F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Lupul & the Maple Leafs
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675151]
Wed, 20 July 2016 10:46 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I heard a short snippet on Oilers Now a couple weeks back talking about Lupul. Apparently he's going to be healthy this year, but the Leafs have been trying to convince him that he is still injured. He's got a $5.25MM contract that extends the next two years and with his injury concerns the last couple years, he's going to be very difficult for the team to move.

If they put him in the minors, he's even harder to move, and unlike with Wade Redden and Alex Mogilny, you can no longer just bury a contract in the minors and force a player to ride buses with no cap implications. Lupul in the minors would still count at $4.25MM per season against the Leafs' cap.

Their ideal situation would be for him to stay on LTIR like Stephane Robidas has done, but it doesn't sound like Lupul is going to be compliant there. They've already given away his locker room stall, so it will be really interesting to see how this plays out.

http://tipofthetower.com/2016/06/26/toronto-maple-leafs-rumo rs-joffrey-lupul/

https://editorinleaf.com/2016/07/18/toronto-maple-leafs-mark eting-lupul/

http://theleafsnation.com/2016/7/18/is-joffrey-lupul-done

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675177 is a reply to message #675151 ]
Wed, 20 July 2016 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

The Leafs should just play him and then wait for him to get hurt. Whats the works that could happen.

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675180 is a reply to message #675177 ]
Wed, 20 July 2016 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

That really just isn't how you run an organization. Players ask for trades and get lambasted in the media, yet management try and strong arm a guy who still in relatively young and is healthy, and nobody really cares. I can't imagine the PA loves this tactic, and really, you guys signed him to this deal, honour it! For a young team like the Leafs, what would be so bad about having Lupul around as a mentor. The Oilers are a joke in many ways, but at least they can sign their #1s and they wouldn't do this to a guy who was a warrior for them.

Right now they have 8 guys committed (veteran wise) up front next year (minus Lupul), so you need to fill the spots somehow, and if you're already paying him, what's the issue?! Sure Nylander, Soshnikov, and Matthews will be up, and perhaps Marner, but I'd be fine playing Lupul in a middle 6 role alongside some youth in a middle six role.

JVR - Matthews - Nylander
Komarov - Bozak -Soshnikov
Lupul - Kadri - Marner/Michalek
Martin - Laich - Greening

Good mix of youth and veterans in all honesty.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675189 is a reply to message #675180 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 20 July 2016 18:46

That really just isn't how you run an organization. Players ask for trades and get lambasted in the media, yet management try and strong arm a guy who still in relatively young and is healthy, and nobody really cares. I can't imagine the PA loves this tactic, and really, you guys signed him to this deal, honour it! For a young team like the Leafs, what would be so bad about having Lupul around as a mentor. The Oilers are a joke in many ways, but at least they can sign their #1s and they wouldn't do this to a guy who was a warrior for them.

Right now they have 8 guys committed (veteran wise) up front next year (minus Lupul), so you need to fill the spots somehow, and if you're already paying him, what's the issue?! Sure Nylander, Soshnikov, and Matthews will be up, and perhaps Marner, but I'd be fine playing Lupul in a middle 6 role alongside some youth in a middle six role.

Well, never say never. There may come a point next season where Andrew Ference believes he's healthy, but the Oilers may want his cap space. If that happens, the team could be in exactly this situation, trying to strong-arm him to stay on the sidelines as an injured player, rather than have him come back and take up a roster spot (his full NMC means they can't waive or demote him to the minors) and cap space (he's a $3.25MM cap hit).

It's unlikely the team could trade him to someone else, so the best case scenario for them is if he stays hurt all year and doesn't make any waves. He is a hockey player though, and might just want to play hockey...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675192 is a reply to message #675189 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

I met Joffrey years ago at the Glendale and had every feeling then that he'd be the type of guy he is now. The NHL was a beauty payday for him, and that's all he really wanted from it.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675195 is a reply to message #675192 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 09:27

I met Joffrey years ago at the Glendale and had every feeling then that he'd be the type of guy he is now. The NHL was a beauty payday for him, and that's all he really wanted from it.

My old man ran in to him at the Ryder Cup a few years back and got the same vibe.

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675214 is a reply to message #675195 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

I ran into him in a Hotel that the Oilers were staying in when I was in California one time. I actually rode the elevator with him and Petr Sekora. I certainly go the impression from him at the time that he was only in it for a payday.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675226 is a reply to message #675195 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

PoolParty wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 11:40

My old man ran in to him at the Ryder Cup a few years back and got the same vibe.

Agreed, Lupul's a bum. Completely dogged it during his time here so he could be traded elsewhere.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675227 is a reply to message #675226 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 20:48

Agreed, Lupul's a bum. Completely dogged it during his time here so he could be traded elsewhere.

I tend to believe the issues with Lupul in Edmonton were slightly more complicated than that.

This is fine.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675231 is a reply to message #675227 ]
Fri, 22 July 2016 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 21:24

I tend to believe the issues with Lupul in Edmonton were slightly more complicated than that.

Such as?

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675234 is a reply to message #675231 ]
Fri, 22 July 2016 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2016 01:19

Such as?

Its all hearsay and speculation. I would suggest he had difficult handling the spotlight while playing in his hometown at a young age and may have fallen into a style of living that did not lend itself to hockey.

This is fine.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675237 is a reply to message #675234 ]
Fri, 22 July 2016 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 July 2016 08:20

Such as?

Its all hearsay and speculation. I would suggest he had difficult handling the spotlight while playing in his hometown at a young age and may have fallen into a style of living that did not lend itself to hockey.

I heard similar things. All second hand info, from people who knew him, grew up with him, etc. but basically said he was hanging out with all his high school buddies and partying and trying to be the big shot for them.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675239 is a reply to message #675237 ]
Fri, 22 July 2016 10:22 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 22 July 2016 09:10

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 July 2016 08:20

Such as?

I heard similar things. All second hand info, from people who knew him, grew up with him, etc. but basically said he was hanging out with all his high school buddies and partying and trying to be the big shot for them.

Again, don't want to read too much into "body language", but my lasting memory of Lupul on the Oilers was how miserable he looked every time he was on the ice. I think in some ways, he couldn't get out of here quick enough.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675194 is a reply to message #675189 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 08:15

Well, never say never. There may come a point next season where Andrew Ference believes he's healthy, but the Oilers may want his cap space. If that happens, the team could be in exactly this situation, trying to strong-arm him to stay on the sidelines as an injured player, rather than have him come back and take up a roster spot (his full NMC means they can't waive or demote him to the minors) and cap space (he's a $3.25MM cap hit).

It's unlikely the team could trade him to someone else, so the best case scenario for them is if he stays hurt all year and doesn't make any waves. He is a hockey player though, and might just want to play hockey...

Everything I've read and heard Ference say, he's ready to move on from hockey. I'd be surprised if this becomes an issue.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/inside-extension/andrew-fer ence?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campai gn=fall17

He's got his certificate from Harvard and already has a few business ventures on the go in Edmonton.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675196 is a reply to message #675194 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 11:31

Everything I've read and heard Ference say, he's ready to move on from hockey. I'd be surprised if this becomes an issue.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/inside-extension/andrew-fer ence?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campai gn=fall17

He's got his certificate from Harvard and already has a few business ventures on the go in Edmonton.

I'd be surprised too, but you never know for certain and I think my "never say never" point is true here. I think the Oilers would be really resistant to a return of their former captain.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675199 is a reply to message #675194 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Not to sound like a pretentious twat, but just to be clear: Harvard ES is not the same as actually being accepted to and attending the real Harvard.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675203 is a reply to message #675199 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 12:42

Not to sound like a pretentious twat, but just to be clear: Harvard ES is not the same as actually being accepted to and attending the real Harvard.

Next you're going to tel us MacTavish's eMBA is exactly the same as a MBA.

This is fine.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675208 is a reply to message #675203 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 13:08

JPro wrote on Thu, 21 July 2016 12:42

Next you're going to tel us MacTavish's eMBA is exactly the same as a MBA.

I know a few people who have completed an MBA via distance learning. Even though they don't physically go to class everyday, it's not exactly a trivial thing. It still takes a lot of work and commitment.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675191 is a reply to message #675180 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

The reason why you don't want Lupul on your team, mentoring your kids...

I can't easily recall a more disappointing player, more injury prone than this guy.

That's the only reason a team should need to keep him on LTIR.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675198 is a reply to message #675191 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

If you look at Ference's twitter account, he has zero reference to anything hockey related. He is still technically an active NHL player so it's pretty bizarre he has nothing. Even retired players will reference something so I am guessing he's more than happy to have hockey in the rear view. I'm sure all he cares about is getting his money from the last year of his deal.

Re: Lupul & the Maple Leafs [message #675215 is a reply to message #675151 ]
Thu, 21 July 2016 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If you're going to "only be in it for the payday", I have to say, being an NHL player is a pretty good choice.

I'm only at my job for the payday, and I can assure you, it doesn't pay as well.

Previous Topic:J. Benn signs extension with Dallas, 8 for $76M
Next Topic:Brassard for Zibanejad
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca