This day on March 27
None

Happy Birthday To: klima, attica, Sylvanfan, JackBauer, ckpon, Looch, ebsnugehallsy

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689040]
Mon, 20 March 2017 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   75%
Los Angeles to win:   25%
52 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2016-17 Regular Season
Thursday, November 17, 2016Edmonton 2 @ Los Angeles 4Loss
Thursday, December 29, 2016Los Angeles 1 @ Edmonton 3Win
Monday, March 20, 2017Los Angeles 0 @ Edmonton 2Win
Tuesday, March 28, 2017Los Angeles @ Edmonton
Tuesday, April 4, 2017Edmonton @ Los Angeles
Home Record: 2-0-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 2-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/2 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 1/4 Total: 5

2015-16 Regular Season
Sunday, October 25, 2015Los Angeles 3 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Saturday, November 14, 2015Edmonton 3 @ Los Angeles 4Loss
Tuesday, December 29, 2015Los Angeles 5 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Thursday, February 25, 2016Edmonton 1 @ Los Angeles 2Loss
Saturday, March 26, 2016Edmonton 4 @ Los Angeles 6Loss
Home Record: 0-2-0       Road Record: 0-3-0       Overall Record: 0-5-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/8 Total: 12
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/12 Total: 20

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689041 is a reply to message #689040 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

This will basically be a playoff game tonight. Kings are in must win mode and the Oilers can deliver a critical blow to the Kings. Since the Habs game, the Oilers have taken care of business. It needs to continue tonight.
I watched bits and pieces of the Flames - Kings game last night. The Kings roll out a Brown - Kopitar - Iginla line. Can we say SLOW. If I am McLellan, I play Mcdavid's line as much as I can against that line.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689042 is a reply to message #689040 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner is currently online mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Huge game. Win in regulation and the Oilers magic number drops to 9. Win and they once again flip with Calgary and get the #3 spot in the Pacific within striking distance of the Ducks at #2.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689043 is a reply to message #689042 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

If I am the Oilers, go after Doughty. He took a nasty, cheap elbow to the chops. Nothing dirty, just bang him hard against the boards a few times early. See if that head of his is still a little foggy.

With the next 4 games being LA, ANA, Col X2. With a good week, the Oilers could vault themselves up.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689044 is a reply to message #689043 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 08:28

If I am the Oilers, go after Doughty. He took a nasty, cheap elbow to the chops. Nothing dirty, just bang him hard against the boards a few times early. See if that head of his is still a little foggy.

With the next 4 games being LA, ANA, Col X2. With a good week, the Oilers could vault themselves up.

What a cheap piece of garbage that guy already is;

I hope he gets a few games for that one.

As far as this game goes, great chance to show a killer instinct. the Kings are down and there is now better way to show the Oilers are ready for the post season then to help put nails in coffins

[Updated on: Mon, 20 March 2017 08:50]

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689071 is a reply to message #689044 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 07:40

As far as this game goes, great chance to show a killer instinct. the Kings are down and there is now better way to show the Oilers are ready for the post season then to help put nails in coffins

He's a total POS, he even bragged about it after. Word gets a around, guys are taking notes, he's not tough enough to handle the reper-concussions, he'll be getting some karma paid back. Doughty has a good memory.
A guy like that you have to be preemptive, take runs at him all game, then take some runs at Johnny #13.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689082 is a reply to message #689071 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 12:21

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 07:40

He's a total POS, he even bragged about it after. Word gets a around, guys are taking notes, he's not tough enough to handle the reper-concussions, he'll be getting some karma paid back. Doughty has a good memory.
A guy like that you have to be preemptive, take runs at him all game, then take some runs at Johnny #13.

Couldn't stand his Dad as a player and the apple fell right by the tree. The league better be reviewing and suspending for this cheap shot

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689083 is a reply to message #689082 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Ugh...Hendricks in for Slepyshev because it's going to be a "heavy" game.

So why bring in a slower guy? Kill the Kings with speed.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689085 is a reply to message #689083 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 15:25

I read somewhere that Gryba might play too? McLellan sure does love his grinders...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689087 is a reply to message #689085 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 15:53

I read somewhere that Gryba might play too? McLellan sure does love his grinders...

Why be faster than the team you're playing when you can slow down to their level?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689089 is a reply to message #689087 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 15:56

Why be faster than the team you're playing when you can slow down to their level?

SIGH...It really makes no sense. Why would you knowingly make your team worse? Hopefully that means that McLellan plays the fourth line significantly less - if the Slepyshev minutes are filled with more McDavid and the 6s-are-Wild line, then maybe it's a good thing - but I don't trust that that's going to happen.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689090 is a reply to message #689089 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 15:59

SIGH...It really makes no sense. Why would you knowingly make your team worse? Hopefully that means that McLellan plays the fourth line significantly less - if the Slepyshev minutes are filled with more McDavid and the 6s-are-Wild line, then maybe it's a good thing - but I don't trust that that's going to happen.

Perhaps after he watched the flames skating circles around LA last night, he figured there is no way the same strategy could work against the same team 2 days in a row. We can surprise them with a grind it out game that does not at all work in LA's favour.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689091 is a reply to message #689090 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 16:04

Perhaps after he watched the flames skating circles around LA last night, he figured there is no way the same strategy could work against the same team 2 days in a row. We can surprise them with a grind it out game that does not at all work in LA's favour.

Ha! And Sharks fans said McLellan couldn't adjust his strategy.

This was all so very predictable.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689093 is a reply to message #689091 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 16:13

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 16:04

Ha! And Sharks fans said McLellan couldn't adjust his strategy.

I am starting to worry about him in the playoffs...after all, it's likely to be physical...does that mean we're intentionally going to ice inferior lineups for all post-season games so we have enough gritensity?

Maybe we should be hoping to face the Ducks, as Carlyle is the only other coach in the division who's married to stupid old-school thinking...

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689052 is a reply to message #689042 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 08:26

Huge game. Win in regulation and the Oilers magic number drops to 9. Win and they once again flip with Calgary and get the #3 spot in the Pacific within striking distance of the Ducks at #2.

Losing back-to-back games in Alberta would be a dagger blow to the heart for the Kings. Hopefully the Oilers can take care of business tonight. A win tonight almost assures us a playoff spot, and we can go about trying to lock down home ice advantage from there.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689045 is a reply to message #689040 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

LA looked like garbage last night. I'd be disappointed if we couldn't outplay them tonight. Although, after performances like that, teams usually give themselves a kick in the butt.

In any case, this should be a game that brings out a good effort form our players. A chance to almost completely put away the only threat they have to a playoff spot. Magic number goes to 9 with a win in regulation, and LA will no doubt just take care of that themselves with another 5 losses because they are terrible.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689046 is a reply to message #689045 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 08:43

LA looked like garbage last night. I'd be disappointed if we couldn't outplay them tonight. Although, after performances like that, teams usually give themselves a kick in the butt.

In any case, this should be a game that brings out a good effort form our players. A chance to almost completely put away the only threat they have to a playoff spot. Magic number goes to 9 with a win in regulation, and LA will no doubt just take care of that themselves with another 5 losses because they are terrible.

The Kings look old and slow. That Brown - Kopitar - Iginla line looks like a really, really expensive 4th line. They are big and experienced but that's it. They are beyond slow and just throw it in the corner and grind it out. The Kopitar goal was terrible defending by the Flames. The puck is in the corner, the Flames out numbered them. Kopitar was hanging around the net while I think Brown grinded in the corner. The one Flames dman standing at the side of the net watching the play just let Kopitar skate past him and stand in front of the net which is dumb. I don't know who the center was but the Flames center was just standing there at the hash marks watching it all go down and didn't even move. All he has to do is take maybe 2 strides and lift Kopitar stick and nothing happens. It was his man. There was nothing good about that goal. Just a grind it out, poorly defended goal where at least 3 Flames players were caught standing around watching the puck.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689047 is a reply to message #689040 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Would it be an understatement to say that this is a monumental game for the Oilers tonight. I want to see if the real Oilers show up tonight, with they sink or swim?

Games like this will be telling how much the team has changed since the years before.

This is their biggest must win since we started declaring games a must win.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689051 is a reply to message #689047 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The thing about the Oilers is when there is a big game, they usually rise to the occasion. They also seem to feed off of what the other team brings.

Pens game, the Pens came out flying and the Oilers responded with maybe the best game of the year and without Fleury standing on his head, they beat the Pens handily.

Habs game. The Habs play a sleepy, clamp down, rely on Price to stand on his head. The Oilers didn't generate much, Price was outstanding. Habs basically win a 2-1 game.

Dallas game. Dallas is what the Oilers were. A team loaded with some higher end offensive forwards, with squat on defense and suspect goaltending. Dallas likes to try and out score their problems. They definitely don't sit back and defend. The Oilers came out firing.

Bruins game. The Bruins came out swinging and don't sit back either. Early in that game, the Bruins were buzzing. Oilers got into the game quickly and turned it up.

Canucks play a quiet, clamp it down, don't give up much, hope their goalie plays well because they don't have much. I think the shots were like 2-1 or 2-2 almost mid way through the first. The Oilers slept.

For the Kings game. They lost last night. They are big time on the ropes. I don't think they can afford to just sit back even though they aren't built to do it go guns a blazing. They need to win in regulation to have any chance. I suspect they will come out of the gate flying which should get the Oilers into the game right away. I think this could be a game where Maroon and especially Lucic make their presence known on the boards and on the score sheet.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689057 is a reply to message #689051 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Both Nielsen and Fraser called for a Kings win. Nielsen said 3-2. A score that could I supposed happen. I see it being the other way in favor of the Oilers. Fraser goes idiot Fraser and says 8-2 Kings. I don't know who on the Kings they have capable to score 8 goals. For that to happen, Talbot either gets hurt (knock on wood) or plays the worst game as an Oiler. I fully expect the Kings to be a lot better but the Oilers are coming off a game where they weren't very good either. They are going up against a team that for years, beat the Oilers for fun, it's a playoff type game and I am sure McLellan after the Canucks game had a few choice words for the fellas about their effort. So I expect them to play a more inspired game.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689063 is a reply to message #689047 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 09:24

Would it be an understatement to say that this is a monumental game for the Oilers tonight. I want to see if the real Oilers show up tonight, with they sink or swim?

Games like this will be telling how much the team has changed since the years before.

Stink or Swim!

This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689066 is a reply to message #689047 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 09:24

It's also the biggest game in the last 10 years since we've started saying it's the biggest Oiler game of the past 10 years.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689064 is a reply to message #689040 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

It would stun me if the Oilers won tonight. Kings have their back against the wall and we've seen these Oilers not step up at crunch time for the entire last decade.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689070 is a reply to message #689064 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 11:01

It would stun me if the Oilers won tonight. Kings have their back against the wall and we've seen these Oilers not step up at crunch time for the entire last decade.

The Oilers have a new coach, new GM. They play a different style. They have swapped out or added in quite a few different players in order to change their culture and how they play. For the most part, they have avoided that super long period where they played like crap and dug themselves into a hole they couldn't get out of. From day one they have been comfortably in a playoff spot and have been in the hunt for one of the top spots in their division. As it sits today, they have a legit chance at second place and have a 10 pt cushion for playoff spot. So pretty comfortable. For the most part this entire season, they have been a good, fairly consistent team. These past few weeks, the Oilers hit a bit of a flat spot. Lost a few games in a row, lost more games than they won. Started to let things slip just a touch. But like they have done all year, instead of letting the bad momentum pick up steam and things get out of hand like past years, they pulled up their socks and stopped it by winning 3 games in a row. That's still not enough that this team is still painted with the same brush as previous teams. They have shown none of what the past teams did the entire year yet you are still expecting them at game 72 to go off the cliff?

It amazes me how there are still fans who cling on to the negative and just expect something bad to happen. Maybe it's because it's all they know? I am not trying to pick a fight but I find it just baffling how some fans and even bloggers seem to hold on to anything negative they can or dig and dig to find something negative to focus on.

I listened to Lowetide like 30 mins ago talk to Oilers blogger and advanced stats guy Sanhil Agnihotra gut Russell again for the 100th time. I don't mind Russell. I don't for a second think he's the answer to the Oilers defense long term. Ideally, they go out and get a right shot to take his place. If the Oilers did sign him, I don't think they should offer him a very long contract or for anymore than what he's making. But he is an NHL dman. For the most part he's done a decent job for the Oilers and has been a guy that helped their defense. Overall, he was a good signing. But I listened to Sanhil go on and on about how bad Russell is. Is he the Oilers best dman? Nope but has he helped stabilize their defense and allowed them to ice a top 4 that doesn't get their heads kicked in every night, yes he has. He went on and on about how he drags Sekera down. Sekera has been really good for the majority of the year. Better than last year. He's been on of the Oilers best dmen playing primarily with Russell. On most teams, Sekera is a really good second paring guy. On the Oilers, Sekera has been a really good second pairing at times first pairing dman all year. So how much of a drag has Russell really been on Sekera? I just don't see Sekera being a whole lot better than he has. Then Sanhil goes on and on about how Russell drags down the top line for scoring. McDavid is tied with the league lead in scoring and probably wins the scoring title. He's been that all year. Maroon has 24 goals and could easily flirt with 30. Draisaitl has 24 goals and 63 pts. So he will also flirt with 30 goals and will score than 70 pts. So the Oilers could have a top line that has a guy scoring over 90 pts and win the scoring title. On the left side will have a guy close to 30 goals and around 45 pts. On the right side have a guy with close to 30 goals and over 70 pts. So exactly how much more offense does this Sunhil guy think the top like should have?

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689072 is a reply to message #689070 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 12:08

The Oilers have a new coach, new GM. They play a different style. They have swapped out or added in quite a few different players in order to change their culture and how they play. For the most part, they have avoided that super long period where they played like crap and dug themselves into a hole they couldn't get out of. From day one they have been comfortably in a playoff spot and have been in the hunt for one of the top spots in their division. As it sits today, they have a legit chance at second place and have a 10 pt cushion for playoff spot. So pretty comfortable. For the most part this entire season, they have been a good, fairly consistent team. These past few weeks, the Oilers hit a bit of a flat spot. Lost a few games in a row, lost more games than they won. Started to let things slip just a touch. But like they have done all year, instead of letting the bad momentum pick up steam and things get out of hand like past years, they pulled up their socks and stopped it by winning 3 games in a row. That's still not enough that this team is still painted with the same brush as previous teams. They have shown none of what the past teams did the entire year yet you are still expecting them at game 72 to go off the cliff?

It amazes me how there are still fans who cling on to the negative and just expect something bad to happen. Maybe it's because it's all they know? I am not trying to pick a fight but I find it just baffling how some fans and even bloggers seem to hold on to anything negative they can or dig and dig to find something negative to focus on.

I listened to Lowetide like 30 mins ago talk to Oilers blogger and advanced stats guy Sanhil Agnihotra gut Russell again for the 100th time. I don't mind Russell. I don't for a second think he's the answer to the Oilers defense long term. Ideally, they go out and get a right shot to take his place. If the Oilers did sign him, I don't think they should offer him a very long contract or for anymore than what he's making. But he is an NHL dman. For the most part he's done a decent job for the Oilers and has been a guy that helped their defense. Overall, he was a good signing. But I listened to Sanhil go on and on about how bad Russell is. Is he the Oilers best dman? Nope but has he helped stabilize their defense and allowed them to ice a top 4 that doesn't get their heads kicked in every night, yes he has. He went on and on about how he drags Sekera down. Sekera has been really good for the majority of the year. Better than last year. He's been on of the Oilers best dmen playing primarily with Russell. On most teams, Sekera is a really good second paring guy. On the Oilers, Sekera has been a really good second pairing at times first pairing dman all year. So how much of a drag has Russell really been on Sekera? I just don't see Sekera being a whole lot better than he has. Then Sanhil goes on and on about how Russell drags down the top line for scoring. McDavid is tied with the league lead in scoring and probably wins the scoring title. He's been that all year. Maroon has 24 goals and could easily flirt with 30. Draisaitl has 24 goals and 63 pts. So he will also flirt with 30 goals and will score than 70 pts. So the Oilers could have a top line that has a guy scoring over 90 pts and win the scoring title. On the left side will have a guy close to 30 goals and around 45 pts. On the right side have a guy with close to 30 goals and over 70 pts. So exactly how much more offense does this Sunhil guy think the top like should have?

Sunil's analysis is stats-based. It's not him deciding that the top line should be better...it's the numbers showing specifically that they do worse when they're on the ice with Russell. That's not surprising - he sucks at passing and can't move the puck up ice with control. If you can hit McDavid with a pass at speed, then the other team is in trouble...if you simply surrender control in the neutral zone, as Russell tends to do, then you're creating a requirement for the team to regain possession.

It's pretty simple math. Russell doesn't drive possession, he gives it away. If you can't advance up-ice, then you're going to spend more time in your own zone, which is going to negatively impact your numbers over time.

Same thing with Sekera. The only safe play that Russell seems capable of doing with the puck is a D-to-D pass. If Sekera is playing with another defender who can also move the puck up-ice, then he's likely going to look better. I would guess that Sekera makes Russell's numbers better - that Russell/Larsson pairing that was briefly together was a disaster - but that Russell is a drag on Sekera.

As for negativity, can you really expect people are going to forget 10 years of bad results immediately? At this stage, the team needs to prove it again and again and again to make people believers. If you have blind faith, then that's good for you, but you can't blame people for doubting when this team has shown so many ways to fail - and under so many different coaches and with the same clowns at the top of the organizational chart...

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689077 is a reply to message #689072 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 12:38

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 12:08

Sunil's analysis is stats-based. It's not him deciding that the top line should be better...it's the numbers showing specifically that they do worse when they're on the ice with Russell. That's not surprising - he sucks at passing and can't move the puck up ice with control. If you can hit McDavid with a pass at speed, then the other team is in trouble...if you simply surrender control in the neutral zone, as Russell tends to do, then you're creating a requirement for the team to regain possession.

It's pretty simple math. Russell doesn't drive possession, he gives it away. If you can't advance up-ice, then you're going to spend more time in your own zone, which is going to negatively impact your numbers over time.

Same thing with Sekera. The only safe play that Russell seems capable of doing with the puck is a D-to-D pass. If Sekera is playing with another defender who can also move the puck up-ice, then he's likely going to look better. I would guess that Sekera makes Russell's numbers better - that Russell/Larsson pairing that was briefly together was a disaster - but that Russell is a drag on Sekera.

As for negativity, can you really expect people are going to forget 10 years of bad results immediately? At this stage, the team needs to prove it again and again and again to make people believers. If you have blind faith, then that's good for you, but you can't blame people for doubting when this team has shown so many ways to fail - and under so many different coaches and with the same clowns at the top of the organizational chart...

The Oilers are going into game 72. When have the Oilers this season shown ever they are failing off a cliff and going back into the way they were? They have been good pretty much the entire season. So why would they all of a sudden blow up and piss it all away. IS there a chance, sure, there is no such thing as a guarantee other than death and taxes. But based on the body of their work for this season, the chances of them imploding are very remote. The Wild have hit the skids lately after dominating all year. Does that mean they were crap or are they just going through a rough patch. For the Oilers. If it was the exact same line up as last year, then sure I can see it I guess but it's not the same team, not even close. I just question what value fans get out of dwelling on the past negative. I am guessing for some, they get off on it. Some people thrive on being negative, being the "i told you so guy". I just don't get why someone would want to always be looking over their shoulder expecting the worse. We fans have been dying for the Oilers to be back in the playoffs for 10 yrs, they have been a laughing stock for 6 years. Now that the Oilers are here and about to make the playoffs, some find it important to pick them apart.

For Russell. Everyone knows he's not a corsi favorite. It's been talked about since he was signed. Bloggers have wrote about it over and over again. It's been talked about on TV, articles written about it, talked about on radio. Guys like Sunhil talk about it constantly. Matt Henderson writes articles and during every Oilers game tweets about how crappy Russell is non stop. I just don't see the value in continuously doing it.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689079 is a reply to message #689077 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 13:21

The Oilers are going into game 72. When have the Oilers this season shown ever they are failing off a cliff and going back into the way they were? They have been good pretty much the entire season. So why would they all of a sudden blow up and piss it all away. IS there a chance, sure, there is no such thing as a guarantee other than death and taxes. But based on the body of their work for this season, the chances of them imploding are very remote. The Wild have hit the skids lately after dominating all year. Does that mean they were crap or are they just going through a rough patch. For the Oilers. If it was the exact same line up as last year, then sure I can see it I guess but it's not the same team, not even close. I just question what value fans get out of dwelling on the past negative. I am guessing for some, they get off on it. Some people thrive on being negative, being the "i told you so guy". I just don't get why someone would want to always be looking over their shoulder expecting the worse. We fans have been dying for the Oilers to be back in the playoffs for 10 yrs, they have been a laughing stock for 6 years. Now that the Oilers are here and about to make the playoffs, some find it important to pick them apart.

For Russell. Everyone knows he's not a corsi favorite. It's been talked about since he was signed. Bloggers have wrote about it over and over again. It's been talked about on TV, articles written about it, talked about on radio. Guys like Sunhil talk about it constantly. Matt Henderson writes articles and during every Oilers game tweets about how crappy Russell is non stop. I just don't see the value in continuously doing it.

Well, in the lockout shortened season, with this many games left, the Oilers sat in a playoff spot...and then had a lengthy losing streak and missed. Other than 2007 where the Oilers tanked, most of the other MacTavish years had them look close to the playoffs, only to falter and fail. If you went back far enough, you'd remember that in the late Ranford/early CuJo era, the Oilers flubbed two or three times coming down the home stretch when their goalie got hurt and guys like Joaquin Gage and Freddie Brathwaite proved they weren't NHL calibre.

There's a massive amount of failure here in Edmonton, with some of the same guys having their hands on the steering wheel. It's pretty easy to see why people would be nervous still.

I get that you'd like to see non-stop positivity, but I think you should probably stop listening to radio and visiting discussion boards if that's the case. There's always going to be something to critique, and there's always going to be doubt - and that's okay too.

Honestly, the last thing the Oilers management needs is to think that the fans are happy and satisfied...

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689084 is a reply to message #689079 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 13:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 13:21

Well, in the lockout shortened season, with this many games left, the Oilers sat in a playoff spot...and then had a lengthy losing streak and missed. Other than 2007 where the Oilers tanked, most of the other MacTavish years had them look close to the playoffs, only to falter and fail. If you went back far enough, you'd remember that in the late Ranford/early CuJo era, the Oilers flubbed two or three times coming down the home stretch when their goalie got hurt and guys like Joaquin Gage and Freddie Brathwaite proved they weren't NHL calibre.

There's a massive amount of failure here in Edmonton, with some of the same guys having their hands on the steering wheel. It's pretty easy to see why people would be nervous still.

I get that you'd like to see non-stop positivity, but I think you should probably stop listening to radio and visiting discussion boards if that's the case. There's always going to be something to critique, and there's always going to be doubt - and that's okay too.

Honestly, the last thing the Oilers management needs is to think that the fans are happy and satisfied...

I don't expect everything to be all sunshine and rainbows with the Oilers but after 10 yrs with no playoffs and 6 yrs of being a laughing stock, I'm enjoying every minute of this season. It's been a very long time coming. There is enough negativity and bad things happening in the world, I chose not to dwell on the negative with my sports team. They aren't perfect nor do I expect them to be perfect. It's just nice to wear my Oilers t-shirt and show off the logo with a little pride rather than zipping my coat up extra high so no one can see what I am wearing just to avoid the lame jokes and comments. But if you want to live a life where you always are looking over your shoulder expecting the worse go ahead. It's a free country. Do what you want.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689086 is a reply to message #689084 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quick disagreement, but it has been 10 years out of the playoffs and 17 years as an embarrassment.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689088 is a reply to message #689086 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 15:56

Quick disagreement, but it has been 10 years out of the playoffs and 17 years as an embarrassment.

What date did they hire Lowe as GM?

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689078 is a reply to message #689040 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The next game is a big game. This game? Well, the Oilers are simply a better team than this year's Kings. They're done. The Oilers should go into this game, get their two points, and get out. Beating Anaheim sets them up to host a playoffs series. This game and the other 7 remaining against non-playoff teams are just opportunities to pick up points.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689080 is a reply to message #689040 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

Must win?

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689081 is a reply to message #689080 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 13:58

Must win?

Absolutely. 195%

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #689094 is a reply to message #689080 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 18:45 Go to previous message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 13:58

Must win?

13/10 on the must win. They're big games, Brent.

Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72)
Next Topic:Oilers' Advanced Stats
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca