This day on April 30
Acquired: Bryan Muir (1996)

Happy Birthday To: oilfan351, CaptainBucky, Oilersfanatic6, oilers80s, Molsonmagneto

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691497]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 56%
San Jose to win: 44%
45 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691505 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

http://www.getcoloringpages.com/images/19/19y31wf.jpg

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691507 is a reply to message #691505 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:26

Yes. YEEESSSSS!!! Wave Towel

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691521 is a reply to message #691505 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:26

Woooooooooohooooooooo!!!!

That was pretty tight all night. Not a lot of room for error out there.

I don't mind the switched up lines because Draisaitl looked a little owly after the switch. He hit Burns a few times. And Slepyshev took a lot of abuse in the game day thread, but I thought he was fine. Unspectacular, but that's okay. He got the puck to McDavid, and he tried to shoot whenever the puck came near him. That's all I'd be looking for out of him.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691508 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Effn' EH !!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691509 is a reply to message #691508 ]
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

ALL DAY BABY, ALL DAY, LET'S GO BOYS

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691510 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

Not the dominant performance of Game 2, but a hell of a lot better than Game 1.

And most importantly, first road win in the playoffs for most of these kids.

Keep it up. Win the next one and then advance at home.

Maroon is not playing well at all. Draisatl got better as the game went on, but he needs to sort his game out a little.

Much, MUCH more disciplined team. Was worried we'd give them another 6 PPs, but just the two.

Kassian remains GOAT.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691511 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

No Cups

http://i.imgur.com/yPk7z2B.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691512 is a reply to message #691511 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You got to think, if the Oilers hung on to that 2-0 lead they got in the first game the series would be 3-0.

Also, the Oilers got one PP that was a little over a minute long due to the infraction happening during the Sharks PP. Don't seem like they are getting any calls.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691519 is a reply to message #691512 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 21:35

You got to think, if the Oilers hung on to that 2-0 lead they got in the first game the series would be 3-0.

Also, the Oilers got one PP that was a little over a minute long due to the infraction happening during the Sharks PP. Don't seem like they are getting any calls.

Nope. And I think there was a conscious effort not to go too physical with the sharks to remove the chance that the ref might make a "discretionary" call against, or a SJ player (like Meir) would do some theatrics to draw one. Smart plan .. except Pouliot appears to have missed that meeting..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691530 is a reply to message #691519 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:59

Nope. And I think there was a conscious effort not to go too physical with the sharks to remove the chance that the ref might make a "discretionary" call against, or a SJ player (like Meir) would do some theatrics to draw one. Smart plan .. except Pouliot appears to have missed that meeting..

That Pouliot call. Was it as weak as I thought it was? He gets hit down awkwardly, goes to the guy and gives him a little shot, nothing that bad. Sharks did many plays just like that throughout the game, and nothing. The first period had like 10 hits by the Sharks that were 2+ seconds late, nothing. Oiler gets rid of the puck, takes like 5 strides and there is still a Shark there chasing him down to throw a hit. So stupid.

Glad we weathered that ref green-lit push by the Sharks in the 1st though where anything was allowed no matter how late.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 April 2017 23:42]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691531 is a reply to message #691530 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 23:40

That Pouliot call. Was it as weak as I thought it was? He gets hit down awkwardly, goes to the guy and gives him a little shot, nothing that bad. Sharks did many plays just like that throughout the game, and nothing. The first period had like 10 hits by the Sharks that were 2+ seconds late, nothing. Oiler gets rid of the puck, takes like 5 strides and there is still a Shark there chasing him down to throw a hit. So stupid.

I believe it was the second shot that he gave a different Sharks player that was penalized. You could see it right at the end of the replay. He broke his stick over the guy. Pretty tough not to call that, especially after letting him get away with that first one (which is the one most people seem to think he was called for)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691532 is a reply to message #691531 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 23:43

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 23:40

I believe it was the second shot that he gave a different Sharks player that was penalized. You could see it right at the end of the replay. He broke his stick over the guy. Pretty tough not to call that, especially after letting him get away with that first one (which is the one most people seem to think he was called for)

Dang it Poo! :)

Yeah, I didn't catch the extra one then. Lucky SJ's PP was still stinkin it up.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691513 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

Great road game.

I really like the grit in Ebs and Nudge's game, hopefully playoff hockey will help them become better players long term. Nurse and Benning both looked solid too.

Only person I really saw have a rough night was Russell, couldn't seem to do anything with puck.

Goo times in oil town.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2017 09:32]

Renaissance 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691514 is a reply to message #691513 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

ChasinStanley wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:44

Great road game.

I really like the grit in Ebs and Nudge's game, hopefully playoff hockey will help them become better players long term. Nurse and banning both looked solid too.

Only person I really saw have a rough night was Russell, couldn't seem to do anything with puck.

Goo times in oil town.

Nurse was fantastic tonight. Great stick work, kept shooting lanes clear and kept Sharks from getting much on their shots when he was out there.

Second line deserves a goal or two. They've been our most consistent line.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691515 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Phew.

Another strong game from the 2nd line I thought. Nuge with 5 shots on net to lead all players.

Eberle out on the last shift of the game after a SJ timeout, for a defensive zone draw in a 1-0 playoff game on the road. Maybe he's not so useless defensively?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691518 is a reply to message #691515 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:48

Phew.

Another strong game from the 2nd line I thought. Nuge with 5 shots on net to lead all players.

Eberle out on the last shift of the game after a SJ timeout, for a defensive zone draw in a 1-0 playoff game on the road. Maybe he's not so useless defensively?

Ebs has stepped up his game for sure, but he was only out there, I'm guessing, due to the Oilers taking an icing call prior to the time out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691524 is a reply to message #691518 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 21:56

Phew.

Ebs has stepped up his game for sure, but he was only out there, I'm guessing, due to the Oilers taking an icing call prior to the time out.

Ah, you're right. He's still sent over the boards with less than an minute left in a 1-0 playoff game.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 April 2017 23:13]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691525 is a reply to message #691524 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Damn, the last Oiler Playoff road victory before tonight was Pisani's shorthanded OT game 5 of the Finals.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691529 is a reply to message #691518 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:56

Phew.

Nuge and Ebs have 100% bought into what McLellan is selling, and it's starting to really pay off. Probably why they are the last golden boys standing, they showed the same willingness last season, although were not close to getting the results yet at that point. Some other remnants of rebuild #2 we had, just wanted to play their own way.

If Ebs can get his shot back this summer, he may well be on our 1st line next year and actually be able to keep the spot.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691533 is a reply to message #691529 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Have to say I was so impressed by the team tonight, San Jose obviously came out physical again to swing the momentum to themselves, but we took it and slowly pushed back. It was the perfect road game in the playoff's, did they really look like they were threatening us? I think they had a couple of clear chances the rest of the shots were through the crowd or high wide and handsome.

We didn't create much ourselves, but we did at least look more like scoring at times and now of course having passed the test on the road our confidence will soar. Kelfbom should have passed to McDavid right at the end, don't think he'd have missed the open net, and it would have kept his point streak going also.

Back in 06, Pisani was the unlikely hero, Kassian has taken that mantle so far. Every side needs someone to step up other than the stars and he's been the one this round so far. Whilst Drai and Maroon have been poor so far, with others taking the lead we've still had a good team effort, which is always promising.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691538 is a reply to message #691529 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:35

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 22:56

Phew.

Nuge and Ebs have 100% bought into what McLellan is selling, and it's starting to really pay off. Probably why they are the last golden boys standing, they showed the same willingness last season, although were not close to getting the results yet at that point. Some other remnants of rebuild #2 we had, just wanted to play their own way.

If Ebs can get his shot back this summer, he may well be on our 1st line next year and actually be able to keep the spot.

I think they might have been thinking of trading Nuge for cap space this summer, but he's really bringing it, IMHO he's made a transition, getting his confidence and belief back after being beaten like a rented mule for the 1st few years of his career. Hope they keep him.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691516 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Weathered the early storm, including the exaggerated hit totals from the 1st period (the SJ stats guy must count contact as a hit), and basically had an excellent road game from there. Talbot was outstanding if not heroic in the shutout. Kassian, looking like the second coming of Pisani plus a mean streak.

The penalty issue for the Oilers in the first two games was pretty much addressed tonight, the inevitable dumb Pouliot penalty was a setback, but the kill and Talbot bailed him out.

For the last decade, we've seen the Oilers commit the fatal error or errors that cost hockey games. Tonight we saw it from the Sharks in the turnover leading to Kassian's GWG.

Interesting to see Leon centering the 3rd line. I've got mixed feelings on it, McLellan obviously wants to get his legs going, and playing center in the playoffs will force that to happen. I think that line with Kassian and Caggiula can get things done.

Excellent road game for the 2nd line, Nuge stepped it up in the circle and had 5 shots. I'd like to see that line rewarded on the sheet, it'll come with their play. You've got to have secondary threats on the road.

This kinda had the feeling of Clay/Liston....the game and maybe the series. The trends are in opposite directions. They got the split in SJ, I'm thinking she's pretty much over if the Oilers can manage a win in the next one.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691539 is a reply to message #691516 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 01:52

Weathered the early storm, including the exaggerated hit totals from the 1st period (the SJ stats guy must count contact as a hit)

Didn't get to watch the game as I was on a plane (why do all planes not have wifi this day in age?). Was thrilled to see the final score, but the one thing that jumped out at me was the hits - did the Sharks take it to the Oilers or was it as you say a case of a generous stats guy?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691540 is a reply to message #691539 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 04:11

Weathered the early storm, including the exaggerated hit totals from the 1st period (the SJ stats guy must count contact as a hit)

Didn't get to watch the game as I was on a plane (why do all planes not have wifi this day in age?). Was thrilled to see the final score, but the one thing that jumped out at me was the hits - did the Sharks take it to the Oilers or was it as you say a case of a generous stats guy?

They did in the first. It was very similar to game 1 in Edmonton. Every shark was trying to take runs at Oilers. Wasn't as well done as we did it IMO. Maybe I'm biased (no way!), but I thought a lot of the SJ hits were really late. If you were an Oiler and you touched the puck, you were fair game to be hit for the next 5 seconds it seemed.

But, the sharks ran out of that extra emotional energy and the game leveled out after that.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2017 07:53]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691541 is a reply to message #691540 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 07:45

They did in the first. It was very similar to game 1 in Edmonton. Every shark was trying to take runs at Oilers. Wasn't as well done as we did it IMO. Maybe I'm biased (no way!), but I thought a lot of the SJ hits were really late. If you were an Oiler and you touched the puck, you were fair game to be hit for the next 5 seconds it seemed.

But, the sharks ran out of that extra emotional energy and the game leveled out after that.

Oilers twitter was a little sarcastic about the number of hits they credited though...something like 32 in the first period. The bar for what counted as a hit may have been a little lower last night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691545 is a reply to message #691541 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 08:00

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 07:45

Oilers twitter was a little sarcastic about the number of hits they credited though...something like 32 in the first period. The bar for what counted as a hit may have been a little lower last night.

Yeah. The refs and guy counting stats were 100% on board to ensure the reputation of how hard it is to play in the SAP center is still going strong. Sharks can hit whoever, whenever, and every tiny amount of contact counts as a hit.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691565 is a reply to message #691539 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

They did outhit the Oilers in the 1st, but even the PBP even commented going into the second period to the effect that the stat was inflated. I'd guess around 20 of what you would classify as a hit. Good period of hitting, but clearly they blew their wad in the 1st.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691526 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

Can't say enough about Talbot and this team defence. And Kass... beast!!

Food for thought, if TMac wants to keep Draisatl at centre with Kass and Cagguila, do they recall Puljujarvi in the morning and have him ride shotgun to McDavid?

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691528 is a reply to message #691526 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Sun, 16 April 2017 23:15

Can't say enough about Talbot and this team defence. And Kass... beast!!

Food for thought, if TMac wants to keep Draisatl at centre with Kass and Cagguila, do they recall Puljujarvi in the morning and have him ride shotgun to McDavid?

No way. Why throw him in the deep end like that?
I wouldn't mind seeing Cagguila there though. Him and McDavid have looked pretty good when they've been out together.

Huge games by Larsson and Klefbom. Larsson in particular was a beast, shutting down multiple plays before they could develop.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691527 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Sun, 16 April 2017 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Weathered the shark attack in the first and the revenge penalty Pouliot took on Burns ( idiot ) and then just played great hockey! Controlled the puck a lot in the later part of the game and looked so composed. I am so impressed ! They have really come together as a team and what more can you say about Talbot? Kassian and Dry were a force together, creating turnovers on the forecheck and Shlep has the speed to stay with McDavid ( almost )

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691535 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Talking about lack of McLellan and coaching staff adjustment in an earlier game thread. Welp, he did a pretty good job tonight. Drai had a lot of jump after getting his own line. Loved his battles with Burns. That Vlasic/Braun pair has proven to be very formidable for Maroon-McDavid-Drai, especially with Maroon and Dria looking off their games. Spreading things out a bit taking Drai off really helped.

DD actually looked good tonight too. Hope he can follow it up with some more. Lines C'd by Letestu have been hurting lately with loooong shifts in our zone. Another reason it really helped dropping Drai down between Caggiula and Kassian.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691543 is a reply to message #691535 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Hell of a gritty road win by the Oilers. I knew the Sharks would come out guns blazing but so did the Oilers as they mentioned that a few times in post game interviews. When the Sharks were "buzzing" in the first they had a couple of good chances but I thought the Oilers did a nice job of keeping stuff to the outside and as the game progressed, they Oilers slowly took over the game and were the better team. After the first the Sharks didn't do much. The odd time they got a chance, Talbot was there.

The whole hit stuff in the first was laughable. I was at game 2 in Edmonton. The Oilers were running around CRUSHING guys left and right. Kassian gets all the credit for his 2 massive ones but Maroon, Drai, Lucic, Larsson, Nurse, McDavid even Desharnais had big hits. That's just a few guys. By the 3rd period, the Sharks didn't want to get near the puck. I watched the game last night and was there 1 or 2 "big" hits by the Sharks?

Anyway, the Oilers are the better team. Thornton came out there, looked OK in first as in he looked like how a good Old Timer looks at a charity game but then faded quickly. Couture not surprisingly does nothing out there. I don't see how he can given how long he missed and he's not healed. He took off his cage and all the Sportsnet guys were talking about being tough and a warrior. Maybe he can see better but he will be even more tentative because now he's exposed. He doesn't get in scrums, doesn't hit anyone and avoids the boards.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691550 is a reply to message #691543 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

This whole thing about match ups though I thought McLellan did just fine last night and in game 2. If the Sharks want to "match" lines against the McDavid line by placing their best line with their best player against them. Go ahead. Maybe McDavid doesn't scorch the scoring standings but he will score some points because he's just that good. But the most important thing. The Sharks top line and their best player - Pavelski - is scoring NOTHING because he's too preoccupied with trying to control McDavid. Pavelski and his line not scoring is way, way more detrimental to the Sharks than McDavid not lighting it up for the Oilers.

I can say that because the second line is playing well. Nuge has finally found the player he used to be 2 seasons ago. I don't know where he was but he's back and it couldn't come at a better time. He's playing solid 2 way hockey while being that puck stripping, creative, dangerous player he used to be. He was great in game 2 and good in game 3. It's not if, it's when he scores. So the Oilers have the better second line and it's not close. The 3rd line and especially Kassian are a legit threat to score. Kassian looks like this years potential Pisani. He's dangerous all the time. Has 2 game winners in a row, could have had 2 goals last night. Plus he's a wrecking ball.

So what will happen is the Sharks are quickly realizing that the Oilers have the best goalie. They realize that the Oilers defense while not a bunch of all stars is solid and right now and will for this series be every bit as good as the Sharks. The Oilers forwards can also play tight checking lock it down hockey. So the Sharks are going to have to try to open it up to get some offense. As soon as they do that, the Oilers and the McDavid line will light them up because the Oilers have WAY more offensive talent especially since 2 of the Sharks best offensive players - Couture & Thornton - aren't close to being 100%.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691551 is a reply to message #691550 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 08:06

This whole thing about match ups though I thought McLellan did just fine last night and in game 2. If the Sharks want to "match" lines against the McDavid line by placing their best line with their best player against them. Go ahead. Maybe McDavid doesn't scorch the scoring standings but he will score some points because he's just that good. But the most important thing. The Sharks top line and their best player - Pavelski - is scoring NOTHING because he's too preoccupied with trying to control McDavid. Pavelski and his line not scoring is way, way more detrimental to the Sharks than McDavid not lighting it up for the Oilers.

I can say that because the second line is playing well. Nuge has finally found the player he used to be 2 seasons ago. I don't know where he was but he's back and it couldn't come at a better time. He's playing solid 2 way hockey while being that puck stripping, creative, dangerous player he used to be. He was great in game 2 and good in game 3. It's not if, it's when he scores. So the Oilers have the better second line and it's not close. The 3rd line and especially Kassian are a legit threat to score. Kassian looks like this years potential Pisani. He's dangerous all the time. Has 2 game winners in a row, could have had 2 goals last night. Plus he's a wrecking ball.

The interesting thing is that the Sharks didn't match Pavelski's line against McDavid and Pavelski still didn't have much going. They threw Vlasic and Braun out there every chance they could against McDavid, but the forwards that saw the most time against McDavid at even strength were Couture, Marleau and Ward.

Pavelski and Thornton played mostly against the Nuge line, which I think is even more of a testament to how well the 2nd line is playing. They're not just sawing off against SJ's top line, they're actually coming out ahead.

Overall would be nice to see the Oilers score a few more goals, but there's not too much to complain about right now.

You can see the head-to-head TOI at:
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20162017& ;amp ;game=30183

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691554 is a reply to message #691551 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 09:25

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 08:06

The interesting thing is that the Sharks didn't match Pavelski's line against McDavid and Pavelski still didn't have much going. They threw Vlasic and Braun out there every chance they could against McDavid, but the forwards that saw the most time against McDavid at even strength were Couture, Marleau and Ward.

Pavelski and Thornton played mostly against the Nuge line, which I think is even more of a testament to how well the 2nd line is playing. They're not just sawing off against SJ's top line, they're actually coming out ahead.

Overall would be nice to see the Oilers score a few more goals, but there's not too much to complain about right now.

You can see the head-to-head TOI at:
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20162017& ;amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;game=30183

SJ may have the best shutdown D pair in the NHL. Crosby only managed 4 assists in 6 games against them in the finals last year (Pens had 3 goals for, 3 against at even strength in those 6 games when Crosby was out vs Vlasic in the finals).

Being able to shut the SJ guys down too is gonna win the series if we can keep it up. Thinking Drai is gonna be seeing that 3rd line again next game. Kill the sharks by spreading out the skill a bit.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2017 09:40]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691555 is a reply to message #691550 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 09:06

So what will happen is the Sharks are quickly realizing that the Oilers have the best goalie. They realize that the Oilers defense while not a bunch of all stars is solid and right now and will for this series be every bit as good as the Sharks. The Oilers forwards can also play tight checking lock it down hockey. So the Sharks are going to have to try to open it up to get some offense. As soon as they do that, the Oilers and the McDavid line will light them up because the Oilers have WAY more offensive talent especially since 2 of the Sharks best offensive players - Couture & Thornton - aren't close to being 100%.

I agree with this and I think you may have just indirectly ended up in the same place as we were on the line matching idea.
It isnt just about Mcdavid and how to deploy him at home or how to counter the Sharks on the road. It is about upping the odds.
As you mention the second line is playing really well and this opens the door to options.
I think that TMac had the perfect storm yesterday given Drai was struggling, the 2nd is playing well and Kassian is on a mission.
- This allowed them to move Slep to the first. While he didnt light it on fire he didnt do any worse than Drai had been through 2 and a bit games. the line is still dangerous. As mentioned else where the Sharks have an ability to shut down elite players
- The second line is playing well enough that they cant be ignored and the uptick in defensive games from all of them has been a treat
- this allowed the move of Drai to the 3rd. It sparked him but as also allows a little more help for the hottest player on the team in Kass. I think it was Drai on the forecheck that caused the turnover for Kassians goal. shortly after there was another great chance for Zach that was similar.

I think this last two games was the best strategic coaching I have seen from the Oilers in a long time. They forced the Sharks to keep up with them in game 2 and then the simple line juggle served so many different plusses to the team as a whole that it mitigated anything the Sharks tried to do.

As far as McDavid not scoring much, I am fine with it. we all know his points will come, tomorrow, game 5, next series fingers crossed but an added benefit of having the leagues top scorer is the attention HAS to be paid to him allowing the 2nd and 3rd line contribute more as the Sharks simply cant gameplan for everything.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691561 is a reply to message #691555 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 09:49

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 09:06

I agree with this and I think you may have just indirectly ended up in the same place as we were on the line matching idea.
It isnt just about Mcdavid and how to deploy him at home or how to counter the Sharks on the road. It is about upping the odds.
As you mention the second line is playing really well and this opens the door to options.
I think that TMac had the perfect storm yesterday given Drai was struggling, the 2nd is playing well and Kassian is on a mission.
- This allowed them to move Slep to the first. While he didnt light it on fire he didnt do any worse than Drai had been through 2 and a bit games. the line is still dangerous. As mentioned else where the Sharks have an ability to shut down elite players
- The second line is playing well enough that they cant be ignored and the uptick in defensive games from all of them has been a treat
- this allowed the move of Drai to the 3rd. It sparked him but as also allows a little more help for the hottest player on the team in Kass. I think it was Drai on the forecheck that caused the turnover for Kassians goal. shortly after there was another great chance for Zach that was similar.

I think this last two games was the best strategic coaching I have seen from the Oilers in a long time. They forced the Sharks to keep up with them in game 2 and then the simple line juggle served so many different plusses to the team as a whole that it mitigated anything the Sharks tried to do.

As far as McDavid not scoring much, I am fine with it. we all know his points will come, tomorrow, game 5, next series fingers crossed but an added benefit of having the leagues top scorer is the attention HAS to be paid to him allowing the 2nd and 3rd line contribute more as the Sharks simply cant gameplan for everything.

I love the fact the Oilers are winning without McDavid lighting it up. Everyone figured the Oilers were a one line time, you stop McDavid, they lose. Well they are proving everyone wrong. This series is starting to look a little bit like the Cup final vs the Pens. The Sharks did a good job shutting down Crosby but it was the lower lines and scorched them. So in my opinion, the Sharks are in trouble. They either keep going how they are going and having the lower lines beat them up. Or they tweak, put less focus on McDavid and then he will light them up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691566 is a reply to message #691561 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 11:25

I love the fact the Oilers are winning without McDavid lighting it up. Everyone figured the Oilers were a one line time, you stop McDavid, they lose. Well they are proving everyone wrong. This series is starting to look a little bit like the Cup final vs the Pens. The Sharks did a good job shutting down Crosby but it was the lower lines and scorched them. So in my opinion, the Sharks are in trouble. They either keep going how they are going and having the lower lines beat them up. Or they tweak, put less focus on McDavid and then he will light them up.

Let's not get carried away. McDavid's still been in on 40% of our offence in this series. It's a pretty small sample size, and the fact that the Sharks are putting a massive amount of energy in to stopping him (and still requiring their goalie to bail them out a couple times each game) does play a pretty big factor.

I don't think that the 3 goals scored by Klefbom and Kassian (x2) are going to have anyone comparing the Oilers depth to the Malkin and Kessel lines for last year. Maybe if Draisaitl gets going on that third line spot we can build to that though...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3) [message #691548 is a reply to message #691497 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Kassian making Hertl wipe the stupid smile of his face with just a look:

https://gfycat.com/AnyTemptingAfricanpiedkingfisher

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #4)
Next Topic:Heckle XIV (2017) Don't ask about the score
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca