This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2021 Training Camp threadPages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792752 is a reply to message #792746 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I listened to Stauffer interview Babcock last week and he talked about how in Detroit, they used to load up Datsyuk and Zetterberg when they played at home due to match ups to overwhelm the other teams. Personally, I am not a fan of having McD and Leon together. I know it's a match up nightmare for teams, I love how amazing they are together but I just think the team is more balanced with them apart.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792762 is a reply to message #792752 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 08:39

I listened to Stauffer interview Babcock last week and he talked about how in Detroit, they used to load up Datsyuk and Zetterberg when they played at home due to match ups to overwhelm the other teams. Personally, I am not a fan of having McD and Leon together. I know it's a match up nightmare for teams, I love how amazing they are together but I just think the team is more balanced with them apart.

I really hope this is a head fake from Tippett. The numbers have shown that McDavid & Draisaitl are better apart at even strength. This is because teams don't fear any other lines and can just focus on trying to do anything they can to slow down our one line if we stack it. Both those guys don't need the other to generate offence, so if they're split up, it makes it really tough to defend. Basically means you have two first lines and the other team can decide which of them gets their best defenders, because they can't be out against both. It also means that rather than one dangerous line for about 30% of the even strength time, you have two dangerous lines out on the ice for 60+% of the time.

I think Tippett SHOULD play them together in special situations - first shift after a opposing powerplay, icing call against tired opposing players, maybe late in a game trailing by a goal. We should not default to playing them together again though. And it's not like Hyman didn't look just fine with McDavid and Puljujarvi in the pre-season.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792763 is a reply to message #792762 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 10:25

I really hope this is a head fake from Tippett. The numbers have shown that McDavid & Draisaitl are better apart at even strength. This is because teams don't fear any other lines and can just focus on trying to do anything they can to slow down our one line if we stack it. Both those guys don't need the other to generate offence, so if they're split up, it makes it really tough to defend. Basically means you have two first lines and the other team can decide which of them gets their best defenders, because they can't be out against both. It also means that rather than one dangerous line for about 30% of the even strength time, you have two dangerous lines out on the ice for 60+% of the time.

I think Tippett SHOULD play them together in special situations - first shift after a opposing powerplay, icing call against tired opposing players, maybe late in a game trailing by a goal. We should not default to playing them together again though. And it's not like Hyman didn't look just fine with McDavid and Puljujarvi in the pre-season.

I keep hoping Tip is just mixing things up to put opponents off guard, but things eventually just end up with McDrai together forever, unless Tippett is desperate. I guess he did start the playoffs with McDrai on their own lines in the playoffs, but quickly went back to the loaded top line when it didn't immediately work (although that 1 game he did it was our best of the series in terms of share of chances).

Still waiting on Tippett to show a little creativity here. Not giving him the benefit of the doubt anymore that he's doing something special.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792767 is a reply to message #792763 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 10:58

I keep hoping Tip is just mixing things up to put opponents off guard, but things eventually just end up with McDrai together forever, unless Tippett is desperate. I guess he did start the playoffs with McDrai on their own lines in the playoffs, but quickly went back to the loaded top line when it didn't immediately work (although that 1 game he did it was our best of the series in terms of share of chances).

Still waiting on Tippett to show a little creativity here. Not giving him the benefit of the doubt anymore that he's doing something special.

I dont agree with Connor and LD together when Nuge is centering the 2nd line, to me your 2nd best center should play center. It is debatable whether McLeod is even an NHL caliber center at this stage, so it makes even less sense .

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792764 is a reply to message #792762 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

What numbers are these?
I just listened to Gregor on Lowetide's show, both of whom do numbers and they went on and on about how insane their numbers are together. One of the numbers they mentioned was points per 60 and supposedly McD's points per 60 are over 5 with Leon. So you are telling me that McD's numbers without Leon are even better than that?

I am not advocating for them to play together. I have said all along I think they are a much more balanced team with them apart but I don't see how their numbers are better not playing together. That makes absolute zero sense and sounds completely made up in my opinion.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2021 11:00]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792766 is a reply to message #792764 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 12:59

What numbers are these?
I just listened to Gregor on Lowetide's show, both of whom do numbers and they went on and on about how insane their numbers are together. One of the numbers they mentioned was points per 60 and supposedly McD's points per 60 are over 5 with Leon. So you are telling me that McD's numbers without Leon are even better than that?

I am not advocating for them to play together. I have said all along I think they are a much more balanced team with them apart but I don't see how their numbers are better not playing together. That makes absolute zero sense and sounds completely made up in my opinion.

I am assuming Adam was meaning that the top two lines have better numbers/production when McDavid and Drai are on different lines than when they are both on the same line. I will allow Adam (or anyone else) correct me about that, but that is how I interpreted Adams comment about numbers.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792768 is a reply to message #792766 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Perkele wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 11:16

What numbers are these?

I am assuming Adam was meaning that the top two lines have better numbers/production when McDavid and Drai are on different lines than when they are both on the same line. I will allow Adam (or anyone else) correct me about that, but that is how I interpreted Adams comment about numbers.

Maybe he did but he felt the need to correct me even when in my comment, I specifically said I think they are a far more balanced team with them apart. So maybe he didn't.

Adam is the supreme expert on all things Oilers and hockey in general so if he didn't mean them split up, what he says is correct.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792769 is a reply to message #792768 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 11:23

What numbers are these?

Maybe he did but he felt the need to correct me even when in my comment, I specifically said I think they are a far more balanced team with them apart. So maybe he didn't.

Adam is the supreme expert on all things Oilers and hockey in general so if he didn't mean them split up, what he says is correct.

I believe Adam prefers the title "Expert Supreme" :)

I really wish I had more faith in Nuge as a C on an offensive line, but we just can't seem to get there. I don't think Hyman is going to change that much.

Going from being a team that can create offense for 18 minutes 5v5 to 35+ makes such a huge different so many different ways. I don't get why our coaches always just end up resting on their hands with a 1 line team. Maybe some had an excuse with terrible depth, but we paid out the nose to try to fix that now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792770 is a reply to message #792769 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 11:29

What numbers are these?

I believe Adam prefers the title "Expert Supreme" :)

I really wish I had more faith in Nuge as a C on an offensive line, but we just can't seem to get there. I don't think Hyman is going to change that much.

Going from being a team that can create offense for 18 minutes 5v5 to 35+ makes such a huge different so many different ways. I don't get why our coaches always just end up resting on their hands with a 1 line team. Maybe some had an excuse with terrible depth, but we paid out the nose to try to fix that now.

I agree with you on Nuge. I have been saying it even before he was resign. He's a mediocre at best as a top 6 center but much better as a top 6 winger. The addition of Hyman and hopefully Yamo will be able to have a better season so it helps when they put McD and Leon together because it will happen but like I said, I think they are better as a team when they are a part.

If they are going to put McD and Leon together, I would drop JP down to help boost that second line as he's become a force.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2021 11:54]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792780 is a reply to message #792768 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

What numbers are these?

I think one of the things you get wrong about this place, which puts you in a never-ending bad mood is that responding to your post doesn't mean I'm disagreeing with you or somehow putting you in your place. I actually agreed with a lot of your original point. You'll note, at no point did I address anything you asserted and say "you're wrong." It'll do wonders for you if you realize that not everything is a personal attack on you.

And I'm okay with being called Hockey Overlord if you must give me a title.

The WOWY numbers are out there. Look them up.

I also think that the comment from Perkele is correct as well - it's better for the team as a whole when we don't have a single line.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792755 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

I don't know if this has been remarked upon, but I just noticed that the Oilers' schedule to start the season is incredibly soft. Here are their first 11 opponents:

Vancouver
Calgary
Anaheim
Arizona
Vegas
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Seattle
Nashville
NY Rangers
Detroit

Vegas is the only tough challenge there. Nashville is the only other team that even made the playoffs (barely) last year.

A fast start should be expected.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792761 is a reply to message #792755 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The Rangers should be better this year (maybe) but there are some benefits to being in the worst division in sport.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792791 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Tue, 12 October 2021 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam and RDOF posts are always entertaining when they post separately, but when RDOF has his gears grinding due to Adam and they work together, it becomes spectacular.

Kr55 is a great complimentary poster, but he can rarely carry a thread by himself. No offence Kr55. You’re worth the 8 year extension.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792823 is a reply to message #792791 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 12 October 2021 18:27

Adam and RDOF posts are always entertaining when they post separately, but when RDOF has his gears grinding due to Adam and they work together, it becomes spectacular.

Kr55 is a great complimentary poster, but he can rarely carry a thread by himself. No offence Kr55. You’re worth the 8 year extension.

Echoing your sentiments about KR55 being worth the 8 year extension. Glad MJ has no salary cap issues here.

Didn't KR55 used to be Oogba who created the unique scoring system in the score prediction contest? If so,I'd say he has earned that extension and can carry threads on his own despite all the antics of the 'bot.

There used to be a poster on the old Hockey Boards that went by the name koreaboy who had the same posting style.

Jeez, I think I've spent more time in the last quarter century doodling around the
newsgroups and hockey related boards than I have actually spent watching hockey games; time well wasted, I hope.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792827 is a reply to message #792823 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 12:46

Echoing your sentiments about KR55 being worth the 8 year extension. Glad MJ has no salary cap issues here.

Didn't KR55 used to be Oogba who created the unique scoring system in the score prediction contest? If so,I'd say he has earned that extension and can carry threads on his own despite all the antics of the 'bot.

There used to be a poster on the old Hockey Boards that went by the name koreaboy who had the same posting style.

Jeez, I think I've spent more time in the last quarter century doodling around the
newsgroups and hockey related boards than I have actually spent watching hockey games; time well wasted, I hope.

Guys honestly have me pegged here. Never been interested in being the center of attention ;) All about the hit and runs while the Adam's and RDO's run wild, haha.

And yeah that was my old handle. I recall arguing with someone about how it should be valued more that someone picked the right team to win first (before deciding what the score would be) than just guessing a correct score backwards icon_lol

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792828 is a reply to message #792823 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 15:46

kr55 and g2k need to go back to their old names.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792869 is a reply to message #792828 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 13:21

I can barely hold my own beer anymore let alone carry a thread.

I’m now a GDT douche. There’s too many smart people here. And I’m not being facetious. The popcorn is good here too btw.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792886 is a reply to message #792869 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 19:53

Mike wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 13:21

I can barely hold my own beer anymore let alone carry a thread.

I’m now a GDT douche. There’s too many smart people here. And I’m not being facetious. The popcorn is good here too btw.

I love this site. I want to share it with other Oil fans, but I do not want to dilute the the talent. I’m the Kim Issel of OF and I’m okay with that. Whenever I need fanboy blind optimism I go to hfBoards.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792818 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PuckPedia @PuckPedia

Oct 10
W/ Turris & Lagesson waived, #Oilers can set LTIR pool (ability to exceed cap) tmrw by Broberg up. $4.159M over cap w/ Klefbom LTIR (w/in $8K of max LTIR)

Then add Stalock/Archibald to LTIR & increase pool to $6.44M.
W/ Broberg/Turris flipped, $2M Space

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792887 is a reply to message #792818 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 20:59 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 12:06

PuckPedia @PuckPedia

Oct 10
W/ Turris & Lagesson waived, #Oilers can set LTIR pool (ability to exceed cap) tmrw by Broberg up. $4.159M over cap w/ Klefbom LTIR (w/in $8K of max LTIR)

Then add Stalock/Archibald to LTIR & increase pool to $6.44M.
W/ Broberg/Turris flipped, $2M Space

So, in layman’s terms this means we have room to maneuver in-season and at the deadline. See ya 1st round pick this year and next years 2nd and 3rd. Hello rental goalie and reinforcement depth on the blue line.

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca