Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Colorado to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589509 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Fantastic comeback. That wouldn't have happened last year. Glad I didn't give up watching after the first!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589511 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

1 Cup

Smyth with all the credit on the GW play.

He is forgiven for his penalties tonight.

This is not the game anyone thought it would become, and fairly so. This is not something we are used to. I hope we see more of these come backs, and this many goals.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589512 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Ok bounce back game for Smytty. I'm thinking he's just getting tired and all this time off helped.

Anyone see the Varlamov rage after the horn?

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589516 is a reply to message #589512 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Sat, 16 February 2013 22:40

Ok bounce back game for Smytty. I'm thinking he's just getting tired and all this time off helped.

Anyone see the Varlamov rage after the horn?

Yeah, he was pissed, based on the force with which he banged his stick on the net.

How to sum up this game: roller-freaking-coaster. Wow.

The typical Oil fan after a game:
http://i.imgur.com/FddGWAw.gif

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589517 is a reply to message #589512 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremyd88  is currently offline Jeremyd88

No Cups

56 SHOTS?

Get that puck to the net is given a whole new meaning.. wowza

Smyth with his best game of the season bar none.

Nuge finally gets going

Eb's broke his 9 game drought

Defense was pretty weak in the 1st half. Whitney looked better, but I still don't know if I like him on the ice.

Great comeback game. Good Character building game. Good for Khabbi to get the win as well.

"Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.” - Jacques Plante

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589519 is a reply to message #589517 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Jeremyd88 wrote on Sat, 16 February 2013 22:43

56 SHOTS?

Nuge finally gets going

Defense was pretty weak in the 1st half. Whitney looked better, but I still don't know if I like him on the ice.

Great comeback game. Good Character building game. Good for Khabbi to get the win as well.

The funny thing? I think I heard that Varlamov was still named the 1st star of the game despite letting in 5. Sounds like the guys that pick need to watch the ENTIRE freaking game before they decide.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589522 is a reply to message #589519 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 16 February 2013 22:47

The funny thing? I think I heard that Varlamov was still named the 1st star of the game despite letting in 5. Sounds like the guys that pick need to watch the ENTIRE freaking game before they decide.

Ok, scratch this last post, as I just checked NHL.com and saw that the guys that pick the game stars were in fact not insane. Nuge first, Hemmer second, and Ebs third. Well done, boys.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589532 is a reply to message #589522 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 16 February 2013 22:52

Ok, scratch this last post, as I just checked NHL.com and saw that the guys that pick the game stars were in fact not insane. Nuge first, Hemmer second, and Ebs third. Well done, boys.

The one they showed on TV was Varlamov first. He deserved it after 50 saves. You are nuts if you think otherwise. Stellar performance.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589523 is a reply to message #589519 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

56 SHOTS?

Nuge finally gets going

You know what I wouldn't be surprised if he got a star, he made 50 saves, how many goalies have games where they make 50 saves?

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589528 is a reply to message #589519 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

56 SHOTS?

Nuge finally gets going

Are you serious? They could have picked 3-4 Oilers' forwards for 1st star......<EDIT> icon_lol now I've gotta scratch this post because Rag scratched his......

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 23:01]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589531 is a reply to message #589528 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner is currently online mightyreasoner

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 16 February 2013 22:59

Are you serious? They could have picked 3-4 Oilers' forwards for 1st star......<EDIT> icon_lol now I've gotta scratch this post because Rag scratched his......

I don't know guys. My picks for the stars of the game were exactly the same as HNIC. Varlamov may have let in 5 goals, but he also stopped 50 (!) shots. The Oilers set a franchise shot record tonight. Varlmaov played lights out and kept Colorado in a game they had no business being close in.

Hemsky and Hall were our two best forwards, so I like those picks too... Nugent-Hopkins played well, but I just don't see where he earned first star honours.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589515 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Great game to watch. No loser points handed out.

That series of saves at the 6:00 minute mark by Khabibulin was clutch. That's back up support you need.

Good for Paajarvi.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589518 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

1 Cup

So glad I stayed up for this one. What game.

This is what the Oilers neede to get back on track. Here's hoping it leads to win streak.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589520 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Well, I didn't think they had a chance to come back, especially after watching the 5 minutes immediately after the 4-1 goal.

Back-to-back prediction champ

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589521 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

4 Cups

Awesome to know this team has the capability to play a game like that. 56 shots, who would have thought that was possible after the first dozen games this season. Few mistakes put them behind early, but they just wouldn't be denied. All offensive weapons came to play tonight.

For Smyth, he really needs to be benched more often. Not as punishment, but for the rest so he can look like a hockey player that can be effective for more than 10 seconds per shift throughout the night.

Hope Magnus keeps up with the timely goals. I was just stunned when Smyth got hat puck to him and he pounded it in. Amazing.

Just a side note...I'm not looking forward to seeing the full Avs line-up next year, or maybe late this year when all their good players are playing again.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 22:50]

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Wow [message #589524 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TJ39  is currently offline TJ39

1 Cup

I said to my friends when it was 4-1 the Oilers were going to come back. Nice. They can fly but add some vet size please.
As for the question of the night yes I will be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs. I'm just a huge fan that wants to see her team win, finally.

Re: Wow [message #589526 is a reply to message #589524 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

[quote title=TJ39 wrote on Sat, 16 February 2013 21:57]I said to my friends when it was 4-1 the Oilers were going to come back. Nice. They can fly but add some vet size please.
As for the question of the night yes I will be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs. I'm just a huge fan that wants to see her team win, finally.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589525 is a reply to message #589497 ]
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

What a fantastic comeback. Didn't see that coming after the 4-1 goal. If this is a puck possession team, those last 2 periods demonstrated it.

Smytty had a pretty damn good 3rd liner night, couldn't have asked much better, took the penalty late but overall easily his best game of the season. I thought Petry had his best game of the year, good to see RNH & Ebs get off the schneid. Someone mentioned in the GDT about this being Hemmer of '06, sure looks like it to me.

Good game by Khabi in relief, that one sequence where he stopped 3 or 4 good chances had the fans chanting his name.

Hard to say about the best players in those last 2 periods, so many good efforts out there....whole team was pretty much cooking with gas. Everyone was pretty much engaged, especially the forward lines.

Nice effort on the dot tonight, even Nuge approached 45% which would be pretty good for him if he could be around that number.

No quit, and a club record 56 shots. Nice to get a good showing on HNIC for once. They needed this game, now hopefully they can build on it, seeing a good work ethic reaps rewards after all ....we'll see.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589529 is a reply to message #589525 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

They were skating tonight. If they skate and use they're skill they will win. I had a feeling. Good game.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589527 is a reply to message #589497 ]
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Honorable mention to Ben Eager for playing with energy making good decisions all night while drawing that key penalty leading to the Ebs PP goal. Then again his will resembled that of the entire team who fought hard all night and kept their noses in it.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589533 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sat, 16 February 2013 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oilers were awful in the first period. They played well without much success for most of the second. And then they dominated the third in a way I haven't seen them dominate in a long, long time.

If they play like they did in the first period, they will be closer to a lottery team than a playoff team this season. If they play like they did in the third period, they will be a playoff team.

Thoughts from the game:

-- Oilers set franchise shot record. That's pretty crazy in itself.

-- Have to feel good for Khabibulin who got his first win since last February.

-- Nice to see Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle break their slumps. That whole line was incredible all night. Hall was arguably the Oilers best forward tonight (Hemsky providing the argument).

-- Ales Hemsky was dialed in from the very first shift. You could tell he came to play. His second goal was a thing of beauty and really help swing the momentum in the direction of the Oilers.

-- It's too bad some of those old Hemsky threads from last year were lost in the crash. I'd be looking pretty smart right about now. Totally called it. icon_wink

-- Ryan Smyth responded well. Was a beast penalty-killing, created some plays, and had a timely assist on Paajarvi's winner. The Oilers SHOULD sit Smyth more often to try to keep him fresh. Because when he plays like tonight, he has something to offer this club still. Best game of the year for him, and it's not close.

-- Some 5-on-5 goals tonight. Some clutch, depth scoring tonight (Paajarvi). Good signs.

-- Despite the comeback and the win, our defense was still very suspect tonight. Nick Schultz was easily our best defenseman tonight. Petry and Justin Schultz didn't look as good as they normally do, and maybe they were a little banged up. Smid still has had some struggles and took an awful penalty. And Whitney... he took more blame than he should have on that first goal, but he still was the weakest D-man out there. I still hold hope they'll add another defenseman (i.e. Tallinder) for that bottom pairing.

-- Fun game. Glad to take the win.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 23:53]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589534 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Hemmer's 2nd goal was on the list of candidates for TSN Highlight of the Night so it should win, right? Apparently not when a *Toronto* Raptor player does some slam dunking. Screw you, Toronto Sports Network.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589535 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If I'm correct, tonight's game put Ryan Smyth into 2nd place on the Oilers Games Played list (852), passing Mark Messier (851). Only Kevin Lowe has played more (1037).

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589641 is a reply to message #589535 ]
Tue, 19 February 2013 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 01:30

If I'm correct, tonight's game put Ryan Smyth into 2nd place on the Oilers Games Played list (852), passing Mark Messier (851). Only Kevin Lowe has played more (1037).

Nope--Smyth played his 852nd game in an Oiler uniform on the last game of the regular season last year, passing Messier. His 13 games so far this year put him at 865. I doubt he'll pass Lowe as I can't see the Oilers retaining him past this two year contract. Even if he plays every game for the rest of this year and all 82 next year he would be at 981.

I suppose it's possible they would extend him, but I would hope they base it on his play next year and not on his media and community perceptions.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589536 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Amazing. If the Oilers puck luck picks up, this game was the reason. Oil would not give up.

Funny that the win was a product of circumstance and other indirect to the game itself.

Yakupov should just play with Gagner and Hemsky, period. The guy was an animal trying to get the puck. Harti is just not yet ready for top six, sucks he had to get injured for that to happen. Yakupov with Smyth/Belanger is no chemistry city.

Paajarvi gets another piece of confidence back, hopefully the puzzle keeps coming back together. Sucks that it had to take Petrell taking a puck off the head in warmup for it to happen.

Whitney and Smyth both needed the trip to the popcorn stand, hopefully they are back on track. But they still have a ways to go.

Khabi FINALLY gets a win after relieving Dubnyk.

Hopefully this carries over against the Kings on Tuesday, not just a depleted Avalanche.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589542 is a reply to message #589536 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

4 Cups

It's amazing what finally getting a few days off can do. Finally able to go over things as a team with a rested body/mind. It's like the team took all the learning of the first dozen games of the season and fixed almost everything. Didn't save us from a few brain farts to start the game of course, but the team never showed any signs of giving up and abandoning their game plan.

We will see Tues if they can repeat that type of effort.

Another nice little piece of info...apparently we're the 1st team this year to come back from 3 down to win in regulation.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 February 2013 10:30]

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589537 is a reply to message #589497 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

One thing I really liked about this game was the offensive zone entries.

In previous games, the Oiler would attack with speed and hit the opposing blueline and lose it to the defenders standing on the line. Sometimes the Oiler would charge into a wall of bodies and lose it or they would start moving east west along the blueline looking for a gap and get hemmed in with no options but to relinquish a giveaway.

Tonight, there were various examples of Hall, Eberle, Smyth, etc. chipping it or dumping just behind the defenders in front of another attacking Oiler forward. With the defenders attempting to stand their ground moving east/west, many times that 2nd Oiler was able to enter with full speed going north/south. The defenders then had to try to recover and pivot flatfooted to try and angle the Oiler away from the puck. The improvement in zone entry techniques allowed the team to forecheck and recover so many more pucks and start the cycle in the offensive zone repeatedly all night. That was a big key to why we were able to generate so many shots.

Really appreciated how Khabby came in and made key saves that allowed us the opportunity to come back. Even from 4-1 to 4-4, there were many chances that Colorado had to put us away and Khabibulin saved our bacon literally.

This team is showing that it is similar to the 2006 team in that there is a good amount of perserverance in them. They may be young but they don't give up. The previous examples include the LA game with Yakupov and Gagner scoring to bring us a win that was almost handed to the Kings but really, all the games where we scrapped and clawed our way to hold onto the Bettman point have been showing this type of character. Tonight was just another example where we could have just thrown in the towel after the first where we outshot them massively and came out 2 goals behind. In previous years, that was almost a foregone conclusion that we were just playing out the string for the remainder of the contest.

We still may not make the playoffs but this team will keep you on the edge of your seat anticipating the magic that seems just on the edge of their fingertips. Tonight was just another night where they caught the fairy dust and amazed us all.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589538 is a reply to message #589537 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

1 Cup

I think the two biggest things to take from this game is:

1st - the franchise record 56 shots!!

Holy cowabunga!! Considering the players that have worn Oiler's colours that's quite the accomplishment!!

2nd - I will stop short of calling this a watershed or landmark game for the young Oilers but it could well be a turning point in the season and/or rebuild since after being snake bitten for most of this season, they finally know they can light up the score sheet when they put their minds to it and that's HUGE!!

I also really hope Petrell and Harty are ok?! Anybody heard anything or did I miss reading about it here?!

"I hope that went well. ... that's the team I want to go to..." -Taylor Hall.

...asked if he was excited for the draft to be over, Yakupov said: "It's not over. It's just starting."

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589539 is a reply to message #589538 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

This is the exact same game as the Dallas game, the only difference is that pucks went in the net. The team is playing a system, buying in and executing. It shows. A few more years of perfecting this system and we have a perrenial cup contender.

When the team was down 4-1 I still thought that they had outplayed the Avs by a long shot, and the shots agree. Good to see these dudes keep their focus.

Sam Gagner for MVP!

[Updated on: Sun, 17 February 2013 10:33]

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589541 is a reply to message #589539 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 11:01

This is the exact same game as the Dallas game, the only difference is that pucks went in the net. The team is playing a system, buying in and executing. It shows. A few more years of perfecting this system and we have a perrenial cup contender.

Pretty much exactly how I felt.

56 shots is probably my favorite stat of the night other than the W. We're still dead last in 5 on 5 scoring, but a couple more games like that should get us up to around the middle of the pack. Special teams are getting it done. PP is 7th, PK is 5th, so as long as that can continue, we should start winning some games once we get going 5-5.

Smyth with his best game of the year. Paajarvi and Eager with great games as well. Paajarvi and Eager can be 2/3 of a very very difficult 3rd or 4th line. Magnus is starting to throw his weight around more and more, and Eager is tied with a few other guys for the fewest minor penalties on the team (after being 2nd to Sutton last year). I don't see how you can sit any of those 3 guys after last night.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589543 is a reply to message #589539 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

2 Cups

The big thing to me was we were outplaying a team handily for the second straight game and down significantly. It could have been really easy to fold the tent and say it's just like Dallas all over again, as many of the fans were here, but the team kept pushing and never gave up. This is the big difference for me from teams of the past few years. I also hope they are realizing that playing a dynamic game like they did last night will pay off. Now lets see this type of effort against an NHL team.

Taylor Hall, June 25 2010

With the five Cups they won it would mean a lot to me to join their organization, hopefully bring another one up there. That is the ultimate goal for me and the franchise

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589544 is a reply to message #589543 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Is it just me, or is Scott Oake always a dick to Oilers players? Especially the younger ones?

I watch HNIC almost every week, and I'm obviously biased, but it seems like when it's other teams' players they do nothing but heap praise on them and make it a generally positive piece. Yet it feels like when it's an Oiler on "After Hours", it's mostly backhanded insults with a few token compliments thrown in.

I don't know - probably not expressing my thoughts as clearly as I would like, but I just seem to always want to punch him in the throat when he's interviewing Oilers.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589545 is a reply to message #589544 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oh - and the "terrible 2C" Gagner and the "slumping" Taylor Hall find themselves tied for 15th in the NHL for points. Ales Hemsky on a 40G (82 game season) pace. Barring injury he should blow by his goal tally from last year (10).

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589547 is a reply to message #589545 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oh - and kudos to Whitney for no longer looking off Yakupov. He actually looked for him a couple of times including one the PP. That pass to Yakupov who then one-times a pass back to Gagner was awesome (which led to the Eberle PP goal).

And I've been harping on this for a while, but Krueger should talk to Hemsky and ask him to try playing LW with Gagner and Yakupov on RW. Just one game I would like to see that.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589550 is a reply to message #589547 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 10:58

Oh - and kudos to Whitney for no longer looking off Yakupov. He actually looked for him a couple of times including one the PP. That pass to Yakupov who then one-times a pass back to Gagner was awesome (which led to the Eberle PP goal).

Whitney was once again an adventure in our end all game but I noticed a definite improvement in his passing last night. Same as you, I also noticed him looking for Yak. Can't help but wonder if his so pointedly ignoring him in the Detroit game was addressed by Krueger. Sure looked like Whitney was actually going out of his way to find him a couple times.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589554 is a reply to message #589545 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 10:36

Oh - and the "terrible 2C" Gagner and the "slumping" Taylor Hall find themselves tied for 15th in the NHL for points. Ales Hemsky on a 40G (82 game season) pace. Barring injury he should blow by his goal tally from last year (10).

Why must you take every comment about possibly trading Gagner out of context? What I read on here is that some posters would like to trade Gagner for a different piece to the puzzle. Those statements are a far cry from the "Gagner Sucks" interpretation you keep repeating.

So what if some posters think a bigger, meaner, hard to play against centre is needed, one who is very strong on the dot and is strong in their own end. So what if they think Gagner would be one going the other way. Again, those type of posts are a long ways from "Gagner Sucks." Clearly you think the team is built just fine in the top 6. Great. Other meanwhile feel different, and usually talent must be given up in order to get some coming back.

And yes, Gagner played a good game and may have led in icetime, But he was also minus 1 on the night.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589555 is a reply to message #589554 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mars wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 15:51

Mike wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 10:36

Why must you take every comment about possibly trading Gagner out of context? What I read on here is that some posters would like to trade Gagner for a different piece to the puzzle. Those statements are a far cry from the "Gagner Sucks" interpretation you keep repeating.

So what if some posters think a bigger, meaner, hard to play against centre is needed, one who is very strong on the dot and is strong in their own end. So what if they think Gagner would be one going the other way. Again, those type of posts are a long ways from "Gagner Sucks." Clearly you think the team is built just fine in the top 6. Great. Other meanwhile feel different, and usually talent must be given up in order to get some coming back.

And yes, Gagner played a good game and may have led in icetime, But he was also minus 1 on the night.

LOL - who are you anyways? Banned user with a new ID? And how the hell do you know what posts I am referring to when I make those comments? Straw man much? There have been NUMEROUS posts on this board over the years with people flat out saying Gagner sucks, needs to be traded, is not a 2C on a contender, etc....

The kid is now 7th in the entire NHL for points amongst Cs, tied with a couple of others at 15. Of the 9 guys with 15 or more, 5 are 1st overall picks, 2 2nd overall, and Mike Ribeiro (2nd rounder). Some pretty damned fine company.

He'll never be a finalist for the Selke, but if we can get near PPG production from our 2C, I think we should be in pretty damned good shape.

And as for assuming I don't know what people mean with their misguided posts - I most certainly do. I just completely disagree. The kid is 23. Playing with consistent linemates for the first time in his career and excelling. His defensive game is getting better, he's getting stronger, starting to hit with enthusiasm, his shot is getting harder. Faceoffs? Vastly overrated in importance, but he was 56% last night. He was almost 50% last year, and has been creeping up the last few games - up to 41% now.

The mantra that if he was 1" taller and 9% better on the dot that he would be the ideal 2C is asinine.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 February 2013 13:29]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589556 is a reply to message #589555 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 13:27

LOL - who are you anyways? Banned user with a new ID? And how the hell do you know what posts I am referring to when I make those comments? Straw man much? There have been NUMEROUS posts on this board over the years with people flat out saying Gagner sucks, needs to be traded, is not a 2C on a contender, etc....

The kid is now 7th in the entire NHL for points amongst Cs, tied with a couple of others at 15. Of the 9 guys with 15 or more, 5 are 1st overall picks, 2 2nd overall, and Mike Ribeiro (2nd rounder). Some pretty damned fine company.

He'll never be a finalist for the Selke, but if we can get near PPG production from our 2C, I think we should be in pretty damned good shape.

And as for assuming I don't know what people mean with their misguided posts - I most certainly do. I just completely disagree. The kid is 23. Playing with consistent linemates for the first time in his career and excelling. His defensive game is getting better, he's getting stronger, starting to hit with enthusiasm, his shot is getting harder. Faceoffs? Vastly overrated in importance, but he was 56% last night. He was almost 50% last year, and has been creeping up the last few games - up to 41% now.

The mantra that if he was 1" taller and 9% better on the dot that he would be the ideal 2C is asinine.

"Yes, you have to be a big player in order to succeed in the NHL."
- signed: Martin St.Louis, Cliff Ronning, and Theo Fleury

icon_wink

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #589557 is a reply to message #589556 ]
Sun, 17 February 2013 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

That's three superstars out of 500. The glory Oilers had size, why is this even a debate.

I'll tell you why. Because we have great kids that will get bigger and tougher, and we have to wait, and everyone wants a quick fix, potentially at the expense of our talent. The size will come, if this is still an issue in three years, then we start looking on the outside for size.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #15)
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #15)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca