F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607689]
Sun, 29 September 2013 09:32 Go to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

Per a team tweet: #Oilers have placed forward Ryan Hamilton and defenceman Philip Larsen on waivers this morning.

That's quite…surprising. Almost as if they're both hoping they go unclaimed (obviously), but also hoping that there might be better options on the wire today.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607691 is a reply to message #607689 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Wait.. What? So Hamilton DIDN'T beat Jones for a position here?!

I think hmc is onto something..

[Updated on: Sun, 29 September 2013 23:13]

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607692 is a reply to message #607689 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

I liked Hamilton as a 13th forward. Fit my expectation for that position quite well. But I can live with it.

Not happy at all about seeing Larsen on waivers though. Thoroughly impressed me during training camp... Small, but very smart and effective. If this is to create room for Grebeshkov, I'll be really upset. If we lose him to waivers (real possibility), I think it's a mistake. Not happy.

This team is so hard to cheer for sometimes.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607695 is a reply to message #607692 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nerdkore  is currently offline Nerdkore

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 09:40

I liked Hamilton as a 13th forward. Fit my expectation for that position quite well. But I can live with it.

Not happy at all about seeing Larsen on waivers though. Thoroughly impressed me during training camp... Small, but very smart and effective. If this is to create room for Grebeshkov, I'll be really upset. If we lose him to waivers (real possibility), I think it's a mistake. Not happy.

This team is so hard to cheer for sometimes.

I think it was Belov that beat him out in camp not Grebeshkov. Grebeshkov is also injured at the moment.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m574/Adam_YC/temp-2.png

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607693 is a reply to message #607689 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

This is probably the only day that Larsen could get through on waivers. I hope he clears. I liked his play in training camp as well.

Dropping Hamilton indicates to me that the Oilers expect to pick up another forward off the waiver wire.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 September 2013 09:53]

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607696 is a reply to message #607693 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PunkInDrublic  is currently offline PunkInDrublic

No Cups

So there's got to be a move coming, or one has already been made. Aren't we 1 winger short now?

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607697 is a reply to message #607696 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nerdkore  is currently offline Nerdkore

No Cups

PunkInDrublic wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 09:54

So there's got to be a move coming, or one has already been made. Aren't we 1 winger short now?

Joensuu-Gordon-Yakopov
Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Eager-Acton-Brown

Stauffer tweeted those lines this morning. Forwards look ok, seems like the team just isn't carrying any extras.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m574/Adam_YC/temp-2.png

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607726 is a reply to message #607697 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

Nerdkore wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 10:02

Joensuu-Gordon-Yakopov
Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Eager-Acton-Brown

Stauffer tweeted those lines this morning. Forwards look ok, seems like the team just isn't carrying any extras.

No, I think we're still one winger short.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607698 is a reply to message #607696 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If MacIntyre goes on the IR and Hamilton and Larsen clear and go to OKC, I think we have an active roster of 12 forwards and 6 defensemen. So three below the limit.

Expect more. I'm just no longer convinced we can expect better. We'll see.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607724 is a reply to message #607689 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/09/29/edmonton-oilers- waive-philip-larsen-and-ryan-hamilton/

With a number of the Oilers’ injuries not expected to be long-term, waiving Larsen and Hamilton now could allow Edmonton to demote them to the minors later without being forced to expose them to waivers. Article 13.2 (b) of the new CBA sets out the rules: as long as a month hasn’t passed and a player has played fewer than 10 NHL games since clearing waivers last, he can be demoted to the minors at any time without needing to clear waivers again. With re-entry waivers a thing of the past, assuming the two clear today the Oilers can stash them in the minors at some point in the next month and recall them whenever they’re needed.

If it works, it's good contract management but if Larsen gets claimed, it'll be a bad bet that we lost.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607725 is a reply to message #607724 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

v4ance wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 11:49

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/09/29/edmonton-oilers- waive-philip-larsen-and-ryan-hamilton/

With a number of the Oilers’ injuries not expected to be long-term, waiving Larsen and Hamilton now could allow Edmonton to demote them to the minors later without being forced to expose them to waivers. Article 13.2 (b) of the new CBA sets out the rules: as long as a month hasn’t passed and a player has played fewer than 10 NHL games since clearing waivers last, he can be demoted to the minors at any time without needing to clear waivers again. With re-entry waivers a thing of the past, assuming the two clear today the Oilers can stash them in the minors at some point in the next month and recall them whenever they’re needed.

If it works, it's good contract management but if Larsen gets claimed, it'll be a bad bet that we lost.

Re-entry waivers are gone?

I need to read the new CBA.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607733 is a reply to message #607725 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 11:52

While you were talking out of your butt, I've only posted 4-5 articles or referenced the deletion of the re-entry waivers process in the past 3 months, so no reason for you to have noticed.

The ideal solution for the Oilers is that the 2 players pass through waivers by tomorrow and remain property of the team. If the Oilers make another waiver claim, one or both can be sent down to OKC immediately. If no waiver claims are made by Edmonton, they can keep both players with the big club for the 10 game NHL maximum and send them down later once a few bodies come off the IR.

Hamilton's waiver will be directly related to RNH's return. Until the Nuge is ready, Hamilton will occupy RNH's active roster spot either in the lineup or as a healthy scratch.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607747 is a reply to message #607733 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

v4ance wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 12:40

Magnum wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 11:52

While you were talking out of your butt, I've only posted 4-5 articles or referenced the deletion of the re-entry waivers process in the past 3 months, so no reason for you to have noticed.

Seems harsh dude.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607745 is a reply to message #607724 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

v4ance wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 15:19

So, what you're saying is that this is actually a smart gamble. Teams less likely to pick someone up today with their own roster decisions to make. And we all know that lots of teams are having to make some tough decisions.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607748 is a reply to message #607745 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 13:22

So, what you're saying is that this is actually a smart gamble. Teams less likely to pick someone up today with their own roster decisions to make. And we all know that lots of teams are having to make some tough decisions.

Except that looking at the waiver wire, Larsen looks to me to be close to the best option on the waiver wire today, and at an affordable rate. It will be interesting to see if he clears.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607750 is a reply to message #607748 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 13:31

Hibernia wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 13:22

Except that looking at the waiver wire, Larsen looks to me to be close to the best option on the waiver wire today, and at an affordable rate. It will be interesting to see if he clears.

For Larsen to be claimed, he has to be better than most teams' current #6-7 D or he is cheaper than those D-men.

The team that I'm most worried about is the Florida Panthers. If Gilbert is in the first pair, that indicates that they could use some help.

Harvey Fialkov ‏@hfialkov

Wouldnt be shocked if Panthers didn't bring back D TJ Brennan who was waived. Kid did well last year, big shot too. or D Jeff Schultz, he of plus-50 fame a few years ago, and D Jean-Michael Liles, a solid defender. #FlaPanthers

[Updated on: Sun, 29 September 2013 13:45]

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607778 is a reply to message #607750 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

v4ance wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 17:10

The team that I'm most worried about is the Florida Panthers. If Gilbert is in the first pair, that indicates that they could use some help.

...and then they go out and sign Ryan Whitney! That might help keep their paws away from Larsen.

But, I wonder if the Oilers really care. From all indications, Larsen was the price the Oilers had to pay in order for the Stars to take on Horcoff's dollars. He might be like found money to them. If it gets 'em something good, great. If they blow it and end up with nothing to show for it, oh well, no worse off.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607780 is a reply to message #607778 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 20:53

But, I wonder if the Oilers really care. From all indications, Larsen was the price the Oilers had to pay in order for the Stars to take on Horcoff's dollars. He might be like found money to them. If it gets 'em something good, great. If they blow it and end up with nothing to show for it, oh well, no worse off.

I wonder this too, but I really, really hope it isn't the case. That is a terrible attitude to carry.

If a good player falls in your lap, you thank your lucky stars and play him. You should be icing the best lineup you can, regardless of who drafted who, who traded for who, who coached who... it doesn't matter. Dress the best players.

And everything I've seen Larsen > Grebeshkov or Potter.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607795 is a reply to message #607780 ]
Mon, 30 September 2013 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 30 September 2013 00:52

Hibernia wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 20:53

I wonder this too, but I really, really hope it isn't the case. That is a terrible attitude to carry.

If a good player falls in your lap, you thank your lucky stars and play him. You should be icing the best lineup you can, regardless of who drafted who, who traded for who, who coached who... it doesn't matter. Dress the best players.

And everything I've seen Larsen > Grebeshkov or Potter.

Whether he should be on waivers due to place in the line-up is a whole other matter.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607779 is a reply to message #607748 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 17:01

Except that looking at the waiver wire, Larsen looks to me to be close to the best option on the waiver wire today, and at an affordable rate.

How many times have us experts been sure someone was going to be claimed on the waiver wire and they passed peacefully onto the minors? A lot, I betcha. While I saw a few people suggest yesterday that we would indeed pick up Gadzic, many more were sure it would be one of the other four named players. Yet 29 teams passed on all these players. It wouldn't shock me if everyone passed on through tomorrow.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607735 is a reply to message #607689 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 09:32

Per a team tweet: #Oilers have placed forward Ryan Hamilton and defenceman Philip Larsen on waivers this morning.

That's quite…surprising. Almost as if they're both hoping they go unclaimed (obviously), but also hoping that there might be better options on the wire today.

It does seem strange. Does that mean MacIntyre isn't on IR right now? Is Grebeshkov or Potter being reactivated?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607808 is a reply to message #607689 ]
Mon, 30 September 2013 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 47s

Everyone else on waivers yesterday cleared today.

Van claimed Stanton from Chicago and that's it.

Larsen is clear!

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607810 is a reply to message #607808 ]
Mon, 30 September 2013 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

v4ance wrote on Mon, 30 September 2013 10:06

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 47s

Everyone else on waivers yesterday cleared today.

Van claimed Stanton from Chicago and that's it.

Larsen is clear!

Now it will be interesting to see if either are assigned. I could see them both staying up, since MacIntyre's off to the IR.

Re: Larsen and Hamilton on Waivers [message #607828 is a reply to message #607689 ]
Mon, 30 September 2013 11:04 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers

#Oilers have assigned forward Ryan Hamilton and defenceman Philip Larsen to the AHL's @OKCBarons.

Hmm. Maybe Grebs and RNH are closer to returning than was reported.

Previous Topic:Nuge contract done!!!!
Next Topic:Final preseason game: Oilers vs Stars in OKC
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca