This day on September 1
Acquired: Danny Gare (1986) Jozef Cierny (1993)
Departed: Craig Simpson (1993) Ian Herbers (1999)

Happy Birthday To: Stainless, speeds, vintage_oil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Arcobello re-signed for one year
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Arcobello re-signed for one year [message #600735]
Fri, 14 June 2013 16:20 Go to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

The title says it all.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674033&navid=DL|E DM|home

I wonder if the (apparently) imminent departures of Horcoff and Belanger made Arcobello feel he may have a chance with the Oilers. I'm sure most here won't be too excited about another small forward, but he did have a fantastic year in OKC.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Arcobello re-signed for one year [message #600736 is a reply to message #600735 ]
Fri, 14 June 2013 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

1 Cup

Nothing to be excited about. But he is a centre and MacT wants more depth at the position. He'll play in the AHL, and will possibly be called up if there are injuries.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Arcobello re-signed for one year [message #600737 is a reply to message #600736 ]
Fri, 14 June 2013 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 14 June 2013 15:40

Nothing to be excited about. But he is a centre and MacT wants more depth at the position. He'll play in the AHL, and will possibly be called up if there are injuries.

Exactly. Though I do like it as a depth signing. I know we're in for a ton of turnover this off season, but I would like to see key AHL pieces stay so the development team isn't all last minute hashed together and can focus on staying successful.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Arcobello re-signed for one year [message #600738 is a reply to message #600737 ]
Fri, 14 June 2013 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

This signing suggests that he's somewhat unflappable, probably can be flapped a bit, so not worth a multi-year or one way deal.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Arcobello re-signed for one year [message #600739 is a reply to message #600736 ]
Fri, 14 June 2013 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 14 June 2013 16:40

Honestly, I think it's a good sign if the Oilers aren't letting a skilled player go simply because he's not 6'4. I have expressed before a worry that the team is so convinced it needs a Lucic-type that they might ignore players who aren't that type to their detriment and I'd prefer to see us in no hurry to rid ourselves of guys like Arcobello and Rajala simply based on size.

I think it's safe to say that Calgary could have used Martin St. Louis over the last 15 years after they made a decision based on his size and in spite of some impressive AHL numbers. Not saying either of those guys is another St. Louis, but I'd like us to have a better idea if they are before casting them loose.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Arcobello re-signed for one year [message #600741 is a reply to message #600735 ]
Fri, 14 June 2013 19:28 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

The more I think about this, the more I could see Arcobello sticking with the Oilers next year, or at least starting.

I don't think the Oilers should be banking on Arcobello as a guy in their Top-12, but as a 13th or 14th forward, he might be a really good fit. A centre (which you ideally want an extra one of), a guy who can play up and down the lineup and provide a little scoring depth. Entering training camp at 25, he's not necessarily going to hurt his development moving up to the NHL, especially since he's accomplished a lot already at the AHL level. I'd rather he play here next year than Anton Lander.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm glad the Oilers signed him and I could see him in Edmonton next year.

Previous Topic:Caption This! Eakins!
Next Topic:Oil Change Season 3
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca