This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » RNH to sign 8yr/41M extensionPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788400]
Tue, 29 June 2021 07:32 Go to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

From Rishaug
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/140986560998310707 4

Oilers and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins set to announce a new 8 year 41 million dollar deal today. Includes a no movement clause.

Full NMC according to Friedman
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1409865776996179985

Send a private message to this user  

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788402 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I like the $5M AAV, but 8 years is a damned long time. And not a fan of a full NMC. And the worst part? If he's willing to sign that contract today, would he not also be willing to sign in a couple of weeks AFTER the expansion draft?

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788404 is a reply to message #788402 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I'm guessing his agent used Seattle to get the deal signed. If I'm not mistaken, Seattle gets early negotiating to UFAs before the draft - and if they got to that point, he was gone.

Edit: they can select UFAs - like Vegas did with Egelland

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2021 08:04]

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788406 is a reply to message #788404 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Suomalainen wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 11:02

I'm guessing his agent used Seattle to get the deal signed. If I'm not mistaken, Seattle gets early negotiating to UFAs before the draft - and if they got to that point, he was gone.

Right - but I'm a pretty competitive guy. I'm guessing an NHLer is even more so. Surely he knows it would benefit the team he's going to be committing 8 years to to wait. Have a handshake deal and sign it 20 seconds after Seattle makes their pick from the Oilers. confused2

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788407 is a reply to message #788406 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

One point to remember - the 5 mill cap hit will be very small in 3-4 years time once the world regains its tracks and the economy recovers and the cap has rose considerably.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788410 is a reply to message #788406 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 08:32

Right - but I'm a pretty competitive guy. I'm guessing an NHLer is even more so. Surely he knows it would benefit the team he's going to be committing 8 years to to wait. Have a handshake deal and sign it 20 seconds after Seattle makes their pick from the Oilers. confused2

Everyone is complaining this year about Tampa bending the rules to their advantage. This is why we aren't as competitive. You can bet the Lightning wouldn't be signing him today.

We've given him a long term deal in a place he's comfortable where he's playing with a lot of friends. He got the NMC, he got 8 years (one more than anyone else can give him). Are the Oilers really that worried that he's going to bail to go to an expansion team where he doesn't even know who he'd be playing with? You'd hope that the bond they've forged with the player isn't so tenuous that it can't handle a brief flirtation with a team with no players.

At least Ryan Rishaug got the scoop again. Those boots aren't going to lick themselves!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788412 is a reply to message #788410 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I like the AAV as it's right in the range I felt it should be. The low 5's. I am not a fan of the term as I don't think any player other than the elites should be signed for max term. But I am guessing to get that AAV, the Oilers had to give up term. To get the term Nuge wanted so he could basically retire an Oiler, he had to give up dollars as I think he could get 6 or more from some teams. So I am guessing it was a deal where both sides came away not totally happy.

Hopefully it works out.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788422 is a reply to message #788410 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 08:54

Everyone is complaining this year about Tampa bending the rules to their advantage. This is why we aren't as competitive. You can bet the Lightning wouldn't be signing him today.

We've given him a long term deal in a place he's comfortable where he's playing with a lot of friends. He got the NMC, he got 8 years (one more than anyone else can give him). Are the Oilers really that worried that he's going to bail to go to an expansion team where he doesn't even know who he'd be playing with? You'd hope that the bond they've forged with the player isn't so tenuous that it can't handle a brief flirtation with a team with no players.

At least Ryan Rishaug got the scoop again. Those boots aren't going to lick themselves!

Worth noting, Seattle can offer 8 year contracts. not waiting until after the draft is only a slight misstep with Nuge because there simply aren't enough forwards worth protecting. If they sign Larsson that's a brainfart.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788436 is a reply to message #788422 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 10:25

Adam wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 08:54

Worth noting, Seattle can offer 8 year contracts. not waiting until after the draft is only a slight misstep with Nuge because there simply aren't enough forwards worth protecting. If they sign Larsson that's a brainfart.

The issue with this for me is that it now requires 5 forwards to be protected, meaning we're pretty much committed to the 7-3-1 now. Without Nuge signed, I think you could have gone 4-4-1 and protected both Jones and Klefbom. Now, I think one of them is gone either way. If you sign Larsson too, then Seattle gets to decide which one.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788437 is a reply to message #788436 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

There was a recent report on OilersNation that said that Klefbom is about 95% never to play again.

https://oilersnation.com/2021/06/28/monday-musings-oscar-kle fbom-and-more/

Whether it's true or not it tells me the Oilers have no intention of protecting Klefbom. If the report is true, why would you protect him? If it's false, I assume it's out there so they can blow smoke up Seattle's ass hoping they won't select Klefbom.

Either way, I don't think there's any chance they'll protect him.

Since you need to protect McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Puljujarvi, and Yamamato, they have to go 7-3-1 now. I would add Benson as sixth, but then I have no other forward I would need to protect.

Maybe they can trade a d-man for a forward or goalie before the draft. Can we find a team with too many forwards or goalies?

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788445 is a reply to message #788437 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 17:33

There was a recent report on OilersNation that said that Klefbom is about 95% never to play again.

Whether it's true or not it tells me the Oilers have no intention of protecting Klefbom. If the report is true, why would you protect him? If it's false, I assume it's out there so they can blow smoke up Seattle's ass hoping they won't select Klefbom.

Since you need to protect McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Puljujarvi, and Yamamato, they have to go 7-3-1 now. I would add Benson as sixth, but then I have no other forward I would need to protect.

Maybe they can trade a d-man for a forward or goalie before the draft. Can we find a team with too many forwards or goalies?

Yep - either the reports on Klefbom are true, or the Oilers have finally figured out that you can use the propaganda machine that is the Oilers media for something other than just trying to gaslight your fans. It would be pretty brilliant if that is the case - they've been such bumbling idiots with the media for so long that you could see another team falling for that...and then October rolls around and wait...is that Oscar Klefbom's music!??!

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788456 is a reply to message #788437 ]
Wed, 30 June 2021 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 17:33

I never thought he would come back. He has arthritis in his shoulder. Arthritis can flared up by usage of the joint and can be aggravated by overuse and trauma. What's more traumatic to a shoulder then getting rammed into the boards by a 200lbs human that can happen many times a game. What it does, is it at least takes away any debate about having to protect him or not.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788413 is a reply to message #788406 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Counterpoint: who challenges for the second round first? Seattle or Edmonton?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788414 is a reply to message #788413 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 12:03

Well we're not in a position where I think we really should go for it every year. Maybe in 4-5 years once we've had a few more chances to fill out our roster through the draft, so I'll go with Seattle.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788415 is a reply to message #788414 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 09:07

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 12:03

Well we're not in a position where I think we really should go for it every year. Maybe in 4-5 years once we've had a few more chances to fill out our roster through the draft, so I'll go with Seattle.

The other thing to consider is if Nuge (and he agent) trust the Oilers not to go back on their word or get distracted by a shiny bauble in free agency or simply decide there's another way to outsmart everyone. All things considered, it's probably best for both parties to get the deal done and have that security and not worry about losing the 13th best player instead of the 12th (and potentially the 5th).

I like the deal for right now and think it helps move the Oilers closer to a Stanley Cup. Yes, years 6-8 will probably be an overpay, but the window will likely be closed by then. Pretty crazy to think a 28 year old player is taking a pay cut. Strange times.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788408 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

It’s a great price point. He had a down year but is a talented player. The length of the deal doesn’t concern me as I expect he’ll be a contributor for most or all. Might’ve waited until after the draft but I had him on my protected list anyways.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788409 is a reply to message #788408 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Not a fan of the term, but $5M AAV is very palatable and like clutchlikeeberle said, once the flat cap is over, the 5M becomes much more reasonable. Nuge may be our first career Oiler and I do not hate that.

Guess we are going 7-3-1 for the expansion draft.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788411 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

This is surprisingly pretty good.

I can’t complain about the dollars. If he bounces back, we are laughing next year.

I don’t mind trading term for a lower salary. We are in win now mode. The Blackhawks signed lots of their core into deals that take them to 35+. Hossa, Seabrook, Keith, Kane, Toews etc. But it gave them a competitive window.

And it’s really nice that a player wants to spend his whole career in Edmonton. I don’t think we’ve given Ryan the success and support cast that he deserved, so it’s a bit shocking. His roots here must be very important to him, and that’s great.

Clean house or bust

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788416 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Nuge at 5.125? Fantastic.

Nuge at 36? I guess we'll see how the back end pans out.

Are we next going to see Nurse at 7Mx8 as opposed to 8.5Mx5?

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788418 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

I'm okay with this deal. The term is a bit much, but that is what it costs to bring down the AAV.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788420 is a reply to message #788418 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Like most have already said, I'm very happy with the cap hit, less so on the term and NMC. That all said, the next 2-3 years will ultimately decide if this is a good deal or not. The cup window is now wide open as far as I'm concerned. Now is the time to round out the roster. Nuge is step 1, and if we can't add another legit top 6 forward then none of this matters.

For today, I'm happy about this and am hopeful Ken is able to do what needs to be done.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788421 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Great signing. I bet in 6 years, $5M will be what $3M looks like today, so the term is totally worth it. I don't see him getting comfy and regressing now that he has his final big payday contract - he's no Kassian.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788423 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

It's a bummer we couldn't get Nuge to hold off signing until after expansion, but I guess it is what it is. So many angles to arguing why that would or wouldn't be possible. He's taking an AAV discount. He wants to be loyal to the org, but there is no question there would be good opportunities elsewhere. At the same time, he should want to win, so he had an opportunity here to give his team an advantage with the expansion draft to make that a bit easier where he could sign the same deal either way. Same with Larsson of course. Is it up to players to help out managers? Not really I guess. Doesn't seem like this was that easy a negotiation, and Nuge is probably happy for it to be over.

Ah well, AAV is fine. Hope we put him on Drai's wing!

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2021 10:31]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788425 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I don't mind the deal. Leaning toward liking it.

Up to year 5 you've got a solid play, hopefully he finds his game in the playoffs because so far he's a non performer.

Then the final 3 years he is either buyout or a cheap sell to another team.

Overall noice.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788428 is a reply to message #788425 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Smart move. I figured he could get 6.5+ from the Kraken. 5 mil for a center of Nuge's calibre is a bargain, even 8 years down the road the market price will have gone up around him anyways.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788430 is a reply to message #788428 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 12:10

Smart move. I figured he could get 6.5+ from the Kraken. 5 mil for a center of Nuge's calibre is a bargain, even 8 years down the road the market price will have gone up around him anyways.

It's only a bargain if you consider him a center. Nothing he has done so far has shown that he's an effective center. His most productive time has come on Draisaitl's wing which is where he should be playing anyways. This team needs to have McDavid & Draisaitl as it's top two centers if it's going to do any damage. 5M for your 3rd line center is too much $ and Nuge isn't effective in a third line role anyways. So for a top 6 winger that brings what Nuge does the money is ok, I wouldn't call it a bargain, and the term is maybe a bit long but should be ok if the cap trends back upwards over the next few years.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788432 is a reply to message #788430 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I don't think you can underestimate the value of players who can step into a C role as needed. injuries, Penalties or the inevitable McDrai on line 1.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788433 is a reply to message #788432 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 14:29

I don't think you can underestimate the value of players who can step into a C role as needed. injuries, Penalties or the inevitable McDrai on line 1.

Exactly.

And we'll have Nuge and soon to follow... Holloway icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788429 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I agree about liking the money part and not so much the term/NMC part. However, it is at least a decent contract for the current and near future and leaves the Oil with wiggle room to hopefully sign more talent to round out the lines and add badly-needed depth scoring.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788431 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I'm going to be Coors Banquet beer can half full on this deal, even if I was concerned about RNH's drop in performance the past 2 seasons, especially speed, and 5v5.

Positive POV;

Hoping the drop in performance the past 2 seasons were the dual effects of being newly married, and wide spread covid restrictions, interfering with off season training and focus.

Hoping this off season, fewer covid restrictions, personal pride, he'll get re-dedicated to his training and gain a step back in his skating, improve strength.

By the time he is in the 4th year of the contract, expect the increase in league cap will make $5.125M look like a decent deal.

Clearly wants to be an Oiler, and stay in Edmonton, a desire which shouldn't be disregarded.

Always a good option on PK!

Top NHL level on PP!

Plus .. the guy isn't even shaving yet, looks like a kid, hasn't fully physically matured, probably only 22 in Nuge years.. guy is just getting into his prime! icon_nod 👍🏻

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788434 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

With the reduced cap space caused by this signing I'd have recommend we see next year as a development year. 2022-23 should see the cap go up and then we can really start to get things going.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788435 is a reply to message #788434 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 16:32

With the reduced cap space caused by this signing I'd have recommend we see next year as a development year. 2022-23 should see the cap go up and then we can really start to get things going.

Don't be a wuss. Montreal is out of our division now. Huge opening to try to go for it next year.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788438 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Nuge did an interview with Tim Micallef today that was actually pretty good.

Nuge says the team really started to turn around in 2016-2017. Gee, I winder why that would be?

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788460 is a reply to message #788438 ]
Wed, 30 June 2021 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Kassian driving his own line.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788462 is a reply to message #788438 ]
Wed, 30 June 2021 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 17:50

Nuge says the team really started to turn around in 2016-2017. Gee, I winder why that would be?

No offense intended to Nuge because I like him as a player but a team doesn't have a chance to do well without a legit, line driving top 6 center which he is not and has never been.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788466 is a reply to message #788438 ]
Wed, 30 June 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 29 June 2021 17:50

I suspect because that was the first injury-free McDavid season...somehow, I don't think that was a veiled shot at his buddy as you're implying...

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788442 is a reply to message #788400 ]
Tue, 29 June 2021 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Team friendly deal, instantly provides ~ $900k of cap space. Zero concern about the term, he'll still be a useful middle 6 forward at the end of it. If he was greedy and didn't give a f@ck about his club, he'd be gone for more elsewhere. Glad Holland isn't having to look for 2 pieces in the top 6, and interested to see what he does now that this is done.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788465 is a reply to message #788442 ]
Wed, 30 June 2021 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Different player but goes in line with Nuge as a key UFA that I think the Oilers need to resign as he was pretty critical to their success and has been singled out by name but the coach but more importantly their 2 franchise players as a critical member of the team that needs to be back.

If Larsson will resign for a cap hit that is lower than what he makes now, for a term you are comfortable with, do you sign him now knowing you have to protect him? I know some people including myself think in a perfect world you have a deal in place just not filed so you don't protect him then as soon as the expansion draft is over, you file it but would he even do that and what happens if Seattle who has a early window to talk to UFA's says they'd give him more? He does want to stay but you run the risk of the price being driven up and ever 100K counts.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788468 is a reply to message #788465 ]
Wed, 30 June 2021 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 30 June 2021 10:30

Different player but goes in line with Nuge as a key UFA that I think the Oilers need to resign as he was pretty critical to their success and has been singled out by name but the coach but more importantly their 2 franchise players as a critical member of the team that needs to be back.

If Larsson will resign for a cap hit that is lower than what he makes now, for a term you are comfortable with, do you sign him now knowing you have to protect him? I know some people including myself think in a perfect world you have a deal in place just not filed so you don't protect him then as soon as the expansion draft is over, you file it but would he even do that and what happens if Seattle who has a early window to talk to UFA's says they'd give him more? He does want to stay but you run the risk of the price being driven up and ever 100K counts.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter now unless the team is sure that Klefbom is done. The Oilers are losing something of value now, because they can't protect 4 defencemen any more. The advantage of not signing Larsson is that you can protect an extra player, so you can decide whether it's Klefbom or Jones that they protect. Whether you like Jones or not, there's trade value to a young defenceman like him - so I'd prefer to keep him. I think all the recent stories about Klefbom are the team indicating that they won't protect him in this expansion draft.

If they lose him and he does return to form, it's a huge error on the part of management because they really should know better than anyone his prognosis and his mindset.

I would have liked a situation where you could protect both Klefbom and Jones, but now at least one is available either way. If we don't sign Larsson, we have the option of who we lose. If we do protect Larsson? Then Seattle just gets to pick who they like.

The other x-factor is if the Oilers are having any sidebar conversations with the Kraken about controlling who they take. I would give up a significant amount to the Kraken in order for them to take James Neal (or Koskinen for that matter). That give could include Jones or Kassian and potentially draft picks on top of that. If we were able to use this draft to clear millions off the salary cap? That's a huge gift.

Re: RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension [message #788470 is a reply to message #788468 ]
Wed, 30 June 2021 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 30 June 2021 11:20

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 30 June 2021 10:30

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter now unless the team is sure that Klefbom is done. The Oilers are losing something of value now, because they can't protect 4 defencemen any more. The advantage of not signing Larsson is that you can protect an extra player, so you can decide whether it's Klefbom or Jones that they protect. Whether you like Jones or not, there's trade value to a young defenceman like him - so I'd prefer to keep him. I think all the recent stories about Klefbom are the team indicating that they won't protect him in this expansion draft.

If they lose him and he does return to form, it's a huge error on the part of management because they really should know better than anyone his prognosis and his mindset.

I would have liked a situation where you could protect both Klefbom and Jones, but now at least one is available either way. If we don't sign Larsson, we have the option of who we lose. If we do protect Larsson? Then Seattle just gets to pick who they like.

The other x-factor is if the Oilers are having any sidebar conversations with the Kraken about controlling who they take. I would give up a significant amount to the Kraken in order for them to take James Neal (or Koskinen for that matter). That give could include Jones or Kassian and potentially draft picks on top of that. If we were able to use this draft to clear millions off the salary cap? That's a huge gift.

Why would it be a good idea to protect Klefbom at all? Taking away the report it's 95% certain he's done. Why would it make sense to protect a guy who unless it's 100% certain he's fine, he's 1 bump away from being out or done forever. So you protect him hoping he will be OK and as a result, you lose someone else. Camp comes along or the first preseason game comes because the guy hasn't played hockey in over 1.5 yrs so you are goign to want to get him into games. Some junior guy or AHLer trying to make an impression, runs him and he's done.

I never understood the rational behind potentially protecting a guy who odds were against him being able to play anytime soon.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Puljujarvi + Yamamoto File for Arbitration
Next Topic:Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca