This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801825]
Tue, 15 March 2022 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Detroit to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801829 is a reply to message #801825 ]
Tue, 15 March 2022 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Glad the goaltending and defensive game is fixed..💀

Guess they still got the 2 points but man oh man there are some serious alarms with this team

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801830 is a reply to message #801829 ]
Tue, 15 March 2022 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

We are definitely trading the 1st for Staal now. Did you see that guy bust out on us? Hat trick if you include the game winner!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801832 is a reply to message #801830 ]
Tue, 15 March 2022 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 15 March 2022 21:41

We are definitely trading the 1st for Staal now. Did you see that guy bust out on us? Hat trick if you include the game winner!

Include the first and they throw in Griess?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801834 is a reply to message #801825 ]
Tue, 15 March 2022 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Happy they won.

But, was hoping Koskinen could keep the battler out of the net a couple games. Now I fear we may get the battler diet for a couple games.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801838 is a reply to message #801834 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 15 March 2022 21:46

Happy they won.

But, was hoping Koskinen could keep the battler out of the net a couple games. Now I fear we may get the battler diet for a couple games.

Smith has just been biding his time, playing the good teammate, waiting for his one opportunity to finally show the team what he's got! Now maybe he'll at last have his chance!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801836 is a reply to message #801825 ]
Tue, 15 March 2022 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Well, the Oilers arrive on time but tried leaving early.

Bad Koskinen makes an appearance, I counted 3 GA that ranged from the ol' 'would like to have it back' to *abhorrent*. Cripes you're up 4-1 after 2 and it's a struggle to bring it home against Detroit?

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801837 is a reply to message #801825 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Defense still too loose.
Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers.
Kosko no situational awareness whenever he goes behind his net.. GA.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801839 is a reply to message #801837 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94 is currently online oilfan94

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 03:04

Defense still too loose.
Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers.
Kosko no situational awareness whenever he goes behind his net.. GA.

Is it just me or did Koskonen not used to play the puck as much like he tries to do now? Maybe Smith has been giving him pointers. Skinner is the same way, but I feel like he has more history of playing the puck (I think he scored a goal in juniors). Just seems like almost every game there is a goalie misplaying the puck that results in a goal, and all three of them have done it pretty consistently this season.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801840 is a reply to message #801837 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

icon_lol

This place is hilarious sometimes. If a person didn't know the score but read the comments in here, you'd think the Oilers lost.

Oilers came out flying, got up early. Looked like an easy night, wrongly took the foot off the gas. Wings got a few lucky bounces. A gaf by Koskinen cost them a goal.

I have seen the tweets by all the stats guys before. There have been games where the Oilers absolutely dominated in all aspects of the game. All the chances, advanced stats, spread sheets saying "if they play like that, they win 70, 80, 90%" of the time and they lose. They had a few games just like that on the road trip. I am done caring about how they look or how they play in a game. It's all about wins. Win the game however way you can. If you dominate, great. If you have a stinker but the goalie stands on his head, great. At the end of the year all that matters is how many wins and points did you get and where are you in the standings. Until the day comes where they change the point value on a win and base it on how a team plays to get that win, a sloppy win counts the same as a dominate win.

They needed the 2 points, they got the 2 points. Focus on the next game.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801844 is a reply to message #801840 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 08:46

icon_lol

This place is hilarious sometimes. If a person didn't know the score but read the comments in here, you'd think the Oilers lost.

Oilers came out flying, got up early. Looked like an easy night, wrongly took the foot off the gas. Wings got a few lucky bounces. A gaf by Koskinen cost them a goal.

I have seen the tweets by all the stats guys before. There have been games where the Oilers absolutely dominated in all aspects of the game. All the chances, advanced stats, spread sheets saying "if they play like that, they win 70, 80, 90%" of the time and they lose. They had a few games just like that on the road trip. I am done caring about how they look or how they play in a game. It's all about wins. Win the game however way you can. If you dominate, great. If you have a stinker but the goalie stands on his head, great. At the end of the year all that matters is how many wins and points did you get and where are you in the standings. Until the day comes where they change the point value on a win and base it on how a team plays to get that win, a sloppy win counts the same as a dominate win.

I agree the two points is the ultimate goal, but you cannot ignore how they got them. Our amazing start to the season was visually horrendous aside from the banked points. Lucky at times. Outscored their problems.

Now on a positive note. This team has shown it can tighten the hatches when they need to against the elite NHL teams, but for whatever reason seem to take shifts or play pond hockey with the bottom feeders. Thankfully the playoffs have well structured, great teams that Edmonton might not try to run against, but when is this team going to stop reacting to their opponents? Last night should have been a 7-2 victory. Sure some of the goals against were lucky, but there were two thwarted breakaways from bad coverage.

That game was reminiscent of October Oilers. Non bueno. I am confident Woodcroft and Manson will be have some talks with the team before the Sabres. Keep the start, but do not start giving up the neutral zone after being so dominate.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801845 is a reply to message #801844 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:05

icon_lol

I agree the two points is the ultimate goal, but you cannot ignore how they got them. Our amazing start to the season was visually horrendous aside from the banked points. Lucky at times. Outscored their problems.

Now on a positive note. This team has shown it can tighten the hatches when they need to against the elite NHL teams, but for whatever reason seem to take shifts or play pond hockey with the bottom feeders. Thankfully the playoffs have well structured, great teams that Edmonton might not try to run against, but when is this team going to stop reacting to their opponents? Last night should have been a 7-2 victory. Sure some of the goals against were lucky, but there were two thwarted breakaways from bad coverage.

That game was reminiscent of October Oilers. Non bueno. I am confident Woodcroft and Manson will be have some talks with the team before the Sabres. Keep the start, but do not start giving up the neutral zone after being so dominate.

Why is it important to focus on how they played in 1 game?

They Oilers played a fantastic game against one of the best teams in the league in Carolina. They dominated the stats, all the stat sheets said they should have won but Andersson stood on his head and they lost. But they got nothing to show for it other than the good old moral victory. Last night the played a meh game and won.

The only thing I am taking from last nights game is the 2 points and they are finding ways to win games vs during that bad stretch, they were finding ways to lose game.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2022 09:14]

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801848 is a reply to message #801845 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:11

icon_lol

They Oilers played a fantastic game against one of the best teams in the league in Carolina. They dominated the stats, all the stat sheets said they should have won but Andersson stood on his head and they lost. But they got nothing to show for it other than the good old moral victory. Last night the played a meh game and won.

I would rationalize if they played like they did against Carolina that they would be an elite team. If you can run with the best playing like they did, why would you change? Unfortunately I have been watching a few Calgary games lately, and they bring a very consistent effort night in, night out and they are dominate. Teams have to adjust to how they play, and not the other way around.

I want that in Edmonton and with this forward group, they should be driving opponents nuts, and not the coaching staff and fan base.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801852 is a reply to message #801848 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:17

icon_lol

I would rationalize if they played like they did against Carolina that they would be an elite team. If you can run with the best playing like they did, why would you change? Unfortunately I have been watching a few Calgary games lately, and they bring a very consistent effort night in, night out and they are dominate. Teams have to adjust to how they play, and not the other way around.

I want that in Edmonton and with this forward group, they should be driving opponents nuts, and not the coaching staff and fan base.

You may disagree with my opinion but I believe the style of players the Flames have vs the Oilers plays into how they play.

The Flames do not have McD or Leon. Those are the 2 that lead the Oilers and set the tone. They are not grind it out, battle in the corners, cycle, cycle, cycle, hard hockey guys. As mean and demanding as Sutter is, I do not think he would be making those 2 into skilled grinders. When Sutter was with the Kings, he didn't have a McD or a Leon, he had a bunch of big, skilled grinders. If you look at the Flames and the style of players they have, other than Gaudreau, they have a whole bunch of skilled grinders. Even Tkachuk, who's a good player but if he isn't grinding it out and working hard, he's not effective. So they have to work hard to succeed. They don't have a McD who in 1 shift while playing a poor game can just deke through 5 guys and score. Look at their defense. They do not have a Bouchard or a Barrie or a Keith. Keith is getting old but all 3 of those guys are skilled, puck moving dmen who grinding it out in the corners and beating on guys is not in their game. Look at the Flames defense. Other than Kylington, they don't have any dmen who anyone would consider just skilled guys.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801870 is a reply to message #801852 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:35

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:17

icon_lol

You may disagree with my opinion but I believe the style of players the Flames have vs the Oilers plays into how they play.

The Flames do not have McD or Leon. Those are the 2 that lead the Oilers and set the tone. They are not grind it out, battle in the corners, cycle, cycle, cycle, hard hockey guys. As mean and demanding as Sutter is, I do not think he would be making those 2 into skilled grinders. When Sutter was with the Kings, he didn't have a McD or a Leon, he had a bunch of big, skilled grinders. If you look at the Flames and the style of players they have, other than Gaudreau, they have a whole bunch of skilled grinders. Even Tkachuk, who's a good player but if he isn't grinding it out and working hard, he's not effective. So they have to work hard to succeed. They don't have a McD who in 1 shift while playing a poor game can just deke through 5 guys and score. Look at their defense. They do not have a Bouchard or a Barrie or a Keith. Keith is getting old but all 3 of those guys are skilled, puck moving dmen who grinding it out in the corners and beating on guys is not in their game. Look at the Flames defense. Other than Kylington, they don't have any dmen who anyone would consider just skilled guys.

The Kings played a consistent, tight game even with their skill guys. Kopitar turned into a Selke candidate. Good Cup contending teams are consistent from game to game, regardless of their personnel. I am not saying Edmonton has too mimic another team, but they need to play the same game, night in and night out. They have the ability, but it needs to be there every game and eventually work out the small wrinkles until they become a legitimate, consistent contending team. Right now, this team is too erratic. Almost bi-polar from game to game or shift to shift.

I will say that Woodcroft has brought them a better game, and they show up more consistently, but they do slip back into dog turd mode when they stop paying attention to detail. The odd bad period or game is expected, but the losing streaks need to end.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801849 is a reply to message #801845 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I agree with you! The Oilers could win the cup, and guys here would focus on defensive breakdowns in the cup final game. Look at the whole JW time here and our 5x5 stats. To think this team is not trending in the right direction would be false. McD is doing his best Lebron and turning it up now down the stretch. Nuge and JP will be back within 2 weeks (JP tomorrow). Holloway is there getting better every game in the AHL. Also, to all the Barrie haters, this PP is SOOOO much better when he is running it. With saying that, he will be traded for value before start of next season.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801851 is a reply to message #801849 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:20

I agree with you! The Oilers could win the cup, and guys here would focus on defensive breakdowns in the cup final game. Look at the whole JW time here and our 5x5 stats. To think this team is not trending in the right direction would be false. McD is doing his best Lebron and turning it up now down the stretch. Nuge and JP will be back within 2 weeks (JP tomorrow). Holloway is there getting better every game in the AHL. Also, to all the Barrie haters, this PP is SOOOO much better when he is running it. With saying that, he will be traded for value before start of next season.

If Barrie gets moved it will because Holland handcuffed himself. Need to free up money to sign a goalie and re-up Puljujarvi and Yamamoto. Barrie has value to a team like Seattle and although he looks best right now now when he's running the PP, it will not matter as much when Nuge returns. He's the real linchpin on the backend. The Oilers have ran a lot of good PP's and when it drops, regardless of the D QB, it is when 93 is out of lineup.

Nuge is the Rodney Dangerfield of this club.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801854 is a reply to message #801851 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:27

If Barrie gets moved it will because Holland handcuffed himself. Need to free up money to sign a goalie and re-up Puljujarvi and Yamamoto. Barrie has value to a team like Seattle and although he looks best right now now when he's running the PP, it will not matter as much when Nuge returns. He's the real linchpin on the backend. The Oilers have ran a lot of good PP's and when it drops, regardless of the D QB, it is when 93 is out of lineup.

I have said it before. To me the Barrie contract was 100% signed to be moved. To dump the responsibility of being the primary puck mover, point scorer and PP QB on Bouchard going into his first full season I felt was unrealistic. Barrie provides cover for Bouchard and in the offseason, his contract is so affordable and so easy to move, it won't be a problem at all.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801886 is a reply to message #801851 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 12:56 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 08:27

Rodney-Nugent Hopkins
https://media4.giphy.com/media/Te0mQ7oWbqot5LpaTT/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47czklqxtxghpl4o147h2rv1lurh2jot3htpd99rii&rid=200w.webp&ct=g

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2022 12:58]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801856 is a reply to message #801849 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

(JP tomorrow)

Is this true? I haven't heard this anywhere.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801857 is a reply to message #801856 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:39

(JP tomorrow)

Lots of speculation by all the media that have been watching practice that he will probably play Thursday based on him being a full participant in the last few practices.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801872 is a reply to message #801857 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 09:46

(JP tomorrow)

Lots of speculation by all the media that have been watching practice that he will probably play Thursday based on him being a full participant in the last few practices.

He's wearing the orange jersey in the last practice. I am guessing if he responded well to contact he will be in tomorrow. Either way, he is close to returning. The forward depth gets me giddy.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801878 is a reply to message #801872 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 11:41

(JP tomorrow)

He's wearing the orange jersey in the last practice. I am guessing if he responded well to contact he will be in tomorrow. Either way, he is close to returning. The forward depth gets me giddy.

Well, I picked him up in a hockey pool and that's what really matters.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #801881 is a reply to message #801872 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 11:41

(JP tomorrow)

Benson hit the waiver wire today, so I'm assuming this means they are freeing up a spot for JP to return

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Previous Topic:Oilers select 6th rd (#169) - Filip Engaras
Next Topic:GDT: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #60)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca