This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2022 Training camp threadPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812311 is a reply to message #812310 ]
Tue, 04 October 2022 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Tue, 04 October 2022 19:11

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 04 October 2022 17:36

g2k wrote on Tue, 04 October 2022 15:35

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 03 October 2022 22:20

Holloway is already top 6.. just need to decide who moves down to 3rd line.. Yamo or JP..

How Oilers.

Perlini says hi.

You're saying Yamo and JP are better?
Speed, Shot, IQ, hands, physicality, he's better than both, in all regards.

I don't think you can determine any of those things based off of one (or even multiple) pre-season game against AHL competition. Maybe shot, but even then, it's one thing to get your shot off against a defenceman that can't skate at an NHL level and a completely different thing to get it off against one that can.

Will he be better than Yamo and JP? It's entirely possible, I think it's a reach to say definitively that he is today.

I was thinking the same thing. The shiny new toy syndrome is a tough one to shake but Oiler fans are addicted to the idea.
As usual we have someone with a small sample size getting thrust into a key role by some people. I think he has looked good and seems to be developing well. That doesn't mean he should be top 6 on a cup contending team. If the Oilers believe they are that they should have cheap rookies contributing but not being written in pen in the top 6.
In all reality he should be either playing top line minutes in the AHL or playing protected minutes on the Oilers.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812312 is a reply to message #812310 ]
Tue, 04 October 2022 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 04 October 2022 18:11

Holloway is already top 6.. just need to decide who moves down to 3rd line.. Yamo or JP..

How Oilers.

Perlini says hi.

I don't think you can determine any of those things based off of one (or even multiple) pre-season game against AHL competition. Maybe shot, but even then, it's one thing to get your shot off against a defenceman that can't skate at an NHL level and a completely different thing to get it off against one that can.

Will he be better than Yamo and JP? It's entirely possible, I think it's a reach to say definitively that he is today.

He's faster than both
Better shot than both
More physical than both
Better IQ than JP
Better hands than JP
Plays PK well.. JP can't
Face off wizard .. better than both

JP and Yamo have played the same "AHL" pre-season games.. haven't really stood out at all.
Guess we'll see, but I'm pretty sure Woody will be putting Holloway in the top 6.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812315 is a reply to message #812312 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 04 October 2022 22:22

How Oilers.

Perlini says hi.

He's faster than both
Better shot than both
More physical than both
Better IQ than JP
Better hands than JP
Plays PK well.. JP can't

JP and Yamo have played the same "AHL" pre-season games.. haven't really stood out at all.
Guess we'll see, but I'm pretty sure Woody will be putting Holloway in the top 6.

What are we basing this on though?

He has 8-14-22 in 33 AHL games. 4/5 of his pre-season points were against a terrible team with a swiss cheese goalie that let Foegele score twice.

I just hope the org isn't piling the pressure/expectations on the kid like we're seeing from oilers media and some fans.

Holloway will get his shot for sure, but barely any conclusions can be made yet comparing a rookie giving 110% to try to get to the big show vs guys with multiple NHL seasons under their belt just trying to get their bodies in gear for the season.

However, I bet Chia would have traded a top 6 winger by now for peanuts and have Holloway penciled in to be in the top 6 all year, to be fair :)

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2022 00:10]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812316 is a reply to message #812315 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 October 2022 00:03

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 04 October 2022 22:22

How Oilers.

Perlini says hi.

He's faster than both
Better shot than both
More physical than both
Better IQ than JP
Better hands than JP
Plays PK well.. JP can't

What are we basing this on though?

He has 8-14-22 in 33 AHL games. 4/5 of his pre-season points were against a terrible team with a swiss cheese goalie that let Foegele score twice.

I just hope the org isn't piling the pressure/expectations on the kid like we're seeing from oilers media and some fans.

Holloway will get his shot for sure, but barely any conclusions can be made yet comparing a rookie giving 110% to try to get to the big show vs guys with multiple NHL seasons under their belt just trying to get their bodies in gear for the season.

However, I bet Chia would have traded a top 6 winger by now for peanuts and have Holloway penciled in to be in the top 6 all year, to be fair :)

As someone mentioned before, Oilers fans are so easily seduced by the new shiny toy.

They also so easily forget that a team is 23 men deep, and so even if he CAN carry his small sample pre-season success into the regular season and beyond, having a young left shot forward emerge doesn't make two decent producing, defensively responsible right shot forwards redundant.

It is funny to me that this happens every year. We see a Dan Cleary or a Peter White dominate in pre-season against AHL competition or pros going half-speed and we think, "Man! This is found money! This kid is going to be AWESOME!" and then when they play real meaningful NHL games against real competition they don't shine so bright and we all feel so disappointed that our hopes and dreams aren't immediately realized.

No one should draw any conclusions from pre-season. Virtually no roster decisions should ever be made on the back of what happens during pre-season. There's little strategy being used in pre-season games. No line-matching. No set plays. Limited systems play. Veterans don't care and are just stretching their legs. There's a plethora of non-NHL players in lineups, especially when teams are on the road. Some players are rusty after a summer spent not playing games.

These are truly meaningless games, so scoring a hat trick, while nice, doesn't mean much of anything and shouldn't be looked at as a sign that any player has "arrived". Puljujarvi and Yamamoto NOT scoring at will likewise means nothing. Neither player is playing for a job right now. They just need to not get hurt and to start getting back up to speed while maybe building a little confidence and chemistry along the way.

It's funny - I think if we looked back at every training camp thread for the last 15 years, you'd probably see these same things again and again and again...and that's in here where most of the posters are a little more sophisticated than the average fan!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812317 is a reply to message #812316 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daftmonk  is currently offline Daftmonk

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 October 2022 09:56

It's funny - I think if we looked back at every training camp thread for the last 15 years, you'd probably see these same things again and again and again...and that's in here where most of the posters are a little more sophisticated than the average fan!

You forgot Edmonton media as well....

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." — Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812323 is a reply to message #812317 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Virtanen looks to be in again tonight. I can't recall seeing another player get more reps in pre-season, especially one in which he's accomplished very little, other than getting booed by the home crowd.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812324 is a reply to message #812323 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

other notable recent memory pre-season hat-tricks include Ty Rattie and Magnus Paajarvi Svensson

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812325 is a reply to message #812324 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Wed, 05 October 2022 13:54

other notable recent memory pre-season hat-tricks include Ty Rattie and Magnus Paajarvi Svensson

Another impressive thing to note about Ty Rattie’s preseason: out of all his seven goals, only one of them is a garbage goal. There’s nothing wrong with garbage goals, but for only one of his seven goals to be from a scramble in front of the net is impressive. This was his first goal of the preseason and I’m sure he’s not complaining about it.

7 goals!!

In the end, this is all a win-win. Trying to temper expectations with Holloway is realistic and prepares us for what would normally happen with this team. And if Holloway does end up being amazing and grabbing and holding a top 6 spot, we can enjoy that too :)

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2022 14:24]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812273 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Mon, 03 October 2022 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGPiWKoxsJQNhweUenm55F5rxGz5x52j8d5Z-K_9rdkvxtxaYGZz5HYyOo4S9lyHsOfQ8&usqp=CAUhttps://media.tenor.com/No6mvewFjp0AAAAM/kool-moe-dee-dancing.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812307 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Tue, 04 October 2022 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Fishin' for Sturgeon on the Fraser River today.. monsters!

Sturgeon King?

https://twitter.com/evanderkane/status/1577430398459850752?c xt=HHwWgMDR4d-llOQrAAAA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeQok_uXwAI-KCY?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeQok_tXEAAXy49?format=jpg&name=smallhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeQok_qWAAENoTN?format=jpg&name=small

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2022 17:44]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Preseason game 7: Oilers at Canucks (8pm MDT) [message #812331 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Tonight's game will see the Oilers gift the people of Abbostsford a treat by dressing McDavid, experimenting by giving him Draisaitl's linemates from Monday.

Holloway - McDavid - Hyman
Shore - Nugent-Hopkins - Puljujarvi
Janmark - McLeod - Ryan
Hamblin - Malone - Virtanen

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Murray
Niemelainen - Demers

Skinner
Pickard

I don't why they listed eight defenseman--presumably one pair will be scratched.

Looks like the Canucks are going with a near NHL roster, so this should be a good test for Holloway.

Re: Preseason game 7: Oilers at Canucks (8pm MDT) [message #812332 is a reply to message #812331 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 05 October 2022 15:04

Tonight's game will see the Oilers gift the people of Abbostsford a treat by dressing McDavid, experimenting by giving him Draisaitl's linemates from Monday.

Holloway - McDavid - Hyman
Shore - Nugent-Hopkins - Puljujarvi
Janmark - McLeod - Ryan
Hamblin - Malone - Virtanen

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Murray
Niemelainen - Demers

Skinner
Pickard

I don't why they listed eight defenseman--presumably one pair will be scratched.

Looks like the Canucks are going with a near NHL roster, so this should be a good test for Holloway.

Oooh I'm going to this game since I live in Abby and pretty excited to see what that top line does against better opposition.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812335 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Wed, 05 October 2022 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

7 powerplays to 2. Refs in regular season form refing the Canucks.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812336 is a reply to message #812335 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 October 2022 21:59

7 powerplays to 2. Refs in regular season form refing the Canucks.

It was 10 PP's for Canucks to 2 for Oilers..
That's a whole period shorthanded.

And the Game refs?
One was from Vancouver.. and the other from Calgary.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812337 is a reply to message #812336 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

That stream was sure a throwback to when streaming was first a thing. Video was terrible. Audio was even worse. I get that it's not a regular NHL venue, but surely with Sportsnet's combined resources they could have come up with something better than what we got.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812355 is a reply to message #812337 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

or someone could have streamed it from their iphone...

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812374 is a reply to message #812337 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 06 October 2022 07:16

That stream was sure a throwback to when streaming was first a thing. Video was terrible. Audio was even worse. I get that it's not a regular NHL venue, but surely with Sportsnet's combined resources they could have come up with something better than what we got.

Even happier I had center ice seats at this game! I live in Abby so it was a no brainer. The arena here is small so there isn't a bad seat and I didn't have to deal with Vancouver traffic. The Nuck fans near me weren't happy when McJesus lifted me out of my seat with that sick undressing / top shelf goal.
rofl

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812350 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean is currently online Adrean

No Cups

From Twitter, today's waiver wire news

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
Todays list includes Keith Kinkaid (BOS), Calvin Pickard and Slater Koekkoek (EDM) & Lias Andersson (LA)

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812386 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Janmark AND Samy both on waivers..

crap .. hope Samy is off the radar enough that he clears..

Janmark will probably clear.. if anyone's been paying attention he hasn't really stood out in pre-season..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812388 is a reply to message #812386 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 12:07

Janmark AND Samy both on waivers..

crap .. hope Samy is off the radar enough that he clears..

Janmark will probably clear.. if anyone's been paying attention he hasn't really stood out in pre-season..

Hope we don't lose Samy for nothing and shame that Janmark didn't show more.

Preseason game 8: Kraken at Oilers (7pm MDT) [message #812398 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Give or take a 4th liner, it looks like we will see pretty close to the opening line-up for tonight's final pre-season game (assuming Yamamoto isn't ready to go on Wednesday):

Kane – McDavid – Puljuarvi
Holloway – Draisaitl – Hyman
McLeod – RNH – Ryan
Hamblin – Malone – Shore

Nurse – Ceci
Kulak – Bouchard
Murray – Barrie

Campbell

Re: Preseason game 8: Kraken at Oilers (7pm MDT) [message #812399 is a reply to message #812398 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 14:44

Give or take a 4th liner, it looks like we will see pretty close to the opening line-up for tonight's final pre-season game (assuming Yamamoto isn't ready to go on Wednesday):

Kane – McDavid – Puljuarvi
McLeod – RNH – Ryan
Hamblin – Malone – Shore

Nurse – Ceci
Kulak – Bouchard
Murray – Barrie

Campbell

Might eventually be this.. I think the LD, Holloway, Hyman (HDH) line stays for a while to see if it can generate some goals..

Kane – McDavid – (Puljuarvi/Yamo)
McLeod – RNH – (Puljujarvi/Yamo)
Hamblin – Ryan – Shore

Malone is 13th

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812400 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Looked all over for waiver transactions from yesterday.. worried Pickard might get claimed by somebody desperate for a goalie.. he and everyone else cleared.

just need Samy to clear.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812402 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corky  is currently offline Corky

No Cups

And the fun starts for real on the 12th.

Every Night Is Hockey Night

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812403 is a reply to message #812402 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Corky wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 19:46

And the fun starts for real on the 12th.

Spector caps off Pre-season by complaining that Pulju took until his last game to score.

After his first goal Kane scored his first of the pre-season as well.

On to the real stuff!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812405 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Bouchard looks a lot more confident and decisive with the puck.. IMO moves it a lot quicker than last year..

Murray is a steady D keeps it simple, breaks up the cycle, good passes out of the zone..

JP looked better, better decisions, good passes, periodic physicality.. good position for the tap in goal.

Campbell looks really solid, great on rebound control, snuffs the puck out on shots, handles the puck well, steady, calm.

Holloway played great again, all over the ice, his speed and puck IQ is high level.
He was the 1st forward back on a lot of Seattle's break outs..
I think he eventually plays center, he's a natural. Looks great with LD and Hyman.

Nurse.. man he was handling the puck like a hand grenade.. a lot of bad passes/decisions.. guy has to realize he needs to play defense first.. he doesn't have the puck handling ability he thinks he does.. that self deception gets him in trouble a lot of times.

Rehearsal is over, Next game is for real!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812406 is a reply to message #812405 ]
Sat, 08 October 2022 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This summary of the analytics for this games just adds up so well with the eye test

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FehHQYTXwAQnyG6?format=png&name=medium

Jesse trying his best to be the defensive conscience of his line and the freewheeling of Kane/McDavid.

Nurse brain farts, needs to shake that rust off ASAP.

Bouch/Kulak best D pair. Nuge creating no offense 5v5 as a C as the cost of being good defensively. Barrie 100% offense, zero defense. Bottom of the lineup... Can just say glad we have 3 good lines. Maybe the 7D thing should be a common theme.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812407 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Sat, 08 October 2022 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

BOTH Samorukov AND Janmark clear waivers.. smash

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812413 is a reply to message #812407 ]
Sun, 09 October 2022 11:02 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 08 October 2022 12:35

BOTH Samorukov AND Janmark clear waivers.. smash

The good thing about waivers this time of year is that people are trying to whittle down their own rosters, and they aren't plagued by injuries yet typically. Oilers a little bit lucky here.

Interesting to see a dark horse in the running for the final forward roster spot though in Hamblin.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Samorukov traded to St. Louis
Next Topic:Virtanen and Demers Sign PTOs
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca