F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » How to get a RHD?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 How to get a RHD? [message #663900]
Wed, 13 January 2016 09:28 Go to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Well, I think we've heard of established guys like Hamonic and Barrie, and the take would be quite a bit.

But are there any prospects that are along that you could try and obtain?

The one team I looked at, was the Washington Capitals. They have a guy 2 years out of his draft year, and in his first pro season in the AHL; Madison Bowey.

I think next year he's a bottom pairing NHLer, who can play the PP. His ceiling could be that of a 1st pairing guy which means he has a ton of pedigree and cache, so the price would be steep.

But if Washington thinks they can make a run this year, and would be willing to part for the right price, the question is what is that right price, and would the Oilers have what it takes?

Feel free to list any other D men that are in the same realm as a guy like Bowey that maybe we should look to.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #663906 is a reply to message #663900 ]
Wed, 13 January 2016 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 13 January 2016 09:28

Well, I think we've heard of established guys like Hamonic and Barrie, and the take would be quite a bit.

But are there any prospects that are along that you could try and obtain?

The one team I looked at, was the Washington Capitals. They have a guy 2 years out of his draft year, and in his first pro season in the AHL; Madison Bowey.

I think next year he's a bottom pairing NHLer, who can play the PP. His ceiling could be that of a 1st pairing guy which means he has a ton of pedigree and cache, so the price would be steep.

But if Washington thinks they can make a run this year, and would be willing to part for the right price, the question is what is that right price, and would the Oilers have what it takes?

Feel free to list any other D men that are in the same realm as a guy like Bowey that maybe we should look to.

I wish the Oilers would have drafted Madison Bowey. There for the taking. Instead, traded down and picked Marco Roy.

Same for Damon Severson. Ended up with Mitch Moroz instead.

I was disappointed on Draft Day that they didn't go for either of them.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #663911 is a reply to message #663906 ]
Wed, 13 January 2016 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fridge01  is currently offline Fridge01

No Cups

If they could only unite the Rockets alumni I think we would be a contender...

Keith Weber

Myers Barrie

Edler Sverson

Georges Bowey

Schenn

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #663916 is a reply to message #663911 ]
Wed, 13 January 2016 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

I would really like the Oil to go after Hamonic at the draft and also see if we could pry Matt Martin our of of Long Island with him. Hamonic is the type of Dman we need and Martin would add about 300+ hits a year to our current line up

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #663915 is a reply to message #663900 ]
Wed, 13 January 2016 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I really liked watching Bowey with the Rockets last year, the kid was awesome! That said, we kind of already have someone in that age range in Nurse. I think we need someone more established that can push guys like Nurse/Klefbom down a spot down the pecking order.

Honestly, the Shattenkirk talk has me interested the most. We've done cap dump deals with St Louis a couple times now and we've got some younger players that could be worked into a deal like that. With all the speculation around D on the block, he seems like the most realistic target for a deal.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664015 is a reply to message #663900 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

It's funny with regards to this topic. The only way that the media around town seems to think this is possible is for the Oilers to give up Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle as part of a package.

It seems to me unlikely that that is the case, and unlikely if that's the plan that it will go down that way. The Oilers may need to trade one of those players in order to fit in the salaries for a top tier defenceman, but one for one trades where you give up a significant player at one position for one at another position are a rarity in today's NHL (Johanssen for Jones notwithstanding).

It makes sense actually that it wouldn't be a common occurrence. Top pairing defencemen are hard to come by, so why would a team deal one if they had one? Yes, maybe you get a top line centre, but you're just patching one hole by opening up another. Columbus may have got a potential top pairing guy in Jones, but their centre depth is a complete mess for doing that deal.

So here's the reasons I see that someone moves a top pairing d-man:

1) A team has a surplus - This was Nashville's position and it's a nice problem to have. They had two great defencemen in Josi and Weber and Jones wasn't cracking the top pairing any time soon with those guys there. He's expecting a lift in salary and they were looking to change their forward mix, so they were willing to sacrifice that player (even though, most teams with three great defencemen are happy to keep three great defencemen - the Ducks may have had Pronger and Niedermayer, but they weren't dealing away Beauchemin who might have been able to play top pairing elsewhere.) I think this is a rare situation, because there's just not very many teams in the league where they have a proven top flight guy who's playing on their second pairing.

2) They're a losing team and selling off high-priced guys - most of these players will be UFAs to be, but every year there's one or two deadline deals for guys who still have another year left on their contract. This is probably the most common kind of trade of top tier guys now, and it's typically teams tooling up for a playoff run that make the deal. The teams selling aren't looking for a Jordan Eberle - rather they want to reduce payroll, send off veterans, play their kids and lose a lot down the stretch in order to get the best possible draft pick. If the Oilers want to pick up a guy in his late 20s or early 30s, this might be a road to explore. The only challenge is that if the guy isn't signed for next year, you have a pretty short window to convince him that Edmonton (despite all the losing here) is a great place to play and somewhere he wants to spend the next few years of his life in.

3) A team can't afford a player any more. This was what drove Pronger to the Oilers from St. Louis. The team was being sold and looked to reduce payroll. Pronger was an RFA coming off a $10MM/year contract (but fortunately, it was after Armageddon and the salaries were much reduced). If someone is reducing payroll, they aren't going to take our $6MM/year players. They may want a cheaper roster guy like Yakupov or Davidson and then prospects and picks.

4) A player asks for a move. Pronger leaving Edmonton, Heatley leaving Ottawa, Johanssen and the Blue Jackets, Hamonic and the Islanders? It's a tough situation for all parties, but generally it reduces the value that you're able to get for the player. The Oilers shouldn't overpay for a guy in that situation, because if a Hamonic only has 4-5 teams he'll play for then there's not a lot of competition and you don't want to give up more than you have to. The Oilers have to be conscious of the fact that dealing Nuge or Eberle opens up a gaping hole for the team too...yes, we have some offensive forwards who can score, but we do not have guys to replace either of those players. Our top prospects are all in the NHL so the guys we'd be bringing up to plug in for whoever is dealt are BIG steps down. Garth Snow can say he wants the moon for Hamonic, but if at some point he's faced with a player who won't play for his team any more, he will have to get back whatever he can for him.

5) They failed to sign him and now he's UFA-to-be - The Oilers dealt for a guy who could slot anywhere from a #1 to #6 guy a couple seasons ago - trading draft picks to Columbus for the rights to talk to Nikita Nikitin about pre-empting his free agency period. His agent laughed at the time and basically said the Oilers would have to give the moon and the stars to keep Nikitin from testing the market. The rest is history.

Still, this is a route that other teams have been successful with before. The Flyers went a similar route to get Kimmo Timonen from the Predators and Timonen was a big contributor for years afterwards. Again, you're giving up
draft picks, not players.

The one other way guys like this move is through unrestricted free agency. Chiarelli got Chara that way. The Ducks got Niedermayer that way. The Wild got Suter through free agency. It costs you nothing but money.

Given all the above, I think it's very unlikely that we see a Nuge for #1 d-man trade in the future and much more likely that we see one acquired for picks or prospects or just straight old money in free agency.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664020 is a reply to message #664015 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

I think Chiarelli should be shopping our 1st round pick. Probably means that a deal doesn't happen until the season is over, but he should be talking now so St. Louis doesn't accept a lesser trade in the mean time.

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664025 is a reply to message #664015 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 11:53

The one other way guys like this move is through unrestricted free agency. Chiarelli got Chara that way. The Ducks got Niedermayer that way. The Wild got Suter through free agency. It costs you nothing but money.

The only guy who fits the bill this summer is Big Buff. I can't picture him as an Oiler. He's a little quirky and not sure he would endear himself to the locals.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664043 is a reply to message #664025 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 12:42

The only guy who fits the bill this summer is Big Buff. I can't picture him as an Oiler. He's a little quirky and not sure he would endear himself to the locals.

Honestly, the idea of locking Byfuglien up long term terrifies me.

He's pretty good right now. But him showing up out of shape every year is almost legendary. It hasn't caught up with him yet, but there's a part of me that expects and is afraid that it will as he gets older. Last thing you want is an overweight Dustin Byfuglien that can't get around the ice and is locked up for seven years at eight million dollars.

I hope there are other options that will allow me to have a little more faith and optimism towards the future.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664093 is a reply to message #664043 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 16:14

He's pretty good right now. But him showing up out of shape every year is almost legendary. It hasn't caught up with him yet, but there's a part of me that expects and is afraid that it will as he gets older. Last thing you want is an overweight Dustin Byfuglien that can't get around the ice and is locked up for seven years at eight million dollars.

I hope there are other options that will allow me to have a little more faith and optimism towards the future.

Doesn't Buff seem like some bizzare marvel of humanity? He's that huge but he can skate like the wind and seems to have tonnes of energy still. He might have 5 really good years left. Think he's just a freak of nature and it's just going to keep carrying him for some time still.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664139 is a reply to message #664093 ]
Fri, 15 January 2016 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 23:11

Doesn't Buff seem like some bizzare marvel of humanity? He's that huge but he can skate like the wind and seems to have tonnes of energy still. He might have 5 really good years left. Think he's just a freak of nature and it's just going to keep carrying him for some time still.

The Buff being out of shape narrative is the most overhyped and flat out wrong opinion out there. While it USED to be a problem 4 years or so ago, it is definitely not a problem now. We've all seen that picture from a wedding in the summer a bunch of years ago, was it real? I still doubt actually. I watch nearly every Jet game and Buff is by far the biggest impact player on the ice. He plays a ton and if he were really that out of shape, he could not handle the minutes he plays. It's just not true, it's easy to say it, but it's just not true.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664149 is a reply to message #664139 ]
Fri, 15 January 2016 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:07

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 23:11

The Buff being out of shape narrative is the most overhyped and flat out wrong opinion out there. While it USED to be a problem 4 years or so ago, it is definitely not a problem now. We've all seen that picture from a wedding in the summer a bunch of years ago, was it real? I still doubt actually. I watch nearly every Jet game and Buff is by far the biggest impact player on the ice. He plays a ton and if he were really that out of shape, he could not handle the minutes he plays. It's just not true, it's easy to say it, but it's just not true.

Maybe that's true. I'm not in the room, so it's not like I have a first-hand account.

But after seeing how a fitness freak like Andrew Ference has declined with age, and after seeing a rapid fall from a guy like Dustin Penner, and after seeing the Oilers over and over again land free-agents who aren't a good as advertised and who have anchor contracts shortly into their time as an Oiler... rumours around a guys fitness makes me leery. You never know how age will catch up with a player, especially if he isn't committed to fitness throughout his career.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664038 is a reply to message #664015 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 10:53

It's funny with regards to this topic. The only way that the media around town seems to think this is possible is for the Oilers to give up Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle as part of a package.

It seems to me unlikely that that is the case, and unlikely if that's the plan that it will go down that way. The Oilers may need to trade one of those players in order to fit in the salaries for a top tier defenceman, but one for one trades where you give up a significant player at one position for one at another position are a rarity in today's NHL (Johanssen for Jones notwithstanding).

It makes sense actually that it wouldn't be a common occurrence. Top pairing defencemen are hard to come by, so why would a team deal one if they had one? Yes, maybe you get a top line centre, but you're just patching one hole by opening up another. Columbus may have got a potential top pairing guy in Jones, but their centre depth is a complete mess for doing that deal.

So here's the reasons I see that someone moves a top pairing d-man:

1) A team has a surplus - This was Nashville's position and it's a nice problem to have. They had two great defencemen in Josi and Weber and Jones wasn't cracking the top pairing any time soon with those guys there. He's expecting a lift in salary and they were looking to change their forward mix, so they were willing to sacrifice that player (even though, most teams with three great defencemen are happy to keep three great defencemen - the Ducks may have had Pronger and Niedermayer, but they weren't dealing away Beauchemin who might have been able to play top pairing elsewhere.) I think this is a rare situation, because there's just not very many teams in the league where they have a proven top flight guy who's playing on their second pairing.

2) They're a losing team and selling off high-priced guys - most of these players will be UFAs to be, but every year there's one or two deadline deals for guys who still have another year left on their contract. This is probably the most common kind of trade of top tier guys now, and it's typically teams tooling up for a playoff run that make the deal. The teams selling aren't looking for a Jordan Eberle - rather they want to reduce payroll, send off veterans, play their kids and lose a lot down the stretch in order to get the best possible draft pick. If the Oilers want to pick up a guy in his late 20s or early 30s, this might be a road to explore. The only challenge is that if the guy isn't signed for next year, you have a pretty short window to convince him that Edmonton (despite all the losing here) is a great place to play and somewhere he wants to spend the next few years of his life in.

3) A team can't afford a player any more. This was what drove Pronger to the Oilers from St. Louis. The team was being sold and looked to reduce payroll. Pronger was an RFA coming off a $10MM/year contract (but fortunately, it was after Armageddon and the salaries were much reduced). If someone is reducing payroll, they aren't going to take our $6MM/year players. They may want a cheaper roster guy like Yakupov or Davidson and then prospects and picks.

4) A player asks for a move. Pronger leaving Edmonton, Heatley leaving Ottawa, Johanssen and the Blue Jackets, Hamonic and the Islanders? It's a tough situation for all parties, but generally it reduces the value that you're able to get for the player. The Oilers shouldn't overpay for a guy in that situation, because if a Hamonic only has 4-5 teams he'll play for then there's not a lot of competition and you don't want to give up more than you have to. The Oilers have to be conscious of the fact that dealing Nuge or Eberle opens up a gaping hole for the team too...yes, we have some offensive forwards who can score, but we do not have guys to replace either of those players. Our top prospects are all in the NHL so the guys we'd be bringing up to plug in for whoever is dealt are BIG steps down. Garth Snow can say he wants the moon for Hamonic, but if at some point he's faced with a player who won't play for his team any more, he will have to get back whatever he can for him.

5) They failed to sign him and now he's UFA-to-be - The Oilers dealt for a guy who could slot anywhere from a #1 to #6 guy a couple seasons ago - trading draft picks to Columbus for the rights to talk to Nikita Nikitin about pre-empting his free agency period. His agent laughed at the time and basically said the Oilers would have to give the moon and the stars to keep Nikitin from testing the market. The rest is history.

Still, this is a route that other teams have been successful with before. The Flyers went a similar route to get Kimmo Timonen from the Predators and Timonen was a big contributor for years afterwards. Again, you're giving up
draft picks, not players.

Given all the above, I think it's very unlikely that we see a Nuge for #1 d-man trade in the future and much more likely that we see one acquired for picks or prospects or just straight old money in free agency.

Great post Adam, and you have set out the reasoning behind a team moving a top pairing guy, or how you can obtain one. Most often, it's extremely difficult, more-so than a top end forward. Which is why I think you see a lot more teams focused on drafting and developing their back end. With youth becoming more and more important and effective around the NHL, I think the safest bet is either acquiring a guy on his first round of UFA, or by finding a team with a surplus like you said. But I would another option out there is finding a team with a small win now bubble, or having the pressure to get over the hump.

Bowey

This is why I think a team like Washington makes sense. Their core is locked up in Backstrom, OV, and Holtby, but they have yet to get over that hump and will need to re-sign Carlson and Alzner in the coming years for big pay days. Over this season and the next 2, I think they have to push it (injury possibilities, down years, and players getting older). So a guy like Bowey may be attainable for an established player to help them over this 3-4 year window.

The problem is, they most likely are looking for a current top 4 D man who can fill in right now for this period (say a trade and following signing of a Big Buff). We don't have anyone fitting this bill, but perhaps they look for a Jordan Eberle type to replace Williams on that 2nd line RW to play with Kuznetsov and Burakovsky, and thus forcing Williams to a 3rd line role with his buddy Richards.

Obviously cap would need to come back as well, meaning you would likely need to take back Brooks Laich. The only problem is they need him for this years run, so a deal likely doesn't get consummated until the draft.

Eberle for Laich, Bowey, 1st?

But they actually could use a top 4 guy right now, maybe Schultz could be sent there at the deadline to improve that Bowey trade in the summer, or also adding in one of our current goaltenders for depth in a playoff run?

Hamonic

I do like the idea of Hamonic, except his offense is just not there. This wouldnt be an issue if you get points from other D men, but we have NOBODY. I guess this is why I also disagree with Bowey being too similar to Nurse. He's a RH shot and is a PP specialist, and has been since his major junior days. I know Nurse was also on the PP in the Soo, but not at the capacity of Bowey and especially at the World Jr.'s.

If you can get Hamonic as your 1st pairing RHD, and get an offensive PP RHD for your second pairing, then I say you go for a Hamonic deal. To acquire him? Sekera, a 1st, and a prospect and you may need to eat a million of Sekera's contract a year (which means Hamonic's contract is at a value of $4.75 a season, still not bad and a good value).

Shattenkirk

Shattenkirk would be a great addition as well, but this is a deal made after July 1 and only if he signs an extension. He'd likely command a $6+ million a year, and you would not want to give him anything more than a 6 year deal. What would it cost to get him? You're looking at a team that needs to shed salary, and he could be a salary dump. Meaning picks (a 1st and a 2nd) and some capable prospects (some combination of Yakimov, Slepyshev, Simpson, Bear, Platzer, Khaira, Jones, etc.). Maybe a guy like Yakupov can intrigue them with his low contract as well, but it depends on what direction the Oilers are wanting to go with their forward crop.

Barrie

No question, if the Avs don't feel they can sign him to what he will want, they look to trade him. The problem is they would require a replacement player, or at least a top 4 RHD. Maybe a deal around Schultz is possible, knowing that to qualify Schultz at $3.9 million (slightly more than Barrie) but he would undoubtedly accept a 3-4 year deal at this price point. Obviously it would take more than Schultz to get this done, and the other question is can you rely on Barrie to be a top pairing D man at the height of 5'10" and under 200lbs? Barrie will command Jared Spurgeon type money, so you'd need to account for this as well.

Larsson

He plays in NJ and I don't see him play much, so if someone else can tell me if he'd be a target, and what it would take to get him, it would be great to hear.

Byfuglien

A UFA, meaning only money, but the price will be steep as he's a cup winner, only 30 years of age, and is the ONLY marquee RHD in the free agent group. The dollars don't concern me, it's the term. Someone will give him 6 or 7 years, and will regret those last few years. He already has trouble staying in shape, which will only be more difficult as he gets older (unless you're Jagr) and his motivation may dwindle. If you want to sign him to a 3 year deal at $8 million, then you may be able to convince him to take it, and it keeps him motivated knowing he has 1 more UFA period ahead. But that's a lot of money for this guy, and within that contract you have to re-up LD, McDavid, and Nurse.

Ceci

Highly doubt Ottawa would let this guy go, but if the price is right, he may be had. He's projecting to be a top pairing guy, and should eventually get to that 35-40+ guy depending on PP time. But I don't see him enough to know, and from everything I've heard, Ottawa is high on him, like how we are for Nurse.

Those are about all I can think of for possibilities in the RHD top pairing group. Some have more upside, some more point producers, some signed already, some UFA, some young.

I just want us to try and fill this hole now, so in 2-3 years when we are competing, we have a guy capable in that position. This brings me back to Bowey, but with the addition of a Shattenkirk, we may be able to compete next season. So I'd say those would be my top 2 targets, but all are really good options to consider.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688243 is a reply to message #664038 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mazankowski wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 14:19

With youth becoming more and more important and effective around the NHL, I think the safest bet is either acquiring a guy on his first round of UFA, or by finding a team with a surplus like you said. But I would another option out there is finding a team with a small win now bubble, or having the pressure to get over the hump.

Larsson

He plays in NJ and I don't see him play much, so if someone else can tell me if he'd be a target, and what it would take to get him, it would be great to hear.

He's top pairing but on a bad team and doesn't QB so the price can't be that high.

The reason I dusted off this thread is because we still need a RHD this offseason, unless the braintrust is convinced that playing Kris Russell on his weak side is a permanent solution. Klef has made strides but we probably need the RHD to QB our PP too. Do we have a realistic chance of landing this player before 17/18? If so, who? The guy who comes to mind for me is Tyson Barrie given the Avalanche's issues, but he doesn't strike me as a Chia Oiler. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688244 is a reply to message #688243 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 10:15

With youth becoming more and more important and effective around the NHL, I think the safest bet is either acquiring a guy on his first round of UFA, or by finding a team with a surplus like you said. But I would another option out there is finding a team with a small win now bubble, or having the pressure to get over the hump.

Larsson

He's top pairing but on a bad team and doesn't QB so the price can't be that high.

The reason I dusted off this thread is because we still need a RHD this offseason, unless the braintrust is convinced that playing Kris Russell on his weak side is a permanent solution. Klef has made strides but we probably need the RHD to QB our PP too. Do we have a realistic chance of landing this player before 17/18? If so, who? The guy who comes to mind for me is Tyson Barrie given the Avalanche's issues, but he doesn't strike me as a Chia Oiler. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

I think Klefboms emergence might make the PP component of the need a secondary one. Yes he shoots left but he started really slow and is still top ten in goals for defenceman with 11.
This doesnt solve the RH shot issue but I dont know if that guy necessarily needs to be a PP QB as that raises the cost through the roof.
If they could pick up a right shooting defensive guy who can move the puck (and I am not in the camp to keep Russell) I think the top six would be ok.

If he had
Klefbom Larsson
Sekera New RHD
Nurse Benning or better replacement

It would be a good top 6 without selling big to pick up that unicorn of a RH/PPQB/top 2 pairing guy that would be a huge cost

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688248 is a reply to message #688244 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 09:48

DUFFMAN wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 10:15

Larsson

I think Klefboms emergence might make the PP component of the need a secondary one. Yes he shoots left but he started really slow and is still top ten in goals for defenceman with 11.
This doesnt solve the RH shot issue but I dont know if that guy necessarily needs to be a PP QB as that raises the cost through the roof.
If they could pick up a right shooting defensive guy who can move the puck (and I am not in the camp to keep Russell) I think the top six would be ok.

If he had
Klefbom Larsson
Sekera New RHD
Nurse Benning or better replacement

It would be a good top 6 without selling big to pick up that unicorn of a RH/PPQB/top 2 pairing guy that would be a huge cost

I agree with you. To get the right shot, PP QB, top pairing guy was a pipe dream. One of those guys was traded last year. The Habs traded Subban who's exactly that for Weber who's exactly that. That's what it took to get one of those guys. People can debate who won that deal but for my point, who won the trade now or long term doesn't matter. To get Weber or Subban took Weber or Subban. The Oilers didn't have it. Shattenkirk was out there and is still out there. I personally think Shattenkirk is everything that Weber or Subban is except being a top pairing guy. I personally don't see him as a top pairing guy but if someone else thinks he is, I won't argue with you because he's close in my books. According to the reports, the Oilers had a trade of Hall for Shattenkirk all ready to go but it was contingent on Shattenkirk signing a new contract. I am guessing the Oilers reached out to his agent, asked if he would even consider signing in Edmonton, he said no and that was it as they supposedly didn't get to talking any kind of numbers. The Caps paid a heavy price to get him for the playoffs and based on all the reports, he's basically got his mindset on the Rangers already. Regardless, he's going East and he's not crossing the border. So he's not coming no matter what.

Last year, the Oilers had zero right shot, top 4 guys. They paid a heavy price and got Larsson. Larsson doesn't check all the boxes as he doesn't bring a ton of offense, nor can he be your PP QB but he checks off a lot of boxes the Oilers needed. Plus he's signed to a very good contract. Then they signed Benning who has been a god sent. He's young, he needs to continue to grow his game still but I think he's a decent #4 in the very near future. I also think he has some offense in his game and could be a guy that could be on your PP, probably the second PP unit.

So for next season, if the Oilers can get another right shot that can shoot the puck but is maybe at best a #4. I think the Oilers can go back and forth between Benning and this new guy in their second and 3rd pairing and be just fine. I think it's a pipe dream again to think they can get a lock top 4, right shot, PP guy that will score you 50+ every year. I think the cost will be too much. But I do think that you can get a guy who can maybe be a #4 if needed but best as a #5 but can put up Klefbom type numbers of over 10 goals and over 30 pts. Take a Dumba type player (Not necessarily saying him). I am sure there are guys out there who can shoot it, can sub in as a #4 but probably best suited for the 3rd pair but can be your PP shooter. I don't even think the guy needs to run your PP, they have McDavid to do that, they just need a right handed shooter for some one timers.

Moving forward, if you can get a guy that can put up over 10 goals and 30+ pts that is a right shot. If you have Klefbom continue with similar numbers which I don't think is a stretch. If you have a Sekera continue on his close to 10 goals, 30 pt pace which if you look at his career is typical. I think Benning will emerge with more offense. I think Nurse has more to give. All of a sudden you have a decent scoring defense score. Maybe lacking that high end score but lots of guys that put up decent totals.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688266 is a reply to message #688243 ]
Tue, 07 March 2017 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 09:15

Larsson

I think we'll see a few guys hit the market this summer, partly because of the expansion draft, partly teams looking to shake things up. Guys I could see changing address via trade:

Tyler Myers
Sami Vatanen
Tyson Barrie
Travis Hamonic
Alex Petrovic
Cody Ceci or Marc Methot
Justin Faulk
Karl Alzner

Some are likely only available pre-expansion draft, so if the Oilers don't make a move (likely Nurse or a 1st Rd. Pick for a good one, something less for the others), they likely strike out. I'd put Myers, Vatanen, Petrovic, and Ceci/Methot in this category.

Barrie and Hamonic have been in trade talks for a long time, and with Barrie, Colorado looks poised to sell off most of their assets. He likely could be had, even for picks.

Alzner is a UFA... not sure he makes it to free agency though.

Hamonic, Alzner, and Methot are all kind of redundant after Larsson, IMO. It would be better to add a more dynamic player, basically anyone else on that list.

The player I'm most bullish on is Faulk. I don't really understand why Carolina would move him, but if he is indeed on the block, he's target #1 for me, and ideally you move out a Eberle, or RNH in return.

So basically, I think there are many options to solve it, but it might require going with 4+4 in the expansion draft and moving Nurse. Will be lots of debate if it's worth it.

Beyond that... likely looking at Barrie, maybe Faulk, maybe Alzner. That's about it.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688306 is a reply to message #688266 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 18:19

Guys I could see changing address via trade:

Tyler Myers
Sami Vatanen
Tyson Barrie
Travis Hamonic
Alex Petrovic
Cody Ceci or Marc Methot
Justin Faulk
Karl Alzner

Some are likely only available pre-expansion draft, so if the Oilers don't make a move (likely Nurse or a 1st Rd. Pick for a good one, something less for the others), they likely strike out.

I haven't seen Chia's untouchables list but my gut says Nurse is on it. I could see us trading any picks from this year's draft for the right player though. Agreed that Faulk would be nice.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688321 is a reply to message #688306 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 08:18

I haven't seen Chia's untouchables list but my gut says Nurse is on it. I could see us trading any picks from this year's draft for the right player though. Agreed that Faulk would be nice.

While I think you're right that Nurse is on the untouchable list for the Oilers, I don't know that he should be. There's some warts in his game, and it's unclear where his ceiling is. He's not going to be an all-world talent, and yet with the snarl in his game, he's potentially a guy that other teams may overvalue.

If I'm the GM, I act really, REALLY hesitant to enter any discussions on him, and yet somehow let those conversations unfold nonetheless...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688323 is a reply to message #688321 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 11:01

While I think you're right that Nurse is on the untouchable list for the Oilers, I don't know that he should be. There's some warts in his game, and it's unclear where his ceiling is. He's not going to be an all-world talent, and yet with the snarl in his game, he's potentially a guy that other teams may overvalue.

If I'm the GM, I act really, REALLY hesitant to enter any discussions on him, and yet somehow let those conversations unfold nonetheless...

Well he did just turn 22 yrs old and has just 100 NHL games of experience so it should be expected that he has a couple of warts.

In my opinion, the dman coming back for Nurse better be one hell of a dman. With the game getting faster and faster, Nurse's skating ability is a massive advantage that most teams don't have. Then you factor in his mean, physical streak, very few teams have a guy like him. I think at worst he's a second pairing guy. I don't think he will be an elite scorer but he's got a good shot, moves the puck decent and will only get better. With his skating ability and the ability to join the rush, I could easily see him as a dman that hovers around 10 goals, 30 pts plus piling up the hits, being an miserable cuss to play against all in a package that can skate like the wind. Hugely valuable to any team.

A great example. Nurse lost his stick and was in front with Anders Lee. Anders Lee is a beast at 6'3 228 lbs and he was taking a beating from Nurse. I think the Oilers would be stupid to trade him because he's only scratched the surface of what kind of dman he could be.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688328 is a reply to message #688323 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 11:10

Well he did just turn 22 yrs old and has just 100 NHL games of experience so it should be expected that he has a couple of warts.

In my opinion, the dman coming back for Nurse better be one hell of a dman. With the game getting faster and faster, Nurse's skating ability is a massive advantage that most teams don't have. Then you factor in his mean, physical streak, very few teams have a guy like him. I think at worst he's a second pairing guy. I don't think he will be an elite scorer but he's got a good shot, moves the puck decent and will only get better. With his skating ability and the ability to join the rush, I could easily see him as a dman that hovers around 10 goals, 30 pts plus piling up the hits, being an miserable cuss to play against all in a package that can skate like the wind. Hugely valuable to any team.

A great example. Nurse lost his stick and was in front with Anders Lee. Anders Lee is a beast at 6'3 228 lbs and he was taking a beating from Nurse. I think the Oilers would be stupid to trade him because he's only scratched the surface of what kind of dman he could be.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of Nurse. I wanted them to draft him, and have been happy they did.

Where things start to get tricky for me if where he projects moving forward. Call it the Trouba problem. I don't see him supplanting either Klefbom or Sekera on the left side in the next handful of years... so you are left with either having him on the third pairing (likely expensive and too good for that role), or playing the off-side in the Top-4... the Oilers one Adam Larsson injury away from having no RH shot in the Top-4.

So it makes me ask two questions:

1) With the expansion draft and his status, is it an opportune time to try to squeeze a team to sell a RHD for potentially cheaper than normal? We know they tend to come at a premium and rarely move. It might be a unique opportunity that doesn't come around again.

2) Does the overall structure work better if we balance the LH/RH mix in our Top-4, and trade for an equally exciting defenseman that is a right shot, maybe a little more offensive?

I don't know the answer. My first choice is moving RNH for Faulk or a first for Barrie, but I think I'd be at least open and considering the possibility of moving Nurse, for the reasons mentioned above. That said, if they can bring in a Faulk or Barrie AND keep a third pairing of Nurse and Benning for at least the next few years, that is the ideal scenario.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 March 2017 11:42]

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688329 is a reply to message #688328 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 11:39

I'm actually a pretty big fan of Nurse. I wanted them to draft him, and have been happy they did.

Where things start to get tricky for me if where he projects moving forward. Call it the Trouba problem. I don't see him supplanting either Klefbom or Sekera on the left side in the next handful of years... so you are left with either having him on the third pairing (likely expensive and too good for that role), or playing the off-side in the Top-4... the Oilers one Adam Larsson injury away from having no RH shot in the Top-4.

1) With the expansion draft and his status, is it an opportune time to try to squeeze a team to sell a RHD for potentially cheaper than normal? We know they tend to come at a premium and rarely move. It might be a unique opportunity that doesn't come around again.

2) Does the overall structure work better if we balance the LH/RH mix in our Top-4, and trade for an equally exciting defenseman that is a right shot, maybe a little more offensive?

I don't know the answer. My first choice is moving RNH for Faulk or a first for Barrie, but I think I'd be at least open and considering the possibility of moving Nurse, for the reasons mentioned above. That said, if they can bring in a Faulk or Barrie AND keep a third pairing of Nurse and Benning for at least the next few years, that is the ideal scenario.

Let's say the Oilers get one more decent right shot dman. So for next season, they go into it with Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Benning/New guy
Nurse - Benning/New guy

Assuming that Nurse and Benning continue to get better and assuming the new guy is decent, what is stopping the Oilers from rolling out all 3 pairs and splitting the minutes almost equally? I don't see any of say Klefbom or Nurse turning into that clear cut, huge min "#1 guy". Often when a team has one of those "#1's", that guy plays a massive amount - Suter, Doughty, Letang, Keith. Then your bottom 2 play maybe 10 mins a night and your #4 dman plays almost 3rd pairing mins because that top guy is double shifting.

So if you can build a defense core where you have 3 equal pairings that can give you really good mins, maybe you avoid the Trouba problem. You have 6 guys all hovering around 20 mins a night vs one pair playing 15. Maybe you can get into a scenario if they are good enough where 2 guys get the PP time and the other 4 are the PKers. So you aren't tiring out a guy having him play on both the PP and PK.

I just see that if things keep going the way they are, assuming Klefbom continues to get better and better, I see Klefbom, Sekera and Larsson being all real solid 2/3's. Each of them might do one thing slightly better than the other but in general, you put any of those guys out there and you know you are getting real good, reliable mins. Klefbom is the least experienced but I think he's close to be at that level all the time. I think Nurse and Benning could easily get there in a hurry. So the Oilers potentially are missing 1 more right shot to give them what I would call an interchangeable defense.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688339 is a reply to message #688329 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 12:06

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 11:39

Let's say the Oilers get one more decent right shot dman. So for next season, they go into it with Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Benning/New guy
Nurse - Benning/New guy

Assuming that Nurse and Benning continue to get better and assuming the new guy is decent, what is stopping the Oilers from rolling out all 3 pairs and splitting the minutes almost equally? I don't see any of say Klefbom or Nurse turning into that clear cut, huge min "#1 guy". Often when a team has one of those "#1's", that guy plays a massive amount - Suter, Doughty, Letang, Keith. Then your bottom 2 play maybe 10 mins a night and your #4 dman plays almost 3rd pairing mins because that top guy is double shifting.

So if you can build a defense core where you have 3 equal pairings that can give you really good mins, maybe you avoid the Trouba problem. You have 6 guys all hovering around 20 mins a night vs one pair playing 15. Maybe you can get into a scenario if they are good enough where 2 guys get the PP time and the other 4 are the PKers. So you aren't tiring out a guy having him play on both the PP and PK.

I just see that if things keep going the way they are, assuming Klefbom continues to get better and better, I see Klefbom, Sekera and Larsson being all real solid 2/3's. Each of them might do one thing slightly better than the other but in general, you put any of those guys out there and you know you are getting real good, reliable mins. Klefbom is the least experienced but I think he's close to be at that level all the time. I think Nurse and Benning could easily get there in a hurry. So the Oilers potentially are missing 1 more right shot to give them what I would call an interchangeable defense.

Sure makes Russell look expendable huh?
I cringe every time the media trots out that "Oilers should sign Russell for 4 x 4m" line.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688309 is a reply to message #688266 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 18:19

DUFFMAN wrote on Tue, 07 March 2017 09:15

Larsson

I think we'll see a few guys hit the market this summer, partly because of the expansion draft, partly teams looking to shake things up. Guys I could see changing address via trade:

Tyler Myers
Sami Vatanen
Tyson Barrie
Travis Hamonic
Alex Petrovic
Cody Ceci or Marc Methot
Justin Faulk
Karl Alzner

Some are likely only available pre-expansion draft, so if the Oilers don't make a move (likely Nurse or a 1st Rd. Pick for a good one, something less for the others), they likely strike out. I'd put Myers, Vatanen, Petrovic, and Ceci/Methot in this category.

Barrie and Hamonic have been in trade talks for a long time, and with Barrie, Colorado looks poised to sell off most of their assets. He likely could be had, even for picks.

Alzner is a UFA... not sure he makes it to free agency though.

Hamonic, Alzner, and Methot are all kind of redundant after Larsson, IMO. It would be better to add a more dynamic player, basically anyone else on that list.

The player I'm most bullish on is Faulk. I don't really understand why Carolina would move him, but if he is indeed on the block, he's target #1 for me, and ideally you move out a Eberle, or RNH in return.

So basically, I think there are many options to solve it, but it might require going with 4+4 in the expansion draft and moving Nurse. Will be lots of debate if it's worth it.

Beyond that... likely looking at Barrie, maybe Faulk, maybe Alzner. That's about it.

Of that list, the guys of interest to me and I put them in order are Faulk, Vatanen, Barrie, Myers. The contracts of the first 2 being under 5 mill is huge to me as when you have McDavid coming, every dollar counts. But I wouldn't do any trade before the expansion draft. To get one of those guys, you are trading a roster player, probably Eberle or Nuge and most likely it's Nuge because I don't think Eberle has enough value.

So let's say you trade for Faulk. The Canes are loaded on defense with lots of really good young guys either in the NHL are pounding on the door so they don't need any d back but they need forwards and I think they need a center. So the probable package is Nuge and something for Faulk and some bit part. So for the expansion draft, you have to go 4-4-1. So your protection list is now Sekera, Larsson, Faulk, Klefbom. Forwards are Drai, Lucic, Eberle, one of Maroon/Letestu. So now you are going to actually lose someone really good. If Maroon is left, not a chance that the offensively starved Vegas team passes up a dirt cheap, big strong, glue guy that has over 20 goals. If Letestu is there, no way they pass up on a vet right handed center that will score over 15 goals this year, plays on both teams, is good on the dot, a good guy and again signed for dirt cheap. Losing one of those guys would be a HUGE blow to the Oilers. It probably ends up being Letestu because I don't see how you can not protect Maroon. 20 goal scorers that are that big and that physical are hard to get. But the biggest thing is to me its apparent he's a key guy in the room and one of the guys that has helped turn this team around.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688316 is a reply to message #688309 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 08:35

To get one of those guys, you are trading a roster player, probably Eberle or Nuge and most likely it's Nuge because I don't think Eberle has enough value.

I support trading RNH or Eberle for the right piece but not both. Trading one solidifies Drai's role (either 1RW or 2C) but if we trade both we've got a hole.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664016 is a reply to message #663900 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What the heck is going to happen with the salary cap for next year? I saw an article where they were guessing at a tiny cap increase for 16-17, but that was depending on the Canadian dollar being around 80c on average in 2016. We're way below that and still sinking.

Might be a lot of unexpected opportunities with trades this summer. Thank goodness for all the crappy contracts coming off the books. I wonder if the NHL considers giving teams cap relief in the form of another contract buyout not counting against the books or something like that, would let us get rid of Ference.

RHD D will be damn hard to get, but a cap crunch due to the failing Canadian dollar could open up some awesome opportunities.

Saw this recently, players already taking a hit because of the Canadian dollar: http://www.tsn.ca/sliding-loonie-may-hit-nhl-players-within- weeks-1.422272

[Updated on: Thu, 14 January 2016 12:05]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #664035 is a reply to message #664016 ]
Thu, 14 January 2016 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2016 11:59

What the heck is going to happen with the salary cap for next year? I saw an article where they were guessing at a tiny cap increase for 16-17, but that was depending on the Canadian dollar being around 80c on average in 2016. We're way below that and still sinking.

Might be a lot of unexpected opportunities with trades this summer. Thank goodness for all the crappy contracts coming off the books. I wonder if the NHL considers giving teams cap relief in the form of another contract buyout not counting against the books or something like that, would let us get rid of Ference.

RHD D will be damn hard to get, but a cap crunch due to the failing Canadian dollar could open up some awesome opportunities.

Saw this recently, players already taking a hit because of the Canadian dollar: http://www.tsn.ca/sliding-loonie-may-hit-nhl-players-within- weeks-1.422272

I'm not going to shed too many tears for the players. Keep in mind they get paid in US dollars and most of their expenses (at least the ones on Canadian teams or whose off season home is Canada) are in Canadian dollars, so in that sense the low loonie helps them.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #688318 is a reply to message #664035 ]
Wed, 08 March 2017 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I keep hearing the cap will stay flat, no increase. The only reason it has increased over the last few years is the players voted to allow for more escrow. I guess until the players officially decide yes or no, nothing is certain but I keep hearing they won't this time.

For Nuge and Eberle. I am a fan of both of those guys. I really hope they have a good playoff to boost their value but I am of the opinion the Oilers need to get rid of those guys as soon as they can for salary reasons. I have said it many times, I think next season Leon is the second line center. I don't see Nuge being effective as a winger plus the Oilers are loaded on the left side so he's be playing on his off wing. Why it works for Leon to be a right winger is he is sooo good on the backhand. But if Nuge ends up being the 3rd line center, you can't be paying 6 mill for a 3rd line center. I also think the Oilers need to find a cheaper solution to Eberle. If Eberle is rounding into a 20-25 goal man, 6 mill is too much to be paying for that.

I am saying all of this because of McDavid's deal. You have to give McDavid whatever he wants. I am probably dreaming that it will be 9 or less. But they are going to need to free up some money. They have to pay Leon and McDavid so finding cheaper guys in the bottom 6 and potentially Eberle is a must. You don't want to get into a situation where you have to sell off guys like Chicago does for less.

With Nuge having another down year, it is getting dangerously close to him looking like just a 3rd line center. Given his age, I think there are teams that would still see Nuge as a top 6 guy but if things continue, he's going to look more and more like nothing more than a 3rd line center. At 6 mill, that's way too much to pay for a 3rd line center for any team.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 March 2017 10:53]

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #696720 is a reply to message #663900 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Wonder if there is any way we could get our RHD stud out of this big mess of players looking at UFA :) Come on cap, you know you wanna go up 10M after this season.

Аrpon Basu‏ @ArponBasu
The potential UFA class of 2019 on defence is quite something. As in something teams should plan around. (via @CapFriendly)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDWD6fnW0AMg5z9.jpg:large

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #696850 is a reply to message #696720 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

My guess is that no one under the age of 30 hits the market from this group. Either their team resigns them or trades them to someone that will sign them.

Re: How to get a RHD? [message #696862 is a reply to message #696850 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 17:30 Go to previous message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 15:24

My guess is that no one under the age of 30 hits the market from this group. Either their team resigns them or trades them to someone that will sign them.

Thanks to our boy McDavid, the premium names on that list will be looking for 10M+. Karlsson will probably want McDavid money.

Hope the PA is ready for 25% escrow :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Yakupov a Canuck?
Next Topic:Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger...
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca