This day on August 23
Departed: Micah Aivazoff (1995) Boyd Devereaux (2000)

Happy Birthday To: Pseudoreality, Marc the Habs Fan, Gaprider, NotLeeFogolin, jubes23

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Gilbert Brule return?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Gilbert Brule return? [message #604067]
Wed, 17 July 2013 00:08 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Word is Brule has sorted out his life and is looking to get back in the NHL.

Province's story: http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=8668967

OilersNation/Brownlee take: http://oilersnation.com/2013/7/16/gilbert-brule-encore

We aren't exactly bursting at the seems with 3rd liners, so I'd give him a short term shot.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604072 is a reply to message #604067 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner is currently online mightyreasoner

2 Cups

I'll admit: I am pulling for Brule big time. Just a really good guy and a class act who's had to fight through some things. Hoping like crazy that he rebuilds his NHL career, and would love to see him be successful in doing that here in Edmonton.

He actually might be a really good fit for the 4C position. Unlike last time when the Oilers were relying on him to be a a Top-6 forward, Brule might bring an awful lot of what the Oilers need right now - some support for Gordon, a guy that plays with a physical edge, doesn't get dominated out there, and can chip in some offense here and there. I think it's fair to say that Brule might be able to bring these elements, certainly moreso than Lander or especially Arcobello.

I, for one, would be more than happy to give him an invite to camp.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604074 is a reply to message #604067 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc  is currently offline Marc

1 Cup

I say yes, I liked what he brought his first couple of years, exactly the type of player we need. He is still fairly young, and could give us some good years in the bottom six with the ability to fill in higher up temporarily.

The perfect player to play in bottom 6, gritty player that will drop the gloves from time to time. Hope MacT can get something done to get him to camp.

"Third? Not third in the West, either? Overall? I think that... well. marijuana's legal in some areas." Whitney on Oilers being ranked #3 by SI

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604081 is a reply to message #604074 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

1 Cup

As much as I like Brule, I'd say pass.

With the injuries, weird sickness and other stuff over the years I cant see the Oilers taking a flyer on him again.

In the article it stated his personal issues arose when he was with the Oilers and, even though he lets them off the hook, he does mention the Oilers were rushing to get him back in the lineup.

I cant see him wanting to come back here either but you never know. A chance to play in the NHL again....

Nice guy but no thanks.

Adam wrote

Maybe it's fitting to have found religion in the room because on most nights this team doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604082 is a reply to message #604081 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

ronster wrote on Wed, 17 July 2013 09:35

As much as I like Brule, I'd say pass.

With the injuries, weird sickness and other stuff over the years I cant see the Oilers taking a flyer on him again.

In the article it stated his personal issues arose when he was with the Oilers and, even though he lets them off the hook, he does mention the Oilers were rushing to get him back in the lineup.

I cant see him wanting to come back here either but you never know. A chance to play in the NHL again....

Nice guy but no thanks.

This guy reeks of a tryout, could be the fourth line centre we need. Could be another wasted expense on the Katz pocket book, then again, they did get rid of the Horcoff.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604083 is a reply to message #604074 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

Thanks for sharing some of those videos.

That hit on Letang is absolutely glorious.

Oiler Fan For Life.

v4ance wrote on Tue, 06 August 2013 in response to rjayd2

If Adam was a GM, he'd be Ken Holland to your Mike Milbury

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604084 is a reply to message #604067 ]
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

Watch him end up in Anaheim, on a line with Penner and Cogliano

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604085 is a reply to message #604067 ]
RankinSpankin  is currently offline RankinSpankin

No Cups

No harm in a camp invite. He would be motivated ...

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604089 is a reply to message #604085 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dfavel99  is currently offline dfavel99

No Cups

watching those videos made me remember some of the horrible lineups the Oilers would ice.

Im all for giving him a tryout, whats the worse that can come of that right?

Oil Fan Since The Days Of The Great One!

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604090 is a reply to message #604067 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

It's a free look to see what he can actually bring.

I totally would give him a tryout.

Here Come the Oilers™ icon_rolleyes

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604092 is a reply to message #604090 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 17 July 2013 10:32

It's a free look to see what he can actually bring.

I totally would give him a tryout.

While I think the team should always be open to camp tryouts, I don't see why the player would agree to that, especially if there is any bitterness about Edmonton basically just telling him "take the pills" when he was dealing with his depression.

As much as he's saying the right things, I always wondered if Patrick O'Sullivan was ever really right given all the things he went through, and I wonder if Brule may be in a similar situation. It always has the potential to be a distraction to him. It sucks, and it's not how a parent should be...but they'll never fully get rid of that parent while they're still above ground.

If the goal is to get more productive in the bottom-six, then Brule could be a fit. He does have some offensive abilities, although I am not brining him in as a center because while he's good at draws, he was poor at coverage when he played the middle and he repeatedly said that he's more comfortable on the wing.

If the goal is to get bigger in our bottom six, then Brule isn't the answer. He's another sub-6 feet guy. Honestly, I'm not overly fussed about size, but it does seem to be something that the Edmonton media is fussed about, and I expect that even as they write articles supporting bringing him back, they'll suddenly notice his Lilliputian ways the second he signed with the team. If the Oilers brain trust doesn't like criticism (and we know they don't), then he's probably not the right project to gamble on this summer.

And as I said, if I'm Brule, the only way I come to Edmonton is if the team puts an NHL contract in front of him. I don't come as training camp fodder.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604136 is a reply to message #604067 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

If Brule can get his head straight, and focused on hockey, he'd be perfect as a 3rd or 4th line center. Plays physical, has hands, speed, likes to hit, goes to the front of the net. If he can get his old man out of his life, and with Eakins as coach providing some guidance, and pressing the right buttons, he'll be a success. He looked distracted, and lacked confidence at the end of his time here.

Kid was an all-star with the Giants, played great inspired hockey, a team leader. I think it could be a very cheap way to fill a hole on the roster, low risk, low cost.

They should give it a try, can't be any worse than Lander.
Brule is only 26, a year older than Perron.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604139 is a reply to message #604136 ]
Wed, 17 July 2013 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 17 July 2013 21:00

with Eakins as coach providing some guidance

Didn't think of that angle. Sign him up!

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604147 is a reply to message #604139 ]
Thu, 18 July 2013 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
belle88  is currently offline belle88

No Cups

No harm with inviting him to camp. If he gets in a few preseason games and does fairly well other teams will notice as well.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604149 is a reply to message #604147 ]
Thu, 18 July 2013 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

belle88 wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 08:41

No harm with inviting him to camp. If he gets in a few preseason games and does fairly well other teams will notice as well.

So let's say Brule gets a few invitations to come out and provide training camp fodder for teams. What attracts him to choose Edmonton (where we tossed him on the trash heap) over any of the others, considering that while he's risking his health coming in to camp, he's getting only a per diem?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604151 is a reply to message #604149 ]
Thu, 18 July 2013 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner is currently online mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 08:43

So let's say Brule gets a few invitations to come out and provide training camp fodder for teams. What attracts him to choose Edmonton (where we tossed him on the trash heap) over any of the others, considering that while he's risking his health coming in to camp, he's getting only a per diem?

I'm pretty sure his girlfriend works for CTV Edmonton, so there's that. I also didn't really sense any bitterness to the Oilers organization, so much as he was explaining the situation. With my limited view, I'd put Vancouver and Edmonton as his top two choices.

It actually sounded to me like all he was expecting was a camp invite, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind a one-year deal. Goodness knows, he's better than a lot if the Bittom-6 guys we currently have under contract.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604152 is a reply to message #604151 ]
Thu, 18 July 2013 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 11:05

I'm pretty sure his girlfriend works for CTV Edmonton, so there's that. I also didn't really sense any bitterness to the Oilers organization, so much as he was explaining the situation. With my limited view, I'd put Vancouver and Edmonton as his top two choices.

It actually sounded to me like all he was expecting was a camp invite, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind a one-year deal. Goodness knows, he's better than a lot if the Bittom-6 guys we currently have under contract.

According to her Twitter account they broke up (don't ask why or how I know that, because I don't know).

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604153 is a reply to message #604149 ]
Thu, 18 July 2013 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 08:43

Three reasons he might want to try it out:

1. We need a 4C, and apparently have no other options
2. He was tossed by more than one team including a team in a second tier of hockey, so he probably blames his failure on himself more than the Oilers or Coyotes
3. Management could make overtures that would make him comfortable, the MacGrease has worked before.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604154 is a reply to message #604153 ]
Thu, 18 July 2013 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 12:21

This. Brule is not big, but he plays huge. Like a Mike Peca. He's very good on faceoffs. Has some hands and offensive potential.

If he would be up for it, I think he would be a perfect 4th liner - at only 26 he would fit in nicely with the group here, and he would be cheap.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #604159 is a reply to message #604154 ]
Thu, 18 July 2013 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 09:31

Magnum wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 12:21

This. Brule is not big, but he plays huge. Like a Mike Peca. He's very good on faceoffs. Has some hands and offensive potential.

If he would be up for it, I think he would be a perfect 4th liner - at only 26 he would fit in nicely with the group here, and he would be cheap.

Except that other being good at faceoffs, he isn't a centre. He's repeatedly said that he's not as comfortable playing the middle compared to the wing, and he was worse than Sam Gagner of a couple years ago at defensive coverage whenever put in the pivot position. He played the bulk of his time here last go-around at the wing and I would expect if he DID come back, he'd likely be there again. Not that that isn't an area of need for us as well...

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #619630 is a reply to message #604159 ]
Wed, 01 January 2014 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brule-tells-coyotes-hes-r etiring-from-hockey/
...read the other day he was suspended for not reporting to the AHL.

I hope he does well here in the real world. Firemen are pretty important to our world;hope Brule makes the cut with whichever fire department he wants to be a part of.

Re: Gilbert Brule return? [message #619633 is a reply to message #619630 ]
Wed, 01 January 2014 17:23 Go to previous message

6 Cups

"That's too bad." doesn't sound appropriate. Would have loved it if he had found more success in hockey, but ain't nothing wrong with choosing a different path.

Good luck Brule! And if you are a firefighter then hopefully never see you on a professional basis. Hahaha

Previous Topic:MacT should fire Eakins brings in Cory Clouston
Next Topic:Ideas for trades... anything at all
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca