Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
San Jose to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691250 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

http://www.drodd.com/images15/15-15.jpg

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691251 is a reply to message #691250 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Holy crap. Total and utter domination.

You know who I'm really happy for? Nuge and Eberle. They've never heard this. This is awesome. What a game.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691252 is a reply to message #691250 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 23:10

Hell. Yes.

This thing gets reduced to 14.99 (rounded to 15) at the heckle tomorrow.

Friendly reminder: McDavid will be taking 8.725 million more in cap space next season. The time to win is now.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691287 is a reply to message #691250 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 23:10

I literally only came on here tonight to see this post.

Great game. Bring on Game 3.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691253 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

3rd time in NHL history that a playoff game was won with only SH goals (if NBCSN is to believed).

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691256 is a reply to message #691253 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

You can't take that many penalties, you'll lose the game!

Kassian & McDavid: Hold my beer...

#PrayForKlefbom

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691258 is a reply to message #691256 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 02:15

You can't take that many penalties, you'll lose the game!

Kassian & McDavid: Hold my beer...

#PrayForKlefbom

LOL. Awesome. lmao

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691254 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kassian was the #9 worldwide trend on twitter tonight.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691259 is a reply to message #691254 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 02:14

Kassian was the #9 worldwide trend on twitter tonight.

I expected him to be good in the playoffs. I didn't know he had it in him to have a game like he had tonight.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691268 is a reply to message #691259 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Wow, Sharks fans want him suspended like Torres for the hit on Couture.

Couple things about that: 1) it wasn't blindside, Couture saw it coming 2) he didn't leave his feet before the hit, it was after contact was made as part of the follow through.

I hope we've got more fans in their barn than they do.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691255 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

First game jitters gone.

That's a team that's not going to take 'we made the playoffs!' as good enough.

Play like that the rest of the way, and we can win this whole thing.

I'm so happy right now.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691261 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Klef, please be OK.

Nuge, wow, looking like an elite shutdown C tonight. Hope that keeps happening.

Kassian, beast.

Maroon with such a weird night. Dumb penalties. Lots of wasted chances. Hope he can bring more, and in a smarter way, for the rest of the series.

Drai probably looks the most off his game of the young guys still. Still trying those hope passes, most ending up as turnovers. Needs to clean it up some more.

D were all warriors tonight. Benning is so much better than Gryba at just playing fundamental defence. I hope Gryba is done. Even call up Fayne before you put him back in if there is an injury.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691262 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Hope Klefbom's okay. He's one of my favourites.

But if he isn't, we'll figure it out. Tonight's performance was about everyone on the ice buying into the game plan and executing. Take away the penalties (except the two we scored on) and it would've been even better. Jones doesn't have an all-star night, and that game is a rout.

Keep on winning games, boys.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691264 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Good God, I love playoff Oilers playoff hockey when they're laying hurt on the other team. Dominant hockey game. 3 periods of what the Sharks gave the Oilers for 2 periods of the last game. SJ had no answer.

Zack Kassian.....I know the guy is clean & sober, but holy crap the Sharks must be suspicious. Seriously that guy brought it tonight and set the tone for this hockey game. Very deserving 1st star of the game.

What can you say about a penalty kill that scores both goals in a 2-0 game and kills everything else handily? PK came up big. Kassian & McDavid with huge goals, Nuge outstanding on the kill and his line against Pavelski. Talbot shut the door.

The fans brought it again in the building. There is no crowd like an Edmonton Oilers' playoff crowd, period.

It's coming back here again for game 5. Hope for at least a split in SJ. Thornton doesn't want to play in this, he'll end up with a universal joint for a knee. Go Oilers.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691265 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Also, Benning was a nice surprise.

Laid some good hits. Never really found himself out of position. Didn't directly lead to any goals against.

Much better than Gryba's been. I thought it'd be a wash.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691266 is a reply to message #691265 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

vsove wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 23:24

Laid some good hits. Never really found himself out of position. Didn't directly lead to any goals against.

Benning is much much better when he isn't playing small. He played big tonight and he played smart, was on the right side of play all night. Gryba will be better if he's back in at any point, he isn't as bad as he showed in game 1.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691281 is a reply to message #691266 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 23:26

Benning is much much better when he isn't playing small. He played big tonight and he played smart, was on the right side of play all night. Gryba will be better if he's back in at any point, he isn't as bad as he showed in game 1.

I try to like Gryba. He has some good games, little short bursts of looking good. But, he really is a scatter brain in his zone, and defending rushes most nights. A guy that teams figure out and start to target in a playoff series. Just don't think you can have guys that are generally poor at defending playing 15 mins a night and expect to beat really good teams in a 7 game series.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691285 is a reply to message #691281 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 00:02

I try to like Gryba. He has some good games, little short bursts of looking good. But, he really is a scatter brain in his zone, and defending rushes most nights. A guy that teams figure out and start to target in a playoff series. Just don't think you can have guys that are generally poor at defending playing 15 mins a night and expect to beat really good teams in a 7 game series.

The problem with Gryba is that he doesn't have the positional sense to compensate for his slow skating speed and turning ability. I'm fine with Benning staying in the line-up based on his play tonight.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691324 is a reply to message #691285 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 00:12

The problem with Gryba is that he doesn't have the positional sense to compensate for his slow skating speed and turning ability. I'm fine with Benning staying in the line-up based on his play tonight.

Oh no doubt Gryba is the 7th D-man, no doubt there are limits in his abilities, he was just extraordinarily bad in game 1. I don't think that would repeat itself. Benning and Gryba will still be interchanged as needed over the playoffs, Benning will get the starts until he makes a fatal error, I suspect. I hope there aren't any.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691325 is a reply to message #691324 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 15:26

Oh no doubt Gryba is the 7th D-man, no doubt there are limits in his abilities, he was just extraordinarily bad in game 1. I don't think that would repeat itself. Benning and Gryba will still be interchanged as needed over the playoffs, Benning will get the starts until he makes a fatal error, I suspect. I hope there aren't any.

We may not see Gryba even if Benning craps the bed in Game 3, since the Oil just called up Reinhart.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691327 is a reply to message #691325 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 15:28

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 15:26

We may not see Gryba even if Benning craps the bed in Game 3, since the Oil just called up Reinhart.

Well, that was going to happen anyway, with the Condors out...I'm not sure who I'd rather see in there between Reinhart and Gryba, haven't seen Reinhart play for a long time.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691329 is a reply to message #691327 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 15:31

Well, that was going to happen anyway, with the Condors out...I'm not sure who I'd rather see in there between Reinhart and Gryba, haven't seen Reinhart play for a long time.

Lack of footspeed is a knock on both of them, but Reinhart is younger and may be hungrier for his first taste of playoff hockey as an Oiler. Frankly, I don't think he could be a worse choice than Gryba should Benning or Klef need replacing (knock on wood about Klef).

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691377 is a reply to message #691329 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 14:33

Lack of footspeed is a knock on both of them, but Reinhart is younger and may be hungrier for his first taste of playoff hockey as an Oiler. Frankly, I don't think he could be a worse choice than Gryba should Benning or Klef need replacing (knock on wood about Klef).

Gryba atleast has a physical edge and more experienced. Still some hope Griffin turns out, but it's running slim.

21pts, +8, Griffin had an alright AHL season. But I'm wanting Gryba's physicality against the Sharks.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 April 2017 22:20]

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691380 is a reply to message #691377 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 22:17

Gryba atleast has a physical edge and more experienced. Still some hope Griffin turns out, but it's running slim.

21pts, +8, Griffin had an alright AHL season. But I'm wanting Gryba's physicality against the Sharks.

Yeah, but unfortunately, along with Gryba's physicality come Gryba's bad decision-making ability and Gryba's tendency to cough up pucks at inopportune moments.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691382 is a reply to message #691380 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 23:04

Yeah, but unfortunately, along with Gryba's physicality come Gryba's bad decision-making ability and Gryba's tendency to cough up pucks at inopportune moments.

I think we pretty handily beat the hell out of the Sharks last game, and they really had no response. Their toughest guy is Haley, a 5 min a night guy that Lucic destroyed in our last meeting with them before the playoffs. Most of the best Sharks players are the guys that act feisty, but are really not tough at all. Pavelski, Couture, Thornton, Hansen, Marleau, Vlasic, Braun, Dillon, Burns. Some of those guys have big bodies, some like to mix it up a bit, but none really like to get involved with drawn out physical battles where you're trading big blows.

I think we have plenty of toughness without Gryba to win the physical battle every night against the Sharks. The other part of the game we need to make sure we win too is playing smart hockey, and Gryba doesn't really help with that.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 April 2017 23:18]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691383 is a reply to message #691382 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 22:17

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 23:04

I think we pretty handily beat the hell out of the Sharks last game, and they really had no response. Their toughest guy is Haley, a 5 min a night guy that Lucic destroyed in our last meeting with them before the playoffs. Most of the best Sharks players are the guys that act feisty, but are really not tough at all. Pavelski, Couture, Thornton, Hansen, Marleau, Vlasic, Braun, Dillon, Burns. Some of those guys have big bodies, some like to mix it up a bit, but none really like to get involved with drawn out physical battles where you're trading big blows.

I think we have plenty of toughness without Gryba to win the physical battle every night against the Sharks. The other part of the game we need to make sure we win too is playing smart hockey, and Gryba doesn't really help with that.

All fair points.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691267 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Maybe Kassian really is Wolverine with those mutton chops.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691270 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

TMac: Yeah, he blocked a shot. I went to go see him and he said he's okay.

From the post game media session.

*phew*

Sorry. Should have said that was in response to "any update on Klef?"

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691271 is a reply to message #691270 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 23:42

*phew*

A good night becomes even better.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691273 is a reply to message #691270 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 23:42

*phew*

http://i.imgur.com/OfYGY.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691274 is a reply to message #691273 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

http://i66.tinypic.com/29bgg40.jpg

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691272 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Just off the presser, McClellan says Klefbom is A-OK !!!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691275 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Can we talk about our 2nd line?

No goals on the night, but they turned the Sharks' first line and Burns/Martin into non-entities. Nuge and Eberle have found their next gear.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691276 is a reply to message #691275 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 22:49

No goals on the night, but they turned the Sharks' first line and Burns/Martin into non-entities. Nuge and Eberle have found their next gear.

Nuge looking more like the Datsyuk type player he was labeled as at the draft. Playing with more confidence and speed. If he's flying around like he was hard on forecheck and in his own end, we'll be good.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691280 is a reply to message #691275 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

vsove wrote on Fri, 14 April 2017 23:49

We sure can! I think they still have another gear they can hit. Lucic needs to keep his stick under control for this to occur. But these three have really upped their play as a line of late.

Desharnais a tad better tonight. I guess? I noticed him in the third on 1 shift, when he opened the gate for McDavid to get off the ice. His gate opening number is a higher percentage than faceoffs.

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691278 is a reply to message #691229 ]
Fri, 14 April 2017 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Someone please post a large, toothless headshot of Kassian, begs to be done... :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691288 is a reply to message #691278 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

Can't.....Stop.....Smiling

Been too long. Loving this!

(Klefbom being okay adds to this. Can't lose him.)

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691290 is a reply to message #691288 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

A couple of things that stood out apart from individual performances. The Sharks started the first like they ended game 1 trying to apply pressure on us in our zone, but we were ready for it, and once they figured that wasn't going to win them this game it turned the whole game into our favour.

Secondly, a way better thought game by the players after Wednesday. I said in the game thread, they took all the excitement and energy from the fans during that first period and burned themselves out. Tonight, they thought about it, and didn't allow themselves to let the moment take over.

That's part 1 of the test completed, we move to part 2, and doing this on the road. Confident that we'll pass this test to.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #691291 is a reply to message #691290 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Three things killed us in game one:

1. Puck management - turned it over far too much
2. Shift management - shifts way too long
3. Poor discipline.

We fixed 1 & 2 tonight. Discipline continues to be an issue. Would be nice if the refs would call things both ways, but we managed to overcome and win in spite of that.

If we can maintain discipline in San Jose I could see us taking both those games.

Liked Benning and Nurse. Way less firedrills than when Gryba was out there in game one.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #3)
Next Topic:GDT: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca