This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694716]
Tue, 16 May 2017 10:42 Go to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/oilers-sekera-to-miss-6-9-months-with-torn -acl-1.753220

Wonder what that means for our D?

Don't think we need to panic sign anyone to replace him, but it'll impact us at least for the first month of the season, maybe longer.

No Mo' Lowe

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694717 is a reply to message #694716 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Just watched Chia's presser, where he mentioned this, he didn't seem to concerned. Bad news for Sekera though, hopefully he's back sooner rather than later, but ACL injuries shouldn't be rushed back.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694718 is a reply to message #694716 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

From Chia's presser, it sounded like he wants to bring Russell back. My take is that he might start Russell on the left side, and look to bring in a RHD in some form.

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694720 is a reply to message #694718 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 10:45

From Chia's presser, it sounded like he wants to bring Russell back. My take is that he might start Russell on the left side, and look to bring in a RHD in some form.

I would agree with that.

When he mentioned the defense even before he talked about Sekera being done, he didn't say anything bad but he didn't say they are a finished, championship defense. So that would lead me to believe that he would be looking to add defense even if Sekera wasn't hurt so badly.

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694727 is a reply to message #694716 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

This is a HUGE blow.

6-9 months of recovery puts him back sometime between November and February. He'll miss a good chunk of the season.

Means two things:

1) The need for a strong Top-4 RHD is stronger than ever. They need some stability on that second pairing as it is in turmoil right now. Time to revisit Hamonic and/or Barrie.

2) There is now a door open for a LHD UFA. I didn't know where Russell would fit in before; now it is obvious. That said, I'm not convinced he's they guy they should target. LH UFAs include: Michael Del Zotto, Brian Campbell, Brendan Smith, Dmitri Kulikov, Andre Markov, and Trevor Daley. Ideally you want the guy on a one-year deal; most of them (including Russell) will be looking for term. But what about Brian Campbell or Andrei Markov? Seems like both could be interested in a one-year deal.

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694728 is a reply to message #694716 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 10:42

Don't think we need to panic sign anyone to replace him, but it'll impact us at least for the first month of the season, maybe longer.

Sigh. Was such a harmless play too. Reminds me of Pitlick where it didn't even look like his knee was bent much at all.

Definitely need to bring someone on board this year for the top 4. Wonder what a year of Mike Green would cost.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694737 is a reply to message #694716 ]
Tue, 16 May 2017 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

That's a little ambitious. I think it will impact them more than the first month. I wouldn't expect him until at least late December. Then he won't be the same Sekera for a while. If ever. He's not 22 years old.

Very bad news for our D. Chiarelli will need to be an astute GM this summer.

Limecat Logic

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #694742 is a reply to message #694737 ]
Wed, 17 May 2017 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 16 May 2017 22:20

That's a little ambitious. I think it will impact them more than the first month. I wouldn't expect him until at least late December. Then he won't be the same Sekera for a while. If ever. He's not 22 years old.

Very bad news for our D. Chiarelli will need to be an astute GM this summer.

And with 4 more years at 5.5MM with a NMC, too. Obviously I'm rooting for him to come come back at 100%, but we all remember what happened to Ryan Whitney. If I'm the GM, I am assuming Sekera's new normal when he comes back is 75% of his pre-injury performance, and I am finding a 1-year stop gap at 2LD with the hopes that Nurse can take that spot in 2018-19 for Klefbom/Larsson level money and max term (relegating Sekera to the 3rd pairing). Worse case scenario is that Sekera comes back a shadow of his former self, Nurse can't rise to the second pairing in 2018-19, and we are stuck with an expensive log-jam on the third pairing, with no real second pairing talent.

It's a lot of speculation on my part, but a torn ACL at 30 for a d-man is a pretty big deal; probabilistically speaking, I think it is more likely that we see a notable performance drop than a return to previous levels.

Edit: Clarification of a point as I be dumb.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 May 2017 07:00]

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #697515 is a reply to message #694742 ]
Sun, 09 July 2017 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....recent Sekera interview, but it is in Swedish.....

...anyone able to translate?..

https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/284935/andrej-sekera-stanleyho- pohar-je-blizko/

hope there is some info about how his ACL is mending...

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #697516 is a reply to message #697515 ]
Sun, 09 July 2017 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 09 July 2017 17:59

Go on to Lowetide, he deciphered it, says it might only take 6 months... but I'd say that is way too early to tell, he'll won't really know until 3 to 4 months on how long it'll take.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL [message #697521 is a reply to message #697516 ]
Mon, 10 July 2017 08:22 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 July 2017 19:11

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 09 July 2017 17:59

Go on to Lowetide, he deciphered it, says it might only take 6 months... but I'd say that is way too early to tell, he'll won't really know until 3 to 4 months on how long it'll take.

Healing time might only take 6 months but how long before he's up to speed and in shape, that is the big mystery. He won't be able to train normally for a good chunk of his offseason. He will miss all of training camp and a huge chunk of games. I am sure he won't come in all fat but there is a big difference between being in good shape vs good playing shape. It might take him another month at least to somewhat catch up to the rest of the league speed wise.

Previous Topic:Oilers sign Auvitu
Next Topic:Oilers Sign Ty Rattie
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca