This day on June 24
Acquired: Eric Brewer (2000) Josh Green (2000) Alexei Mikhnov (2000) Brad Winchester (2000) Kari Haakana (2001) Jussi Markkanen (2001) Ales Pisa (2001) Theo Peckham (2006) Bryan Pitton (2006) Cody Wild (2006) Jeff Petry (2006) Colin Fraser (2010)
Departed: Scott Mellanby (1993) Ron Tugnutt (1993) Roman Hamrlik (2000)

Happy Birthday To: oilboy, oilmann89, smittie, timbit, DrunkCanuck, Oiler_Nut1, Mr. Bugg

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688474]
Fri, 10 March 2017 21:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT) (SO)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: CrusaderPi, dkb19, foraprice, hockeyplayer01, Leia, oiler_head, okoilerguy, PlusOne, Roleplayer, Skoobz and stemhovlichski for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   36%
Pittsburgh to win:   64%
58 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688479 is a reply to message #688474 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Moral victories suck. icon_dead

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688480 is a reply to message #688474 ]
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

Good game, bad result.

They need to play the rest of the season like that.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688481 is a reply to message #688474 ]
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Keep playing like those last 2 periods and the rest of the season should be a sweet ride.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688482 is a reply to message #688474 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Not sure about Draisatl in SO. Maybe Eberle instead?

Dunno. He's not exactly had nice hands lately.

All in all a great game.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688485 is a reply to message #688482 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike is currently online Mike

4 Cups

Can't complain too much. Too bad they couldn't have buried those chances in OT, but great job getting that huge point.

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688483 is a reply to message #688474 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Oh, and f the ref for ignoring that blatant trip by Fleury on McDavid in OT. That was horsecrap. And then they call a trip on us.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688484 is a reply to message #688474 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilersfan2  is currently offline oilersfan2

No Cups

What a sneaky little trip by Fleury, damn him!!

Shoot the puck!!

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688486 is a reply to message #688474 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

That's the oilers team that makes me think we can make some noise in the playoffs.

The Oilers that showed up against the Islanders are the team that makes me think we'D get swept in four.

Feeling better about the team tonight. Best effort in a while.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688487 is a reply to message #688486 ]
Sat, 11 March 2017 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Those second two periods and OT were unbelievable hockey. Play like that and we win way more than we lose.

Super entertaining game. Not even mad that we lost as we're back ahead of the Flamers.

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688488 is a reply to message #688487 ]
Sat, 11 March 2017 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Oh well, thought the game was on delay at 6am here, got up to watch it to find it was on at 10.30 instead. Trying to delete the Oilers mail with the result turned into an epic fail doh

So I'll watch the game in a couple of hours.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 March 2017 00:51]

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688489 is a reply to message #688488 ]
Sat, 11 March 2017 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

That game actually felt like a playoff game, not going to lie. Take away their lucky bounce goal, let a few of those shots go bar in rather than out by us, and this is a different outcome. Really entertaining game though and a good team to see how we can play at our best against.

I felt like Russel was out there a ton tonight, and had some key blocks. Talbot played great! Blatant trip by Fleury which had nothing to do with making the save as well, and Eberle needs to simply not make that play. It's not a penalty you have to take there, but great kill (I can't believe I just said that) by the boys!

And obviously, McDavid... what more can you say about the guy? If we had a driver in Hall, we have a Schumacher in McDavid. The guy can carry this team on his back, and honestly, sometimes he makes Draisaitl look like a plug, missing open nets after receiving gifts from McDavid, simply because he's not prepared or expecting someone to be able to do what McDavid does.

Oh and I thought RNH and Lucic played great tonight too and if that's how they play in a 'playoff' type atmosphere, then I'm glad we have them.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 March 2017 06:54]

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688490 is a reply to message #688489 ]
Sat, 11 March 2017 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Sat, 11 March 2017 06:52

And obviously, McDavid... what more can you say about the guy? If we had a driver in Hall, we have a Schumacher in McDavid. The guy can carry this team on his back, and honestly, sometimes he makes Draisaitl look like a plug, missing open nets after receiving gifts from McDavid, simply because he's not prepared or expecting someone to be able to do what McDavid does.

No disrespect to Larsson and his contributions, but I would still reverse that trade in a second. Likely toss our 1st in as well. Perhaps I would deal him for a different Dman this summer, but it would have to be a better return.

All this being said, if he was a cancer in the room, all bets are off. But NONE of us here actually know that, so this is my opinion.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688491 is a reply to message #688490 ]
Sat, 11 March 2017 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 11 March 2017 06:57

No disrespect to Larsson and his contributions, but I would still reverse that trade in a second. Likely toss our 1st in as well. Perhaps I would deal him for a different Dman this summer, but it would have to be a better return.

All this being said, if he was a cancer in the room, all bets are off. But NONE of us here actually know that, so this is my opinion.

I think we will gauge whether the Hall-Larsson deal was decent once Duchene goes. Duchene is regarded as a better player, and the Avs are in the position we were when we dealt Hall; that being the major need for a top pairing D man.

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688494 is a reply to message #688491 ]
Sat, 11 March 2017 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

mazankowski wrote on Sat, 11 March 2017 10:13

g2k wrote on Sat, 11 March 2017 06:57

I think we will gauge whether the Hall-Larsson deal was decent once Duchene goes. Duchene is regarded as a better player, and the Avs are in the position we were when we dealt Hall; that being the major need for a top pairing D man.

There's no way Hall could grow a muzzy like Larsson. For that reason alone, we're better with Larsson. Seriously though, the team is better with Larsson than Hall. Locker room antics and outside life aside. The Oilers are a better team with Adam Larsson. Sure, Hall's offensive drive is missed however last season (sans Larsson and with Hall) the Oilers finished the season with 203 goals for. This year, through 67 games, the Oilers have scored 190 goals.

Goals for since Taylor Hall's draft year;
2010/11 - 193
2011/12 - 212
2012/13 - 125 (lockout shortened season)
2013/14 - 203
2014/15 - 198
2015/16 - 203
2016/17 - 190 (thru 67 games)

I have a Hall jersey in my closet. I was, still am, a fan of Taylor Hall. But as an Oiler fan... I can't argue that the team would be any better with Hall than they are with Larsson. Sure, there are other contributing factors such as a healthy and more dominant Connor McDavid. Colour me excited we have Adam Larsson. Colour me excited to be watching meaningful Oilers hockey in March. Colour me excited for the prospect of playoff hockey again in Oil Country.

I may be one of very few, however my next jersey may very well be an Adam Larsson 6

[Updated on: Sat, 11 March 2017 10:43]

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688492 is a reply to message #688490 ]
Sat, 11 March 2017 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 11 March 2017 07:57

He was a cancer in the room though. Part of it wasn't even his fault... the frustration and lack of anything positive happening for him and the franchise up to that point - the complete ineptitude of everyone basically, was a real factor in how things ended up. That last season it was clear he was sick of this place and lost interest, irregardless of what he's said in the media or what people want to think. I've also seen absolutely no plausible alternatives in terms of trade proposals by fans, media, pundits, anyone at all, as to how the Oilers were going to fix the D corps moving forward. None. The previous regime put them in the spot they were in, and Chia worked accordingly to try and fix things... Hall trade was the result. Sometimes you need to "lose" a deal to get what you need and bring the balance back.

Having Larsson here has allowed Klefbom to blossom. Both are still young with room to grow, friends on and off the ice, on value deals who have the perfect blend of yin and yang. Larsson is a more valuable piece to this team than Hall would've been going forth and has given the team a legitimate top pair. What they lost in Hall, a secondary core group of Pulju, Eberle, RNH, Lucic and LD should be more than enough to offset. Doesn't bother me one bit that the perceived value in that deal wasn't there, and it was a reality check for the greater fan base and Hall fanboys in particular. People really need to let it go and move on. The team will be fine.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 March 2017 11:25]

Re: Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688596 is a reply to message #688492 ]
Mon, 13 March 2017 12:17 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

I was at the game. It was the best game I have seen in a very long time. If Fleury is just good in that game, the Oilers win at least 4-2. Fleury was outstanding and he stole that game.

Previous Topic:Davidson traded for Desharnais
Next Topic:Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #68)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca