This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790967]
Sat, 07 August 2021 11:17 Go to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Just saw this while on ferry to Nanaimo

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790968 is a reply to message #790967 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Seems correct, 1yr/$750K. Played in Swiss last year. Drafted 12th overall in the Drai draft. Ok in Arizona, one good year in Chicago, awful year in Detroit leading into Covid.

LW on team deep in LW. Might be a tweeter, but might be a good bet for a turnaround.

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790969 is a reply to message #790968 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Didn't see this coming, but he could be a good player to have in the system if we need him and if he can return to some of the form he has shown previously.

Hands up here, his dad was one of my favourite players way back in the day when he played for the local team back in 1989/90.... I'm feeling a bit old to now have his son playing for my favourite team, though my favourtism for his dad won't tempt me to get a jersey with his name on just yet.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790977 is a reply to message #790967 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Scouting report from Bleacher report during draft year.. Good Read.. VERY POSITIVE signing IMO.
He's BIG, and can skate.. like the "wind" according to Bob Mac.. that's good enough for me!

BTW.. he's now listed at 6'-3" x 211 lbs, up from his draft year..

... I have to admit I first mistook him for Brandon PIRRI.. who I'm much less high on :)

Quote:

Player: Brendan Perlini

Drafted By: Arizona Coyotes (12th overall)

Position: LW

Final Central Scouting Ranking: No. 8 North American skater

Height/Weight: 6'2'', 205 lbs

DOB: April 27, 1996 (18 years old)

Most Recent Affiliation: OHL, Niagara IceDogs

Background

Brendon Perlini is a prototypical power forward with great hands and natural goal-scoring ability. He is already 6'2", 205 pounds and has the potential to get bigger before he arrives in the NHL. The biggest question most scouts have about Perlini is his work ethic and inconsistency.

During the regular season, Perlini got off to a hot start but finished with 34 goals and 71 points in 58 games. He failed to score in seven playoff games and added only one assist. In the World Juniors, Perlini scored three goals and totaled four points in seven games.

If Perlini becomes more consistent, he has the potential to be a great power forward.

Full Scouting Report

Playing against teenagers, Perlini was able to use his size to protect the puck and then utilize his skill to do something with it once he had it. The England native has natural goal-scoring ability and is capable of dominating a game for long stretches. Unfortunately, he has often been inconsistent and can seem invisible for long stretches of games.

One scout told The Hockey News in their Draft Preview issue about a game where Perlini scored both goals for Canada during a 2-1 win at the World Juniors. "He played about five minutes of what I would consider worthwhile hockey," the scout said. "But he was the single reason they won."

Perlini has a hard shot and skates very well for a big man. TSN's Bob McKenzie told the Vancouver Canucks' official website that Perlini was a "Big, strong winger that can shoot the puck and can skate like the wind."

Dan Marr of NHL Central Scouting added that Perlini "plays an unselfish game moving the puck around and he gets his stick on pucks and arrives on time for chances. He's a good shooter and has a good touch finishing chances."

Trent Klatt, a scout for the New York Islanders, said via Cory Wright of NHL.com:

"Perlini is a power forward that is a terrific skater.
He can shoot the puck in stride and plays really hard for a big man. He's more of a north/south player, but his speed causes major concerns for a defenseman in one-on-one situations. Perlini has good hockey sense, good hands and a very good shot. His skills make him an interesting choice."
If Perlini can be more consistent in his game, he should be a very strong power forward.

NHL Player Comparison

James Neal of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Perlini isn't as physical as Neal, but he has similar size and is creative and fast for a big man, like Neal is. Also like Neal, he is capable of scoring and setting up his teammates for quality scoring chances.

NHL Timetable

Power forwards usually take a bit longer to mature, but Perlini is already big. He may need some time to grow into his body and to improve his work ethic. He also needs to learn to play against men. In the NHL, he will not be the biggest and strongest player on the ice every game. Expect Perlini to reach the NHL in 2016-17.

Top-End Potential

If Perlini learns how to play hard on every shift of every game, he can be a 40-goal, 80-point player a few years after he reaches the NHL.

Perlini's skating speed creates problems for defenders, while his vision and heavy shot give him options once he gets the puck in the attacking zone. Perlini does need to learn to use his size to his advantage and play a more physical game every night. If he does, he should be a first-line power forward for years to come.

http://azrubberhockey.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Perlini2-628x419.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2021 15:55]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790981 is a reply to message #790977 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 15:31

Scouting report from Bleacher report during draft year.. Good Read.. VERY POSITIVE signing IMO.
He's BIG, and can skate.. like the "wind" according to Bob Mac.. that's good enough for me!

BTW.. he's now listed at 6'-3" x 211 lbs, up from his draft year..

... I have to admit I first mistook him for Brandon PIRRI.. who I'm much less high on :)

Quote:

Player: Brendan Perlini

Drafted By: Arizona Coyotes (12th overall)

Position: LW

Final Central Scouting Ranking: No. 8 North American skater

Height/Weight: 6'2'', 205 lbs

DOB: April 27, 1996 (18 years old)

Most Recent Affiliation: OHL, Niagara IceDogs

Background

Brendon Perlini is a prototypical power forward with great hands and natural goal-scoring ability. He is already 6'2", 205 pounds and has the potential to get bigger before he arrives in the NHL. The biggest question most scouts have about Perlini is his work ethic and inconsistency.

During the regular season, Perlini got off to a hot start but finished with 34 goals and 71 points in 58 games. He failed to score in seven playoff games and added only one assist. In the World Juniors, Perlini scored three goals and totaled four points in seven games.

If Perlini becomes more consistent, he has the potential to be a great power forward.

Full Scouting Report

Playing against teenagers, Perlini was able to use his size to protect the puck and then utilize his skill to do something with it once he had it. The England native has natural goal-scoring ability and is capable of dominating a game for long stretches. Unfortunately, he has often been inconsistent and can seem invisible for long stretches of games.

One scout told The Hockey News in their Draft Preview issue about a game where Perlini scored both goals for Canada during a 2-1 win at the World Juniors. "He played about five minutes of what I would consider worthwhile hockey," the scout said. "But he was the single reason they won."

Perlini has a hard shot and skates very well for a big man. TSN's Bob McKenzie told the Vancouver Canucks' official website that Perlini was a "Big, strong winger that can shoot the puck and can skate like the wind."

Dan Marr of NHL Central Scouting added that Perlini "plays an unselfish game moving the puck around and he gets his stick on pucks and arrives on time for chances. He's a good shooter and has a good touch finishing chances."

Trent Klatt, a scout for the New York Islanders, said via Cory Wright of NHL.com:

"Perlini is a power forward that is a terrific skater.
He can shoot the puck in stride and plays really hard for a big man. He's more of a north/south player, but his speed causes major concerns for a defenseman in one-on-one situations. Perlini has good hockey sense, good hands and a very good shot. His skills make him an interesting choice."
If Perlini can be more consistent in his game, he should be a very strong power forward.

NHL Player Comparison

James Neal of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Perlini isn't as physical as Neal, but he has similar size and is creative and fast for a big man, like Neal is. Also like Neal, he is capable of scoring and setting up his teammates for quality scoring chances.

NHL Timetable

Power forwards usually take a bit longer to mature, but Perlini is already big. He may need some time to grow into his body and to improve his work ethic. He also needs to learn to play against men. In the NHL, he will not be the biggest and strongest player on the ice every game. Expect Perlini to reach the NHL in 2016-17.

Top-End Potential

If Perlini learns how to play hard on every shift of every game, he can be a 40-goal, 80-point player a few years after he reaches the NHL.

Perlini's skating speed creates problems for defenders, while his vision and heavy shot give him options once he gets the puck in the attacking zone. Perlini does need to learn to use his size to his advantage and play a more physical game every night. If he does, he should be a first-line power forward for years to come.

http://azrubberhockey.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Perlini2-628x419.jpg

Old pre-draft scouting reports are hilarious to read. I wonder how many guys that year they figured had 80 point seasons in them?

Safe to say, that's no longer the hope for Brendan Perlini. If he can get a 30-point season again, that's a huge win. He flamed out hard in Detroit in 2019-20 with just 1-4-5 in 39 games. A bit of a bounce back in the Swiss league last year with 16 points in 21 games, but also -17. The whole team seems to have been well in to negatives though, so maybe not a great team overall. His scoring pace would have put him among the team leaders if he'd played all season.

He's a decent gamble at that price point, and Tippett knows him from his rookie season. Maybe that makes a difference. Worst case scenario, he's easily bury-able.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790982 is a reply to message #790967 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

6'3" 211 lbs winger. Skates well. What's not to like?!

I kid I kid. Kinda of Thomas Jurco special. Kid has talent, but seems to not be willing to put in the effort consistently. Doubting Tippett will be a fan, but never know if something finally sparks one of these guys to start giving 100%. His Swiss league stats last season look pretty bad though :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790987 is a reply to message #790982 ]
Sun, 08 August 2021 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 21:15

I kid I kid. Kinda of Thomas Jurco special. Kid has talent, but seems to not be willing to put in the effort consistently. Doubting Tippett will be a fan, but never know if something finally sparks one of these guys to start giving 100%. His Swiss league stats last season look pretty bad though :)

Tippet had Perlini in his last year in Phoenix, so he knows him. Had 14G 7A in 57 games as a rookie with Tippett.
He had 9G 7A in 21 games in Swiss last year, so not horrible.
He's got good NHL speed, big, competes, can shoot, and has hit rock bottom in his career, he'll be extremely motivated, he has all the tools, we'll see.

Much better than a Tommy Jurco IMO :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790988 is a reply to message #790987 ]
Sun, 08 August 2021 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 08 August 2021 13:10

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 21:15

Tippet had Perlini in his last year in Phoenix, so he knows him. Had 14G 7A in 57 games as a rookie with Tippett.
He had 9G 7A in 21 games in Swiss last year, so not horrible.
He's got good NHL speed, big, competes, can shoot, and has hit rock bottom in his career, he'll be extremely motivated, he has all the tools, we'll see.

Much better than a Tommy Jurco IMO :)

Chances are he's still an upgrade over most of what the Oilers dressed in their bottom 6 last year

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790989 is a reply to message #790988 ]
Sun, 08 August 2021 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2021 12:42

Chances are he's still an upgrade over most of what the Oilers dressed in their bottom 6 last year

Exactly. 6'-3"" + Good NHL wheels + Skill + Shot is much greater than; Kahun, Neal, Ennis, Nygaard, P. Russell, Haas, Turris.. all for league minimum at 1 year.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790994 is a reply to message #790987 ]
Sun, 08 August 2021 19:21 Go to previous message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 08 August 2021 12:10

If there's one thing that seems to be becoming obvious from this offseason, Tippet has a lot of influence on the structure of this roster.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers sign Brendan Perlini UFA per Sportsnet [message #790992 is a reply to message #790967 ]
Sun, 08 August 2021 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Some Perlini highlights;

OHL

NHL

[Updated on: Sun, 08 August 2021 14:31]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Skinner re-signs - Two year, 2-way contract
Next Topic:Warren Foegele
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca