F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Roy Resigns Avs
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Roy Resigns Avs [message #675998]
Thu, 11 August 2016 12:22 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Out of no where, Roy resigns from the Avs organization. I wonder if the Barrie signing was the last draw because I believed he wasn't a fan of Barrie and went so far as to call him a 3rd pairing Dman. Talk about giving your former team very little time to find a replacement.

http://www.tsn.ca/roy-resigns-from-avalanche-organization-1. 544058

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #675999 is a reply to message #675998 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Wow, Ive never known Patrick Roy to be a quitter icon_rolleyes

This isn't good for the Oilers. The Avs may improve as a result.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676002 is a reply to message #675999 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 12:39

May?!?!?

That's like saying the Oilers would have improved if Lowe would have resigned after only 3 years of ineffective service. Thankfully they're not in the Smythe, I mean Pacific, division and we still have Benning, Linden, and the Canucks with us.

This is fine.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676003 is a reply to message #676002 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You're right. It's only a question of how much they will improve.

Sakic's contribution (or lack thereof?) is still in question though. Watch him hire Mike Keenan.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676004 is a reply to message #675999 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Will they? Unless they have a head coach in the waiting, it's going to take weeks to go through the interview process. They might be lucky to have a guy in place by the first part of September. No team is going to give you permission to interview any assistants a month out of the start of camp because if you hire one of their assistants, the team won't have time to replace them. So who ever you hire are retreads who are probably out of work for a reason.

Once you hire a guy in the first weeks of Sept, you have a fresh guy who doesn't have a clue about the players. Once he gets the job he immediately has to get going with training camp so he probably has no time to even read team scouting reports on guys. He might have time to call the captain but that's about it. So he will be meeting his entire roster and physically talking to them for the first time in camp. Most of the time when a coach is hired early in the off season, they call up all the main players, talk to them about their role, etc. If any of them actually live in the teams City, you will meet them. Most likely meet a few of the main guys during the summer. So you aren't slapping name tags on your entire team because you have no clue. He won't have that. So he will have to jump right in, meet all the team, figure out all the players and at the same time coming up with a system. That doesn't even include the fact that he won't have the chance to hire any assistants so he will have to use the previous assistants good or bad. So he will be coming up with a game plan and relaying his game plan to assistants he won't know very well and probably never have worked with before.

I might be wrong but I think their training camp will be a train wreck and it will probably take them the first half of the season to get their feet under them if they do at all. We have all seen how a slow start can put you out of the playoffs by November. It wouldn't shock me if they just promote one of their assistants as an temporary coach. If I am the Avs, I am absolutely livid as this screws them.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676007 is a reply to message #676004 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 12:16

Will they? Unless they have a head coach in the waiting, it's going to take weeks to go through the interview process. They might be lucky to have a guy in place by the first part of September. No team is going to give you permission to interview any assistants a month out of the start of camp because if you hire one of their assistants, the team won't have time to replace them. So who ever you hire are retreads who are probably out of work for a reason.

Once you hire a guy in the first weeks of Sept, you have a fresh guy who doesn't have a clue about the players. Once he gets the job he immediately has to get going with training camp so he probably has no time to even read team scouting reports on guys. He might have time to call the captain but that's about it. So he will be meeting his entire roster and physically talking to them for the first time in camp. Most of the time when a coach is hired early in the off season, they call up all the main players, talk to them about their role, etc. If any of them actually live in the teams City, you will meet them. Most likely meet a few of the main guys during the summer. So you aren't slapping name tags on your entire team because you have no clue. He won't have that. So he will have to jump right in, meet all the team, figure out all the players and at the same time coming up with a system. That doesn't even include the fact that he won't have the chance to hire any assistants so he will have to use the previous assistants good or bad. So he will be coming up with a game plan and relaying his game plan to assistants he won't know very well and probably never have worked with before.

I might be wrong but I think their training camp will be a train wreck and it will probably take them the first half of the season to get their feet under them if they do at all. We have all seen how a slow start can put you out of the playoffs by November. It wouldn't shock me if they just promote one of their assistants as an temporary coach. If I am the Avs, I am absolutely livid as this screws them.

Maybe, but Dallas Eakins had an entire summer and look how that turned out.

The right coach can get them back on track.

- Calvin

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676009 is a reply to message #676007 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 13:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 12:16

Maybe, but Dallas Eakins had an entire summer and look how that turned out.

The right coach can get them back on track.

Probably not next year, but given time. Although Joe Sakic is still GM, so that's still working in the Oilers' favor.

This is fine.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676005 is a reply to message #675999 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Yup, this sucks for us. It's always nice to have a team in the conference that seems to intentionally want you take as many shots as you can on their goalie.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676000 is a reply to message #675998 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wow. Fascinating turn of events.

Unfortunately, that probably bodes well for the Avs - they'll hire someone better than Roy, and they have a good young core.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676013 is a reply to message #675998 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

Marc Crawford recently took an associate coach job didn't he? Otherwise I would assume he was the front runner. stupid

Roy is definitely a strong type A personality, classic alpha male who won't play nice if he doesn't get everything his way. Too bad they couldn't have kept him around for another few years.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676019 is a reply to message #676013 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

I think Bob Hartley is free right now if they are going the route of hiring their former coach who won the cup there. Anaheim did that this summer so it's not unprecedented even this year. Who are the other experienced coaches available?

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676020 is a reply to message #676019 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 17:11

I think Bob Hartley is free right now if they are going the route of hiring their former coach who won the cup there. Anaheim did that this summer so it's not unprecedented even this year. Who are the other experienced coaches available?

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dallas-eakins-toronto-marlies.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676023 is a reply to message #676020 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 19:30

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dallas-eakins-toronto-marlies.jpg

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/oilers/images/upload/2013/09/buchberger_100x250.jpg

Just kidding. Buchy is an Oiler for life. I'm sure he will turn down the offer to be the Avs HC. As always he will be honoured to be the first choice a team has, like so many times before. No doubt MacT turns down the GM job too.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676028 is a reply to message #676023 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Ha, I was thinking that if MacTavish is a n experienced candidate if he wants to go back to coaching. He might consider that a step back from his current position though. Maybe he can't handle another demotion.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676030 is a reply to message #676028 ]
Thu, 11 August 2016 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 22:27

Ha, I was thinking that if MacTavish is a n experienced candidate if he wants to go back to coaching. He might consider that a step back from his current position though. Maybe he can't handle another demotion.

Lol. It's telling that the only other hockey position MacTavish has held was his one year stint as the coach of an AHL team.

This is fine.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676034 is a reply to message #676023 ]
Fri, 12 August 2016 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 20:18

Just kidding. Buchy is an Oiler for life. I'm sure he will turn down the offer to be the Avs HC. As always he will be honoured to be the first choice a team has, like so many times before. No doubt MacT turns down the GM job too.

Well, there's another option in Edmonton...friend of Sakic, former Avalanche player, wants a role in the game, doesn't want to pay his dues in the minor leagues:

http://cdn.nhl.com/avalanche/images/upload/2009/01/Smyth535askav.jpg

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676064 is a reply to message #676034 ]
Fri, 12 August 2016 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 August 2016 09:18

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2016 20:18

Well, there's another option in Edmonton...friend of Sakic, former Avalanche player, wants a role in the game, doesn't want to pay his dues in the minor leagues:

http://cdn.nhl.com/avalanche/images/upload/2009/01/Smyth535askav.jpg

You really have an unhealthy obsession with trying to knock Ryan Smyth at every available opportunity. Get over it bud, or at least keep it to yourself.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676068 is a reply to message #676064 ]
Fri, 12 August 2016 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

You don't think he'd want the head coaching job then? I think it's been a while since I even mentioned him to be honest...

ETA: the people who are morally outraged at the slightest perceived Smytty sleight always amuse me. I mean, he was a decent player here for a long time, but why would that make him immune to criticism? I grew up idolizing Gretzky, but you won't find me defending his coaching record or his acting career any time soon.

And for the record I did like Ryan Smyth. I think when he left here, he really wanted to become an unrestricted free agent and all power to him if that's what he thought was best for him and his family, but it does impact his legacy here. And when he came back, I don't think he was a good role model for the young players. He wanted his ice time and his powerplay time and he was public about his discontent when he felt he wasn't playing enough and when he was healthy scratched.

I think he was a good Oiler but not a great one and not an overly loyal one. And If Sakic were to hire him as coach I think he'd do a piss poor job, given that he has no experience or qualifications for an NHL head coaching job...the Avs are a rival, so that would be a very good thing.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2016 22:33]

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676070 is a reply to message #676068 ]
Sun, 14 August 2016 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 August 2016 23:03

ETA: the people who are morally outraged at the slightest perceived Smytty sleight always amuse me. I mean, he was a decent player here for a long time, but why would that make him immune to criticism? I grew up idolizing Gretzky, but you won't find me defending his coaching record or his acting career any time soon.

And for the record I did like Ryan Smyth. I think when he left here, he really wanted to become an unrestricted free agent and all power to him if that's what he thought was best for him and his family, but it does impact his legacy here. And when he came back, I don't think he was a good role model for the young players. He wanted his ice time and his powerplay time and he was public about his discontent when he felt he wasn't playing enough and when he was healthy scratched.

Legends while playing but I wouldn't exactly endorse Gretzky or Michael Jordan as good front office ppl in their sports...far from it.

There are many things I appreciated about Smitty during his best playing days. He really gave it everything he had making guys like Comrie, Anson Carter, and Horcoff more effective while inflating their numbers. Hustled on both ends of the ice, didn't peel off contact, and was really good in front of the net despite not having overwhelming strength/size. Ugly style of game but likely more effective in making those around him better despite only possessing a 1/3rd of Taylor Hall's talent. I will also never forget the struggles in 03-04 when Smyth spent most of that season trying to fill the hole at center as well.

I really do question the leadership of Horcoff & Smyth towards the end of their tenures in Edmonton however. It really seemed as if both guys were only watching for their best interests & ice time. For example, how do you get mentored by Adam Oates to improve your faceoff abilities while not bestowing those same lessons upon Cogliano, Gagner, and RNH? All this after that nimrod K-Lowe gets rid of both Stoll & Reasoner in the same offseason. It really seemed as if Smitty didn't teach Hallsy anything about positioning himself in front of the net either.

Re: Roy Resigns Avs [message #676339 is a reply to message #676070 ]
Thu, 25 August 2016 16:40 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

http://www.tsn.ca/avalanche-hire-bednar-as-head-coach-1.5551 41

quote...." The Colorado Avalanche have hired Jared Bednar as their new head coach.

Bednar replaces Patrick Roy, who abruptly stepped down as coach and vice-president of hockey operations earlier this month.

The 44-year-old Bednar won the American Hockey League's Calder Cup championship as coach of the Lake Erie Monsters last season. He also won the ECHL's Kelly Cup in 2009 with the South Carolina Stingrays.

President of hockey operations and general manager Joe Sakic said upon Roy's sudden resignation that he'd look outside the organization for Colorado's next coach. He did just that with Bednar, who had been in the Columbus system."....unquote

good record in the minors....

Previous Topic:Coyotes acquire Bolland and Crouse from Panthers
Next Topic:World Cup Roster - Larsson snubbed again
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca