F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Guerin for Carter
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Guerin for Carter [message #615071]
Fri, 15 November 2013 18:07 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

This day in history - Bill Guerin traded for Anson Carter. Oilers threw in their 2001 first round pick, and got Boston's 1st and second for that year. The pick Boston got ended up 19th overall and was used to select Shaone Morrison who played 480 games. The Oilers got the 13th and 43rd and picked Ales Hemsky and Doug Lynch.

I remember this trade because the Weight/Guerin/Smyth line was lighting it up. Guerin had 22 points in the first 21 games and the line was among the highest scoring in hockey when suddenly the trade happened completely unexpectedly. Kevin Lowe explained the deal as the same thing that had happened in Edmonton for over a decade by then...it was all about Money. Guerin's contract was coming due, and he was in for a big payday.

Still, I remember it being a frustrating day and a hard to accept trade given the way the team had started the year.

Anson Carter wasn't Bill Guerin, but he fit in well at least on that line in his spot scoring 42 points in 61 games. The Oilers made the playoffs that year, but inevitably, they faced the Stars and lost in six games.

Of course, today I'd long for a futile playoff battle versus the Stars. So much better than just sucking year round and stopping in early April.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615083 is a reply to message #615071 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

I remember it vividly as the Sun's front page had Weight and Guerin in Guerin's kitchen, sitting at a regular looking table, wearing blue jeans and t-shirts, and drinking a bottle of beer each, with just a solemn look on their faces. Like they were genuinely upset that they were going to be separated. It definitely made me see them as regular guys, at least in some instances.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615091 is a reply to message #615083 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

I got curious and did a quick search to find the pic I think you are talking about.

http://static.free-conversant.com/jim/guerin_trade.jpg

I started watching the Oilers the season after Weight and Guerin were traded.

Can't remember who was on the first line with Smyth and Carter, but I remember that team being a bunch of nobodies for the most part. I believe they placed 9th that year, but that group did push for the playoffs.

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615098 is a reply to message #615091 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 20:08

I got curious and did a quick search to find the pic I think you are talking about.

Can't remember who was on the first line with Smyth and Carter, but I remember that team being a bunch of nobodies for the most part. I believe they placed 9th that year, but that group did push for the playoffs.

Uhhh...it was Weight.

Weight had one season with Comrie, and then he stepped in to the top line role.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615105 is a reply to message #615098 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 19:31

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 20:08

Uhhh...it was Weight.

Weight had one season with Comrie, and then he stepped in to the top line role.

I said the season after Weight and Guerin were traded, which would have been 2001-2002. Hockeydb says he didn't play with Edmonton that season. Looks like Comrie, he scored 33 goals that year.

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615110 is a reply to message #615091 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

Oddly enough, I remember the picture differently but I will chalk that up to old age and am fairly certain that is the one.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615084 is a reply to message #615071 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 18:07

This day in history - Bill Guerin traded for Anson Carter. Oilers threw in their 2001 first round pick, and got Boston's 1st and second for that year. The pick Boston got ended up 19th overall and was used to select Shaone Morrison who played 480 games. The Oilers got the 13th and 43rd and picked Ales Hemsky and Doug Lynch.

I remember this trade because the Weight/Guerin/Smyth line was lighting it up. Guerin had 22 points in the first 21 games and the line was among the highest scoring in hockey when suddenly the trade happened completely unexpectedly. Kevin Lowe explained the deal as the same thing that had happened in Edmonton for over a decade by then...it was all about Money. Guerin's contract was coming due, and he was in for a big payday.

Still, I remember it being a frustrating day and a hard to accept trade given the way the team had started the year.

Anson Carter wasn't Bill Guerin, but he fit in well at least on that line in his spot scoring 42 points in 61 games. The Oilers made the playoffs that year, but inevitably, they faced the Stars and lost in six games.

Of course, today I'd long for a futile playoff battle versus the Stars. So much better than just sucking year round and stopping in early April.

Doug Lynch. I forgot about him. Lynch and Woywitka where going to be stalwarts of the future on the blue line. Then we got a chance to see them with the Roadrunners and Mathieu Roy played better, and out scored them as well I believe. That was very telling.

Limecat Logic

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615085 is a reply to message #615084 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 19:47

Doug Lynch. I forgot about him. Lynch and Woywitka where going to be stalwarts of the future on the blue line. Then we got a chance to see them with the Roadrunners and Mathieu Roy played better, and out scored them as well I believe. That was very telling.

I liked Mathieu Roy. Very underrated I thought. But concussions did him in I think.

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615114 is a reply to message #615085 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 19:52

g2k wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 19:47

I liked Mathieu Roy. Very underrated I thought. But concussions did him in I think.

I enjoyed the knock kneed defenseman myself.

Very loyal to his team mates. No invites.

Limecat Logic

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615214 is a reply to message #615084 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 07:21 Go to previous message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

I think Lynch got did in by injuries more than the great Roy passing him. He was an AHL all-star at 20 and then a wrist injury got the better of him.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615087 is a reply to message #615071 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Halls Toupee  is currently offline Bryan Halls Toupee

No Cups

Trades like this makes me wish Katz bought the team back in 1997.

Re: Guerin for Carter [message #615089 is a reply to message #615087 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bryan Halls Toupee wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 20:01

Trades like this makes me wish Katz bought the team back in 1997.

I don't know...the Morrisson for Hemsky part really made the deal look a lot better in the long run!

Previous Topic:Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21)
Next Topic:GDT: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca