This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHLPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817521]
Thu, 02 February 2023 09:47 Go to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

It's NHL all-star weekend! While the NHL is a great product and a league that we all enjoy I think there is some room for improvement. For example, there is an annual showcase that no one bothers to watch yet is somehow partially built for advertisers. No wait, it's actually so you can watch the out of town superstars because the league's broadcast policies are so stupid it's difficult and expensive to watch other teams play. So let's gather round the old internet campfire and fix this league.

Bring ideas to the group, build on posted ideas, or just politely explain why I'm wrong. Let's go!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817522 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Today’s recommendation is stolen directly from a superior league. Today I want to fix the daily schedule. The beautiful thing about the NFL is I always know when a game is going to be on. Thursday after dinner, Sunday at 11, 2, and 6, and Monday night. Easy. Occasionally they trick me with a bonus early game in Europe or on a December Saturday. Which is nice. But they always have their basic schedule. It’s dependable, predictable, and comfortable.

So, NHL, the time is now to give us schedule consistency. I’m starting with Saturday and forcing all teams to play in one the following four timeslots: 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, or 8 pm. Every Saturday is an NHL quadruple header. We’re doing the same thing on Sundays. Games start at 11, 2, or 5. Obviously, this schedule is going to be thin during the NFL season, but the point is to build predictability so when the NFL ends the NHL is ready to own Sunday sports TV.

Weekdays are a little trickier because fans are less likely to bend their schedule to the league if they play with puck drops in different time zones too much. So while my preference would be to play games at either 5, 6:30, or 8 I’m not sure how feasible that is. Instead, I’m telling fans there will be a game starting at 5 pm and 8 pm every single night. There are enough west coast teams now that this shouldn’t be a problem. Yes, mountain time teams like Edmonton will get screwed with an 8 pm local start every once in a while, but not one cares about us. Every night we’re getting a double header.

tldr: We're fixing the schedule with predictable and consistent game time slots. Hockey every weeknight has hockey starting at 5 and 8. Every Saturday is an 11, 2, 5, and 8 o'clock quadruple header.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817523 is a reply to message #817522 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 09:49

Today’s recommendation is stolen directly from a superior league. Today I want to fix the daily schedule. The beautiful thing about the NFL is I always know when a game is going to be on. Thursday after dinner, Sunday at 11, 2, and 6, and Monday night. Easy. Occasionally they trick me with a bonus early game in Europe or on a December Saturday. Which is nice. But they always have their basic schedule. It’s dependable, predictable, and comfortable.

So, NHL, the time is now to give us schedule consistency. I’m starting with Saturday and forcing all teams to play in one the following four timeslots: 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, or 8 pm. Every Saturday is an NHL quadruple header. We’re doing the same thing on Sundays. Games start at 11, 2, or 5. Obviously, this schedule is going to be thin during the NFL season, but the point is to build predictability so when the NFL ends the NHL is ready to own Sunday sports TV.

Weekdays are a little trickier because fans are less likely to bend their schedule to the league if they play with puck drops in different time zones too much. So while my preference would be to play games at either 5, 6:30, or 8 I’m not sure how feasible that is. Instead, I’m telling fans there will be a game starting at 5 pm and 8 pm every single night. There are enough west coast teams now that this shouldn’t be a problem. Yes, mountain time teams like Edmonton will get screwed with an 8 pm local start every once in a while, but not one cares about us. Every night we’re getting a double header.

tldr: We're fixing the schedule with predictable and consistent game time slots. Hockey every weeknight has hockey starting at 5 and 8. Every Saturday is an 11, 2, 5, and 8 o'clock quadruple header.

I like this thread.

I love the schedule idea and having some consistency. There is no reason why you couldn't load up the weekend with games like you suggested.

I would make sure that every eastern game starts at 7pm, no more of this 7:30 crap. All it does it push back western games. Games should be 2.5 hours long tops. So if you start 7pm east, 5 pm our time, you should be able to fit in a 7:30 mountain puck drop most of the time. This isn't the days when there is 1 station to watch so if the first games goes a touch long with OT, oh well, you have 4 other stations to carry the game. Surely you can switch over to 1 channel for the new game to start.

Also, START THE GAME ON TIME! Other leagues do it. The NFL does it. If there is a 2pm NFL game, guess what, it's starting at 2pm or maybe a couple mins after tops. No one at home cares to see part of the warm up or even the anthem. If it's a 7:30 puck drop, they should be lining up at 7:30 to drop the puck.

I went to the Columbus game and it was a 7:30 start. By the time the puck dropped, it was almost 8 pm. At 7:30 they were cleaning the ice after the warm up, then you had to wait, then they came out and did player intros, then they did the anthems. It was ridiculous.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2023 10:06]

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817525 is a reply to message #817523 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I agree 100% on start times. I don't mind a 7:00 pm starting at 7:05 and I think people understand why that happens. But at a certain point the league and TV isn't gaining anything by lying to the fans. Especially in the regular season. The NFL does this properly too. If they need to start a game later in the 2 pm window to help CBS they tell their fans game time is 2:25.

Planning for games to be 2:30 is probably a little tight, but 2:40 or 2:45 (for non-OT games) isn't unreasonable.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817524 is a reply to message #817522 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

First thing I think of is fixing the issue with the loser point. Regulation wins should be 3 points and OT and SO wins should be 2 points. Either that or change it to a win is 2 points and a loss is 0 points (which is what I prefer). I think you'll see teams playing harder to tie it at the end of regulation is that is the case. Honestly, I wouldn't mind ties coming back at the end of OT.

When it comes to scheduling, the times aren't a big deal to me (other than wanting them to start on time), but my biggest complaint is blackout games. I live pretty far from any NHL team, but I have Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Kraken games blacked out on ESPN+. Makes sense to choose one or even two to black out, but three is insane.

I am also in favor of making goalie equipment smaller. I know they have made some changes over the years here, but I don't think it has gone nearly far enough.

I think the NHL also has a drug problem under the surface that is being ignored. There have been a number of older players in recent years that have sudden a resurgence after a decline, and it just makes me suspicious.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817526 is a reply to message #817524 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 10:11

First thing I think of is fixing the issue with the loser point. Regulation wins should be 3 points and OT and SO wins should be 2 points. Either that or change it to a win is 2 points and a loss is 0 points (which is what I prefer). I think you'll see teams playing harder to tie it at the end of regulation is that is the case. Honestly, I wouldn't mind ties coming back at the end of OT.

When it comes to scheduling, the times aren't a big deal to me (other than wanting them to start on time), but my biggest complaint is blackout games. I live pretty far from any NHL team, but I have Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Kraken games blacked out on ESPN+. Makes sense to choose one or even two to black out, but three is insane.

I am also in favor of making goalie equipment smaller. I know they have made some changes over the years here, but I don't think it has gone nearly far enough.

I think the NHL also has a drug problem under the surface that is being ignored. There have been a number of older players in recent years that have sudden a resurgence after a decline, and it just makes me suspicious.

The league will tell you they want teams to win in regulation more but then they don't back it up with rewarding a team for doing it. So I would like it if regulation wins were worth more point wise vs OT or So and I would definitely get rid of the loser point and would not want ties. This is professional sports where winning is supposed to be #1. There should be no participation points given out. You either win and gets points for it, or you lose and get nothing.

But sadly I do not think the league will do that because the way the system works now, it artificially makes teams look better. Take the Flames. In 50 games, the Flames have only won 24 times. So they haven't even won half their games yet because they have 9 loser points, they are still in the playoff hunt.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817527 is a reply to message #817526 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Another change I would make is what counts as a goal. I would allow goals to directed in with your skate. Right now the rule is if you are just standing there and the puck goes off your skate by accident, it's legal but if you move the skate in anyway to "direct the puck" on purpose, it can be called back. So that leads to debate and interpretation on did he do it on purpose, etc, etc. So I would eliminate that. For safety reasons, I don't want players lifting their skate off the ice and booting in a puck but as long as your blade isn't off the ice, good goal.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817528 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 09:47

It's NHL all-star weekend! While the NHL is a great product and a league that we all enjoy I think there is some room for improvement. For example, there is an annual showcase that no one bothers to watch yet is somehow partially built for advertisers. No wait, it's actually so you can watch the out of town superstars because the league's broadcast policies are so stupid it's difficult and expensive to watch other teams play. So let's gather round the old internet campfire and fix this league.

Bring ideas to the group, build on posted ideas, or just politely explain why I'm wrong. Let's go!

I's actually really easy to watch any team that isn't "local". The package is a bit expensive in Canada, but it's now fairly reasonable in the US. I understand that some of the blackout zones are messed up, but you still get most.

It's the local access that is really screwed up for some. Local rights are sold to regional networks that aren't available on all cable providers. I'm not sure how the league fixes this. Local rights are sold to the highest bidder, and that company makes deals for access. I suppose the league could wait out those deals and force the teams to broadcast in a more friendly way, but those regional sports networks offer a significantly larger amount of money than other broadcast avenues.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817529 is a reply to message #817528 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 11:11

I's actually really easy to watch any team that isn't "local". The package is a bit expensive in Canada, but it's now fairly reasonable in the US. I understand that some of the blackout zones are messed up, but you still get most.

It's the local access that is really screwed up for some. Local rights are sold to regional networks that aren't available on all cable providers. I'm not sure how the league fixes this. Local rights are sold to the highest bidder, and that company makes deals for access. I suppose the league could wait out those deals and force the teams to broadcast in a more friendly way, but those regional sports networks offer a significantly larger amount of money than other broadcast avenues.

What I mean by difficult and expensive is a normal viewer in Canada, watching on cable, can't access teams that don't move the needle in the national market. Carolina, Florida, and Buffalo are really fun teams to watch but unless a person makes the decision to buy the expensive (in Canada) NHL package or find a stream it's like those teams don't exist. I'm not sure if you can get the NHL package without buying the cable package first in Canada.

Agreed on the local and regional packages being needlessly confusing. Why Edmonton fans have to figure out which Sportsnet channel the game is on (and why there isn't a freaking pre-game show) is beyond me.

The ESPN+ blackout policy OF94 described is insane. What the heck is a Vegas, Seattle, Denver region anywhere? Why not show the game AND the commercials on ESPN+ to, you know, get more eyes on the product and advertisers?

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817531 is a reply to message #817529 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 11:21

The ESPN+ blackout policy OF94 described is insane. What the heck is a Vegas, Seattle, Denver region anywhere? Why not show the game AND the commercials on ESPN+ to, you know, get more eyes on the product and advertisers?

I'm assuming Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and others which were Colorado region, then Vegas got a team and it was both, then Sattle got a team ......

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817534 is a reply to message #817531 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 13:41

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 11:21

I'm assuming Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and others which were Colorado region, then Vegas got a team and it was both, then Sattle got a team ......

Yup, that is exactly what happened.

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:06

- Reduce the schedule. 100+ games of this sport is insane when you include playoffs, pre-season, world cups etc. I want to see healthy squads, and more time between game days + less games for injury will mean healthier squads. It will make the games more meaningful. I would pay more to go to a game if they weren’t so diluted and the teams were healthy.

- Get rid of blackouts entirely. Do whatever you have to do. Figure it out with the regions. I am in BC. It’s infuriating when I have Sportsnet 1, 360, and West, yet I cannot watch the Oilers game because its only on West and it is blacked out in my region. Way to market Connor McDavid.

- NHL could get less traditional about things. Some ideas I have liked is that if you come in first, pick your opponent. If you come in second, you get the next pick. If you get a penalty shot, you can opt to take the powerplay. Stuff like that. Add some drama.

- Make the games matter for teams mathematically out of the playoffs. The best idea I heard for that is to make draft position based on the amount of points you get while eliminated from playoff contention. It still kinds of works out for the worst teams, because they get eliminated earlier so they have more opportunities to win after that.

I've never heard of that idea about the penalty shot, I like that one. NHL might get concerned everyone will pick the powerplay though, and take away what is otherwise a rare and exciting play (albeit less exciting since the shootout was implemented back in 2005).

I used to really like the idea of awarding the #1 pick on which bad team does the best after elimination, but over time I've decided against it. Bad teams will be less likely to trade players at the deadline, and I have never heard anyone say "I like the NHL, but there are just too many trades". To fix one problem you make another worse. At this point I think the NHL has done all they can, and teams that tank will just have to deal with the fact that they instilled a losing mentality into their organization that might last longer in the organization than the guy they were tanking for...

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817530 is a reply to message #817528 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Part of the reason why other leagues have more interest is there is more player movement, i.e trades. The NHL cap really makes it difficult to move players. I would like to see the league allow each team 1 or 2 buyouts per year that do not have cap penalties. Make it so if a player has a No Move, he has to agree with it. The goal of the union is for it's members to make as much money as they can. By allowing buy outs without penalty, you would open up more money to be spend on other players and also allow for movement around the league.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817532 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

- Reduce the schedule. 100+ games of this sport is insane when you include playoffs, pre-season, world cups etc. I want to see healthy squads, and more time between game days + less games for injury will mean healthier squads. It will make the games more meaningful. I would pay more to go to a game if they weren’t so diluted and the teams were healthy.

- Get rid of blackouts entirely. Do whatever you have to do. Figure it out with the regions. I am in BC. It’s infuriating when I have Sportsnet 1, 360, and West, yet I cannot watch the Oilers game because its only on West and it is blacked out in my region. Way to market Connor McDavid.

- NHL could get less traditional about things. Some ideas I have liked is that if you come in first, pick your opponent. If you come in second, you get the next pick. If you get a penalty shot, you can opt to take the powerplay. Stuff like that. Add some drama.

- Make the games matter for teams mathematically out of the playoffs. The best idea I heard for that is to make draft position based on the amount of points you get while eliminated from playoff contention. It still kinds of works out for the worst teams, because they get eliminated earlier so they have more opportunities to win after that.

Clean house or bust

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817535 is a reply to message #817532 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 12:06

Having blackouts always piss me off it's even worse when they black out other teams games. When I am at home in RD and I try to watch a Canucks game just because, I can't. Why are you blacking out a person in another market who can't buy tickets to see the game. Especially when I am already paying for Sportsnet and the game is on SPortsnet Pacific!

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817536 is a reply to message #817535 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

1. Get rid of the shootout. Only major sport to resort to a mini game to decided potential playoff spots. Play a 10 minute 5 on 5 OT period. If no one wins its a tie.

2. Get rid of the loser point. Again why should a team be rewarded for managing to get to overtime. Its stupid.

3. Fix the officiating. Both on ice and in the video review in Toronto. It is atrocious. I don't know a quick fix to this one.

4. Get that sorry excuse of a franchise out of Arizona and get them to Quebec City pronto.

5. Make the All Star weekend good again. This gimmicky crap and 3 on 3 again just sucks.

6. No Jersey ads

7. Ditto on live board ads.

8. Arrange the draft lottery so any team in the NHL can win 1st overall with odds weighted based on standings.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2023 14:06]

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817537 is a reply to message #817536 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:04

1. Get rid of the shootout. Only major sport to resort to a mini game to decided potential playoff spots. Play a 10 minute 5 on 5 OT period. If no one wins its a tie.

2. Get rid of the loser point. Again why should a team be rewarded for managing to get to overtime. Its stupid.

The World Cup has been decided on penalty shots.

The shoot out and and loser points are kind of necessary in low scoring games like the NHL and soccer where a goal can't be reasonably expected in a short overtime. I remember the dead puck era where both teams spent the last 10 minutes of the 3rd and overtime playing for the time. It killed games. At least now if they play for the tie and overtime is usually pretty good.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817538 is a reply to message #817537 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:15

The shoot out and and loser points are kind of necessary in low scoring games like the NHL and soccer where a goal can't be reasonably expected in a short overtime. I remember the dead puck era where both teams spent the last 10 minutes of the 3rd and overtime playing for the time. It killed games. At least now if they play for the tie and overtime is usually pretty good.

I have noticed the opposite. I find teams play more now just to get it to overtime for the loser point. Remember back in the 90's when the Devils pulled their goalie in overtime on the last game of the season because they needed 2 points to make the playoffs. Then they pulled it off. That exciting moment can't even happen under these rules. Teams are less likely to play for overtime if getting to overtime didn't reward them or guarantee anything.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2023 14:24]

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817541 is a reply to message #817538 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:22

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:15

I have noticed the opposite. I find teams play more now just to get it to overtime for the loser point. Remember back in the 90's when the Devils pulled their goalie in overtime on the last game of the season because they needed 2 points to make the playoffs. Then they pulled it off. That exciting moment can't even happen under these rules.

That's a special circumstance. Needing 2 points from the last game of the season doesn't compare to a February game against Columbus. I think the 3-2-1-0 system solves both problems, but causes the NHL record book to be set on fire.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817542 is a reply to message #817541 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I hate that even worse then the current system. A win should be a win a loss should be a loss. He'll I'd even be for abandoning points and going strictly off win percentage. But the shoot out would need to go for that to be fair.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817543 is a reply to message #817542 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:29

I hate that even worse then the current system. A win should be a win a loss should be a loss. He'll I'd even be for abandoning points and going strictly off win percentage. But the shoot out would need to go for that to be fair.

How about the old pee wee tournament system? Start at 4 on 4 go to 3 on 3 then 2 on 2?

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817544 is a reply to message #817543 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:33

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 14:29

How about the old pee wee tournament system? Start at 4 on 4 go to 3 on 3 then 2 on 2?

Could be interesting. Keep taking a man off every 5 minutes until a goal is scored. Still requires the basic team elements of hockey. Unbalanced schedule is a problem though but on the surface I kinda like the idea. Then just determine standings based on winning percentage. Sorta like baseball.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817546 is a reply to message #817536 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

3. Fix the officiating. Both on ice and in the video review in Toronto. It is atrocious. I don't know a quick fix to this one.

4. Get that sorry excuse of a franchise out of Arizona and get them to Quebec City pronto.

5. Make the All Star weekend good again. This gimmicky crap and 3 on 3 again just sucks.

6. No Jersey ads

7. Ditto on live board ads.

8. Arrange the draft lottery so any team in the NHL can win 1st overall with odds weighted based on standings.

I disagree with ties. The last thing the NHL needs to do is to make the games longer. Handing out ties again is no better than giving the loser point, it's probably worse. Where is the incentive to win the game in OT if you are guaranteed a point for a tie if you are a bottom feeder team? If I am a crappy team and I have played the 60 mins and I am tied, I am stoked. In OT, I am locking that game down as much as possible. I am stacking the center line with 4 guys, having 1 guy back in the D zone. Anytime the puck comes near me, I am making sure I am 1 step over center so it's not icing and firing it back down into the zone over and over again. I won't forecheck, or take a single chance. I sit back for 10 mins and say try to get past me at center, I'm playing for the the tie point I wasn't supposed to get. At least with 3 on 3 and then a shoot out, there is a winner. This is pro sports, there should be a winner and a loser, not participation points.

The Allstar weekend can never be good. What makes hockey great is the speed of the players, the physicality and the guys putting their bodies on the line for their team. No player is going to be playing down blocking shots or trying to hammer guy and risk being injured in an All Star game. All it will be is what it used to be, 5 guys on the ice over passing, doing everything they can to not get in a way of a puck or a shot or trying to get hurt.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817547 is a reply to message #817546 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:47

The Allstar weekend can never be good. What makes hockey great is the speed of the players, the physicality and the guys putting their bodies on the line for their team. No player is going to be playing down blocking shots or trying to hammer guy and risk being injured in an All Star game. All it will be is what it used to be, 5 guys on the ice over passing, doing everything they can to not get in a way of a puck or a shot or trying to get hurt.

I have wondered with the all-star game, when did it lose it's value? I feel like it had value in the 80s and into the 90s, but sometime in the 00s it had a huge drop off. Maybe it was just my perception of it as I got older, but the last one I remember being fun at all was 2004, and by 2007 it just didn't matter at all anymore. Or did requiring each team to have at least 1 person there cause it to lose it's value? Thinking of Petr Buzek at the 2000 all-star game. Really though, is this just an event for kids to watch and the rest of us don't care about as we get older and increasingly grumpy?

NHL should switch back to the 5 on 5 east vs west format though. I also thought for a while that they should do this after the season ended (like the pro-bowl) but unless you start hosting the game in Hawaii then you are definitely not getting any players to go, and even then I am not sure how many Euro players you can convince to fly across the world in the middle of vacation for a game when they are out of practice. What I would prefer is for them to do it like baseball, and whichever conference wins gets home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup Final. GIve the game some kind of meaning.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817549 is a reply to message #817547 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 15:00

I have wondered with the all-star game, when did it lose it's value? I feel like it had value in the 80s and into the 90s, but sometime in the 00s it had a huge drop off. Maybe it was just my perception of it as I got older, but the last one I remember being fun at all was 2004, and by 2007 it just didn't matter at all anymore. Or did requiring each team to have at least 1 person there cause it to lose it's value? Thinking of Petr Buzek at the 2000 all-star game. Really though, is this just an event for kids to watch and the rest of us don't care about as we get older and increasingly grumpy?

NHL should switch back to the 5 on 5 east vs west format though. I also thought for a while that they should do this after the season ended (like the pro-bowl) but unless you start hosting the game in Hawaii then you are definitely not getting any players to go, and even then I am not sure how many Euro players you can convince to fly across the world in the middle of vacation for a game when they are out of practice. What I would prefer is for them to do it like baseball, and whichever conference wins gets home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup Final. GIve the game some kind of meaning.

Maybe I just don't remember the 80's games but I don't ever remember the All Star games being must see. It was always guys cruising around laughing trying not to get in the way of passes for the other team.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817550 is a reply to message #817547 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 15:00

The value of the all star game to fans started to fade with cable tv and died with the modern (post-smart phone) internet. In the old games we got one Toronto or Montreal game on Saturday, one game mid-week on ITV, and maybe three minutes of league highlights on the nightly news. Now if a junior B player does something cool there's a good chance you'll get to see it within 24 hours and if you don't it's still on the internet somewhere. The all star game now simply has nothing to draw my eyes to it. I can see any game I want, I can find any play I want, I can follow any player I want. I don't need to see a made for TV advertising special.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817539 is a reply to message #817535 ]

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 13:08

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 12:06

Having blackouts always piss me off it's even worse when they black out other teams games. When I am at home in RD and I try to watch a Canucks game just because, I can't. Why are you blacking out a person in another market who can't buy tickets to see the game. Especially when I am already paying for Sportsnet and the game is on SPortsnet Pacific!

It kind of makes sense to blackout other games regionally if you're worried a Canucks game will cost the Oilers game eyeballs. Kind of. But when the Oilers aren't playing, the NHL and Sportsnet should want Alberta eyes on those Canucks games. It blows my mind that the Sportsnet national package doesn't include every extra American game possible that's being played when the Canadian market doesn't have a team going.

I still think most hockey fans are actually just fans of their team and it wouldn't cost the Oilers anything to have the Canucks on Sportsnet Pacific, but what do I know?

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817548 is a reply to message #817532 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

A few thoughts:

- agree completely on start times. If it's supposed to start at 7:30, try to make it start no later than 7:35. If they're going to do a bunch of hullabaloo ahead of the puck drop, then figure a way to start it earlier and tell fans to be in the stands early. They always seem to be doing SOMETHING now that drags it out and I don't think it adds a lot of value.

- before looking at changes to the game, figure out what the likely impact is to scoring and whether it's really a good idea from that. Goals are exciting. The league builds highlight packages around them, they want to see records threatened, etc. so why are all the rules more likely to wipe goals off the boards? Yes, Matt Duchene was a country mile off-side one time a decade ago and some chump linesman missed it...does that really mean that we should be going back 45 seconds before a goal to examine whether someone's toe was on the ice? No. Scrap off-side video review and accept that sometimes referees and linesmen will make small errors. If someone screws up like the Duchene goal, then maybe that guy doesn't see a minute of post-season action, but it isn't worth wiping out 50 goals a year.

- Same thing for goalie interference. If it was so imperceptible that the referees didn't catch it in the action then do we really need them to huddle over an iPad for 15 minutes trying to decide whether they missed something or whether Corey Perry will be upset if they call it back? Just count them as goals. The ridiculous thing is that there could be 10 different blatant penalties that weren't called in a shift leading up to a goal, and then they reverse a decision because of incidental contact with the goalie. Personally, I never thought goalies should be off-limits. Like anyone else, if you go too far, then a penalty gets called or you could cost yourself a goal, but some of the little interference on goalies is just gamesmanship - think Ryan Smyth hitting the top of the goalstick to lift up the paddle - and now it would get a goal called off on review. Again, I would stop reviewing goals on that basis.

- Video review to me should be only on things like did the puck go in the net, and on that, the NHL should probably have more consistency. There's often different interpretations of that if the puck is under the goalie or in his glove. While it was against us, I didn't mind the call of a good goal when Campbell's whole hand was in the net. I don't really think you could see the puck on the other side of the goal line, but does it matter? His whole hand was in the net and the puck was in the glove so of course it was in. Also - this use of video is more likely to be at least 50/50 on adding versus deleting goals. The old Sergei Fedorov goal where he hit the back bar would be counted (as it ultimately was and should have been) on video. There will be some where the puck bounced funny off the outer bar and didn't go in. But unlike the previous two points it isn't ONLY taking goals off the board.

- Refs should grow a pair and call diving penalties without ALWAYS calling the infraction too. Sometimes a dive is flagrant and can just be rewarded with a solo trip to the box. I can't remember the last time I actually saw that in the NHL. Whenever they call a dive, they seem to want to send both guys.

- I don't think it'll ever happen but I would like to see every game have the same number of points. I don't hate the idea that after regulation each team gets a point but then there's two more for the winner and a regulation win is worth 3...I think the NHL's argument is that optically it seems like more teams are out of it faster with big numbers, but to me that's just silly. We have 2.5 months left in the NHL season and even under the current system it is pretty clear to me that there are at least 10 teams with no chance of the post season, and it's probably closer to 12 or 14 actually. Are there really a lot of fans of the Canucks and Senators who are fooled right now in to thinking their teams are about to go on a big run and surprise everyone? If not, then there's really no validity to that argument.

- I'd stay on top of goalie equipment too. I believe as soon as the focus is ever taken away from it, the goalies immediately start cheating again. Want to make it fair for the goalies? No illegal curves either, with it the responsibility of the team's equipment staff to check those and some ramifications if there's cheating on either front.

There's probably a lot more but those were the first things that came to mind. That, and a rigourous dedication to calling the actual penalty book and to being consistent around it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817540 is a reply to message #817521 ]
feepa  is currently offline feepa

No Cups

they pick the wrong week/weekend to do the all-star break. I could care less for it, along with the pro-bowl or anything else similar. So with the NFL left to just the superbowl, and the NHL out... I'm left to find other activities but its usually typically cold February, so I end up watching Netflix. Could be some good viewership this week for a regular NHL week.
I guess what I'm saying is move it to a different weekend than the pro-bowl.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817551 is a reply to message #817540 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If the league wants to keep video review to "get it right" whether that is offside or goalie interference. Then limit the review time you have to look at a play to 1 min max. 1 minute is more than enough time to catch the blatantly obvious offsides, like the Duchense goal. If you have to zoom in, go frame by frame and do that with 3 or 4 angles to determine if a play is onside, well then it's too close to call. If they play is ready to go on the tablet, if a linesmen can't see that a guy is 2 ft off side within 1 mins of looking at it, well then you need to fire him.

I would also like Adam said not allow then to go back too far. Set a limit of how far you can go back from the time the goal was scored. You should be reviewing bang bang plays. Puck goes over the line, a few seconds later it's in the net. Not puck goes over, gets cycled for 30 seconds, gets batted around a bit, then the goal is scored.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817552 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

At first I read this as fox the all star game which is one of the most broken useless things of the NHL which shouldn’t be. Go back to East vs West, best players make it AND have the game actually mean something so that the players actually show up, have them play for at home ice advantage or something along those lines so the game is entertaining!

Also skills comp, NBA does it awesome!
Have the fastest guys from the start of the year race, not like some odd guys thrown together. Hardest shot same thing and same with the best on break aways against best goalies.

As for the NHL itself, start games on time or at least shortly after. Keep penalty calls consistent. Let the players show their personalities to expand the revenue of the sport like Kane was saying.. all the other leagues bring in so much more money and our sport is the best imo.. let’s make that NFL/MLB/NBA money.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817553 is a reply to message #817552 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

How do you make the All Star game mean anything to the players?

Serious question. Do you want McD going full out driving the net in an All Star game and risk spraining an ankle or blowing out his knee and maybe be out for the rest of the Oilers season because some Eastern All star hacks him down? I sure don't.

I'd actually prefer McD and Leon not go and just get the time off to rest their bodies for the season.

I get the allstar game is more about all the big name sponsors getting to hang out with the elite players of the NHL. So go ahead and do that. Have the "Allstars" show up and shake hands with who ever CEO and fans of that City. Put them in the skills comp if you want but make the game about rookies. Every team send their rookies.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817554 is a reply to message #817553 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Double post

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2023 16:29]

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817556 is a reply to message #817554 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:09

Serious question. Do you want McD going full out driving the net in an All Star game and risk spraining an ankle or blowing out his knee and maybe be out for the rest of the Oilers season because some Eastern All star hacks him down? I sure don't.

I'd actually prefer McD and Leon not go and just get the time off to rest their bodies for the season.

I get the allstar game is more about all the big name sponsors getting to hang out with the elite players of the NHL. So go ahead and do that. Have the "Allstars" show up and shake hands with who ever CEO and fans of that City. Put them in the skills comp if you want but make the game about rookies. Every team send their rookies.

A simpler solution. Don't hold the All Star game during the regular season. Play it in the summer.

Same scenario. Do you want McD driving the net full speed in an All Star game and have him lose an edge or get Giorando'd and he blows out his knee and is out for 3,4, 5 months in a game that means nothing to the Oilers? I sure don't.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817557 is a reply to message #817556 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:31

A simpler solution. Don't hold the All Star game during the regular season. Play it in the summer.

Same scenario. Do you want McD driving the net full speed in an All Star game and have him lose an edge or get Giorando'd and he blows out his knee and is out for 3,4, 5 months in a game that means nothing to the Oilers? I sure don't.

You worry too much about what ifs. McDavid is way more likely to get hurt in a preseason game then an allstar game. Very few people looking to make a name for themselves in a all star game. These guys aren't stupid. They wont take unnecessary risks in a ASG no matter the incentive.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817558 is a reply to message #817557 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

The month before the trade deadline, teams should be allowed an extra 10% above cap. Right now most teams are up against the cap, meaning everyone is a logjam. GMs can't improve their teams for the final run, and the NHL can't sell what should be one of the most exciting days of the year.

You can argue til you are blue in the face that the GMs should be smarter with their cap... fair enough. But when 80% of the other GMs are trying to outspend each other for the same players it's inevitable in a competitive salary capped league that strives for parity.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817559 is a reply to message #817557 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 15:36

You worry too much about what ifs. McDavid is way more likely to get hurt in a preseason game then an allstar game. Very few people looking to make a name for themselves in a all star game. These guys aren't stupid. They wont take unnecessary risks in a ASG no matter the incentive.

Horcoff literally was broken at the one all star game he got and was never the same.

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmonton-oilers-forward-shawn-horco ff-out-for-season-with-shoulder-injury/c-375949

Quote:

February 4, 2008

EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) -Edmonton Oilers center Shawn Horcoff will miss the rest of the season with a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

The 29-year-old forward, who leads the team with 50 points in 53 games this season, aggravated the injury when fell awkwardly at the NHL All-Star game in Atlanta on Jan. 27.

"I tweaked it three times before that already this season," Horcoff said. "Each time you do it, it gets worse.

"That's the thing that scared me the most. It was just a harmless play. I got clipped from behind a little bit and I just went to catch myself on the ice. It (shoulder) sublexed. It popped in and out."

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817560 is a reply to message #817559 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:48

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 15:36

Horcoff literally was broken at the one all star game he got and was never the same.

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmonton-oilers-forward-shawn-horco ff-out-for-season-with-shoulder-injury/c-375949

Quote:

February 4, 2008

EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) -Edmonton Oilers center Shawn Horcoff will miss the rest of the season with a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

The 29-year-old forward, who leads the team with 50 points in 53 games this season, aggravated the injury when fell awkwardly at the NHL All-Star game in Atlanta on Jan. 27.

"I tweaked it three times before that already this season," Horcoff said. "Each time you do it, it gets worse.

"That's the thing that scared me the most. It was just a harmless play. I got clipped from behind a little bit and I just went to catch myself on the ice. It (shoulder) sublexed. It popped in and out."

You cant plan for freak circumstance. My dad did the same thing tying his shoe. Other then not playing you cant prevent that.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2023 17:01]

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817578 is a reply to message #817557 ]
Fri, 03 February 2023 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:36

The only players who go to an all star game are the teams best players. The guys who if they get hurt, your team is in trouble. So I worry too much about someone taking out McD. Fine. Do you think the Avs want Makar sprawling out to block a shot in an All Star game and maybe risk breaking a bone?

This thread is about improving the league. So explain to me the value of making the All Star game a super competitive game? So the league does whatever to the All Star game so all the stars are going their max. They are skating as hard as they can, driving the net, finishing every check, blocking shots, getting chippy at every whistle. How does that improve the quality of the game so the regular season is better? So in game 55 or whatever next season on a Tuesday/Wednesday night against a lousy opponent, which is going to happen next year, we can all sit down and go "hey, this is a great game, thank you All Star game for making the league do_______________. So what's in the blank that improving the competitiveness that the All Star game currently lacks, will do to improve the overall game.

Let's keep in mind that the NBA All Star game is for the most part terrible in regards to the quality of the game. It's watching the stars travel their way up and down the court to perform various dunks while defenders kind of sort of reach their hands out to "defend". No one is throwing an elbow in Lebron's jaw to stop him like they do in the regular season. The NFL just got rid of the Pro Bowl game and replaced it with skills competition and flag football. So what are the chances that flag football game is going to be on par competition wise with a Monday Night football game late in the season with playoffs spots on the line? I am going to go out on a limb here and say the fellas in that flag football game probably aren't going as hard or trying to inflict as much punishment to their opponent in the NFL's All Star game. Just a hunch here.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2023 08:29]

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817582 is a reply to message #817578 ]
Fri, 03 February 2023 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 03 February 2023 08:19

The only players who go to an all star game are the teams best players. The guys who if they get hurt, your team is in trouble. So I worry too much about someone taking out McD. Fine. Do you think the Avs want Makar sprawling out to block a shot in an All Star game and maybe risk breaking a bone?

This thread is about improving the league. So explain to me the value of making the All Star game a super competitive game? So the league does whatever to the All Star game so all the stars are going their max. They are skating as hard as they can, driving the net, finishing every check, blocking shots, getting chippy at every whistle. How does that improve the quality of the game so the regular season is better? So in game 55 or whatever next season on a Tuesday/Wednesday night against a lousy opponent, which is going to happen next year, we can all sit down and go "hey, this is a great game, thank you All Star game for making the league do_______________. So what's in the blank that improving the competitiveness that the All Star game currently lacks, will do to improve the overall game.

Let's keep in mind that the NBA All Star game is for the most part terrible in regards to the quality of the game. It's watching the stars travel their way up and down the court to perform various dunks while defenders kind of sort of reach their hands out to "defend". No one is throwing an elbow in Lebron's jaw to stop him like they do in the regular season. The NFL just got rid of the Pro Bowl game and replaced it with skills competition and flag football. So what are the chances that flag football game is going to be on par competition wise with a Monday Night football game late in the season with playoffs spots on the line? I am going to go out on a limb here and say the fellas in that flag football game probably aren't going as hard or trying to inflict as much punishment to their opponent in the NFL's All Star game. Just a hunch here.

What is your point here? Your worried about someone taking a run at McDavid in a All-Star game which would never happen to begin with. Your worried about Makar theoretically blocking a shot in a All Star game and getting hurt (also would never happen). I guess preseason is out. I mean if you cant stand up to bonafide NHL Allstars playing high skill shiny then we could never risk them having their head getting taken off by some gomer that plays in the ECHL.

The ASG is a chance for the players to just have fun and engage with the fans. We get to see their personalities more then usual. Its more geared towards young fans. Players visit schools in the host cities. If you want hockey played at a playoff pace and intensity. Then just go home. Its not the point.

It can also be quite the boon for the city hosting usually bringing in tens of millions in direct visitor spending locally.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2023 10:57]

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817583 is a reply to message #817582 ]
Fri, 03 February 2023 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 03 February 2023 10:52

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 03 February 2023 08:19

What is your point here? Your worried about someone taking a run at McDavid in a All-Star game which would never happen to begin with. Your worried about Makar theoretically blocking a shot in a All Star game and getting hurt (also would never happen). I guess preseason is out. I mean if you cant stand up to bonafide NHL Allstars playing high skill shiny then we could never risk them having their head getting taken off by some gomer that plays in the ECHL.

The ASG is a chance for the players to just have fun and engage with the fans. We get to see their personalities more then usual. Its more geared towards young fans. Players visit schools in the host cities. If you want hockey played at a playoff pace and intensity. Then just go home. Its not the point.

It can also be quite the boon for the city hosting usually bringing in tens of millions in direct visitor spending locally.

This thread was made to talk about things the NHL can do to improve the NHL product. People have brought up changes to the schedule and start times to make it easier for people to go and watch games because there would be more predictability in the schedule. Rule changes have been brought up to improve play. Changes to review to speed up the game but also increase scoring so goals aren't taken away for incidental things. Continue to monitor goalie gear so they can't cheat.

You brought up things like getting rid of the rink boards that has zero impact on how the game is played and making the All Star game good again because the current format is crap in your opinion. So like I said, I am curious what a better All Star game does to improve the quality of the NHL game? I know that if they keep on the goalies not to cheat, that will improve scoring. I know that if they revise what can be reviewed and their review process, they will speed up the game and probably result in more goals counting that should. But I don't know what improving the All Star game does to improve the regular season so I asked the question to you.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tarasenko trade
Next Topic:Canucks Press Conference - Announcing Tocchet
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca