This day on August 21
Acquired: Don Jackson (1981) Pat Falloon (1998) Dan Smith (2003)
Departed: Don Murdoch (1981)

Happy Birthday To: Entwhistle, ameeratif, Rosco11, etnies.80

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Chiarelli's Presser
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Chiarelli's Presser [message #694719]
Tue, 16 May 2017 11:27 Go to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Key takeaways:

- wants to improve faceoffs; will improve internally as they were specific on it in exit interviews. Specifically said that Nuge is getting stronger (6'1", almost 200lbs)
- thought that team showed resiliency through the year and in the playoffs.
- he thought they would be in meaningful games in March, but kind of sounded like he wasn't expecting them to make the playoffs - they exceeded his expectations.
- says they're about middle of the pack in terms of expansion vulnerability. They will lose a player that they don't want to.
- Eberle/Nuge - Gregor mentioned that they were big down the stretch and then didn't produce in the playoffs, how do you evaluate them? Chiarelli defended them pretty strongly I thought. Said he had guys in Boston that struggled early in their playoff careers and then figured it out. Specifically said that he liked Ebs cycle game for his quickness and creativity (What? I was told that he's slow and lazy along the boards). He did say there's still board work issues, but that he did see flashes from a "power perspective", but needs to be more consistent with it (again, I heard he is weak and has no heart, so that's weird).
- pretty happy with the D group, and with the PP specifically without a pure PP D. I agree with him here, they run their PP through McDavid on the half-wall, and not through the point like SJ does.
- still thinks there is room for the D group to grow internally as they are young and got great experience this year. Specifically said that Nurse was able to move up with Larsson and Benning was able to move up with Russell and they performed well.
- said SJ and Ana are still ahead of the Oilers in terms of their D group.
- Terry Jones asked him after having success with the Hall trade, is he looking to do something similar this summer. Chiarelli said that was a tough one and not sure he wants to delve into something like that again. This might have been the most interesting comment of the presser I thougt. Nuge/Ebs aren't Hall, but you could definitely draw a parallel if they were to get moved. To me, it sounds like he may not be looking to move them (maybe wishful thinking on my part). Said the team had success and doesn't want to move the team's roster around too much.
- McDavid/Drai signings are the priority before he looks at signing anyone else.
- Cap-wise they're in good shape for next year and then might be more of an issue the next year when Connor's deal kicks in.
- Leon in the middle vs. on the wing: said that was 4 hours of their pro-meetings. Wants to give McLellan the ability to flip him around, which again leads me to believe they might not be looking to move Nuge. Would look at getting a guy that can play wing and centre and take faceoffs. Used Desharnais as an example of a guy that did that a little bit, so again, doesn't sound like they're trying to make a big move in that department.
- Generally the most positive exit meetings he's been a part of. Every player is looking forward to next year with a "job not done" mentality.
- got into draft a bit and the Oilers not having a 2nd round pick. Not concerned at all, have two 3rds. Past data has shown that the drop from 2nd round to 3rd isn't very big.
- would like to bring Russell back, but McDavid/Drai are the priority and he needs to have certainty on those two first.
- not worried about a Drai offer sheet as they have lots of cap space to match, and a team would only do it to try to punish the Oilers. I don't know why teams don't take this approach, but I agree with Chiarelli that this doesn't happen in the NHL.

As an aside, listening to Rishaug on Lowetide's show after, spouting off about how he asked Chiarelli about it at the trade deadline, and basically if Chiarelli had listened to him they might be in the conference final right now. So obnoxious.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Chiarelli's Presser [message #694721 is a reply to message #694719 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 11:27

Key takeaways:

- wants to improve faceoffs; will improve internally as they were specific on it in exit interviews. Specifically said that Nuge is getting stronger (6'1", almost 200lbs)
- thought that team showed resiliency through the year and in the playoffs.
- he thought they would be in meaningful games in March, but kind of sounded like he wasn't expecting them to make the playoffs - they exceeded his expectations.
- says they're about middle of the pack in terms of expansion vulnerability. They will lose a player that they don't want to.
- Eberle/Nuge - Gregor mentioned that they were big down the stretch and then didn't produce in the playoffs, how do you evaluate them? Chiarelli defended them pretty strongly I thought. Said he had guys in Boston that struggled early in their playoff careers and then figured it out. Specifically said that he liked Ebs cycle game for his quickness and creativity (What? I was told that he's slow and lazy along the boards). He did say there's still board work issues, but that he did see flashes from a "power perspective", but needs to be more consistent with it (again, I heard he is weak and has no heart, so that's weird).
- pretty happy with the D group, and with the PP specifically without a pure PP D. I agree with him here, they run their PP through McDavid on the half-wall, and not through the point like SJ does.
- still thinks there is room for the D group to grow internally as they are young and got great experience this year. Specifically said that Nurse was able to move up with Larsson and Benning was able to move up with Russell and they performed well.
- said SJ and Ana are still ahead of the Oilers in terms of their D group.
- Terry Jones asked him after having success with the Hall trade, is he looking to do something similar this summer. Chiarelli said that was a tough one and not sure he wants to delve into something like that again. This might have been the most interesting comment of the presser I thougt. Nuge/Ebs aren't Hall, but you could definitely draw a parallel if they were to get moved. To me, it sounds like he may not be looking to move them (maybe wishful thinking on my part). Said the team had success and doesn't want to move the team's roster around too much.
- McDavid/Drai signings are the priority before he looks at signing anyone else.
- Cap-wise they're in good shape for next year and then might be more of an issue the next year when Connor's deal kicks in.
- Leon in the middle vs. on the wing: said that was 4 hours of their pro-meetings. Wants to give McLellan the ability to flip him around, which again leads me to believe they might not be looking to move Nuge. Would look at getting a guy that can play wing and centre and take faceoffs. Used Desharnais as an example of a guy that did that a little bit, so again, doesn't sound like they're trying to make a big move in that department.
- Generally the most positive exit meetings he's been a part of. Every player is looking forward to next year with a "job not done" mentality.
- got into draft a bit and the Oilers not having a 2nd round pick. Not concerned at all, have two 3rds. Past data has shown that the drop from 2nd round to 3rd isn't very big.
- would like to bring Russell back, but McDavid/Drai are the priority and he needs to have certainty on those two first.
- not worried about a Drai offer sheet as they have lots of cap space to match, and a team would only do it to try to punish the Oilers. I don't know why teams don't take this approach, but I agree with Chiarelli that this doesn't happen in the NHL.

As an aside, listening to Rishaug on Lowetide's show after, spouting off about how he asked Chiarelli about it at the trade deadline, and basically if Chiarelli had listened to him they might be in the conference final right now. So obnoxious.

Interesting presser. The Sekera news is a kick in the guy.

I get the sentiment about wanting flexibility with centers and playing them on the wing if you want too. I think having Leon at center is the best for the Oilers so if they want to try Nuge on the wing, doesn't hurt to try it but he has to be in the top 6. At his salary, makes zero sense to have him as a 3rd line center.

I am a little surprised about his comments about Nuge and faceoffs. He's 6 yrs into his career and still brutal. I hope they have some secret training that will pay off because I am not seeing it right now. But I guess he can't be shredding your players so what else will he say.

I think his comments on Eberle were partly damage control. He's got to say things to try and salvage something of the player. I personally think he is a goner.

No surprised about wanting to keep Russell. I think that is the plan all along provided the dollars and years are right. With the Sekera injury I think it makes it more logical to do it. Sounds like he is looking to add defense even with the Sekera injury which is great.

Other than that, nothing earth shattering other than the Sekera injury

Re: Chiarelli's Presser [message #694722 is a reply to message #694721 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 11:08

I think his comments on Eberle were partly damage control. He's got to say things to try and salvage something of the player. I personally think he is a goner.

Ya, this wouldn't surprise me. But I think (hope) that it shows that Chiarelli recognizes that Eberle has value and that he's not looking to offload him at any cost (ie. for a draft pick and a bad contract), the old "addition by subtraction" move.

Re: Chiarelli's Presser [message #694724 is a reply to message #694722 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 12:56

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 11:08

Ya, this wouldn't surprise me. But I think (hope) that it shows that Chiarelli recognizes that Eberle has value and that he's not looking to offload him at any cost (ie. for a draft pick and a bad contract), the old "addition by subtraction" move.

I agree. I don't think he will just dump Eberle for anything or leave him exposed like some people think which is crazy. I do think he will pursue a trade. I do think he has value and teams would like him. I think he is worth more than a pick or prospect but a real NHL player. I could see him getting a winger that can maybe play center back or a dman. I could see a guy that is younger, maybe not quite established or on the cusp.

Something interesting that keeps coming up. Dreger mentioned the Islanders when talking about Eberle today. He's mentioned them before. Friedman mentioned the Islanders last week when talking Eberle as a team that makes sense. Dreger thinks Eberle is a goner and needs to be gone for a change. A name he threw out was Ryan Strome from the Isles. At this point, I don't know how I feel one way or the other. I don't know a ton about him. He's a center/RW who just hasn't found traction with the Islanders. Dreger is a plugged in guy and usually doesn't just throw out random names like a internet guy like Eklund.

Re: Chiarelli's Presser [message #694725 is a reply to message #694719 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 11:27

I've thought about this lately and I think the reason it doesn't happen is for the same reason teams would do it - players aren't stupid and don't want to do something that will embitter their own team and possibly handcuff them related to cap. They can use another team's interest to leverage more out of their own team without actually signing an offer sheet - that's more of the nuclear option when there is a stalemate in the talks (ie. Ryan O'Reilly w/ Calgary) or when they actually want to leave and go elsewhere (ie. Shea Weber with Philadelphia).

I guess the one other situation it might make sense is if the number being offered is out of the world lunacy that the player A) couldn't pass up and B) the other team won't come close to without the offer sheet. The Vanek offer sheet might fall in to this space.

I think most players who this applies to haven't moved often in their career and there's a sense of familiarity with the team they're on, so to sign an offer sheet risks a lot. You don't know for sure where you're going to end up, or how your team will take it - they may match, but there may be a lot of (misplaced) anger directed at you for going that option. Certainly, with O'Reilly, it was the beginning of the end for him in Colorado when Feaster put that offer sheet in front of him.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Chiarelli's Presser [message #694730 is a reply to message #694719 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 16:50 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Thanks for the summary.

Looks like an anti-MacT presser. Talking up assets no matter how they performed. Positive spins. Not showing his hand on who he actually is down on and wants to move. Talking like he doesn't have to do a single thing because the team did so well and he has so many pieces that are still developing. Basically taking a stance that he is going into any discussion on a trade from a position of strength.

Highly doubting Nuge is moved. I think McLellan has all the time in the world to bring Nuge along, and Nuge rewarded him with a great effort throughout the playoffs. He does need to have a good summer though, hope he comes in next year with some more speed and explosiveness in his skating.

Hopefully a good summer coming.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 May 2017 18:54]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Playoff Bracket Challenge
Next Topic:OBC loses a great - Buchy to Islanders
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca