This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2022-23 OOT ThreadPages (17): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813533 is a reply to message #813529 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 November 2022 14:23

But it's not a profession that's entirely driven by public perception. I don't have to look very hard to find current NHL players that have don't worse things as older people. Yes, public perception matters, but it matters much less than winning does. I don't mind Boston saying MacTavish can't be a Bruin because of obvious reasons. It makes sense. I do have a problem with the league, an advertiser, or internet poster saying MacTavish can't play anywhere. Those are very different consequences.

To me it seems like you just have an arbitrary need for a public penance more than anything else. His formal justice received wasn't enough, but if he had said sorry hard enough it would be fine. This is the earning it back you need. A sorry matters more to you than the job. It seems silly to me Adam. Maybe we need to bring back public flogging? If he's not sorry enough, we'll make him sorry enough.

For what it's worth, an employers right to hire or not hire is limited by human right legislation which do include (in some places) conviction status. I do understand no one cares about those useless frivolities when they're on the other side of the argument.

We're talking about a league where like half of the team staff have their positions because their dad/brother either played, coached or managed in the league somewhere. Sorry, half probably only applies to the Oilers. But it's a league that is rife with nepotism, sexism and groupthink. People are denied opportunities every day for reasons other than 'merit'.

At the player level, there have been credible accusations by guys like Akim Aliu that they were denied opportunities due to racism. Is it fair that Alex Debrincat didn't get drafted until the 2nd round after back to back 51 goal seasons in the OHL because he's 5'8"?

Seems weird to be all bent out of shape that a kid might have a tougher road to the NHL because he bullied and assaulted another kid.

I agree that, in some cases, winning matters more than public perception. Which is why the Bruins were willing to sign him in the first place. He set goal/points records for a defenceman in the USHL last year. Seems like, in this case, public perception mattered more than winning. As much as you're upset with posters setting arbitrary lines in terms of how much remorse he needs to show, you're setting arbitrary lines in terms of how much weight teams or the league are allowed to place on public perception.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813534 is a reply to message #813533 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 07 November 2022 16:36

Seems weird to be all bent out of shape that a kid might have a tougher road to the NHL because he bullied and assaulted another kid.

I have no problem with a tougher road to the NHL because he assaulted someone. I have a big problem with there being no road. The idea that he needs to be sorry enough to please the court of public opinion is both dangerous and foolish.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 November 2022 16:47]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813535 is a reply to message #813534 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 November 2022 16:46

I have no problem with a tougher road to the NHL because he assaulted someone. I have a big problem with there being no road. The idea that he needs to be sorry enough to please the court of public opinion is both dangerous and foolish.

Well now you're playing in shades of gray here. How tough a road is too tough, given his track record?

Also - don't you think there's some responsibility on the person to do things that might make it appear that he's changed significantly? I mean, other than an off-the-cuff, impersonal apology seconds before signing a contract.

He's not the first that the NHL has blocked from playing, or said they're blocking anyhow. Voynov has never been reinstated, for instance. This isn't without precedence.

The Bruins could have stuck to their guns here, and it sounded like even the NHLPA was willing to go along with them if they had - but they caved to public pressure, so it's a moot point.

I do think that the league is driven by selling attendance and viewership, and if fans believe someone is so odious that they don't want him on the team, that's going to have an impact. Clearly - it does. Even here where people welcomed Kane, they booed Virtanen during the pre-season....

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813536 is a reply to message #813535 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 07 November 2022 20:05

Well now you're playing in shades of gray here. How tough a road is too tough, given his track record?

Also - don't you think there's some responsibility on the person to do things that might make it appear that he's changed significantly? I mean, other than an off-the-cuff, impersonal apology seconds before signing a contract.

He's not the first that the NHL has blocked from playing, or said they're blocking anyhow. Voynov has never been reinstated, for instance. This isn't without precedence.

The Bruins could have stuck to their guns here, and it sounded like even the NHLPA was willing to go along with them if they had - but they caved to public pressure, so it's a moot point.

I do think that the league is driven by selling attendance and viewership, and if fans believe someone is so odious that they don't want him on the team, that's going to have an impact. Clearly - it does. Even here where people welcomed Kane, they booed Virtanen during the pre-season....

Voynov, MacTavish and others were adults when they screwed up. This kid was 14.

How many on here wouldn’t be ashamed to have at least one situation/event from their childhood brought to light? I’m guessing most wouldn’t have anything as bad as this kid, but I’m equally confident every single one of us would be at least a little embarrassed by something from our closet.

What becomes the line in the sand? Both the transgression and the age? If it’s brought to light you stole a chocolate bar from your brother when you were 5, should you lose your security clearance and your job when you’re 60? I’m exaggerating - but really, what’s the line?

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813537 is a reply to message #813535 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 07 November 2022 17:05

Why wouldn’t this be a shades of grey conversation? I think nuance is important.

I do think Miller is both responsible for his actions and responsible for making improvements to himself. Where I disagree with the group is having the sanctimonious public as the arbiters of his success. If I were to sign him, I wouldn’t take anything he says or says he’s done at face value. I’d have a plan for him and imposes demands as a condition of employment. I probably would have gotten team leaders on board with first (but that’s hindsight).

The bruins should have stuck to their guns. Playing the appeasement game never works. Your point about Virt is well taken but you have to realize the fans booed him. They didn’t cancel their tickets. The NHL should be told to pound sand especially by a tier one club like the Bruins. They should have no say or interest in player decisions. Depending on contract details, Miller should file a grievance or sue and file a human rights complaint. The PA should definitely file a policy grievance.

That the NHL has done this before does not make the process of vigilantism acceptable to me (unless I get to do it too). If we think the legal system is doing a crappy job handling 14 year olds who assault people, we should change our legal system. I’d be happy if the position held by classic progressive liberals like yourself included harsher criminal punishments. Simply demanding companies be a force of justice is foolhardy and, most importantly, very dangerous for everyone. I do not want the state offloading its responsibility onto big companies.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813586 is a reply to message #813537 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

The Act allows people to make a human rights complaint to the Alberta Human Rights Commission if they have a reasonable basis to believe that they have experienced harassment or have been discriminated against in the specific areas and under the specific grounds protected under the Act.

Exclusion from a millionaire's club of game playing athletes does not qualify. Good try though.

Vigilantism? If someone suggests burning down his house, then this note might make sense. You keep grasping at those straws.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2022 09:02]

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813587 is a reply to message #813586 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 09:00

The Act allows people to make a human rights complaint to the Alberta Human Rights Commission if they have a reasonable basis to believe that they have experienced harassment or have been discriminated against in the specific areas and under the specific grounds protected under the Act.

Exclusion from a millionaire's club of game playing athletes does not qualify. Good try though.

So your premise is hockey players exist outside of human rights? Ok.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813588 is a reply to message #813587 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

My premise is that playing hockey and making millions of dollars as your job is a privilege. No one is entitled to it. There are few precious spots available, and one of the things required to have that spot is be a public figure representing the league the game and the team that selects you.

To qualify for a human rights violation, you would have to exclude someone from something they have a right to do.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813593 is a reply to message #813588 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

For the record, I think we're closer to each in terms of core beliefs than most would believe. I too believe in harsh punishments being imposed on children for actions that are deemed unacceptable by a loud and forceful majority. Our time will come. Where we disagree is whether or not that time is now. Holding tight to an arbitrary list of privileges that exist outside of universal rights is an untenable position. It's simply to vulnerable to wedge attacks. The true target are those pesky universal rights. The best way to get rid of them is to hand the power of adjudication over to big business that have some sort of emotional sway over the public. This cuts the public out of the decision making process while making the public think they are in control by basing it on easily manipulated opinions.

The best part is this system could never ever be turned around on an unwitting population because we'll always be able to say, "we got that gosh darn Mitch Miller for not being repentant enough".

I'd argue everyone does have the right to the opportunity to chase a privileged position and the one thing required is the ability to do the job, but why bother? The mob has spoken and this 20 year old needs to start looking for a job.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813744 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 09 November 2022 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

A little more context about the Mitchell Miller situation with the victim speaking out:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/isaiah-meyer-crothers-mitchell-miller -racist-bullying-boston-bruins-1.1875586

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813745 is a reply to message #813744 ]
Wed, 09 November 2022 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2022 10:35

A little more context about the Mitchell Miller situation with the victim speaking out:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/isaiah-meyer-crothers-mitchell-miller -racist-bullying-boston-bruins-1.1875586

That's brutal, and probably easy to confirm if true or not with a little asking around. No way that stuff doesn't go unnoticed by an entire school over years.

Can't even pull off a good performance about how sorry he is and actually put effort into some community service aside from claiming he really wants to do something. Think even his agent tried claiming he was working with charity groups, but the groups said there were only little discussions and he never did anything with them.

Appears to be just a perma-douche trying to weasel his way into an NHL payday by putting on a lazy act.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813753 is a reply to message #813745 ]
Wed, 09 November 2022 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2022 10:52

That's brutal, and probably easy to confirm if true or not with a little asking around. No way that stuff doesn't go unnoticed by an entire school over years.

Can't even pull off a good performance about how sorry he is and actually put effort into some community service aside from claiming he really wants to do something. Think even his agent tried claiming he was working with charity groups, but the groups said there were only little discussions and he never did anything with them.

Appears to be just a perma-douche trying to weasel his way into an NHL payday by putting on a lazy act.

This is just it. Like, do people not realize that they're likely to get fact-checked these days? You can't just say you're doing some good charity work and not get the follow-up questions, especially when you have this in your past. It makes you look even worse if your good acts since are merely flirting with possibly giving some time to charity at some point in the future.

And teams should ask then about the character of someone who does this to a disabled kid, and then shows zero shame or remorse for it. That's borderline sociopathic, so is that a guy you want in your dressing room?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813759 is a reply to message #813753 ]
Wed, 09 November 2022 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 November 2022 12:28

This is just it. Like, do people not realize that they're likely to get fact-checked these days? You can't just say you're doing some good charity work and not get the follow-up questions, especially when you have this in your past. It makes you look even worse if your good acts since are merely flirting with possibly giving some time to charity at some point in the future.

And teams should ask then about the character of someone who does this to a disabled kid, and then shows zero shame or remorse for it. That's borderline sociopathic, so is that a guy you want in your dressing room?

Just got done watching a YT video from Robtalkshockey who provided another prospective on the situation:
1) Certain players on the Bruins team most noticeably their captain Patrice Bergeron gave a hell no to Sweeney's decision and even publicly called him out on it.

2) Local media pressure is one thing...but you have other problems when sponsors start complaining about this signing and threaten to pull their dollars from the organization and/or league.....

3) Last time I checked, this isn't the NFL, MLB, and NBA where sponsors arguably need the league as much (if not more in the prior's case) opposed to the NHL where they need extra revenue & those financial relationships more....

4) The bullying has apparently gone on for an extended period of time and even caused Mitchell Miller to be expelled from his middle school at age 14

5) Even worse, Miller was one of the ring leader catalysts that caused the bullying of the victim to go on for years even after his dismissal from the school...till this day, the victim still gets threats from Miller's circle of friends from IG & other social media channels. This wasn't a one & done type of occurrence.

6) This situation could've been exponentially worse if Miller and the other ring leader didn't plead guilty; otherwise, live surveillance video of the bullying could've been released not to just the courts but possibly in public too.

7) Miller's co-defendant apparently gave an in person apology to the victim along with his family too....something Miller himself has yet to do personally besides a spur of the moment DM via Instagram in proximity to signing with the Bruins organization.

8) They say education starts at home...to say Miller a product of poor parenting would be an understatement...

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #813760 is a reply to message #813759 ]
Wed, 09 November 2022 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94 is currently online oilfan94

No Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2022 14:56

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 November 2022 12:28

Just got done watching a YT video from Robtalkshockey who provided another prospective on the situation:
1) Certain players on the Bruins team most noticeably their captain Patrice Bergeron gave a hell no to Sweeney's decision and even publicly called him out on it.

2) Local media pressure is one thing...but you have other problems when sponsors start complaining about this signing and threaten to pull their dollars from the organization and/or league.....

3) Last time I checked, this isn't the NFL, MLB, and NBA where sponsors arguably need the league as much (if not more in the prior's case) opposed to the NHL where they need extra revenue & those financial relationships more....

4) The bullying has apparently gone on for an extended period of time and even caused Mitchell Miller to be expelled from his middle school at age 14

5) Even worse, Miller was one of the ring leader catalysts that caused the bullying of the victim to go on for years even after his dismissal from the school...till this day, the victim still gets threats from Miller's circle of friends from IG & other social media channels. This wasn't a one & done type of occurrence.

6) This situation could've been exponentially worse if Miller and the other ring leader didn't plead guilty; otherwise, live surveillance video of the bullying could've been released not to just the courts but possibly in public too.

7) Miller's co-defendant apparently gave an in person apology to the victim along with his family too....something Miller himself has yet to do personally besides a spur of the moment DM via Instagram in proximity to signing with the Bruins organization.

8) They say education starts at home...to say Miller a product of poor parenting would be an understatement...

Just to add my 2 cents here.

I do not think that the NHL should do anything to stop him from being signed by a team. The league is a business, and each team has it's own owner and management that make decision for a wide number of reasons. If the NHL starts taking moral stances on who can and can't play, even after the court system has already played out (as it has in this situation) then I think that sets a bad precedent. To be fair, I do not think that Voynov should be banned from the NHL (though in his case I don't think he should be allowed to work in the US, but that's a different issue).

That said, I think that every team should be smart enough not to sign a player like this. He obviously has major problems well beyond a normal high school jerk. No one player can be good enough to out weigh the not only the PR damage, but the damage it will most likely do in your locker room. I'm honestly surprised that of all teams the Bruins would do this, knowing that if any group was going to be unforgiving to this kid it would be New Englanders.

Miller probably doesn't have much else going for him in his life other than hockey. I doubt he is going to be able to get some job somewhere or get into school and get a good education, not with his name in national headlines, so of course he is going to keep pushing to try and find a place in hockey. He has no one to blame but himself (parents can take some fault, but at the end of the day a man makes his own decisions) for the situation he is in. If he is lucky he may get to play overseas for a few years, but I doubt any pro team in North America would touch him at this point. Any team should be allowed to sign him though, because maybe someday he is contrite. Maybe someday he is in his 30s and has legitimately changed and wants a chance to play in the NHL. GMs can decide then if it's worth it.

What he did was awful, and yes it does appear that he has not been very remorseful. It is not his fault that the Bruins didn't do their due diligence, and the Bruins should have to deal with that. So if Miller gets some money out of this from the Bruins, it is the Bruins fault.

Most of all I hope that the kid he bullied for so long is able to move forward in life. Would be best for him if Miller were not in the headlines and he could just live his life. Miller should apologize still, a real apology, after a few more years, with no strings attached to what how it could impact his career.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814013 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Sat, 12 November 2022 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Dach and Debrincat with another 2 points each today. Gotta think the 'Hawks could still use these guys who are still both under 25.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814014 is a reply to message #814013 ]
Sat, 12 November 2022 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 12 November 2022 20:07

Dach and Debrincat with another 2 points each today. Gotta think the 'Hawks could still use these guys who are still both under 25.

This is what makes 0 sense to me. The Hawks are rebuilding? Fine. So why drop literal children who are going to be productive for the next 10 years?

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814017 is a reply to message #814014 ]
Sun, 13 November 2022 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 13 November 2022 00:41

This is what makes 0 sense to me. The Hawks are rebuilding? Fine. So why drop literal children who are going to be productive for the next 10 years?

Yeah - that’s a couple of pretty solid building blocks, guys you know are not busts, especially DeBrincat.

Hope they draft a bust.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814038 is a reply to message #814017 ]
Mon, 14 November 2022 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 13 November 2022 09:35

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 13 November 2022 00:41

Yeah - that’s a couple of pretty solid building blocks, guys you know are not busts, especially DeBrincat.

Hope they draft a bust.

Good building blocks for Sens yes...but now that Dorian can spend real money without the crazy ex-wife of the late Eugene Melnyk controlling his money...surprised they weren't able to upgrade those D pairings this past offseason. I know they lost out on Klingberg by lowballing the daylights out of him but still.....

^Even Jason York on the Kyper & Bourne podcast was going off on how thin that D was.

Speaking of bad D pairings....what the hey with the CBJ paying Gudbranson 4 mil annually to play right side on the third pair. Now with Werenski out, looks like the team will be in serious contention....for the draft lottery.

I'm not saying the CBJ were world beaters last season...but they finished 1 game below 500 with many of their young forwards getting that extra ice time to develop. Though Gaudreau and Laine seem to be clicking with great numbers, it's resulting in their other up & coming young forwards taking less minutes as they've struggled to adapt to those new roles. It's not easy...especially for young forwards continuing their development with less ice time....even if those minutes are relatively "more sheltered" too.

An ideal situation for Johnny Hockey overall though....how do those playoff struggles persist...if your team isn't good enough to make them?

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2022 14:04]

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814015 is a reply to message #814013 ]
Sat, 12 November 2022 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It's a sad attempt at the Buffalo model of 2014/15, trying to just dump anyone that even dares to play well that doesn't have a NMC to try to tank for McDavid. Hope they pay for it for many years to come.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814035 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Mon, 14 November 2022 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Why did the Sens game start at 5:30 local time? I happens here, but those centre of the universe Ontarians would never agree to that.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814037 is a reply to message #814035 ]
Mon, 14 November 2022 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Started early for the Alfie HOF ceremony.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814571 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Happened to be on NHL.com this morning and couldn't help but ask the questions:

"Who the heck (wanted to use a different word) is Jason Robertson?"

I admittedly follow the league only sporadically outside of the Oilers, but I've honestly never heard of this guy before; yet he's got 18 goals and 35 points in 22 games--2 goals ahead of McDavid and 1 point behind him.

When did this happen?

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814573 is a reply to message #814571 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

benv wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 11:47

Happened to be on NHL.com this morning and couldn't help but ask the questions:

"Who the heck (wanted to use a different word) is Jason Robertson?"

I admittedly follow the league only sporadically outside of the Oilers, but I've honestly never heard of this guy before; yet he's got 18 goals and 35 points in 22 games--2 goals ahead of McDavid and 1 point behind him.

When did this happen?

He was a big breakout player for the Stars last season and held out on a new contract until right before the season started (I think he missed camp). Stars got him on what is going to be a steal of a deal if he keeps playing this way for the next 4 seasons ($7.75M). He is still an RFA at the end of that as well, but in the last year he is making $9.3M so he will likely be a $10M+ player in a few seasons (again, if he keeps up his current play). Dallas has managed to do get some good players outside of round 1 in the draft that have a big impact on the team.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814574 is a reply to message #814573 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

rookie season 51 games and 45 points. Last season 74 games, 41 goals and 38 assists.
no sophomore slump for this kid.

he's a winger, but in limited facoffs taken has 71.43%... that's interesting.

In one season in the AHL he produced pretty good. IN the OHL he was solid. not world beating, but good. Seems like the NHL style fits his game.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814575 is a reply to message #814574 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I read the reason Kuzmenko didn't sign with the Oilers is they wouldn't guarantee him PP time and top 6 minutes. They wanted him to come in and if he won a top 6 job over JP and Yamo on merit, then great. He being a player out of the KHL and not playing a single second in the NHL, I would not have guaranteed him top 6 or PP time. 11 goals, 21 pts in 21 games with the Canucks for 925K. With all the injuries, he would look good for the Oilers right now. One of the few good things that has happened for the Canucks this year.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814682 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Well...you hate to see division games like this with both teams at least getting a point...especially when they're ahead of the Oilers in the standings.

Definitely worth checking out these highlights with the Kraken prevailing in OT 9-8:

Eberle seems to have an extra step that he didn't possess with the NYI picking up 4 assists in this tilt

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814683 is a reply to message #814682 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 30 November 2022 10:43

Well...you hate to see division games like this with both teams at least getting a point...especially when they're ahead of the Oilers in the standings.

Definitely worth checking out these highlights with the Kraken prevailing in OT 9-8:

Eberle seems to have an extra step that he didn't possess with the NYI picking up 4 assists in this tilt

The 2 expansion teams leading our division is pretty funny. And McLellan after that in 3rd.

Larsson is playing amazing for Seattle too. 24 mins a night of quality minutes. Bouch/Larsson would have been an amazing pairing. Oh well though, he needed the change, was not meant to be.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814688 is a reply to message #814683 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Two righties together?

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814691 is a reply to message #814688 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 30 November 2022 12:17

Two righties together?

Ah, doh, guess would be Nurse/Lars, or Kulak/Lars. Probably not as big an impact vs our current results.

Still miss Larsson. Bit of a bummer seeing him play some of his best hockey ever, maybe 2nd to his 16/17 season with Klef, for Seattle.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814695 is a reply to message #814683 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 30 November 2022 11:45

The 2 expansion teams leading our division is pretty funny. And McLellan after that in 3rd.

Schedule is still wildly unbalanced. Oilers have only played 4 division games and the schedule they have played has been rough. Flames much the same. I expect things will change as everything evens out.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814698 is a reply to message #814695 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 30 November 2022 13:14

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 30 November 2022 11:45

Schedule is still wildly unbalanced. Oilers have only played 4 division games and the schedule they have played has been rough. Flames much the same. I expect things will change as everything evens out.

I think the schedule thing is a poor excuse. The Oilers have played one more home game than road games so thats not an issue. They are right in the middle of the league in terms of games played so their schedule is not abnormally condensed. Yes we haven't played the San Joses and Anaheims yet, but to win the cup we are going to need to beat the best teams.

They simply just haven't won as many games as they should have.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814694 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Cal Petersen now on waivers from the Kings....wasn't he supposed to take Quick's starting job forever at one point last season?

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814696 is a reply to message #814694 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 30 November 2022 14:06

Cal Petersen now on waivers from the Kings....wasn't he supposed to take Quick's starting job forever at one point last season?

Clearly was the plan. 3x5M contract to prove it.

Not working out well. I say this as a proud fan of the team that signed Jack Campbell.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814702 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

VisuallyBetter @Isuckatpicking
Mrs Doubtfire 2 looks terrible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fi15Yr7agAAD7Gv?format=jpg&name=small

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2022 15:02]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814834 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Thu, 01 December 2022 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jason Robertson can chill the f out any time now. League is going to give him the Hart in a landslide at this rate, no matter what McDavid does.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #814955 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Mon, 05 December 2022 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

That's nuts that flames fans still give an enthusiastic "looch looch looch" every time lucic carries the puck for an eventual giveaway.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #815024 is a reply to message #814955 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 05 December 2022 23:16

That's nuts that flames fans still give an enthusiastic "looch looch looch" every time lucic carries the puck for an eventual giveaway.

I think they hated James Neal so much that Lucic still makes them happy, even though they pretty much lost Sean Monahan because of it.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #815073 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So, guess Thompson and Robertson are duking it out for the Hart? Stories are too compelling to care about McDavid IMO no matter what McBoring does.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #815108 is a reply to message #815073 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 20:01

So, guess Thompson and Robertson are duking it out for the Hart? Stories are too compelling to care about McDavid IMO no matter what McBoring does.

You are probably right. McD will probably score way more than 50 goals. Probably win the scoring race by 15+, he's already got an 8 pt lead now but his story won't be cool enough. It's McD, he's supposed to do that.

I looked at the standings today and it reminded me how much I HATE the loser point. You take the game to OT but lose it so here is a consolation point. It will never happen but I would love it if a team had more OT losses than wins but made the playoffs thanks to the loser point just to show the NHL how stupid it is. Go something like 32-14-36 which is 100 points and make the playoffs while losing 50 games.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #815111 is a reply to message #815108 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

international rules!
3 points for the reg win
2 and 1 for an OT/shootout win

guarantee we see less regulation ties.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #815112 is a reply to message #815111 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I agree!! This isn't kids hockey where everyone gets a ribbon, it's pro hockey and the point is to win. So if you win, you get rewarded, if you lose, you get nothing. The fact that the winning team in OT gets only 1 more point than the loser is a joke.

Pages (17): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Flyers hire more alumni to run the team
Next Topic:Flames arena
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca