F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Suter in DET?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topic
 Suter in DET? [message #577438]
Tue, 03 July 2012 14:48 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Some rumours that the Red Wings plane has landed from Madison, WI and that Suter might be on it ahead of an announcement. No confirmation, but a couple of interesting re-tweets:

Quote:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive
Wings plane returned from Madison 20 minutes ago. Media not allowed on grounds. No interviews allowed.
Retweeted by Greg Wyshynski

Quote:

Phil K. ‏@clipper377
@Buccigross Flight data says a gulfstream registered to the Red Wings left Madison WI 40 mins ago. Bringing Suter? http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N559LC
Retweeted by John Buccigross

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577440 is a reply to message #577438 ]
Tue, 03 July 2012 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/07/red_wings_on _their_private_pla.html

Here's a full story on the possible happenings of today with Red Wings One.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577456 is a reply to message #577438 ]
Tue, 03 July 2012 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

Went over to hockeybuzz (you know, just to see where everybody won't be signing) and saw this:

Quote:

Wings increase offer to Suter
"As per Helene St. James, the Wings made an offer of $80 million over 13 years to Suter on Sunday, and have since increased the money to $90 million. Their top offer averages to a cap hit of $6.9 million, which would put Suter among the leaders for defensemen. "
-Mark Spizzirri

I'm a big Suter fan but, if true, man that's one crazy term at those dollars.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577479 is a reply to message #577456 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the flying stortini  is currently offline the flying stortini

No Cups

Quote:

Wings increase offer to Suter
"As per Helene St. James, the Wings made an offer of $80 million over 13 years to Suter on Sunday, and have since increased the money to $90 million. Their top offer averages to a cap hit of $6.9 million, which would put Suter among the leaders for defensemen. "
-Mark Spizzirri

Ok, so you play hockey, right?

Sure do!

Hmm. And you need a new contract?

That's right.

Who's a good hockey player... oh, Crosby! How much is his contract?

One hundred million dollars, sir.

Are you as good as him?

No sir.

Well, I guess we'll offer you 90 Million then.

I need to think about it.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z364/stortswasanoiler/Untitled-1.jpg中 RED DRAGONS 中
rukm01 wrote on Sun, 01 July 2012 21:54

Souray is a Duck is one letter away from being totally accurate.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577459 is a reply to message #577438 ]
Tue, 03 July 2012 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm is currently online nullterm

6 Cups

My word, the NHL needs a max term of 5 years to save it from itself.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577464 is a reply to message #577459 ]
Tue, 03 July 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

1 Cup

I would say that a 5 year term limit with maybe an exclusive team option for 2 more (that would count against the cap whether the player is extended for those 2 years or not) will be one of the 3 biggest 'new' points in the upcoming C.B.A. The other 2 being a new formula to set-out the player's shre of the revenue (cap and floor) and the bunk escrow agreement currently in place. The one thing that was fixed IMO last time was free agency. That shouldn't be touched this time.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577485 is a reply to message #577464 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Honestly, a team should be free to sign a player to whatever contract they want... as long as they can justify it to their ownership group, what's the problem?

I see the NHL moving in a good direction, for the most part. Perhaps we'll see more key franchise players sign long-term deals, keeping them in the same colours for a while. It is risky business though, given some of the injuries we've seen the last few seasons.

Signing the riff-raff to long-term deals is ridiculous though. Is Suter a franchise D-man? Not so sure.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577470 is a reply to message #577459 ]
Tue, 03 July 2012 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 03 July 2012 18:27

My word, the NHL needs a max term of 5 years to save it from itself.

its embarrassing how these GM's do it. by far the worst in pro sports. its damaging the game in so many ways.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577472 is a reply to message #577470 ]
Tue, 03 July 2012 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

philly boy wrote on Tue, 03 July 2012 20:39

its embarrassing how these GM's do it. by far the worst in pro sports. its damaging the game in so many ways.

The MLB is also pretty ridiculous. Vernon Wells is making $21 million this year. He's hitting .244 with 6 home runs. A-Rod, Pujols, Zito (he actually has bonuses in his contract for winning the Cy Young or an MVP award, hahaha) all have ridiculous contracts. And there's a ton more out there.

Baseball needs a hard cap badly.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577475 is a reply to message #577472 ]
Tue, 03 July 2012 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 03 July 2012 22:51

philly boy wrote on Tue, 03 July 2012 20:39

The MLB is also pretty ridiculous. Vernon Wells is making $21 million this year. He's hitting .244 with 6 home runs. A-Rod, Pujols, Zito (he actually has bonuses in his contract for winning the Cy Young or an MVP award, hahaha) all have ridiculous contracts. And there's a ton more out there.

Baseball needs a hard cap badly.

The problem with baseball is actually both the players and the owners. There are big market teams like the Red Sox Ownership/Mgt. in support of a hard cap despite being one of the biggest spenders annually. Although there is revenue sharing in the MLB, there's a lot of cheap owners like say in Oakland or Kansas City that would definitely not agree to a salary floor despite wanting to be recipients of money from bigger markets. The NHL is a clear example that you can have the status quo big money contracts pre 04-05 lockout in today's league with revenue sharing/cap/floor if not more as all franchises are forced to spend.

As for Suter, this is a dumb move by Detroit. 90 mil over 13 years is still 7 mil annually as I would suck it up for a year and hope that Shea Weber hits the UFA Market next summer. 13 years for 80 mil at a annual hit of 6 mil is actually more reasonable as I would've never gone above that.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 July 2012 23:35]

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577486 is a reply to message #577472 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Vernon Wells making $21 million is so freaking laughable. I couldn't trot out onto the field every day, in good conscience, and rip off the fans and the ownership group like that.

There are some serious ethical issues when someone is playing that poor (just cruising), and milking an insanely lucrative contract.

Those batting stats are absolutely terrible.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577488 is a reply to message #577438 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

All of the talk today is Suter and Parise both signing in Minny.

Josh Rimer got a big scoop last night in an interview with Parise, who admitted that him and Suter would love to play together, and have been talking throughout this whole process.

Suter is absolutely a franchise defenseman. The term being bandied about is screwy, but he's worth the yearly cap hit that everyone's talking about.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577490 is a reply to message #577488 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 08:34

All of the talk today is Suter and Parise both signing in Minny.

Josh Rimer got a big scoop last night in an interview with Parise, who admitted that him and Suter would love to play together, and have been talking throughout this whole process.

Suter is absolutely a franchise defenseman. The term being bandied about is screwy, but he's worth the yearly cap hit that everyone's talking about.

Neil Sheehy, the agent for Suter, (or rather his people) has tweeted that the Suter decision will come today. No word on if that's a decision on his hockey future or just where they're going for lunch.

Very interesting to see if they do decide to go to the same place. I would imagine they'd need to give some concessions on salary if that were the case, as $7MM+ for both of them represents an awful lot of the cap.

Suter is very good, but is he worth 10% of your cap? I don't really see him as a Pronger-in-2006 type, but maybe I underrate him.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 July 2012 08:48]

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577493 is a reply to message #577490 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 10:42

Neil Sheehy, the agent for Suter, (or rather his people) has tweeted that the Suter decision will come today. No word on if that's a decision on his hockey future or just where they're going for lunch.

Very interesting to see if they do decide to go to the same place. I would imagine they'd need to give some concessions on salary if that were the case, as $7MM+ for both of them represents an awful lot of the cap.

Suter is very good, but is he worth 10% of your cap? I don't really see him as a Pronger-in-2006 type, but maybe I underrate him.

I think you pretty much have to pay that much for a guy like Suter. He's no Pronger, and there's a handful of guys I'd rank ahead of him, but $7 million under an ever escalating cap seems reasonable for a guy that changes the entire complexion of your team. Having a guy that can handle tough minutes for 30 minutes a night is borderline priceless in this league.

Talking about changing complexions, if they both end up in Minny the NW division sure will get shook up a bit. And other than Yakupov, we've so far done absolutely nothing to get better…unless you count people crossing their fingers that Whitney will all of a sudden have new ankles.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577495 is a reply to message #577493 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 12:09

And other than Yakupov, we've so far done absolutely nothing to get better…unless you count people crossing their fingers that Whitney will all of a sudden have new ankles.

Justin Schultz?

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577496 is a reply to message #577495 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 11:11

And other than Yakupov, we've so far done absolutely nothing to get better…unless you count people crossing their fingers that Whitney will all of a sudden have new ankles.

Justin Schultz?

Oh yeah. Him too - but that's still us relying on 2 rookies to make us a better team. So far.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577498 is a reply to message #577496 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 12:13

Justin Schultz?

Oh yeah. Him too - but that's still us relying on 2 rookies to make us a better team. So far.

I know. But they're 2 pretty damned good looking rookies though, aren't they?

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577499 is a reply to message #577498 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 11:34

Justin Schultz?

Absolutely, I'm excited to see both of them. But I'm going to move this conversation to a new thread…now.

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577500 is a reply to message #577498 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cableguy  is currently offline cableguy

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 09:34

Justin Schultz?

Ya, its only July 4th. If Tambo still hasn't done anything to make us better by mid September then I'll start to worry.

All I know is that it will suck if Suter and Parise end up in the NW next season If that's the case then I see the Av's, Minny and Vancouver all being better than the Oilers next year and that means no playoffs.

Playin Bad for Ekblad

Re: Suter in DET? [message #577509 is a reply to message #577500 ]
Wed, 04 July 2012 10:18 Go to previous message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

1 Cup

Unless Minny hits the jackpot and gets Suter AND Parise, I don't see them being all that great next year either. They traded away almost all their good dmen last year. Admittedly, I haven't been tracking them closely, but that is a team on the sag, not the rise. Unless they've signed some nice UFA's I don't know of?

Heatley and Setoguchi? I don't think so. Zidlicky is gone I think, Tom Gilbert is their best dman now. They look like the 08 Oilers. Thin up front, thin on the back.
The only thing they have going is a nice goalie tandem.

I predict Minny and Calgary are there for the taking, Colorado is a bubble team, and Van is the only sure thing. I'd say we'll be right in the mix with most of those teams. Now, we may not make it in, but I think we'll be a stones throw from the goal.

Edit: And just as I write this, Suter to Minny. Crap.

Previous Topic:Minnesota the front runner for Parise/Suter combo?
Next Topic:Hemsky rumblings
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca