This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million perPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790926]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:03 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Just got notification from NHL app.

Gene Principe @GenePrincipe 7m
From the team...

The Edmonton Oilers have signed defenceman and alternate captain Darnell Nurse to an eight-year contract extension with an average annual value (AAV) of $9.25 million. The contract will begin in the 2022-23 season.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2021 13:08]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790927 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Love the player, but that's a lotta cheese.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790930 is a reply to message #790927 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:10

Love the player, but that's a lotta cheese.

Mixed bag of emotions. I love the fact he signed past 29 and 97’s contracts. Gives me some hope that the core wants to stick this out until they fix this franchise.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790928 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

We’ll see. I’ve always felt he’s a gifted athlete with good, but not great, skill. Maybe working with McD has changed that and he earns this money but I can see last season being his peak. Hope I’m wrong.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790929 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Nurse will be the 5th highest paid defenseman when the contract kicks in. Bonkers.

Well this is the team they are going with. They spent their money for a long time. Sure hope they can surprise with that defense and goaltending...

Clean house or bust

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790931 is a reply to message #790929 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 12:19

Nurse will be the 5th highest paid defenseman when the contract kicks in. Bonkers.

Well this is the team they are going with. They spent their money for a long time. Sure hope they can surprise with that defense and goaltending...

Goaltending is my biggest worry right now. I don't care how much improvement happens going forward on F and D. Until we have a better G situation we're still one hand behind our back.

That said, that is alot of cheese for Nurse, not gonna make thing easy when it kicks in summer 2022.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790933 is a reply to message #790931 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Alotta cheese.

Whether or not Nurse is a true #1, he's the Oilers #1 and he was going to get paid like it. It's probably a good bet because I don't think the Oilers could replace him.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790932 is a reply to message #790929 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:19

And I would take Nurse on my team over all the guys above him on the pay chart.

I am okay with this deal. Nurse is a core player locked up long-term. If he went to UFA next year and had another year similar to this last one, he'd get over $10M on the open market. He is the star, big, nasty, number one defenceman every team wants.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790935 is a reply to message #790932 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:27

I am okay with this deal. Nurse is a core player locked up long-term. If he went to UFA next year and had another year similar to this last one, he'd get over $10M on the open market. He is the star, big, nasty, number one defenceman every team wants.

Ya, looking at the cap hits of all defensemen, It actually fits right in line. I'd rather have him than Jones or Werenski. Makar and Heiskinen are almost the same but gave up way fewer UFA years. Any others of better value were signed years ago. It's a lot, but it seems at least fair.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790937 is a reply to message #790932 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

The D contracts are probably gonna keep getting stupider now too thanks to what Chicago and Columbus started.

Find it hard to get too mad about how we got here (aside from how we helped Chicago be able to give Jones that deal that blew the D market up). Nurse's game left loads of question marks every time he was up for a contract, but he has kept improving every season. Really hard to fault going with the bridge deals. Then Klef goes down giving Nurse a huge amount of opportunity in this last bridge deal. Just all worked out perfectly for the Nurse camp. And there is no way around it, we are married to this player because of his relationship with McDrai. Maybe that means we should have signed him long term 2 years ago, but who could have predicted Klef just being done and all that ice time he would have been taking being given to Nurse.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790940 is a reply to message #790937 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:48

The D contracts are probably gonna keep getting stupider now too thanks to what Chicago and Columbus started.

Find it hard to get too mad about how we got here (aside from how we helped Chicago be able to give Jones that deal that blew the D market up). Nurse's game left loads of question marks every time he was up for a contract, but he has kept improving every season. Really hard to fault going with the bridge deals. Then Klef goes down giving Nurse a huge amount of opportunity in this last bridge deal. Just all worked out perfectly for the Nurse camp. And there is no way around it, we are married to this player because of his relationship with McDrai. Maybe that means we should have signed him long term 2 years ago, but who could have predicted Klef just being done and all that ice time he would have been taking being given to Nurse.

Yeah, this had a feeling of inevitability to it. I would have liked to see the team get a little bit of a discount here, but it was always going to be a jarring number.

Now, only Kailer Yamamoto's deal stands between Ken Holland and days at the cabin (since the word on the street is that they're NOT going to try to extend Puljujarvi early - foolish as that likely is). Expect a quick bridge deal and then the lights to go out in Kingsway.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790941 is a reply to message #790940 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 14:08

Yeah, this had a feeling of inevitability to it. I would have liked to see the team get a little bit of a discount here, but it was always going to be a jarring number.

Now, only Kailer Yamamoto's deal stands between Ken Holland and days at the cabin (since the word on the street is that they're NOT going to try to extend Puljujarvi early - foolish as that likely is). Expect a quick bridge deal and then the lights to go out in Kingsway.

The Kingsway building is being converted to some sort of medical office. The Oilers now work out the ice district.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790943 is a reply to message #790941 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 14:10

Adam wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 14:08

The Kingsway building is being converted to some sort of medical office. The Oilers now work out the ice district.

Right - I knew that. Still, same thing - this is the part of the summer where they're likely pretty itchy to leave for the summer. They've already lost 2-3 weeks over a normal year!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790945 is a reply to message #790943 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Ouff, that’s a lot of money. Like everyone, writing was on the wall with the insanity of the last few big D contracts, but still. I would have told you a year ago we’d be singing Nurse to over $8MAAV, you would have called me crazy. Let alone $9.25M.

Oh well, hope the cap goes up.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790934 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Number 1 dman on the best oilers team we’ll see since the early 90s.

Gotta love it. Thanks for the bday present Doc and Ol Dutch!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790936 is a reply to message #790934 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

As soon as Seth Jones got 9.5 mill, I knew Nurse was getting more than 9.

They had to sign him, he's critical to the team. He's a #1 dman and he would have got that or more from 31 other teams. I think if they waited, he would have got more. Critical player, they had to sign him. If he left, kiss McD and Leon good by.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790938 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Do I like it? Eh. Did I see it coming after the Seth Jones deal? Yep.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790939 is a reply to message #790938 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:52

With Hamilton being a straight up UFA this year and Nurse's new contract being all UFA years, Hamilton set the market at the minimum it would cost. I think Nurse brings more to the table than Hamilton so it's not surprising he got a touch more. I said it a few times, I think he gets multiple teams offering him more if he went to market.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790942 is a reply to message #790939 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:00

With Hamilton being a straight up UFA this year and Nurse's new contract being all UFA years, Hamilton set the market at the minimum it would cost. I think Nurse brings more to the table than Hamilton so it's not surprising he got a touch more. I said it a few times, I think he gets multiple teams offering him more if he went to market.

If Nurse went to UFA, he would have got a few offers for $10 million per year or damn close to it. When there's 32 teams all bidding for a #1 defencemen.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2021 14:20]

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790944 is a reply to message #790942 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 14:18

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:00

If Nurse went to UFA, he would have got a few offers for $10 million per year or damn close to it. When there's 32 teams all bidding for a #1 defencemen.

100%

No one batted an eye at Hamilton's money. I'd take Nurse over Hamilton any day because I think he brings more to a team and I think most teams would feel the same.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790946 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Nurse has always been a very hard negotiator and he held all the cards in these negotiations. They Oilers are paper thin on defense, and losing Nurse would be a huge blow. He knew it and they knew it, and he leveraged that into a HUGE payday.

In some ways it's hard to look back on the Shea Theodore deal and not wish the Oilers had gone long then at that cap hit; they had locked themselves out of that option at the time with bad contracts and buyouts. They ended up paying for that choice later, and Nurse kept banking on this contract being his big payday. He made the right choice.

It's hard to argue that Seth Jones is a better defenseman than Darnell Nurse the past few seasons, so the market obviously shifted (the irony is the Oilers role in that shift, taking on Keith and opening the door for Chicago to make the Seth Jones signing). It's hard to imagine that this contract doesn't become an issue for the Oilers down the road, or that Nurse is able to live up to it, but at the same time, given the events of the past few weeks, it felt inevitable.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790947 is a reply to message #790946 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 13:47

Nurse has always been a very hard negotiator and he held all the cards in these negotiations. They Oilers are paper thin on defense, and losing Nurse would be a huge blow. He knew it and they knew it, and he leveraged that into a HUGE payday.

In some ways it's hard to look back on the Shea Theodore deal and not wish the Oilers had gone long then at that cap hit; they had locked themselves out of that option at the time with bad contracts and buyouts. They ended up paying for that choice later, and Nurse kept banking on this contract being his big payday. He made the right choice.

It's hard to argue that Seth Jones is a better defenseman than Darnell Nurse the past few seasons, so the market obviously shifted (the irony is the Oilers role in that shift, taking on Keith and opening the door for Chicago to make the Seth Jones signing). It's hard to imagine that this contract doesn't become an issue for the Oilers down the road, or that Nurse is able to live up to it, but at the same time, given the events of the past few weeks, it felt inevitable.

Ya, I agree on it feeling inevitable. Outside of Makar, who's 22, and Pelech who is at a much lower cap hit, I don't think that any of the defencemen signed to long-term deals this year are going to be able to live up to those contracts. This team is going to be feeling the repercussions of Klefbom's injury for a long time.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790948 is a reply to message #790946 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 14:47

I think Nurse brings more to the table than Jones and Nurse's scoring isn't that far off considering he gets half the PP time as Jones has got.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790949 is a reply to message #790948 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 14:01

I think Nurse brings more to the table than Jones and Nurse's scoring isn't that far off considering he gets half the PP time as Jones has got.

Nurse scored 23 points at 5x5 last year. He played ~666 minutes with McDavid and ~490 minutes away from McDavid. Without looking it up, do you want to take a guess as to how many points he scored in those 490 minutes without McDavid on the ice?

And, I'm not even trying to argue that Nurse shouldn't have got what he did given the market. I just think all of those contracts are too much for those players.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790952 is a reply to message #790949 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 15:03

Nurse scored 23 points at 5x5 last year. He played ~666 minutes with McDavid and ~490 minutes away from McDavid. Without looking it up, do you want to take a guess as to how many points he scored in those 490 minutes without McDavid on the ice?

And, I'm not even trying to argue that Nurse shouldn't have got what he did given the market. I just think all of those contracts are too much for those players.

MacT must be smiling somewhere. Finally the Oilers got the 8M+ price point D he wanted instead of giving bums like Petry 4M.

edit: I am enjoying how every move now has a chorus of "I guess it was inevitable..." now :)

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2021 15:41]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790953 is a reply to message #790949 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I do not understand why people bring up playing with McD as this kind of negative. Just because you get on the ice with McD, doesn't mean it's an automatic you score. What was Nuge's excuse? He played almost exclusively with McD this year and had a lousy year. Klef played a ton with McD when he was healthy and he didn't score as much. Sure playing with McD will help a player but they still have to be able to do it.

In my opinion, if Nurse hit the open market, he's at least getting what he got, I think more. He's huge, skates like the wind, big, tough, mean, physical. He can play a ton, play on all special teams, scores pts 5 on 5, good defensively. He rushes the puck, has a great shot. THe only area I see where he isn't really good at, is moving the puck but he does move the puck fairly well and it continues to get better every year. He's everything a team wants in a dman. He's a legit #1 dman and if he hit the market, 31 teams would be falling all over themselves to get him.

If they were to lose him, it would be devastating to the team on the ice and more so in the room. They couldn't replace him and what he does for less. You aren't trading for him so they had to sign him. In my opinion, any of Nurse's haters, their dislike has nothing to do with hockey and I will leave it at that.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790958 is a reply to message #790953 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 15:50

I do not understand why people bring up playing with McD as this kind of negative. Just because you get on the ice with McD, doesn't mean it's an automatic you score. What was Nuge's excuse? He played almost exclusively with McD this year and had a lousy year. Klef played a ton with McD when he was healthy and he didn't score as much. Sure playing with McD will help a player but they still have to be able to do it.

In my opinion, if Nurse hit the open market, he's at least getting what he got, I think more. He's huge, skates like the wind, big, tough, mean, physical. He can play a ton, play on all special teams, scores pts 5 on 5, good defensively. He rushes the puck, has a great shot. THe only area I see where he isn't really good at, is moving the puck but he does move the puck fairly well and it continues to get better every year. He's everything a team wants in a dman. He's a legit #1 dman and if he hit the market, 31 teams would be falling all over themselves to get him.

If they were to lose him, it would be devastating to the team on the ice and more so in the room. They couldn't replace him and what he does for less. You aren't trading for him so they had to sign him. In my opinion, any of Nurse's haters, their dislike has nothing to do with hockey and I will leave it at that.

I don't think there are many haters of the deal, just top end of a suddenly reset market.

You do have to factor in the McD time, especially when he had a season like last year. Simply being on the ice during his shift gives you a decent chance of a second assist. The world at large sees the bump exists, that's why Barrie got no Norris votes in spite of his point totals.

If Edmonton waited all season and he produced at the same rate, how much more could he possibly ask for?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790960 is a reply to message #790953 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 15:50

Are you suggesting that everyone who dislikes Nurse is racist?

Odd. I like Nurse, but he has warts and last season may be an outlier. Mark me down as a skeptic. I hope he can repeat similar seasons throughout this contract, but I have my doubts. Extremely fit and he works hard on improving his game, but until last year he often got lost in his own end.

The contract falls in line with the previous D signings this year, so I’m not shocked and I am glad we have team control for the next 9 seasons. Prove me wrong #25 and become a consistent Norris Trophy candidate.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2021 08:07]

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790964 is a reply to message #790953 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 14:50

The answer is 4.

4 points away from McDavid in almost 500 minutes.

Gregor made the same point on Twitter today and in his article about how not everyone can score with McDavid and I don't buy it. Yes, RNH had a miserable year at 5x5, regardless of who he played with. In the 3 seasons prior to that he scored 2.31 points/60 when playing with McDavid. That would have put him 23rd amongst all forwards over that period with at least 1500 minutes played. That's an elite scoring rate.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason =20172018&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&am p;stdoi=std&rate=y&v=t&playerid=8476454

Regardless of who else is out there, McDavid is the most important player when he's on the ice. So I don't buy the idea that we shouldn't put Nurse's 5x5 scoring in context with how much he plays with McDavid. Away from McDavid, Nurse scores at a rate of about 1 point every 4 or 5 games (and yes, part of that is that the rest of the Oilers forwards are a mess). It's okay production, given who else the Oilers have, I just don't think that kind of production is worth $9.25M/year. Nurse is also not a great defender, he never has been. Imo he runs around and chases the puck in the defensive zone and often is out of position. At that cap hit, I would expect the total package.

I agree with you that that's what the market is right now. I said in a previous post, other than Makar and maybe Heiskanen given their ages, I don't think that any of these defencemen (Jones, Werenski, Hamilton) are likely to live up to their contracts over the long term. I think they got crazy money.

And, I don't even disagree that the Oilers didn't have a lot of options. The return that the Blue Jackets got for Seth Jones wouldn't make the Oilers better today. But this contract certainly won't make managing their cap next year any easier with some key pieces they'll need to sign, unless anyone thinks that the 2nd year of Mike Smith's contract is going to work out.

Or it could just be that I'm racist. You decide.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790970 is a reply to message #790964 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 23:23

The answer is 4.

Gregor made the same point on Twitter today and in his article about how not everyone can score with McDavid and I don't buy it. Yes, RNH had a miserable year at 5x5, regardless of who he played with. In the 3 seasons prior to that he scored 2.31 points/60 when playing with McDavid. That would have put him 23rd amongst all forwards over that period with at least 1500 minutes played. That's an elite scoring rate.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason =20172018&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&am p;am p;stdoi=std&rate=y&v=t&playerid=8476454

Regardless of who else is out there, McDavid is the most important player when he's on the ice. So I don't buy the idea that we shouldn't put Nurse's 5x5 scoring in context with how much he plays with McDavid. Away from McDavid, Nurse scores at a rate of about 1 point every 4 or 5 games (and yes, part of that is that the rest of the Oilers forwards are a mess). It's okay production, given who else the Oilers have, I just don't think that kind of production is worth $9.25M/year. Nurse is also not a great defender, he never has been. Imo he runs around and chases the puck in the defensive zone and often is out of position. At that cap hit, I would expect the total package.

I agree with you that that's what the market is right now. I said in a previous post, other than Makar and maybe Heiskanen given their ages, I don't think that any of these defencemen (Jones, Werenski, Hamilton) are likely to live up to their contracts over the long term. I think they got crazy money.

And, I don't even disagree that the Oilers didn't have a lot of options. The return that the Blue Jackets got for Seth Jones wouldn't make the Oilers better today. But this contract certainly won't make managing their cap next year any easier with some key pieces they'll need to sign, unless anyone thinks that the 2nd year of Mike Smith's contract is going to work out.

There's a few things that are a bit disappointing if you're critiquing Holland's work here. Not only did he give absolute top dollar once more, but he also gave a full no move for the bulk of the deal, with a 10-team list in the final two seasons. Also - because of the way it has been set up, it's got built in poison pills against buyout. The last four seasons have $6MM in bonuses in each year, so if you bought him out with two seasons to go, you're paying the full bonus and getting only minor cap relief.

Holland does appear to be a pretty piss poor negotiator, and I feel that every GM and agent in the league knows it and is happy to take advantage. The Oilers are heavy on upper management, but light on support staff who might actually help mitigate against issues like that, so there was no way we weren't ever paying through the teeth here. Would have been nice to score a couple minor victories...maybe he's saving them up for the Yamamoto negotiation.

One other thing I read yesterday - the Oilers now have more money tied up for 2022-23 than any team outside of Tampa Bay. We better hope some of these bets pay off for the Oilers, because there's going to be very little flexibility to change up this roster for years to come.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790971 is a reply to message #790970 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 14:14

Goose wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 23:23

The answer is 4.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason =20172018&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&am p;am p;am p;stdoi=std&rate=y&v=t&playerid=8476454

There's a few things that are a bit disappointing if you're critiquing Holland's work here. Not only did he give absolute top dollar once more, but he also gave a full no move for the bulk of the deal, with a 10-team list in the final two seasons. Also - because of the way it has been set up, it's got built in poison pills against buyout. The last four seasons have $6MM in bonuses in each year, so if you bought him out with two seasons to go, you're paying the full bonus and getting only minor cap relief.

Holland does appear to be a pretty piss poor negotiator, and I feel that every GM and agent in the league knows it and is happy to take advantage. The Oilers are heavy on upper management, but light on support staff who might actually help mitigate against issues like that, so there was no way we weren't ever paying through the teeth here. Would have been nice to score a couple minor victories...maybe he's saving them up for the Yamamoto negotiation.

One other thing I read yesterday - the Oilers now have more money tied up for 2022-23 than any team outside of Tampa Bay. We better hope some of these bets pay off for the Oilers, because there's going to be very little flexibility to change up this roster for years to come.

Do have to consider the consequences of trying to set a hard line with Nurse. He's in a very unique positions with McDrai. If talks break to a point where he goes back to insist on a 4 year deal, that has huge implications for the futures of McDrai on this team. Not only because of how all their deals expire at the same time, but also just the fact that you have some negativity surrounding how the negotiation went.

I'm probably being too generous thinking Holland is ONLY willing to bend a little for certain guys on the team, because that is clearly not true. Just have a hard time seeing this play out many different ways even if we had a prudent negotiator at the helm. This ended up pretty close to how it would with many other GM's in the same position. And it's a huge huge deal to keep McDrai and Nurse happy here, in the present, and in 4 years if this team is still not winning. Our failures will be the result of how we play with the rest of the cap space outside of those guys. And there is plenty of cap space to still build a winner if used properly.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790974 is a reply to message #790971 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 14:23

Do have to consider the consequences of trying to set a hard line with Nurse. He's in a very unique positions with McDrai. If talks break to a point where he goes back to insist on a 4 year deal, that has huge implications for the futures of McDrai on this team. Not only because of how all their deals expire at the same time, but also just the fact that you have some negativity surrounding how the negotiation went.

I'm probably being too generous thinking Holland is ONLY willing to bend a little for certain guys on the team, because that is clearly not true. Just have a hard time seeing this play out many different ways even if we had a prudent negotiator at the helm. This ended up pretty close to how it would with many other GM's in the same position. And it's a huge huge deal to keep McDrai and Nurse happy here, in the present, and in 4 years if this team is still not winning. Our failures will be the result of how we play with the rest of the cap space outside of those guys. And there is plenty of cap space to still build a winner if used properly.

You're probably right to an extent, although I think a more clever GM doesn't approach it so much like hard negotiation, as opposed to trying to coax Nurse to leave more behind. Maybe using some of the things like the NMC and buyout poison pill as an incentive - ie. we'd really appreciate some help here so we can build a winner around you, and these measures should prove to you that we want you around to be a big part of it.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790975 is a reply to message #790974 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 14:39

You're probably right to an extent, although I think a more clever GM doesn't approach it so much like hard negotiation, as opposed to trying to coax Nurse to leave more behind. Maybe using some of the things like the NMC and buyout poison pill as an incentive - ie. we'd really appreciate some help here so we can build a winner around you, and these measures should prove to you that we want you around to be a big part of it.

Yeah, there is very little clever to be had around these parts :) I think we set ourselves up pretty badly with 2 2 year bridge deals, so twice we decided it wasn't wise to commit to Nurse long term, and now we are just begging for it after Nurse's camp hinting they might want to line up being UFA again with McDavid.

Who came up with the genius call of 2 bridge deals anyways? I actually forgot until Nurse talk started that we just set him up to go to UFA. Doing a bridge leaving 1 RFA year would have been genius in this case. Kinda like it was with Petry, except we had no idea what we had with Petry and decided Nikitin was our 4M price point guy that MacT only wanted 1 of :)

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2021 14:56]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790978 is a reply to message #790975 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 14:53

Adam wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 14:39

Yeah, there is very little clever to be had around these parts :) I think we set ourselves up pretty badly with 2 2 year bridge deals, so twice we decided it wasn't wise to commit to Nurse long term, and now we are just begging for it after Nurse's camp hinting they might want to line up being UFA again with McDavid.

Who came up with the genius call of 2 bridge deals anyways? I actually forgot until Nurse talk started that we just set him up to go to UFA. Doing a bridge leaving 1 RFA year would have been genius in this case. Kinda like it was with Petry, except we had no idea what we had with Petry and decided Nikitin was our 4M price point guy that MacT only wanted 1 of :)

Hey, he also signed Fayne and Ference that summer. How much excellence can one blueline contain?

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790979 is a reply to message #790975 ]
Sat, 07 August 2021 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2021 14:53

Who came up with the genius call of 2 bridge deals anyways?

On the second one, I believe they didn't deal with it until September, so they could only pay him what ws left under the cap.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790954 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Wow.

On the Positive side is its ALL UFA years, and the expectation that the cap will steadily go up during those 8 years. Interesting to hear if there is a NMC.
Based on recent D signings, that's market price for a guy like Darnell, who I think is just starting to realize his potential.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790955 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

eom

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790957 is a reply to message #790955 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

In my opinion, the run on expensive dmen started with Pietrangelo. Covid hits, all hell breaks loose, money is super tight and Vegas goes out and signs a then 30 yr old dman to a 7 yr, 8.8 mill per year deal. So I can understand to a degree how some of these guys who are younger than him got slightly more.

In Nurse, they are getting more prime years because he's younger.

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790959 is a reply to message #790926 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I like that Nurse is staying, but I agree with the "Oof, that's a lot of money." sentiment. If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes, but I am hoping that it doesn't come back to bite the team in the ass after next year....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Nurse Extended 8 Years 9.25 million per [message #790962 is a reply to message #790959 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 16:43

I like that Nurse is staying, but I agree with the "Oof, that's a lot of money." sentiment. If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes, but I am hoping that it doesn't come back to bite the team in the ass after next year....

It’s all well and good until the player makes his inevitable terrible giveaways and bonehead plays and the fan base looks at his (fair market) value and hops on the boo train. Not only were sports contracts offensive in the past, the average Joe Fan has even more reason to yell and scream at the tv or in person now that the general economy,in Alberta and much of the rest of the country, is in the crapper. They see these guys getting huge money, making mistakes while they are counting coins in the couch cushions to pay the bills. I’m not being facetious either. They will be merciless to a player like Darnell if they were merciless to a player like Bear. Good luck to Darnell and I really hope he succeeds because earning that kind of coin, you can’t have off-games and you have to visibly be a huge game breaker every time out of the blocks from a working man perspective. It’s like salt in the wound of the previously employed.

I really hope it works out for the team and player(s) because oh mamma, it could get really really ugly fast, and I’m not just talking about the boo-birds.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #65)
Next Topic:GDT: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #65)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca