This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793053]
Sat, 16 October 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Calgary to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793058 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sat, 16 October 2021 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

B. E. A. Utiful

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793059 is a reply to message #793058 ]
Sat, 16 October 2021 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

That was a great game to watch. Tons of emotion and great looking goals, most of them for us.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793061 is a reply to message #793059 ]
Sat, 16 October 2021 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

The game calmed down after the first, don't like the idea of allowing teams tons of shots on our goal, but as long as we win it makes me happy and even happier if it's a win against the Flames.

Jesse possibly put in his best performance for the team tonight. That snipe was lethal, and killed the game off.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793060 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sat, 16 October 2021 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Nice to come out of the first couple games with four points against divisional rivals, even though I don’t think the team has played particularly well in either. Lots to clean up, but still winning is good.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793063 is a reply to message #793060 ]
Sat, 16 October 2021 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 16 October 2021 23:01

Nice to come out of the first couple games with four points against divisional rivals, even though I don’t think the team has played particularly well in either. Lots to clean up, but still winning is good.

Lots to clean up in their own zone for sure, too many open lanes to the net has caught my eye.

Big win. Only 3 more BOA's this year I think I heard with 8 team division.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793065 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sat, 16 October 2021 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Ok, heading over to CalgaryPuck to watch the carnage.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793067 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Happy with Ceci, Keith.. Great play by Ceci to jump up into th eplay, carry teh puck an dfeed JP for the break away.. perfect timing.. Keith cratered T. Lewis near the end of the game.. the guy can pick his spots.. he's nasty business when he needs to. icon_nod

Barrie was an adventure a few shifts.. his guy on the Mangiapane SH breakaway on the PP. Also, his pass back behind to McD rushing up at center ice on the PP, was intercepted easily because he telegraphs it so blatantly.. everyone in the building knows what you're going to do.. at least look back to make sure McD is where you think he'll be.. becoming an ineffective and predictable play.. time to modify or disguise it..

Smith was aces, his puck handling was on full display, great advantage for the D-men..

LD hasn't gotten on track 5v5 with McD yet this season, he's off, feet aren't moving, too many cute passes for apple turnovers.

Hyman is awesome. Can't wait to see him up with McD and JP, he's a driver.

Foegle was awesome all night. Great pick up. He'll get points, but conversion rate will not be at the high scale :)

McLeod still not finishing checks.

D. Ryan played well, again. Great addition.

Bouchard is starting to feel it.. he looks like he's processing the game at a higher speed now.. adjustment coming along..

Kassian had a good game.. up and down his wing.. getting pucks out.. finished checks, didn't get sucked into penalties (one offsetting)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793080 is a reply to message #793067 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 03:04

Happy with Ceci, Keith.. Great play by Ceci to jump up into th eplay, carry teh puck an dfeed JP for the break away.. perfect timing.. Keith cratered T. Lewis near the end of the game.. the guy can pick his spots.. he's nasty business when he needs to. icon_nod

Barrie was an adventure a few shifts.. his guy on the Mangiapane SH breakaway on the PP. Also, his pass back behind to McD rushing up at center ice on the PP, was intercepted easily because he telegraphs it so blatantly.. everyone in the building knows what you're going to do.. at least look back to make sure McD is where you think he'll be.. becoming an ineffective and predictable play.. time to modify or disguise it..

Smith was aces, his puck handling was on full display, great advantage for the D-men..

LD hasn't gotten on track 5v5 with McD yet this season, he's off, feet aren't moving, too many cute passes for apple turnovers.

Hyman is awesome. Can't wait to see him up with McD and JP, he's a driver.

Foegle was awesome all night. Great pick up. He'll get points, but conversion rate will not be at the high scale :)

McLeod still not finishing checks.

D. Ryan played well, again. Great addition.

Bouchard is starting to feel it.. he looks like he's processing the game at a higher speed now.. adjustment coming along..

Kassian had a good game.. up and down his wing.. getting pucks out.. finished checks, didn't get sucked into penalties (one offsetting)

Starting to see the fruits of Holland's slow but methodical approach to managing. Sometimes you don't need a big swing at bat, sometimes you just need to take a safe bunt (Keith, Ceci) to improve your situation.

But I'm incredibly impressed with Hyman. The guy is full throttle every shift, he's exactly what this team needed to compliment all the speed and skill.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793070 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

How perfect a player for the Flames is Zadorov? Just this total trash bag player. Sucks at hockey, just running around all night looking for late cheap hits. Dude was born to be a Lame.

Aside from the lull again with a lead, really fun game to watch.

Feel like our bottom 6 has been more noticeable than we're used to. Ryan and Foegele making some plays out there and doing positive things. Not typical for the OIlers bottom 6. Pulju looks amazing out there. Would have been so painful watching him play like this for the Canes with Aho (along with Ethan Bear too who seems to be playing 1st pair for them, lol).

Bouch is really impressing me out there so far. Hope he keeps that up, and 4K seemed like a better partner. I dunno...I could honestly seem him ending up taking the spot with Nurse if he keeps improving.

Can't complain about Keith/Ceci. They're holding up so far. Keith very much looks like a grizzled vet with how he plays. Love that sneaky hit near the end for a little revenge.

And Smith still out there battling like the age defying Smith of last year.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793071 is a reply to message #793070 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Loving JP. Not loving the price of his next contract.

And again - love that the loaded top line produces, but just through 2 games, out of 7 goals, only 1 that that was not from the top line or PP. I’d like to say it’s just a small sample size, but I would expect the ratios to pretty much stay the same should deployments remain unchanged. It’s fine when the big boys are going, but if they’re not feeling it or just get shut down, then what?

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793072 is a reply to message #793071 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 11:22

And again - love that the loaded top line produces, but just through 2 games, out of 7 goals, only 1 that that was not from the top line or PP. I’d like to say it’s just a small sample size, but I would expect the ratios to pretty much stay the same should deployments remain unchanged. It’s fine when the big boys are going, but if they’re not feeling it or just get shut down, then what?

I hope we're trying to extend him right now. Guess it would make sense for him to hold off committing to anything until more of the season plays out though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793075 is a reply to message #793072 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 14:41

Mike wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 11:22

I hope we're trying to extend him right now. Guess it would make sense for him to hold off committing to anything until more of the season plays out though.

Yeah, if I’m his agent and see him playing with 97 and occasional PP time - Hell no we’re not signing anything right now, unless you back up the Brinks truck.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793076 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pretender #1 gets a 5k fine for his headbutt on Yams.

NHL Player Safety @NHLPlayerSafety

Calgary’s Rasmus Andersson has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for Roughing Edmonton’s Kailer Yamamoto.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793077 is a reply to message #793076 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 13:33

Calgary’s Rasmus Andersson has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for Roughing Edmonton’s Kailer Yamamoto.

What a joke. We all knew DoPS is an absolute clown show but a clear headbutt warrants just a fine? Yes. He has his hand between his head and Yam’s face but clearly drive his head into him. Absolutely joke.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793078 is a reply to message #793077 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 13:44

What a joke. We all knew DoPS is an absolute clown show but a clear headbutt warrants just a fine? Yes. He has his hand between his head and Yam’s face but clearly drive his head into him. Absolutely joke.

I didn't know until I saw this one direct Rasmus got Yams

https://i.imgur.com/dp1dEgE.gif

Agree, that's a joke penalty.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793081 is a reply to message #793078 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 12:56

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 13:44

I didn't know until I saw this one direct Rasmus got Yams

https://i.imgur.com/dp1dEgE.gif

Agree, that's a joke penalty.

Yeah that was direct forehead to face, the punch to the head was an add-on.
Anderson is a spineless puke. Only has had 4 scraps according to Hockeyfights.. I can see why he's so reluctant to fight.

Anderson getting filled by Schenn
https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n259711
Anderson getting filled by McCann
https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n258114
Andersson getting filled by McKenzie
https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/139460

And the best.. forgot about this one.. Nurse pounds him down.
https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/129615

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793084 is a reply to message #793081 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Really impressed with Hyman so far. Guy is just relentless on the forecheck. I paid close attention to Keith last night too and thought he played a VERY solid game. Still not sold on Ceci, especially as 2RD, and Barrie has looked shaky at best so far. Thankfully Bouchard has looked great, and I can see him as 1RD before too long.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793086 is a reply to message #793084 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 15:49

Really impressed with Hyman so far. Guy is just relentless on the forecheck. I paid close attention to Keith last night too and thought he played a VERY solid game. Still not sold on Ceci, especially as 2RD, and Barrie has looked shaky at best so far. Thankfully Bouchard has looked great, and I can see him as 1RD before too long.

Hyman on the forecheck..

https://media4.giphy.com/media/9IRX12VhoXoR2/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47wuy37t9msiprbwhnuzcyxjmt5zqmc02uty7i3t2m&rid=200w.webp&ct=g

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793087 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
4 Major Sports, Most Consecutive Losses in Season Openers – All-Time

Cleveland Browns 13 2005-2017
Memphis Grizzlies 13 2001-2013
Calgary Flames 12 2010-ACTIVE
Oakland Athletics 10 2005-2014

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793089 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Drove up from Calgary to see the same crappy Flames fans do their typical bs antics on the road. One Oilers fan took out 5 flames fans in the bathroom behind me in sec 219 DRL, it was boiling over the entire game in another section and these guys followed him into the bathroom and shoved his head into the urinal. He ended up leaving all 5 of them bloody, my friend witnessed the entire thing. These guys were like total Calgary preppy boys, khakis and jerseys. I even said to the lady beside me who initially just saw the bloody 5 flames fans and felt sorry for them that β€œTrust me, they started it…” and then everyone in the bathroom at the time and my friend said it was one on 5 everyone started laughing. McDavid’s hat trick goal then happened.

As I was walking out there were flames fans in the lobby trying to poke everyone , there were LOTS of them trying to start shyte. A lot more than even the BOA’s here. I think the fact you get TORCHED by Connie every single time it’s like β€œgive uppp and fight!”

I know I know, every fan base has its bad few but I disagree. Ever since 2004 the fans here have been so terrible, I’ve been in altercations at the Dome and my brothers got jumped. They are the oddest fan base.

All in all, 9/10 game .

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793090 is a reply to message #793089 ]
Sun, 17 October 2021 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 19:37

Drove up from Calgary to see the same crappy Flames fans do their typical bs antics on the road. One Oilers fan took out 5 flames fans in the bathroom behind me in sec 219 DRL, it was boiling over the entire game in another section and these guys followed him into the bathroom and shoved his head into the urinal. He ended up leaving all 5 of them bloody, my friend witnessed the entire thing. These guys were like total Calgary preppy boys, khakis and jerseys. I even said to the lady beside me who initially just saw the bloody 5 flames fans and felt sorry for them that β€œTrust me, they started it…” and then everyone in the bathroom at the time and my friend said it was one on 5 everyone started laughing. McDavid’s hat trick goal then happened.

As I was walking out there were flames fans in the lobby trying to poke everyone , there were LOTS of them trying to start shyte. A lot more than even the BOA’s here. I think the fact you get TORCHED by Connie every single time it’s like β€œgive uppp and fight!”

I know I know, every fan base has its bad few but I disagree. Ever since 2004 the fans here have been so terrible, I’ve been in altercations at the Dome and my brothers got jumped. They are the oddest fan base.

All in all, 9/10 game .

That's brutal, but also awesome that all those Lames fans got taken down. THe heck kinda hobo security operation we running in our arena?

VisuallyBetter @Isuckatpicking

Now this is an #NHL22 cover I can really get behind. @aspen_tree_

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FB8Uyl-VIAAJ_mH?format=jpg&name=900x900

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793092 is a reply to message #793090 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2021 23:33

VisuallyBetter @Isuckatpicking

Now this is an #NHL22 cover I can really get behind. @aspen_tree_

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FB8Uyl-VIAAJ_mH?format=jpg&name=900x900

Hahahah yaaaaas!
Wave Towel

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793095 is a reply to message #793092 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Another great game but Smith. He looks dialed in. After listening to Koskinen and the struggles he had last season mentally plus it being a contract year, I fully expect him to bounce back and be decent. His family is here too. Then you factor in Smith who I don't expect him to put up numbers like he did last year but I could see him being decent. The Oilers goaltending might be OK.

2 games in but I am loving how Keith and Ceci are making people eat their words. I thought they would be OK as a second pairing especially Keith. I hope it continues and if it does, I will be curious to see if anyone in here will go back on their statements. I doubt it.

Bouchard looks like the deal deal. I've been a fan of his since they drafted him but he's been better tha I expected so far. 2 games in so I get that but so far so good.

JP is a monster. I happily am glad to be wrong about him.

Hyman just keeps impressing me. Just under 20 mins. Plays on the PP, PK, flies around the ice, he is faster than I thought, forechecks hard, goes to the net, can drive a line. As if that isn't enough, he was 75% of faceoffs too. I am trying to figure out why the Leafs let this guy go as so far he's been everything he was advertised to be and more in my opinion. Exactly what the Oilers needed which was another difference making top 6 guy.

Ryan has been very good. Good on the PK, chips in a goal. 67% on faceoffs. Solid defensively. Brings some speed and offense.

Foegele was good again last night. Great on the forecheck. Brings offense to the bottom 6, lots of speed, lots tenacity, some physical play. I think he will be a valuable, versatile top 9 forward that was badly needed by the Oilers. I fully expect that any time Bear does anything remotely decent, some Oilers bloggers will bring it up and moan about it but I think the trade had to happen.

Kassian looked good. The 3rd line has the makings to be pretty good.

Nurse has been excellent.

Barrie has had the yips. I expect he will smooth it out.

McLeod isn't ready, needs more development time. Shore can't come back fast enough.

Nuge and Yam has just been meh. Pretty good the first game, quiet this past one. I still don't think Nuge is a second line center and think the Oilers are better when McD and Leon are split up.

I am loving that the Oilers are 2-0 with Leon just being meh so far.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793103 is a reply to message #793095 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 08:32

2 games in but I am loving how Keith and Ceci are making people eat their words. I thought they would be OK as a second pairing especially Keith. I hope it continues and if it does, I will be curious to see if anyone in here will go back on their statements. I doubt it.

Two things:

1) I still think Keith/Ceci aren't good. Ceci made a good pass to Puljujarvi on his goal, but most of his attempts have been awful. He isn't a good puck mover. Keith has watched the other team score in each of the first two games. I don't think they've done well on advanced stats, although to be fair to them, no one on the team has done that well in two games where we won, but were outplayed. I do not think that a defence corps with Duncan Keith and Cody Ceci should try to sit on leads...

2) There was never a Bouchard OR Bear choice. The choice was Bear or Ceci, and the Oilers made the wrong pick. Bear has looked good on the first pairing in Carolina with Slavvin and he would have been better able to cover for the failings of Duncan Keith.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793107 is a reply to message #793103 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 11:30

Two things:

1) I still think Keith/Ceci aren't good. Ceci made a good pass to Puljujarvi on his goal, but most of his attempts have been awful. He isn't a good puck mover. Keith has watched the other team score in each of the first two games. I don't think they've done well on advanced stats, although to be fair to them, no one on the team has done that well in two games where we won, but were outplayed. I do not think that a defence corps with Duncan Keith and Cody Ceci should try to sit on leads...

2) There was never a Bouchard OR Bear choice. The choice was Bear or Ceci, and the Oilers made the wrong pick. Bear has looked good on the first pairing in Carolina with Slavvin and he would have been better able to cover for the failings of Duncan Keith.

I don't expect you to agree with me what so ever. You decided as soon as the rumors of Keith came out that he was crap. You decided that as soon as the contract was announced that Ceci was crap and there is nothing they can do that will change your mind. They could both get norris votes and you'd find fault in them.

In my opinion, you are about individual stats and how they look on a sheet. I am about the team winning. I don't give a damn what some sheet says, all I care about is the team winning and are they contributing to them winning. Which they are.

I fully expect some bloggers and fans whining about Bear every chance they get as if he is a future norris candidate. I didn't have an issue with Bear but I did not think as a team they would win with him in the top 4 and am skeptical if he is a top 4 guy at all and still do. I felt a trade needed to happen and I feel they got a very good piece back for them that makes them a much better team. I hope Bear does well in Carolina but the fact he is doing well on the Canes when he is playing with Slavin who gets norris votes doesn't impress me that much. I look at their defense and who plays the right side.
Cole is a left shot who can play both sides but is a 3rd pairing guy.
Pesce is their best right shot but if you have both Slavin and Pesce on 1 pair, it makes for a pretty thin rest of the defense.
Smith supposed plays both sides but it a left shot and a 3rd pairing guy.
DeAngelo, no chance I would play him about the 3rd pairing.

So when I look at the Canes, I don't know who else would play above Bear so they put him with their norris vote getting dman and for a couple of games so far, it worked out. Good for him.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793109 is a reply to message #793107 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 12:15

Two things:

I don't expect you to agree with me what so ever. You decided as soon as the rumors of Keith came out that he was crap. You decided that as soon as the contract was announced that Ceci was crap and there is nothing they can do that will change your mind. They could both get norris votes and you'd find fault in them.

In my opinion, you are about individual stats and how they look on a sheet. I am about the team winning. I don't give a damn what some sheet says, all I care about is the team winning and are they contributing to them winning. Which they are.

I fully expect some bloggers and fans whining about Bear every chance they get as if he is a future norris candidate. I didn't have an issue with Bear but I did not think as a team they would win with him in the top 4 and am skeptical if he is a top 4 guy at all and still do. I felt a trade needed to happen and I feel they got a very good piece back for them that makes them a much better team. I hope Bear does well in Carolina but the fact he is doing well on the Canes when he is playing with Slavin who gets norris votes doesn't impress me that much. I look at their defense and who plays the right side.
Pesce is their best right shot but if you have both Slavin and Pesce on 1 pair, it makes for a pretty thin rest of the defense.

So when I look at the Canes, I don't know who else would play above Bear so they put him with their norris vote getting dman and for a couple of games so far, it worked out. Good for him.

Just pointing out that you're saying others have their mind made up, but already have a built-in reason why Bear playing on the first pairing in Carolina doesn't count.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793114 is a reply to message #793109 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 12:23

Two things:

Just pointing out that you're saying others have their mind made up, but already have a built-in reason why Bear playing on the first pairing in Carolina doesn't count.

I am completely happy for Bear and wish him well but I keep seeing people bring up "he's in the first pair" then I look at the roster and I wonder who else would play in front of him. So it's great that he is there but I don't see any can't miss amazing dmen he beat out for the job.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793123 is a reply to message #793114 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 13:16

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 12:23

Two things:

I am completely happy for Bear and wish him well but I keep seeing people bring up "he's in the first pair" then I look at the roster and I wonder who else would play in front of him. So it's great that he is there but I don't see any can't miss amazing dmen he beat out for the job.

That seems very close to "the oilers won, Ceci and Keith were on the team, so that means they played well" Or "Koskinen will bounce back because his family is here and on a contract year".

For the record, I don't think our 2nd pair has been terrible but they have not been good, I give them a solid C after two games. Outside of Nurse and Bouchard I don't think of the D have been better than average.

The team has had ok play in the first two, overall, but they still have a lot of problems to work on .
They can't allow so many shots and good scoring chances and hope goaltending can save them every game.
WAY too many turnovers in all three zones.
Too many unnecessary penalties.

On the positive side;
Bouchard is coming along quickly. Coach is trusting him to play with Nurse in key situations. I expect in the last 30 games he will be top 3, maybe top 2 in 5V5 minutes played.
JP is a full grown man and playing like it.
Nurse is good and improving
Smith has been amazing.
PP is still great.
Hyman has been as advertised, energizes the whole team pretty much every shift.

2 games is a small sample but "they are who we thought they were" to quote a famous NFL moment.
Good offensively, defense that needs goalie help to not be a tire fire half the time and good special teams.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793096 is a reply to message #793053 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Only 2 games in but so far the Must man, Mr Oscargasm, has been right about Keith-Ceci πŸ˜‰

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793099 is a reply to message #793096 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 09:37

Only 2 games in but so far the Must man, Mr Oscargasm, has been right about Keith-Ceci πŸ˜‰

I was in agreement with you about Keith & Ceci. I also felt the Oilers defense was better than last year.

The Oilers with their defense was a good team last year. They didn't lose to the Jets because of defense, they lost because Helleybuck played out of his mind and they didn't have any depth scoring.

Keith is an upgrade over anyone they had as their second pairing left shot dman all year.

Ceci - I wasn't 100% sure compared to Larsson as they are different types of dmen but if the league keeps going with the you can't drill a guy in the back like they are supposed too, the effectiveness of Larsson drops off. I also thought with Ceci's better puck moving, more offense and better skating, there was the potential for at worse Ceci- for Larsson was a saw off but could be better.

I see Bouchard as a BIG upgrade over Bear. I had no issue with Bear, I could see him as a solid NHL dman for a lot of years. Not sure if he is a long term top 4 guy, we shall seen. But I think Bouchard moves better, moves the puck better, has more offense than Bear, is better defensively and is bigger which IMO size does matter when you are a dman.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793130 is a reply to message #793099 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 09:50

I was in agreement with you about Keith & Ceci. I also felt the Oilers defense was better than last year.

The Oilers with their defense was a good team last year. They didn't lose to the Jets because of defense, they lost because Helleybuck played out of his mind and they didn't have any depth scoring.

Keith is an upgrade over anyone they had as their second pairing left shot dman all year.

Ceci - I wasn't 100% sure compared to Larsson as they are different types of dmen but if the league keeps going with the you can't drill a guy in the back like they are supposed too, the effectiveness of Larsson drops off. I also thought with Ceci's better puck moving, more offense and better skating, there was the potential for at worse Ceci- for Larsson was a saw off but could be better.

I see Bouchard as a BIG upgrade over Bear. I had no issue with Bear, I could see him as a solid NHL dman for a lot of years. Not sure if he is a long term top 4 guy, we shall seen. But I think Bouchard moves better, moves the puck better, has more offense than Bear, is better defensively and is bigger which IMO size does matter when you are a dman.

Bear was much more mobile. Bouchard should be the better dman with potentially elite offence, but Bear is going to be a long term top 4 guy. He’s currently getting that ice on a deep Hurricanes blue line roster.

So far I love Foegele up front. If Bouchard keeps trending up, this is probably a good deal for Oil, at this point in their window of opportunity.

Or so I tell myself.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793134 is a reply to message #793130 ]
Tue, 19 October 2021 08:53 Go to previous message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 22:58

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 09:50

Bear was much more mobile. Bouchard should be the better dman with potentially elite offence, but Bear is going to be a long term top 4 guy. He’s currently getting that ice on a deep Hurricanes blue line roster.

So far I love Foegele up front. If Bouchard keeps trending up, this is probably a good deal for Oil, at this point in their window of opportunity.

Or so I tell myself.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Canes defense but you say Bear is playing minutes over a deep Canes blue line. Let me know if you think my assessment is off for any of these guys and I am just looking at just the 7 listed on capfriendly. I am also assuming that since Bear is right handed, you think he should be on the right.

Left side:
Slavin - Top pairing guy. Canes best dman.
Skjei - Decent second pairing guy.
Cole - Vet 3rd pairing dman. It says he can play the right side but shoots left. Looks like their version of a bigger Russell.
Smith - Depth dman. They even have him listed as a winger from time to time.

Right side:
Pesce - Good, top 4 right shot dman. The Canes second best dman.
DeAngelo - Young, offensive dman with defensive issues. Has attitude problems which is why the Rangers bought him out. Probably best suited as a 3rd pairing, PP specialist. Needs to be sheltered defensively if he is moved up.
Bear - Undersized dman that does lots of things alright.

So those are the 7 dmen listed on the Canes site. I would assume the coach doesn't want to load up 1 defense pairing with Slavin and Pesce, he prefers to spread out his 2 best dmen. With Slavin who gets norris votes, he's good enough defensively he can elevate his partner.

So Bear beat out DeAngelo assuming you don't expect one of their 3rd pairing left shots to switch sides. I am happy for the guy, I don't mean to come off negative but people are making it almost sound like Bear beat out dman on par with some of the elite dmen in the league. He beat out DeAngelo who is probably in the mold of a Barrie but far, far worse defensively.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #793100 is a reply to message #793096 ]
Mon, 18 October 2021 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 08:37

πŸ‘πŸ» icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Next Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca