This day on December 17
None

Happy Birthday To: pupper, amandeepman88, killerabbie, nev'z87, Oilerifik, idekoning

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688537]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Montreal to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688542 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Too many players on this team are still BS.

Ebs and Pouliot piss me off so much... Pouliot is just straight up garbage, Ebs just doesn't give a damn at all.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 March 2017 19:35]

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688545 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove is currently online vsove

1 Cup

Oilers really want sole possession of the playoff futility record.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688549 is a reply to message #688545 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Same old Oilers. Chia still has a lot of work to do.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688552 is a reply to message #688549 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

This is a Captain calls a players only meeting type performance.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688546 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Yep I'm getting legit worried about playoffs now

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688553 is a reply to message #688546 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

JPro wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 22:37

Yeah - starting to smell like the lockout shortened season where we imploded with 10 games to go. If the Kings win tomorrow we will only be 5 points up on a playoff spot with still 14 games to go.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688559 is a reply to message #688553 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 19:40

Yeah - starting to smell like the lockout shortened season where we imploded with 10 games to go. If the Kings win tomorrow we will only be 5 points up on a playoff spot with still 14 games to go.

Where are the excuses this year? In 12/13 Nuge was playing with 1 arm and got extra crippled when Sedin jumped on his back. Schultz was burned out and all he cared about was the last points for his Schedule B bonus so he stopped playing D. Our C's were all injured except Gagner and Smithson. Hemsky playing with a fractured foot. The lineup was trash anyways and had no business even being close to a playoff spot.

This time around, pretty healthy lineup. Just a total lack of killer instinct for 3 weeks now outside of that Pens game 2 days ago.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688560 is a reply to message #688559 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 20:27

Mike wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 19:40

Where are the excuses this year? In 12/13 Nuge was playing with 1 arm and got extra crippled when Sedin jumped on his back. Schultz was burned out and all he cared about was the last points for his Schedule B bonus so he stopped playing D. Our C's were all injured. The lineup was trash anyways.

This time around, pretty healthy lineup. Just a total lack of killer instinct for 3 weeks now outside of that Pens game 2 days ago.

At this point (and honestly, it's how I felt after the Islanders game) I'd be willing to bet money that the Oilers miss the playoffs.

Prior to the All Star break, they were consistent. Not spectacular, but consistent.

They're consistent again, but in the wrong ways. Show up for 1 out of 3 games. Throw in a half-hearted effort on the other 2.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688561 is a reply to message #688560 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

vsove wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 23:29

I'd be willing to bet money that the Oilers miss the playoffs.

Serious question - is there anywhere I could make that bet, and what would the odds/payouts be right now. Would be happy to throw down $100 and not collect.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688563 is a reply to message #688561 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 20:42

vsove wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 23:29

I'd be willing to bet money that the Oilers miss the playoffs.

Serious question - is there anywhere I could make that bet, and what would the odds/payouts be right now. Would be happy to throw down $100 and not collect.

Not sure. I'm looking into it.

Figure that, either way, I get something out of it. Either playoff hockey, or a payout on 100$.

The thing is, they're never getting absolutely smoked, but that's almost the worst part. They can keep making the excuse 'we just need to get back in there!' At least a blowout requires some serious rethinking, but losing close games on flukey goals means they can keep saying that it's just bad bounces.

They're not showing up for a full 60 minutes. That's the problem. Either fix that, or watch your season disappear in front of you.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688548 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

The Flames beat them 5-0? Let's lose to them! Yay!!! Bag skate them all to death, TMac.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688580 is a reply to message #688548 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 19:37

The Flames beat them 5-0? Let's lose to them! Yay!!! Bag skate them all to death, TMac.

The Habs don't score a ton. They play a defensive style that relies on Price to keep them in it and then they hope to get 2 goals. The Habs last night got Price to keep them in it and at times stand on his head. The got a grind it out goal for the first goal then a fluke second goal. That was a 2-1 game. Most of those guys can hit top corners from center ice so I don't put much stock in getting a couple of empty netters.

In Calgary, they were without Radulov, one of their main offensive guns and Price was sick and didn't play. No disrespect to Montoya who's a decent NHL back up, the step down from Montoya to Price is maybe the biggest in the league. It's massive. Price was all world last night. Sub out Price for Montoya, the Oilers win 4-1. The point blank stop on Maroon, most goalies don't make that stop plus he made several fantastic glove stops. As Debrusk put it, Price put on a clinic.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688550 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

We need more articles from Edmonton media about how Playoffs are guaranteed with 25 games to go.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688555 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Tonight, the Edmonton Oilers twitter account blocked me for:

@EdmontonOilers @IPakarinen @Drat_29 @Klefbom93 might try showing up this period.

@EdmontonOilers good work, Oilers. Way to step it up when it matters.

@EdmontonOilers yeah, that's definitely chemistry we should have preserved. Unbelievable.

I'm very glad their social media person has such a thin skin.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688556 is a reply to message #688555 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 20:10

@EdmontonOilers @IPakarinen @Drat_29 @Klefbom93 might try showing up this period.

@EdmontonOilers yeah, that's definitely chemistry we should have preserved. Unbelievable.

They've always been like this. You should see how sterilized their official website was over the past few seasons.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688557 is a reply to message #688556 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 20:19

vsove wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 20:10

They've always been like this. You should see how sterilized their official website was over the past few seasons.

My wife actually went to high school with their social media guy.

I told her to let him know, if their paths ever cross, that I'm very disappointed.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688558 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThatDaveCh  is currently offline ThatDaveCh

No Cups

We are 7-9-1 since the All Star break, with only 3 of those wins against teams in playoff position.

Teams have figured out the McDavid-Drai-Maroon line, and this was to be expected at this point in the season and continuing into the playoffs. We have no reliable secondary scoring, and this is gravely troubling. The team needs to crash the net and score within that 10 feet range if we're going to find success.

A positive note is that 41/61 faceoffs tonight, which is a massive improvement.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688564 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Woodguy‏ @Woodguy55
Imagine conning a city into builiding you a $600MM WORLD CLASS hockey rink
The ice is complete #$#$
And your people respond with *shrug*

Had to edit the shrug emoji to *shrug* for it to post, but whatever. Feeling ripped off right now.

Our garbage ice is turning out home game into slush battles. It's getting ridiculous.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 March 2017 20:50]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688565 is a reply to message #688564 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

And of course San Jose and Anaheim are leading their respective games. As bad as we've played the last couple of weeks, the OOT has been even worse. Let's hope Kings-Blues tomorrow night is at least not a 3 point affair.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688566 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Shut down McDavid and what's left? Not much apparently, although I really liked Kassian and Larson in that game, they were working and being effective. Montreal owned the puck after the blown 4 minute power play and you could feel it coming. Turn over after turnover trying to sit on a one goal lead. Draisaitle was awful, Klefbom not much better. The only urgency I saw was from the Habs. Oilers decision making with the puck ( when they could get some control of it ) was terrible, too slow to react a lot of the time. Talbot ( and Larson) kept it respectable, Price made a few good saves but didn't have to work too hard. Too many passengers yet again! Out skated and out played in every area. Deserved what they got although that second goal was sh.. house lucky! Maclellan actually tried to paint a prettier picture afterwards but I didn't see it that way.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 March 2017 21:24]

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688567 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Well, hard to feel good about this game in any way. They deserved to lose, but it looked for a while like they were going to steal a game they didn't deserve to win. Not the case. Could have been back into third tonight, instead they're in a wildcard, and potentially two points away from third and three points away from second by tomorrow evening.

Garbage game and garbage effort. I will say though that I love it when the Habs are in town... brings out the best in Oilers fans and creates a great atmosphere.

A few thoughts on that game (and perhaps a different perspective):

- Radulov and Price were out against Calgary with the flu (which others on the team were also fighting). Both are big pieces and both were back against the Oilers.

- The last two games the Oilers dropped were to a division leader and a team one point out of a division lead in the East; Pittsburgh and Montreal are no joke. The loss to the Islanders actually hurts me more than Montreal or Pittsburgh.

- Effing Capitals. Do us a favour a play like you are actually Stanley Cup contenders.

- We knew the month of March was going to be critical. You could not have asked for a better schedule. Unfortunately, the Oilers are not good on home ice, and haven't seemed to find a way to remedy that. We've got a critical game against Anaheim, two critical games against LA... and then a bunch of games against lottery teams (Avs (2), Stars, Canucks). It's time to turn the tide and build some momentum.

- Don't know why the Oilers insist on dressing Gryba in place of Benning. That's not icing your best lineup.

- Why was I so adamant that the Oilers should try and get another winger? I think we're seeing why. There's no one to play with McDavid right now. Draisaitl is exhausted, Eberle can't find his game, Kassian is a fourth liner, and Pakarinen is a borderline fourth liner. Caggiula isn't an answer; Puljujarvi might be, but that's quite a gamble. Unfortunately the scenario I was concerned about it playing out as I feared it would.

- As mentioned, Draisaitl looks EXHAUSTED. Concerning. I had heard a few people mention it, but what shocked me was how in his overtime shift against Pittsburgh, he was standing still, hunched over, stick on his knees - all while the Penguins buzzed around the Oilers end. Tonight there were times when he didn't look like he'd be able to get from one end of the ice to the other. It sucks because they need his offense, but they actually need to reduce his ice time as well, give him some recovery time. It's not a great situation.

- I never expected the Oilers to make the playoffs. But they've proved me wrong this entire year and made a believer out of me. I still think they will make the playoffs, and I'm not ready to hit the panic button just yet... let's see what they do against the Stars, Bruins, Canucks, Kings, and Ducks. I'm happy to be in the thick of a playoff race this year; if you'd have presented this current situation to me back in October I would have jumped at it.

As a fan, it's okay for me to say all this... HOWEVER... when you are an assistant captain of an NHL team, it's pretty concerning to hear a statement like this:

Quote:

“At the start of the year if you asked us if we’d be in this spot… I’d take it after five years not even being close." - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

It echoes Chiarelli's comments around the trade deadline too. Trickle down leadership, and it looks like the attitude the team is carrying around right now. That's not okay. As a professional, being where you are in the standings, you have to EXPECT playoffs.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 March 2017 00:08]

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688568 is a reply to message #688567 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 22:21

Well, hard to feel good about this game in any way. They deserved to lose, but it looked for a while like they were going to steal a game they didn't deserve to win. Not the case. Could have been back into third tonight, instead they're in a wildcard, and potentially two points away from second and three points away from second by tomorrow evening.

Garbage game and garbage effort. I will say though that I love it when the Habs are in town... brings out the best in Oilers fans and creates a great atmosphere.

A few thoughts on that game (and perhaps a different perspective):

- Radulov and Price were out against Calgary with the flu (which others on the team were also fighting). Both are big pieces and both were back against the Oilers.

- The last two games the Oilers dropped were to a division leader and a team one point out of a division lead in the East; Pittsburgh and Montreal are no joke. The loss to the Islanders actually hurts me more than Montreal or Pittsburgh.

- Effing Capitals. Do us a favour a play like you are actually Stanley Cup contenders.

- We knew the month of March was going to be critical. You could not have asked for a better schedule. Unfortunately, the Oilers are not good on home ice, and haven't seemed to find a way to remedy that. We've got a critical game against Anaheim, two critical games against LA... and then a bunch of games against lottery teams (Avs (2), Stars, Canucks). It's time to turn the tide and build some momentum.

- Don't know why the Oilers insist on dressing Gryba in place of Benning. That's not icing your best lineup.

- Why was I so adamant that the Oilers should try and get another winger? I think we're seeing why. There's no one to play with McDavid right now. Draisaitl is exhausted, Eberle can't find his game, Kassian is a fourth liner, and Pakarinen is a borderline fourth liner. Caggiula isn't an answer; Puljujarvi might be, but that's quite a gamble. Unfortunately the scenario I was concerned about it playing out as I feared it would.

- As mentioned, Draisaitl looks EXHAUSTED. Concerning. I had heard a few people mention it, but what shocked me was how in his overtime shift against Pittsburgh, he was standing still, hunched over, stick on his knees - all while the Penguins buzzed around the Oilers end. Tonight there were times when he didn't look like he'd be able to get from one end of the ice to the other. It sucks because they need his offense, but they actually need to reduce his ice time as well, give him some recovery time. It's not a great situation.

- I never expected the Oilers to make the playoffs. But they've proved me wrong this entire year and made a believer out of me. I still think they will make the playoffs, and I'm not ready to hit the panic button just yet... let's see what they do against the Stars, Bruins, Canucks, Kings, and Ducks. I'm happy to be in the thick of a playoff race this year; if you'd have presented this current situation to me back in October I would have jumped at it.

As a fan, it's okay for me to say all this... HOWEVER... when you are an assistant captain of an NHL team, it's pretty concerning to hear a statement like this:

Quote:

“At the start of the year if you asked us if we’d be in this spot… I’d take it after five years not even being close." - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

It echoes Chiarelli's comments around the trade deadline too. Trickle down leadership, and it looks like the attitude the team is carrying around right now. That's not okay. As a professional, being where you are in the standings, you have to EXPECT playoffs.

Agree 100% with the Benning thing. I seriously question what is going on in McLellan's head when he takes Benning out for Gryba for no reason. Especially against a team like Montreal. Can't even argue he's there to try to match physical play.

And Drai does look like he's running on fumes. He needs a break. 15 min games for a few nights. Maybe a "change up" or whatever Trevor Linden calls them.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688569 is a reply to message #688567 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

...can't blame Draisaitl for being worn out...he's been playing since August when he was helping Germany qualify for the Olympics, then the World Cup of Hockey, and he's been putting in some serious ice time through the season for the Oilers....same as last year....too many games for the kid...he could use a break, but there isn't going to be one...

...not that it makes much difference, but the Oilers seem to be doing a bit better on face offs...

...will be good to get back to playing WC teams...the Oilers don't do so well against the East,especially the top ones....

....Claude Julien will do well with what he has to work with in Montreal...

.....Talbot seems to be still doing well, but I'm sensing he's a little burnt out....sure wish he could get a few breaks like Price does....

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688572 is a reply to message #688567 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 12 March 2017 22:21

Quote:

Yep. When leadership's message to the fans is that we're just happy to be here, can they expect something different from the team? After all, Chiarelli specifically said that the team isn't ready to challenge and that he'd be satisfied just having the team has experienced a playoff race.

Maybe it's time to challenge the team a little bit more.

I notice that the Edmonton media guys on twitter didn't seem to appreciate that soundbite from Nuge, despite being pretty fine with the boss making worse comments only a couple weeks back...

Six of the next eight games are against teams not currently in the playoffs (including two against the Kings, who are trying to chase down the Oilers). Those are the points that the team can't afford to surrender. This is probably the stretch that decides it for the Oilers.

If they make the playoffs, this little bit of adversity might actually be good for the group. If they don't, then it's not a little adversity, it's an implosion. And that should have management, coaches and players looking at themselves and wondering what they can do better.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688583 is a reply to message #688567 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Quote:

It echoes Chiarelli's comments around the trade deadline too. Trickle down leadership, and it looks like the attitude the team is carrying around right now. That's not okay. As a professional, being where you are in the standings, you have to EXPECT playoffs.[/quote]

I don't think this has anything to do with Chia and his comments about not blowing your wad at this past deadline. What he said made perfect sense and is what he should have done. The entire media is peppering him with questions about being buyers at the deadline because it's the first time they have been buyers in what 7 or 8 years? If he says anything remotely towards saying yes we will be buyers and doesn't end up going nuts, the media would be all over him. With no second round pick, it limits what you can do and it would be insane this year to use your 1st. Plus if you look at how many team were sellers, there weren't very many.

I find Nuge's comments extremely disappointing. Since coming into the league, Nuge has been on a team that has sucked. They weren't close to the playoffs. I am sure when he was drafted, his intention was to be on a winning team and make the playoffs. It took WAY longer than I am sure he ever thought it would but FINALLY he's on a decent team and will make the playoffs. Is he pumped up to be in this position? Based on those comments, I am not so sure. The media comes out and asks you if you are satisfied to be in a playoff spot, you say "Yes it's nice to be a in playoff spot at this time of year, this is a position I have wanted to be in since I came into the league. It took a long time to get here. But now that we are in the hunt, we shouldn't be satisfied with that. I'm not satisfied with just being in the hunt. I want to clinch a spot, I want home ice advantage and I want to try for the division." That is the mindset that every guy in there should have. Just being "happy to be here" should not be on anyone's minds. It should especially not be on the minds of Nuge and Eberle. I expected those 2 especially to turn it on. They have been waiting to be in this position their entire NHL career.

If you had no clue what the standings were and you watched Eberle and Nuge play. Would anyone know they are playing meaningful hockey and have a chance to host playoff games or would you think they are just playing out the sting once again? For me it they look like they did all those years playing out the string. They have good games and bad games. Sometimes they produce, sometimes they don't.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688589 is a reply to message #688583 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 10:21

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think this has anything to do with Chia and his comments about not blowing your wad at this past deadline. What he said made perfect sense and is what he should have done. The entire media is peppering him with questions about being buyers at the deadline because it's the first time they have been buyers in what 7 or 8 years? If he says anything remotely towards saying yes we will be buyers and doesn't end up going nuts, the media would be all over him. With no second round pick, it limits what you can do and it would be insane this year to use your 1st. Plus if you look at how many team were sellers, there weren't very many.

I find Nuge's comments extremely disappointing. Since coming into the league, Nuge has been on a team that has sucked. They weren't close to the playoffs. I am sure when he was drafted, his intention was to be on a winning team and make the playoffs. It took WAY longer than I am sure he ever thought it would but FINALLY he's on a decent team and will make the playoffs. Is he pumped up to be in this position? Based on those comments, I am not so sure. The media comes out and asks you if you are satisfied to be in a playoff spot, you say "Yes it's nice to be a in playoff spot at this time of year, this is a position I have wanted to be in since I came into the league. It took a long time to get here. But now that we are in the hunt, we shouldn't be satisfied with that. I'm not satisfied with just being in the hunt. I want to clinch a spot, I want home ice advantage and I want to try for the division." That is the mindset that every guy in there should have. Just being "happy to be here" should not be on anyone's minds. It should especially not be on the minds of Nuge and Eberle. I expected those 2 especially to turn it on. They have been waiting to be in this position their entire NHL career.

If you had no clue what the standings were and you watched Eberle and Nuge play. Would anyone know they are playing meaningful hockey and have a chance to host playoff games or would you think they are just playing out the sting once again? For me it they look like they did all those years playing out the string. They have good games and bad games. Sometimes they produce, sometimes they don't.

Nuge's comment remind me more of some old Horcoff lines. "Just want to play meaningful hockey in March", "we will be happy with .500 on this road trip", and various other gems over the years.

Regardless, all of these guys need to wake up. 1 good game where it looked like everyone was on board against the Pens in 3 weeks is not good enough.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 March 2017 11:32]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688591 is a reply to message #688589 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 11:17

Quote:

Nuge's comment remind me more of some old Horcoff lines. "Just want to play meaningful hockey in March", "we will be happy with .500 on this road trip", and various other gems over the years.

Regardless, all of these guys need to wake up. 1 good game where it looked like everyone was on board against the Pens in 3 weeks is not good enough.[/quote]

I agree. IF Nuge wants to come out at the start of the year and say he's be happy with being int he hunt in March, I have no problem with that. At that time, he'd have nothing no experience to fall back on to know what that feels like. Plus his team just came off another season where they were near the bottom of the league. Hell at the start of the season, I would have been really happy with that.

But the Oilers have been in this position since the start of the season. I can understand how it would be tough to bring it every night all those years when you knew you were out of it a long time ago. Whether you won or lost really didn't matter because you have no chance. So while it's not OK, I can understand why all those guys just played out the string and on a lot of nights didn't have the competitive juices going. Especially for the guys like Nuge and Eberle who were there losing for so long. But with this season, I would have thought by now that the competitive juices would be flowing again for Nuge and Eberle. You have been in a playoff spot the whole season. You have won more than you lost the whole season. You have been near the top of your division the whole season. You'd think they would have had a "holy crap" moment where it clicks in that they are a good team, that they actually go into each game with a good shot to win, that they are probably going to the playoffs and they could do some damage. You'd think all those competitive juices and the desire to win that was suppressed for so long would be coming up and those 2 in particular would be pushing. Yet they are still plodding along like they are 20 points out of the playoffs. McDavid and Talbot in particular are the 2 main guys pulling on the reins trying to drag this team into the playoffs. When the hell are those 2 in particular going to stop hanging back, following along and instead move in beside McDavid and Talbot and start pulling as well.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688594 is a reply to message #688591 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 11:31

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 11:17

Quote:

Quote:

Regardless, all of these guys need to wake up. 1 good game where it looked like everyone was on board against the Pens in 3 weeks is not good enough.

I agree. IF Nuge wants to come out at the start of the year and say he's be happy with being int he hunt in March, I have no problem with that. At that time, he'd have nothing no experience to fall back on to know what that feels like. Plus his team just came off another season where they were near the bottom of the league. Hell at the start of the season, I would have been really happy with that.

But the Oilers have been in this position since the start of the season. I can understand how it would be tough to bring it every night all those years when you knew you were out of it a long time ago. Whether you won or lost really didn't matter because you have no chance. So while it's not OK, I can understand why all those guys just played out the string and on a lot of nights didn't have the competitive juices going. Especially for the guys like Nuge and Eberle who were there losing for so long. But with this season, I would have thought by now that the competitive juices would be flowing again for Nuge and Eberle. You have been in a playoff spot the whole season. You have won more than you lost the whole season. You have been near the top of your division the whole season. You'd think they would have had a "holy crap" moment where it clicks in that they are a good team, that they actually go into each game with a good shot to win, that they are probably going to the playoffs and they could do some damage. You'd think all those competitive juices and the desire to win that was suppressed for so long would be coming up and those 2 in particular would be pushing. Yet they are still plodding along like they are 20 points out of the playoffs. McDavid and Talbot in particular are the 2 main guys pulling on the reins trying to drag this team into the playoffs. When the hell are those 2 in particular going to stop hanging back, following along and instead move in beside McDavid and Talbot and start pulling as well.

I think it was actually in 12/13, when we were in or close to a playoff spot when Horc gave a line just like Nuge did. Back when we thought we were maybe at the point of the rebuild that we think we are today :)

I don't think Nuge is echoing Chia's comments. I actually felt the summary of Chia's comments around the deadline was that he was happy that the group he had got into the position they're in, and he felt it was only fair that he let the guys that got there show how much farther they can take it. I think the players should be proud to take their play to another level going into this push and into the playoffs. Should players be down that Chia didn't feel he had to replace 1 or 2 of them in the lineup?

It's hard to judge what Nuge is really thinking with that quote. Maybe he's just trying to stay positive, rather than showing his hand that he is satisfied to be a passenger on this journey to the playoffs. Nuge and Ebs have actually been playing better lately, so I think we'll just have to wait and see how they and the team respond.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688602 is a reply to message #688594 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 12:01

I think it was actually in 12/13, when we were in or close to a playoff spot when Horc gave a line just like Nuge did. Back when we thought we were maybe at the point of the rebuild that we think we are today :)

I don't think Nuge is echoing Chia's comments. I actually felt the summary of Chia's comments around the deadline was that he was happy that the group he had got into the position they're in, and he felt it was only fair that he let the guys that got there show how much farther they can take it. I think the players should be proud to take their play to another level going into this push and into the playoffs. Should players be down that Chia didn't feel he had to replace 1 or 2 of them in the lineup?

It's hard to judge what Nuge is really thinking with that quote. Maybe he's just trying to stay positive, rather than showing his hand that he is satisfied to be a passenger on this journey to the playoffs. Nuge and Ebs have actually been playing better lately, so I think we'll just have to wait and see how they and the team respond.

1) I think we all read waaay too much in to what athletes say in scrums. They are usually just echoing talking points they've heard, although not always very well. I don't think it means that Nugent-Hopkins is going to be happy with it if the team falls just short of the playoffs, because he has only been close to the playoffs late in the year one other time and that was in a short season.

2) Chiarelli DEFINITELY said more than that he was happy with the team. He said that he didn't think it was the year to pick up a rental, because he didn't feel the team was ready to challenge yet. "I don’t think we’re quite ready to contend for the Cup." was his exact quote. He also said "You have to gauge where your team is in its evolution. You do know, once you get into the playoffs anything can happen but you have to be realistic where your team is."

When talking about the playoffs, he said "If we make the playoffs I’d be ecstatic, because it really helps the development of these players. The fact that they are competing and feeling the pressure, that’s very positive for their development. But of course I’d like to make the playoffs." So, quite specifically, that they're competing is good for their development, and the playoffs would be the cherry on top, rather than the stated goal.

Then last week, when asked about the team's window and if looming contract costs threaten that window - “You have to be proactive in managing your players. For me, that applies to Edmonton. I don’t even think we’re in the window yet. There’s an argument that we are at the start of it. It’s just trying to stay competitive and try to get these young guys some experience.” So again, doubling down that his team isn't likely going to be competitive this year in the post-season. I don't think that makes any sense.

If the GM is just happy to be here, why should the players say anything different?

3) I think you're right that there's an attempt there by Nuge to stay positive. Coaches should always preach that you don't get too high over individual wins, and don't get too low over individual losses. A rough patch happens to every team, and when yours coincides with a rival's hot streak, it's not going to be overly fun, but you have to stay focused on the goal, and if you're slitting your wrists over a bad game, then you're going to have a hard time getting up for the next one.

I don't really like the message, but I think that management's messaging is more important than a player answering questions to a scrum, and it was way worse when that message was said by the boss than by the second line center.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 March 2017 15:35]

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688604 is a reply to message #688602 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 14:27

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 12:01

1) I think we all read waaay too much in to what athletes say in scrums. They are usually just echoing talking points they've heard, although not always very well. I don't think it means that Nugent-Hopkins is going to be happy with it if the team falls just short of the playoffs, because he has only been close to the playoffs late in the year one other time and that was in a short season.

2) Chiarelli DEFINITELY said more than that he was happy with the team. He said that he didn't think it was the year to pick up a rental, because he didn't feel the team was ready to challenge yet. "I don’t think we’re quite ready to contend for the Cup." was his exact quote. He also said "You have to gauge where your team is in its evolution. You do once you get into the playoffs anything can happen but you have to be realistic where you team is."

When talking about the playoffs, he said "If we make the playoffs I’d be ecstatic, because it really helps the development of these players. The fact that they are competing and feeling the pressure, that’s very positive for their development. But of course I’d like to make the playoffs." So, quite specifically, that they're competing is good for their development, and the playoffs would be the cherry on top, rather than the stated goal.

Then last week, when asked about the team's window and if looming contract costs threaten that window - "“You have to be proactive in managing your players. For me, that applies to Edmonton. I don’t even think we’re in the window yet. There’s an argument that we are at the start of it. It’s just trying to stay competitive and try to get these young guys some experience.” So again, doubling down that his team isn't likely going to be competitive this year in the post-season. I don't think that makes any sense.

If the GM is just happy to be here, why should the players say anything different?

3) I think you're right that there's an attempt there by Nuge to stay positive. Coaches should always preach that you don't get too high over individual wins, and don't get too low over individual losses. A rough patch happens to every team, and when yours coincides with a rival's hot streak, it's not going to be overly fun, but you have to stay focused on the goal, and if you're slitting your wrists over a bad game, then you're going to have a hard time getting up for the next one.

I don't really like the message, but I think that management's messaging is more important than a player answering questions to a scrum, and it was way worse when that message was said by the boss than by the second line center.

Hmmm, well I forgot a lot of those Chia quotes. That is a lot of lip smackings. Definitely could have approached those questions better ways.

"I was looking to add, but the price was too high"

"Don't want to sell the future too heavily at this point and losing the 2nd pick made it difficult to make moves" (blame the NHL for losing the pick is an easy excuse)

"Optimistic that the group has potential to reach a higher level as the stakes get higher"

etc...

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688606 is a reply to message #688604 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 15:20

Hmmm, well I forgot a lot of those Chia quotes. That is a lot of lip smackings. Definitely could have approached those questions better ways.

"I was looking to add, but the price was too high"

"Don't want to sell the future too heavily at this point and losing the 2nd pick made it difficult to make moves" (blame the NHL for losing the pick is an easy excuse)

"Optimistic that the group has potential to reach a higher level as the stakes get higher"

etc...

Hell, you could say "I thought the team has played really well, and I didn't want to upset the chemistry. That group, as is, deserves the opportunity to show what kind of noise they can make in the playoffs."

I swear, Oilers management past and present is always only concerned about pressure from Oilers fans. Those quotes were all bad when he first said them...but at least you could pretend it was all about keeping prices low heading in to the deadline. Why on earth would he suggest that the window for the Oilers might not really be open yet last week??? Where's the win in that?

And "just trying to get the young guys some experience"? What??? Is that our whole goal for the year? Why can't we try pushing people to succeed for once? Or do we only do that for specific individuals who are already on the outs with the fanbase?

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688592 is a reply to message #688583 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I know this has been harped on before but this is so true! These, based on amount of pay and team responsibility are suppose to be two of our best and key players and they can't bother to show up with a full effort every night down the stretch? What else have they got to do? What happened to all their hockey sense and skill? At least give it you're all boys and if we get bumped out you can still hold you're heads high. McDavid is the saving grace in all this but he can't carry the second, third and fourth line. Smelling salts maybe?

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688571 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Sun, 12 March 2017 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

A couple of us got blasted a couple of games ago for panicking after a loss about our playoff chances being at risk if we kept playing bad. After the last couple losses that possibility looks even more real not that we will do much if we squeak into the playoffs playing like this.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688573 is a reply to message #688537 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Need to shake up the lines again. Maroon looks completely gassed halfway into the game and just can't keep up or make plays with McDavid. Neither can LD for that matter. Of course, it's difficult for anyone to keep up wit 97, really, but they just hit a funk at the worst time... time to drop LD back down into the 2 spot and give him Lucic and Eberle on his wings, maybe even put RNH up as 97's winger? Also, I really truly don't understand what McLellan has against Slepyshev, this guy is clearly better than probably 2-3 players on the roster at the moment and he simply refuses to play him because why, he's young? They have enough veterans on the roster to compensate for that.

Anyways you could see the ending come from a mile away last night. Disappointing, but I kind of figured they'd drop this one after they played like they did against Pitt and Montreal having 2 days rest with good practices... gotta shake the lines up, got to bounce back.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688574 is a reply to message #688573 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hubbs  is currently offline Hubbs

No Cups

I was wondering the same thing, Sleppy may not produce a bunch (but no one has been) but he does add size and speed, he creates some havoc in the offensive zone and gets shots on net. The lack of use of both Sleppy and Pitlick (when he was healthy) always baffled me from the start of the year.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688575 is a reply to message #688574 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Very disappointing effort, particularly given that great game vs the Pens.
That being said, the Pens play a much more open, free flowing game which plays to our advantage.
The Habs were a much more suffocating, hard on the forecheck team. We really need to figure out how to beat those tight checking teams.

Agree on Drai - looks absolutely gassed. Need to cut down his minutes. Here's hoping for a rebound effort vs Dallas tomorrow night.
Hopefully Pittsburgh can do us a solid and thump those pesky Flames tonight.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688576 is a reply to message #688575 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Very disappointing effort. I thought Talbot was very good. I thought Price was excellent and kept the Habs in the game especially in the 3rd when the Oilers tried to put it away early. I thought Lucic was really good. His solo goal to me said why they brought him in. He looks as though he's starting to rev up. I think the need to take Drai off McDavid's wing. Change things up, give him less mins. I'd even consider cycling in Kassian for a very short stint. I am sure people will rip me for saying that but he's been going really well for awhile now. I was pretty surprised I didn't see more juice from Desharnais. I thought he wasn't that great.

Last nights game was a game where you needed your secondary scoring to come in. They got a solo goal from Lucic. Paging Nuge and Eberle, hello? Anyone seen them. I actually though those 2 were not too bad last night and had some chances but the Oilers need some goals from them. Chances aren't enough anymore, they need them to produce.

I was at the Pittsburgh game, maybe the best game I have seen in a long time. I thought Nuge and Eberle weren't too bad but those 2 both had several times to win the game for the Oilers especially in OT. Eberle had a couple of really good chances, he's supposed to be a goal scorer, score a freaking goal. Nuge gets a beauty feed from Eberle tight to the goal, he can't raise the puck to score. You were a #1 overall, supposedly offensive center, you HAVE TOO score there. The Oilers desperately need those 2 to pick it up and produce consistently if the Oilers are going to go anywhere.

I don't buy into the players are tired. #1 The best players are young. #2 We are in the 13th day of March. The Oilers have played 4 times. That's a game every 3 days. Most teams play a game every 2 days. So the Oilers these past 2 weeks have been getting more rest and more practice time than most teams. I think they need to get into a more regular routine.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 March 2017 08:45]

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688577 is a reply to message #688575 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Well looks like I was extra right about this game, only one to predict the score and I said for a while now it's going to be really close for the Oilers being out of the playoffs. We have 3 games against LA and those 3 games could basically make them even with us in points for the last place. Leaving 11 games to be better than them.

Team has no heart, also you just need to watch the pass with Mcdavid and Drai and you have them figured out.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68) [message #688586 is a reply to message #688577 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Mon, 13 March 2017 08:42

Well looks like I was extra right about this game, only one to predict the score and I said for a while now it's going to be really close for the Oilers being out of the playoffs. We have 3 games against LA and those 3 games could basically make them even with us in points for the last place. Leaving 11 games to be better than them.

Team has no heart, also you just need to watch the pass with Mcdavid and Drai and you have them figured out.

"team has no heart"

spewing garbage, good for you

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #69)
Next Topic:Davidson traded for Desharnais
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca