This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Puljujarvi's ExtensionPages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817792 is a reply to message #817787 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 February 2023 18:03

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec

For those waiting to see if Jesse Puljujarvi's name is on the waiver wire tmw, it's sounding less likely Yamamoto will play Sunday, so no roster movement required.
Not a 'for sure' — it's an injury.
But when Yamo is ready, we're pretty certain that Puljujarvi gets waived.

A waiver pickup would be quite a way for Jesse's Oilers career to end.

Unbelievable that the Oilers would signal this ahead of the trade deadline. Why? How does that possibly benefit the team? And isn’t Devin Shore still on this roster?!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817809 is a reply to message #817792 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 February 2023 18:40

For those waiting to see if Jesse Puljujarvi's name is on the waiver wire tmw, it's sounding less likely Yamamoto will play Sunday, so no roster movement required.

Unbelievable that the Oilers would signal this ahead of the trade deadline. Why? How does that possibly benefit the team? And isn’t Devin Shore still on this roster?!

Wouldn't it be because Shore's money isn't enough to get Yamamoto back on the roster?

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817823 is a reply to message #817809 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 09 February 2023 19:13

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 February 2023 18:40

Wouldn't it be because Shore's money isn't enough to get Yamamoto back on the roster?

Another team probably would have a more creative solution. Also - if that is the case then won’t we still be screwed if no one claims Puljujarvi? He’d still count against the cap.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817836 is a reply to message #817823 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Waiving Shore and JP would give them over 2 mill in space and I think that might be enough to bring Yamo on. Not 100% sure on that but I have to assume it would be.

Waiving JP might also in my opinion raise his trade value. Anyone who trades for him would have to put him on the roster or waive him and risk losing him themselves. If he gets waived, you can always trade for him after and send him down right away.

I am of the opinion that there isn't much of a market for JP. It's not a secret he's been available for a long time and probably won't cost a team much at all yet there are still no takers. There are teams out there at the bottom of the league with plenty of cap space who are playing non NHLers daily yet they won't throw the Oilers some low end pick of mediocre prospect. I am done bashing the guy. Sadly it hasn't worked. The team made mistakes early on in his development. I feel like the player and his agent later on have made mistakes that hurt him. It's not working here. Every team has players in their organization who for whatever reason, it hasn't worked. So the fact that a team at this point hasn't thrown the Oilers some low end pick or mediocre prospect, just to try the guy for a couple of months when you don't have to keep the guy if you don't want too, is telling to me.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817842 is a reply to message #817836 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I doubt many teams consider trading for a player at the deadline, with the concern of 'what happens when I waive this guy?'
If that's a real concern, they just don't trade for that player.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817843 is a reply to message #817842 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 13:49

I doubt many teams consider trading for a player at the deadline, with the concern of 'what happens when I waive this guy?'

What if a number of teams owe the Oilers a favor?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817845 is a reply to message #817842 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 13:49

I think it's safe to assume the market for JP is basically nothing or maybe more correctly, if the Oilers attach an asset + JP, the other team will give you basically nothing just to take is contract back.

So it might be better just to waive him. If you get lucky, maybe someone picks him up. But he likely clears, you send him down and get some cap relief. Then when the playoffs come along, you call him up as a black ace or play him if injuries occur in the playoffs when the cap doesn't matter anymore.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818142 is a reply to message #808823 ]
Fri, 17 February 2023 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Holland shifted players around and doesn't need to put Jesse on waivers for Yams to return

https://i.ibb.co/qYwKhRc/q-Zox-NFc-d.webp

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818153 is a reply to message #818142 ]
Fri, 17 February 2023 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Derek Van Diest ranting and raving on twitter about the fact the Oilers haven't waived Puljujarvi yet. We truly have the dumbest media around. These guys just want to write "told-you-so" stories so badly that they're cheering for the team to give away players.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818156 is a reply to message #818153 ]
Fri, 17 February 2023 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 17 February 2023 15:34

Derek Van Diest ranting and raving on twitter about the fact the Oilers haven't waived Puljujarvi yet. We truly have the dumbest media around. These guys just want to write "told-you-so" stories so badly that they're cheering for the team to give away players.

Much of the Edm media feel like the villains from Major League. Attached to the team, but cheering and doing everything they can for the players to lose. Circling like sharks waiting to feed on the player that isn’t towing the line.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818220 is a reply to message #818156 ]
Sat, 18 February 2023 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 17 February 2023 17:05

Adam wrote on Fri, 17 February 2023 15:34

Much of the Edm media feel like the villains from Major League. Attached to the team, but cheering and doing everything they can for the players to lose. Circling like sharks waiting to feed on the player that isn’t towing the line.

Not so fast kids.. Apparently Oilers have approached JP about signing for less money than his QO next year.. per Chris Johnston.
https://oilersnation.com/news/edmonton-oilers-have-reportedl y-broached-the-possibility-of-extending-jesse-puljujarvi-bey ond-this-season

Quote:

.. Another point on Edmonton also is that we’ve all been wondering what’s going to happen. Is there going to be a big waiver move this week? They ultimately send a couple players to the American Hockey League to manage in the short-term their cap situation.

I think a lot of people, including myself, just assumed Jesse Puljujarvi was the odd man out in Edmonton. It definitely looked and sounded that way that he would definitely be traded, 100%. They are a team that is going to have to create some room by moving a player out.

But what’s interesting to me is I’ve heard in recent days the Oilers have at least broached the possibility of extending Puljujarvi instead of just trading him. Possibly trying to get him signed to a cheaper extension beyond this year.
He’s on an expiring deal, he’s a restricted free agent. I don’t think those talks went anywhere, I don’t know where those talks stand at this moment, but a guy that has always seemed on his last day in the city, they’ve at least broached the possibility of seeing if they can extend him.

That’s pretty interesting too as we all look to what move the Oilers make to create cap space. Whatever they do, if it’s a big name or small name, it’s basically money-in, money-out.

Whether it’s someone like Warren Foegele, or maybe it’s still Puljujarvi who is the odd-man out, maybe it’s somebody else they’re trading. They have to remove money from that roster.

They’re at least seeing if Puljujarvi is willing to stick around, and I don’t know if he is at this point. I think it’s interesting they’ve had that discussion...

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2023 18:51]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818221 is a reply to message #818220 ]
Sat, 18 February 2023 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 18 February 2023 18:49

Not so fast kids.. Apparently Oilers have approached JP about signing for less money than his QO next year.. per Chris Johnston.
https://oilersnation.com/news/edmonton-oilers-have-reportedl y-broached-the-possibility-of-extending-jesse-puljujarvi-bey ond-this-season

I'd think it would have to be under $1.5 million per year to make sense. Puljujarvi had a huge opportunity to step up and prove himself with Kane injured, and failed completely. I understand his underlying numbers are good, but at some point he needs to either get paid like a 4th liner or make a difference in the top-6.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818224 is a reply to message #818221 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 18 February 2023 18:02

I'd think it would have to be under $1.5 million per year to make sense. Puljujarvi had a huge opportunity to step up and prove himself with Kane injured, and failed completely. I understand his underlying numbers are good, but at some point he needs to either get paid like a 4th liner or make a difference in the top-6.

If he's willing to take 4th line money, I'd be content to keep him. This will ultimately come down to whatever JP thinks of his extremely limited options. I don't see another team giving him a shot for more money. And the Oilers aren't going to offer anywhere near what he's making now, maybe even sub one mil?

Maybe going to Europe to get his game going is the wisest thing for him. Maybe make a return to the NHL in a few years time with some more points on his resume.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818314 is a reply to message #818224 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 00:40

If he's willing to take 4th line money, I'd be content to keep him. This will ultimately come down to whatever JP thinks of his extremely limited options. I don't see another team giving him a shot for more money. And the Oilers aren't going to offer anywhere near what he's making now, maybe even sub one mil?

Maybe going to Europe to get his game going is the wisest thing for him. Maybe make a return to the NHL in a few years time with some more points on his resume.

I noticed he's actually changed his game up a bit recently, finishes checks, stopping on pucks more than he did, the big swooping fly-bys are less.. he's become more effective.. still has hands of tungsten-carbide though.. which limits his top-6 ability.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818332 is a reply to message #818314 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 16:24

nullterm wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 00:40

I noticed he's actually changed his game up a bit recently, finishes checks, stopping on pucks more than he did, the big swooping fly-bys are less.. he's become more effective.. still has hands of tungsten-carbide though.. which limits his top-6 ability.

I really noticed him doing good stuff on one shift in particular today. He was definitely using his body to help move the play in the right direction. And one or two good shots. But nothing that really put the Avs in danger of getting scored on. Definitely positive progress in his overall game though.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818228 is a reply to message #818221 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 18 February 2023 19:02

He also could benefit from changing agents.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818409 is a reply to message #818221 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 18 February 2023 19:02

I completely agree. If he is willing to sign for 4th liner money, I would consider him. So a 1 yr, 1 mill or less deal. I am sure his advanced stats are better but if Milano who had 14 goals, 34 pts in 66 games, couldn't get anything but a PTO to start this season, I don't see him getting any more from another team. I don't think there is a chance in hell he would sign that with the Oilers.

My advice for him would be:
#1 get yourself a skills coach and work on your puck skills. Make that a focus of your offseason. I get he is a fitness freak but he needs to focus on his hockey over his fitness. If you are using a skills coach already, get a different guy. Last game is a prime example. Oilers 3-1, they pass it over to JP, he couldn't take a pass when he was wide up. His puck skills need a ton of work.

#2 Get a new agent. I don't think from day 1 he's got good advice. The Oilers made some mistakes with early on but his agent from the start hasn't been good.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818466 is a reply to message #818409 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Honestly curious - how has JP's agent let him down? I wasn't aware of anything on that front ...

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #818472 is a reply to message #818466 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 13:57 Go to previous message

3 Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 12:07

Honestly curious - how has JP's agent let him down? I wasn't aware of anything on that front ...

#1. I think his agent let him down early on when he couldn't speak English. JP was highly touted well before his draft year. His goal was to play in the NHL, a league entirely in an English speaking part of the world. His agent should have advised/set up English classes well before he was drafted. Lots of Finnish players can speak English. Laine, his friend, junior teammate spoke English. Him not speaking the language at all hampered him. Not being able to speak English continued on all through his ELC.

If I had planned to move to a new country for work and I knew this was coming years in advance, I would take classes to try and pick up some of the language as much as I could. These high end talents get on teams radars years in advance so he and his agent would have known playing in North America was a real possibility years in advance so not being able to speak a word of English so you can't understand what your coaches are teammates are trying to tell you, is a real fail on he and the agents part.

#2. Skill development. He struggles still with puck skills. His finishing hasn't improved, his shot hasn't improved as he doesn't have a great release, it's too slow. HIs accuracy isn't very good. He doesn't one time the puck very well and he doesn't handle the puck very well. To be a top 6 scoring winger like he says he wants to be, you have to be able to do all those things. All those things are what should be worked on in the offseason. He wasn't very good at all of those things his first year and 6 yrs later, it's still a problem. So in my opinion, he's clearly not working with a skills coach. If he is, then he needs to fire the guy. His agent should be telling JP to work with a skills coach to improve his puck skills. IF JP can't call one on his own, then do it for him. If McD works with a skills coach, no reason JP shouldn't be.

#3.Recognition of what kind of player you are and acceptance of other roles. JP felt he should be a top 6. He felt that coming out of his draft year, he's felt that all along. This was confirmed over the last few seasons where he and his agent vented frustration to the team. It was definitely confirmed by his interview this year where he admitted he thinks he's a scorer, he only wants to be a scorer and thinks maybe he needs to play in a different league to be a scorer. A good agent should be having a heart to heart with his client and give him the realities. He's not a big time scorer now in the NHL and probably never will be. That's OK. Being a good 3rd liner is very important to a team and you can have a very long, very successful career doing that. Lots of NHL bottom 6 guys were big time scorers when they were in junior. Not being a big time scorer in the NHL doesn't make you a failure but he sees himself as a failure because he doesn't score enough. That is where the agent needs to have a reality check with his client. Make him realize you can still be a good player and not be a big time scorer. If JP is down in the dumps and playing poorly because he's not a big time scorer because that's the only role he will accept, then his agent isn't doing his job.

Those are the big mistakes his agent has done in my opinion.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 February 2023 15:37]

Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6]  
Previous Topic:2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread
Next Topic:Ryan Reaves
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca