This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2022-23 OOT ThreadPages (17): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816866 is a reply to message #816865 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 00:03

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 23:57

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 23:24

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 22:26

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 22:17

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 20:46

Provorov refused to wear the pride jersey for the Flyers warmup. Cancel coming his way? Future Oiler?

Its his right. I wouldn't either. Big difference between having tolerance and having to accept it. He has different beliefs. Deal with it. Other people need not participate in someone else self image anyway. This wokeness being pushed down peoples throats is just going to lead to resentment in the long run.

Guess this org and teammates can deal with it as they please. Don't think it should be surprising if he's put his job at some risk, since he's making his millions playing a game that needs fan support to keep cash rolling in. Maybe some org gets him on the cheap :)

Fans dont care about it. The media just harps endlessly about stupid crap nowadays. Bigger things in the world. I dont care what twitter thinks about anything. It isnt news. Just narrative. God I miss the days before all this junk.

The NHL does have a history of jocks running the show, and a history of exclusion and treating people terribly because they are a certain way. I think Provorov might be making his role in this more than it is. Just the idea of hockey being inclusive can be taken on a very basic level that anyone can play no matter what they are/what they believe. NHL has been taking this message seriously because of some gross things exposed in their league and in the hockey world in general. Didn't actually catch what he was against, the idea hockey is for everyone? Or just can't risk god's wrath that he might look like he supports people that aren't straight?

Hard to see how any of that’s changed. Provorov’s problem is the way he thinks and his last name.

Yes, inconvenient time for a super Russian name.

Is he thinking that hard? I'm wondering if wokeness wasn't so much a thing now if just the simple harmless gesture he was asked to make would have been easy to do. But, the counter to wokeisms now is that reactive need to counter it, and of course religion is always a convenient way through things. The NHL has an actual image issue, so not sure the "wokeness" here is that excessive, they actually need to spread a message through their ranks to not have the next kinda/not really dynasty look like crap.

Sure Provy will be OK, citing religion and all. Hopefully we don't end up with a player citing his radical islamic believe to refuses to participate in some event about just women being more involved in hockey. That guy would definitely be in some serious crap :)

Just to note, I wasn't previously aware that one of the most prominent people in Provorov's religion actually clearly talked about pride parades last year

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/in-sermon-russian-church-lea der-kirill-links-ukraine-war-with-gay-pride-parade-2812228

Possibly adds a bit of context

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2023 00:28]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816876 is a reply to message #816866 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 00:17

Provorov refused to wear the pride jersey for the Flyers warmup. Cancel coming his way? Future Oiler?

Its his right. I wouldn't either. Big difference between having tolerance and having to accept it. He has different beliefs. Deal with it. Other people need not participate in someone else self image anyway. This wokeness being pushed down peoples throats is just going to lead to resentment in the long run.

Guess this org and teammates can deal with it as they please. Don't think it should be surprising if he's put his job at some risk, since he's making his millions playing a game that needs fan support to keep cash rolling in. Maybe some org gets him on the cheap :)

Fans dont care about it. The media just harps endlessly about stupid crap nowadays. Bigger things in the world. I dont care what twitter thinks about anything. It isnt news. Just narrative. God I miss the days before all this junk.

The NHL does have a history of jocks running the show, and a history of exclusion and treating people terribly because they are a certain way. I think Provorov might be making his role in this more than it is. Just the idea of hockey being inclusive can be taken on a very basic level that anyone can play no matter what they are/what they believe. NHL has been taking this message seriously because of some gross things exposed in their league and in the hockey world in general. Didn't actually catch what he was against, the idea hockey is for everyone? Or just can't risk god's wrath that he might look like he supports people that aren't straight?

Hard to see how any of that’s changed. Provorov’s problem is the way he thinks and his last name.

Is he thinking that hard? I'm wondering if wokeness wasn't so much a thing now if just the simple harmless gesture he was asked to make would have been easy to do. But, the counter to wokeisms now is that reactive need to counter it, and of course religion is always a convenient way through things. The NHL has an actual image issue, so not sure the "wokeness" here is that excessive, they actually need to spread a message through their ranks to not have the next kinda/not really dynasty look like crap.

Sure Provy will be OK, citing religion and all. Hopefully we don't end up with a player citing his radical islamic believe to refuses to participate in some event about just women being more involved in hockey. That guy would definitely be in some serious crap :)

Just to note, I wasn't previously aware that one of the most prominent people in Provorov's religion actually clearly talked about pride parades last year

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/in-sermon-russian-church-lea der-kirill-links-ukraine-war-with-gay-pride-parade-2812228

Tolerance is a two way street. If people are expected to be tolerant of the pride movement said movement needs to be tolerant of others beliefs which might not align with that. As far as I'm concerned it no one's business what you do in that regard. It's a personal decision. Do what you want. I sure as hell don't need to know about it. Seems like the world would be a better place if people could just mind there own business.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816877 is a reply to message #816876 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 09:17

Tolerance is a two way street. If people are expected to be tolerant of the pride movement said movement needs to be tolerant of others beliefs which might not align with that. As far as I'm concerned it no one's business what you do in that regard. It's a personal decision. Do what you want. I sure as hell don't need to know about it. Seems like the world would be a better place if people could just mind there own business.

Sadly, minding our own business simply isn't possible. All of the important things in our lives inevitably leak out and impact the broader world. Your job, relationship, location, culture, beliefs, and sports affiliation cannot just be siloed off. So we build an orthodoxy and demand people adhere to it. Heretics need not apply. The simple act of saying 'no' has always been very dangerous.

Provorov, for example, couldn't silo off his beliefs and his job from each other. He is better off minding his own business and going with the flow. He's inviting danger into his life with no potential of benefit.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2023 09:33]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816878 is a reply to message #816877 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 09:31

Sadly, minding our own business simply isn't possible. All of the important things in our lives inevitably leak out and impact the broader world. Your job, relationship, location, culture, beliefs, and sports affiliation cannot just be siloed off. So we build an orthodoxy and demand people adhere to it. Heretics need not apply. The simple act of saying 'no' has always been very dangerous.

World has always worked this way. Tolerating intolerance just keeps things how they are. If that was the rule that everyone can just hate groups as they please and you just have to accept it, and we can all just stick to our views and keep society formed in the state around that, you wouldn't have black people and women voting in the USA and many other things over the years.

Forcing people to deal with societies changes when they are held up by things like personal bias carried on from their parents or just because they are sheltered or just an arse and hateful religions is going to continue on. Wokeness has taken things too far for sure, but the basic path humanity has been on, for just giving the basic ability of people that are a certain way, race, sexual preference, etc... to not get crapped on will keep marching on. For sure lots of people are going to be forced to be uncomfortable along the way.

As an idle observer in all this, I do hope someone asks Provorov about his religions leaders statements that the Ukraine invasion is justified in part because of the attempts to hold gay pride parades in Donbas.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2023 09:40]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816918 is a reply to message #816877 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Provorov, for example, couldn't silo off his beliefs and his job from each other. He is better off minding his own business and going with the flow. He's inviting danger into his life with no potential of benefit.

Except having the backbone to stay true your values even if they may be unpopular. You can respect it even if you dont agree with it. Ill take that over being a pawn in a PR campaign any day. Cowards die many deaths but brave people only one. The NHL seems to agree with me. Hes free to support what he wants. As it should be.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816934 is a reply to message #816918 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 08:39

Except having the backbone to stay true your values even if they may be unpopular. You can respect it even if you dont agree with it. Ill take that over being a pawn in a PR campaign any day. Cowards die many deaths but brave people only one. The NHL seems to agree with me. Hes free to support what he wants. As it should be.

I have to heartily agree with you. An article by Scott Stinson this morning really raised my ire:

https://torontosun.com/sports/scott-stinson-nhls-flawed-dive rsity-initiatives/wcm/2e961090-9c9b-4ede-912f-8f0f5bf7d685

This is so wrong headed--Stinson wants to persecute both Provorov and Ovechkin for doing nothing (bringing back memories of the Seinfeld finale). One should be able to criticize their conduct, but if we're ever at a place where we need to punish people for inaction, our society is in serious trouble. Provorov didn't take a pre-game warm-up and didn't want to talk about it; Ovechkin refuses to talk about Russia/Ukraine. These inactions are perfectly within their rights even if you think they should have acted differently. Criticize them all you want, but to suggest the NHL is remiss for not coming down hard on them is asking for a facist type society that punishes wrong think.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816950 is a reply to message #816934 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 11:15

I have to heartily agree with you. An article by Scott Stinson this morning really raised my ire:

https://torontosun.com/sports/scott-stinson-nhls-flawed-dive rsity-initiatives/wcm/2e961090-9c9b-4ede-912f-8f0f5bf7d685

This is so wrong headed--Stinson wants to persecute both Provorov and Ovechkin for doing nothing (bringing back memories of the Seinfeld finale). One should be able to criticize their conduct, but if we're ever at a place where we need to punish people for inaction, our society is in serious trouble. Provorov didn't take a pre-game warm-up and didn't want to talk about it; Ovechkin refuses to talk about Russia/Ukraine. These inactions are perfectly within their rights even if you think they should have acted differently. Criticize them all you want, but to suggest the NHL is remiss for not coming down hard on them is asking for a facist type society that punishes wrong think.

It's all relative depending on who is being offended and the financial implications in the end. If a player was to protest coming out onto the ice for the respect given for playing on indigenous land because they have some belief system that indigenous people should have zero land rights, I think that player would be launched directly into outer space. Or maybe some event is set up to support woman in hockey with a special jersey in warmup, but some player with a hardcore archaic religion refuses because he thinks women should not be allowed to play hockey, he would also likely be in orbit right now :)

In 10 years, maybe LGBTQ gets that kind of automatic reaction, but currently the calculus says it can blow over and the NHL can just let it go quiet. Not saying that is right, but just don't be surprised if things change.

I kinda carried on the conversation here because I was genuinely curious about his religion reason. I definitely don't look for hockey players to be guiding lights on what to do, but they can still be useful tools to show lots of people what kinds of things people out there still believe. Still would love for him to have the chance to elaborate. Figure he should see it as a good opportunity to change the world for the better if he can convince some ppl of his point of view!

[Updated on: Thu, 19 January 2023 17:47]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817050 is a reply to message #816934 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 11:15

I always find laughable how people are all for human rights while championing for them on phones made by child labour.

Edit: Also Lithium mines in Africa are a workers paradise I guess because we're all for fueling that industry.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 January 2023 11:01]

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817059 is a reply to message #816934 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 10:15

I would agree. The right to inaction is important even if it’s unpopular. Lots of people got upset at the NFL for essentially forcing Kaepernick out of the league for his choice not to participate in the American anthem. Even though Provorov is on the wrong side of the social coin here, it would be equally wrong to persecute him for his inaction. Instead this should be looked at as an opportunity to educate.

Russians are just a lot different than North Amercicans. If we get angry that they don’t all share our values, we’re gonna be angry all the time. True inclusivity also means accepting people we may disagree with.

It’s pretty tiring how often the dominating story in hockey these days about social issues.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817062 is a reply to message #817059 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'll never cede the point Kaepernick was booted from the league for his beliefs. He was a spent force. At most he lost a couple of years being a 3rd string clipboard holder, but the truth was he wasn't willing to accept a role like that, so he left. As good as his first three seasons were his last three seasons were equally freaking bad. Like there was no difference in the team between Blaine Gabert being QB and Kaep.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817063 is a reply to message #817059 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 20 January 2023 11:36

benv wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 10:15

I would agree. The right to inaction is important even if it’s unpopular. Lots of people got upset at the NFL for essentially forcing Kaepernick out of the league for his choice not to participate in the American anthem. Even though Provorov is on the wrong side of the social coin here, it would be equally wrong to persecute him for his inaction. Instead this should be looked at as an opportunity to educate.

Russians are just a lot different than North Amercicans. If we get angry that they don’t all share our values, we’re gonna be angry all the time. True inclusivity also means accepting people we may disagree with.

It’s pretty tiring how often the dominating story in hockey these days about social issues.

Kaepernick was trying to promote equality though, and the outrage was massive, including from Torts who said he would sit any player that dared to do the same.

Would we say the same now, just need to accept people think differently, if a player like Provorov was sitting out a pre-game event that was meant to promote equality for black people? And he said he wouldn't do it, because his religion does not believe black people are of equal status among humanity, and any event that tries to promote their equality is contributing to the downfall of society (this is essentially what Provorov's religion says about anything to try to support gay rights just to note). I think heads would explode. But, maybe they wouldn't have some decades ago, not among the majority, probably would be saying similar things about how it's just one of many opinions and it's all good.

Maybe I'm having too much fun with this. Prepare yourselves though for the ever moving goal posts :) Our society of privilege that is able to make big deals out of everything charges forward...yes with the power of stuff made by kids in toxic pits, lol.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816953 is a reply to message #816918 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

I'd take Provorov on the Oilers any day, nothing against the LGBTQ+, equal rights, everyone can play, etc. As a straight person it doesn't affect me in any way, no hate, I'd have tossed on the practice sweater but he chose not to and unleashed a can of worms. I don't think his value came down to Philly of course but given the circumstance of the situation and how people are villainizing him, guaranteed that made his value come way down around the league so getting him for cheap would be quite the gift as I don't see many teams offering much scared of backlash but like I said he's a hell of a player that would boost the backend.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817058 is a reply to message #816953 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 17:58

I'd take Provorov on the Oilers any day, nothing against the LGBTQ+, equal rights, everyone can play, etc. As a straight person it doesn't affect me in any way, no hate, I'd have tossed on the practice sweater but he chose not to and unleashed a can of worms. I don't think his value came down to Philly of course but given the circumstance of the situation and how people are villainizing him, guaranteed that made his value come way down around the league so getting him for cheap would be quite the gift as I don't see many teams offering much scared of backlash but like I said he's a hell of a player that would boost the backend.

I'd take him too, which is maybe why I also kinda hoped he'd be piled on, because we do like going after outcasts :) That's selfish, but whatever, sick of my team wasting McDavid's career, I want winning!

He has been trending down for a while though. Probably does need a change of scenery anyway.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816879 is a reply to message #816876 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 12:17

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 00:17

Kinda reminds me of a line in one of Tom MacDonald's songs: "Call me homophobic 'cos I don't wanna date guys."

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816890 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

It's a real catch-22 for me. Some great things have come from current and former pro athletes using their platform to voice political matters, but it feels like too much these days. Or, at the very least the media likes to grab on to topics and create divisiveness.

I like to believe I am a critical thinker, and I try to see viewpoints through multiple lenses. That being said, not every person who plays sports should be a mouthpiece or a guiding light on a political matter. The media will feast on it, and they grab soundbites from a lot of guys who struggled to gain a high school education. Most athletes are out of touch with the real world. Especially hockey players, who for the large part come from advantaged circumstances and have never had many life experiences outside of a dressing room.

This might be an over-generalization, but I take very little from professional athletes when they are not in the act of playing the sport I am watching. I am not advocating for Provorov, but I could care less what his beliefs are, and I find him no different than any other person who I have no intimate relationship with. Don't sell crazy here, I am already stocked up.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816908 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Woof, CalgaryPuck is an interesting read tonight.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816915 is a reply to message #816908 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Is Erik Karlsson having a season or what? On pace for over 110 points. Guy is 5th in NHL scoring. Crazy.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #816936 is a reply to message #816908 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 22:21

Woof, CalgaryPuck is an interesting read tonight.

Sutter is not getting universal love. I love it. He’s such a Eeyore.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817065 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Paul Maurice fined $25,000 for comments on officiating. Meanwhile, players that try to hurt players on the other team resulting in impacts to betting outcomes, star players missing significant playing time, a lack of faith from teams and fans alike have a maximum fine of $5000.

Not to mention, Maurice was 100% correct. multiple times we've seen McDavid take knees and the offenders face MAYBE a fine. The NHL doesn't have an officiating problem, they have an officiating cancer and it's ruining the game.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817066 is a reply to message #817065 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Man, old Bruce sounded sad today in a scrum. He may not survive as coach in Vancouver to see Saturday.

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1616520533184495618 ?s=20&t=UWw2YeFZkYhelBtLw6AD_Q

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817067 is a reply to message #817066 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 20 January 2023 17:06

Man, old Bruce sounded sad today in a scrum. He may not survive as coach in Vancouver to see Saturday.

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1616520533184495618 ?s=20&t=UWw2YeFZkYhelBtLw6AD_Q

Last season the Canucks were so high on Bruce Boudreau, and now they are publicly looking for his replacement. Are the Canucks worse run than the Oilers? Seems like it when I see stuff like that.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817068 is a reply to message #817067 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 20 January 2023 15:54

Last season the Canucks were so high on Bruce Boudreau, and now they are publicly looking for his replacement. Are the Canucks worse run than the Oilers? Seems like it when I see stuff like that.

I have the Canucks now as a rough equivalent to the Oilers when they had Lowe as POHO and MacTavish as GM. They just have people in charge of a business and hockey team who have no business being in their positions. Again.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817146 is a reply to message #817068 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 20 January 2023 15:54

I have the Canucks now as a rough equivalent to the Oilers when they had Lowe as POHO and MacTavish as GM. They just have people in charge of a business and hockey team who have no business being in their positions. Again.

This looks more like the situation with Chiarelli in Boston and Edmonton giving him way too much authority being fooled by the Cup he won in 2011.

Much like how Bruins fans felt Chiarelli gave up way too many future assets to preserve the contending roster after 2011, Pens fans feel the same exact way about Rutherford after their Cup wins in 2016-2017.....

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817147 is a reply to message #817146 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Fun fact I never realized. The Toronto Maple Leafs have never won three playoff rounds in one year.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817163 is a reply to message #817147 ]
Mon, 23 January 2023 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

At the Flames game game right now. Two thoughts. Columbus defense is a fustercluck. McDavid will have fun Wednesday. Second thought. Calgary's Defense doesn't look much better. .

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817164 is a reply to message #817163 ]
Mon, 23 January 2023 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 23 January 2023 21:15

At the Flames game game right now. Two thoughts. Columbus defense is a fustercluck. McDavid will have fun Wednesday. Second thought. Calgary's Defense doesn't look much better. .

These Lames are not playing Sutter hockey. But how long can any team play Sutter hockey? 2-3 years max?

Lucic caved a face in pretty good though. Earned his 6M tonight. Guy he was fighting just said "please stop sir" to just quietly end the fight.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817069 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Fri, 20 January 2023 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Thread cleanser

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm5BPEGXwAEwT7K?format=png&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817165 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Mon, 23 January 2023 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Flames get a too many men PP with 6 to go in the 3rd in a 3-3 game because Columbus had ... 5 players on the ice. Puck hit the skate of a player that was going to go off, for a player completely on the bench waiting to come on.

Keep making us all proud NHL.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 January 2023 22:03]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817167 is a reply to message #817165 ]
Mon, 23 January 2023 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 23 January 2023 22:01

Flames get a too many men PP with 6 to go in the 3rd in a 3-3 game because Columbus had ... 5 players on the ice. Puck hit the skate of a player that was going to go off, for a player completely on the bench waiting to come on.

Yeah I was a little confused to say the least. In 40 someyears watching hockey I've never seen such bad officiating.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817168 is a reply to message #817167 ]
Tue, 24 January 2023 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 23 January 2023 23:18

Yeah I was a little confused to say the least. In 40 someyears watching hockey I've never seen such bad officiating.

Never mind totally ignoring that the Flames hauled down two Blue Jackets to get he winning 2-1 in OT

Ball and Hrudy of course said nothing even as the Jackets were protesting on the ice.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817169 is a reply to message #817168 ]
Tue, 24 January 2023 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 24 January 2023 03:03

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 23 January 2023 23:18

Never mind totally ignoring that the Flames hauled down two Blue Jackets to get he winning 2-1 in OT

Ball and Hrudy of course said nothing even as the Jackets were protesting on the ice.

This should be perspective for Oiler fans. These guys don't hate us. They just generally suck at their jobs.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817166 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Mon, 23 January 2023 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Columbus are Tambo/MacT/Eakins age bad. Gaudreau-Bedard-Laine would rack up points at least.

Refs were so offended at how bad Columbus is they not only give the Lames a PP late on a 100% incorrect call, but proceed to ignore 3 or 4 obvious infractions by the Lames that were golden opportunities to even up the bad call.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817329 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I feel less bad about last night's CBJ loss after watching the Flames look even worse (which is hard to do) against the Hawks just now.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2023 21:33]

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817331 is a reply to message #817329 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 21:30

I feel less bad about last night's CBJ loss after watching the Flames look even worse (which is hard to do) against the Hawks just now.

They way overpaid for Huberdeau. Those numbers and a 10.5m cap hit next year. Ugly.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817336 is a reply to message #817331 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 00:19

They way overpaid for Huberdeau. Those numbers and a 10.5m cap hit next year. Ugly.

It's probable that the Flames need to get rid of the coach.

I don't think it's a big coincidence that their two stars last year wanted out, and the replacements for them have underperformed.

Sutter is pretty old school and we've seen in the past that he can have a short shelf life. I'm wondering if it's not expired in Calgary. Only question is whether they fire him or make him the GM instead...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817337 is a reply to message #817336 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 11:23

I don't think it's a big coincidence that their two stars last year wanted out, and the replacements for them have underperformed.

Sutter is pretty old school and we've seen in the past that he can have a short shelf life. I'm wondering if it's not expired in Calgary. Only question is whether they fire him or make him the GM instead...

Sutter seems like the perfect guy to use as a half year interim coach for an underperforming team that thinks they have a shot at winning the cup with the St. Louis model.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817338 is a reply to message #817337 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 11:31

Sutter seems like the perfect guy to use as a half year interim coach for an underperforming team that thinks they have a shot at winning the cup with the St. Louis model.

Speaking of coaches, did you see Tocchet looking out of answers when asked about his team's faceplant in his second game behind the bench? That might not be an easy ride there...I'm still not sure why they made a mid-year change. What's the point in a year where they're terrible and probably want to be terrible? It's not like there's any real hope of playoffs for them now.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817341 is a reply to message #817338 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 11:41

Speaking of coaches, did you see Tocchet looking out of answers when asked about his team's faceplant in his second game behind the bench? That might not be an easy ride there...I'm still not sure why they made a mid-year change. What's the point in a year where they're terrible and probably want to be terrible? It's not like there's any real hope of playoffs for them now.

I can't explain hiring Tocchet. I don't see how that style leads to more wins in the modern NHL. He seems custom built to push fans and players away. Like the angry version of Dallas Eakins.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817345 is a reply to message #817341 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 12:08

I can't explain hiring Tocchet. I don't see how that style leads to more wins in the modern NHL. He seems custom built to push fans and players away. Like the angry version of Dallas Eakins.

Vancouver trying to fix this with a coaching change is like using Preparation H to treat a brain tumor.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817348 is a reply to message #817345 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 18:59

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 12:08

Vancouver trying to fix this with a coaching change is like using Preparation H to treat a brain tumor.

Depends where Vancouver keeps their brains.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #817332 is a reply to message #817329 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

I was just thinking the same thing! And the Avs get beat by the Ducks?! And to top it off, Arizona smokes St. Louis?! Weird couple of nights with lots of stinkers to go around.

Pages (17): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Flyers hire more alumni to run the team
Next Topic:Flames arena
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca