This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793313]
Thu, 21 October 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Arizona to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793316 is a reply to message #793313 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

It took a period to get rolling... 19 stood up. Good win. god

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793317 is a reply to message #793313 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Good game, good game.

Arizona looks so bad. Tank champs for sure. Half that team can't even make a simple pass. Hope they get the 4th pick :)

McDavid casually leading the NHL in goals and points for the moment. Not too shabby.

Keith/Ceci looked good. Ceci honestly does remind me of Larrson. Probably what Larsson would play like if he had better wheels.

Foegele, pretty much what I hoped for. He's out there forechecking well, making nice pass interceptions in to stop transitions. Smart player. Him and Ryan are going to add something we haven't had in a long time to our bottom 6.

Really hope Yams can figure something out. He's really struggling, giving pucks away, falling down constantly. I want 2019/20 Yams back :(

And don't let Drai off the hook on that 2nd line. Can't just keep putting him up with McDavid to get him going. Before the playoffs we have to figure out something for that 2nd line. Maybe we do need to try Pulju there with Nuge/Drai.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2021 22:47]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793318 is a reply to message #793313 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Once we scored we never looked back and were in cruise control for the rest of the game. I can't remember when I felt this comfortable watching the Oilers play as I did tonight. Apart from Kass taking that stupid penalty at the end of the game, no real complaints about any of the team and the 4th line got some ice time as well.

Now roll on into Vegas where I doubt I'll feel comfortable watching the game even after the game ends.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793321 is a reply to message #793313 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Koski looked really, really solid, handling the puck much better, him and Smith might be a great tandem.. hold off on the goalie trade at the deadline..

Nuge. Best game I can remember for a long time, he was tenacious at both ends of the ice, great passes, wizardly take aways, back check, forecheck.. pay cheque! He's having a Nugie Renaissance.

McDavid. The best there is. so skilled. so quick. so slick. on a mission.

LD he was moving his feet more tonight playing center, good to jog him into a higher gear.

Foegle. I knew he'd be good, but he's exceeded my expectations, super effective, both ends of the ice.. what a difference the having an NHL caliber 3rd line compared to what we've had to ice the last few years. He's starting to shine, I think he'll get even better with more ice time than he got back in Carolina.

Keith. The guy is starting to settle in.. positioning, wheels, puck retrieval, outlet passes, PK, even his shots from the point.. all awesome icon_nod

Hyman. Great combo with McD, guy knows how to put the puck in the net, forecheck, back check demon!

Barrie, Yamo, need to work on their games.. Barrie especially, hasn't had a good game yet.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2021 23:03]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793322 is a reply to message #793313 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Took a while to wake up, but it was nice to see someone else other than 97/29 to wake up the troops. Foegele and Hyman were huge tonight.

Koskinen looked solid, but I’m a hater. I need to see Mikko do this against some good teams on a consistent basis before I contemplate changing my mind.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793323 is a reply to message #793313 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

BTW.. after watching the replay on the Foegle goal, he was hooked in the hands from behind on a clear break .. refs refused to make a call.. good thing he scored.

Then the BS calls on Kassian

the 1st one, Kassian didn't even contact with Ghost up high, neither the elbow nor the stick.. no pun intended but it was a classic NHL "ghost call".

Then on the 2nd, he gets a "slash" call for "pushing" a guy in slow motion with his stick, then a misconduct on top of that when he points out the ref's incompetence.

This ref crew couldn't do a beer league game.

Corey Syrvet (Danny's brother?)
https://nhlofficials.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Corey-Syvret.png

Kelly Sutherland
https://nhlofficials.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Kelly-Sutherland.png

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2021 23:21]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793325 is a reply to message #793323 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 23:17

BTW.. after watching the replay on the Foegle goal, he was hooked in the hands from behind on a clear break .. refs refused to make a call.. good thing he scored.

Then the BS calls on Kassian

the 1st one, Kassian didn't even contact with Ghost up high, neither the elbow nor the stick.. no pun intended but it was a classic NHL "ghost call".

Then on the 2nd, he gets a "slash" call for "pushing" a guy in slow motion with his stick, then a misconduct on top of that when he points out the ref's incompetence.

This ref crew couldn't do a beer league game.

They could do a beer league game, but they wouldn’t. Scared crapless too make it to the parking lot.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793326 is a reply to message #793325 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 22:21

They could do a beer league game, but they wouldn’t. Scared crapless too make it to the parking lot.

oh yeah, you're right .. they'd have to face that thing called accountability!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793338 is a reply to message #793326 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

My god that reffing was atrocious. No call on McDavid in the 1st. They weren't going to call anything on Foegele when he scored, amongst many many other noncalls.

I love Hyman on that top line. I think I like that top line better than with Draisaitl, not even taking into account how much better the 2nd line gets with Draisaitl there.

Awesome to have an actual NHL level 3rd line, and even the 4th line is not horrible. Actually really not bad for a 4th line.

Ceci and Keith looked fine. Keith seemed to be skating better, as in skating very well. icon_thumbsup

And like everyone has said - Yamo and Barrie are not playing very well to put it nicely. For Barrie the easy answer is to put Bouchard in his spot. For Yamo, not sure what the options are. Move Foegele or Kassian up and Yamo down? But then I think both lines gets worse honestly...

Anyway, 8 points in the bank. rock

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793339 is a reply to message #793338 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Thought that was the best game we played so far this season. The result never looked in doubt.
Still loving the Hyman & Foegle additions, and Keith was solid once again.

Not sure what's going on with Yamamoto, but he better figure it out before someone else gets a bump to his spot (maybe Perlini)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793324 is a reply to message #793313 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Didn't care much for that first period, no one looked very good. I even thought there was something up with 97 in the early going.

Love the 3rd line competence this year.

I thought Nuge had his best game of the year...well his best 2 periods... a dirty thief in removing pucks from opponents, 3A, feeling it....which is good to see early in a season because he usually takes a few games. More please.

Hyman was a beast on teams, goals on both roles. One thing I noticed with Hyman up with Connor is you don't get to see Zack's relentless forechecking ability as much on a line that creates so much with control off the rush, and has Connor controlling the puck a lot in the o zone. Is that his best deployment? Remains to be seen.

If it's possible, I think this year's PP is better. The movement is impressive, cripes Leon didn't even get many touches tonight and still deadly. So many weapons & creative possibilities.

You've got Vegas coming up and they're down 2 of their game breakers. I'm changing my prediction.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793340 is a reply to message #793324 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I can remember coming on here in July and raving about Warren Fogele and how her was the perfect add and worth the cost of the future norris trophy candidate Ethan Bear. Are we all recovered from being butt hurt over that trade yet?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793341 is a reply to message #793340 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Koskinen was great. I hope this is a sign that he has his game back.

Foegele I am becoming a big fan of. The guy can FLY and he is just relentless every shift.

Kassian another good game. It's early but maybe the old Kassian is back.

In general, I am loving having a 3rd line. 3 legit good players on it that have speed, physical play, not disasters in their own zone. A center that wings draws, bonus that he is right handed and they score. Every guy has a goal with 4 goals total. I don't think you can ask for anything more from a 3rd line.

Keith - Ceci I thought was solid again. I don't care if they are spectacular, just be solid.

I thought this was Nuge's best game. Got moved to the wing, gee wonder if its just a coincidence.

Hyman I just love the guy. I just can't figure out why the hell the Leafs let him go. He's just a flat out good player.

Yamo play last night? He's short so I guess it's easy to miss place him because I haven't seen that guy in like 5-6 months. If someone finds him, let him know the Oilers are playing again and it's time to show up.

I thought JP was kind of quiet which makes me worry in that having Hyman AND JP on the same line I don't think is a good idea because in my opinion they do similar things.

I think part of Yamo's problem is having him and Nuge on the same line is not a good idea because they are both undersized, Yamo being really small, neither of them are a net front, clean up the rebounds guys, neither of them are hard in the corners, Yamo being the better of them but at his size, it's hard and none of them are assertive players.

So I would make the following lines:
Hyman - McD - Yam
Nuge - Leon - JP

Each line has 2 assertive players and 1 more passive guy. So Hyman and McD & Leon and JP as assertive.
Each line would have a good net front guy that can tip, get rebounds, get pucks out of the corners and bring some size to the line.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793343 is a reply to message #793341 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilock91  is currently offline Oilock91

No Cups

Anybody else see Jason Chimera when watching Foegele play? Big and fast but obviously has more skill then Chimera methinks and could pot 20. People can say what they want about trading Bear but I really think the Oilers have won this trade already. Our defence is a wash in comparison to last year, no better no worse at this point, but the real difference is that 3rd line. If the 4th line continues to do their job and pot a goal every other game or 3 games this team can be real dangerous. Somehow upgrade goaltending by the deadline and this is a final four team. BOOK IT

Happy to finally pop my Oilfans posting cherry lol

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793353 is a reply to message #793343 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oilock91 wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 11:02

Anybody else see Jason Chimera when watching Foegele play? Big and fast but obviously has more skill then Chimera methinks and could pot 20. People can say what they want about trading Bear but I really think the Oilers have won this trade already. Our defence is a wash in comparison to last year, no better no worse at this point, but the real difference is that 3rd line. If the 4th line continues to do their job and pot a goal every other game or 3 games this team can be real dangerous. Somehow upgrade goaltending by the deadline and this is a final four team. BOOK IT

If Foegele puts a few more like that away the complaints will die down. Doesn't mean it wasn't an ovepay, it'll just hurt less.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793354 is a reply to message #793343 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Oilock91 wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 10:02

I wish I could share the optimism.

Oilers are the 2nd worse team in shots per game against with 37.3!! It’s especially not a good look when we we haven’t even played a playoff team of last year yet.

Nothing much seems different about this team to me. The PP is number one again. McDavid is off to his hottest start. Special teams and superstars are once again carrying the load. Our even strength goal differential is 0, I have to imagine that gets worse when we start playing better teams. I want to be optimistic about a 4-0 start but I think there are signs.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793355 is a reply to message #793354 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 16:17

Oilers are the 2nd worse team in shots per game against with 37.3!! It’s especially not a good look when we we haven’t even played a playoff team of last year yet.

Nothing much seems different about this team to me. The PP is number one again. McDavid is off to his hottest start. Special teams and superstars are once again carrying the load. Our even strength goal differential is 0, I have to imagine that gets worse when we start playing better teams. I want to be optimistic about a 4-0 start but I think there are signs.

Question. Do those shots stats differentiate between where the shots are coming from? I don't know the answer which is why I am asking.

Maybe you think differently but I am totally fine if a team lets the opposition take all the long range, unscreened, extremely low risk of scoring shots they want but don't give up a ton of high percentage chances. So far I have seen the Oilers play a bunch of teams who's mantra is to when in doubt, throw it on net. So as long as the Oilers can do a decent job keeping the teams to the outside and limiting the higher percentage chances, I don't see the amount of shots as an issue. I do think that the Oilers need to tighten up a little defensively and I am confident they will but I don't think this Oilers team as long as they have players like McD, Leon, Nuge, are ever going to be a team who's goal is to never allow a shot.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793356 is a reply to message #793355 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 19:49

Question. Do those shots stats differentiate between where the shots are coming from? I don't know the answer which is why I am asking.

Maybe you think differently but I am totally fine if a team lets the opposition take all the long range, unscreened, extremely low risk of scoring shots they want but don't give up a ton of high percentage chances. So far I have seen the Oilers play a bunch of teams who's mantra is to when in doubt, throw it on net. So as long as the Oilers can do a decent job keeping the teams to the outside and limiting the higher percentage chances, I don't see the amount of shots as an issue. I do think that the Oilers need to tighten up a little defensively and I am confident they will but I don't think this Oilers team as long as they have players like McD, Leon, Nuge, are ever going to be a team who's goal is to never allow a shot.

Yeah, a BUNCH of the Flames shots were low danger from the outside.
I'm sure everyone remembers (though probably wish they don't) Eakins' "win the corsi, shoot from anywhere" approach. We had better corsi stats than most of the teams we played against when he was coaching. How'd that work out for us again?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793357 is a reply to message #793355 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 15:49

Shot quality matters, but outshooting your opponents is a pretty good indicator of being a top team. Last year, the top 8 teams all averaged more shots per game than shots against. Minnesota at 9th was the highest ranked team who was outshot. The year before that, the top 9 teams outshot their opponent. The 10th ranked Dallas Stars did not.

I’d much rather be with in the group with Colorado and Tampa Bay than Minnesota and Dallas.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793359 is a reply to message #793357 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 17:58

Shot quality matters, but outshooting your opponents is a pretty good indicator of being a top team. Last year, the top 8 teams all averaged more shots per game than shots against. Minnesota at 9th was the highest ranked team who was outshot. The year before that, the top 9 teams outshot their opponent. The 10th ranked Dallas Stars did not.

I’d much rather be with in the group with Colorado and Tampa Bay than Minnesota and Dallas.

Outshoot your opponent and you’ll win. Is that you Dallas Eakins?

I do agree that this team needs to get better in all aspects of the defensive side, but that’s a Tipp specialty. If there is one thing he can do, it can coach defensive systems. I think they will work out the kinks, but I’m expecting a losing streak first.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793360 is a reply to message #793359 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 18:16

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 17:58

I do agree that this team needs to get better in all aspects of the defensive side, but that’s a Tipp specialty. If there is one thing he can do, it can coach defensive systems. I think they will work out the kinks, but I’m expecting a losing streak first.

Did you even need to outshoot? :) Think you just needed to attempt more shots to win

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793425 is a reply to message #793359 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 23:15 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 17:16

Yeah, a BUNCH of the Flames shots were low danger from the outside.
I'm sure everyone remembers (though probably wish they don't) Eakins' "win the corsi, shoot from anywhere" approach. We had better corsi stats than most of the teams we played against when he was coaching. How'd that work out for us again?

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 18:16

You guys are making the same mistake as Eakins, but in reverse. Eakins thought that since there was a correlation between shots and goals, that therefore more shots from anywhere would equal more goals. That was flawed, clearly.

But the correlation DOES exist. While trying to game the system to pump shot counts isn't going to work, having possession and getting the puck on the other teams net more than they're getting it on yours is going to have a positive correlation to goal differential. If they're getting outshot badly every night, it likely will catch up to them at some point. Again tonight, 39 shots against, which speaks to our week defence. That goaltending is better than expected, but both of these goalies have had hot runs before. I think it would be a huge mistake to watch them have a little hot streak and decide from that that the goaltending woes are all behind us - especially if Koskinen plays a lot due to the injury to Smith.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793358 is a reply to message #793341 ]
Fri, 22 October 2021 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 22 October 2021 08:35

Kassian another good game. It's early but maybe the old Kassian is back.

Might be the line mates inspiring him. When 2 forwards are moving their feet and creating havoc, it would be hard to be a passenger.

Still think this team needs to get much better, but complaining about victories is a welcome change.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2021 18:16]

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #5)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca