This day on December 17
None

Happy Birthday To: pupper, amandeepman88, killerabbie, nev'z87, Oilerifik, idekoning

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688151]
Sat, 04 March 2017 22:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Detroit to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688154 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Sat, 04 March 2017 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

The team made it harder for themselves than they needed to, but a win is a win.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688155 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Sat, 04 March 2017 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Good win. So annoying when it's that damn hard to score, but it seems every single decent chance the other team gets ends up in your net, but a couple of those chances were due to horrid plays.

Good start for the DD centered 3rd line, hope there will be more of that. 1st line wingers need to get sharper. Lots of lazy plays in the offensive zone, and more in the defensive zone, wasting McDavid's energy with long shifts of being pinned in our zone.

Lucic and Ebs seem to be able to create things together. Keep 666 going.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688156 is a reply to message #688155 ]
Sat, 04 March 2017 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 04 March 2017 23:43

Good win. So annoying when it's that damn hard to score, but it seems every single decent chance the other team gets ends up in your net, but a couple of those chances were due to horrid plays.

Good start for the DD centered 3rd line, hope there will be more of that. 1st line wingers need to get sharper. Lots of lazy plays in the offensive zone, and more in the defensive zone, wasting McDavid's energy with long shifts of being pinned in our zone.

Lucic and Ebs seem to be able to create things together. Keep 666 going.

To the Lucic and Ebs point. I think the fact that they both have decent hands but aren't fleet of foot works for them. Eberle's goal was a good example of that. When Eberle got the puck across the Oilers blue line McDavid would have been gone but in that case Lucic and him just muddle their way down the right side tapping the puck back and forth.
That line had a few chances that way, not driving down the Wings throat but just controlling the puck down the ice until they got a decent shot.

Games left that I have to see Kris Russell in an Oilers jersey=398

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688157 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Sat, 04 March 2017 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

4/4 points so far. Need to take it to the Isles on Tuesday.

Frustrating game because it seemed it Wings scored when they pressured, but could only sustain it in a few spurts. The better team won - and they never seem to make it easy when playing a team on the second of back to backs.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688160 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Sun, 05 March 2017 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

1 Cup

Let me be the one to point out that the Oilers have now mathematically clinched "not finishing dead last in the league". I don't think they managed that earlier than April in the last ten years.

Off topic, but the Avs must be really horrible this year (although I've only seen the one game they played against the Oilers early). They have 37 points in 63 games. They're 15 points behind the 29th place Yotes, and 23 behind the 28th place Canes. If they went 0.500 the rest of the way (highly unlikely), they would very likely still finish 30th. They likely won't even get 50 points--that's expansion team bad. In their 10 years of terrible the worst the Oilers got was 62 points (done three times mind you).

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688168 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Sun, 05 March 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

Good to get the win, but the Oilers should have had 7-8 goals in this one and need to cut out the silly giveaways as that is the only time Detroit sustained any pressure. Not the best night by the Cam-Bot but we won and he's dragged us out of the other end of the barrel enough times.

The Drake looked much better on the wing, was dangerous and in scoring positions all night, he could have had a hatty with a little luck. This gave a balance looked across the line up, McD had a great game, the 2nd line looked solid and dangerous, the 3rd looked decent all night DD looked very composed with the puck, Drake looked much better on the wing and Kassian looked like a good compliment to them. The 4th was exactly what a 4th should be, banging crashing and pinning the opposition in their own end almost every shift.

The game shouldn't have been this close but we got the win and we looked like we would get it for 80% of the night.

A little sharpening up for the Isles and we'll be good.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688169 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Sun, 05 March 2017 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Half a decade + left to get to see the chemistry grow between these guys:

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/287396616/960x540/cut.JPG

http://i66.tinypic.com/29bgg40.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 05 March 2017 11:02]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688170 is a reply to message #688169 ]
Sun, 05 March 2017 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Not a bad pair at all and on terrific contracts to boot.

I had my doubts about Klefbom coming back from that injury. I thought an injury requiring a special skate in the future is really going to affect your game. I'll take 4th in goals for NHL defenseman!

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688173 is a reply to message #688170 ]
Sun, 05 March 2017 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I majorly had doubts. And this is his first, full healthy season. Performing at this level in crunch time. So young on that kind of contract and he still has room to grow, what's not to love. I was definitely wrong about this guy.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 March 2017 16:48]

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688171 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Sun, 05 March 2017 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Frustrating bullcrap aside, that was a good game from them. As someone else said, should've scored 5 or 6, and given up 1 less... Maroon scored but he's really struggling to keep up and looks gassed IMO. While on the flip side Looch really appears as though he's coming to life down the stretch. He may not be a great skater, yes, but he's hauling ass out there and his hands have gotten better. He's going to be a boon for this team. If he can play like this for a few more year down stretch runs and into the playoffs, the contract will be worth it.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688183 is a reply to message #688171 ]
Mon, 06 March 2017 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I was at the game. The Oilers dominated for the huge majority of it. If not for Mrazek the Oilers easily have a couple more as he mad several spectacular saves. It's only o one game but I thought Desharnais looked really good. If his linemates had any finish, he would have had a couple more points. Caggulia alone had at least 2 times where he was set up perfectly in the slot and he flat out missed the net.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688184 is a reply to message #688183 ]
Mon, 06 March 2017 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 March 2017 08:27

Caggulia alone had at least 2 times where he was set up perfectly in the slot and he flat out missed the net.

Unfortunately, that seems to be a recurring theme for him the past month or so. He's really gotta start burying some of those. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was the one to see the press box once Pouliot is healthy.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688185 is a reply to message #688151 ]
Mon, 06 March 2017 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

They should have won, and they did.

If I could be critical for a minute, the Oilers very nearly let this one slip away. If not for defensive breakdowns and kind of chasing bees in the defensive zone, the Oilers should of had a shut out but due to some major flaws in play this was not meant to be.

Is Rogers Place Ice still bad? Looks like it.

Yay... yay! A Win, but yeah..

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688190 is a reply to message #688185 ]
Mon, 06 March 2017 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 06 March 2017 09:38

If I could be critical for a minute, the Oilers very nearly let this one slip away. If not for defensive breakdowns and kind of chasing bees in the defensive zone, the Oilers should of had a shut out but due to some major flaws in play this was not meant to be.

To the bolded...The most exciting thing for me about the Oilers this year is that they didn't let the game slip away. They won it. No way that happens in the past.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688191 is a reply to message #688185 ]
Mon, 06 March 2017 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 06 March 2017 08:38

Will crappy Rogers ice cost McDavid the Art Ross? Think McDavid still has more points on the road than in slushville.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65) [message #688195 is a reply to message #688191 ]
Mon, 06 March 2017 09:51 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 March 2017 09:20

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 06 March 2017 08:38

Will crappy Rogers ice cost McDavid the Art Ross? Think McDavid still has more points on the road than in slushville.

I thought he could have had 5 or 6 points the other night. Draisaitl passed up a couple of golden opportunities to shoot, and the Oilers missed a few nets on almost sure goals if the shots had been on target.

Frustrating to have Detroit stay in a game, but it was a pretty dominant effort by the Oilers, and even at 4-3, I don't think the Oilers allowed another shot after the Wings drew within one, including forcing two icings. It's certainly not the Red Wings of yesteryear, but it was still nice to see the Oilers control a game from start to finish - close score notwithstanding.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Previous Topic:Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #66)
Next Topic:GDT: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #65)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca