This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795474]
Sun, 05 December 2021 18:05 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795475 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Russell turning back into Russell after being better than Russell for awhile.

Beaten badly.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795476 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

2:01 in and its 1-0 dirt bags.
Weak effort early as usual.
LA brings pressure, pressure, pressure.. this could be ugly.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795477 is a reply to message #795476 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

With the 2 crossbars the kings beat koski 3 times, not good

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795480 is a reply to message #795477 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This first period is a perfect example of what we've seen wayyyy too many times with this team. The identity that they've created, essentially a team that eases itself into the game (almost anticipating that the other team is going to show them way more respect than they ever actually do)... and then the Oilers chase. Same old story.

This team will never win anything of any real significance until they realize that they haven't won jack all and opposing teams see them as a skill team that doesn't have the guts to play hard to win. The Oilers don't win tough, the win with skill. You need both to win in the playoffs.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795487 is a reply to message #795480 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 05 December 2021 17:35

This first period is a perfect example of what we've seen wayyyy too many times with this team. The identity that they've created, essentially a team that eases itself into the game (almost anticipating that the other team is going to show them way more respect than they ever actually do)... and then the Oilers chase. Same old story.

This team will never win anything of any real significance until they realize that they haven't won jack all and opposing teams see them as a skill team that doesn't have the guts to play hard to win. The Oilers don't win tough, the win with skill. You need both to win in the playoffs.

A simple solution is mandate that every player has to have a hit on his first shift, build some freaking inertia.. but this shouldn't have to be said.. it should be their natural tendency.. the fact it isn't is an indication you need to change out some bodies.. still.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795494 is a reply to message #795487 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 05 December 2021 20:39

A simple solution is mandate that every player has to have a hit on his first shift,

It's not 1978. Physicality and throwing a hit the first shift isn't the issue and mandating that will do nothing but lead to more penalties in the first period.

After the first ten mins I would limit ice time of those not moving their feet. If it is consistent that player gets all you can eat popcorn next game. Make it cut and dry, no one is safe. The Oilers as an entire team coast through the first 20 period at a minimum, often first 40 mins.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795545 is a reply to message #795494 ]
Mon, 06 December 2021 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 05 December 2021 19:33

A simple solution is mandate that every player has to have a hit on his first shift,

It's not 1978. Physicality and throwing a hit the first shift isn't the issue and mandating that will do nothing but lead to more penalties in the first period.

After the first ten mins I would limit ice time of those not moving their feet. If it is consistent that player gets all you can eat popcorn next game. Make it cut and dry, no one is safe. The Oilers as an entire team coast through the first 20 period at a minimum, often first 40 mins.

Its 2021, you can still hit and finish a check in the NHL and not get a penalty.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795546 is a reply to message #795545 ]
Mon, 06 December 2021 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 06 December 2021 14:13

Its 2021, you can still hit and finish a check in the NHL and not get a penalty.

I don't think hitting is the biggest problem. Shots on goal and zone time are much more important ones to address.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795547 is a reply to message #795546 ]
Mon, 06 December 2021 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 December 2021 13:16

I don't think hitting is the biggest problem. Shots on goal and zone time are much more important ones to address.

No it sure isn't their biggest problem, but initiating a hit and finishing a check on your 1st shift forces a guy to get into the game at the start, might still not work, but it's got to be better than stuffing their noses with ammonia capsules on the bench, because that sure isn't working. They are way too dopey to start a game, soft play all around, hesitation in every decision, waiting for the play to come to them, reacting instead of initiating.
Initiate a hit, finish a freaking check for once, puts the other team off balance, we know this works because that is what other teams consistently do to the Oilers, with success. Whatever their pre-game plan is to start a game, it isn't working, you can see it, soft play, and dopey decisions. Hey, maybe they're using too much smelling salts, making them woozy!

[Updated on: Mon, 06 December 2021 15:21]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795549 is a reply to message #795546 ]
Mon, 06 December 2021 15:55 Go to previous message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 December 2021 14:16

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 06 December 2021 14:13

Separating player from puck will get you those. I don't think bottom 6 players anywhere really create much off the rush.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795548 is a reply to message #795545 ]
Mon, 06 December 2021 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 06 December 2021 15:13

I agree but you can't fit a round peg in a square hole. The Oilers as a group aren't built to be a physical, bruising team.
If you want them to start better they need to have a game plan of up tempo, hard skating hockey. Pressure every pass, win every race, etc.
Sure, there are a few guys that could use your advice, but for the most part if you tell the entire team to start the game throwing the body around at every turn they would find them selves in a hole just as often.

The team comes out most games watching the other team skate hard and out shoot them. This is a team built on speed and skill, right or wrong, they will win or lose that way.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795478 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Hey what else is new, refs turn wilfully blind eye on Brown manhandling Nurse....

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795481 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

As the game isn't on the normal TV at the pub here, I arrived late. I see we're playing the spot them 2 goals offense tonight. It has worked, I think.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795482 is a reply to message #795481 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Remember when the Pens, fired their coach in 2016 and won the cup? Kenny my man, its time for Tipp to get to stepping and bring up Woodcroft....

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795485 is a reply to message #795482 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 05 December 2021 19:12

Remember when the Pens, fired their coach in 2016 and won the cup? Kenny my man, its time for Tipp to get to stepping and bring up Woodcroft....

I haven't had huge issues with Tippet as compared to some of his predecessors, but geez these starts have to be on the coach a bit. But on the other hand, this isn't a team of milksop rookies either. This team should be fire coming out of the gate, they've got to find ways to bring more energy and urgency earlier, and there's more than one way to do it. Giving up a rough goal early just takes the juice out of building.

Have any of the players checked out? Outside of Kassian, I can't see any. Can another guy get what's needed out of this group to move the playoff needle in a big way? Possibly. The GM has to be absolutely correct on replacing a coach in a ~ .750 start a quarter of the way though. It's clearly a critical year for the Oilers.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795486 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Man I hate D-bag Brown, hope Karma is fulfilled and he finishes his career on the LTIR as he deserves.
On of the Dirtiness players ever in the league.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795489 is a reply to message #795486 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Ugh... I know a person that was going to their first ever NHL game. Oilers fan since she was young.

And she gets to see this stink-fest. Great work team. Really showed up for this one.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795488 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

There goes the Ldy Byng for Connor. Probably warranted penalty.

Couple shorties to win no worries.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795490 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Yeah the old-time plumbers at NHL Corp just loved calling that 5 and game on McD.. all the S__T that guy takes every game and they purposely ignore it, rightfully get called out, you know they look forward to any chance they can get to call McD for something.. I'm sure the clowns at DOPeS will be reviewing in super s l o w motion to see if they can wring out even more than than that in added suspension.

If I was the guy I'd refuse all NHL publicity appearances, F the allstar game..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795491 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

OilFans wrote on Sun, 05 December 2021 18:05

Oops fat rebound and no tie up in front. Game over.

Lacklustre effort overall.

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795493 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Full meltdown sucks. Especially against McLellan

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #795495 is a reply to message #795474 ]
Sun, 05 December 2021 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Edit, meant to post in PGT

Previous Topic:Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Next Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca