F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Accountability
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Accountability [message #614505]
Wed, 13 November 2013 03:54 Go to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

As we all I do I wish there was someway to talk to Oilers Management regarding decisions they make, many of which seem like they are made at 3 am while loaded drunk. I swear Rob Ford could do just as good job running this sad excuse for a professional sports team. Let's take a look at questionable moves over the past while:

1) Firing Ralph for no apparent reason, aside from the fact Eakins was available. I actually like Eakins, but I think this sent an ugly message to the dressing room.

2) Failing to pull the trigger on a trade for a goalie over the summer ala Ben Bishop, Bernier, ect.

3)Signing a heap of mediocre defensemen thinking they would suddenly become solid NHL players, I am not including Ference here, I still like that signing.

4) Bringing Smac back. No explanation needed here.

5) Entering the season with Will Freakin Acton on the team.

6) Allowing the same Assistant Coaches and Goalie coaches to stay around FOREVER.

7) Treating your first overall pick like he needs to become a third line checker before a perennial ALLSTAR.

8) When your d lacks toughness and heart, what does one do, logically trade your d with the most heart and toughness duhhhh! Lowe does have 6 rings, why should we question anything he does?

9) Signing Bryz. So, when times and tough, and you are standing neck deep in manure, Oilers management says " let's bring the circus to town to bring spirits up"

10) Sending down a young defence who has played solid hockey for another player that would never see the light of day with anyone club, except maybe Florida...

Well done, Oilers, you deserve a slow freaking clap!

Any other team, any other profession if management made continuos mind boggling decisions there would be accountability, suspensions, fire, layoff what have you. But no, not here. They got a fever and the only cure is more 1st overall picks. Last years 6th wasn't good enough.

I think management should start putting out videos like the NHL does to justify their decisions. Rant over.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Accountability [message #614508 is a reply to message #614505 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Agree with many of your points here... however don't underrate that Belov signing. He looks like he belongs in the NHL.

Oh... and DON'T QUESTION OUR GLORIOUS LEADER! When he was born, a million doves rose in the air at the same moment, and all chirped simultaneously. The deafening sound caused an earthquake and a new mountain range was formed, with permanent rainbows covering them.

Is it any surprise that he has six rings?

[Updated on: Wed, 13 November 2013 06:30]

Re: Accountability [message #614512 is a reply to message #614508 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

The above is a drop in the bucket.

I think you can go back as far as the Comrie debacle when old 6 rings decided that it was more important for him to stick it to Mike Comrie on the way out the door than to make the right hockey decision for the team.

As a result we got Woywitka instead of Perry.

Its pretty much been more of the same every since.

And while Im here they need to nix Oil Change. If you are a laughing stock, complete embarrassment of an organization, you probably dont need to broadcast that fact.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Accountability [message #614515 is a reply to message #614512 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Jay wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 07:56

And while I'm here they need to nix Oil Change. If you are a laughing stock, complete embarrassment of an organization, you probably dont need to broadcast that fact.

I love the Oil Change series, but seeing it these days, it's hard to support such a well made product focusing on a team with lack of accountability and virtually selling every hope and silver lining they can find.

So tragic, by now they were supposed to compete for the playoffs and be a top 15 team. What's Oil change to do? Shut down? Sadly, yes.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Accountability [message #614523 is a reply to message #614505 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 03:54

As we all I do I wish there was someway to talk to Oilers Management regarding decisions they make, many of which seem like they are made at 3 am while loaded drunk. I swear Rob Ford could do just as good job running this sad excuse for a professional sports team. Let's take a look at questionable moves over the past while:

1) Firing Ralph for no apparent reason, aside from the fact Eakins was available. I actually like Eakins, but I think this sent an ugly message to the dressing room.

2) Failing to pull the trigger on a trade for a goalie over the summer ala Ben Bishop, Bernier, ect.

3)Signing a heap of mediocre defensemen thinking they would suddenly become solid NHL players, I am not including Ference here, I still like that signing.

4) Bringing Smac back. No explanation needed here.

5) Entering the season with Will Freakin Acton on the team.

6) Allowing the same Assistant Coaches and Goalie coaches to stay around FOREVER.

7) Treating your first overall pick like he needs to become a third line checker before a perennial ALLSTAR.

8) When your d lacks toughness and heart, what does one do, logically trade your d with the most heart and toughness duhhhh! Lowe does have 6 rings, why should we question anything he does?

9) Signing Bryz. So, when times and tough, and you are standing neck deep in manure, Oilers management says " let's bring the circus to town to bring spirits up"

10) Sending down a young defence who has played solid hockey for another player that would never see the light of day with anyone club, except maybe Florida...

Well done, Oilers, you deserve a slow freaking clap!

Any other team, any other profession if management made continuos mind boggling decisions there would be accountability, suspensions, fire, layoff what have you. But no, not here. They got a fever and the only cure is more 1st overall picks. Last years 6th wasn't good enough.

I think management should start putting out videos like the NHL does to justify their decisions. Rant over.

I agree that accountability has been lacking. This team has made grievous error after grievous error, and then passed it off as what they meant to do.

I think I would run tangential to some of your points though. Regarding goalie trades, fine that they tried, fine that they felt other teams were asking too much. Tampa paid a high price for Bishop (and we didn't have anyone equivalent to Conacher to give up), New Jersey a high price for Schneider (and Vancouver didn't want to trade him to Edmonton - who lit them up like a Christmas tree in the last game of the regular season last year). Where my big issue is on the goalie front, is broadcasting the moves that didn't happen. There was no need to tell everyone that you tried to trade Ryan Jones for Bishop. There was no need to let the world know we made proposals for a couple goalies. To me, that was an unnecessary slap at the goalie they already had, who had posted decent numbers last year. I'm of the school of thought that you build up your goalie, not do things to shake his confidence. I think MacTavish isn't great at handling goalies though. The Oilers were almost always in a goalie crisis mode through his time here. Salo struggled one year, so we had Conklin nipping at his heels and a lot of vocal pressure on Salo to either regain his form or else - despite the team knowing he was going through a lot off the ice at the same time. 2006 saw the goalie carousel where the team carried three guys all year and no one got any confidence until Roloson came in and shone. Even Roloson was punted aside after a shaky start only two seasons later, surrendering the crease for much of that year to Mathieu Garon. If there's a real blind spot for MacTavish, it's in how to handle goaltenders.

With defence, I don't actually mind that he signed a bunch, especially since we've been able to shuffle them back and forth to the minors without any obstacles. It would have been good to have a top end guy, but they're hard to come by. Teams don't tend to give them away. Ference has been only okay at best and for all his talk about needing to limit mistakes, he's made some pretty awful ones too. Belov's been a decent signing. I'm still not sure that a system that calls for both defencemen to head to the corner to get the puck is a good idea. I think it exposes the front of the net needlessly and the Oilers have been burned so many times on it...it makes all the defencemen look like idiots, because they're no where near the guy in the most dangerous spot on the ice.

With Yakupov, I don't mind them trying to work on his defensive game, but I do think the patronizing comments in the media by Eakins are heard by the players. When he says he benched Yakupov for the final ten minutes in case something bad happens? That says he has no confidence in him being able to not cough up a goal against. I am not surprised that Larionov and Yakupov feel he doesn't have the trust of the coach after that. We've seen Eakins talk down about his players all season when addressing the media, and I don't think Yakupov will be the last player to find that grating. These guys are professionals. Don't embarrass them.

Bryzgalov? I'm going to hold out judgement. I don't care if he's crazy. I kind of like my goalies a little crazy, and there's some sense in a lot of what he says. It IS cold in Edmonton. Winnipeg is not appealing to anyone not from Manitoba. The universe is large and hockey games are insignificant in the big picture. Bears can be a little scary. The guy has a sense of humour but the media prefers to use quotes to start controversy. They did the same thing with Dustin Penner and his dry humour here, making stories out of things he said with tongue firmly in cheek. LaBarbera has been the worst of the three goalies we've seen this year by far, so replacing him with Bryzgalov doesn't bother me. My only concern with Bryz is that this town's media HAS to be worse than the media in Philly. They'll be sticking a microphone in his face every chance they get and trying to get some soundbite that they can twist in to a story.

As for Potter, according to Jonathan Willis, who's watching all the OKC games, he's been very good down there, the best of any defenceman. Decent scoring chance numbers, decent Corsi. I will reserve judgement until we see him play. I have not thought that Potter was particularly bad at any point in his two seasons in Edmonton. Not a star, but a decent 6th defenceman, occasionally made worse by having to play with a diminishing Ryan Whitney.

ETA: Agreed completely on Oil Change. Even the players must be completely embarrassed to see the cameras following them around again as they suck their way through each year.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Accountability [message #614528 is a reply to message #614505 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

Agree with the need for accountability but this one's really stretching things. Yak has been given many opportunities with top six guys this year and has consistently looked lost. A lot of why he is at the bottom of the league in +/- is because Eakins didn't shelter him.

I hate the way they've handled the whole situation with Yak, but he's clearly a guy who has a lot to learn, and I don't think it's accurate at all to say they've tried to make him into a third line checker. Kid has sublime talent, but you can't do what he keeps trying to do at the NHL level and have success.

Edit to add that your point about accountability should apply to Yak as well.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 November 2013 09:40]

Re: Accountability [message #614532 is a reply to message #614528 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

rukm01 wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 09:38

Agree with the need for accountability but this one's really stretching things. Yak has been given many opportunities with top six guys this year and has consistently looked lost. A lot of why he is at the bottom of the league in +/- is because Eakins didn't shelter him.

I hate the way they've handled the whole situation with Yak, but he's clearly a guy who has a lot to learn, and I don't think it's accurate at all to say they've tried to make him into a third line checker. Kid has sublime talent, but you can't do what he keeps trying to do at the NHL level and have success.

Edit to add that your point about accountability should apply to Yak as well.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'd prefer to see him get sheltered minutes. If you're worried about his defensive game, you can't put him out with Eberle and Gagner against the other team's best players and expect anything BUT a -4 night.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Accountability [message #614537 is a reply to message #614505 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

1 Cup

I think overall the identity of this team is in flux. More skill, nope more toughness, leaderships flawed, nope defensive depth, nope goalie depth.

Problem is in the middle of all this your stars aren't playing to their potential, team play is lacking and the overall mood is grim.

Accountability has to start from the top and right to the players. At no time has all of the associated parties been on the same page. There are too many passengers on this bus with no real apparent driver.

Good teams have a direction. Good teams has everybody on the same page. With this current makeup (management and coaches included) i cant see this team moving forward, even with a new goalie.

It's funny how the only player that was talking about accountability within the room and that things were gonna change was traded a couple days later. Ironic? Conspiracy?

Adam wrote

Maybe it's fitting to have found religion in the room because on most nights this team doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Accountability [message #614543 is a reply to message #614537 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

ronster wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 10:07

It's funny how the only player that was talking about accountability within the room and that things were gonna change was traded a couple days later. Ironic? Conspiracy?

Except that he wasn't the only guy. Ference for one regularly says what he should. I've heard others say the right things too.

But I'm done with giving points for talk. That's all we've had is talk. This organization is long on talk and no follow up action. I wish they'd all shut up, from management and on down, roll up their sleeves, and actually do something.

And of course as soon as I type this I remember we just signed the most weirdly outspoken player in recent memory. icon_dead

Re: Accountability [message #614545 is a reply to message #614537 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ronster wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 10:07

I think overall the identity of this team is in flux. More skill, nope more toughness, leaderships flawed, nope defensive depth, nope goalie depth.

Problem is in the middle of all this your stars aren't playing to their potential, team play is lacking and the overall mood is grim.

Accountability has to start from the top and right to the players. At no time has all of the associated parties been on the same page. There are too many passengers on this bus with no real apparent driver.

Good teams have a direction. Good teams has everybody on the same page. With this current makeup (management and coaches included) i cant see this team moving forward, even with a new goalie.

Well, I do think the team has done a terrible job at building the team's fragile psyche. They have told veterans in the past year that they're not moving up the roster no matter what they do. They've leaked names involved in trade talks. They've leaked who they chased in free agency and trades, leaving it obvious to certain players which guys they wanted to replace. They've said they don't want players who are under contract and then failed at trading them, leading to the whole MacT turn-around on Hemsky. They not just gave the captaincy to Ference, but then felt the need to explain to the media why they didn't give it to Hall, creating a story that didn't need to be created and making it so that Hall has to go out and say he agrees he's not ready to lead the team. They've mishandled Yakupov to the point where he's miserable and not enjoying hockey - which he absolutely loves. They've thrown players just off injury to the wolves, asking them to play huge minutes in tough match-ups.

Maybe it's time that the younger guys carried the heavy loads here, but there's been no mercy on them in games where it's clear they're struggling with it.

Everyone's confidence looks shot right now.

Re: Accountability [message #614699 is a reply to message #614505 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PunkInDrublic  is currently offline PunkInDrublic

No Cups

Middle of November... A long, cold winter ahead and I'm done watching this team.

Please, for the love of all the hockey gods, please let the Oilers play in front of a completely empty barn. Make a statement fans.

I can't afford to go to games, so all I have is not watching or pvring. Sadly it won't be enough.

Resign KLowe (you self righteous prck). Cut the head off this snake and start fresh.

I'm done son. Enough is enough. Barring a major trade or resignation, I'll see you all next year.

Re: Accountability [message #614700 is a reply to message #614699 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

PunkInDrublic wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 22:59

Middle of November... A long, cold winter ahead and I'm done watching this team.

Please, for the love of all the hockey gods, please let the Oilers play in front of a completely empty barn. Make a statement fans.

I can't afford to go to games, so all I have is not watching or pvring. Sadly it won't be enough.

Resign KLowe (you self righteous prck). Cut the head off this snake and start fresh.

I'm done son. Enough is enough. Barring a major trade or resignation, I'll see you all next year.

Yeah, it's pointless to ask for accountability from the team when it's not coming from *everywhere*, such as at the top of the pyramid. This team is a joke.

The typical Oil fan after a game:
http://i.imgur.com/FddGWAw.gif

Re: Accountability [message #614734 is a reply to message #614700 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Lowe should have got the boot after the Comrie antics. That poisoned the team for a lot of players and its only been a downhill run on player management since then. Yes Lowe got Pronger and Peca but both were gone quickly....maybe they were worried he wanted his money back.

There is no accountability. That starts with the owner. He has to see this as an asset and not a friendship club for him and the old dynasty.

If I'm Katz.....I'm embarrassed and want to make a change like Buffalo did.

I would like to be the first to thank Kevin Lowe for the lost decade....

Re: Accountability [message #614736 is a reply to message #614700 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 01:33 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Everyone wants to vent and demand action. But nothing is going to happen unless it's another sacrificial lamb.

You just have to laugh at Katz. He bought this team to build a winner, and he's ended up looking like a wiener.

Paying millions in salary to a bunch of lazy kids who have guaranteed contracts who show zero pride.

Paying millions to incompetent management so he could be their best buddy.

Sucked into a carousel of player and staff turn over while the same idiots who are wrecking the team stay. Meanwhile, ex players go on to have better careers elsewhere.

Now he's got a devoted fan base turning on him and becoming apathetic.

Dude is a billionaire, but as a sports owner he can't even tie his own shoe laces.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:MacT Press Conf - Krueger Fired
Next Topic:GDT: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #20)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca