This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2022-23 Trade Speculation ThreadPages (12): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817751 is a reply to message #817748 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 12:17

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 11:59

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 10:06

I actually think that Barrie is unlikely to be moved. He seems to be a BIG part of that team both on and off the ice. If a dman is going out, I think it would be Ceci or Bouchard.

Any trade including Bouchard is insanity.

I have little respect for our decrepit general manager, but I can't think he values Tyson Barrie more than Evan Bouchard.

A trade like that ends up looking like the Hall deal very quickly, especially if in return we take back someone like Karlsson who could be an albatross of a contract to deal with - even if the Sharks take some of the hit.

I am not advocating to trade Bouchard what so ever. But I do not see him as untouchable. If he is needed as part of a package to get yourself an upgrade on him on the right side, I believe you have to look at it.

I see Bouchard as a point producing (50 pts), PP QB, second pairing(#4) right shot guy who on a good day can be OK defensively. So a slightly bigger, slight upgrade on Barrie. Maybe things can change, but I do not see the defensively awareness what so ever in his game needed to advanced past that. The mistakes he does and the lack of defensively awareness he shows to me is concerning because a lot of what he isn't doing I see as basic stuff and I don't see the urgency in his game to improve on that.

When all the talk was about Broberg being on the team this year at the start, he talked about placing and emphasis on defending, not worrying about points. I can literally see the emphasis in his game on wanting to defend better as he's improving all the time. I don't see that in BOuchard's game, the want to improve on the areas he lacks in.

So I have concerns.

Bouchard is maybe already the Oilers best defenceman. He is capable of moving the puck up ice, and he can put up points at even strength. His season looks a bit more uneven, which is a godsend to the Oilers actually, given his free agent status. But over the last couple months, he's been very stable and productive.

Broberg is helpful and a decent player, but he's not got the same ceiling, so if you HAD to trade one, then you would be foolish to choose Bouchard over the Swede. Ideally, you keep them both, of course.

Is he untouchable? Almost no one is untouchable. But there's a very short list of players I'd be dealing Bouchard to get. The list I'd deal Broberg for is much longer. Kulak and Barrie? No issue with trading those guys!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817752 is a reply to message #817751 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Again, these things are always susceptible to being total BS. With that said, the parts that were said unequivocally were: "big surprise", "big money player", and "two roster players out".

Chychrun isn't a huge surprise but is a pretty significant get, and the two roster players out likely form the "money out" part of a deal. I think you have to see Bourgault, Schaeffer or Lavoie plus a first round pick to give Arizona the value for a coveted asset on a Klefbom-like deal.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817754 is a reply to message #817752 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 12:46

Again, these things are always susceptible to being total BS. With that said, the parts that were said unequivocally were: "big surprise", "big money player", and "two roster players out".

Chychrun isn't a huge surprise but is a pretty significant get, and the two roster players out likely form the "money out" part of a deal. I think you have to see Bourgault, Schaeffer or Lavoie plus a first round pick to give Arizona the value for a coveted asset on a Klefbom-like deal.

If you managed to get Chrycrun without giving up Broberg, that defence starts to look pretty formidable.

As I said, it probably means you need to backfill a little up front but there should be some options there in the next couple weeks.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817755 is a reply to message #817754 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 15:57

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 12:46

If you managed to get Chrycrun without giving up Broberg, that defence starts to look pretty formidable.

As I said, it probably means you need to backfill a little up front but there should be some options there in the next couple weeks.

This year plus 2 more of Chychrun at his salary is one of the most enticing assets in the league IMO. I don't think he's an all time great Dman or anything, but he would instantly be one of our best Dmen, if not the best.

I'm 100% with you - we're never going to have a duo like Connor and Leon again. The next 3 years are crucial. I really don't care about picks in the next few years.

If you can get Chychrun without losing Broberg or Bouchard, oh boy. The underpayment to Chychrun would at least make up for part of the overpayment to Nurse. And with a bit of a load off his shoulders, maybe he gets back to being the guy who got some votes for the Norris (finished 7th in 20-21)

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817744 is a reply to message #817740 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Take out either Bourgault or the 1st, and I could be on board with the second trade. A big NO to the first one ...

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817745 is a reply to message #817740 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 09:59

A guy who definitely could know something based on proximity: "Holland has a big surprise to announce soon. Big money player in, two roster players out."

Maybe something exciting is afoot??

My guess: Erik Karlsson 50% retained for Jesse, Barrie, Bourgault and a first.
More likely: Chychrun for Jesse, Kulak, Bourgault and a first.

The second trade is just way too much to give up for Chyrchun. That's in the range you give up for a Norris guy.

JP is an NHL player he's just making way too much for what he produced. Cut his salary in half and he could easily be a low scoring, decent defensively bottom 6 guy for a long time.

Kulak is a good dman. He skates well, defends pretty well. Maybe not an everyday impact top 4 guy but he's a very good #5 who could play in your top 4 if you have a decent partner for him and he's signed to a reasonable contract.

Then you are giving up 2 first round picks basically.

Too much.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817747 is a reply to message #817745 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 11:50

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 09:59

A guy who definitely could know something based on proximity: "Holland has a big surprise to announce soon. Big money player in, two roster players out."

Maybe something exciting is afoot??

My guess: Erik Karlsson 50% retained for Jesse, Barrie, Bourgault and a first.
More likely: Chychrun for Jesse, Kulak, Bourgault and a first.

The second trade is just way too much to give up for Chyrchun. That's in the range you give up for a Norris guy.

JP is an NHL player he's just making way too much for what he produced. Cut his salary in half and he could easily be a low scoring, decent defensively bottom 6 guy for a long time.

Kulak is a good dman. He skates well, defends pretty well. Maybe not an everyday impact top 4 guy but he's a very good #5 who could play in your top 4 if you have a decent partner for him and he's signed to a reasonable contract.

Then you are giving up 2 first round picks basically.

Too much.

Really good defenceman under contract at a fantastic rate for another two years after this for a mediocre defender who's being paid too much for too long, an expiring contract on a player who's struggling a prospect and a first round draft pick that is in the 20s?

That's actually not that bad. My only concern would be that I think you need a second trade to bolster the top six wings.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817750 is a reply to message #817747 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am not saying Chychrun isn't a good player but I am not giving up 2 roster players, a first round pick from last year and a first round pick in what's supposed to a very good draft for a good second pairing guy. To me, that package is pretty close to what you give up for a guy who will be in the running for a norris. He is not that guy.

That's close to what they got for Pronger to the Ducks. They got Lupul, Smid and 2 firsts. Lupul came off a good year for the Ducks so he would be better than JP. Smid was a minor league dman at the time. Kulak is a legit, decent NHL dman probably best suited for #5 but can be a #4 at times so I give the edge to Kulak as a player. Then the 2 firsts.

Pronger was a superior dman to Chychrun and it took 4 good assets. I am not giving up 4 good assets to get Chychrun, that's too much.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817753 is a reply to message #817750 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 12:30

I am not saying Chychrun isn't a good player but I am not giving up 2 roster players, a first round pick from last year and a first round pick in what's supposed to a very good draft for a good second pairing guy. To me, that package is pretty close to what you give up for a guy who will be in the running for a norris. He is not that guy.

That's close to what they got for Pronger to the Ducks. They got Lupul, Smid and 2 firsts. Lupul came off a good year for the Ducks so he would be better than JP. Smid was a minor league dman at the time. Kulak is a legit, decent NHL dman probably best suited for #5 but can be a #4 at times so I give the edge to Kulak as a player. Then the 2 firsts.

The fact is, Bourgault and the first don't play much of a role in the remaining time in McDavid's contract here. Puljujarvi is gone at year's end no matter what, so you're talking about giving up Kulak and some people who don't matter for a guy who's very good and will be with you for the next two critical years. He'd take a bunch of time away from Darnell Nurse on the Left Side, which is desperately needed.

I would definitely try to sell them on a first OR Bourgault, or sub in Reid Schaefer for Bourgault, but I don't think it is ridiculous and I think the Oilers NEED to look at things specifically with their next 2-3 years firmly in mind. Anything that isn't in that window is worth trading away and not a priority to keep. If we don't win a Cup in that time, then you may as well just move the team anyhow.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817749 is a reply to message #817740 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Worth noting - I think it makes sense to be in these conversations early. Holland is a big believer in only trading at the trade deadline, so I doubt we see something in the first half of the month, but there's sometimes something to be said to being out of the gate before the market is set.

If the other teams believe that you're possibly not going to move, then sure, waiting until the last minute might get them to drop their prices. But he's told the whole world that that's his play, so rather than making the sellers feel like the deadline is staring them down, they know that he's up against it and that he really wants to make a deal happen still. That flips the script and they can put the screws to him on the price they're extracting, rather than seeing their value drop at the end. This is how you end up getting two draft picks and Gagner for Athanasiou, and how you end up with third pairing defencemen being worth 2nd round picks.

Having been upfront with the media about how he negotiates, he needs to do something different if he hopes to be successful, but, well, old dog, new trick and all that.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817827 is a reply to message #817749 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I think the key to a Chychrun trade is two fold IMO. First you trade 4 assets instead of 3 to add Bjugstad in the trade. 2 high end assets and 2 decent middle assets. The volume might just get the trade done and the Yotes get essentially what they are looking for. So something like, Bourgault, Yamamoto, JP, 2023 1st & 2024 2nd. we get Chychrun and Bjugstad (1/2 cap retained). Yotes have asked about Yamamoto a ton & really like him. So give him to them in a multi player offer to get 2 pieces you need instead of just 1.

Then as the 2nd piece is like Adam said....go out and get a top 6 forward for the right side after loosing Yamamoto in the Yotes trade. we needed to upgrade that side anyways. There are a couple of RWers who aren't on the radar a whole bunch and maybe could be had for a bit less than what the Tarasenko's of the world go for. Silverberg in Anaheim & Jeannot in Nashville. I would target both and see if you can get atleast 1 of those guys and maybe even both if cap $$$ can work.

Silverberg is having a bad year and has a cap of $5.25 M for one more year. That is a big hit for his production. I think he can be a fit and would relish a change to compete in the playoffs again.
I would try this offer......Foegele, Ryan, Neimelainen & 2023 3rd for Silverberg ($1.25 M retained). Cap money is the same for this year, we get a guy who should excel on our team in top 6. Next year at $4 M isn't great, but hopefully his production ramps up a bunch cuz he gets traded to a contender. Ducks get Foegele who's ok bottom 6 guy, Neimelainen to play 3 pair D & a 3rd to help stock the cupboard a bit.

Jeannot is a sleeper IMO and Preds should sell on him before Arb hearing this summer is tough. Last year was an outlier for goals and he would probably be about a 10 goal, 20 assist guy IMO. He is huge, hits a ton & is tough as nails Canadian boy. I really think there is a great 3rd line RWer there that could play up once in a while.
Offer would be something like......Shore (for cap $$$), Savoie or Petrov & 2024 4th rd pick. for Jeannot $.800 K cap $). he is definately a 3rd liner for sure and maybe he could regain a bit of the goal scoring magic from last year?

Imagine having Hyman and Silverberg on the right side in your top 6.....Bjugstad & Jeannot (2 hulking guys) in your bottom 6, & Chychrun in your top 4 D after the trade deadline? Plus, you haven't given up either of Broberg or Holloway for the future.

You give up JP, Yamamoto, Foegele, Shore, Ryan, Neimelainen, Bourgault, Petrov, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd, 2024 2nd, 2024 4th.
If, you could do all of that to get 4 upgrades (3 top 9 forwards & a top 4 Dman) would you do it? Would it be possible from other teams perspective & can you make the cap $$$ work?

[Updated on: Fri, 10 February 2023 09:08]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817832 is a reply to message #817827 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 09:05

I think the key to a Chychrun trade is two fold IMO. First you trade 4 assets instead of 3 to add Bjugstad in the trade. 2 high end assets and 2 decent middle assets. The volume might just get the trade done and the Yotes get essentially what they are looking for. So something like, Bourgault, Yamamoto, JP, 2023 1st & 2024 2nd. we get Chychrun and Bjugstad (1/2 cap retained). Yotes have asked about Yamamoto a ton & really like him. So give him to them in a multi player offer to get 2 pieces you need instead of just 1.

Then as the 2nd piece is like Adam said....go out and get a top 6 forward for the right side after loosing Yamamoto in the Yotes trade. we needed to upgrade that side anyways. There are a couple of RWers who aren't on the radar a whole bunch and maybe could be had for a bit less than what the Tarasenko's of the world go for. Silverberg in Anaheim & Jeannot in Nashville. I would target both and see if you can get atleast 1 of those guys and maybe even both if cap $$$ can work.

Silverberg is having a bad year and has a cap of $5.25 M for one more year. That is a big hit for his production. I think he can be a fit and would relish a change to compete in the playoffs again.
I would try this offer......Foegele, Ryan, Neimelainen & 2023 3rd for Silverberg ($1.25 M retained). Cap money is the same for this year, we get a guy who should excel on our team in top 6. Next year at $4 M isn't great, but hopefully his production ramps up a bunch cuz he gets traded to a contender. Ducks get Foegele who's ok bottom 6 guy, Neimelainen to play 3 pair D & a 3rd to help stock the cupboard a bit.

Jeannot is a sleeper IMO and Preds should sell on him before Arb hearing this summer is tough. Last year was an outlier for goals and he would probably be about a 10 goal, 20 assist guy IMO. He is huge, hits a ton & is tough as nails Canadian boy. I really think there is a great 3rd line RWer there that could play up once in a while.
Offer would be something like......Shore (for cap $$$), Savoie or Petrov & 2024 4th rd pick. for Jeannot $.800 K cap $). he is definately a 3rd liner for sure and maybe he could regain a bit of the goal scoring magic from last year?

Imagine having Hyman and Silverberg on the right side in your top 6.....Bjugstad & Jeannot (2 hulking guys) in your bottom 6, & Chychrun in your top 4 D after the trade deadline? Plus, you haven't given up either of Broberg or Holloway for the future.

You give up JP, Yamamoto, Foegele, Shore, Ryan, Neimelainen, Bourgault, Petrov, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd, 2024 2nd, 2024 4th.
If, you could do all of that to get 4 upgrades (3 top 9 forwards & a top 4 Dman) would you do it? Would it be possible from other teams perspective & can you make the cap $$$ work?

Honestly, I think people like Jeannot shouldn't be the target this year. We want to make a stab at a championship run, so if you can get someone like Chychrun who remains under team control? Pay a lot for that.

Then I'd like to see them target someone who's a big splash forward. Tarasenko would have been a nice add, and the price wasn't that high. Same for Horvat really. Go get a free agent to be, even if there's no way we can afford to re-sign them.

We are running Derek Freakin' Ryan in our top six right now, which should be a big flashing warning light to the GM that we don't need more depth guys - our depth players are playing the best we've seen in ages - we need a winger to play on the top two lines. Take a risk and make this team a real contender. The focus should be on RIGHT NOW.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817833 is a reply to message #817832 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 10:47

Honestly, I think people like Jeannot shouldn't be the target this year. We want to make a stab at a championship run, so if you can get someone like Chychrun who remains under team control? Pay a lot for that.

Then I'd like to see them target someone who's a big splash forward. Tarasenko would have been a nice add, and the price wasn't that high. Same for Horvat really. Go get a free agent to be, even if there's no way we can afford to re-sign them.

We are running Derek Freakin' Ryan in our top six right now, which should be a big flashing warning light to the GM that we don't need more depth guys - our depth players are playing the best we've seen in ages - we need a winger to play on the top two lines. Take a risk and make this team a real contender. The focus should be on RIGHT NOW.

Aaah yes, the give away everything and scream "RIGHT NOW" philosophy. How did that work for the Panthers last year?

The team needs to find a way to compete now and in the future. Giving away future pieces like Tic-Tacs doesn't achieve that.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817834 is a reply to message #817833 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 11:14

Aaah yes, the give away everything and scream "RIGHT NOW" philosophy. How did that work for the Panthers last year?

The team needs to find a way to compete now and in the future. Giving away future pieces like Tic-Tacs doesn't achieve that.

How has the patient depreciation of assets gone for the Oilers over McDavid's first 7 seasons?

The Oilers, the Panthers, and everyone else has windows where Stanley Cup success is possible. Once they close, they're gone. I see no reason for teams to dither away their opportunity to win in hopes of remaining mediocre in the long run.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817835 is a reply to message #817834 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 11:18

How has the patient depreciation of assets gone for the Oilers over McDavid's first 7 seasons?

The Oilers, the Panthers, and everyone else has windows where Stanley Cup success is possible. Once they close, they're gone. I see no reason for teams to dither away their opportunity to win in hopes of remaining mediocre in the long run.

All that is going to do is ensure that McDavid and Leon leave because you traded away any hope that they can win for the next 8 years.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817837 is a reply to message #817835 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 11:22

All that is going to do is ensure that McDavid and Leon leave because you traded away any hope that they can win for the next 8 years.

Do you believe with the current approach the Oilers can reasonably be expected to contend for the cup before Draisaitl's contract is up? I don't.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817838 is a reply to message #817837 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 11:31

Do you believe with the current approach the Oilers can reasonably be expected to contend for the cup before Draisaitl's contract is up? I don't.

They got to the conference final last year with 2 of their best players held together with binder twine and scotch tape. Plus there is no monster team in the west this year. So, yes, they have a decent shot at contending as they are currently built.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817841 is a reply to message #817838 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 11:48

They got to the conference final last year with 2 of their best players held together with binder twine and scotch tape. Plus there is no monster team in the west this year. So, yes, they have a decent shot at contending as they are currently built.

This is where the disagreement is then. I see the Oilers (22 WCF) as being very similar to the Islanders (20 & 21 ECF). Flawed teams that needed good fortune to get to the third round. The only difference, in my opinion, is that the Islanders gave themselves a shot to win. Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll find out very quickly if the Oilers are a good team or a team that's good about bad competition. I wouldn't be on the 0-4 against Colorado being the outlier.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817844 is a reply to message #817841 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 13:31

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 11:48

This is where the disagreement is then. I see the Oilers (22 WCF) as being very similar to the Islanders (20 & 21 ECF). Flawed teams that needed good fortune to get to the third round. The only difference, in my opinion, is that the Islanders gave themselves a shot to win. Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll find out very quickly if the Oilers are a good team or a team that's good about bad competition. I wouldn't be on the 0-4 against Colorado being the outlier.

Yeah, I agree entirely with this. We have a team that has it's flaws, and given the cap commitments that Holland has saddled the team with, there's not a lot of chance of greatly improving the team for next year. The majority of the defence is under contract for another season, with the only exception being the guy who'd be the biggest loss if he weren't back.

Draisaitl's contract runs two more years after this one, but like the Flames with Tkachuk, you pretty much have to decide what you want to do with him the summer before it expires. Will he extend? If not, should you try to maximize the return and trade him then? If you go in to the year with UFA looming, then you have to basically figure he's a rental because assuming you are making the playoffs, you can't afford to trade him and make your team worse.

McDavid's decision is only a year removed from that, so I think you can look at the two as pretty tightly related. If we continue to be around the perimeter and not Stanley Cup favourites, then they aren't staying. They've given the team too much of their career with nothing to show for it but incompetent management.

Management said two years ago "we can't go for it every year" on a year where the Montreal Canadiens made it to the Finals. Holland's self-fulfilling prophecy saw us swept by the lowly Jets, who were barely competitive against a Canadiens team that had been junk that whole season. Dmitri Kulikov didn't do a whole lot for us and the team didn't even bother TRYING to re-sign him.

Last year, their big bet on the team was adding Brett Kulak - who was fine, but was ultimately not much of a factor. Maybe if we'd added one more piece (maybe a real goalie?) we would have at least been competitive against the Avalanche. The Avs, in case you were wondering, added Josh Manson, Nico Sturm, Andrew Cogliano and Artturi Lehkonen (who put the final nail in our coffin) ahead of the playoffs last year.

At some point the GM needs to show confidence in his roster. Our first rounders this year and next aren't likely to ever see the ice with McDavid on his current contract. They're not even likely to be can't miss kids, given that they'll come in the second half of the first round. If we win a Cup and Draisaitl and McDavid re-sign with the Oilers, then we will be able to acquire players to replace the lost draft picks. We'll be near the top of the list for destinations for overage European free agents like when Panarin signed with Chicago. We'll likewise be attractive to college free agents like Bryan Rust and Jake Guentzel with the Penguins. UFAs will potentially take discounts for a chance to win, like when Hossa signed with the Red Wings. The draft is not the only way to acquire good young players, and in fact, it's relatively risky compared to the other routes, because you're getting an 18 year old kid and there's a ton of uncertainty with how they develop and when they'll be ready.

The fact is, the value of a first round pick in the latter half is pretty minor. It's not 100% the kid will even be an NHLer, and most of them won't be stars.

Reid Schaefer has had a decent enough draft plus one season. He's a point a game as a 19-year old in the WHL. He even made Team Canada (although he barely played). But he's not going to be an NHLer next year or the year after that, and it's unclear how good an NHLer he'll be when he makes it. So if we were able to trade him to add a Tarasenko-type to play alongside Draisaitl on the second line? I would do it in a flash and never regret it. Even if that winger is only with us for a couple of months. At bare minimum it signals to McDavid and Draisaitl that we're serious about winning now and we want to give them every tool possible to make that happen.

Seriously, do you think Crosby and Malkin would have stayed in Pittsburgh except that A) they won Cups and B) the team was constantly trying to win another Cup for them?

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817873 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1624492205942484994 ?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E162449 2205942484994%7Ctwgr%5E91536b1222c7f6b13cd33d8ac17124e23cd01 219%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.calgarypuc k.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D191407

Oh god, NO

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817876 is a reply to message #817873 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 13:28

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1624492205942484994 ?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E162449 2205942484994%7Ctwgr%5E91536b1222c7f6b13cd33d8ac17124e23cd01 219%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.calgarypuc k.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D191407

Oh god, NO

Oh. Yes.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817877 is a reply to message #817876 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
addicted2oil  is currently offline addicted2oil

No Cups

What are your sources hearing? 🤔

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817881 is a reply to message #817877 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

addicted2oil wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 14:56

They’re more heavily involved in Chychrun and Bjugstad at the moment.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817882 is a reply to message #817881 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 17:47

Seems much more realistic. Karlsson would be damn entertaining to see as an Oiler though. I get the appeal to go all in like that, but the time to try it was years ago. Rest of that Karlsson deal could be a disaster for this org and the cost is probably near 3 1st round picks and prospects with his performance this year plus how we need SJ to retain near 50%, plus take some big contracts off our hands too

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817884 is a reply to message #817882 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 21:05

Seems much more realistic. Karlsson would be damn entertaining to see as an Oiler though. I get the appeal to go all in like that, but the time to try it was years ago. Rest of that Karlsson deal could be a disaster for this org and the cost is probably near 3 1st round picks and prospects with his performance this year plus how we need SJ to retain near 50%, plus take some big contracts off our hands too

Let’s go balls to the wall. Get Chychrun and Bjugstad for whatever, get the Sharks to retain as much as possible on Karlsson, and send Chicago or some other cash rich team a couple assets to further retain - Chychrun at $4.6 and Karlsson at somewhere between $2.7-$4…you’d have empty cupboards, but that would be pretty ridiculous.

Some combination of:
Nurse - Karlsson
Chychrun - Ceci
Broberg - Bouchard
Kulak

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818661 is a reply to message #817881 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

As Dreger has reported, Chychrun and Bjugstad are the main focus (again).

I’m offsite today for work, at a course located at the CN Tower and going for lunch with my guy the next couple days. Will letcha guys know what he spills.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817879 is a reply to message #817876 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 14:51

Oh god, NO

Oh. Yes.

Four more years after this at $11.5MM per year. Even if it was halved, that's a lot of money for a long time for a guy who's had some injury issues and struggles the last few years and who's numbers this year are buoyed by a hot shooting percentage.

I'm in favour of making a big bet and trying to propel this team to contender status this year, but I fear this move and how it would work out.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817880 is a reply to message #817879 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 15:31

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 14:51

Oh god, NO

Oh. Yes.

Four more years after this at $11.5MM per year. Even if it was halved, that's a lot of money for a long time for a guy who's had some injury issues and struggles the last few years and who's numbers this year are buoyed by a hot shooting percentage.

I'm in favour of making a big bet and trying to propel this team to contender status this year, but I fear this move and how it would work out.

Karlsson and Couture for Draisaitl, Nurse and Bison King ? Sounds like utter BS to me.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817885 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Right handed Klefbom on steroids on this team would be amazing. First rounders outside the top 20 are crap shoots for the most part. Why not go #Allin

We’ll see how this Chychrun stuff turns out. The big media boys are saying it’s not Edmonton, tho Gerrioch says theyve ramped up. My internal guy says they’ve been pretty heavily in on Chychrun before the ASG. Though Karlsson talks started up again after McDavid spoke with Holland earlier this week.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817888 is a reply to message #817885 ]
Sat, 11 February 2023 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 11 February 2023 19:29

Right handed Klefbom on steroids on this team would be amazing. First rounders outside the top 20 are crap shoots for the most part. Why not go #Allin

We’ll see how this Chychrun stuff turns out. The big media boys are saying it’s not Edmonton, tho Gerrioch says theyve ramped up. My internal guy says they’ve been pretty heavily in on Chychrun before the ASG. Though Karlsson talks started up again after McDavid spoke with Holland earlier this week.

That's interesting that an all in for Karlsson could come because of a McDavid chat. Holland need to prove to McD that he is willing to put it all down to try to win ASAP?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817907 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Well shoot.

Oilers pulling out as they ‘won’t match or exceed the package LA is offering’

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817913 is a reply to message #817907 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 11:36

Well shoot.

For chychrun?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817939 is a reply to message #817913 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 11:49

Well shoot.

For chychrun?

Yessir

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817943 is a reply to message #817939 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:10

Well shoot.

For chychrun?

Yessir

Well, it doesn't need to get really aggressive to get Holland to fold. Here's his deadline acquisitions the last 20 years:

2003 - Mathieu Schneider
2004 - Robert Lang
2006 - Cory Cross
2007 - Kyle Calder & Todd Bertuzzi
2008 - Brad Stuart
2010 - Riley Armstrong & Jordan Owens
2012 - Kyle Quincey
2014 - David Legwand
2015 - Erik Cole & Marek Zidlicky
2020 - Andreas Athanasiou, Derek Roy & Mike Green
2021 - Dmitri Kulikov
2022 - Brett Kulak & Derrick Brassard

It should be noted that even the bigger names on that list were all late in their career and significantly diminished when he dealt for them. Schneider was the best of the bunch and that was 20 years ago.

It's hard to really expect that Holland is going to change his nature and actually take a risk, even if he probably should. He's probably going to make sure we know that they were in all these conversations, and then we get another third line forward and third pairing defenceman and shuffle out Puljujarvi to make room for them. We may still manage to give up the first round pick though for something substandard...

No matter what your expectations for the next three weeks, it probably makes sense to lower them further.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817945 is a reply to message #817943 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:26

Well shoot.

For chychrun?

Yessir

Well, it doesn't need to get really aggressive to get Holland to fold. Here's his deadline acquisitions the last 20 years:

2003 - Mathieu Schneider
2004 - Robert Lang
2006 - Cory Cross
2008 - Brad Stuart
2012 - Kyle Quincey
2014 - David Legwand
2021 - Dmitri Kulikov

It should be noted that even the bigger names on that list were all late in their career and significantly diminished when he dealt for them. Schneider was the best of the bunch and that was 20 years ago.

It's hard to really expect that Holland is going to change his nature and actually take a risk, even if he probably should. He's probably going to make sure we know that they were in all these conversations, and then we get another third line forward and third pairing defenceman and shuffle out Puljujarvi to make room for them. We may still manage to give up the first round pick though for something substandard...

No matter what your expectations for the next three weeks, it probably makes sense to lower them further.

Wildcard now would be McDavid informing that he fully expects a huge acquisition. I'm kinda scared

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817948 is a reply to message #817943 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 16:26

Well shoot.

For chychrun?

Yessir

2003 - Mathieu Schneider
2004 - Robert Lang
2006 - Cory Cross
2008 - Brad Stuart
2012 - Kyle Quincey
2014 - David Legwand
2021 - Dmitri Kulikov

Sadly I believe you are 100% right and not much will happen.

However I would be empty the cupboards of all that I could to bolster this lineup. Ideally guys under contract for a couple more years.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817949 is a reply to message #817948 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:48

Well shoot.

For chychrun?

Yessir

2003 - Mathieu Schneider
2004 - Robert Lang
2006 - Cory Cross
2008 - Brad Stuart
2012 - Kyle Quincey
2014 - David Legwand
2021 - Dmitri Kulikov

However I would be empty the cupboards of all that I could to bolster this lineup. Ideally guys under contract for a couple more years.

Can you imagine in 2006 being the top team in the league but being in line to play the Oilers who just added several players to bolster their team while your GM goes and adds Cory Cross? In the last season with Yzerman and Shanahan? With Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk still in their prime? I get the argument is that they were the top team already so maybe don’t need to make a big trade, but they played Lilja and Lebda as a defence pairing in that post-season and Mark Mowers skated in half the games. They undoubtedly could have been improved at the deadline and the GM probably owed it to that team to try…

Anyhow, that’s the guy we have now but even older and less motivated.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817951 is a reply to message #817949 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:58

Mike wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:48

Well shoot.

For chychrun?

Yessir

2003 - Mathieu Schneider
2004 - Robert Lang
2006 - Cory Cross
2008 - Brad Stuart
2012 - Kyle Quincey
2014 - David Legwand
2021 - Dmitri Kulikov

Can you imagine in 2006 being the top team in the league but being in line to play the Oilers who just added several players to bolster their team while your GM goes and adds Cory Cross? In the last season with Yzerman and Shanahan? With Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk still in their prime? I get the argument is that they were the top team already so maybe don’t need to make a big trade, but they played Lilja and Lebda as a defence pairing in that post-season and Mark Mowers skated in half the games. They undoubtedly could have been improved at the deadline and the GM probably owed it to that team to try…

Anyhow, that’s the guy we have now but even older and less motivated.

Katz just gonna be chilling while he watches his $5M GM piss off McDrai by sitting on his hands?

Wonder how Katz's kid will run things

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817953 is a reply to message #817951 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Something interesting I heard.

To San Jose

Warren Foegele
Jesse Puljujärvi
2023 1st Round Pick
2023 2nd Round Pick

To Edmonton

Erik Karlsson ( 50% retained)

It gives us one of the best defensemen in the league and the cap hit is a wash at 5.75. Those picks hopefully wont mean much to us anyway. We need to be all in now.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817955 is a reply to message #817953 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 15:45

To San Jose

Warren Foegele
Jesse Puljujärvi
2023 1st Round Pick
2023 2nd Round Pick

To Edmonton

It gives us one of the best defensemen in the league and the cap hit is a wash at 5.75. Those picks hopefully wont mean much to us anyway. We need to be all in now.

Figure SJ would want more, no? THe only rebuild value is a 1st and 2nd. Thinking they would want another 1st at least. Or Broberg/Bouch.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817956 is a reply to message #817955 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 16:42

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 15:45

To San Jose

Warren Foegele
Jesse Puljujärvi
2023 1st Round Pick
2023 2nd Round Pick

To Edmonton

Figure SJ would want more, no? THe only rebuild value is a 1st and 2nd. Thinking they would want another 1st at least. Or Broberg/Bouch.

Think more along the lines of;

To SJ:
Barrie
Puljujarvi
Petrov
2023 1st
2025 1st

To Arizona:
2024 1st

To Edmonton:
Karlsson at 60% (SJ retains 20% and they pay the 24 1st to have Arizona to take 20%)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (12): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Staios as GM???
Next Topic:Puljujarvi's Extension
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca