This day on October 2
Acquired: Reijo Ruotsalainen (1986) Jim Wiemer (1986) Randy Exelby (1989) Dave Manson (1991)
Departed: Don Jackson (1986) Steve Smith (1991) Kent Manderville (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Prophet, Oilly, Oddlot, Adam, stickler, L.Stanley, ETOWN HERO

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Bryzgalov and the media...
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615933]
Sat, 23 November 2013 23:22 Go to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Bored on a Saturday night... so I thought I'd turn to my favourite love/hate relationship for some cheap thrills.

Started watching Bryz interviews on YouTube, and the sad reality is that the media in Philly ate him alive. They picked apart his brutally honest interviews and painted him as a weirdo and made him an outsider. I think the guy has an honest, sincere perspective on the game and his ability to play it. Sometimes he's dynamite... other times not so much; that said, I hope the media don't hammer on him after one bad game, or try to suck him into saying something silly.

They guy is a bit different, however he seems to have a sincere passion for the game and is accountable to his teammates. He doesn't blame others for his failures... he's been very honest and blamed himself when he thinks he isn't up to snuff.

I'm hoping the fans can give this guy a fairly long leash as well. Let him get back into the NHL and dominate like he did a few years ago.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615935 is a reply to message #615933 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

I'm not worried about the fans. For the most part they are a performance based group.

It's the YEG media that has me worried. The usual bit of idiots who call out Hemsky (our best player for over the last decade) cause he isn't big on interviews. But don't give him much credit for his end to end rushes of beauty or his backcheck effort he's had this season.

It's a damned shame, but Yak and Bryz both will get very little leeway just based on their passports from alot of the curmudgeonly old guard.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #616008 is a reply to message #615935 ]
Mon, 25 November 2013 15:43 Go to previous message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Sun, 24 November 2013 01:59

I'm not worried about the fans. For the most part they are a performance based group.

It's the YEG media that has me worried. The usual bit of idiots who call out Hemsky (our best player for over the last decade) cause he isn't big on interviews. But don't give him much credit for his end to end rushes of beauty or his backcheck effort he's had this season.

It's a damned shame, but Yak and Bryz both will get very little leeway just based on their passports from alot of the curmudgeonly old guard.

The real star of that first media scrum with Bryz in Edmonton was Marc Majeau and the hair in the corner. icon_lol

Ever heard of Avrysports.com? If not go check it out.

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615937 is a reply to message #615933 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k is currently online g2k

6 Cups

Prepare to be disappointed.

The MSM are likely sitting there with their bibs on with fork and knife in hand.

Seriously need some new blood in this town regarding the media. I know it's in every city, but these clowns lead the charge here. Affecting public perceptions merely because they don't get the sound bites they want. It's just stupidity in this town.

Limecat Logic

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615938 is a reply to message #615933 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

1 Cup

I genuinely hope that the game he has (I was a vocal proponent of us plucking him up when ANA put him on waivers) had for quite some time is still in him. He's only what, 33? I know it won't happen, but if he is still 90% of the goalie he was before and we can get him signed for 3 years, we'll have the best goalie we've had since Cujo, the best set of forwards we've had since the early 90s, and a shot at something big. I'd rather sign him for 3 yrs @5M per season (if he still has game) than DD for any length of time, for free.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615939 is a reply to message #615938 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Halls Toupee  is currently offline Bryan Halls Toupee

No Cups

I think Bryz can bounce back - if he does, it would be another feather in MacT's cap.

You also have to remember that Philly is a goalie graveyard. There's something about that team that's been killing every goalie after Hextall.

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615947 is a reply to message #615939 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

No Cups

Maybe because Hextall was a psycho.

After 8 years of ineptitude you begin to wonder whose the real schmuck? Them for sucking or me for cheering....... *cracks open bottle of whiskey*.

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615948 is a reply to message #615939 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

Bryan Halls Toupee wrote on Sun, 24 November 2013 14:19

I think Bryz can bounce back - if he does, it would be another feather in MacT's cap.

You also have to remember that Philly is a goalie graveyard. There's something about that team that's been killing every goalie after Hextall.

He "Hexed All" of the Flyers goalies since he left.

doh

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615951 is a reply to message #615948 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k is currently online g2k

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Sun, 24 November 2013 19:28

Bryan Halls Toupee wrote on Sun, 24 November 2013 14:19

He "Hexed All" of the Flyers goalies since he left.

doh

Maybe you should change your avatar to Principe?

Limecat Logic

Re: Bryzgalov and the media... [message #615955 is a reply to message #615933 ]
Sun, 24 November 2013 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haggis  is currently offline haggis

No Cups

Can't remember who it was on Team 1260 (Dreger?) but they said the "media face" of Bryz is what is focused on by the outside world but he covered Philly when Bryz was around. His persona behind the scenes, his "me first" attitude and the distraction he created was far worse than the media element.

Still, everyone gets a second chance in my eyes.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #25)
Next Topic:Steve Macintyre on waivers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca