Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
NY Islanders to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688279 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove is currently online vsove

1 Cup

Stinker of a game.

These are the sorts of games that tell me we're still not there.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688281 is a reply to message #688279 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Not good enough to take a night off yet boys.

Well, friends the time has come to usher in a new era. One in which we hold our heads high and proudly say, "We were Oilers once, and men too"

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688280 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73 is currently online Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Not a good enough effort by this team tonight. TMac will likely be bag-skating the lot of them tomorrow.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688285 is a reply to message #688280 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 21:25

Not a good enough effort by this team tonight. TMac will likely be bag-skating the lot of them tomorrow.

I don't know why everyone always calls for bag skates after every bad loss. It's a horrible, horrible coaching strategy, especially when you play almost every other night. Totally old school thinking, and in most cases, pretty counter-productive.

Not a great game, but it still hinges on a couple of plays. When the game is tied, the Oilers are having chance after chance and not finishing, then the Islanders score on their first real opportunity in a while.

Then they have that PP where they just keep getting Klefbom shots from the point with no one in front, it ends and Ladd scores.

Either of those things go different, we might be talking about a completely different result. I'm a little worried about Talbot's fatigue level. The Oilers really have to run him out as much as possible down the stretch here, and I think he's looked a little weaker as of late - possibly because he's played 59 games of 66 games. Ideally, he's only playing around 60-65 max in a full season, and I am going to guess he finishes the season between 72-74.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688282 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Garbage game. Drai is playing in slow motion lately. New girlfriend or something?

At least the leafs are out of the playoffs again moon

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688283 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Well that was awesome..

When will this team finally start to smell blood when they come up against beatable opponents?

Still lots of work to do for this squad.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688284 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I mean, this is the latest in the season I've given a crap about hockey in 10 years. Just would be nice if we actually showed up and competed in every game. Can't take any of them off.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688286 is a reply to message #688284 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scotiaoiler  is currently offline scotiaoiler

No Cups

Playoffs are no guarantee with this team and neither is finishing ahead of Calgary. Can't believe we are only 2 points up on them. This Oilers team is not as good as its record.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688287 is a reply to message #688286 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

scotiaoiler wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 21:37

Playoffs are no guarantee with this team and neither is finishing ahead of Calgary. Can't believe we are only 2 points up on them. This Oilers team is not as good as its record.

Let's keep things in perspective here. To not make the playoffs would be nearly impossible. The Oilers would have to lose at three quarters of the remaining games.

It could happen I guess - we've seen some pretty awful stretches of hockey here before, but it's really, really unlikely. Especially with McDavid playing the way he has been.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688297 is a reply to message #688287 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 20:41

Let's keep things in perspective here. To not make the playoffs would be nearly impossible. The Oilers would have to lose at three quarters of the remaining games.

It could happen I guess - we've seen some pretty awful stretches of hockey here before, but it's really, really unlikely. Especially with McDavid playing the way he has been.

After all we've been through, I can't believe you said that.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688288 is a reply to message #688286 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Nothing is ever guaranteed.

I'd be completely unsurprised if we finished behind Calgary. They're the hottest team in the league over the past month, and they're playing very good hockey.

The playoffs, I'm more confident in, but again, this is the Oilers we're talking about.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688296 is a reply to message #688288 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 21:45

Nothing is ever guaranteed.

I'd be completely unsurprised if we finished behind Calgary. They're the hottest team in the league over the past month, and they're playing very good hockey.

The playoffs, I'm more confident in, but again, this is the Oilers we're talking about.

I'll make the guarantee. Oilers are in the playoffs. . CrusaderPi guarantee.

Friendly reminder: McDavid will be taking 8.725 million more in cap space next season. The time to win is now.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688289 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I didn't think this game was nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be...we had our chances and didn't put it past Greiss. I don't think the effort was poor.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688290 is a reply to message #688289 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 21:45

I didn't think this game was nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be...we had our chances and didn't put it past Greiss. I don't think the effort was poor.

I agree the effort was not that poor but that is the problem. Our shot choices and lack of shots when available says a lot about how far the team has to go. Frustrating!

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688291 is a reply to message #688290 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

cosmicheretic wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 23:00

I agree the effort was not that poor but that is the problem. Our shot choices and lack of shots when available says a lot about how far the team has to go. Frustrating!

Perspective, we've gone from a basement team to actually being in playoff contention over a single year. I know a lot of people who didn't even think playoffs were in the picture at the beginning of this season.

We're doing better than I'd expected at the beginning of the year. There's still a long way to go, and no one should be surprised by that.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688300 is a reply to message #688289 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

holy hell yes. I don't have social media, I haven't gone on teenage melodrama family friendly garbage forum HF in over a year and ON I've forgotten about completely. OilFans still the one somewhat reasonable place for discussion but overreactions like these I'm reading make me think twice.

This is a parity league now. Nothing is ever guaranteed. They've beaten both good and bad teams and are still right about where they should be, if not even better. I mean for Christ's sake the Oilers have been hot garbage for a decade, and are currently in the midst of a hard playoff race.

The Oilers were the better team tonight bar none, put in a solid effort but didn't get any bounces and had absolutely no finish. Isles counter attacked and rope-a-doped all night beautifully... they were starving for this one and had so many extra motivations and reasons why they would come out with the victory; Greise dominating Oilers, Weight returning as head coach, coming off a loss in Calgary, Ho Sang looking like he's ready to break out... you could've seen this L coming from a mile away.

Weakest links tonight were Maroon (doesn't look like he should be on that top line anymore), LD (was sluggish and made bad plays almost all night, bad game from him) and some of the depth players... Took a lot of extra luck and sub par performances from key players for NY to get a 4-1 W, which in every single way should've still been a 4-1 W for Edmonton from the way they played.

Slepyshev should be in the line up, Khaira out, and Pouliot should get in as well to play with Desharnais on the third line.

Bottom line is there are still going to be off nights for this team, even down the stretch when everything is crucial, but that's just the way it is across the NHL now. And spare me the Calgary talk, it's getting very old already. They are making their run right now and playing out of their minds, it's unsustainable and I still like our team over their's should they meet in the playoffs. ITS ALL IN GOOD FUN.

Can't wait to listen to Lowetide tomorrow afternoon and hear him bring up the Hall trade yet again and talk about the lack of scoring and how this team isn't ready to take the next step.

And the fans at the game are utterly embarrassing. It's like a funeral procession in there. The home team is in a playoff spot in March, and you can hear conversations coming through on TV and people slurping their drinks down... WAKE UP AND GET LOUD IN THERE FFS. Atmosphere is waaay too conservative in there, unacceptable!

[Updated on: Wed, 08 March 2017 01:02]

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688324 is a reply to message #688300 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

philly boy wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 00:56

holy hell yes. I don't have social media, I haven't gone on teenage melodrama family friendly garbage forum HF in over a year and ON I've forgotten about completely. OilFans still the one somewhat reasonable place for discussion but overreactions like these I'm reading make me think twice.

This is a parity league now. Nothing is ever guaranteed. They've beaten both good and bad teams and are still right about where they should be, if not even better. I mean for Christ's sake the Oilers have been hot garbage for a decade, and are currently in the midst of a hard playoff race.

The Oilers were the better team tonight bar none, put in a solid effort but didn't get any bounces and had absolutely no finish. Isles counter attacked and rope-a-doped all night beautifully... they were starving for this one and had so many extra motivations and reasons why they would come out with the victory; Greise dominating Oilers, Weight returning as head coach, coming off a loss in Calgary, Ho Sang looking like he's ready to break out... you could've seen this L coming from a mile away.

Weakest links tonight were Maroon (doesn't look like he should be on that top line anymore), LD (was sluggish and made bad plays almost all night, bad game from him) and some of the depth players... Took a lot of extra luck and sub par performances from key players for NY to get a 4-1 W, which in every single way should've still been a 4-1 W for Edmonton from the way they played.

Slepyshev should be in the line up, Khaira out, and Pouliot should get in as well to play with Desharnais on the third line.

Bottom line is there are still going to be off nights for this team, even down the stretch when everything is crucial, but that's just the way it is across the NHL now. And spare me the Calgary talk, it's getting very old already. They are making their run right now and playing out of their minds, it's unsustainable and I still like our team over their's should they meet in the playoffs. ITS ALL IN GOOD FUN.

Can't wait to listen to Lowetide tomorrow afternoon and hear him bring up the Hall trade yet again and talk about the lack of scoring and how this team isn't ready to take the next step.

And the fans at the game are utterly embarrassing. It's like a funeral procession in there. The home team is in a playoff spot in March, and you can hear conversations coming through on TV and people slurping their drinks down... WAKE UP AND GET LOUD IN THERE FFS. Atmosphere is waaay too conservative in there, unacceptable!

Totally agree on shaking up the 3rd & 4th lines a bit, and on the assessment of Drai and Maroon. Not a lot of hockey played lately, but those two look gassed to a degree. It's concerning in a young player like Draisatl, to be honest. Happened last year as well. 2nd line is playing quite well but aren't getting rewarded.

I think the crowd will start feeding on good performances down the stretch. Last night didn't provide a lot to cheer about. Kind of a chicken/egg thing. Does the team have to get the crowd into it or is the crowd supposed to get the team into it?

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688292 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Hmm... I actually didn't think they were awful. I thought for large period of the game, they were the better team, and probably should have won. But they didn't bury their chances, some of them point blank.

For that reason, it was frustrating. They had so many chances to put the game away, and then they didn't and the Islanders would go and put up a goal.

McDavid was unreal I thought tonight. By far the best player on the ice, skated miles, created everything.

I guess if they're going to lose a game, best not to be to a California team, and guess it might as well hurt the Leafs in the process.

Not an easy next few games, but hopefully they can find that scoring touch. They need to be good on home ice this month. Pacific is a little closer than I had hoped. Anaheim, Calgary, and Edmonton are going to be in a dogfight for the 2/3/WC spot; I think the Kings are pretty far long shots at this point (sorry Iggy, should have held out for Edmonton or Calgary), and I think San Jose is out of reach.

Finally, Doug Weight is awesome. He'd be a great guy to play for, and I like seeing him do well. Always a pleasure when he's back in Edmonton. Retire that jersey. icon_wink

[Updated on: Wed, 08 March 2017 00:04]

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688298 is a reply to message #688292 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 22:14

Hmm... I actually didn't think they were awful. I thought for large period of the game, they were the better team, and probably should have won. But they didn't bury their chances, some of them point blank.

For that reason, it was frustrating. They had so many chances to put the game away, and then they didn't and the Islanders would go and put up a goal.

McDavid was unreal I thought tonight. By far the best player on the ice, skated miles, created everything.

I guess if they're going to lose a game, best not to be to a California team, and guess it might as well hurt the Leafs in the process.

Not an easy next few games, but hopefully they can find that scoring touch. They need to be good on home ice this month. Pacific is a little closer than I had hoped. Anaheim, Calgary, and Edmonton are going to be in a dogfight for the 2/3/WC spot; I think the Kings are pretty far long shots at this point (sorry Iggy, should have held out for Edmonton or Calgary), and I think San Jose is out of reach.

Finally, Doug Weight is awesome. He'd be a great guy to play for, and I like seeing him do well. Always a pleasure when he's back in Edmonton. Retire that jersey. icon_wink

Every night. Some guys on his own team seem to be stopping to watch him like the rest of us, forgetting they are being paid to make a contribution towards winning hockey games.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688308 is a reply to message #688292 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilInMtl  is currently offline OilInMtl

No Cups

I also didn't think it was a terrible game (although extremely frustrating). I found their defensive breakdowns were extremely bad, their finish was terrible and their special teams need a massive improvement. Overall they carried the play most of the game, though. I really think it would have been a much different game had they got one in the first 10 minutes where they were dominating, and it really could have been 2 or 3 -0 in that time.

It just seems like great teams find a way to get one past a hot goalie when they are dominating - the Oilers aren't great yet.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688293 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Two comments on the Oilers PP:

1) I'm not sure why they don't flip Lucic and Maroon and keep it more consistent with the regular lines. I'm not sure Lucic adds much that Maroon doesn't.

2) I hate it whenever Lucic handles the puck on the PP. The defense is quick to recognize, close in, and Lucic almost always turns the puck over.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688304 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hubbs  is currently offline Hubbs

No Cups

I thought the Oilers were the better team tonight, just came down to Islanders outplaying us physically and capitalizing on their chances, which were far fewer than the Oilers. This happens to my team frequently in our beer league. Same same, no?

Misc thoughts:

I can't wait for McDavid to figure out that when you're in the slot with an open shot it's likely a higher percentage scoring opportunity than passing the puck to Drai who's hanging out below the goal line in the corner of the ice.

If Lucic is anywhere but in front of the net on the power play he is a risk to the Oilers. He doesn't handle the puck well when pressured.

I can't begin to explain how angry I am that Calgary is playing so well and the Oilers don't seem challenged by that at all. I unfortunately called it 4 games ago that within the next 6 games Calgary will overtake us because we don't seem to realize we're in a playoff race. I'm not sure the Oilers at this point are able to elevate their game another level when needed. Maybe next year.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688305 is a reply to message #688304 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

What a disappointing game. While I wouldn't classify this game as a stinker, it was just not good enough. They needed to win this game and they should have won this game. They just pissed 2 points away. I thought 3/4 of the team had not bad games but what I would call quiet games.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 March 2017 08:17]

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688310 is a reply to message #688304 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

The fact that as a team,they can't seem to elevate their game when it counts is what concerns me, Calgary gets it and is hitting on all cylinders at the right time. When Talbot stands on his head they win but if he doesn't....the rest of the team can't seem to make up for it with offence when called for. They are improving but the urgency and killer instinct I just don't see in many games, I think they are lucky to be where they are in the standings ( quite a few loser points ) but am still hopeful they can pull off a playoff appearance. McDavid needs to get a little more selfish at times and shoot the puck! That amazing talent and speed creates so much in the way of chances.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688311 is a reply to message #688310 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

First period and a half were good, then the team flipped a switch and played bad.
When they did play good in the first half of the game they gave up like 3-5 2 on 1 chances to the NYI.

I hope they don't just keep losing and go into the playoffs and get swept.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688327 is a reply to message #688310 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 08:39

The fact that as a team,they can't seem to elevate their game when it counts is what concerns me, Calgary gets it and is hitting on all cylinders at the right time. When Talbot stands on his head they win but if he doesn't....the rest of the team can't seem to make up for it with offence when called for. They are improving but the urgency and killer instinct I just don't see in many games, I think they are lucky to be where they are in the standings ( quite a few loser points ) but am still hopeful they can pull off a playoff appearance. McDavid needs to get a little more selfish at times and shoot the puck! That amazing talent and speed creates so much in the way of chances.

I'm not that concerned with having a bit of a slide. The Oilers were probably due for some adversity at some point. I don't know that this is "not being able to elevate" - certainly, they were absolutely dominant against the Red Wings, and the first line was all over the Islanders for the bulk of their TOI last night.

Nerves may be a bit of a factor - the team is standing on the brink of the playoffs, and for many of these players, it's unfamiliar ground - but I think generally there's been some positives. The second line has been contributing well the last while, the depth guys have been decent most nights (although the Letestu/Hendricks line had a really rough night last night, and I kind of feel like we have two decent fourth lines, but no real third line).

As for Calgary, A) it may just be riding a hot hand and B) the Oilers really just have to focus on their own results. They can't be worried about what other teams are doing.

With McDavid, I'm kind of with McLellan - sometimes you wish he'd shoot more, but the guy is leading the league in scoring...it's hard to critique his game too much. He created a half dozen golden opportunities last night. I do think he's going to swing to shooting more at some point, much like Crosby did after his first couple years in the league.

It's worth noting that he's tied for 23rd in the league in shots on goal (tied with Crosby, actually), so he's not exactly NEVER shooting.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688330 is a reply to message #688327 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy is currently online WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 11:27

As for Calgary, A) it may just be riding a hot hand and B) the Oilers really just have to focus on their own results. They can't be worried about what other teams are doing.

This has been me for the past 2 days. Getting over that the Oilers will probably finish behind Calgary.

I've sat and watched the Flames for the past 10-12 games and really they haven't looked like world beaters. The eeked out OT wins here, great bounces there and it reminded me of what they did 2 seasons ago. I live in Calgary and I've been pulling out my hair listening to all of the chirps but in reality I don't see the Flames going far at all.

So now I'm in the "The Oilers just have to improve themselves" mindset heading towards the end of the season. I'm not worrying what will happen if they meet or even if Calgary finishes ahead of the Oilers. At the end of the day I want the best Oilers going into their first round matchup. Even if they start on the road, just get in and play better hockey.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688335 is a reply to message #688327 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 11:27

overdue wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 08:39

I'm not that concerned with having a bit of a slide. The Oilers were probably due for some adversity at some point. I don't know that this is "not being able to elevate" - certainly, they were absolutely dominant against the Red Wings, and the first line was all over the Islanders for the bulk of their TOI last night.

Nerves may be a bit of a factor - the team is standing on the brink of the playoffs, and for many of these players, it's unfamiliar ground - but I think generally there's been some positives. The second line has been contributing well the last while, the depth guys have been decent most nights (although the Letestu/Hendricks line had a really rough night last night, and I kind of feel like we have two decent fourth lines, but no real third line).

With McDavid, I'm kind of with McLellan - sometimes you wish he'd shoot more, but the guy is leading the league in scoring...it's hard to critique his game too much. He created a half dozen golden opportunities last night. I do think he's going to swing to shooting more at some point, much like Crosby did after his first couple years in the league.

It's worth noting that he's tied for 23rd in the league in shots on goal (tied with Crosby, actually), so he's not exactly NEVER shooting.

Part of the problem, I think, is that we have 10 years of awfulness to draw from. So as soon as the Oilers miss a game (which happens to the best teams!), it's doom and gloom and we all start panicking that they're reverting to their previous terrible form.

In reality, teams lose games. Sometimes, they lose games that they should have won, and while there are absolutely some areas that the Oilers need to work hard on, they're allowed the occasional stinker. It's not ideal, certainly, but it's what happens and we (including myself, perhaps more than most!) need to understand that said lapses aren't indicative of a team that's about to start circling the drain.

The Oilers are a good team. They're not a great team, nor are they a very good team. But they've had games this year that show what they're capable of - hell, the Washington game still ranks as one of the very best hockey games I've seen between -any- two teams, and despite the loss it was a game the Oilers were in for every minute.

Calgary could (and, honestly, probably will) finish ahead of us. But they're riding a .960 SV% from Elliott through this streak. They're a good team, but not a great team, nor even a very good team, and the Oilers just need to worry about keeping the wheels on their own bus.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688312 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Poor effort, terrible effort man.

This team will not get to the next level when they allow beatable teams to whip into Rogers and allow the opposition play their game.

How many missed shots? In the 2nd I counted like 13 bobbles with the puck, should I blame the ice? It's crazy the amount of missed pucks, the Oilers had their chances but they coasted to far from the puck to get a decent shot, or it was a fan on the puck, or something else.. the team fought with the puck the entire time.

Phew, what a bad game.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688313 is a reply to message #688312 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I feel guilty for saying anything remotely negative towards McDavid but he needs to learn that you have to shoot sometimes. I know he is or soon to be the best player in the world, I know he can put passes into places most can't, I know his first instinct is to pass but teams know that and are keying off it. When McDavid gets the puck and starts up the ice, the defense has to immediately back off towards the goal so they don't get burnt. So once McDavid hits the zone, he usually has the top half of the ice all to himself as the defenders willingly give it up. We see time and time again that McDavid can walk into the high slot with no one around. He needs to shoot more. By shooting more, it will open the pass. If McDavid shoots more, all of a sudden the defenders don't know what to do. If they take away the shot, the pass will open, if they take the pass, McDavid is standing in the high slot wide open. It's not like McDavid has an Eberle muffin. He has a good shot. So use it.

McDavid did an interview at the second intermission. It was 2-1 Isles. McDavid said they needed those 2 points badly and needed to go get them. He played 24 mins last night and had 2 shots. He's young so I know it will come. But he needed to lead by example. Your team is sluggish, all the pretty goals aren't happening including on his line. Simplify your game. You have 2 big boys on the wing. Tell them to go to the net because he's firing. With those 2 big boys blocking the sun, stuff will happen. Even in the Detroit game. He McDavid was with Drai, the Wings gave him the entire middle. McDavid was allowed to walk in down the middle of the ice, he had the puck inside the hash marks and he PASSES to Drai at the side of the net. Drai gets the puck with little to shoot at, Mrazek makes the save. Thankfully Drai followed it up, thankfully the rebound went the right way for Drai to get it. He was able to circle around the net, got it out front to Maroon and they scored. But if you think about it, they were lucky.

He needs to shoot more, he needs to become a threat to shoot including the PP. If you look at Crosby, as great of a passer Crosby is, he also shoots and scores a lot. So he is a double threat. IN the playoffs when the hockey is WAY tighter, those pretty 4 pass goals don't happen much. Most of the time its simple goals. Guy has the puck, traffic in front, shot is taken, there is a tip, a rebound, hits a body or it goes in because the goalie can't see it. But in general, the play is pushed to the outside. If the team because of McDavid's speed is willingly giving you the middle, take the damn shot.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688315 is a reply to message #688313 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 09:26

I feel guilty for saying anything remotely negative towards McDavid but he needs to learn that you have to shoot sometimes. I know he is or soon to be the best player in the world, I know he can put passes into places most can't, I know his first instinct is to pass but teams know that and are keying off it. When McDavid gets the puck and starts up the ice, the defense has to immediately back off towards the goal so they don't get burnt. So once McDavid hits the zone, he usually has the top half of the ice all to himself as the defenders willingly give it up. We see time and time again that McDavid can walk into the high slot with no one around. He needs to shoot more. By shooting more, it will open the pass. If McDavid shoots more, all of a sudden the defenders don't know what to do. If they take away the shot, the pass will open, if they take the pass, McDavid is standing in the high slot wide open. It's not like McDavid has an Eberle muffin. He has a good shot. So use it.

McDavid did an interview at the second intermission. It was 2-1 Isles. McDavid said they needed those 2 points badly and needed to go get them. He played 24 mins last night and had 2 shots. He's young so I know it will come. But he needed to lead by example. Your team is sluggish, all the pretty goals aren't happening including on his line. Simplify your game. You have 2 big boys on the wing. Tell them to go to the net because he's firing. With those 2 big boys blocking the sun, stuff will happen. Even in the Detroit game. He McDavid was with Drai, the Wings gave him the entire middle. McDavid was allowed to walk in down the middle of the ice, he had the puck inside the hash marks and he PASSES to Drai at the side of the net. Drai gets the puck with little to shoot at, Mrazek makes the save. Thankfully Drai followed it up, thankfully the rebound went the right way for Drai to get it. He was able to circle around the net, got it out front to Maroon and they scored. But if you think about it, they were lucky.

He needs to shoot more, he needs to become a threat to shoot including the PP. If you look at Crosby, as great of a passer Crosby is, he also shoots and scores a lot. So he is a double threat. IN the playoffs when the hockey is WAY tighter, those pretty 4 pass goals don't happen much. Most of the time its simple goals. Guy has the puck, traffic in front, shot is taken, there is a tip, a rebound, hits a body or it goes in because the goalie can't see it. But in general, the play is pushed to the outside. If the team because of McDavid's speed is willingly giving you the middle, take the damn shot.

Hopefully he does start to catch on in games like last night when his wingers are working with their hands encased in concrete. I think he'll get it over time, but I think a lot of his play these days is still limit testing, seeing the kinds of things he can still get away with while being smothered and refs not caring about what anyone does to him. I think he's actually been doing a great job of breaking through more, but the the pass first mentality is still very strong.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688317 is a reply to message #688315 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 09:53

Hopefully he does start to catch on in games like last night when his wingers are working with their hands encased in concrete. I think he'll get it over time, but I think a lot of his play these days is still limit testing, seeing the kinds of things he can still get away with while being smothered and refs not caring about what anyone does to him. I think he's actually been doing a great job of breaking through more, but the the pass first mentality is still very strong.

The one Maroon chance where McDavid thread the pass through, Maroon got a piece but it just went wide is a great example. Fantastic vision and amazing pass just to get that through to Maroon by McDavid but the defender was all over Maroon. That was a low percentage chance to score. Maroon was able to get a stick on it only because he is so big, so strong and has good hands but there was almost no way he was going to get as much wood as he needed to score because the defender was almost laying on his back. McDavid made that pass in the top of the slot. If McDavid shoots from there he probably scores. If he doesn't, the worst case scenario is Greiss has to spit out a rebound with Maroon going to the net. Maybe the rebound goes off the defender or off Maroon because they are right there. If it doesn't and is in the crease area, the defender will have to react. The defender having to react to the puck which will automatically free up Maroon a bit to go after the rebound. At 6'3, 230lbs with good hands, I will take that match up any day over the majority of dmen in the league. If the defender decides to ignore the puck and tie up Maroon, McDavid and his speed could easily swoop in chip that puck in. Regardless, a simple shot creates way more chances to score in that prime opportunity than the seeing eye pass.

In the playoffs when the hockey is tighter and refs put the whistle away and let "them play", that defender will be all over Maroon and his stick even worse than last night. So that back door tap in won't be there.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688319 is a reply to message #688317 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 10:21

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 09:53

The one Maroon chance where McDavid thread the pass through, Maroon got a piece but it just went wide is a great example. Fantastic vision and amazing pass just to get that through to Maroon by McDavid but the defender was all over Maroon. That was a low percentage chance to score. Maroon was able to get a stick on it only because he is so big, so strong and has good hands but there was almost no way he was going to get as much wood as he needed to score because the defender was almost laying on his back. McDavid made that pass in the top of the slot. If McDavid shoots from there he probably scores. If he doesn't, the worst case scenario is Greiss has to spit out a rebound with Maroon going to the net. Maybe the rebound goes off the defender or off Maroon because they are right there. If it doesn't and is in the crease area, the defender will have to react. The defender having to react to the puck which will automatically free up Maroon a bit to go after the rebound. At 6'3, 230lbs with good hands, I will take that match up any day over the majority of dmen in the league. If the defender decides to ignore the puck and tie up Maroon, McDavid and his speed could easily swoop in chip that puck in. Regardless, a simple shot creates way more chances to score in that prime opportunity than the seeing eye pass.

In the playoffs when the hockey is tighter and refs put the whistle away and let "them play", that defender will be all over Maroon and his stick even worse than last night. So that back door tap in won't be there.

Yeah, the longer this goes where he is looking pass 90% of the time, the more teams are going to just start grabbing onto his wingers on every opportunity. Especially in the playoffs. Sounds like coaches are pretty hands off, so just gotta wait until McDavid gets to that point where he want to mix it up more. He'll get there, but we're all hoping it's soon.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688320 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oilers need to bring playoff urgency to these games and left it in the dressing room for this one. Some old hallmarks of Oilers hockey cropped up to help cost the game:

> Klef not boxing out/handling front of net on the 1st Lee goal
> That old chestnut, the Oilers loss of coverage on the Ladd goal
> Oilers had some really good chances, but still pass up on apparent shooting opportunities.....when you're down 2 and time is wasting, get the damn puck to the net. At some point the perimeter game and the cycle game has to funnel pucks on net and to the front of the net.

I think effort was there, and the game was there for the Oilers, but there's a difference between effort and urgency. These guys have to start ramping up the level of urgency in these games down the stretch or they're going to disappear in a sweep come playoff time. Time to start selling out.

Pittsburgh will smoke the Oilers Friday night if they don't bring a big game.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688325 is a reply to message #688320 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hombre  is currently offline hombre

No Cups

The good news. Although I thought it impossible I saw another gear from #97 last night. No points but WOW! Given that revelation - we will be okay.

Petr Klima rules

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688331 is a reply to message #688278 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jonathan Willis‏ @JonathanWillis
#Oilers PK%, along with where the team would rank over the full year:
- Before Jan. 1: 82.6% (11th)
- Since: Jan. 1: 73.5% (30th)

I am really starting to get a feeling of deep dread when we take a penalty these days. Our PK has been just awful. It's been damn near in automatic GA territory this last while.

If only we had someone good on the PK and faceoffs in the org...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/photos/anton-lander-2013-41.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 08 March 2017 12:16]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688332 is a reply to message #688331 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 12:14

I am really starting to get a feeling of deep dread when we take a penalty these days. Our PK has been just awful. It's been damn near in automatic GA territory this last while.

If only Lander could skate just a little bit better than he does. He'd be a regular bottom 6 NHLer. Regardless, given how the PK has struggled and I think faceoffs have played a big part, I would still call him up. I would actually drop Caggulia down to the minors. Give him some time to play center to learn the craft but also to get more offensive confidence. It has done wonders for JP.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688333 is a reply to message #688332 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 12:24

If only Lander could skate just a little bit better than he does. He'd be a regular bottom 6 NHLer. Regardless, given how the PK has struggled and I think faceoffs have played a big part, I would still call him up. I would actually drop Caggulia down to the minors. Give him some time to play center to learn the craft but also to get more offensive confidence. It has done wonders for JP.

I don't see skating being that big an issue. We watched Jujhar and Hendricks drag their butts around all last night and not be useful in other other way. At least Lander can do the PK. Lander skates well enough to be a 4th liner and special teams guy.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #688334 is a reply to message #688333 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 12:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 12:24

I don't see skating being that big an issue. We watched Jujhar and Hendricks drag their butts around all last night and not be useful in other other way. At least Lander can do the PK.

Well that is supposedly the knock on Lander at the NHL level. He's not a good enough skater to keep up. Khaira dragging his butt is on him. He's actually a pretty good skater and there is no excuse for that. I do agree with you about Hendricks. He's definitely getting long in the tooth. I like the things he brings though. I think he brings more energy, more compete and more physical play than Lander.

Maybe the answer is the Oilers need to create a true 4th line. Meaning guys like Hendricks and Lander play heavy PK mins but limit their 5-5 time. You could have a Lander/Hendricks as the center, Lander/Hendrick on left wing and dress a guy like Pakarinen/Slep on the right and play them in a less than 10 mins and heavy PK time. Then you could load up the 3rd line. Have a Desharnais - Letestus - Kassian line. A bit small but has some size, physical play and jam in Kassian, Letestu has shown based on his PP work, he has the ability to one time the puck and finish a bit and with Desharnais passing ability, could be a nice 3rd line with a little scoring. Plus you would have 2 centers on the line and you could have them take draws on their strong side.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 March 2017 12:40]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha
Next Topic:Name the 666 Line!
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca