This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Benson is on waiversPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Benson is on waivers [message #801882]
Wed, 16 March 2022 12:12 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Tyler Benson put on waivers as of a few mins ago. I am sure to make room for JP. I guess we will see where he stands in the NHL.

My guess is he will clear but we will find out.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801884 is a reply to message #801882 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Would not be shocked if a seller grabs him. Arizona and Seattle will need live bodies in their lineup.

Not a huge loss if he goes, but he's a useful asset to lose for nothing.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801885 is a reply to message #801884 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd be stunned if he got picked up. I am not trying to bash the guy but lots of teams have guys just like him. A good AHL player who is a tweener NHLer. I would think teams would look at Benson and think if the exact coach that developed him can't find a way to use him full time, he may not be an NHLer.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801891 is a reply to message #801882 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

It's absurd to me that they kept Archibald over Benson. Neither are game-changers, but one is available every game, something I would think you'd want in your depth forwards.

By my calculations (which granted, could be wrong), it's actually a $325,000 greater cap hit to keep Archibald in the NHL and send Benson to the AHL, than to do the reverse. There is a real-world dollars savings of $65,000 to send Benson to the AHL over Archibald, but those kinds of decisions should only matter to poverty franchises.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801896 is a reply to message #801891 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 13:34

It's absurd to me that they kept Archibald over Benson. Neither are game-changers, but one is available every game, something I would think you'd want in your depth forwards.

By my calculations (which granted, could be wrong), it's actually a $325,000 greater cap hit to keep Archibald in the NHL and send Benson to the AHL, than to do the reverse. There is a real-world dollars savings of $65,000 to send Benson to the AHL over Archibald, but those kinds of decisions should only matter to poverty franchises.

This might be an unpopular point of view given I am daring to say anything bad about Benson but it looks like to me the coach is playing the players he thinks he can win games with. I believe that doing well on this homestand is pretty critical to the Oilers playoff chances so its pretty clear he doesn't see Benson as a guy that can help him.

I think people need to accept that if Benson can't find a full time job with the coach who has coached him since he turned pro, maybe he's not good enough.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801898 is a reply to message #801896 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:20

This might be an unpopular point of view given I am daring to say anything bad about Benson but it looks like to me the coach is playing the players he thinks he can win games with. I believe that doing well on this homestand is pretty critical to the Oilers playoff chances so its pretty clear he doesn't see Benson as a guy that can help him.

I think people need to accept that if Benson can't find a full time job with the coach who has coached him since he turned pro, maybe he's not good enough.

It's possible Benson isn't good enough. It's possible that Woodcroft doesn't believe in him. I'm not sure if I agree with that assessment or not given the limited role he's had at the NHL-level, but I'm open to that.

It's why I haven't really dropped Shore's name in here.

But when you are carrying Archibald on the active roster, you are voluntarily short-handed for half your games. It limits your options greatly if there is an injury on a road trip. Add in some cap relief approaching the trade deadline, and those reasons alone make this a headscratcher.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801899 is a reply to message #801898 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:43

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:20

It's possible Benson isn't good enough. It's possible that Woodcroft doesn't believe in him. I'm not sure if I agree with that assessment or not given the limited role he's had at the NHL-level, but I'm open to that.

It's why I haven't really dropped Shore's name in here.

But when you are carrying Archibald on the active roster, you are voluntarily short-handed for half your games. It limits your options greatly if there is an injury on a road trip. Add in some cap relief approaching the trade deadline, and those reasons alone make this a headscratcher.

Archie has to play if we are shopping him I guess. Broberg sent down too to make room for Russell. I think Woodcroft is liking Ryan Shore and foegele line lately. Hard to argue with results.

Hope Benson clears. I enjoy all posts about him on oilfans. Calgary troll claiming him would be entertaining too

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2022 14:46]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801901 is a reply to message #801899 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:44

Archie has to play if we are shopping him I guess.

I guess team's likely do want to see him after the extended time off with heart issues. But I was wondering - is there a requirement to isolate when he gets to the U.S. in any trade? Does he have to drive to Seattle in order to take a flight somewhere? I'm not sure what restrictions are in place, but it feels like if they could look after some of that in advance by getting him to Bakersfield, there is value in that as well.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801905 is a reply to message #801901 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:58

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:44

Archie has to play if we are shopping him I guess.

I guess team's likely do want to see him after the extended time off with heart issues. But I was wondering - is there a requirement to isolate when he gets to the U.S. in any trade? Does he have to drive to Seattle in order to take a flight somewhere? I'm not sure what restrictions are in place, but it feels like if they could look after some of that in advance by getting him to Bakersfield, there is value in that as well.

Even if you really think there's an asset there that you might be able to parlay in to a late pick, what about Devin Shore or Brad Malone? Again, guys who we should know what we have there. Neither have much value to me, and neither is likely to get claimed.

The love this team continues to show for fourth line grinders is always an issue. We must be one of the only teams left who haven't learned that it's a myth to think you need just "guys who can PK and add grit" in that role.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801907 is a reply to message #801898 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

The point about cap relief is valid, but I don't think the active roster will be an issue after the trade deadline, since the roster limits expand so much.

All else being equal, if the Oilers feel there's value to the player, I'd rather the Oilers just keep Archibald, rather than trade him for a 7th round pick. Even if he can only play half the games, that's more than what you're getting back in a trade.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801908 is a reply to message #801907 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 15:42

The point about cap relief is valid, but I don't think the active roster will be an issue after the trade deadline, since the roster limits expand so much.

All else being equal, if the Oilers feel there's value to the player, I'd rather the Oilers just keep Archibald, rather than trade him for a 7th round pick. Even if he can only play half the games, that's more than what you're getting back in a trade.

He's UFA at year end, and can't play half the games. I can't see him signing back unless there's zero restrictions on air travel by the summer, because the same problem will arise, and he's going to be able to play a lot more in the US.

Holland is telling media regularly that cap is a big reason he can't make a deal, so I think it's pretty relevant if you can get any cap savings on someone who is not a big difference maker.

The Oilers may value him higher, but it's Ken Holland and the Oilers management. Who has any faith in their judgement on players at this point? He hasn't played in months. He's dealt with a heart issue. He's got fringe views that made him decide that he wasn't going to get an easy needle that would have made him eligible to play. In his first couple games back he sure isn't looking like a difference maker. Some hits, but some sloppy play.

I think the fact that the Oilers value him above several others on the roster despite all that is more an indictment of the Oilers than a defence of the player.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801902 is a reply to message #801882 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Ridiculous. Bury Archibald.

Clean house or bust

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801903 is a reply to message #801902 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 15:10

Why? Don't you like the Oilers to ice real NHLers?

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801904 is a reply to message #801903 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Real NHLers can play NHL games.

Clean house or bust

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801906 is a reply to message #801904 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 15:21

Real NHLers can play NHL games.

I don't think Archibald is a long term solution due to his status but if he was vaxxed, he'd be in over Benson because he's a real NHLer. So for now on this homestand, he can play, help the team win some games and then when the homestand is over, they have a decision to make.

Don't you worry, Benson will not be claimed and can play on the Oilers again.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801936 is a reply to message #801903 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 15:16

Nice try pal, Benson was drafted AHEAD of perennial 30 goal scorer, Alex DeBrincat.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801942 is a reply to message #801936 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 22:10

Nice try pal, Benson was drafted AHEAD of perennial 30 goal scorer, Alex DeBrincat.

But DeBrincat played with McDavid in Jr. Why would anyone have expected him to work out with our team?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801945 is a reply to message #801942 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Good o Benson love. Reminds me of the robbie schremp days.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801956 is a reply to message #801945 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 06:49

Good o Benson love. Reminds me of the robbie schremp days.

The Captain USA Booster Club was fun. It's different than the let's see if Benson can play and go from there club, but still fun.

Hilariously, "Captain Amer1ca Booster Club" is still listed as impermissible slang here. Blast from the past.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801947 is a reply to message #801936 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Yup. Makes the sting of wasting the pick on Benson hurt just a little more.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801949 is a reply to message #801947 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 08:00

It was a mistake at the draft and it's still a mistake today, but if we were going to look at all of missed shots and who was drafted shortly thereafter we would be here all day. The Benson 2nd round class also had Kyrou, Hronek and Carter Hart.

I just clicked a random year on hockeydb. In 2011 we took Musil instead of Kucherov, Karlsson, Nieto, Saad, etc....There are 15 players with over 200 NHL games taken in that 2nd round. For my own sanity I cannot look at any other years. End of the day, Benson is still fighting for his opportunity. Good luck to him.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801950 is a reply to message #801949 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 08:25

It was a mistake at the draft and it's still a mistake today, but if we were going to look at all of missed shots and who was drafted shortly thereafter we would be here all day. The Benson 2nd round class also had Kyrou, Hronek and Carter Hart.

I just clicked a random year on hockeydb. In 2011 we took Musil instead of Kucherov, Karlsson, Nieto, Saad, etc....There are 15 players with over 200 NHL games taken in that 2nd round. For my own sanity I cannot look at any other years. End of the day, Benson is still fighting for his opportunity. Good luck to him.

The DeBrincat one always stands out to me though. This is an org that operates on gut feel and hunches so much (usually leading to failure and erosion of assets), yet we didn't think drafting a RH sniper with solid history playing with our new franchise/generational player was a good idea. The gut feel/hunch thing obviously was thinking DeBrincat was too small to make it. Also I guess the chance to draft a guy that used to be ranked for the 1st round a year ago in the 2nd round after a year of injuries was just too good to pass up. Opportunity to look like geniuses, getting a 1st rounder in the 2nd round!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801951 is a reply to message #801950 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The drafting for the Oilers wasn't very good with the past regime. I think the drafting for the current regime has been way better. Looks like they have some guys coming. 2nd round picks are ones that teams need to hit on.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801953 is a reply to message #801951 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 08:41

The drafting for the Oilers wasn't very good with the past regime. I think the drafting for the current regime has been way better. Looks like they have some guys coming. 2nd round picks are ones that teams need to hit on.

Once we stop trading them away. At least this years is protected unless we somehow advance to the SCF's.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801958 is a reply to message #801953 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 08:47

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 08:41

Once we stop trading them away. At least this years is protected unless we somehow advance to the SCF's.

Firsts and seconds seem to be the currency for a lot of trades.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801962 is a reply to message #801949 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Worth remembering, at the time of those drafts, the Oilers were talking about how they basically had an extra first round pick, picking at the start of the 2nd. In a way it was even true - today, the picks from 2010-12 would all be 1st rounders.

In 2010 we picked Pitlick (31st OV), 2011 Musil (31st) and 2012 Mitch Moroz (32nd). To be fair, Moroz was the only one that was off the board though, and while that didn't work out, that 2012 draft is so dismal that there's not a lot of guys who you're really heart-broken we didn't get.

And even with Pitlick and Musil, the group closest to them in the draft is all pretty underwhelming. it would be nice to think that we could have been the team that saw Kucherov for the diamond in the rough that he was, but the 58th pick that year (three ahead of the Oilers pick Samu Perhonen). We'd have needed a crystal ball for that one.

I was annoyed at the Benson pick at the time, because it seemed to be picking the Edmonton kid over the guy who had the gaudy numbers and the history with McDavid. I still think that was a big mistake, and likely made in big part because of size. The team still has a fixation with size - I think it's likely to be what makes us give up on Yamamoto for someone inferior but bigger eventually (or this week, who knows!)

I think once he's in the organization though, screwing up that selection isn't a reason to value Brad Malone, Devin Shore and 50% of Nate Archibald over him though, and actually his numbers under Woodcroft are pretty decent.

I do wonder how much Holland is involved in player decisions still. I thought his comment yesterday that the need to get Mike Smith going was ominous.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801963 is a reply to message #801962 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 10:04

Worth remembering, at the time of those drafts, the Oilers were talking about how they basically had an extra first round pick, picking at the start of the 2nd. In a way it was even true - today, the picks from 2010-12 would all be 1st rounders.

In 2010 we picked Pitlick (31st OV), 2011 Musil (31st) and 2012 Mitch Moroz (32nd). To be fair, Moroz was the only one that was off the board though, and while that didn't work out, that 2012 draft is so dismal that there's not a lot of guys who you're really heart-broken we didn't get.

And even with Pitlick and Musil, the group closest to them in the draft is all pretty underwhelming. it would be nice to think that we could have been the team that saw Kucherov for the diamond in the rough that he was, but the 58th pick that year (three ahead of the Oilers pick Samu Perhonen). We'd have needed a crystal ball for that one.

I was annoyed at the Benson pick at the time, because it seemed to be picking the Edmonton kid over the guy who had the gaudy numbers and the history with McDavid. I still think that was a big mistake, and likely made in big part because of size. The team still has a fixation with size - I think it's likely to be what makes us give up on Yamamoto for someone inferior but bigger eventually (or this week, who knows!)

I think once he's in the organization though, screwing up that selection isn't a reason to value Brad Malone, Devin Shore and 50% of Nate Archibald over him though, and actually his numbers under Woodcroft are pretty decent.

I do wonder how much Holland is involved in player decisions still. I thought his comment yesterday that the need to get Mike Smith going was ominous.

Benson has been on the roster for the whole season taking up a spot, counting against the cap so no one can blame the GM for not calling him up. The coach who he started his pro career with and has developed him the whole time has been on the bench for the last month. So if there is anyone who would know what Benson can do and what he brings to the roster, it would be Woodcroft. He gave him some games but has decided it's best to not play him as they try to win games. I don't know how much more damning it can get for a player when the guy that has coached you for 4 years thinks it better not to play you.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801964 is a reply to message #801963 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 10:20

Benson has been on the roster for the whole season taking up a spot, counting against the cap so no one can blame the GM for not calling him up. The coach who he started his pro career with and has developed him the whole time has been on the bench for the last month. So if there is anyone who would know what Benson can do and what he brings to the roster, it would be Woodcroft. He gave him some games but has decided it's best to not play him as they try to win games. I don't know how much more damning it can get for a player when the guy that has coached you for 4 years thinks it better not to play you.

Hey, if you truly believe the roster is better with Brad Malone, then you can feel free to be wrong.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801975 is a reply to message #801964 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 10:44

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 10:20

Hey, if you truly believe the roster is better with Brad Malone, then you can feel free to be wrong.

I am not a professional hockey person, I am a fan who is just going by what the coach is deciding to do. He knows both players because he has coached them for years. It's not a money issue because they literally make the same in salary. It's not a no room on the roster issue because they were both on it. The coach isn't playing him by choice.

He's making league minimum and there is maybe 20ish games left in the year and he's not even signed for next year, he's an RFA. So a team can literally walk away from him next year if they don't like what they see. So what happens if Benson gets passed over by 31 other teams when they can have him for free at next to no cost, does that mean 31 more teams are a bunch of idiots?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2022 11:15]

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801978 is a reply to message #801975 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 11:13

I am not a professional hockey person, I am a fan who is just going by what the coach is deciding to do. He knows both players because he has coached them for years. It's not a money issue because they literally make the same in salary. It's not a no room on the roster issue because they were both on it. The coach isn't playing him by choice.

He's making league minimum and there is maybe 20ish games left in the year and he's not even signed for next year, he's an RFA. So a team can literally walk away from him next year if they don't like what they see. So what happens if Benson gets passed over by 31 other teams when they can have him for free at next to no cost, does that mean 31 more teams are a bunch of idiots?

You are still making the same mistake you've been making for a couple months in relation to this player. You seem to think that those defending him are suggesting he's a star in the making. That is not the case.

The argument, as always, is that we know what Malone, Shore and Archibald is. Their ceiling is low, their contributions are minimal. There's a chance that Benson can out-perform that, but he needs to see some action to accomplish that. He has, in fact, by the numbers been decent in the Woodcroft era.

I don't know all that's going on behind the scenes, although it's ultimately the GM, not the coach, who decides who goes up and down. I think that it's a mistake based on what I've seen to risk losing a player who may be better than the bottom of the roster, in order to keep those bottom guys up. I don't think Malone would even need to face waivers (having just recently done so), and he's a healthy scratch anyhow. Why not just demote him? This is one of those decisions that doesn't make a lot of sense, especially going in to the playoffs. If Benson is picked, then that's one less option we have, when we could have avoided risking anyone.

If there were some potential cap savings, I could maybe understand, but that also isn't the case. This just seems to be the Oilers taking a needless risk.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801979 is a reply to message #801978 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Well he cleared

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801980 is a reply to message #801979 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 12:34

Well he cleared

Good news!

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801982 is a reply to message #801979 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Well he cleared

NO WAY!! Shocker!

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801983 is a reply to message #801979 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Well he cleared

I still think it makes sense to try and get some extra cap space for the deadline and have Archibald ready to to go to an American team. Oilers must think Archibald has some actual trade value that they'd lose if he were to hit waivers.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801984 is a reply to message #801983 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 14:40

Well he cleared

I still think it makes sense to try and get some extra cap space for the deadline and have Archibald ready to to go to an American team. Oilers must think Archibald has some actual trade value that they'd lose if he were to hit waivers.

I haven't heard this mentioned, but it's also possible that the vaccine requirement to fly to the U.S. will be lifted before the end of the season (things are changing fast). That would obviously make Archibald more useful to the Oilers.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801985 is a reply to message #801983 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Well he cleared

Why would you not as a team try to get something for a player like Archibald if at all possible vs just automatically waiving him? I think he could help teams. He's a speedy 4th liner, plays very physical. Can kill penalties and can score a bit. But if I am a team, I wouldn't give up an asset unless I know for certain he is fully healthy and can play.

I don't know if a trade will happen but I don't see a harm in playing him for your homestand. I know some in here will disagree but he's a better player than Benson. SO why not play him for the home games while you can.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801991 is a reply to message #801985 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 14:11

Why would you not as a team try to get something for a player like Archibald if at all possible vs just automatically waiving him? I think he could help teams. He's a speedy 4th liner, plays very physical. Can kill penalties and can score a bit. But if I am a team, I wouldn't give up an asset unless I know for certain he is fully healthy and can play.

I don't know if a trade will happen but I don't see a harm in playing him for your homestand. I know some in here will disagree but he's a better player than Benson. SO why not play him for the home games while you can.

Archibald is a good player, especially PK.
The requirement for vax pass to fly will be dropped sooner than later.
Canada domestic first.
US will probably allow international travel relatively soon, Canada will be forced to follow.

France has already dropped a vax requirement for entry.. same with UK.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/now-it-is-easier-than- ever-to-travel-to-france-in-spite-of-covid-19-vaccination-te sting-more-entry-rules-explained/

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801993 is a reply to message #801991 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 15:32

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 14:11

Archibald is a good player, especially PK.
The requirement for vax pass to fly will be dropped sooner than later.
Canada domestic first.
US will probably allow international travel relatively soon, Canada will be forced to follow.

France has already dropped a vax requirement for entry.. same with UK.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/now-it-is-easier-than- ever-to-travel-to-france-in-spite-of-covid-19-vaccination-te sting-more-entry-rules-explained/

I agree. I know the vax requirements don't make it easy when they leave for the road but if he is ready to go, why not play him on home ice. He's better than multiple guys they were having to play when they were so injured. Every win helps and he can help them win just with his PK work.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #802008 is a reply to message #801985 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 15:11

Well he cleared

I guess it depends on if you think the Oilers can get something for him, and if they can if they maximize his trade value by getting him to the States now so he can quickly join his new team or if they do it by having him play NHL games for scouts. I don't think his value is high at all, and certainly any team having to wait a week or 10 days for his services probably will pay less than if they can have him in the lineup that night. But I also understand why any GM looking at him would want to see how he looks against NHL competition after a heart problem.

I know for certain we are going to hear Ken Holland talk about how the Oilers have no cap room and how that made it difficult to do a deal (by the way, Ken, who created that problem?), but one way you can get a LITTLE flexibility is by having Archibald in the minors. It creates a little more opportunity to make moves in the next couple days.

Certainly a little more cap space at the deadline is helpful, and I guess my line of thinking is that I'm skeptical how much interest there *actually* is in Josh Archibald, and I think the extra cap space that demoting hime creates is probably more beneficial to the club than any negligible difference between him and a half dozen other depth players in the organization. I guess we will see if he is moved here in the next couple days if there was truly any interest.

Re: Benson is on waivers [message #801987 is a reply to message #801983 ]
Thu, 17 March 2022 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Well he cleared

I still think the most sense would have been to send Malone down since he didn't require waivers and could be sent without any risk of losing him. If you really think the team needs that player around, then bring him back up after the deadline when the roster limit expands.

With regards to vaxx status for Archibald, I think it would be silly to keep him in hopes that the governments change the requirements and he can both fly and not face quarantine. Get whatever you can for the player. It's not like he's under contract for next year anyhow. This season is all that matters with that player, and he never was one that added a lot.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #61)
Next Topic:GDT: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #61)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca