This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600429]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:39 Go to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Might as well start a new thread for this. Press conference on now.

To me it sounds like MacT was openly screwing around on Krueger

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600430 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

I'd like to see MacT make it one minute without dropping a one liner about his relationship with the media.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600431 is a reply to message #600430 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 13:41

I'd like to see MacT make it one minute without dropping a one liner about his relationship with the media.

Or say unflappable? :)

Come on...wanna hear Buchy and Smith are gonzo...

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600437 is a reply to message #600430 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I've got to stop listening to these things. Too many things happen that make me mad.

I don't like that this seems to have been decided on the fly.
I also don't like that the first thing Eakins talked about is "time" and "character".

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600458 is a reply to message #600437 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 13:51

I've got to stop listening to these things. Too many things happen that make me mad.

I also don't like that the first thing Eakins talked about is "time" and "character".

There's a lot in this that doesn't make sense if everyone is telling the full truth.

MacTavish was part of the three-headed interview monster that decided the Ralph Krueger was the best choice a year ago, over Tom Renney, Brent Sutter, Jon Cooper and others.

Then he hung out with MacTavish a lot this spring, they decided they needed an associate coach. They interviewed Paul Maurice and Rick Bowness, then sometime in the last 10 or so days they offer Bowness the associate position under Krueger. Bowness declines and goes to Tampa, MacTavish interviews Eakins, decides he philosophically differs with Krueger, agrees in principle on a deal with Eakins, then fires Krueger, then signs Eakins.

So, you are definitely left to wonder, if Bowness takes the associate job with the Oilers, does MacTavish still have philosophic differences with Krueger a week and a half later? If he does, does Eakins get the chance to fire the newly hired associate? (I guess it isn't even certain that he'll get the chance to fire or hire the assistants, so maybe it would have happened all the same).

I think the Oilers read in the media again and again that Dallas Eakins was the most coveted coach in a market that included Ruff, Tortorella, Vigneault, etc. and they got caught up in their "Gotta have it" mindset that they fall in to every July 1, just like when they chased Chara and Jagr and Hossa and Nylander and Souray and...etc etc.

MacTavish probably asked him if he'd be associate, knowing that he was hiring the replacement for Krueger. Eakins probably said he liked the opportunity with the Oilers and the young, talented team, but he'd prefer to be a head coach some where. MacTavish and Lowe probably kicked it around for 15 or 20 minutes after that call, and then called Eakins again and said "What if you could be the head coach? Would you come to Edmonton then?" After that, they only had to figure out how to take down Krueger. Lowe likely opted for barn fight, MacTavish made the decision to just fire him instead.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600465 is a reply to message #600458 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:24

MacTavish was part of the three-headed interview monster that decided the Ralph Krueger was the best choice a year ago, over Tom Renney, Brent Sutter, Jon Cooper and others.

Then he hung out with MacTavish a lot this spring, they decided they needed an associate coach. They interviewed Paul Maurice and Rick Bowness, then sometime in the last 10 or so days they offer Bowness the associate position under Krueger. Bowness declines and goes to Tampa, MacTavish interviews Eakins, decides he philosophically differs with Krueger, agrees in principle on a deal with Eakins, then fires Krueger, then signs Eakins.

I don't get the impression MacTavish was ever that high on Krueger. I think he was at best lukewarm. He kept it professional, but whenever he was asked about him, it seemed calculated and careful rather than candid. I could be wrong, but I just get that feeling.

Do we know that Bowness was given an offer? I read that somewhere, but I thought it was only one place and wasn't really substantiated or confirmed.

I still am under the impression that the last few days were more about being pro-Eakins than anti-Krueger.

EDIT: I will add that there are things that seem weird and the timeline seems a little strange. Like Mars mentioned, odd that Krueger wasn't involved in this process but Lowe and Howson were. There's things that don't line up well. But at the end of the day, I think Eakins could be a better a coach for this club than Krueger was. And at the end of the day, I think that makes this a good move.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 June 2013 14:44]

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600474 is a reply to message #600465 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:34

I don't get the impression MacTavish was ever that high on Krueger. I think he was at best lukewarm. He kept it professional, but whenever he was asked about him, it seemed calculated and careful rather than candid. I could be wrong, but I just get that feeling.

Do we know that Bowness was given an offer? I read that somewhere, but I thought it was only one place and wasn't really substantiated or confirmed.

I still am under the impression that the last few days were more about being pro-Eakins than anti-Krueger.

I think your last statement is exactly right. Eakins is the bright, shiny free agent coach of the summer. He's Scott Arniel. He's Peter DeBoer. He's Jon Cooper. There's a lot of hype around him...maybe more than with any of the others because he coached in Toronto, in a year where there was a lockout and they only had Marlies to cover AND he coached Nazem Kadri, explaining to him the value of a very high shooting percentage ahead of his jump to the NHL.

So when it was clear he'd only come here as a head coach, I think that the Oilers knew they'd have to get rid of their less new, shiny and sexy head coach to make way.

I think that if MacTavish wasn't sure on Krueger as the right guy to run the team, then he did the right thing in terminating him. Hell, I wasn't sure I agreed with Krueger a lot of the time - I think as much as he may be a motivator, telling Ryan Whitney that he'd be no better than a third pairing guy no matter what he did was a stupid, stupid move with no possible upside. I also disliked that the fourth line played twelve minutes a game during the playoff stretch drive. I think you have young studs, roll them out again and again...especially if they're the only thing going on your team. Mike Brown was never going to get us wins.

That said, I think they treated him poorly in this, just as they treated Renney poorly a year ago and Quinn poorly two years before that. I think that they never just let a guy go and they never seem sad to do it.

The list of players that have had serious issues with Lowe and MacTavish to the point where they seemed happy or relieved to leave town is a long one too. Mike Comrie, Patrick Thoresen, Jason Chimera, Todd Marchant, Sheldon Souray, Dustin Penner, Ryan Whitney...it goes on and on. At some point you have to look at the common element in all of that. People aren't just leaving thinking "Well, it's a business." They're leaving personally offended and upset. What do you bet that Horcoff and Hemsky leave with a bad taste in their mouth?

There's more wrong here than we see on the surface, and I kind of doubt that firing Krueger for Eakins and firesaleing Horcoff and Hemsky are going to fix the problems...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600468 is a reply to message #600458 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

There's a lot in this that doesn't make sense if everyone is telling the full truth.

So, you are definitely left to wonder, if Bowness takes the associate job with the Oilers, does MacTavish still have philosophic differences with Krueger a week and a half later? If he does, does Eakins get the chance to fire the newly hired associate? (I guess it isn't even certain that he'll get the chance to fire or hire the assistants, so maybe it would have happened all the same).

I think the Oilers read in the media again and again that Dallas Eakins was the most coveted coach in a market that included Ruff, Tortorella, Vigneault, etc. and they got caught up in their "Gotta have it" mindset that they fall in to every July 1, just like when they chased Chara and Jagr and Hossa and Nylander and Souray and...etc etc.

MacTavish probably asked him if he'd be associate, knowing that he was hiring the replacement for Krueger. Eakins probably said he liked the opportunity with the Oilers and the young, talented team, but he'd prefer to be a head coach some where. MacTavish and Lowe probably kicked it around for 15 or 20 minutes after that call, and then called Eakins again and said "What if you could be the head coach? Would you come to Edmonton then?" After that, they only had to figure out how to take down Krueger. Lowe likely opted for barn fight, MacTavish made the decision to just fire him instead.

Did "they" interview Maurice and Bowness and did "they" make an offer to Bowness? Or did MacT interview them and make the offer. Every article I've read states the MacT extended the offer to Bowness. Maybe it is just symantics, but it strikes me really odd that we are led to believe that it was Krueger who brought forward the idea of getting some help, but then he stays in Europe while MacT does all the work?

Was MacT fired?

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600432 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prophet  is currently offline Prophet

No Cups

Wonder if Hartikainen signed with Ufa because he was too flappable.

"They will play what I tell them to play, for I am the mayor of Albuquerque"

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600436 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc  is currently offline Marc

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 15:39

Exactly my thoughts. But will say that MacT sounds like he knows what he is talking about. He actually went out and got the coach he got. Eakins sounds like a good fit, very classy to thank a bunch of people he was around in Toronto. He has the right idea on how to coach, not to coach to win one year, but continued success. The commitment to fitness, character, and compete level sounds like its exactly what our issues were. If half the stuff he is saying comes to fruition he will be a massive success.

"Third? Not third in the West, either? Overall? I think that... well. marijuana's legal in some areas." Whitney on Oilers being ranked #3 by SI

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600438 is a reply to message #600436 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Marc wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 13:50

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 15:39

Exactly my thoughts. But will say that MacT sounds like he knows what he is talking about. He actually went out and got the coach he got. Eakins sounds like a good fit, very classy to thank a bunch of people he was around in Toronto. He has the right idea on how to coach, not to coach to win one year, but continued success. The commitment to fitness, character, and compete level sounds like its exactly what our issues were. If half the stuff he is saying comes to fruition he will be a massive success.

I hope he's the guy. Krueger wove a pretty good yarn talking to the media as well.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600439 is a reply to message #600438 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

Has he been fired yet?

Call me jaded. Yeah, the coach was the problem. Every year....for 5 years. Pardon me, Renney survived 2 years.

Idiots. Katz really has to take a look at his Gong show a bit closer this year and get it straight.

Katz has owned the team since 2008.....5th coach since then, but at least MacT was recycled to GM. I guess it could be argued we are a "green" team as we recycle.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 June 2013 14:13]

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600441 is a reply to message #600436 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

MacT's comments about how Eakins was able to have his team prepared for the starts of games definitely reminded me of Krueger and how the Oilers never seemed to be prepared :) One of those philosophical differences MacT and Krueger had? MacT believes a team should be prepared to start games, Kruger did not icon_wink

Meh, definitely not going to be expecting any huge improvements unless MacT gets to work bringing some more NHL level hockey players in.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600449 is a reply to message #600441 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

oobga wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 13:58

Meh, definitely not going to be expecting any huge improvements unless MacT gets to work bringing some more NHL level hockey players in.

This is for sure the key. I think Eakins could be a great coach, but we need players to work with. Most glaringly, we need our professional scouts to be better.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600469 is a reply to message #600441 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Of course the strike, a new coach and very practices had nothing to do with the team not being very prepared.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600440 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

This is nice news for those who want to live in the present. Me, I'm pondering who we should consider hiring next summer. Surely there's an ex-Oiler who will be our saviour -- that or Katz' kid.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600442 is a reply to message #600440 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

MJ wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 13:56

This is nice news for those who want to live in the present. Me, I'm pondering who we should consider hiring next summer. Surely there's an ex-Oiler who will be our saviour -- that or Katz' kid.

Well, the old assistant / associate coaches will still be kicking around. So.... maybe we can start taking bets on the Smith or Buchberger being the "next head coach of the Edmonton Oilers".

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600443 is a reply to message #600442 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 16:58

Well, the old assistant / associate coaches will still be kicking around. So.... maybe we can start taking bets on the Smith or Buchberger being the "next head coach of the Edmonton Oilers".

Was that confirmed? If so, doh

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600445 is a reply to message #600443 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:00

Yup. He wants to talk with them to see what they bring to the table because they could be the best coaches in the league. Some room for a firing down the road, but I doubt it.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600470 is a reply to message #600445 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:02

Mike wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:00

Yup. He wants to talk with them to see what they bring to the table because they could be the best coaches in the league. Some room for a firing down the road, but I doubt it.

This really bothers me. How can head coach after head coach not be good enough but the two assistants are? How can they go a season without an associate head coach, then decide they need one without first upgrading the two assistants that have been with the team throughout the suckage. I don't see how the culture can change with the same two assistant coaches all this time.

I'm holidng out hope Eakins was being politically correct and Smith and Bucky will soon be replaced.

Was MacT fired?

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600471 is a reply to message #600470 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mars wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:44

This really bothers me. How can head coach after head coach not be good enough but the two assistants are? How can they go a season without an associate head coach, then decide they need one without first upgrading the two assistants that have been with the team throughout the suckage. I don't see how the culture can change with the same two assistant coaches all this time.

I'm holidng out hope Eakins was being politically correct and Smith and Bucky will soon be replaced.

I wonder what the record is for an assistant coach keeping his job after a certain number head coaches is fired. These guys must be getting close if they haven't passed it already.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600476 is a reply to message #600471 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

oobga wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 13:49

Mars wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:44

I wonder what the record is for an assistant coach keeping his job after a certain number head coaches is fired. These guys must be getting close if they haven't passed it already.

If Eakins gets all his assistant from outside the Oilers alumni list, I'll be optimistic.

If it's Eakins-Bucky-Smith, then time to come to terms with the fact the Oilers are doomed to go nowhere in the next 5-10 seasons.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600444 is a reply to message #600442 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So the new coach was caught completely off guard by the offer and is getting a 4 year contract for his first NHL head coaching gig. I wonder if he demanded that term because of all the previous summer s-canings.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600448 is a reply to message #600442 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

This whole thing just reeks of treehouse politics. Good luck Eakins, hope you know a little something about winning cause your leash is short.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600480 is a reply to message #600448 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Boniman wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:06

This whole thing just reeks of treehouse politics. Good luck Eakins, hope you know a little something about winning cause your leash is short.

That, and your other boss is making good on his assertion of being impatient.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600482 is a reply to message #600480 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What would happen if Mark Messier quietly told Lowe and MacTavish tomorrow he changed his mind and wanted to coach the Oilers. If not, Messier then some other guy the Oilers would really want.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600490 is a reply to message #600482 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 15:38

What would happen if Mark Messier quietly told Lowe and MacTavish tomorrow he changed his mind and wanted to coach the Oilers. If not, Messier then some other guy the Oilers would really want.

Well, it would really come down to whether or not Mess would plan on keeping Bucky and Smith. If he's not, then New York can have him.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600492 is a reply to message #600490 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

MacT giving his thoughts on his decision to hire Eakins: I really almost instantly I had that type of intuition...

Nice, I want more decisions made on intuition, that, and poise.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600493 is a reply to message #600492 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 20:05

As long as they don't get flapped. Unflappability is key. Unflappable coach. Unflappable GM. No flap. Unflappable.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600499 is a reply to message #600493 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 17:16

As long as they don't get flapped. Unflappability is key. Unflappable coach. Unflappable GM. No flap. Unflappable.

You don't have time to be flappable when you're too busy being impatient and intuitive, in a hotel room, with the "new guy" and your two good buddies.

I'm glad we have fourth-line grinder intuition (MacT) on our side.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600515 is a reply to message #600493 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 16:16

Not always, if you a were a bird, unflappable is not a good thing, better to be flappable. To get the Oil off the ground, IMHO we need more flap.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600446 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Maybe this is the reason why he didn't get the coaching job in Van, his viewpoints on what they play like:

http://i.imgur.com/1H4j8k1.jpg?1

I kid... I think.. :)

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600450 is a reply to message #600446 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:04

Maybe this is the reason why he didn't get the coaching job in Van, his viewpoints on what they play like:

http://i.imgur.com/1H4j8k1.jpg?1

I kid... I think.. :)

lol thats awesome

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600447 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Everyone's so cynical!

No, I mean I get the cynicism. I don't like the constant turnover or the circus management.

But I do like this hire. I thought Krueger was an okay hire, but he struck me as a guy that was hired because management didn't know what they wanted... and he was available.

I think Eakins is a good hire. Unlike the Krueger hire (or Renney or Quinn for that matter) the Oilers seem to know exactly what and who they want. They've got some conviction and enthusiasm. And most people in the hockey community are very high on Eakins and think this is a great hire. Add in his success, his development and maturing of young players, his professionalism, and his close ties with Roger Neilson... I don't know guys. I think they might have got it right this time.

f [message #600451 is a reply to message #600447 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I think the key phrase is "management didn't know what they wanted." It could also be shorted to "management didn't know."

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600455 is a reply to message #600447 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:04

Everyone's so cynical!

No, I mean I get the cynicism. I don't like the constant turnover or the circus management.

But I do like this hire. I thought Krueger was an okay hire, but he struck me as a guy that was hired because management didn't know what they wanted... and he was available.

I think Eakins is a good hire. Unlike the Krueger hire (or Renney or Quinn for that matter) the Oilers seem to know exactly what and who they want. They've got some conviction and enthusiasm. And most people in the hockey community are very high on Eakins and think this is a great hire. Add in his success, his development and maturing of young players, his professionalism, and his close ties with Roger Neilson... I don't know guys. I think they might have got it right this time.

With good reason. Eakins might be good, Eakins might be bad. I honestly have no idea. What I do know is I don't trust the people who made the decision to hire him. That puts an immediate "Oilers stain" on Mr. Eakins.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600459 is a reply to message #600455 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:21

That puts an immediate "Oilers stain" on Mr. Eakins.

I understand. I just don't think it's very fair. Just like it's not a great idea to run players/draft picks out of town before they get a chance, not really fair to write off a coach before he gets a game.

Honestly, I haven't heard anything but glowing praise for this hire outside of this message board (and that includes non-Edmonton media). This board is extremely negative, but it's pretty contained within here... most people I've read think this is a great move. I understand the frustration, but I think we need to be careful of the "Oilers stain" keeping us from being objective or fair.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600464 is a reply to message #600455 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 13:21

With good reason. Eakins might be good, Eakins might be bad. I honestly have no idea. What I do know is I don't trust the people who made the decision to hire him. That puts an immediate "Oilers stain" on Mr. Eakins.

This. I liked what Eakins said, but I did with Quinn, Renney, Krueger too.

Management just seems so amateur hour with how they handled this (along with other past instances). Telling a guy that you are safe, go off to interview someone to help, then coming back around and firing the guy you have already to hire someone else cause he's a shinier and sexier choice?

If I was doing business with MacT/Lowe, I wouldn't trust them at all with how they deal with things.

Krueger didn't set the world on fire, but he did do a better job than Renney did without training camp or a full season. Then gets replaced by a guy with 0 NHL HC experience.

If Krueger didn't fit with the team's philosophy, then why didn't they axe him at the end of the season? Nice to see the MacBlender works on coaches too.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 June 2013 14:36]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600467 is a reply to message #600464 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Maybe it's just me, but Eakins seems to be talking about fitness and compete level as if the Oilers are very poor at both. I guess that would be based on what he saw from us last season... I wonder if that's what MacT thought of Krueger's job too, coaching a team towards having poor fitness and compete level.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600477 is a reply to message #600467 ]
Mon, 10 June 2013 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

oobga wrote on Mon, 10 June 2013 14:37

Maybe it's just me, but Eakins seems to be talking about fitness and compete level as if the Oilers are very poor at both. I guess that would be based on what he saw from us last season... I wonder if that's what MacT thought of Krueger's job too, coaching a team towards having poor fitness and compete level.

When would he have had the chance to carefully study a lot of Oilers' games? He was a head coach of a farm team of a franchise in a different conference in a season where there was no inter-conference play.

His only exposure would be at the farm team level, where the Barons went further this year than the Marlies did.

Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Puljujarvi wants out.
Next Topic:Oilers 19-20 pre-season schedule
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca