This day on April 30
Acquired: Bryan Muir (1996)

Happy Birthday To: oilfan351, CaptainBucky, Oilersfanatic6, oilers80s, Molsonmagneto

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691956]
Thu, 20 April 2017 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT)
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   85%
San Jose to win:   15%
46 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2016-17P Regular Season
Wednesday, April 12, 2017San Jose 3 @ Edmonton 2 (OT)Loss
Friday, April 14, 2017San Jose 0 @ Edmonton 2Win
Sunday, April 16, 2017Edmonton 1 @ San Jose 0Win
Tuesday, April 18, 2017Edmonton 0 @ San Jose 7Loss
Thursday, April 20, 2017San Jose 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Win
Saturday, April 22, 2017Edmonton 3 @ San Jose 1Win
Home Record: 2-0-1       Road Record: 2-1-0       Overall Record: 4-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 8/4 Total: 12
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/8 Total: 14

2015-16 Regular Season
Wednesday, December 9, 2015San Jose 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Win
Thursday, January 14, 2016Edmonton 1 @ San Jose 2 (OT) (SO)Loss
Tuesday, March 8, 2016San Jose 3 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Thursday, March 24, 2016Edmonton 6 @ San Jose 3Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-1       Overall Record: 2-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 4/7 Total: 11
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/5 Total: 11

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691958 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twilson1111  is currently offline twilson1111

No Cups

It could go either way! The Oilers have been surprising me all year but they will need to do it again in a big way in order to recover from that shameful display last game. Not sure if McDavid is mature enough yet to know what to say to the guys. I want to see his face on the bench showing so much intensity that you wouldn't trust him to grip a glass of water without breaking it. He needs to prove that he's on Crosby's level by keeping that intensity up when the checking is close.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691959 is a reply to message #691958 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

twilson1111 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 07:09

It could go either way! The Oilers have been surprising me all year but they will need to do it again in a big way in order to recover from that shameful display last game. Not sure if McDavid is mature enough yet to know what to say to the guys. I want to see his face on the bench showing so much intensity that you wouldn't trust him to grip a glass of water without breaking it. He needs to prove that he's on Crosby's level by keeping that intensity up when the checking is close.

Don't think he needs to say much. Lead on the ice. I want the Conner that came to play against Sidney Crosby.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691963 is a reply to message #691958 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

twilson1111 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 07:09

Granted he's already been a part of more playoff wins than Crosby in their respective 2nd years (good luck matching next season ;) ), but I would like to see a more focused a disciplined McDavid tonight. He was getting into too much of the extra stuff, and the Sharks showed their veteran chops. Biggest play was Pavelski's flopping around after McDavid took and bait and engaged with him that created the 5 on 3. McDavid's game really unravelled along with the rest of the team after that.

Obviously need more out of Drai as well. He owes the group big time for leaving them killing a 5 min major for a selfish play.

Most importantly, the team needs to get back to being physical. No reason for the team we have to not be able to dominate that aspect of the game. Of course that requires playing smart enough to control and anticipate the play a bit. Can't play physical if you're 10 steps behind all night long and no one is moving the puck fast enough to not get plastered themselves.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2017 08:30]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691960 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

13/10 They're big games, Brent.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691962 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Time to show their character. Will they be the young kids getting schooled or the team that blanked the Sharks twice in a row? Any way you look at it tonight is going to be the best game of the series, which considering the great hockey to date being played is saying a lot.

Go Oilers...... Crash rock

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691964 is a reply to message #691962 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Paging McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge & Eberle. We could really need you.

Nuge & Eberle, you've been waiting your whole career to play in the playoffs. Being better defensively is great and all but now would be a great time to step it up.

I expect Talbot to be fantastic tonight. He's not to blame for the last loss but the entire team including him were not sharp in game 3.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691966 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

If history is any indication, here are all the series in Oilers playoff history that have been tied 2-2 after 4 games:

1982: round 1 vs Kings (best of 5): Oilers lost game 5 to lose series
1985: round 3 vs Hawks: Oilers win game 5 and win series in 6
1986: round 2 vs Flames: Oilers lose game 5 and lose series in 7
1990: round 3 vs Hawks: Oilers win game 5 and win series in 6
1992: round 1 vs Kings: Oilers win game 5 and win series in 6
1997: round 1 vs Stars: Oilers win game 5 and win series in 7
2001: round 1 vs Stars Oilers lose game 5 and lose series in 6
2003: round 1 vs Stars Oilers lose game 5 and lose series in 6
2006: round 1 vs Red Wings: Oilers win game 5 and win series in 6
2006: round 2 vs Sharks: Oilers win game 5 and win series in 6

So the Oilers are 6-4 when tied after four games (6-3 if you don't count the one best of five series). The key message though is that in the winner of game 5 has won every single series.

So this could be an important game....

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691976 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack
Caggiula-McDavid-Draisaitl, Lucic-RNH-Eberle, Maroon-Letestu-Kassian, Pouliot-Desharnais-Slepyshev, same d-pairs.

For whatever the reason, injury or what, Maroon has been a total drag on the 1st line, so not surprised McLellan finally dropped him down. Hopefully he can get something done playing a little less, being a bit more fresh for his shifts.

Need a big game out of McDavid/Drai if we're gonna have a shot.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691977 is a reply to message #691976 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 10:48

Caggiula-McDavid-Draisaitl, Lucic-RNH-Eberle, Maroon-Letestu-Kassian, Pouliot-Desharnais-Slepyshev, same d-pairs.

For whatever the reason, injury or what, Maroon has been a total drag on the 1st line, so not surprised McLellan finally dropped him down. Hopefully he can get something done playing a little less, being a bit more fresh for his shifts.

I don't mind this... Caggiula played the final game of the regular season with Connor and Leon. That third line sure could be a bruising line. Last time Maroon was demoted in the reg season, IIRC, he took it personal and came out flying forcing TMac to put him back on the top line.

I do have to say I believe Lander would be more serviceable than Desharnais on the 4th line and PK

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691980 is a reply to message #691977 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 11:00

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 10:48

I don't mind this... Caggiula played the final game of the regular season with Connor and Leon. That third line sure could be a bruising line. Last time Maroon was demoted in the reg season, IIRC, he took it personal and came out flying forcing TMac to put him back on the top line.

I do have to say I believe Lander would be more serviceable than Desharnais on the 4th line and PK

I'd agree with all that.
Also, someone get Maroon's kid a ticket to the game. Maybe that's the catalyst he needs to get going.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692002 is a reply to message #691976 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 09:48

Rishaug saying Drai has been run down and not himself. Wonder if a flu or cold running around.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692003 is a reply to message #692002 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 17:32

Rishaug saying Drai has been run down and not himself. Wonder if a flu or cold running around.

Spector had an article today saying Drai looked pale and was coughing yesterday during interviews. Does seem like he is under the weather. Hopefully better today.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692004 is a reply to message #692003 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 18:07

Spector had an article today saying Drai looked pale and was coughing yesterday during interviews. Does seem like he is under the weather. Hopefully better today.

nvm, he was talking about today. Here is the video:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/pre-game-raw--leon-draisait l/t-277437406/c-51590703

Drai coughs a bunch of times through it, mostly in the last min or so of the scrum. hmmm.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692006 is a reply to message #692004 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 17:33

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 18:07

nvm, he was talking about today. Here is the video:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/pre-game-raw--leon-draisait l/t-277437406/c-51590703

Drai coughs a bunch of times through it, mostly in the last min or so of the scrum. hmmm.

Yeah, dude looks like he's fighting a bad cold.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691982 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Several Sharks just informed me that the ice was still wet at 1130 when their practice was supposed to start. Asked me to tweet it.. so..

lol

Mark Spector‏ @SportsnetSpec
11:23 http://a.m.at Rogers Place. Lights on, nets out, Sharks on early for 11:30 morning skate.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C932LUqU0AIk2Rt.jpg

Probably had an hour to get the ice ready, but ice crew didn't get out there until just before the Sharks practice was to start :) Probably drove as slow as possible too.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2017 12:12]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691985 is a reply to message #691982 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The Oilers never said a damn thing when they had to be out there in the dark with no nets because they were "early". Sharks need to shut the hell up.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691992 is a reply to message #691985 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hubbs  is currently offline Hubbs

No Cups

I get the impression that they're poking fun at the Oilers or media for making a story of the lights out situation.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691993 is a reply to message #691992 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hubbs wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 14:57

I get the impression that they're poking fun at the Oilers or media for making a story of the lights out situation.

I'm sure they would have liked to be out on the ice early. You can see them standing around waiting. Oilers just made sure they can't do anything until the last minute by getting the ice crew out as late as possible.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691997 is a reply to message #691993 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I don't mind the line up changes. Caggulia has been skating really well and adding a little speed with McDavid might open things up plus Maroon just hasn't looked that good. I also think that maybe by putting Maroon with his buddy Kassian, it will fire up Maroon a little and get him going. That could be a really effective line.

I am in different to the 4th line. Some people were calling for Desharnais to be benched. Does swapping in Hendricks for him do anything? I don't know. Hendricks would bring some energy probably but he's a lot slower. The Oilers already have enough guys running around, do they need another?

Just go out there, play your game. Feed off the crowd, get the legs going, get the hitting going and stay out of the damn box.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691998 is a reply to message #691997 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 16:06

I don't mind the line up changes. Caggulia has been skating really well and adding a little speed with McDavid might open things up plus Maroon just hasn't looked that good. I also think that maybe by putting Maroon with his buddy Kassian, it will fire up Maroon a little and get him going. That could be a really effective line.

I am in different to the 4th line. Some people were calling for Desharnais to be benched. Does swapping in Hendricks for him do anything? I don't know. Hendricks would bring some energy probably but he's a lot slower. The Oilers already have enough guys running around, do they need another?

Just go out there, play your game. Feed off the crowd, get the legs going, get the hitting going and stay out of the damn box.

Lander, I truly believe, would be an upgrade on Desharnais. Lander can be an effective 4C by winning a faceoff and successfully play the PK, none of which Desharnais has shown being capable of. Their offence is a wash as neither are offensively gifted.

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #691999 is a reply to message #691998 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 16:23

Lander, I truly believe, would be an upgrade on Desharnais. Lander can be an effective 4C by winning a faceoff and successfully play the PK, none of which Desharnais has shown being capable of. Their offence is a wash as neither are offensively gifted.

I'd put Lander in before Hendricks, as #23 has been dead-weight for most of the year so far. If he gets out there and turns into Pisani Part Three, I'll take back what I said.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692007 is a reply to message #691997 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

This team needs a true finisher so badly. It's likely why they didn't run away with the division.

A true finisher would make the improved, but imperfect D, not as much a factor. Lets face it, this team or any other team would be centered around McDavid, not built from the D out. He needs that vital piece badly.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2017 19:11]

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692000 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V  is currently offline V

No Cups

I'm conditioned to expect to be disappointed, so I'm my heart of hearts I'm expecting another pounding. No matter what my head says, I can't help but brace for the beating.

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 April 2008 11:39

V is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Suck it J$.

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692001 is a reply to message #692000 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

V wrote on Thu, 20 April 2017 16:57

I'm conditioned to expect to be disappointed, so I'm my heart of hearts I'm expecting another pounding. No matter what my head says, I can't help but brace for the beating.

Just imagine how stressed Hall must be. Probably jabbing his McDavid voodoo doll as we speak icon_wink

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692008 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Feeling good, its Connor Time.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #692010 is a reply to message #691956 ]
Thu, 20 April 2017 20:35 Go to previous message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

LET'S DO THIS

Previous Topic:GDT: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #5)
Next Topic:It's A New Day, Yes It Is.
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca