This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804509]
Sun, 24 April 2022 13:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Columbus to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804512 is a reply to message #804509 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Never ever forget NHL officiating.
Just wait till this crap happens again in the playoffs.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804516 is a reply to message #804512 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Sun, 24 April 2022 16:38

Yeah, we’re never winning a Cup. Not unless we absolutely blow the doors off our opponents, or our opponents are other tier 2 teams like Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa maybe.

I know I sound like a petulant baby saying, but I really believe we will need to badly outplay our opponents to come out on top.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804517 is a reply to message #804516 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 24 April 2022 15:02

Yeah, we’re never winning a Cup. Not unless we absolutely blow the doors off our opponents, or our opponents are other tier 2 teams like Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa maybe.

I know I sound like a petulant baby saying, but I really believe we will need to badly outplay our opponents to come out on top.

But what do we tell Todd??

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804518 is a reply to message #804516 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 24 April 2022 14:02

Sadly, after watching the last two games I'm getting the same feeling.. those imaginary calls vs. the Oilers.. and the blindman no-calls vs. Oiler opposition the last couple of games looks like the NHL refs getting in some good practice for their "Score Management".. the playoff edition...

Reffing the last two games looking way familiar to the Kesler interference non-call.. NHL will find a way to keep the Stanley Cup Party private for the their favourite first tier clientele.

Its McDavid vs. NHL.. and he'll win. icon_nod

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2022 17:48]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804519 is a reply to message #804512 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Sun, 24 April 2022 13:38

Even a lousy team like CBJ gets to add a couple Team NHL refs to its gameday lineup, apparently. Brutal.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804520 is a reply to message #804519 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 24 April 2022 16:47

Even a lousy team like CBJ gets to add a couple Team NHL refs to its gameday lineup, apparently. Brutal.

Oilers vs. NHL

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804522 is a reply to message #804520 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 24 April 2022 17:48

Oilers vs. NHL

Strong disagree. Every team and their fans complain about the refs because, well. NHL reffing is terrible. But terrible isn’t biased. People assume malice when incompetence is a far more likely reason. It might be hard to believe but there are some corners of the hockey internet where the fans believe the Oilers are wild beneficiaries are terrible NHL reffing because Gary is pushing McHockey.

The Oilers won’t win a cup this year because of defense and goaltending. It will be easy to think the refs are the cause, but I encourage everyone to view the Oilers and the NHL with a broader perspective.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804526 is a reply to message #804522 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 24 April 2022 23:42

Oilers vs. NHL

Strong disagree. Every team and their fans complain about the refs because, well. NHL reffing is terrible. But terrible isn’t biased. People assume malice when incompetence is a far more likely reason. It might be hard to believe but there are some corners of the hockey internet where the fans believe the Oilers are wild beneficiaries are terrible NHL reffing because Gary is pushing McHockey.

The Oilers won’t win a cup this year because of defense and goaltending. It will be easy to think the refs are the cause, but I encourage everyone to view the Oilers and the NHL with a broader perspective.

You shut your dirty whore mouth! This is no time to be objective and level-headed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804529 is a reply to message #804526 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 02:14

Oilers vs. NHL

You shut your dirty whore mouth! This is no time to be objective and level-headed.

No such thing with Pi ;) Another fantasy world where NHL corp doesn't discriminate against the Oilers - there are too many other examples to believe the reffing of team NHL is unbiased (B.A. Gustavson, compensation for Adam Graves, 4vs4 rule changes in the 80's, 2nd (!) round draft pick for signing a coach who had been fired, 3rd round draft pick for signing a GM that had been fired, constant imbalances in suspensions vs non-events when other teams do far worse (for McDavid alone) never mind other examples of that... and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting... :-) )

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804530 is a reply to message #804529 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 07:49

Oilers vs. NHL

No such thing with Pi ;) Another fantasy world where NHL corp doesn't discriminate against the Oilers - there are too many other examples to believe the reffing of team NHL is unbiased (B.A. Gustavson, compensation for Adam Graves, 4vs4 rule changes in the 80's, 2nd (!) round draft pick for signing a coach who had been fired, 3rd round draft pick for signing a GM that had been fired, constant imbalances in suspensions vs non-events when other teams do far worse (for McDavid alone) never mind other examples of that... and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting... :-) )

Winning 4 lotteries.

We used to make fun of other fans for whining about refs. Let's not turn into the Dys.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804533 is a reply to message #804530 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 08:09

Oilers vs. NHL

Winning 4 lotteries.

We used to make fun of other fans for whining about refs. Let's not turn into the Dys.

I find the 4 lottery wins highly unlikely to be anything to do with NHL wanting that to happen. The NHL did not want that to happen at all (especially the McDavid win). The Dys are divers and everyone knows it, no chance we become them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804534 is a reply to message #804533 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 08:52

Oilers vs. NHL

Winning 4 lotteries.

I find the 4 lottery wins highly unlikely to be anything to do with NHL wanting that to happen. The NHL did not want that to happen at all (especially the McDavid win). The Dys are divers and everyone knows it, no chance we become them.

It's hard for me to believe the NHL has it out for the Oilers when I get to watch McDavid. Maybe the league didn't want the Oilers to have that, the fact that it didn't happen tells me the the NHL is really bad at keeping teams down or they're willing to be fair in at least some circumstances. But let's say I'm wrong and the NHL does have a conspiratorial plan to use the refs to keep the Oilers down, the goaltending and defense is still a bigger hindrance.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804547 is a reply to message #804534 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 09:01

Oilers vs. NHL

Winning 4 lotteries.

It's hard for me to believe the NHL has it out for the Oilers when I get to watch McDavid. Maybe the league didn't want the Oilers to have that, the fact that it didn't happen tells me the the NHL is really bad at keeping teams down or they're willing to be fair in at least some circumstances. But let's say I'm wrong and the NHL does have a conspiratorial plan to use the refs to keep the Oilers down, the goaltending and defense is still a bigger hindrance.

Yeah, I don't really think the league is capable of a full-fledged conspiracy in favour of certain teams. I think they'd screw it up if they tried. Certainly, as you say, the biggest temptation for the league with McDavid coming in was to send him to a team that would generate the greatest ratings. They definitely weren't incented to send him to Edmonton to give us our 4th 1st overall in 6 years.

It may be that certain refs respond poorly to the Oilers, or, more likely, that they're just bad at their jobs. I don't think the league helps because the league is inconsistent about what it wants to see called. The fact that the league will flat out say they're going to crack down on cross-checking this year is alone a sign of dysfunction. There's a clear rule, so why do you ever need to crack down??? Refs should just always be calling cross-checks.

I do think that the Oilers should wait until there's a bad game by the refs in the playoffs, and then take the fine and light them up.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804549 is a reply to message #804547 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 13:40

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 09:01

Oilers vs. NHL

Winning 4 lotteries.

Yeah, I don't really think the league is capable of a full-fledged conspiracy in favour of certain teams. I think they'd screw it up if they tried. Certainly, as you say, the biggest temptation for the league with McDavid coming in was to send him to a team that would generate the greatest ratings. They definitely weren't incented to send him to Edmonton to give us our 4th 1st overall in 6 years.

It may be that certain refs respond poorly to the Oilers, or, more likely, that they're just bad at their jobs. I don't think the league helps because the league is inconsistent about what it wants to see called. The fact that the league will flat out say they're going to crack down on cross-checking this year is alone a sign of dysfunction. There's a clear rule, so why do you ever need to crack down??? Refs should just always be calling cross-checks.

I do think that the Oilers should wait until there's a bad game by the refs in the playoffs, and then take the fine and light them up.

Sometimes I wonder if the Oilers senior management has construed a devious plan to self sabotage the Oilers, but I am in agreeance, the refs are just not very good and every fan base believes they are getting screwed over.

I would go as far back as saying it is a grass roots problem where kids get dumped on by parents and coaches at the peewee level. The reffing shortage in minor hockey in Saskatchewan has been struggling for at least 25 years. When I quit as an adult, the most common thing I heard from young guys leaving was the abuse they were facing and the lack of support from SAHA.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804565 is a reply to message #804529 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 06:49

Agree.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804567 is a reply to message #804565 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

We are likely going to get bounced in 5 or 6 games anyway. Barring a few week period we have the worst goaltending of any playoff team. We have no chance in hell.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804569 is a reply to message #804567 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 15:48

We are likely going to get bounced in 5 or 6 games anyway. Barring a few week period we have the worst goaltending of any playoff team. We have no chance in hell.

My head agrees, but my heart still wants to go for a ride.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804574 is a reply to message #804569 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 16:00

Someone reminded me Doughty is out due to wrist surgery. The hope monkey just got a banana knowing they won’t have their best Dman clinging to McDavid like a glove.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804575 is a reply to message #804574 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 22:27

Someone reminded me Doughty is out due to wrist surgery. The hope monkey just got a banana knowing they won’t have their best Dman clinging to McDavid like a glove.

Kings are also the third best defensive team in the west if you go by GP/GA. Only a couple percentage points off Calgary and Colorado.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804577 is a reply to message #804575 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 21:35

Kings are also the third best defensive team in the west if you go by GP/GA. Only a couple percentage points off Calgary and Colorado.

Fair enough. But not having Doughty constantly in McDavid's face and two more lines that can go (Drai and Nuge) might be what we need for this to go in our favour. Ahhh, hope monkey how do you do.

I think this all depends on how hot Quick is, and secondarily if Smith can stay hot leading into the post season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804583 is a reply to message #804577 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 26 April 2022 00:14

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 21:35

Fair enough. But not having Doughty constantly in McDavid's face and two more lines that can go (Drai and Nuge) might be what we need for this to go in our favour. Ahhh, hope monkey how do you do.

I think this all depends on how hot Quick is, and secondarily if Smith can stay hot leading into the post season.

Pretty sure I mentioned it in a previous post but, I think the top 2 C of Kopitar and Danault will present problems for Connor and Leon. Todd is a matchup coach and will do what he can to get those two out against 97+29. If Foegele and Nuge can provide offense it’ll be the oilers series.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804570 is a reply to message #804567 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

The more they play the more I genuinely believe this is a good team. Goaltending is still a concern for sure. But this is the best even strength Oilers we have seen since…2006 probably? The last two years it was pretty clear we won many games due to historically good powerplays, and scoring from two guys. Now when the whistles disappear in the playoffs, I like our chances a lot better from all lines.

Another thing is that this is a high scoring year for the NHL and its not just coming from the powerplays. It’s why a lot of players are having career highs and breaking 100 points. A higher scoring game means that the outcome of the game is less dependent on luck and more dependent on skill. This is why in basketball, where scoring happens every 20 seconds, you can build Bulls, Lakers, and Warriors dynasties by simply having the best players. A higher scoring league bodes well for the Oilers having Connor and Leon.

I like our chances at a run this year much better than the last two.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804572 is a reply to message #804570 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 17:46

The more they play the more I genuinely believe this is a good team. Goaltending is still a concern for sure. But this is the best even strength Oilers we have seen since…2006 probably? The last two years it was pretty clear we won many games due to historically good powerplays, and scoring from two guys. Now when the whistles disappear in the playoffs, I like our chances a lot better from all lines.

Another thing is that this is a high scoring year for the NHL and its not just coming from the powerplays. It’s why a lot of players are having career highs and breaking 100 points. A higher scoring game means that the outcome of the game is less dependent on luck and more dependent on skill. This is why in basketball, where scoring happens every 20 seconds, you can build Bulls, Lakers, and Warriors dynasties by simply having the best players. A higher scoring league bodes well for the Oilers having Connor and Leon.

Delusion is great but even in 06 our worst GM ever understood you can't win without a solid number 1. Hence Roloson. We're screwed. Smitty craps the bed in game one. Then we're stuck with Koskinen in game two. He gets lit up then what?

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2022 20:10]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804573 is a reply to message #804572 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 20:09

Delusion is great but even in 06 our worst GM ever understood you can't win without a solid number 1. Hence Roloson. We're screwed. Smitty craps the bed in game one. Then we're stuck with Koskinen in game two. He gets lit up then what?

Play Conklin as backup?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804576 is a reply to message #804572 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 19:09

Calling people delusional, how nice.

Yes just need a solid number 1 goalie like cup winners Antti Niemi, Matt Murray * 2, Cam Ward, or Jordan Binnington.

I’m no fan of our goalies, it’s another Holland failure, but you can win if a crap goalie gets hot at the right time.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804606 is a reply to message #804576 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 17:04 Go to previous message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 22:39

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2022 19:09

Calling people delusional, how nice.

Yes just need a solid number 1 goalie like cup winners Antti Niemi, Matt Murray * 2, Cam Ward, or Jordan Binnington.

I’m no fan of our goalies, it’s another Holland failure, but you can win if a crap goalie gets hot at the right time.

I didn't call you personally delusional. Hell I even endorse it in this day and age as a positive trait considering the state of affairs. I am sorry if I offended you though. My point was is sometimes people can convince themselves all is good when in fact they should be shaking like a dog crapping peach seeds from anxiety. We must win game one. We can't let it become a game of goalie musical chairs.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2022 17:08]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804585 is a reply to message #804572 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

While I love the pessimism and the ability to set the bar very, very low, I have some issue with this. Kevin Lowe isn't the worst GM we've had by a long shot.

Make no mistake, he was objectively bad at his job. He let emotion cloud his judgement constantly. He burnt bridges with just about anyone who left the team. He made some pretty questionable decisions, and he was stuck in the past. All that said, I think he's probably still better than everyone who has come after him. At least he has 2006 on his resume, which some tremendous trades and signings positioning the Oilers for the run. Some believed it was a bit of a fluke given how close the team came to missing the playoffs, but I don't see it that way. They correctly diagnosed that the issues the team was facing was related to weakness on defence and goalie, and unlike our current GM who doesn't think you should "go for it" unless you're a top 5 team in the league, they just addressed those weaknesses through smart trades - basically remaking the roster to add Spacek, Tarnstrom, Samsonov, and Roloson with only Jani Rita, Cory Cross and Marty Reasoner deleted from the roster.

Compare that to the dithering Tambellini, who accomplished nothing outside of a failed (and stupidly leaked) Dany Heatley trade. When it looked like he might have a playoff team for the first (and only) time in his tenure, he decided to really roll the dice and acquire Jerrod Smithson? Naturally we missed the dance. His big signings were virtually all busts - Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, Eric Belanger. Nik Khabibulin might have been his best acquisition through free agency. He wasn't so good at trades either. He traded Cole for Patrick O'Sullivan. He had Colton Teubert as the centrepiece of his Dustin Penner deal (although Klefbom did work out as the secondary piece). He traded Gilbert for Nick Schultz in a one-for-one downgrade. He dealt small prospect Toby Rieder for larger crappier prospect Kale Kessy. He's also embarrassing for how he moved on from coaches - "promoting" Quinn to a special advisor position (with no actual requirement for advising), and telling Renney he needed to write an essay on why he should keep his job if he wanted a shot at a contract extension.

Then there's MacTavish - who's grand plan appears to have been to tell everyone exactly what he wants to do and then just have it magically work out for him. It's shocking that didn't work. From telling the league he intended to move on from both Horcoff and Hemsky and finding that the market then only gave lowballs, to telling everyone who would listen that he was looking for a goalie and didn't like his current one - shattering his confidence. He made Tambellini's approach to coaching changes look brilliant when he fired Krueger via Skype on a call that Krueger thought was going to be about assistant coach candidates. He LOOOOOOVED making trades, making double what anyone else in the NHL had in his first year. Sadly he wasn't any good at that. So many quotable quotes from MacTavish - and so many that didn't age well. "Box checked" about goaltending tandem of Ben Scrivens and Victor Fasth is a good example.

I have to run, so tying this off here, but it's not like the other GMs are going to get less embarrassingly bad!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804586 is a reply to message #804585 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 26 April 2022 12:33

While I love the pessimism and the ability to set the bar very, very low, I have some issue with this. Kevin Lowe isn't the worst GM we've had by a long shot.

Make no mistake, he was objectively bad at his job. He let emotion cloud his judgement constantly. He burnt bridges with just about anyone who left the team. He made some pretty questionable decisions, and he was stuck in the past. All that said, I think he's probably still better than everyone who has come after him. At least he has 2006 on his resume, which some tremendous trades and signings positioning the Oilers for the run. Some believed it was a bit of a fluke given how close the team came to missing the playoffs, but I don't see it that way. They correctly diagnosed that the issues the team was facing was related to weakness on defence and goalie, and unlike our current GM who doesn't think you should "go for it" unless you're a top 5 team in the league, they just addressed those weaknesses through smart trades - basically remaking the roster to add Spacek, Tarnstrom, Samsonov, and Roloson with only Jani Rita, Cory Cross and Marty Reasoner deleted from the roster.

Compare that to the dithering Tambellini, who accomplished nothing outside of a failed (and stupidly leaked) Dany Heatley trade. When it looked like he might have a playoff team for the first (and only) time in his tenure, he decided to really roll the dice and acquire Jerrod Smithson? Naturally we missed the dance. His big signings were virtually all busts - Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, Eric Belanger. Nik Khabibulin might have been his best acquisition through free agency. He wasn't so good at trades either. He traded Cole for Patrick O'Sullivan. He had Colton Teubert as the centrepiece of his Dustin Penner deal (although Klefbom did work out as the secondary piece). He traded Gilbert for Nick Schultz in a one-for-one downgrade. He dealt small prospect Toby Rieder for larger crappier prospect Kale Kessy. He's also embarrassing for how he moved on from coaches - "promoting" Quinn to a special advisor position (with no actual requirement for advising), and telling Renney he needed to write an essay on why he should keep his job if he wanted a shot at a contract extension.

Then there's MacTavish - who's grand plan appears to have been to tell everyone exactly what he wants to do and then just have it magically work out for him. It's shocking that didn't work. From telling the league he intended to move on from both Horcoff and Hemsky and finding that the market then only gave lowballs, to telling everyone who would listen that he was looking for a goalie and didn't like his current one - shattering his confidence. He made Tambellini's approach to coaching changes look brilliant when he fired Krueger via Skype on a call that Krueger thought was going to be about assistant coach candidates. He LOOOOOOVED making trades, making double what anyone else in the NHL had in his first year. Sadly he wasn't any good at that. So many quotable quotes from MacTavish - and so many that didn't age well. "Box checked" about goaltending tandem of Ben Scrivens and Victor Fasth is a good example.

I have to run, so tying this off here, but it's not like the other GMs are going to get less embarrassingly bad!

You're probably right about Lowe. He was better than MacTavish and Tambellini. BUT his tenure was marked by two things: a long slow decline from the very good team Sather built and selling off every future asset he could find for the one successful run. He gets credit for figuring out Pronger was a game changer and I would bet he knew midway through 05-06 it was one and done, but he mismanaged the Oilers for 7 years and was the cause of the decade of darkness that followed.

He was an awful GM.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804587 is a reply to message #804586 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 26 April 2022 12:54

You're probably right about Lowe. He was better than MacTavish and Tambellini. BUT his tenure was marked by two things: a long slow decline from the very good team Sather built and selling off every future asset he could find for the one successful run. He gets credit for figuring out Pronger was a game changer and I would bet he knew midway through 05-06 it was one and done, but he mismanaged the Oilers for 7 years and was the cause of the decade of darkness that followed.

He was an awful GM.

Agreed. I also think that Kevin Lowe continues to have an influence on hockey operations to this day, and has absolutely contributed to keeping terrible GMs longer than the team should, so as an executive overall, Lowe is a total failure. But not the worst. I think he's better than those two, as well as Chiarelli and Tambellini. Here's my synopsis on those guys.

Chiarelli - the team literally would have been better if he had done nothing. One of the very few good moves that MacTavish ever made was picking up an extra first round pick in a deep 2015 draft for David Perron. Had the Oilers used it on Barzal, that would have been ideal. Kyle Connor or Thomas Chabot would have been excellent picks that would have been good impact players for the franchise. Even if we did the rumoured idiotic thing and picked Ericksson-Ek early, it still would have meant we would have a real NHL player for that. Instead, as was his wont, Chia panicked when he failed to trade for Dougie Hamilton and reflexively made a deal for the next live body he was offered, paying almost what Calgary did for an all-star defenceman in order to bring in a guy who never could crack an NHL lineup. The next summer, he wrongly diagnosed a very unlucky season where everyone was hurt constantly in to thinking that there were issues with our most talented players, leading to a trade of Hall for Larsson. The next year he took a bit of a down year as proof that Eberle was an issue and dealt down for Ryan Strome. Then he made that even worse by trading Strome for some guy named Spooner. "The Deal is One for One" defined his tenure here. He finished up just as strong, signing Koskinen to a long-term overpayment. He may be the worst ever because he took an embarrassment of riches and eroded it ridiculously quickly.

Ken Holland has likewise been pretty miserable. He's got the best players in the league in their absolute prime and he's completely failed to build around them. He's demonstrated dinosaur-like instincts, and the good moves he has made, like hiring Woodcroft, are almost entirely by accident.

I think there's a good argument that Lowe is the 5th worst NHL GM for the Oilers. I think Larry Gordon and Keith Gretzky have so little track record they get no ranking, so that makes Lowe the 2nd best of all-time! Even though he admittedly is terrible.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804592 is a reply to message #804587 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think we're examining manure and looking for the good stuff.

1. Sather
2. the brief moments in time between GMs when there was peace and quiet
3. Chia
4. Holland
5. Lowe
6. MacTavish
7. Tambellini

I've got Chia and Holland higher just because Chia had a tiny peak before going full misdiagnosis and Holland has kept the team in the playoff for 3 years. Honestly, this club hasn't been awful since Chiarelli was in charge. The MacTambo era was just 7 years being mired in the muck. They started with an awful team and they left an awful team. The problem with Lowe is he started with a good team slowly made it worse before having one massive peak then created that awful team.

Screw it. Lowe is 7th. He caused this.

1. Sather
3. Chia
4. Holland
5. MacTavish
6. Tambellini
7. Lowe

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804598 is a reply to message #804592 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 26 April 2022 14:25

I think we're examining manure and looking for the good stuff.

1. Sather
3. Chia
4. Holland
5. Lowe
6. MacTavish
7. Tambellini

I've got Chia and Holland higher just because Chia had a tiny peak before going full misdiagnosis and Holland has kept the team in the playoff for 3 years. Honestly, this club hasn't been awful since Chiarelli was in charge. The MacTambo era was just 7 years being mired in the muck. They started with an awful team and they left an awful team. The problem with Lowe is he started with a good team slowly made it worse before having one massive peak then created that awful team.

Screw it. Lowe is 7th. He caused this.

1. Sather
3. Chia
4. Holland
5. MacTavish
6. Tambellini
7. Lowe

I blame Pronger and his 75K per year vehicle fetish that he gives to every reporter he knocks up. I give Lowe a bit of a pass for the brilliant 12 months of GM'ing. Geezus that list is bad.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804599 is a reply to message #804598 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

that's expensive. costs 75K every time you get off... no wonder they need to make so much.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804601 is a reply to message #804585 ]
Tue, 26 April 2022 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 26 April 2022 12:33

I don't think Lowe is the worst either. Many do though so I just used the example to make my point. Tambo has my vote.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804513 is a reply to message #804509 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Played well enough to win. Couldn’t convert. Refs be refs. No one got hurt. Moving on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804515 is a reply to message #804509 ]
Sun, 24 April 2022 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NHL refereeing is hilarious.

NHL 5 Oiler 2

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79) [message #804531 is a reply to message #804515 ]
Mon, 25 April 2022 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I saw this loss coming a mile away as soon as the Oilers beat the Avs. They beat the best team in the league to clinch the playoffs on home ice. I am sure they partied their ass off that night. Then have to fly across the continent to play a matinee game.

The Oilers didn't necessarily play bad but definitely weren't playing like they can and have been. They didn't bury their chances early when they came up. Yamo had several glorious chances. Columbus definitely outworked the Oilers.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #80)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #79)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca