This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler!
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685352]
Mon, 16 January 2017 23:30 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I know that 100% of Oilfans members will be VERY pleased by this news. I can't imagine a single one who would not be.

Ryan Smyth is back in the Oilers organization!!

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers /dan-barnes-ryan-smyth-once-again-an-oiler-always-an-oiler

Quote:

Anyone who saw Ryan Smyth bleed at some point during his National Hockey League career was likely surprised by the colour.

Because it really should have been blue and orange.

Though he made a tearful, trade-deadline exit to the New York Islanders, followed by free-agent stops in Colorado and Los Angeles, he was mostly and remains today an Oiler through and through.

It makes perfect sense then that he should be hired once again by the team that drafted him sixth overall in June 1994, signed him shortly thereafter, developed him over several years and employed him through 971 regular-season games and another 68 in the playoffs. Only current Oilers Entertainment Group vice-chair Kevin Lowe, with 1,209 regular-season and playoff games on the blue-line, played more for Edmonton than did No. 94.

Smyth, now 40 and retired for two years, has taken a very part-time position as a conditioning coach with the Oilers. There was no official announcement from the team, and the job will be better defined if and when he commits more time to it, but he has quietly been doing some on-ice work with injured players while the rest of the squad has been on road trips this season.

It’s a toe in the water at this point.

“Smytty bleeds Oilers, there’s no question about that,” said Bob Nicholson, chair of Oilers Entertainment Group, who was instrumental in Smyth joining the team. “But his priority right now is his family.

“We’ve taken the first step. He’s going to work with our injured players and we’ll see what that evolves into. He was a top player for the Oilers and a top player in the game and there’s lots he can pass on. It’s just when and how.”

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685353 is a reply to message #685352 ]
Mon, 16 January 2017 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Love it!!

Wave Towel weights icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685355 is a reply to message #685352 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

So much heart. Can't wait for the heart to be injected into the team when he replaces McLellan! Put on your sunglasses. The future is bright, boys!

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685356 is a reply to message #685355 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

At least he's starting at the bottom of the organization. I'm ok with this.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685357 is a reply to message #685356 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

The phrase "very part time" suggests that this is just an hour here or there. I can't see what harm it could do.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685360 is a reply to message #685357 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 07:34

The phrase "very part time" suggests that this is just an hour here or there. I can't see what harm it could do.

Yes, at least he's not Vice-Chair and Conditioning Coach.

Matheson must be beside himself with joy. All that stumping finally paid off.

Although you do get the sense that Smyth doesn't know what he wants to do. A very part time job because family comes first...so basically he's occasionally coming out for a skate. I'm sure there's better conditioning people to have out, but who knows, maybe this is pro bono work, so it's worthwhile.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685361 is a reply to message #685360 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

I think a role that would suit Smyth perfectly is one similar to what Struds did for a bit. Spend time with the new players, show their families around the city, that type of thing. Oil Country ambassador making new players feel at home kinda thing.

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685362 is a reply to message #685361 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Smyth was never the most talented player on the ice but the one thing that Smyth was able to do was squeeze out every last ounce of ability he had in him and translate that to success on the ice. There have been many players way more talented than Smyth who didn't have anywhere close to the career he did. Plus he worked his ass off at his game right until the end. If he could somehow rub some of that desire to succeed off on a few young guys, he's worth every penny.

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685394 is a reply to message #685360 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Good for Ryan

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685364 is a reply to message #685352 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Started at the bottom now we here...

It's great he's back!

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685366 is a reply to message #685352 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

If the ex-Oilers are kept far away from anything involving actual decisions, we should be okay.

Let them announce at ceremonies, skate with injured players, and make videos with Hunter.

Don't let them plan events, discuss trades, negotiate contracts, evaluate players, make business decisions, or do anything that has any implications for the on-ice or off-ice product.

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685367 is a reply to message #685366 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 09:30

If the ex-Oilers are kept far away from anything involving actual decisions, we should be okay.

Let them announce at ceremonies, skate with injured players, and make videos with Hunter.

Don't let them plan events, discuss trades, negotiate contracts, evaluate players, make business decisions, or do anything that has any implications for the on-ice or off-ice product.

Also, no press conferences.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685368 is a reply to message #685367 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 10:23

Aww come on. Who could forget these?

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685371 is a reply to message #685367 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 09:23

Well said, and you know what? Good on Smytty for not making this all about him. He had his time, did his thing. I have no problems with this.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685369 is a reply to message #685352 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Was he well conditioned? Like in terms of fitness he didn't seem like the best of the bunch.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685376 is a reply to message #685369 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

And now the guy who made Smytty an almost 40 goal guy, Mr. Doug Weight, is the Islanders head coach!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685377 is a reply to message #685369 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 11:40

Was he well conditioned? Like in terms of fitness he didn't seem like the best of the bunch.

Not the best conditioned, but Horcoff already got a job with the Red Wings, and they treated Ethan Moreau like crap on his way out...

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685396 is a reply to message #685369 ]
Tue, 17 January 2017 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 12:40

I spent some time training with him many years ago when both of us were much younger and he was in pretty good shape. I dont have a lot to compare it to but I have been on the ice and in the gym with some pro athletes and I would put him in the top third.

As far as his role, he spent a large part of his career banged up so he should have some experience rehabbing and coming back from injuries!

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #685537 is a reply to message #685396 ]
Thu, 19 January 2017 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

I think they should just sign him for the push.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #729030 is a reply to message #685537 ]
Fri, 25 January 2019 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

...guess that conditioning coach thing didn't work out for the Oilers and Ryan Smyth...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ryan-smyth-edmonton- home-for-sale-1.4993555

"Listed with ReMax at $7.75 million, the "absolutely breathtaking" home boasts seven bedrooms, eight bathrooms and a professionally designed "memorabilia room."

Listing photos show an unfurnished house, suggesting Smyth and his family have already moved out.

There are reports the native of Banff, Alta., has moved to the Nashville area in Tennessee."

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #729032 is a reply to message #729030 ]
Fri, 25 January 2019 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 25 January 2019 17:17

...guess that conditioning coach thing didn't work out for the Oilers and Ryan Smyth...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ryan-smyth-edmonton- home-for-sale-1.4993555

"Listed with ReMax at $7.75 million, the "absolutely breathtaking" home boasts seven bedrooms, eight bathrooms and a professionally designed "memorabilia room."

Listing photos show an unfurnished house, suggesting Smyth and his family have already moved out.

There are reports the native of Banff, Alta., has moved to the Nashville area in Tennessee."

I thought we heard reports that that conditioning thing wasn't really working out last year, as Smyth didn't want to do any travel. I guess that also rules him out as the new GM, eh?

Re: Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler! [message #729185 is a reply to message #729030 ]
Wed, 30 January 2019 10:56 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 25 January 2019 17:17

Ugh.

Worst thing to happen to the Oilers since Smyth was traded.

Prepare yourselves for another decade+ of darkness. Team has lost it's heart all over again. If Adam is right that Smyth's disconnect started last year, then it's no surprise how things have gone since the playoff run.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Previous Topic:Gambardella Recalled
Next Topic:Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca