This day on October 18
Acquired: Randy Gregg (1982)

Happy Birthday To: chimera28_istheman, ct_cruiser, DAVEBF100, bcon, KT84, Chrome, HockeyFan4Life, sparky99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688384]
Fri, 10 March 2017 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT) (SO)
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Pittsburgh to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2016-17 Regular Season
Tuesday, November 8, 2016Edmonton 3 @ Pittsburgh 4Loss
Friday, March 10, 2017Pittsburgh 3 @ Edmonton 2 (OT) (SO)Loss
Home Record: 0-0-1       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 2/3 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/4 Total: 7

2015-16 Regular Season
Friday, November 6, 2015Pittsburgh 2 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Saturday, November 28, 2015Edmonton 3 @ Pittsburgh 2 (OT) (SO)Win
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/3 Total: 4
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/2 Total: 4

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688386 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Soooooo... the Flames are tied with the Oil now, after destroying Montreal last night.

Calgary was supposed to be the team that had the tougher schedule heading down the final stretch, however they are hammering teams right now.

I wonder when we'll actually start to see some well-rounded scoring from our squad. Nuge, Eberle and Lucic should put on their big boy pants and really help this team, rather than be an anchor that stops it from being great. Maroon and Drain have to step up again as well, as they've really cooled off lately.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688388 is a reply to message #688386 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Does it matter who says the now seemingly obligatory MUST WIN statement?

On delay over here at 6am tomorrow, looking forward to watching this one.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688389 is a reply to message #688388 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Leia wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 08:16

Anyone can make any statement they like. That's the beauty of a free society on the internet. For me, I rate this game 5 must wins out of 10. It's a MUST WIN, tangentially.

Friendly reminder: McDavid will be taking 8.725 million more in cap space next season. The time to win is now.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688393 is a reply to message #688389 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 08:23

Anyone can make any statement they like. That's the beauty of a free society on the internet. For me, I rate this game 5 must wins out of 10. It's a MUST WIN, tangentially.

On the run in, I'm starting to get superstitious if only till we get past the finish line and are sure of a post season place.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688396 is a reply to message #688393 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Leia wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 08:32

On the run in, I'm starting to get superstitious if only till we get past the finish line and are sure of a post season place.

I've already made a guarantee to the board that the Oilers are in, but I'll make a second personal guarantee to you. They're in. You need not have any fear. Free yourself from your burden and live secure in the knowledge that playoff hockey will return to Edmonton. Leia, I guarantee it.

Friendly reminder: McDavid will be taking 8.725 million more in cap space next season. The time to win is now.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688397 is a reply to message #688389 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Stop typing words I have to look up. That right click "lookup tangentially" is really hard.

Look, it's Friday and I'd love to be light and quip a witty response from my treasure trove of witty responses, but listen, the Oil are in trouble. Calgary caught up, SJ pulled away and Anaheim is now passed us.

I am predicting a loss tonight. Secondary scoring is vapid, our PK is a mess (I'd hate to say it but I think Lander was doing some good on it), Maroon has cooled off, as has Letestu. All the while McDavid is still really the only one driving scoring chances.

Pouliot is back and it's my hope he provides a bunch of jump but with the way he's been playing this year, it's not likely.

I don't the answer to what maskes this team jump, but to quote a scene from Rocky II:

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688399 is a reply to message #688397 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 08:59

Stop typing words I have to look up. That right click "lookup tangentially" is really hard.

You should follow the Merriam Webster Dictionary on twitter. It's a surprisingly entertaining follow, and it might just be what you need to catapult past CrusaderPi in the Great Oilfans Vocabulary War of 2017.

This should be a good game. I expect McDavid will be on, and hopefully he can get the support he needs. The Oilers need to string together a few good games here and lock things down.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688400 is a reply to message #688399 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 09:08

You should follow the Merriam Webster Dictionary on twitter. It's a surprisingly entertaining follow, and it might just be what you need to catapult past CrusaderPi in the Great Oilfans Vocabulary War of 2017.

I've said it before, but I am relieved MJ purged the database of messages from the early 00's; I'm not sure I was capable of writing a coherent thought. Now, I think I successfully and correctly used a semi colon in a real life situation.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688407 is a reply to message #688400 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 09:17

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 09:08

I've said it before, but I am relieved MJ purged the database of messages from the early 00's; I'm not sure I was capable of writing a coherent thought. Now, I think I successfully and correctly used a semi colon in a real life situation.

Yeah, I'm pretty glad some of those old discussions are gone too. I'm not sure anyone needs to read me chewing up threads with Old Grey Monkey, or defending the career prospects of Danny Syvret.

What's the secret of your semi-colon success;? And does use in an emoji count? ;)

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688403 is a reply to message #688389 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 07:23

Visually speaking, I would estimate this to be a Must Win.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688390 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

A loss today drops us to the wild card as games played will be even and the Flames ROW is 34 while the Oil carry a 31. I've come to grips that playoffs are almost a certainty and am beyond fired up for that. But gosh golly miss molly... after all the ridicule we've endured over the last decade, it sure would be great finishing ahead of Calgary.

MUST WIN!

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688421 is a reply to message #688390 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 08:24

A loss today drops us to the wild card as games played will be even and the Flames ROW is 34 while the Oil carry a 31. I've come to grips that playoffs are almost a certainty and am beyond fired up for that. But gosh golly miss molly... after all the ridicule we've endured over the last decade, it sure would be great finishing ahead of Calgary.

MUST WIN!

Seems kinda stupid that the first tie breaker is ROW and not head to head. If you spank a team four times in one season and end up tied I think you should get the advantage.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688398 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Every team that is pressuring us for a playoff spot won last night. The Oilers had better be giving their all tonight. Fatigue should not be a factor, they have had plenty of time to practice too. Win or lose, nothing short of a full effort is acceptable tonight.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688401 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Good feeling about this one.

Connor with a pair, and we get some good secondary scoring.

Don't make me a liar, Oilers.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688402 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

1 Cup

Do or do not, there is no try

MUST WIN. ABSOLUTELY

chop water carry wood?

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2017 09:30]

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688404 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Bad feeling.

Schultz with 4 "Former Oiler" points.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688405 is a reply to message #688404 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

We are going to get destroyed tonight. Making my march predictions 3-0.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688406 is a reply to message #688405 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

MUST WIN!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688408 is a reply to message #688404 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 12:55

Bad feeling.

The castoff with more points than any Oiler other than McDavid and Draisaitl? Nah...

I'm worried about this game. I know the % says we are almost a lock to make the playoffs, but I won't rest easy until I see that "clinched" next to our name in the standings. 8 points up with 16 games to go is promising, but it's just potentially one 4 game losing streak away from having us on the outside looking in.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688410 is a reply to message #688408 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 10:39

Bad feeling.

The castoff with more points than any Oiler other than McDavid and Draisaitl? Nah...

I'm worried about this game. I know the % says we are almost a lock to make the playoffs, but I won't rest easy until I see that "clinched" next to our name in the standings. 8 points up with 16 games to go is promising, but it's just potentially one 4 game losing streak away from having us on the outside looking in.

The right-shot offensively gifted, powerplay quarterback defenceman? I thought such things were the stuff of myths and legends?

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688415 is a reply to message #688410 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 11:54

Bad feeling.

The right-shot offensively gifted, powerplay quarterback defenceman? I thought such things were the stuff of myths and legends?

I have used the term unicorn on this board for that player before but that is not accurate as this player is out there to find. I have always had the opinion that acquiring one that is already among the top would cost way too much, in both assets and cap space.
Developing one is not the Oilers strong suit, as has been pointed out.

Specifically with Schultz I think there were a lot of factors from the team handling to his attitude coming out of college. IIRC his reason for not signing after being drafted and going FA was that he didnt want to play in the minors. Rumor at the time was that over half the league offered him max contract and he picked the Oilers for opportunity and promise to stay in the bigs.
As far as his new found success I think this isnt case only of him improving this year but the power play he is a part of. I am sure a player with even an ounce of offensive talent would put up some points on the PP. Ours is still disorganized at times but when he was on the team it was amazing just how bad it was at times.
Schultz always had the ability back there but a lot of things kept him down, some his fault some the teams.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688417 is a reply to message #688415 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 15:04

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 11:54

Bad feeling.

I have used the term unicorn on this board for that player before but that is not accurate as this player is out there to find. I have always had the opinion that acquiring one that is already among the top would cost way too much, in both assets and cap space.
Developing one is not the Oilers strong suit, as has been pointed out.

Specifically with Schultz I think there were a lot of factors from the team handling to his attitude coming out of college. IIRC his reason for not signing after being drafted and going FA was that he didnt want to play in the minors. Rumor at the time was that over half the league offered him max contract and he picked the Oilers for opportunity and promise to stay in the bigs.
As far as his new found success I think this isnt case only of him improving this year but the power play he is a part of. I am sure a player with even an ounce of offensive talent would put up some points on the PP. Ours is still disorganized at times but when he was on the team it was amazing just how bad it was at times.
Schultz always had the ability back there but a lot of things kept him down, some his fault some the teams.

IMHO, he was put in a position to fail. He was never a #1 or even top pairing guy. The skill was on full display in his rookie season, but then Eakins happened.

This year he sits 4th in D scoring in the NHL and also sports one of the best +/- in the league at +28. And though he is getting PP points (17), he is 7th in the NHL for EV pts for D. Difference is now he is playing 2nd/3rd pairing and ~19 minutes as opposed to top pairing and 22+.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688409 is a reply to message #688404 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 09:55

Bad feeling.

McLellan said yesterday that the coaching staff handled Schultz with kid gloves last year to try to keep his confidence up. Funny, I seem to recall multiple instances where McLellan was happy to rip Schultz a new a-hole to the media.

I know I took part in the Schultz bashing a lot over the years, but still, I am seeing pattern forming with this coaching staff of not being able to get that much (not near potential at least) out of anyone but the 100% self driven hockey players. Guys with confidence issues, or needing help from coaching, they just seem to be floating out there in no mans land, and occasionally getting their effort level bashed.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688411 is a reply to message #688409 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

So all the Lucic boosters here that said we had unreal expectations of him, what are your thought on him now?

He is projected to finish with 44 points this season, that would be his lowest point for points per game in the last 7 years matching his 44 point season 2 years ago.

That would be a 11 point drop from last year. He spent about 1/4 of the season riding on McDavid (boosting his points).

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688412 is a reply to message #688411 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 10:59

So all the Lucic boosters here that said we had unreal expectations of him, what are your thought on him now?

He is projected to finish with 44 points this season, that would be his lowest point for points per game in the last 7 years matching his 44 point season 2 years ago.

That would be a 11 point drop from last year. He spent about 1/4 of the season riding on McDavid (boosting his points).

I still have patience for Lucic. He has been playing much better lately. Even though he did get some points with McDavid, they had no chemistry together at all. Neither guy really benefited from that pairing, McLellan needed to spend time trying to make something else work, but just stubbornly kept them together. He has still managed to be 4th in team scoring. McLellan really hasn't got much out of any guy on this team except for McDavid, Drai and can argue Klefbom.

Let's see if his game keeps improving. Lots of people were ready to write Sek off last season, but he has been way better this year.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688413 is a reply to message #688412 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 11:05

McDavid97 wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 10:59

I still have patience for Lucic. He has been playing much better lately. Even though he did get some points with McDavid, they had no chemistry together at all. Neither guy really benefited from that pairing, McLellan needed to spend time trying to make something else work, but just stubbornly kept them together. He has still managed to be 4th in team scoring. McLellan really hasn't got much out of any guy on this team except for McDavid, Drai and can argue Klefbom.

Let's see if his game keeps improving. Lots of people were ready to write Sek off last season, but he has been way better this year.

I agree. I disliked the Lucic signing, but not for years 1 & 2. I think down years happen and there's a lot of factors at play. Hopefully he (along with several of the other under-performers) show their value in the playoffs.

And hopefully the coaching staff is taking note of just how many players are having poor seasons under them. Schultz coming in to town tonight is another reminder of a guy who had an even worse time under McLellan than he did under Eakins (which seemed nigh impossible). McLellan had better be taking his share of the responsibility and developing plans for what he can do better to unlock these guys production if he's even halfways worth his salt.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688414 is a reply to message #688413 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 11:23

And hopefully the coaching staff is taking note of just how many players are having poor seasons under them. Schultz coming in to town tonight is another reminder of a guy who had an even worse time under McLellan than he did under Eakins (which seemed nigh impossible). McLellan had better be taking his share of the responsibility and developing plans for what he can do better to unlock these guys production if he's even halfways worth his salt.

And on cue, McLellan blames the fans for running Schultz out of town...guy went 3-7-10 in 45 games under McLellan...

Ugh.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688418 is a reply to message #688414 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 11:55

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 11:23

And on cue, McLellan blames the fans for running Schultz out of town...guy went 3-7-10 in 45 games under McLellan...

Ugh.

The interview from yesterday? Yeah, that is what I was referencing in my other post. He claims he was very nurturing with Schultz and tried to give him all the support he could, but outside forced kept breaking his confidence. Would be very easy to find many instances last year of McLellan calling him out as a lazy bum, and by the end just plainly saying (as plainly as he could without saying names) he needs to gtfo.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688416 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Are we really going to do this dance with Schultz now?

He's not good. He plays 3rd pairing defensive minutes (not well) and cherrypicks the PP points because he plays with Crosby, Kessel, and Malkin. M.A. Bergeron could have done the same thing if he was playing with those guys.

Why anybody insists on judging defencemen by how many points they score is beyond me.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688419 is a reply to message #688416 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 12:11

He's not good. He plays 3rd pairing defensive minutes (not well) and cherrypicks the PP points because he plays with Crosby, Kessel, and Malkin. M.A. Bergeron could have done the same thing if he was playing with those guys.

Why anybody insists on judging defencemen by how many points they score is beyond me.

We kinda could use that now though, couldn't we? RHD PP specialist that can handle 2nd/3rd pairing. We have high end talent on this team to fill out a 1st PP unit, although you can argue we lack the other super important thing, high end PP coaching :)

Of course, the issue with keeping Schultz as an Oiler roots from MacT's idiotic 2nd contract he gave him. THere was no reason to give Schultz such a massive raise on a short term deal. MacT was just so convinced Schultz was a 1st pairing Norris contender that he didn't even negotiate. plenty of warning signs were there in his 2nd season. A 1 year deal should have been something like 2M. Maybe 3M on a 2 year deal. Nope, let's just toss him 3.6M. Subban's bridge was 2 years at 2.9, and he already proved he was a very good all situation player. Schultz was extremely weak in the last part of the 13/14 season, but MacT convinced himself to ignore all of it.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2017 12:49]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688424 is a reply to message #688419 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 11:28

We kinda could use that now though, couldn't we? RHD PP specialist that can handle 2nd/3rd pairing. We have high end talent on this team to fill out a 1st PP unit, although you can argue we lack the other super important thing, high end PP coaching :)

Of course, the issue with keeping Schultz as an Oiler roots from MacT's idiotic 2nd contract he gave him. THere was no reason to give Schultz such a massive raise on a short term deal. MacT was just so convinced Schultz was a 1st pairing Norris contender that he didn't even negotiate. plenty of warning signs were there in his 2nd season. A 1 year deal should have been something like 2M. Maybe 3M on a 2 year deal. Nope, let's just toss him 3.6M. Subban's bridge was 2 years at 2.9, and he already proved he was a very good all situation player. Schultz was extremely weak in the last part of the 13/14 season, but MacT convinced himself to ignore all of it.

Not to mention running Jeff Petry out of town, thereby giving Schultz zero cover. They didn't have anyone else that could take top pairing minutes. And the Oilers were always trailing, so their best offensive defenseman ended up getting 25 minutes a night and continually got crushed.

It's really amazing how many careers were derailed by the disaster that team was. I've been mulling a post about where this team would be right now if MacT/Eakins hadn't happened. Yes, there would be no McDavid, but how competitive could this team have been with Krueger as the head coach, the first three #1 overalls actually living up to expetations, Sam Gagner as a 4th line centre/PP specialist, Jeff Petry, a properly utilized Schultz, Dubnyk, etc., etc.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688429 is a reply to message #688419 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 12:28

Massive, massive mistakes all over with the handling of that player. I honestly don't care what was promised to him when he signed - and we have no idea what those assurances truly were - Coaches and managers are paid to do what's best for the team and for the player's development. I don't think there were many times when those interests were placed foremost.

The team was so intent on showing potential to the fans, that they threw players in to the deep end, and hoped for the best. It wasn't a good strategy with any of them, and with some it was downright disastrous.

Schultz was force-fed big minutes with bad partners because the Oilers wanted him to be ready, not because he'd shown he could handle it.

As for Schultz now? He's logging decent minutes on the Penguins - he's not just playing 3rd pairing time - and he's been very, very successful both as ES and PP.

For what it's worth, Bergeron was a much more valuable player than he was appreciated at here too. Not saying he didn't have flaws, but other teams after the Oilers got more out of that player, simply by changing to a more appropriate usage. The Oilers always seem to have this idiotic idea that if a guy is on the third pairing, he should be big, brawny and stay in single-digit points all season so the idea of using a guy like Bergeron as a PP specialist and protecting him when possible from the other team's best lines has been completely foreign to them.

Let's face it - the Oilers currently are seeking a player who's playing the exact role that the guy they gave away for next to nothing last year is playing on one of the top teams in the league.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688432 is a reply to message #688429 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 15:10

Let's face it - the Oilers currently are seeking a player who's playing the exact role that the guy they gave away for next to nothing last year is playing on one of the top teams in the league.

Twice. The second they traded Petry they needed a Petry-type player. Are the Oilers better right now if they have Petry and this version of Schultz in the lineup tonight? I think so. But, I don't think we were ever going to see this version of Schultz (or the current version of Dubnyk) as an Oiler. I give Chiarelli a pass on the Schultz trade an lay blame directly at the feet of Craig MacTavish, who is STILL somehow employed by the Edmonton Oilers professional hockey club.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688433 is a reply to message #688432 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 15:37

Twice. The second they traded Petry they needed a Petry-type player. Are the Oilers better right now if they have Petry and this version of Schultz in the lineup tonight? I think so. But, I don't think we were ever going to see this version of Schultz (or the current version of Dubnyk) as an Oiler. I give Chiarelli a pass on the Schultz trade an lay blame directly at the feet of Craig MacTavish, who is STILL somehow employed by the Edmonton Oilers professional hockey club.

If you watch Schultz highlights, the guy is fearless at joining rushes with the Pens. I bet he plays on the Pens like he did in the AHL, and did for a short time for us under Krueger before he ran out of gas in the last month or so. Unfortunately, that is not at all McLellan hockey. I think Schultz would still be struggling as a 2nd pairing guy on our current team. And the PP is still no place for a guy to consistently build confidence.

It's hard to reconcile as a fan. I just find it annoying that McLellan passes off all blame of what happened with Schultz. I would assume MacT and Chia do the same. I would love to be able to say we currently have a team where players like Schultz could make a go of it, but I think we still are not there.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2017 15:58]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688435 is a reply to message #688432 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 15:37

I'm with you on Chiarelli. He had no options but to liquidate. MacTavish and Eakins both were huge factors there, and honestly, I don't think McLellan did any favours. He certainly didn't seem to inspire any confidence in Schultz, who struggled badly under the current bench boss.

What worries me most is that we're now seeing several other players also struggling under McLellan, and he's got no qualms about calling them out for underperforming in the media. I don't think it's occurred to him that he could be doing anything wrong at all. I'm glad the Oilers are better this year, but I think there's a lot that could make them better still, and stubborn coaching isn't one of them. I worry that he's going to repeat the same mistakes with players again and again, and that will help drive their value down before forcing an eventual exit.

There's a lot of players following Schultz's route under McLellan right now. Struggling, low confidence and a target of the coach in the media. That's not good, and I think that Schultz provides an example of why the Oilers can't get caught in that spiral.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688434 is a reply to message #688429 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Massive, massive mistakes all over with the handling of that player. I honestly don't care what was promised to him when he signed - and we have no idea what those assurances truly were - Coaches and managers are paid to do what's best for the team and for the player's development. I don't think there were many times when those interests were placed foremost.

The team was so intent on showing potential to the fans, that they threw players in to the deep end, and hoped for the best. It wasn't a good strategy with any of them, and with some it was downright disastrous.

Schultz was force-fed big minutes with bad partners because the Oilers wanted him to be ready, not because he'd shown he could handle it.

As for Schultz now? He's logging decent minutes on the Penguins - he's not just playing 3rd pairing time - and he's been very, very successful both as ES and PP.

For what it's worth, Bergeron was a much more valuable player than he was appreciated at here too. Not saying he didn't have flaws, but other teams after the Oilers got more out of that player, simply by changing to a more appropriate usage. The Oilers always seem to have this idiotic idea that if a guy is on the third pairing, he should be big, brawny and stay in single-digit points all season so the idea of using a guy like Bergeron as a PP specialist and protecting him when possible from the other team's best lines has been completely foreign to them.

This team didn't win until a new GM came in and stopping trying to play with butter soft, no hit defencemen. He worried more about keeping the puck out of the net and assembled a functional D and a goalie that could handle everything else.

From Poti, to Bergeron, to Petry, to Schultz and many in between, this team failed to find the style of defenceman that wins games. I actually don't even blame those players for all the losing, it was the GM and POHO who kept insisting that their losing style was the way of the future that buried this club for 15 years.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688438 is a reply to message #688434 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 16:17

This team didn't win until a new GM came in and stopping trying to play with butter soft, no hit defencemen. He worried more about keeping the puck out of the net and assembled a functional D and a goalie that could handle everything else.

From Poti, to Bergeron, to Petry, to Schultz and many in between, this team failed to find the style of defenceman that wins games. I actually don't even blame those players for all the losing, it was the GM and POHO who kept insisting that their losing style was the way of the future that buried this club for 15 years.

Like I said in another post here, it's all hard to reconcile as a fan.

Schultz did just win a cup with the Pens. he played some time on their 2nd pair, and he was blasting 1-timers like a boss on their PP. That seriously happened :)

He's playing a 2nd/3rd pairing role, and thanks to how Sullivan coaches, looking to annihilate competition with a non-stop offensive slaughter, he is racking up points there because he is a great skater and can joint the rush at will.

At the same time, we were a bunch of panies on this team, we needed to get tougher to compete in our division. But, there is still a happy medium that could be achieved with a guy like Schultz in the group. In a perfect world at least, maybe not with how McLellan coaches.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688420 is a reply to message #688384 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just to ensure the necessary amount of panic is out there every time the Oilers take a penalty. Here is the Oilers PK % the last 7 games:

46.1%

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #688422 is a reply to message #688420 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 13:04

Just to ensure the necessary amount of panic is out there every time the Oilers take a penalty. Here is the Oilers PK % the last 7 games:

46.1%

This seems like a coaching issue, no? Maybe it's time to make some, oh I don't know, adjustments on the PK?

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Next Topic:Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca