F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Target DefencemenPages (8): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Target Defencemen [message #670234]
Tue, 05 April 2016 11:20 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So it's pretty much universally acknowledged that the Oilers will need to add at least one top-end defenceman this summer if the team is to be successful moving forward. The most common argument is that this will take a trade for one of our three $6MM men at forward - Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Jordan Eberle.

So who is likely to be available and what are teams going to want for them?

1) Travis Hamonic - New York Islanders
Age - 25
2015-16 - 72GP, 5-16-21, 35PIM -5
Career - 395GP, 23-109-132, 392PIM
Cap Hit $3.857MM
Free Agency Status - UFA in 2020
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $54MM committed (7F, 7D, 2G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Have said they're looking for replacement for Hamonic on the back end. That said, they need forwards with not many signed and Okposo, Neilsen and Martin all UFA.
Comments - Maybe the most likely deal, given all the noise around this, but with Snow looking for another d-man, there's a good chance that this deal evaporates at some point. If we do acquire Hamonic, he's a good player, but not a powerplay quarterback.

2) Sami Vatanen - Anaheim Ducks
Age - 24
2015-16 - 70GP, 9-28-37, 20 PIM, +8
Career - 193 GP, 29-68-97, 78 PIM
Cap Hit - $1.263MM
Free Agency Status - RFA in 2016
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $53MM (8F, 6D, 1G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Cap space. The Ducks have locked up most of their star players and need to sign Hampus Lindholm, Rikard Rackell and Brandon Pirri yet.
Comments - The only reason Vatanen might be available is because they still need to fill out a third of their roster and that may force a decision between Lindholm and Vatanen. If they were going to pay someone else $6MM, they'd just keep Vatanen and pay him - they may yet be able to do that anyhow.

3) Jacob Trouba - Winnipeg Jets
Age - 22
2015-16 - 78GP 6-14-20, 62PIM, +7
Career - 208GP, 23-48-71, 151PIM
Cap Hit - $894,166
Free Agency Status - RFA 2016
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $51MM (11F, 6D, 1G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Either another defenceman to replace Trouba or a replacement for Andrew Ladd.
Comments - Winnipeg is a team on a budget. They will have about $20MM to sign 4 players and it's unlikely they'll use all of it. Mark Scheifele has to be signed this summer, and he's likely to get the biggest payday. Like the Ducks, if they're trading Trouba, it's because they want to save the money he's owed. A home-grown guy like Hamonic, with his low cap hit until 2020 might be the perfect fit for them - moreso than a $6MM forward.

4) Tyson Barrie - Colorado Avalanche
Age - 24
2015-16 - 75GP, 13-35-48, 27PIM, -17
Career - 261GP, 40-112-152, 83PIM
Cap Hit - $2.6MM
Free Agency Status - RFA (2016)
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $52MM (8F, 6D, 1G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Another powerplay defenceman. Beauchemin and Johnson are decent producers, but Barrie is probably going to crack 50 points for the second season in a row. There's not a lot of guys who can do that. The Avs have plenty of high end forwards and need to sign one of them (MacKinnon) this summer.
Comments - Given that the Avs have a pretty similar look up front, I imagine that if they're spending that kind of money on a player, they're just locking up Barrie again. If they can't afford to sign Barrie, then they can't afford another $6MM forward either, and it probably makes their team worse.

5) Michael Stone - Arizona Coyotes
Age - 25
2015-16 - 75GP, 6-30-36, 62PIM, -10
Career - 279GP, 23-64-87, 178PIM
Cap Hit - $1.15MM
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $33MM (7F, 3D, 1G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Hard to say. The team works on a budget, they were $10MM under the cap this year. They're going to need forwards, since they have 5 UFAs among their top 12 this summer, but they don't have anyone making more than the $5.5MM Ekman-Larsson makes. Not a lot of depth on the back-end, so they may need to replace there if they make a move.
Comments - Looking at that team, it's hard to imagine any situation where they move Ekman-Larsson. There is just nothing there to replace him. Stone is more likely to be able to be plucked away, but he comes with some risks. He hasn't had a season like the one he's had this year before, so you need to be pretty sure that he's for real if you're making the deal. And you'll have to convince them that adding a high-end forward at $6MM is worth blowing a hole in their fragile defence.

5) Kevin Shattenkirk - St. Louis Blues
Age - 27
2015-16 - 70GP, 14-29-43, 51PIM, -13
Career - 408GP, 55-186-241, 257PIM
Cap Hit - $4.25MM
Free Agency Status - UFA (2017)
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $57MM (7F, 7D, 2G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Cap Space. They need to sign 9 players with ~$13-14MM to spend. They'll also need forwards. Backes is almost certainly leaving, and Brouwer, Brodziak and Upshall are all UFAs too.
Comments - The Blues probably need one top six forward if Backes leaves, but can they afford someone at the $6MM price point? Also, why is Shattenkirk by far the worst Blue by +/-? Finally, are we confident we can get him back under contract beyond next year? It's a big price to pay if you only get one year of Shattenkirk.

7) Brent Burns - San Jose Sharks
Age - 31
2015-16 - 79GP, 27-47-74, 53PIM, -5
Career - 794GP, 141-281-422, 531PIM
Cap Hit - $5.76MM
Free Agency Status - UFA (2017)
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $60MM (9F, 5D, 1G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Depth forwards, cap space.
Comments - Hard to imagine the Sharks would deal Burns now. He's coming off an epic season. Even harder to imagine they'd trade him for a top end forward. They're pretty stacked in their top couple lines, with everyone signed for another year and no-trade clauses galore restricting their ability to make any moves with their forwards. I can't see them taking on a fifth $6MM+ forward. I think this is an absolute pipe dream.

8) Shea Weber - Nashville Predators
Age - 30
2015-16 - 76GP, 19-30-49, 27PIM, -7
Career - 761GP, 165-276-441, 568PIM
Cap Hit - $7.856MM
Free Agency Status - UFA (2026)
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $59MM (11F, 6D, 1G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Replacement defenceman, contract relief on Weber's big deal.
Comments - Every year we talk about a deal for Weber, so why not do it again? I actually think it's more possible now, although they probably want a pretty high end young defenceman in addition to the top end forward - think Klefbom or Nurse. Weber is now the second best defenceman on the Predators, and he's got that ugly contract which runs for another decade. That could make him available at some point, but are you trading a lot for a diminishing asset who's going to be an albatross in a few years? You're hoping for some short term gains for some intense long-term pain, so you better be pretty damn confident that you're going to have a great team in the next couple of years. Also, he's going to cost you $20MM in real money each of the next two years. That's painful.

9) Torey Krug - Boston Bruins
Age - 24
2015-16 - 78GP, 3-38-41, 38PIM, +11
Career - 238GP, 29-93-122, 79PIM
Cap Hit $3.4MM
2016-17 Team Cap Situation - $49MM (9F, 3D, 1G)
Probable Needs in Trade - Replacement for Loui Erikson, defencemen to replace him.
Comments - Chiarelli would be very familiar with the player, but would the Bruins move him? He's become the top scoring defender on the team, and Chara and Seidenberg are getting pretty long in the tooth. They dealt Hamilton last summer, which means they don't really have any other potential successor unless they think one of the Millers is going to be the guy. The Bruins have lots of cap room and not that many impact players to re-sign, so I think they just sign and keep Krug.

Conclusion - I think there's a few guys on this list who will get moved this summer. Vatanen, Trouba, Hamonic are all likely to be traded. I think the Oilers have a shot at Vatanen, but for a combination of picks, prospects and/or value contracts. We also could land Hamonic, unless the Jets put Trouba in play for him.

Most of the rest of these guys shouldn't move, although Tyson Barrie is appealing to me because I could see Sakic and Roy doing things on a MacTavish/Lowe level of competency. Again, I don't see that deal happening for a $6MM forward, but rather for something like Klefbom and a pick/prospect.

Klefbom is maybe the biggest lure we have to dangle for a powerplay quarterback, which doesn't help patch all the holes, but it does provide a potential upgrade (and eliminates the question mark that is Klefbom's health). The only teams on this list that I see considering taking on a big salary forward would be Boston, St. Louis, and Nashville. At this point, I'd be somewhat nervous about a Weber deal, just given that it's SUCH a long, long contract and it's almost guaranteed to look pretty ugly at the end.

Curious if anyone has any other targets that aren't on this list.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2016 11:29]

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670236 is a reply to message #670234 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

I'm curious what happens this summer with Victor Hedman. I know he's not a RH defenseman - and we do need those - but he's in the top handful of guys I would choose if I had to build around someone on the blueline.

It Stamkos leaves, will Hedman want to stay in Tampa, or does he join the exodus out of there?

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670238 is a reply to message #670236 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 11:28

I'm curious what happens this summer with Victor Hedman. I know he's not a RH defenseman - and we do need those - but he's in the top handful of guys I would choose if I had to build around someone on the blueline.

It Stamkos leaves, will Hedman want to stay in Tampa, or does he join the exodus out of there?

Hopefully he's getting fed up with Cooper and Yzerman too and demands a trade to Edmonton. Anyone have any blackmail evidence we can use to sway him?

No no-trade protection, as far as I can tell, so he is moveable. He'd be worth parting with, but if the Lightning lose Stamkos and are trading Hedman, are they officially rebuilding? Would it more likely be picks/prospects you're giving up for him? That would be my guess. If he goes, there's not much left to rebuild that team around in the short-term and they're on their way back down to the lottery again. (I don't believe that you're building a team around Kucherov, Johnson and Palat).

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670237 is a reply to message #670234 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

As for your list, I think the two most likely targets for the Oilers are Hamonic and Shattenkirk, with Vatanen maybe being a lower third.

The Trouba / Hamonic trade makes sense, but if the Islanders look like they are about to lose Okposo, perhaps they become more receptive to the idea of a forward coming back. The Oilers would be wise to try and make any Hamonic deal early, perhaps at the draft, before things start to go south in Trouba negotiations.

Colorado seems to be botching a lot of negotiations lately (Stastny, O'Reilly), so I could see Barrie being moved, but I'm not sure I see a potential deal between the Oilers and Avalanche.

I think the pieces that could be moved include Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Klefbom, Nurse, Yakupov, draft picks. All those guys have different value and you'd move some before others depend on the return, but they are the pieces I think that might be able to pry something from other teams.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670243 is a reply to message #670234 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 11:20

I think it's a pretty good list. Hamonic and Trouba don't solve the QB problem, Krug plays for Boston and, you're right, SJ is not going to trade Burns. I think those four are out off the top.

Weber - declining asset for sure but is he in enough decline for Nashville to trade him? I don't think so.

Stone is too much of an unknown - we have the assets for less of a gamble.

Barrie - even if he is available I don't think we have what Colorado needs. Can't see him being available in any case.

That leaves Vatanen and Shattenkirk. Vatanen is of course more desirable but he would cost more too. Shattenkirk I think is the most likely. One contract year is a very tradable thing, especially for a team like St Louis that probably won't re-sign him. The question is, what grab bag of middling assets would land him? Yakupov, Oesterle and our second-round pick? I have no idea.

Shattenkirk has the added fun quality of being American. I feel like it's an unspoken thing that Americans always want to get back to America eventually.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670246 is a reply to message #670243 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 12:45

I think it's a pretty good list. Hamonic and Trouba don't solve the QB problem, Krug plays for Boston and, you're right, SJ is not going to trade Burns. I think those four are out off the top.

Weber - declining asset for sure but is he in enough decline for Nashville to trade him? I don't think so.

Barrie - even if he is available I don't think we have what Colorado needs. Can't see him being available in any case.

That leaves Vatanen and Shattenkirk. Vatanen is of course more desirable but he would cost more too. Shattenkirk I think is the most likely. One contract year is a very tradable thing, especially for a team like St Louis that probably won't re-sign him. The question is, what grab bag of middling assets would land him? Yakupov, Oesterle and our second-round pick? I have no idea.

Shattenkirk has the added fun quality of being American. I feel like it's an unspoken thing that Americans always want to get back to America eventually.

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part but my gut is telling me the Oilers will pick up Hamonic and Vatanen.

Hamonic: Chiarelli has apparently been working on Hamonic since the last offseason. I didn't for a second see the Isles unloading Hamonic during this season. The Islanders can say all they want that a equal Dman is coming back. It's not going to happen. As previously mentioned, the Islanders are going to need forwards. The East isn't as heavy of a conference. I think Okposo is all but gone from the Islanders. I can see Eberle sliding into the right side along side Taveres and have a lot of success.

Vatanen. There have been multiple reports from multiple media guys that the Oilers were working on a deal with the Ducks that involved Yak and Pouliot for Maroon and Vatanen. These names were specifically mentioned. It fell apart as soon as Pouliot hurt his shoulder. Perhaps the deal was supposed to be Maroon, Vatanen for Yak, Pouliot, Edm 4th rounder and Gernat. As soon as Pouliot got hurt, it was Maroon for the 4th and Gernat. The Ducks have some critical guys to sign. It would be pretty tough to sign all of Lindholm, Vatanen, Rakell, Pirri all of whom are UFA's. Plus they have to resign or replace Horcoff, Perron, Stewart, Santorelli, McGinn, all of them play for the Ducks. So perhaps the Yak & Pouliot for Vatanen is still on the table at the end of the year. The Ducks could move their attention to Lindhold, Rakell & Pirri, then use Pouliot and Yak to replace a few of their UFA's. Plus every time someone talks about the Ducks and their defense, they immediately mention Shea Theodore who's in minors and they want to make a spot for him and the Ducks will not move him.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2016 13:52]

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670322 is a reply to message #670243 ]
Wed, 06 April 2016 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 12:45

Stauffer was saying on his show last week that he has it on good authority that Shattenkirk will play out his contract and he's looking to sign on the East Coast. Possibly Boston. Take it for what it's worth but I sure wouldn't be spending much for assets on him for only 1 season.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670404 is a reply to message #670322 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Wed, 06 April 2016 11:47

Take it for what it's worth but I sure wouldn't be spending much for assets on him for only 1 season.

My point exactly. Which makes it a very Oilers thing to do, no? Think Erik Cole.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670249 is a reply to message #670234 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

The only thing that helps us in the Hamonic acquisition is that Winni might not want the contract back from Hamonic, which will be similar ball park as Trouba, unless Trouba is asking for $4.5 to 5 M, which in that case, NYI probably won't want coming back in return. Hamonic is a very good defenseman, but not an all-star, I wouldn't sell the farm to get him. I think Chiarelli knows his value, and what he's worth, we'll see what kind of deal he can muster, or not.

No way on Shattenkirk, you sell good assets for one year of his services, then he's UFA, and Gonzo.

Weber is going nowhere, he's the face of the franchise.

Vatanen, probably doable, Ducks have a D surplus, and some forward needs.

Barrie.. Who knows? As was said.. Roy and Sakic have not been able to keep a lot of talent, O'Reilly couldn't wait to get out, and they don't seem to want be a max. cap team, so maybe they'll let him go for cheaper assets.

Stone is interesting, bomb of a shot, rugged D-man.

Burns isn't going anywhere next season, but I'd keep a keg of powder dry for next year though.

Krug, puny, NO thanks.

The only other guys to maybe consider are Demers or Yandle as UFA's, lose no assets, just cap.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670264 is a reply to message #670249 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

As much as I am sure Hamonic's #1 choice is Winnipeg, I don't see why the Jets would try hard to go get him. They already have 3 really, really good right shot Dmen. Big Buf, Myers, Trouba. So they don't need the guy. If the Isles want to basically give the Jets Hamonic, then of course you take him but if I am the Jets, I am not offering them much.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670268 is a reply to message #670264 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 15:54

As much as I am sure Hamonic's #1 choice is Winnipeg, I don't see why the Jets would try hard to go get him. They already have 3 really, really good right shot Dmen. Big Buf, Myers, Trouba. So they don't need the guy. If the Isles want to basically give the Jets Hamonic, then of course you take him but if I am the Jets, I am not offering them much.

They'll do the deal for Trouba because they can get a similar quality player for cheaper than Trouba is going to cost this summer. The Islanders will take the more expensive equivalent because they are having their hand forced by Hamonic. They may ask for some sweetener in the deal.

It's by no means certain, it's just me doing the deal on a napkin, although having talked to people in Winnipeg, they say that the team is going to make a decision on Myers vs. Trouba and most people expect them to keep Myers.

The only reason Trouba will go is because of his RFA status and the fact he'll be looking for a big raise.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670270 is a reply to message #670268 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I also like Ceci in Ottawa. Big 6'3" 210Lb, Right-handed Dman with a bomb of a shot. Plays like a #4 dman right now with more upside. He isn't the veteran top 2 guy we need on the back end, but would be a #4 guy we could use once we find a #2 guy.

Ottawa is searching hard for a top 6 forward and either Nuge or Eberle would fit the bill. They would have to add something in like Zach Smith (great 3rd line center IMO) to get the deal close, but I bet there is a deal to be had there.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670272 is a reply to message #670270 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 16:07

I also like Ceci in Ottawa. Big 6'3" 210Lb, Right-handed Dman with a bomb of a shot. Plays like a #4 dman right now with more upside. He isn't the veteran top 2 guy we need on the back end, but would be a #4 guy we could use once we find a #2 guy.

Ottawa is searching hard for a top 6 forward and either Nuge or Eberle would fit the bill. They would have to add something in like Zach Smith (great 3rd line center IMO) to get the deal close, but I bet there is a deal to be had there.

And Murray, like Sakic, is a GM ripe for the picking. Old school guy who's never quite got it and regularly loses trades. Likely to commit character assassination on his players just before letting them go for peanuts too.

I like it.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670273 is a reply to message #670272 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 16:11

And Murray, like Sakic, is a GM ripe for the picking. Old school guy who's never quite got it and regularly loses trades. Likely to commit character assassination on his players just before letting them go for peanuts too.

I like it.

Murray has enquired about Eberle numerous times and loves him. I bet we can get Smith and Ceci for Eberl Straight up. That would fill our #3 center role with a big strong 28 year old at good $$$ & give us another strapping young Dman in Ceci that is big, shoot right & wouldn't be too expensive (he is a RFA this summer so Ottawa is going to have to bridge contract him at around $3.5 million I would guess). The money would be pretty close as Smith is almost $2 million & Ceci would be atleast $3 million once singed.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670275 is a reply to message #670273 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 16:25

I like it.

Murray has enquired about Eberle numerous times and loves him. I bet we can get Smith and Ceci for Eberl Straight up. That would fill our #3 center role with a big strong 28 year old at good $$$ & give us another strapping young Dman in Ceci that is big, shoot right & wouldn't be too expensive (he is a RFA this summer so Ottawa is going to have to bridge contract him at around $3.5 million I would guess). The money would be pretty close as Smith is almost $2 million & Ceci would be atleast $3 million once singed.

I wonder if that old codger would notice if we substituted Yakupov for Eberle in that deal? Maybe gave him back the impending UFA rights to Gryba?

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670276 is a reply to message #670275 ]
Tue, 05 April 2016 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 16:27

Jakey wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 16:25

I like it.

I wonder if that old codger would notice if we substituted Yakupov for Eberle in that deal? Maybe gave him back the impending UFA rights to Gryba?

I doubt even he is that dumb lol. Add in Musil/Osterle & one of our 3rd picks with Yak and he might bite?

Yak, Musil or Osterli & a 3rd for Ceci & Smith? Nah he loves Eberle!!!

Eberle for Ceci & Smith, too bad it won't happen lol

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670301 is a reply to message #670268 ]
Wed, 06 April 2016 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 April 2016 16:02

They'll do the deal for Trouba because they can get a similar quality player for cheaper than Trouba is going to cost this summer. The Islanders will take the more expensive equivalent because they are having their hand forced by Hamonic. They may ask for some sweetener in the deal.

It's by no means certain, it's just me doing the deal on a napkin, although having talked to people in Winnipeg, they say that the team is going to make a decision on Myers vs. Trouba and most people expect them to keep Myers.

The only reason Trouba will go is because of his RFA status and the fact he'll be looking for a big raise.

If I an the Jets, I would be using one of their right shot Dmen to get a forward. They could use some scoring forward help, especially since they traded away Ladd. Like I said, they already have Big Buf who's a right shot, they have Myers who's a right shot, they have Trouba who's a right shot. Every one of those guys is a top 4 guy. They have to sign Trouba. I'm going to guess that he gets in the range of the Klefbomb deal. That seems to be the going rate for guys just like him. Klefbomb, Brodin, Brodie, all have similar deals. So you are right, if you trade Trouba for Hamonic, the Jets are saving a tiny bit of money. But he still makes almost 4 mill. So that means you have:
Buf at a 5.2 cap.
Myers at a 5.5 cap.
Trouba or Hamonic at a almost 4 cap hit.

Then you have Enstrom who's a 5.75 cap hit. So you have over 20 mill tied up in 5 Dmen. That almost means you have a minimum of a 4 mill Dman playing 3rd pairing mins on the right side. That's way too much money.

The only way I see it making any sense is if the Islanders are going to die on the hill to get a "equal" dman back, you trade the Islanders one of Trouba or Myers for Hamonic, then flip a right shot to a team like the Oilers for a forward. If the ask is Trouba, you swap Trouba for Hamonic, then you sway Myers to the Oilers for a forward. At worst the Jets get an equivalent right shot Dman to replace Myers, who's got a cheaper cap hit and is a local kid. Personally I think Hamonic might be slightly better than Myers but regardless, you have a fantastic top 4 with Buf, Myers/Hamonic, Enstrom and I think Stuart is the 4th.

For the Oilers, I would prefer Hamonic because of the cap hit and because he's maybe slightly better than Myers but if my scenario panned out and the Oilers got Myers for say Eberle, I would be happy with that. Myers is a huge, good skating, puck moving, big shot, right handed, top 3 dman who's just entering his prime. He can play big mins, he can be on your PP, play in all situations. He's signed up for several more years, his cap hit of 5.5 mill really isn't bad and he's better than every single dman the Oilers currently have and he's better than most of the Oilers Defense by a lot.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670310 is a reply to message #670301 ]
Wed, 06 April 2016 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 06 April 2016 09:36

If I an the Jets, I would be using one of their right shot Dmen to get a forward. They could use some scoring forward help, especially since they traded away Ladd. Like I said, they already have Big Buf who's a right shot, they have Myers who's a right shot, they have Trouba who's a right shot. Every one of those guys is a top 4 guy. They have to sign Trouba. I'm going to guess that he gets in the range of the Klefbomb deal. That seems to be the going rate for guys just like him. Klefbomb, Brodin, Brodie, all have similar deals. So you are right, if you trade Trouba for Hamonic, the Jets are saving a tiny bit of money. But he still makes almost 4 mill. So that means you have:
Buf at a 5.2 cap.
Myers at a 5.5 cap.

Then you have Enstrom who's a 5.75 cap hit. So you have over 20 mill tied up in 5 Dmen. That almost means you have a minimum of a 4 mill Dman playing 3rd pairing mins on the right side. That's way too much money.

The only way I see it making any sense is if the Islanders are going to die on the hill to get a "equal" dman back, you trade the Islanders one of Trouba or Myers for Hamonic, then flip a right shot to a team like the Oilers for a forward. If the ask is Trouba, you swap Trouba for Hamonic, then you sway Myers to the Oilers for a forward. At worst the Jets get an equivalent right shot Dman to replace Myers, who's got a cheaper cap hit and is a local kid. Personally I think Hamonic might be slightly better than Myers but regardless, you have a fantastic top 4 with Buf, Myers/Hamonic, Enstrom and I think Stuart is the 4th.

For the Oilers, I would prefer Hamonic because of the cap hit and because he's maybe slightly better than Myers but if my scenario panned out and the Oilers got Myers for say Eberle, I would be happy with that. Myers is a huge, good skating, puck moving, big shot, right handed, top 3 dman who's just entering his prime. He can play big mins, he can be on your PP, play in all situations. He's signed up for several more years, his cap hit of 5.5 mill really isn't bad and he's better than every single dman the Oilers currently have and he's better than most of the Oilers Defense by a lot.

I'm pretty sure Trouba will get bridged by the Jets. If not, your comparison contracts are good, throw in Olli Maatta there too. He's been playing a lot of LD this year with Buff or with Myers, making their top 4 Buff-Enstrom Myers-Trouba. Stuart is barely a 6, let alone a 4, the problem with the Jets the last few years is the RH vs LH stuff and it forced Stuart to play too high, or Trouba to play too low, to balance things out. Trouba moving to the left a lot this year, and thriving, made it easier on the balance. Chairot, Postma, Stuart and Pardy made up the bottom 2 with Postma and Pardy barely playing at all.

As for the thought of a forward, Jets have Kyle Connor with Michigan who still may sign, he put up the same number of points this year as a Freshman as Eichel did last year as a Freshman in less games. He's a big time scorer. He's only 20 though, so to expect too much could be dangerous, but the Jets like cheap and Connor will be far cheaper than Eberle will be, so that will make that trade a little more difficult. With Connor and guys like Armia, Dano, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp, etc the Jets are actually overloaded with young skill guys. And remember I said the Jets love cheap, so they'll choose running these guys over trading for Eberle if they think the players are close to performing well, and they are close.

Coming into the year, I thought a Trouba-Nuge trade could be made, but now I'm not so sure. Jets have a lot of centers. Scheifele, Little, Perreault, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp...all play center and Maurice likes to have two centers on each line (or at least two guys who can take draws, Stafford and Thorburn are good on draws too), so I'm not sure Nuge is a fit here anymore.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670312 is a reply to message #670310 ]
Wed, 06 April 2016 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 06 April 2016 09:46

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 06 April 2016 09:36

Buf at a 5.2 cap.
Myers at a 5.5 cap.

I'm pretty sure Trouba will get bridged by the Jets. If not, your comparison contracts are good, throw in Olli Maatta there too. He's been playing a lot of LD this year with Buff or with Myers, making their top 4 Buff-Enstrom Myers-Trouba. Stuart is barely a 6, let alone a 4, the problem with the Jets the last few years is the RH vs LH stuff and it forced Stuart to play too high, or Trouba to play too low, to balance things out. Trouba moving to the left a lot this year, and thriving, made it easier on the balance. Chairot, Postma, Stuart and Pardy made up the bottom 2 with Postma and Pardy barely playing at all.

As for the thought of a forward, Jets have Kyle Connor with Michigan who still may sign, he put up the same number of points this year as a Freshman as Eichel did last year as a Freshman in less games. He's a big time scorer. He's only 20 though, so to expect too much could be dangerous, but the Jets like cheap and Connor will be far cheaper than Eberle will be, so that will make that trade a little more difficult. With Connor and guys like Armia, Dano, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp, etc the Jets are actually overloaded with young skill guys. And remember I said the Jets love cheap, so they'll choose running these guys over trading for Eberle if they think the players are close to performing well, and they are close.

Coming into the year, I thought a Trouba-Nuge trade could be made, but now I'm not so sure. Jets have a lot of centers. Scheifele, Little, Perreault, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp...all play center and Maurice likes to have two centers on each line (or at least two guys who can take draws, Stafford and Thorburn are good on draws too), so I'm not sure Nuge is a fit here anymore.

I just looked at their forward and when you have a player like Perreault as your 4th highest scoring forward and only has 9 goals, to me it says your forwards aren't very good. He's a 3rd liner. I do agree that on paper, they have a lot of young guys coming up but as an Oiler fans, we have seen what can happen when you pin all your hopes on a bunch a of young guys. I know they are a smaller market team so having cheap guys do well is important, but it's a risk.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670419 is a reply to message #670312 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

On Nielsen and Fraser this morning Dreger said that Kelfbom + would not get a deal for Hamonic done. To me it makes no sense to trade Klefbom for the RH Dman we need as it would just create a hole on the Left side. We need more D not just replacing our top D. Plus I don't think Hamonic , while would be a nice piece, I don't think Hamonic brings enough offence to sell the farm for.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670424 is a reply to message #670419 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 10:33

On Nielsen and Fraser this morning Dreger said that Kelfbom + would not get a deal for Hamonic done. To me it makes no sense to trade Klefbom for the RH Dman we need as it would just create a hole on the Left side. We need more D not just replacing our top D. Plus I don't think Hamonic , while would be a nice piece, I don't think Hamonic brings enough offence to sell the farm for.

Does Klefbom's health become a factor at some point? Because I think having a healthy Hamonic play 70+ games in the lineup is worth Klefbom playing half a season.

I don't know. It's one year, but he's had injury problems in his history, and it was a red flag when he was drafted, if I recall correctly.

Either way, it might be worth trading a LH defenseman for a similar RH defensman.

Left-handed shots on the Oilers blueline: Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson, Oesterle, Reinhart, Ference.
Right-handed shots on the Oilers blueline: Fayne, Gryba (UFA), Pardy (UFA), Clendening (RFA).

Bottom line is, I like Klefbom, but I wouldn't completely hate a trade of Klefbom for Hamonic. It might be a step forward for the club, though I actually think Hamonic and Klefbom could be a nice pairing if they were able to find a way to keep both (and if they both could stay healthy).

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670425 is a reply to message #670424 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 10:45

Does Klefbom's health become a factor at some point? Because I think having a healthy Hamonic play 70+ games in the lineup is worth Klefbom playing half a season.

I don't know. It's one year, but he's had injury problems in his history, and it was a red flag when he was drafted, if I recall correctly.

Either way, it might be worth trading a LH defenseman for a similar RH defensman.

Left-handed shots on the Oilers blueline: Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson, Oesterle, Reinhart, Ference.
Right-handed shots on the Oilers blueline: Fayne, Gryba (UFA), Pardy (UFA), Clendening (RFA).

Bottom line is, I like Klefbom, but I wouldn't completely hate a trade of Klefbom for Hamonic. It might be a step forward for the club, though I actually think Hamonic and Klefbom could be a nice pairing if they were able to find a way to keep both (and if they both could stay healthy).

I'm getting to this spot as well. I was firmly against Klefbom for Hamonic earlier in the year, because I believe Klefbom has the higher ceiling. I still think that's the case, but we need a guy who's in the lineup, and I'm a little worried about Klefbom's absenteeism. Now, an infection is pretty fluky, and he may never have another worry like that again. We've seen guys like Gaborik struggle with injuries early in their career and then be pretty valuable guys when they have better health luck later on, but there's also lots that just fall off the map.

It was good to see Klefbom still has two legs when he walked the carpet last night.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670426 is a reply to message #670419 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't think Chiarelli would do it. It wouldn't surprise me if that "info" was coming from Snow leaking it out to a Dreger. Snow can ask for whatever he wants, it doesn't mean he gets it.

Snow can pretend he's in the drivers seat and he is to a degree but the pressure to trade Hamonic is getting more and more. Hamonic asked to be traded last offseasn. It didn't happen. He went into the season and it didn't happen. He finally made it public and it didn't happen. I commend him for coming out and saying, I need to be traded but don't worry, it won't be a distraction, I'm still going to bust my ass for this team and he has.

But Hamonic isn't asking to be moved because he doesn't like the coach, or the city or owner or GM, or how he's being played or he doesn't like his contract. He's asking because he looks after his family and they need him closer to home. So this is personal, this is family. So as good of a guy and teammate as he's been there is going to come a point where Hamonic says, enough is enough. He's given him a very long time to do this and if it doesn't happen soon, it could get ugly and I wouldn't blame Hamonic. It could also trickle down to other players because his guy is very beloved in their dressing room and if the players start thinking the team isn't going to good by the player, especially a beloved guy, they could resent the team. So Snow better watch it.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670431 is a reply to message #670419 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 09:33

Dreger saying Klefbom.. "PLUS", is just a dumb thing to say.

Actually if we retained some salary, I'd ship Sekera for Hamonic, if its a choice of giving up Klefbom or Sekera, I'd part with Sekera, Klefbom could bring more offence IMHO, and then try and replace Sekera with a UFA or trade.

Klefbom Hamonic
Demers Vatanen
Nurse Davidson

Gryba/Pardy

Farm: Reinhart, Oesterle

If we get the No.1 pick..

OEL Klefbom
(Demers/Vatanen) Hamonic
Nurse Davidson

Gryba/Pardy

Farm: Reinhart, Oesterle

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2016 11:36]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670445 is a reply to message #670419 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

To me it makes no sense to trade Klefbom for the RH Dman we need as it would just create a hole on the Left side.

Disagree with you here because all of our "best" (I use the term lightly) defencemen are left-handed. We need to even out the count.

Lefties: Sek, Klef, Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart, Oesterle

Righties: Uhh...Fayne?

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670447 is a reply to message #670445 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 14:43

To me it makes no sense to trade Klefbom for the RH Dman we need as it would just create a hole on the Left side.

Disagree with you here because all of our "best" (I use the term lightly) defencemen are left-handed. We need to even out the count.

Being picky, I know, but I don't even think I'd use the term "even out". I prefer "balance". It doesn't have to be an equal split, but if you can get a few RH guys to play in your Top couple pairings on forward and defense, it gives the coach a few more tools that he can use, especially when structuring a powerplay. Plus, it's just always a little easier to play the puck quickly on your strong side when you are in the defensive end.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670449 is a reply to message #670447 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 14:58

Being picky, I know, but I don't even think I'd use the term "even out". I prefer "balance". It doesn't have to be an equal split, but if you can get a few RH guys to play in your Top couple pairings on forward and defense, it gives the coach a few more tools that he can use, especially when structuring a powerplay. Plus, it's just always a little easier to play the puck quickly on your strong side when you are in the defensive end.

Especially especially when structuring a powerplay where all our playmakers are left-shots! We need SOMEONE who can take a one-timer. (I'm okay if that someone is named Patrik Laine...)

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670463 is a reply to message #670445 ]
Thu, 07 April 2016 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Problem is all of our d men slot a pairing higher than they should be and trading Klefbom for Hamonic does not help that problem. Making that trade and assuming PC picks up another RH dman for other parts (say Demers as ufa) the depth chart would look like this:

Sekera/Hamonic
Davidson/Demers
Nurse/Fayne

However, if he could acquire the same guys without moving out Klefbom or Nurse the depth chart would look like:

Klefbom/Hamonic
Sekera/Demers
Nurse/Davidson
Fayne... Reinhart/Osterle playing 1st pairing minutes in Bakersfield ready to be called up when the inevitable injury bug hits. Option 2 looks like a much more competent d corpse to me. What say you?

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670467 is a reply to message #670463 ]
Fri, 08 April 2016 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

As much as the Islanders said they wanted a dman back for Hamonic, I think that ask will change in the offseason. If you are trading Hamonic mid season, then yes you need a quality Dman back. But once the season is over, that ask I think changes. Both Okposo and Nielsen are UFA's. Okposo and Nielsen are second and third in team scoring. Nielsen is their second line center and a pretty good one and Okposo is on right wing with Nielsen. I don't think the Islanders will be able to sign both guys. Okposo is a 2.8 mill cap hit but is making 4.5 mill in salary. Nielsen is 2.75 cap hit but making 3.5 in salary. So both guys are going to be wanting a raise. You have to think Nielsen will be making in the 5's and Okposo would be at least in the 5's and maybe closer to 6. Tavares makes 6 mill in salary so if you are Snow, probably don't want to sign any of those 2 to more than Tavares. If you are picking one, you would go for the center all day long. So if Okposo walks, that means Strome and his 8 goals is the best right winger they have. Eberle would look damn good on Tavares right side, which allows you to slot Strome on the second line.

You could easily make it Hamonic for Eberle and some other small piece and that's probably decent value.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670468 is a reply to message #670467 ]
Fri, 08 April 2016 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 April 2016 08:34

As much as the Islanders said they wanted a dman back for Hamonic, I think that ask will change in the offseason. If you are trading Hamonic mid season, then yes you need a quality Dman back. But once the season is over, that ask I think changes. Both Okposo and Nielsen are UFA's. Okposo and Nielsen are second and third in team scoring. Nielsen is their second line center and a pretty good one and Okposo is on right wing with Nielsen. I don't think the Islanders will be able to sign both guys. Okposo is a 2.8 mill cap hit but is making 4.5 mill in salary. Nielsen is 2.75 cap hit but making 3.5 in salary. So both guys are going to be wanting a raise. You have to think Nielsen will be making in the 5's and Okposo would be at least in the 5's and maybe closer to 6. Tavares makes 6 mill in salary so if you are Snow, probably don't want to sign any of those 2 to more than Tavares. If you are picking one, you would go for the center all day long. So if Okposo walks, that means Strome and his 8 goals is the best right winger they have. Eberle would look damn good on Tavares right side, which allows you to slot Strome on the second line.

You could easily make it Hamonic for Eberle and some other small piece and that's probably decent value.

Yep, totally agree with this statement. Eberle +(& I think it is Davidson) gets it done. Don't want to trade away Davidson, but we need to add a NHL defenseman to get this deal done & I believe that is what it would take. Some won't like it, but I can live with it. Then after getting Hamonic we go after a PP Dman in the #4 spot. Then after getting 2 top 4 dmen we will have a credible NHL D-core that can efectively move the puck to our high end forward group.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670472 is a reply to message #670468 ]
Fri, 08 April 2016 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Jakey wrote on Fri, 08 April 2016 09:50

Yep, totally agree with this statement. Eberle +(& I think it is Davidson) gets it done. Don't want to trade away Davidson, but we need to add a NHL defenseman to get this deal done & I believe that is what it would take. Some won't like it, but I can live with it. Then after getting Hamonic we go after a PP Dman in the #4 spot. Then after getting 2 top 4 dmen we will have a credible NHL D-core that can efectively move the puck to our high end forward group.

I don't know if the Oilers add to Eberle for Hamonic...I think Hamonic is good, but I think Eberle is better. I'd say the Islanders are adding before the Oilers are...that's what I think anyway.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670474 is a reply to message #670472 ]
Fri, 08 April 2016 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Fri, 08 April 2016 10:15

Jakey wrote on Fri, 08 April 2016 09:50

I don't know if the Oilers add to Eberle for Hamonic...I think Hamonic is good, but I think Eberle is better. I'd say the Islanders are adding before the Oilers are...that's what I think anyway.

I think you may be underestimating how much teams value a good dman. Look at what Columbus paid to get Jones. They gave up Johansen to get Jones. Johansen is a big, strong, decent skating, right shot, point producing, legit #1 center. Jones is supposed to be really good but he's a young, unproven Dman who was playing 3rd pairing on the Preds. The Preds probably have the best defense in the league and a top 5 goalie. With Rinne in net and the guys they can roll out on defense, that team could make any Dman look damn good. He had barely 2 seasons of games under his belt and wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire.

Hamonic is a 25 yr old, big, strong, right shot Dman with 395 games under his belt, who plays the most mins on a pretty decent team. So you know exactly what you are getting when you bring Hamonic in. So bringing in Hamonic isn't a very big risk like Jones is.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670476 is a reply to message #670474 ]
Fri, 08 April 2016 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Problematic comps. Johansen wasn't thrilled in Columbus, and the feeling was mutual. Hence, he was slightly undervalued. Edmonton-NYI would be the other way around - Hamonic has asked for a trade, Eberle hasn't. And I do think that Eberle is clearly the superior player to Hamonic. NYI is adding to that deal, not Edmonton.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670477 is a reply to message #670476 ]
Fri, 08 April 2016 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Fri, 08 April 2016 10:34

Problematic comps. Johansen wasn't thrilled in Columbus, and the feeling was mutual. Hence, he was slightly undervalued. Edmonton-NYI would be the other way around - Hamonic has asked for a trade, Eberle hasn't. And I do think that Eberle is clearly the superior player to Hamonic. NYI is adding to that deal, not Edmonton.

So you value a smallish, 25 goal, right winger over a big, strong, legit top pairing, right shot, 23 min a night dman? Really? Isn't that part of the reason why the Oilers are where they are? They for years valued forwards over Dman. They drafted Yak, another forward when their glaring need at the time was defense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Eberle, I think he's a real good player but if Snow called and said Hamonic for Eberle, it's a no brainer. Take a look at any of the successful teams and every one of them have several really good Dmen. Nashville until this year, for years had no one even close to as good as Eberle but had a great defense and were way better than the Oilers. The Yotes have had nobody at forward even close to as talented as Eberle but have done better than the Oilers just about every year. Calgary made the playoffs last year on the strength of their blue line. If they had any goaltending this year, they would be way ahead of the Oilers.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670497 is a reply to message #670477 ]
Sat, 09 April 2016 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Read my post again and grasp what I am actually saying. With the Columbus Nashville trade, it as Johansen who wanted out and/or was seen as problematic by the team. That lowered his value relative to Jones. With Edmonton/NYI, it is Hamonic who wants out, which lowers his value relatively. And yes, goal scoring his highly prioritized in this league, and Eberle is a proven elite-level goal scorer, which raises his value relatively. It may not be how YOU value the players relative to one another, but I'm saying that I think league-wide, Eberle for Hamonic would be US overpaying.

At the same time, I think you are right, that NYI has insisted a Dman come back for Hamonic, which means someone like Davidson being included. But if that happens, the Oilers are going to insist on a quality forward coming back to us from the Islanders as well.

For that matter, with the breakout season Davidson had, I might see a trade of Davidson plus a cheaper forward for Hamonic. Just spitballing on that one though.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670503 is a reply to message #670497 ]
Sat, 09 April 2016 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

If PK is available, it changes everything. It also gives the most marketable duo in the NHL. MTL can't be this stupid, but if they are, Chia needs to be on it like curds and gravy on poutine.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670504 is a reply to message #670503 ]
Sat, 09 April 2016 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Sat, 09 April 2016 10:06

If PK is available, it changes everything. It also gives the most marketable duo in the NHL. MTL can't be this stupid, but if they are, Chia needs to be on it like curds and gravy on poutine.

All reports are that Bergevin is going to announce Therrien is back as Montreals HC next year, so that confirms the bolded statement.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670604 is a reply to message #670504 ]
Tue, 12 April 2016 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fridge01  is currently offline Fridge01

No Cups

Just weighing this one out. Does the team look better if we have our #1 D pairing of:

Hamonic / PK

And we remove both our 'core players'

Hall / Ebs

If you consider our wingers to then be:

LD / Maroon (would be a heavy combination on either side of Conner)

Pou / Yak (with the Nuge)

Shiny New Finnish Guy / Kassian (with new Marty Reasoner)

Dare to dream, but that I believe is better.

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670608 is a reply to message #670604 ]
Tue, 12 April 2016 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Fridge01 wrote on Tue, 12 April 2016 11:17

Just weighing this one out. Does the team look better if we have our #1 D pairing of:

Hamonic / PK

Hall / Ebs

I agree that is a better team. You lose a driver in Hall who plays 20 mins/night, but gain a driver in Subban that can play 30/night. You gain 2 guys that are going to be solid in your own zone as well and our PP becomes idiot proof with a 1st unit containing McDavid and Subban. Not even Eakins could screw that unit up.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Target Defencemen [message #670609 is a reply to message #670608 ]
Tue, 12 April 2016 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 April 2016 13:09

Fridge01 wrote on Tue, 12 April 2016 11:17

Hamonic / PK

Hall / Ebs

I agree that is a better team. You lose a driver in Hall who plays 20 mins/night, but gain a driver in Subban that can play 30/night. You gain 2 guys that are going to be solid in your own zone as well and our PP becomes idiot proof with a 1st unit containing McDavid and Subban. Not even Eakins could screw that unit up.

Yes he could.

This is fine.

Pages (8): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Premature Speculation - New Forum?
Next Topic:Which Trade was Worse?!
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca