Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
San Jose to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691035 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Need to photoshop some popcorn in Gryba's hand on that play.

Welp. Hopefully the team learns the game does end after the 1st period from this one.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691036 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

Ugh, Gryba again. Methinks Benning should get his first taste of playoff hockey. The Sharks just overcame the hot start by the Oil to slow the game down to a level they could win at. The Oil need to learn to keep a sustained effort going throughout the entire game in the playoffs. Caggs had a rough game, but I'm not up for taking him out of the line-up just yet, as he should be given the chance to redeem himself in Game 2.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691037 is a reply to message #691014 ]
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Boo! Showing up for 3 periods would help

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691044 is a reply to message #691037 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

halfafrog wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 22:57

Boo! Showing up for 3 periods would help

Gryba simply could not keep up with the pace tonight. Benning should be in on Friday. Letestu with an absolutely egregious give away and as a "defensive forward" can't make that play.

They can still win this series if they can figure out how to play like they did in the 1st period.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691039 is a reply to message #691014 ]
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Bench Gryba forever.

Seriously. He's terrible.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691040 is a reply to message #691039 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Rookie playoff game against veterans. Shake it off and wake up for Game 2.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691064 is a reply to message #691040 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Caggiula had a hell of a terrible game as well.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691041 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Exactly how I expected the game to go in terms of result. Started off riding the wave of enthusiasm that being back in the playoffs, then let the Sharks back into it. The one thing I'm glad about is that they didn't run Talbot out of the series. The boys now know what playoff hockey is about, we'll be back on Friday/Saturday better prepared and ready to play.

We made rookie mistakes, got called for everything, we've got to learn from that and will. As much as I got angry at some of the plays I'm sort of glad we got it out of the way in game 1. Lets move on from here.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691042 is a reply to message #691014 ]
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Ouch. Stay out of the box and the Oil win that game. Lost all momentum while on the PK, never really got much flow back into the game after the 1st. Learn the lesson, and don't repeat the same mistakes in game 2. Still lots of series left.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691047 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

First period was fantastic.

Everything else was just bad. No hustle, no energy. And dumb penalty after dumb penalty.

Definitely some bad calls by the refs (and a lot of non-calls against SJ) but we'll need to learn from this and come back hard on Friday.

I actually thought we were looking good in OT, until that dumb play.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691048 is a reply to message #691047 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

vsove wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 00:05

Everything else was just bad. No hustle, no energy. And dumb penalty after dumb penalty.

Definitely some bad calls by the refs (and a lot of non-calls against SJ) but we'll need to learn from this and come back hard on Friday.

Good analysis..though I thought San Jose was looking much better in OT.

Caught the US feed as Roenick/Anson Carter were just ripping the Oilers mistakes opposed to giving San Jose credit in the studio. They also insisted that all those games over a long season have perhaps caught up with Cam Talbot too.

Make some adjustments and rebound in Game 2.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691052 is a reply to message #691048 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 23:08

vsove wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 00:05

Good analysis..though I thought San Jose was looking much better in OT.

Caught the US feed as Roenick/Anson Carter were just ripping the Oilers mistakes opposed to giving San Jose credit in the studio. They also insisted that all those games over a long season have perhaps caught up with Cam Talbot too.

Make some adjustments and rebound in Game 2.

I don't think any of those goals were on Talbot, really.

Each one is directly attributable to a dumb play by an Oiler - Gryba/Letestu. Talbot had zero chance on the first two, with the OT goal being the only one where I can see an argument that he should've had it.

Oh well. Remember, we lost the first game in 2006 as well, 3-2 in overtime (well, 2OT).

Just take this as a learning experience and move on. Plenty of games left to play.

EDIT: And yeah, those drop passes are NOT WORKING. Stop doing them.

Hopefully they look at what went wrong and correct. We can't count on better reffing, so we'll have to play a cleaner game and work harder.

I'm just glad to be watching playoff hockey.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691051 is a reply to message #691047 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

1) refs suck
2) Gryba sucks
3) What the hell was with all those stupid drop passes?
4) A hockey game lasts more than 20 Minutes.

What a disappointing result after going up 2-0.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691053 is a reply to message #691051 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 23:10

1) refs suck
2) Gryba sucks

23 give aways.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691058 is a reply to message #691053 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 22:11

1) refs suck
2) Gryba sucks

23 give aways.

Exactly, and on top of it they were the Blind drop pass variety, just throw it back toward your corner, expecting someone is there .. Oops.. and SJ gets the cycle going again for 3 minutes. Never seen so many turnovers in our own end... well... this year anyway.

As rough as Gryba played tonight, Benning would have got crushed even worse.
Its a heavy, high energy game out there, you need fitness, size, and a man-size compete level. We started the game with it, ended running around like crazy people. All the PK's ruined the flow and the energy generated by the 1st period.

Need to re-group and Crush these A-holes.

This is where Lucic pays off.

Oh.. and someone has to start running Pavelski and Couture.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691059 is a reply to message #691058 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 23:25

g2k wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 22:11

1) refs suck
2) Gryba sucks

23 give aways.

Exactly, and on top of it they were the Blind drop pass variety, just throw it back toward your corner, expecting someone is there .. Oops.. and SJ gets the cycle going again for 3 minutes. Never seen so many turnovers in our own end... well... this year anyway.

As rough as Gryba played tonight, Benning would have got crushed even worse.
Its a heavy, high energy game out there, you need fitness, size, and a man-size compete level. We started the game with it, ended running around like crazy people. All the PK's ruined the flow and the energy generated by the 1st period.

Need to re-group and Crush these A-holes.

This is where Lucic pays off.

Oh.. and someone has to start running Pavelski and Couture.

I think those garbage plays off the boards in our zone have been happening all year. Cute little plays just inside our blue line. No idea why we can't work that out of the players heads. Sharks really figured us out as the game went on, and we just kept making those dumb lazy plays. Hope it stops ASAP, that crap isn't gonna fly playing against the same team every night. You're just gonna get burned more and more by it.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691054 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

The Sharks are a good, veteran savvy team and tonight they were the better team and deserved the W. That said, the Oilers really gave them the game. SJ were just waiting for the Oilers to make mistakes, turn pucks over and ultimately carried the play for 2 periods while the Oil chased the game. You didn't see the Sharks coughing up pucks all night like giant fur balls, nor did they force plays that weren't there. The Oilers played sloppy and impatient for the most part. They stopped hitting and skating and made it relatively easy for the Sharks to have possession most of the night. The good news is, with some adjustment, discipline and patience the Oilers can take this series. They are faster, more physical, and more skilled. They need to control the pace of the game, and take it to them. The Oilers will win this series. Book it.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691055 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Well, it is awfully fun to have playoff hockey back...even if the result wasn't the way we wanted tonight.

- Great energy from that crowd for a lot of the games, but I hate seeing it go quiet after the Sharks score. For me, one of the most thrilling things in 2006 was how loud the chants would get after the other team scored. It just made it clear, you're not taking us out of this, no matter what happened, and it always seemed like the Oilers responded to that. Maybe there was a chant there this time, but you couldn't pick it up on the TV.

- Our defensive lapses came mostly from the defensive defencemen. Russell got owned by Hertl on that second Sharks goal, and Gryba had some issues with his foot speed. I also think he took a couple dangerous pinches to make hits. It's exciting to see one of their players crushed, but it opens up big possibilities for odd-man rushes.

- Caggiula had a really tough night. Couple penalties, on for at least one goal against, and that stick breaking...ARGH.

- I blame this loss on g2k though. I've been waiting over TEN YEARS for him to reset his countdown clock avatar, and it's not sitting at 16 yet...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691066 is a reply to message #691055 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

And you know why his stick broke...

Smashing it because you're angry in the box doesn't help. I hope TMac mentioned that when he got back to the bench after his botched breakaway.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691073 is a reply to message #691066 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 22:51

Smashing it because you're angry in the box doesn't help. I hope TMac mentioned that when he got back to the bench after his botched breakaway.

Did he actually do that? If so, it makes it even worse.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691083 is a reply to message #691073 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 00:51

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 22:51

Did he actually do that? If so, it makes it even worse.

He had an intermission during that penalty, so good chance it wasn't even the same stick. I didn't see any footage of him smashing the stick. Just a really unfortunate break on a pretty tough night for Caggiula.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691085 is a reply to message #691083 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Overall, I think this is a really good learning experience for the Oilers. They had their first sniff of playoff success and their first dose of playoff hockey reality. I don't think winning game one is all that important to playoffs success (they lost game 1 three times in 2006) and expect a stronger final 40 minutes Friday. What I am worried about is McLellan. Does he come back for game 2 with a heavier line up by inserting Hendricks? Jujar Hockey™? And will TM find a solution for the Sharks heavy fore check other than Russell's patented 'off-the-glass-and-out'? Times aren't great, but they're certainly not desperate.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691056 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Hard to win a game when the refs make you play 14 minutes short handed. Refs doing SJ a solid tonight, keeping McD of fteh ice for almost a period by putting the team on the PK.

Wouldn't complain about the refs as much if it weren't for the fact they could have made at least 7 calls on infractions against McD alone tonight and, chose not to.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691062 is a reply to message #691056 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

It's kinda obvious the Oilers can't close out a lead. McLellan allways has them trying to trap it up after getting the lead. I wonder what would happen if they just kept the foot on the gas and tried to win 8-4. Probly unsustainable energy wise for 60 minutes.

To lose after that great first period is just terrible though. Like many have said kudos to the Sharks for just surviving that first period and forcing the Oilers to play the game they wanted. Yes the refs helped them, but the cutesy drop passes and turnovers at the blue lines have to stop. As well as the stick infractions. Preventable penalties killed us. They have to know the refs favour California, veteran teams. Don't "volunteer" for two minutes by making the calls ones that the refs can't and wont ignore.

Agree with Adam, in 2006 the chants got louder when the other team scored. I miss that.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691063 is a reply to message #691062 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Xombie wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 23:35

It's kinda obvious the Oilers can't close out a lead. McLellan allways has them trying to trap it up after getting the lead. I wonder what would happen if they just kept the foot on the gas and tried to win 8-4. Probly unsustainable energy wise for 60 minutes.

To lose after that great first period is just terrible though. Like many have said kudos to the Sharks for just surviving that first period and forcing the Oilers to play the game they wanted. Yes the refs helped them, but the cutesy drop passes and turnovers at the blue lines have to stop. As well as the stick infractions. Preventable penalties killed us. They have to know the refs favour California, veteran teams. Don't "volunteer" for two minutes by making the calls ones that the refs can't and wont ignore.

Agree with Adam, in 2006 the chants got louder when the other team scored. I miss that.

I wonder how the game goes if Caggiula doesn't get that penalty at the end of the first and the Sharks don't score on the ensuing power play.

We're actually a significantly better team this year about playing with a lead - I can't remember the specific numbers, but it hasn't really been a problem this season. Not sure what they were doing tonight.

They dominated the first period, aside from a tentative first five. They need to get back to that, and figure out how it got away from them.

The refs need to be more consistent, but we got outworked.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691076 is a reply to message #691056 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 22:15

Hard to win a game when the refs make you play 14 minutes short handed. Refs doing SJ a solid tonight, keeping McD of fteh ice for almost a period by putting the team on the PK.

Wouldn't complain about the refs as much if it weren't for the fact they could have made at least 7 calls on infractions against McD alone tonight and, chose not to.

This is my thoughts exactly, and it was difficult to get into the mindset that this is playoff hockey when we're in the box for quarter of the game. You gotta let a little more go when powerplays often decide games. McDavid had numerous scoring chances, and he's definitely not free wheeling to the net.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691057 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Looking back - wow, we were outshot 57-25 in that first game against Detroit.

So, that makes me feel a little better. Playoff jitters happen.

I'll be more worried if the next game turns into the 2nd and 3rd period of this game.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691060 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lots of people on twitter pointing out that McLellan basically put zero effort into matchups. SJ got the Vlasic pair out against McDavid all night long. Matching basically worked out the way you would have expected a game in SJ to.

Unfortunately, McLellan is known to be lazy about matchups. So, no sure if that will be changing.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691061 is a reply to message #691060 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 23:31

Lots of people on twitter pointing out that McLellan basically put zero effort into matchups. SJ got the Vlasic pair out against McDavid all night long. Matching basically worked out the way you would have expected a game in SJ to.

Unfortunately, McLellan is known to be lazy about matchups. So, no sure if that will be changing.

Yeah, McLellan was a pretty terrible game-time coach tonight.

It's been a problem all year.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691075 is a reply to message #691061 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

vsove wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 23:33

Yeah he's brutal. Imagine if we only had Eakins right now....🤔

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691077 is a reply to message #691075 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 01:56

Uhm, that's a little extreme, no?

They are merely touching on the line matching, which I found noticeable as well.

You can call back the hounds. It wasn't an indictment of his entire body of work.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 April 2017 06:45]

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691078 is a reply to message #691077 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Tough to win when you only get 7 shots on net the last two periods. Sure, the refs didn't help things, but if they're calling the game that way our guys gotta be smarter and not put themselves in the position where they can be penalized.

I'm expecting a much better effort next game now that those first game jitters are out of the way.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691082 is a reply to message #691077 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 06:43

Uhm, that's a little extreme, no?

They are merely touching on the line matching, which I found noticeable as well.

You can call back the hounds. It wasn't an indictment of his entire body of work.

Agreed. He's a guy who's been out-coached in the playoffs before, so it bears watching. The Oilers didn't seem to have a response last night, and I do worry that he tried to get the team protecting the lead far too early rather than just keeping the pedal down all night.

McDavid torched past Burns when he was out against him. Why not force the Sharks to live with that matchup? If nothing else, it keeps Burns from cheating up for offence.

EDIT - also, thank you for the avatar!

[Updated on: Thu, 13 April 2017 08:49]

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691084 is a reply to message #691075 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

McLellan has been a good systems coach. Outside of games, he's clearly gotten the team to a place where they're all on the same page and all buying in.

When it comes to game-time, though, he's made a lot of weird decisions regarding who to put over the boards and when. His decisions as to who to play and who to sit have been, on occasion, head scratchers, and he seems to have trouble adjusting strategy on the fly.

This is not an indictment of him as a complete coach, but it's absolutely the weakest part of his skillset. He needs to take better advantage of being the home team.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691086 is a reply to message #691084 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 09:09

McLellan has been a good systems coach. Outside of games, he's clearly gotten the team to a place where they're all on the same page and all buying in.

When it comes to game-time, though, he's made a lot of weird decisions regarding who to put over the boards and when. His decisions as to who to play and who to sit have been, on occasion, head scratchers, and he seems to have trouble adjusting strategy on the fly.

This is not an indictment of him as a complete coach, but it's absolutely the weakest part of his skillset. He needs to take better advantage of being the home team.

I do hope that we see some adjustments from McLellan, both game-to-game and in-game. If I was gameplanning against the Oilers, I'm spending a lot of time pressuring the left defenceman, because the right-side guys are all much less proficient at moving the puck. If I'm forcing Kris Russell to be the one trying to advance the puck up-ice, I know that 9 times out of 10, it's not going to be a tape-to-tape pass to a guy in motion. Puck movement isn't the best part of Larsson's game either, and Gryba...well, he's not going to get a lot of assists off the rush. Since the Oilers forwards are always pushing way forward, they need either their defencemen completing long passes, or at least putting it in to areas where it's a 50/50 puck and they can battle it back from the other side. With the weaker puck movers forced to advance it, there's a better chance of interception.

The Sharks were very high pressure last night, and it resulted in a lot of turnovers from an Oilers team that was maybe a little nervous. But that kind of pressure can open up holes, and if the Oilers can make some smart adjustments in games, they may be able to take advantage.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691087 is a reply to message #691086 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 09:19

I do hope that we see some adjustments from McLellan, both game-to-game and in-game. If I was gameplanning against the Oilers, I'm spending a lot of time pressuring the left defenceman, because the right-side guys are all much less proficient at moving the puck. If I'm forcing Kris Russell to be the one trying to advance the puck up-ice, I know that 9 times out of 10, it's not going to be a tape-to-tape pass to a guy in motion. Puck movement isn't the best part of Larsson's game either, and Gryba...well, he's not going to get a lot of assists off the rush. Since the Oilers forwards are always pushing way forward, they need either their defencemen completing long passes, or at least putting it in to areas where it's a 50/50 puck and they can battle it back from the other side. With the weaker puck movers forced to advance it, there's a better chance of interception.

The Sharks were very high pressure last night, and it resulted in a lot of turnovers from an Oilers team that was maybe a little nervous. But that kind of pressure can open up holes, and if the Oilers can make some smart adjustments in games, they may be able to take advantage.

Yep, and you could see that last night a ton. I actually don't think Russell was as bad as some people seem to - he wasn't spectacular, but he didn't seem completely out of place in the same way that Gryba did - but he had a lot of trouble helping the break out.

I'm not worried. It was a learning experience for pretty much everyone, and now they know what they need to do in order to win games. If they have another stinker on Friday, I'll start worrying, but they've had bad games multiple times this season and bounced back the next time.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691092 is a reply to message #691086 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 13 April 2017 09:19

Don't want to be too much of a downer after just 1 loss, but this is one of the biggest complaints SJ fans had of McLellan and Woodcroft. The inability to adjust during games. After years of seeing their PP that rocked all year become figured out in the playoffs, and their team in general appearing to be "figured out" by other teams as series wore on. It could all be excuses and perception of fans after losing, but I can't help but let that creep into my mind after a game like last night, especially after seeing the match up ice times.

Oh well though, gotta keep hoping for the best, because this is the group we have for this run.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 April 2017 10:42]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691065 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

We also need to do better on the PP.

First one was spectacular. The rest were, well, what I remember seeing a lot of near the end of the season.

I really wasn't expecting to win tonight. Learning experience, hopefully - now come back and crush it in Game 2. Check

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #691068 is a reply to message #691014 ]
Thu, 13 April 2017 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

I notice some posters stopped entering score predictions after the regular season.

Contest is still on folks.

Limecat Logic

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Greetings from the UK
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca