This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814126]
Wed, 16 November 2022 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Los Angeles to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814135 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

Yikes. Really all that can be said about that whole performance.

Atleast Skinner looked good.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814137 is a reply to message #814135 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This "team" is massively underwhelming. I'm so, so surprised with the way this season has started.

Unfortunately looking like they are going to have to make some significant changes to motivate this team to play harder and to start games on time. I'm so fed up with this BS.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814140 is a reply to message #814137 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

Hopefully they have more jump than that against the Knights, or Saturday is going to be real embarrassing... Well more embarrassing than tonight, atleast.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814136 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Behold, another turd of an Oilers home game. No apparent adjustment to the way the Kings were playing.

Might have been 29's worst game of the season so far. Lots of laboring, maybe something's up.

McDavid taking 2 minors doesn't help.

Thought Hyman was pretty easily the Oilers best player. Janmark and Kostin showed fairly well too, I thought..

This is a game they're supposed to win, instead they're flirting with .500 again. Just no traction in this season.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814138 is a reply to message #814136 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 16 November 2022 22:55

Behold, another turd of an Oilers home game. No apparent adjustment to the way the Kings were playing.

Might have been 29's worst game of the season so far. Lots of laboring, maybe something's up.

McDavid taking 2 minors doesn't help.

Thought Hyman was pretty easily the Oilers best player. Janmark and Kostin showed fairly well too, I thought..

This is a game they're supposed to win, instead they're flirting with .500 again. Just no traction in this season.

Yeah some nice dangle from Yanmark and both were finishing checks. They got some minutes before the final push and made good with it.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814139 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

We're really going to miss E Kane aren't we?

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814141 is a reply to message #814139 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Wed, 16 November 2022 23:01

We're really going to miss E Kane aren't we?

This team changed when he arrived.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814142 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Nurse gives up a break away down the slot to Kopitar on his 1st shift because he's caught day dreaming.. again.. just one of many Oiler defenseman gems.. that defense is absolutely awful.

And in the other end.. Louie has started to talk about it.. how can other team's defense seem to be able to get pucks on net.. and goals.. and our "skilled" guys like Bouchard refuse to move their feet and instead continuously clang pucks off of shin pads?

McLeod.. looked like he might've turned a corner at the start of the season.. but he's regressing back to his true self.. poor PK work.. refuses to pressure the guy with the puck.. goes after him .. he's right there.. but turns away before the guy has even passed off the puck.. another stride and he could at least stick check him (or better yet, grease him out) .. and you either poke the puck off his stick and clear it, or you hurry him up and force a bad pass.. instead he achieves neither.. he turns away.. I'm sure he isn't coached to do that.

Someone should take out Edler permanently.. the guy has made a career out of blowing out knees.

What an Oiler team, some has-been plug tries to cripple your teammate, the best hockey player to ever live, and only one guy (Nurse) goes after him.. Edler should've been fed elbows all game... instead.. no else one stands up.. and McDavid has to be the guy to do it, like everything else, and takes the 2 min. cross checking. Pussy team.

Janmark and Kostin seemed to have more grit than most of the other Oilers, both were finishing checks.. what a bizarre concept.
Both coming from a different team cultures (Vegas, St. Louis) might have something to do with it.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2022 23:23]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814143 is a reply to message #814142 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Skinner amazing and we still lose. 🤦‍♂️

Maybe we’re missing Kane more than I thought.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814144 is a reply to message #814143 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

What happened inbetween the 2nd and 3rd? We saw that once we got in the faces and started to finish the checks, started to rattle them that we started to play and create chances. What ever was said they came out in the 3rd like timid animals, afraid to get into the Kings and whilst we may have had shots we can't say we looked like scoring.

That being said, the Kings didn't look that good either, they had a couple of chances which Skinner stopped, but apart from say one possibly two all game I'd say none really threatened.

This isn't the type of game to use as an excuse for getting up early in the morning and then telling your boss later you are tired so will be taking it easy in work later.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814145 is a reply to message #814144 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Leia wrote on Wed, 16 November 2022 22:27

What happened inbetween the 2nd and 3rd? We saw that once we got in the faces and started to finish the checks, started to rattle them that we started to play and create chances. What ever was said they came out in the 3rd like timid animals, afraid to get into the Kings and whilst we may have had shots we can't say we looked like scoring.

That being said, the Kings didn't look that good either, they had a couple of chances which Skinner stopped, but apart from say one possibly two all game I'd say none really threatened.

This isn't the type of game to use as an excuse for getting up early in the morning and then telling your boss later you are tired so will be taking it easy in work later.

The way they're playing right now I think you're much better off watching on PVR than rescheduling your sleep time.. wait until they string a couple wins together before you watch live...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814150 is a reply to message #814145 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 16 November 2022 23:34

The way they're playing right now I think you're much better off watching on PVR than rescheduling your sleep time.. wait until they string a couple wins together before you watch live...

What tier of fan would that make me if I did that!!! Can always watch on catch up, but if I know the score I don't bother even wins. So watching is always preferable.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814151 is a reply to message #814150 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Leia wrote on Wed, 16 November 2022 23:57

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 16 November 2022 23:34

What tier of fan would that make me if I did that!!! Can always watch on catch up, but if I know the score I don't bother even wins. So watching is always preferable.

That's what makes you a Tier One Fan Leia ! 👍🏻😊

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814146 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Another stinker. So few players on this team playing well. Skinner did his best.

Edler remains a POS. Always need to have some of these dirtbags in our division it seems.

Kings seem to have got the message loud and clear from the refs that they can do whatever the heck they want against us. We really don't handle that well.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814147 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Here's another Edler knee.. he put Hyman in the hospital.
He needs to be eliminated.. on a stretcher.
https://twitter.com/TreenasOil/status/1593112822296510467?cx t=HHwWhoDUwfrq75ssAAAA

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814154 is a reply to message #814147 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Not even playing like a wild card team. Something needs to change.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814155 is a reply to message #814154 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Didn't get to watch this one, but don't like the result. That knee looked predatory, but because it's the Kings of course there won't be any supplementary discipline.

Numbers say it was another good game by Skinner. Moves him up to 4th in save % on the season with .932, so at least there's that.

And with that, we are now sadly back on the playoff bubble looking up at teams like LA and SEATTLE??? And Vegas running away with the Pacific. Seems their rumours of their demise were premature.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814156 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Frustrating loss of a different breed...annoying neutral zone trap...playoff type officiating letting easy calls go...

Last postseason was an indicator that the Oilers CAN win these types of games...now it's just about getting that focus back under different circumstances. True wakeup call indeed

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814157 is a reply to message #814156 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Agreed with both of you. I didn’t stay up for the game, but LA played a great defensive game and had 29 blocked shots. Until we can get the bottom 6 going a little bit or get Kane back it’s going to be tough for us. We really only have 4 guys that can score for us right now, defense stinks and penalties lately have killed us.

The only saving grace is Skinner has been unreal for us…. What a shame we have a top 5 goalie right now and we are still losing when he plays. Golden knights this Saturday night. See what we can do, but it’s looking like just keeping a wild card spot is a struggle for us right now.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814160 is a reply to message #814157 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kris Russell must have had a huge boner while watching that game. Block city! I thought the calling card of Bouchard was getting his shot through.

I think the Kings were in Leon's head. I've never seen him play like that. Couldn't make a pass, couldn't take a pass. Going off side. He was 21% on draws, when does that happen!

That game was tailor made for the Kings. The Kings are a chippy at times dirty team and the Oilers got into that. When McD is running around trying to drill guys in the back, you know they aren't playing their game. Refs didn't call squat which let's the Kings play how they want. Not an excuse because the Oilers have to find ways to get through that but that was a Kings game all the way.

The NHL needs to make kneeing a major penalty all the time. That's a freaking dangerous play and if all you get is 2 mins, whatever. Plus once you do it, chances are someone will jump you for it. So you just cover up, let the other team take an even up call. Edler almost takes out McD's knee and it ends up being even because Nurse gets an extra 2 for coming to McD's aid. So where is the punishment for Edler being dirty?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2022 08:55]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814163 is a reply to message #814160 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 08:44

Kris Russell must have had a huge boner while watching that game. Block city! I thought the calling card of Bouchard was getting his shot through.

I think the Kings were in Leon's head. I've never seen him play like that. Couldn't make a pass, couldn't take a pass. Going off side. He was 21% on draws, when does that happen!

That game was tailor made for the Kings. The Kings are a chippy at times dirty team and the Oilers got into that. When McD is running around trying to drill guys in the back, you know they aren't playing their game. Refs didn't call squat which let's the Kings play how they want. Not an excuse because the Oilers have to find ways to get through that but that was a Kings game all the way.

The NHL needs to make kneeing a major penalty all the time. That's a freaking dangerous play and if all you get is 2 mins, whatever. Plus once you do it, chances are someone will jump you for it. So you just cover up, let the other team take an even up call. Edler almost takes out McD's knee and it ends up being even because Nurse gets an extra 2 for coming to McD's aid. So where is the punishment for Edler being dirty?

I was angry about that knee, but I have a hard time with making it an automatic major. I will say, that if I'm Edler, I'm probably not thrilled with what was called there either. Nurse dropped the gloves and punched him in the face and Edler got two for the knee and another two for roughing - while the only roughing he did was viciously hit Nurse's hand with his face.

So he got an extra penalty and a punch - that IS punishment.

I wouldn't hate having player safety look at that though. It's a dangerous play that could cause injury.

The Kings strategy was definitely clear. Clog the middle, get in shooting lanes, get in the face of the Oilers best players, hope that the referees swallow their whistles. They did last night - although at times I thought Doughty regretted that more than anyone. He got absolutely pasted twice. After the Kostin hit, he looked hurt.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814165 is a reply to message #814163 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 09:45

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 08:44

I was angry about that knee, but I have a hard time with making it an automatic major. I will say, that if I'm Edler, I'm probably not thrilled with what was called there either. Nurse dropped the gloves and punched him in the face and Edler got two for the knee and another two for roughing - while the only roughing he did was viciously hit Nurse's hand with his face.

So he got an extra penalty and a punch - that IS punishment.

I wouldn't hate having player safety look at that though. It's a dangerous play that could cause injury.

The Kings strategy was definitely clear. Clog the middle, get in shooting lanes, get in the face of the Oilers best players, hope that the referees swallow their whistles. They did last night - although at times I thought Doughty regretted that more than anyone. He got absolutely pasted twice. After the Kostin hit, he looked hurt.

Kneeing a player is an attempt to injure a player. When a player tries to take out a guys knee like that, he's not making a hockey play, he's trying to hurt the guy. A player can be in a heated puck battle with a guy in the corner. You are pushing eachother, arms and sticks all over the place, a players stick completely accidentally comes up and hits a guy, giving him a bloody lip and he will get 4 mins for that no question asked, no debate. There is a drop of blood. 4 mins. Most of the time the player doesn't even miss a shift. But a player can stick out his knee on purpose in an attempt to blow it out and potentially take a guy out for months and all he gets is 2 mins. How does that make any sense?

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814166 is a reply to message #814165 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I did like Kostin and Janmark's game. I thought that line generated chances, got in on the Kings, was physical and were a bit unlucky in my opinion not to score.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814167 is a reply to message #814166 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

He did the same knee on Hyman in Toronto and was suspended. Moron didn’t learn his lesson I guess. Needs to be stiffer punishments

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814168 is a reply to message #814167 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 10:39

He did the same knee on Hyman in Toronto and was suspended. Moron didn’t learn his lesson I guess. Needs to be stiffer punishments

Was clearly intentional too. How he stiffens up his body and keeps a straight face not looking back is an obvious tell. Guy has a long history of sticking out knees and elbows and trying to skate off like nothing happened.

NHL is just never going to protect their good players.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814169 is a reply to message #814168 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Sadly the NHL doesn't seem to value their stars. They pretend they do but in reality they value parity amongst teams. They want games to be close so the crappy teams can stay in and the league can say "look at how competitive our whole league is". So they allow players to take liberties on the stars. They talk about how important it is for players to "battle through". Young players have to earn the respect of the refs by battling through to have the refs call the freaking rules for them. Games are managed by the refs to keep it close.

Last nights game is a classic example. During the broadcast, they talked about how the Kings I believe draw the most PP's in the NHL and the Oilers are in the 20's. How the hell is it possible that the team with the fastest, most skilled player on the planet in maybe the last 20 yrs AND they also have another top 5 player on the planet can draw so few penalties. It doesn't make any sense if the league called the rules properly but they don't want too because the Oilers PP is too good and they don't want to let the game get out of hand because of all the penalties. So they "let them play" and we see games like that. I knew going into the game it would be a very difficult game to watch and for the Oilers to win. I knew the Kings would clog it up, I knew they would clutch, grab and interfere a ton and I knew that the refs wouldn't call anything. Because if they called anything, the game probably would have been lop sided because the Kings would be in the box the whole game. That game happened exactly like I expected. As soon as the game was 10 mins old as I watched Kings water skiing, hooking, holding and can opening Oilers from the drop of the puck and then Kings scored first , I said to myself, this will be a 3-1 Kings win with an empty netter.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2022 11:25]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814171 is a reply to message #814169 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 10:23

Sadly the NHL doesn't seem to value their stars. They pretend they do but in reality they value parity amongst teams. They want games to be close so the crappy teams can stay in and the league can say "look at how competitive our whole league is". So they allow players to take liberties on the stars. They talk about how important it is for players to "battle through". Young players have to earn the respect of the refs by battling through to have the refs call the freaking rules for them. Games are managed by the refs to keep it close.

Last nights game is a classic example. During the broadcast, they talked about how the Kings I believe draw the most PP's in the NHL and the Oilers are in the 20's. How the hell is it possible that the team with the fastest, most skilled player on the planet in maybe the last 20 yrs AND they also have another top 5 player on the planet can draw so few penalties. It doesn't make any sense if the league called the rules properly but they don't want too because the Oilers PP is too good and they don't want to let the game get out of hand because of all the penalties. So they "let them play" and we see games like that. I knew going into the game it would be a very difficult game to watch and for the Oilers to win. I knew the Kings would clog it up, I knew they would clutch, grab and interfere a ton and I knew that the refs wouldn't call anything. Because if they called anything, the game probably would have been lop sided because the Kings would be in the box the whole game. That game happened exactly like I expected. As soon as the game was 10 mins old as I watched Kings water skiing, hooking, holding and can opening Oilers from the drop of the puck and then Kings scored first , I said to myself, this will be a 3-1 Kings win with an empty netter.

To the NHL the "stars" are the Tier One franchises, not the players, and Edmonton is considered by them to be at the bottom of the NHL tier system. But if you're a star player on one the NHL's star franchises.. you're golden. As an example, Louie flashed up a stat for PP time last night.. LA had 50% more PP than the Oilers, which is nonsense the way LA plays, and the amount of infractions uncalled on McD. JMHObservations

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814170 is a reply to message #814168 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 09:50

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 10:39

Was clearly intentional too. How he stiffens up his body and keeps a straight face not looking back is an obvious tell. Guy has a long history of sticking out knees and elbows and trying to skate off like nothing happened.

NHL is just never going to protect their good players.

Being in Vancouver I've seen a lot of Canucks games, and enough to know its intentional, and the way he's always played, its his trademark. Just a dirty player.

He got 5 and a game with Toronto on that one with Hyman, National TV panel talked about it for a whole segment, what's the difference with the one on McDavid.. the Maple Leaf logo?

The biggest loss from Kane being on LTIR is the lack of backbone the team has without him in the line up (not including Nurse).. LD and McD, their two best players are left to fend for themselves, which they do, but shouldn't have to.
A 4th line plug isn't the answer, its the whole team dynamic.. Kane was a needed piece of it.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814173 is a reply to message #814170 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Part of the Oilers problem is I think they have too many players who I deem dimensionless on their team. I guarantee that I will be called a neanderthal in my views and will be bombarded with another rant about how my views of a bottom 6 are wrong and that the sole job of the bottom 6 is to outscore the opponent. I am not advocating for goons to be in the bottom 6, I am advocating for guys who do something on the ice when you aren't scoring.

I look at who played bottom 6 for the Oilers last night and 4 out of the 6 did little to nothing on the ice to impact the game.
McLeod - no shots, not hits, no points, 29% on faceoffs. He isn't hard on pucks, not hard on the forecheck, not tough, not a threat to score or generate a lot of offense. He does kill some penalties. But other than that, doesn't impact the game much. What's his dimension that helps the team win in a tight checking game like that?

Ryan - no shots, credited with 1 hit, no points, 60% on faceoffs. He isn't hard on pucks, not hard on the forecheck, not tough, a bit undersized, not a threat to score or generate a lot of offense. He does kill some penalties. But other than that, doesn't impact the game much. What's his dimension that helps the team win in a tight checking game like that other than win the odd faceoff?

Shore- 1 shot, credited with 2 hit thought I can't recall them, no points, 29% on faceoffs. He isn't hard on pucks, not hard on the forecheck, not tough, a bit undersized, not a threat to score or generate a lot of offense. He doesn't impact the game much. What's his dimension that helps the team win in a tight checking game.

Holloway - 1 shot, 3 hits. No points. Now he's a young player who I think needs more development time so I will give him a pass. But right now, he's not doing a lot to help the team win and at times he makes some really bad giveaways.

Not one of those guys blocked a shot.

I thought Janmark and Kostin were impactful.
Janmark had a couple of hits, blocked 2 shots, was great on the PK, generated some chances. Missed the net a few times but he was dangerous. He was noticeable.
Kostin was impactful. 3 shots, a couple of them dangerous. Rang one off the post that doesn't count. 6 hits including rocking Doughty a key player for the Kings. When he was on the ice, he got noticed and did something. He was buzzing and deserved a goal for his efforts.

The Oilers need more guys like Janmark and Kostin who are going out there and making an impact. Whether it's generating scoring chances, being physical, forechecking hard. Do something.

When he comes back and maybe he was hampered by injury, Yamo needs to do something. For 13 games, you didn't notice him much. He was just there. With Kane down, they need him to be impactful and at 3 mill, he has to do more including produce. If he gets top 6 time, he has to score.

JP we are at 17 games now and he has 1 goal where he happened to get a piece of a Nurse shot as he cruised through the very high slot. I do like the fact that he is being a little more physical but he has 25 shots in 17 games. That's not enough. Like Yamo, at 3 mill you have to score especially when you are getting top 6 time. Breaking up the odd play and making the odd body check isn't worth 3 mill.

Too many passengers on this team once again.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814174 is a reply to message #814173 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 12:18

Part of the Oilers problem is I think they have too many players who I deem dimensionless on their team.

I can tell you were listening to Stauffer today! I think someone called in and coined the term "dimensionless" .. to describe the bottom 6.. which I thought is a perfect term for them.. can't score, not hard on the forecheck, make defensive mistakes, weak in their own zone, and bring zero threat of physicality or intimidation (maybe Foegle.. recently)

Can't have "dimensionless" players on a contending NHL team = Oiler problem (one of..)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814175 is a reply to message #814174 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 15:39

Part of the Oilers problem is I think they have too many players who I deem dimensionless on their team.

I can tell you were listening to Stauffer today! I think someone called in and coined the term "dimensionless" .. to describe the bottom 6.. which I thought is a perfect term for them.. can't score, not hard on the forecheck, make defensive mistakes, weak in their own zone, and bring zero threat of physicality or intimidation (maybe Foegle.. recently)

Can't have "dimensionless" players on a contending NHL team = Oiler problem (one of..)

I listen to Stauffer just because he's the mouth piece of the team and he telegraphs their moves. I fully know Stauffer is a bit older school and I am not looking for goons but he's right. What does Shore, Ryan or McLeod bring to the team at the moment to help them win? You can't just cruise around game after game doing very little with most of the time a give away being the only thing of note. McLeod is the most disappointing to me. He's young so maybe he can improve but he's not a threat to score right now. With his speed he should be but he's not. He rarely shoots. Doesn't take the puck to the goal. He's been awful on faceoffs - was 29%, and he had 2 give aways. So what exactly are you doing out there for almost 12 mins? Do something to impact the game!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814176 is a reply to message #814175 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Holloway is so skilled. The kid has to get it going eventually one would think…..

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814177 is a reply to message #814176 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 15:39

Holloway is so skilled. The kid has to get it going eventually one would think…..

I think Holloway will.. but he's been a shadow of what he was in preseason since he got cranked.. and the short minutes he gets isn't helping.. he should get sent down to get 20 minutes a game, get his wheels moving again, maybe even play with actual playmakers like Bourgault instead of Shore and Ryan.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814178 is a reply to message #814177 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 18:50

I think Holloway will.. but he's been a shadow of what he was in preseason since he got cranked.. and the short minutes he gets isn't helping.. he should get sent down to get 20 minutes a game, get his wheels moving again, maybe even play with actual playmakers like Bourgault instead of Shore and Ryan.

So you're saying we call up Bourgault?

I kid, I kid...

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814183 is a reply to message #814177 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 23:50

Unfortunately that happens to players all the time. I’ve seen some players look amazing at times in pre season and something happens and it’s nerves and going against the best players in regular season, they just shut down. I still think he will come alive at some point, but not sure how long we can wait…. With Kane out we are relying on 3 guys basically to do the scoring. Until we get some depth and defense this team is in big trouble even with spectacular goaltending from Skinner

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814179 is a reply to message #814175 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 14:58

I listen to Stauffer just because he's the mouth piece of the team and he telegraphs their moves. I fully know Stauffer is a bit older school and I am not looking for goons but he's right. What does Shore, Ryan or McLeod bring to the team at the moment to help them win? You can't just cruise around game after game doing very little with most of the time a give away being the only thing of note. McLeod is the most disappointing to me. He's young so maybe he can improve but he's not a threat to score right now. With his speed he should be but he's not. He rarely shoots. Doesn't take the puck to the goal. He's been awful on faceoffs - was 29%, and he had 2 give aways. So what exactly are you doing out there for almost 12 mins? Do something to impact the game!

McLeod was starting to get it.. went to the net, hard on the fore check, but as soon as he started to get some success and getting some praise .. he's regressed back to his comfort zone.
This isn't new. I remember Woody talking about what McLeod was missing in his game back when he was coaching in Bakersfield.. same things as now.. too much perimeter.. didn't go to the hard areas.. 3 years later..
McLeod knows what he needs to do.. he has the ability to do it (skating, size).. but doesn't.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2022 16:56]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814186 is a reply to message #814174 ]
Fri, 18 November 2022 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

You guys are yearning for the Steve Tambellini era, when every guy signed would have a specific role. A fighter, a designated hitter, a penalty killer or two, a face-off guy...that's just a really bad strategy for building teams. We saw just how impactful it was for Tambo, because the face-off guy couldn't make or take a pass, the penalty killers were useless at even strength, the hitter couldn't do anything with the puck and the fighter was a massive liability if he couldn't immediately get a fight.

Honestly, the bottom six looked better last game than we've seen in a while. The third line was probably our best all night long. They got shots, they got chances, they forechecked, they cycled, they showed confidence to make moves.

The fourth line also had several good shifts. Devin Shore probably should have had a goal, Holloway had some looks and looked less uncertain than we've seen in the past - he's starting to look more comfortable.

The story of the Kings game wasn't the bottom six. They need to put up some goals at some point, but they did the right things in that game. If every game from the bottom six looked like that, we're in better shape.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814192 is a reply to message #814186 ]
Fri, 18 November 2022 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 November 2022 10:43

You guys are yearning for the Steve Tambellini era, when every guy signed would have a specific role. A fighter, a designated hitter, a penalty killer or two, a face-off guy...that's just a really bad strategy for building teams. We saw just how impactful it was for Tambo, because the face-off guy couldn't make or take a pass, the penalty killers were useless at even strength, the hitter couldn't do anything with the puck and the fighter was a massive liability if he couldn't immediately get a fight.

Completely and utterly FALSE. I am not looking for goons or a guy that only hits or a guy that all he does is win a faceoff then runs off the ice. I am not looking for 1 dimensional players like a goon who if no one will fight him, he's useless. I am looking for hockey players in the bottom 6 who on the vast majority of nights, I know that when they are on the ice something good will happen. Good bottom 6 guys on most nights go out there and they bring what they bring on a consistent basis. They don't get in hard on the forecheck 1 or 2 shifts a game then cruise around for the rest. Or for 1 shift hit 3 guys, then never get close to anyone again for the whole game. I am looking for a line who as soon as they are on the ice, I know, everyone in the crowd knows and the oppositions knows that line is going to get after them, they are going to cause the other teams problems, they are at times going to generate scoring chances and at times score a goal.

Right now from shift to shift, no one has a clue what most of the bottom 6 guys will do. McLeod has skill, fantastic speed and at 6'2, 207, opposition defenders every time he is on the ice should be looking over their shoulders wondering if he is coming. That doesn't mean McLeod has to try to run every player through the boards every time he is on the ice but at his size and speed he should be hounding the defenders all the time, once in a while lay a hard check but with his speed and skill, he should be a turnover machine. When players rush plays because they someone is on them, they make mistakes. Mistakes lead to turnovers, turnovers lead to possession, possession leads to scoring chances. So with his combination of speed, skill and size, if he was getting after it like he should instead of cruising around staying as far away from the corners as he can, he should be creating all kinds of shots and scoring chances for himself for his linemates but he doesn't.

I singled out McLeod because you have mentioned time and time again how you want speed and skill bottom 6 guys who can outscore the opposition vs the old school bang and crash beat the puck until it's square players that you think I want. I don't want the knuckle draggers, I want more players like McLeod who are big, skilled and fast EXCEPT, I want those guys to not be scared to get after it like McLeod looks to be. In order to get possession and break plays up, you actually have to pressure the opposition and get near them to get the puck back which is something he does not do a lot of.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814195 is a reply to message #814186 ]
Fri, 18 November 2022 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 November 2022 09:43

You guys are yearning for the Steve Tambellini era, when every guy signed would have a specific role. A fighter, a designated hitter, a penalty killer or two, a face-off guy...that's just a really bad strategy for building teams.

Didn't say anything remotely like that.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:Pregame: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca