This day on October 18
Acquired: Randy Gregg (1982)

Happy Birthday To: chimera28_istheman, ct_cruiser, DAVEBF100, bcon, KT84, Chrome, HockeyFan4Life, sparky99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689012]
Sat, 18 March 2017 22:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vancouver to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689016 is a reply to message #689012 ]
Sat, 18 March 2017 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Friggin clown refs. How is that not a goal for Drai on the EN. Clearly the guys furthest up the ice and taken down from behind. McDavid robbed of widening his points lead to 2.

In any case. Garbage game for 90% of it tonight, but still won, thanks to Talbot.

Better have more than that in them for the next game.

And yay, 14 games over .500 for the first time this season! And possibly the first time in a few decades.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689020 is a reply to message #689016 ]
Sat, 18 March 2017 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 18 March 2017 22:38

Friggin clown refs. How is that not a goal for Drai on the EN. Clearly the guys furthest up the ice and taken down from behind. McDavid robbed of widening his points lead to 2.

In any case. Garbage game for 90% of it tonight, but still won, thanks to Talbot.

And yay, 14 games over .500 for the first time this season! And possibly the first time in a few decades.

Best line was Nuge/Ebs/Lucic for much of the night, but would like to see a little more killer instinct from #93. He had great chances to shoot where he passed off a little too often for my liking.

I think it has to be a penalty shot call before a goal gets awarded with an empty net. I don't think that would have been called a penalty shot if a goalie had been in goal, so I can't complain about that. I think if they did give a goal, it's unassisted anyhow, since it's presumed to be a penalty shot on an empty net. Draisaitl should have shot much earlier anyhow. I don't know why he tried to walk that one in.

Great game for Talbot (and his goalposts). Not a banner game for the Oilers, but they get the two points.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689021 is a reply to message #689020 ]
Sun, 19 March 2017 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 18 March 2017 23:55

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 18 March 2017 22:38

Best line was Nuge/Ebs/Lucic for much of the night, but would like to see a little more killer instinct from #93. He had great chances to shoot where he passed off a little too often for my liking.

I think it has to be a penalty shot call before a goal gets awarded with an empty net. I don't think that would have been called a penalty shot if a goalie had been in goal, so I can't complain about that. I think if they did give a goal, it's unassisted anyhow, since it's presumed to be a penalty shot on an empty net. Draisaitl should have shot much earlier anyhow. I don't know why he tried to walk that one in.

Great game for Talbot (and his goalposts). Not a banner game for the Oilers, but they get the two points.

I've seen guys get the goal called on plays closer than that. Drai was definitely the guy furthest up the ice when he got tripped, and the trip was clearly made from behind. And they just call it like the player scored, so assists are awarded. Quick search and I found one Cullen was awarded for the pens similar to the trip on Drai and coincidentally, crosby got a 2nd assist on it, lame.

Here it is. 5th goal by Pens:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/det-vs-pit/2016/12/03/2016020 365#game=2016020365,game_state=final

And the rule on the infraction:

25.1 Awarded Goal – A goal will be awarded to the attacking team when the opposing team has taken their goalkeeper off the ice and an attacking player has possession and control of the puck in the neutral or attacking zone, without a defending player between himself and the opposing goal, and he is prevented from scoring as a result of an infraction committed by the defending team.

57.4 Awarded Goal – If, when the opposing goalkeeper has been removed from the ice, a player in control of the puck (or who could have obtained possession and control of the puck) in the neutral or attacking zone is tripped or otherwise fouled with no opposition between him and the opposing goal, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, the Referee shall immediately stop play and award a goal to the attacking team.

I don't see anyone between Drai and the net when he's taken down from behind. He has a very easy chance to shoot the puck in with zero obstacles if he's not tripped. Maybe the player in the middle has a shot to get to him if Drai decides to hold the puck too long, but he's definitely not stopping a shot if Drai takes one if he managed to dodge that trip.

All that said, we should probably be a bit happy. Because Drai is within 2 points of his Schedule B bonus (top 10 forward in points). That EN goal would have made him within 1. And that bonus being hit is a definite cap penalty next year.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 March 2017 10:00]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689017 is a reply to message #689012 ]
Sat, 18 March 2017 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Last 3 games I've got the opposition score right in the prediction game.... God only knows how or why I predicted the shut out tonight.

The sooner we secure the play off spot, the better this team will play. The monkey of not reaching the post season for so long is playing on this club/team. Get it secured and this team will relax and play as they can and did earlier in the season.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689022 is a reply to message #689012 ]
Sun, 19 March 2017 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Had some friends in from Lethbridge, both Oiler fans, decided to watch the game at the Black Frog, place was rockin', like a little piece of E-town, great result, although game made me nervous until #55, The Bonnyville Ovechkin, slammed it home on the PP.

Quite enjoyed the BlackFrog Experience, I work downtown so when the games aren't on Sportsnet here I think I'll just walk down and catch the game after work. I think I'll definitely head down to a few during the playoffs.

I highly recommend the Schnitzel, awesome!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689028 is a reply to message #689022 ]
Sun, 19 March 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Ugly but got the W. Safe to say now that the next 2 games (vs LA and @ Anaheim) are the most important of the season. Maybe the boys were looking forward to these games a little too much. And I may be in the minority here, but can we wear our regular blue sweaters from now on? The orange third have run their course for me and I hope our next third jersey is a copper and blue one.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689030 is a reply to message #689028 ]
Sun, 19 March 2017 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Sorry to say for you that the blue jerseys are being killed next season and orange will be the home jerseys.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/01/09/edmonton-oilers-switc hing-to-orange-only-at-home-in-2017-18/

I still love the orange.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689033 is a reply to message #689030 ]
Sun, 19 March 2017 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 19 March 2017 08:56

Sorry to say for you that the blue jerseys are being killed next season and orange will be the home jerseys.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/01/09/edmonton-oilers-switc hing-to-orange-only-at-home-in-2017-18/

I still love the orange.

You're killing me Smytty!!!! icon_lol But I'll learn to live with it I guess, as long as this team wins, they could be wearing there in Oiler colours for all I care....

https://edanafashion.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/hockey-3.jpg

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689031 is a reply to message #689012 ]
Sun, 19 March 2017 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Thanks Talbot ! The oilers looked like the keystone cops but managed the much needed 2 points. Goaltending is so critical!

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689034 is a reply to message #689012 ]
Sun, 19 March 2017 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Well, I'm happy for the 2 points and the Shutout is an added bonus but the Oilers were not the better team last night imo. The Canucks don't run our show like they have for the last 15 years but man it would be nice to beat the snot out of them in convincing fashion at some point. Oilers were sloppy, and the Canucks were playing like a team with nothing to worry about. Oilers need to learn to stomp on the bottom feeders, especially at this time in the season.

LA will be hungry, Oilers will need to be way better if they want to win.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71) [message #689049 is a reply to message #689034 ]
Mon, 20 March 2017 09:38 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

That game screamed trap game. You destroy the Stars 7-1. You beat up on the Bruins, a very good team in an emotional game 7-4. Everyone is probably feeling like offensively they can do no wrong. The Canucks play a sleepy, don't do much, clamp down, little emotion style. The Oilers are the better team and it's not close and they played down to them.

I was at the game, the Canucks were the better team in that they didn't allow the Oilers much room. The Oilers were physical but the huge majority of them were quiet all night. Bachman to his credit made a couple of really good saves. Talbot was excellent all night. Got lucky on a few posts. The previous 2 games, the Oilers scored way more than needed. Against Boston, a game in which I don't think Talbot was as his sharpest, the Oilers gave him more than enough support. Against the Canucks, Talbot returned the favor.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #72)
Next Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #71)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca