This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » The 2021 Edmonton Oilers' Birthday threadPages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 February 6 [message #775052 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sat, 06 February 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Just two "blink and you'll miss them" alumni today--you're a true Oiler fan if you remember either of these guys:

Jim Cross
Born: February 6, 1957 (turns 64 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Position: Defenseman (shoots left)
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, August 1977.
Oilers Career: 1977-78: 2 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Retired in 1978.

Cross is a bit of an enigma--there's almost no info on him that I can find. He was playing in the AJHL during the 1977-78 season when he was called up to play for the Oilers for two games. After this there is no record of him having played hockey that I can find. I'm speculating now, but I have to think the Oilers calling up a 19/20 year old defenseman from the St. Albert Saints was some kind of emergency thing, but kudos to Cross for getting a taste of major pro. A happy 64th to him, wherever he may be.

Mike Hudson
Born: February 6, 1967 (turns 54 today) in Guelph, ON.
Position: Centre (shoots left)
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Chicago for Craig Muni, March 22, 1993.
Oilers Career: 1992-93: 5 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Claimed on waivers by NY Rangers, October 3, 1993.

Hudson was a journeyman centre who played for seven NHL teams over his career, never getting a firm foothold on any of them. The Oilers were his second team, coming over for Craig Muni near the end of the Oiler's purge of their cup teams. He would only play 5 games for the team, and the Oilers would let him go on waivers the next year. He jumped around to five more NHL teams before going to Germany for the last two years of his career before retiring in 1999. Not sure what he's been up to since, but happy 54th birthday to him.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: February 6 [message #775061 is a reply to message #775052 ]
Sat, 06 February 2021 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Finding a junior A player to spot in for a couple of games seems like a better solution for the goal problem than what they're doing this year.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: February 6 [message #775063 is a reply to message #775052 ]
Sat, 06 February 2021 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Wasn’t Hudson the first to wear #9 post-Glenn Anderson?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: February 6 [message #775067 is a reply to message #775063 ]
Sat, 06 February 2021 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 06 February 2021 15:11

Pretty sure Bernie Nicholls wore it right after Anderson in 91-92.

Re: February 6 [message #775068 is a reply to message #775067 ]
Sat, 06 February 2021 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Sat, 06 February 2021 16:44

Adam wrote on Sat, 06 February 2021 15:11

Pretty sure Bernie Nicholls wore it right after Anderson in 91-92.

Yep - you’re right. Forgot about that!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

February 7 [message #775321 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Here are todays alumni players:

Lee Fogolin
Born: February 7, 1955 (turns 66 today) in Chicago, Illinois.
Position: Defenseman (shoots right).
Acquired by Oilers: Claimed from Buffalo in expansion draft June 13, 1979.
Oilers Career: 1979-80 to 1986-87: 586 games (78 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Buffalo (with Mark Napier and 4th round pick) for Norman Lacombe, Wayne Van Dorp and 4th round pick, March 6, 1987.

Fogolin was a five year veteran in the Sabres organization when they left him unprotected and the Oilers claimed him in the expansion draft. He was definitely the most prductive player they got in the draft, and the only one that made it to their cup years. For nearly eight years he played a top four shut down role, playing mostly with Kevin Lowe. He served as captain for over two seasons, before voluntarily giving it up to Gretzky after the 82-83 season. He was dealt back to Buffalo at the 1987 deadline and then retired at the end of the season. He settled in Edmonton following his career, where he continues to reside. Fogolin was struck by tragedy when his son Michael (a hockey player himself) died at the age of 17 in 2004 of cardiac arrest. Hopefully times are better for Lee now, and I wish him a happy 66th.

Paul Comrie
Born: February 7, 1977 (turns 44 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Tampa Bay (with Roman Hamrlik) for Jason Bonsignore, Steve Kelly, and Bryan Marchment, December 30, 1997.
Oilers Career: 1999-2000: 15 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Retired in 2001.

Comrie is the son of prominent Edmonton businessman Bill Comrie. He came to the Oilers in a blockbuster trade during 97-98 season while he was still playing at the University of Denver. He joined the Oilers farm team in 98-99 and played 15 games with the Oilers during 99-00 season. He ran into concussion problems and was forced to retire after missing the entire 00-01 season (and a chance to play with brother Mike who had just joined the Oilers that year). After retirement he used his university degree (and likely some nepotism) to work in the family business (The Brick) where he's held several executive positions over the last sixteen years. Happy 44th Paul.

Nathan Walker
Born: February 7, 1994 (turns 27 today) in Cardiff, Wales.
Acquired by Oilers: Claimed on waivers from Washington, December 1, 2017.
Oilers Career: 2017-18: 2 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Claimed on waivers by Washington, December 20, 2017.

Walker is definitely the best Welsh born, Australian raised hockey player in history. It's impressive that he made it all the way to the NHL. Without any good competition in Australia, he ended up going to Europe in his teens to develop his game. He was in the Capitals system when the Oilers plucked him on waivers during the 17-18 season. He dressed for two games for the Oilers after which they decided to waive him and he was reclaimed by Washington. He's continued his career, mostly playing in the AHL, but has managed some time in the NHL. He's currently in the Blues system, playing for Utica in the AHL. A happy 27th to Nathan.

As it happens, no Oilers alumni were born on either February 8 or 9, thus I get a couple of days off from this thread. I'll be back Wednesday with more.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 February 2021 11:58]

February 10 [message #775757 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Wed, 10 February 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

After two days with nothing, we're back with... two minor Oilers:

Norm Foster
Born: February 10, 1965 (turns 56 today) in Vancouver, BC.
Position: Goalie (catches left)
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Boston for 6th round pick, September 11, 1991.
Oilers Career: 1991-92: 10 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Philadelphia, August 4, 1993.

The Oilers acquired Foster for goalie insurance prior to the 91-92 season. He had been a long time AHL goalie (only playing 3 NHL games prior) but managed to get some playing time with the Oilers when he outduelled Peter Ing for the backup role (Ranford was set as the starter). He got in 10 games with the Oilers, but when they acquired the more established Ron Tugnutt at the 92 deadline, Foster found himself back in the minors. He would never play another NHL game, hanging around the AHL and IHL until retiring in 1995. All I can find on him since retirement is that he lives in Rochester Michigan. Happy 56th Norm.

Dillon Simpson
Born: February 10, 1993 (turns 28 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 92nd overall, June 25, 2011.
Oilers Career: 2016-17: 3 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Columbus, July 1, 2018.

Simpson is the son of former Oilers great Craig (who we will discuss in a few days), born right here in Edmonton while dad was still an Oiler. Unlike his dad, he decided to become a defenseman playing in North Dakota when the Oilers selected him in the 4th round of the 2011 draft. He played four years in the Oilers minor system (Oklahoma City and Bakersfield) and is included here because he managed 3 games with the team during the 16-17 as an injury call up. That is to date his only sniff of the big leagues. The Oilers let him walk in 2018 and he's been in the Columbus system since, but has yet to play any more NHL games. He's currently in his third season in Columbus' farm team in Cleveland. Happy 28th Dillon.

And that's all for today, but I do get to celebrate my son's 18th birthday today. Now that both my kids are adults, I'm really starting to feel my age.

Re: February 10 [message #775758 is a reply to message #775757 ]
Wed, 10 February 2021 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 10 February 2021 10:47

After two days with nothing, we're back with... two minor Oilers:

Norm Foster
Born: February 10, 1965 (turns 56 today) in Vancouver, BC.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Boston for 6th round pick, September 11, 1991.
Oilers Career: 1991-92: 10 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Philadelphia, August 4, 1993.

The Oilers acquired Foster for goalie insurance prior to the 91-92 season. He had been a long time AHL goalie (only playing 3 NHL games prior) but managed to get some playing time with the Oilers when he outduelled Peter Ing for the backup role (Ranford was set as the starter). He got in 10 games with the Oilers, but when they acquired the more established Ron Tugnutt at the 92 deadline, Foster found himself back in the minors. He would never play another NHL game, hanging around the AHL and IHL until retiring in 1995. All I can find on him since retirement is that he lives in Rochester Michigan. Happy 56th Norm.

Dillon Simpson
Born: February 10, 1993 (turns 28 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 92nd overall, June 25, 2011.
Oilers Career: 2016-17: 3 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Columbus, July 1, 2018.

Simpson is the son of former Oilers great Craig (who we will discuss in a few days), born right here in Edmonton while dad was still an Oiler. Unlike his dad, he decided to become a defenseman playing in North Dakota when the Oilers selected him in the 4th round of the 2011 draft. He played four years in the Oilers minor system (Oklahoma City and Bakersfield) and is included here because he managed 3 games with the team during the 16-17 as an injury call up. That is to date his only sniff of the big leagues. The Oilers let him walk in 2018 and he's been in the Columbus system since, but has yet to play any more NHL games. He's currently in his third season in Columbus' farm team in Cleveland. Happy 28th Dillon.

And that's all for today, but I do get to celebrate my son's 18th birthday today. Now that both my kids are adults, I'm really starting to feel my age.

Happy Birthday, Benv Jr.! Thanks for doing these, they're super interesting.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: February 10 [message #775828 is a reply to message #775758 ]
Wed, 10 February 2021 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 10 February 2021 09:57

[/quote]
Thanks!

I was thinking today how when I turned 18 (way back in 1990), the Oilers were a few months away from cup #5. Oiler fans of my son's generation have seen almost nothing but losing. Too young to remember 2006, the best Oiler season was 16-17, when they actually got to glimpse the playoffs (what's a playoff was a common joke). When you think of it, what the Oilers did in 2017 is about the same as what they did in 1986, but the former is considered their best season for my son's generation and the latter is the worst season (at least when I was 18) for my generation. I sometimes marvel how lucky I was to grow up a die hard Oiler fan in the 80s.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 February 2021 18:28]

Re: February 10 [message #775837 is a reply to message #775828 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 10 February 2021 19:26

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 10 February 2021 09:57

Thanks!

I was thinking today how when I turned 18 (way back in 1990), the Oilers were a few months away from cup #5. Oiler fans of my son's generation have seen almost nothing but losing. Too young to remember 2006, the best Oiler season was 16-17, when they actually got to glimpse the playoffs (what's a playoff was a common joke). When you think of it, what the Oilers did in 2017 is about the same as what they did in 1986, but the former is considered their best season for my son's generation and the latter is the worst season (at least when I was 18) for my generation. I sometimes marvel how lucky I was to grow up a die hard Oiler fan in the 80s.
[/quote]

Scary to think about that stuff...I guess we're lucky to have '06. I'm a bit younger than you, so when the Oilers won their last cup, I was 10. I marveled at them then, will never forget the kid line, but I was 10 and living in Winnipeg, so the Oilers were just another team at that time for me, I still had the Jets. I adopted the Oilers in 96/97 after the Jets left town and fell in love with those hard working teams upsetting people in the late 90s...that Marchant goal! that Buckberger goal! So, for me, 06 is the pinnacle, 17 should have been, if not for stupid Kesler and that goalie interference non-call.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 February 2021 07:23]

Re: February 10 [message #775893 is a reply to message #775837 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

Scary to think about that stuff...I guess we're lucky to have '06. I'm a bit younger than you, so when the Oilers won their last cup, I was 10. I marveled at them then, will never forget the kid line, but I was 10 and living in Winnipeg, so the Oilers were just another team at that time for me, I still had the Jets. I adopted the Oilers in 96/97 after the Jets left town and fell in love with those hard working teams upsetting people in the late 90s...that Marchant goal! that Buckberger goal! So, for me, 06 is the pinnacle, 17 should have been, if not for stupid Kesler and that goalie interference non-call.

Interesting that you attached yourself to the Oilers when the Jets left. I lived in Ottawa from 1997 to 2003 (a time when the Jets were gone) and was friends with a guy from Winnipeg who absolutely loathed the Oilers. And I completely understood why--the Jets were basically the Oilers' b**ch from 1983 to 1990. The Oilers were 6-0 in playoff series (including four sweeps), and 22-4 in playoff games games against Winnipeg in that stretch. Every year they beat Winnipeg they either won the cup or made it to the finals.

Now that I think about it, I remember watching a preseason Oilers/Coyotes game that was played in Winnipeg (I think it was about 2006) and the crowd was obviously behind the Oilers, even to the extent of booing Mike Comrie every time he touched the puck--just like real Oiler fans.

I guess you being a bit younger, you didn't get a hate on for the Oilers that a lot of Jets fans got from the 80s, so you were able to switch allegiances more easily when the Jets left. Just out of curiosity, do you cheer for the current version of the Jets, or are you still completely with the Oilers?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 February 2021 12:40]

Re: February 10 [message #775895 is a reply to message #775893 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 12:38

Quote:

Interesting that you attached yourself to the Oilers when the Jets left. I lived in Ottawa from 1997 to 2003 (a time when the Jets were gone) and was friends with a guy from Winnipeg who absolutely loathed the Oilers. And I completely understood why--the Jets were basically the Oilers' b**ch from 1983 to 1990. The Oilers were 6-0 in playoff series (including four sweeps), and 22-4 in playoff games games against Winnipeg in that stretch. Every year they beat Winnipeg they either won the cup or made it to the finals.

Now that I think about it, I remember watching a preseason Oilers/Coyotes game that was played in Winnipeg (I think it was about 2006) and the crowd was obviously behind the Oilers, even to the extent of booing Mike Comrie every time he touched the puck--just like real Oiler fans.

I guess you being a bit younger, you didn't get a hate on for the Oilers that a lot of Jets fans got from the 80s, so you were able to switch allegiances more easily when the Jets left. Just out of curiosity, do you cheer for the current version of the Jets, or are you still completely with the Oilers?

I attended the Heritage Classic in Winnipeg in 2016 and thought it was funny all the attempts to portray it as this massive rivalry between the teams. I told people (including some Winnipeg friends) that it was a rivalry in a similar way to how a speedbump is a rival to an SUV...

Re: February 10 [message #775933 is a reply to message #775893 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 13:38

Quote:

I was born in Winnipeg, so always cheered for the Jets, but I lived in Mississauga from '82-'89, so I lived there for all the Oiler cups. I was too young to understand the what the Oilers were doing to the Jets, so there was no hatred for them. I do understand it completely though.

I'm still very much an Oilers fan today, but I am also a Jets fan. I hate when the teams play each other, I feel sick and have a hard time with those games. I went to every Oilers game here, wearing my Oilers jersey each time, until a couple years ago. I just couldn't bear to go any more so I'd turn down the tickets if offered. I know a lot of Oiler fans in Winnipeg and we generally all feel the same way, it's a very strange situation where we are Winnipeggers and proud of that, and therefore proud of the Jets and how Winnipeg was able to get the NHL back. But we still love our Oilers, too. I'm 100% Jets in Jets games and 100% Oilers in Oiler games but I'm probably 50/50 when they play each other and I feel sick about it. I'm very excited for the playoffs this year, but also dreading them because I know there's a very real chance that these teams will meet.

Re: February 10 [message #775764 is a reply to message #775757 ]
Wed, 10 February 2021 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 10 February 2021 09:47

Happy birthday to your son, and welcome to old age for you!

Thanks again for this thread - it's a really fun one.

February 11 [message #775852 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Two more players added to the mythology today:

Jaroslav Spacek
Born: February 11, 1974 (turns 47 today) in Rokycany, Czechoslovakia
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Chicago for Tony Salmaleinen, January 26, 2006.
Oilers Career: 2005-06: 31 games (24 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Buffalo, July 5, 2006.

Spacek was an offensive minded defenseman with a long NHL career. Smack in the middle of it was his short stint in Edmonton. Spacek had come over to North America in 1998 after several years in the Czech Republic and soon established himself as a bonafide NHL threat from the backend. He played for Florida, Columbus and Chicago (twice) before the Hawks dealt him to the Oilers as a rental in 2006. Paired with Chrs Pronger, he was an immediate improvement to the Oiler blue line, helping steer them to game 7 of the Stanley Cup. The Oilers tried to re-sign him in the offseason, but (possibly influenced by Pronger's departure) he chose to sign in Buffalo instead. He played six more years in the league before retiring in 2012. After retiring he became an assistant coach (and occasional subsititute player) for Skoda Plzen in his native Czech, where he continues to be employed to this day. Happy 47th to Jaroslav.

Tyler Bunz
Born: February 11, 1992 (turns 29 today) in St. Albert, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 121st overall, June 26, 2010.
Oilers Career: 2014-15: 1 game (0 playoff game)
Left Oilers: Retired in 2015.

Bunz was a late 2010 draft pick of the Oilers who had some good junior numbers in the WHL, but could not quite make it in pro hockey. When he went pro in 2012, he spent most of his time in the ECHL getting occasional AHL call ups. His inclusion as an "Oiler alumnus" came near the end of the 14-15 season when the Oilers found themselves with two goalie injuries and Bunz came up to the Oilers and backed up Ben Scrivens for a few games. In one particularly nasty outing, when Scrivens had given up 5 goals in 2 periods, Todd Nelson decided to throw Bunz in for the third in his only ever NHL action. He gave up 3 goals on 12 shots in the 8-2 loss. He was soon back in the AHL, and then decided to retire after the season. This early retirement could have been related to a nasty injury he suffered the year before when he was hit in the throat by a puck (it was even called life threatening at the time). Bunz has spent his retirement in St. Albert, and occasionally plays senior hockey. A happy 29th to him.

Re: February 11 [message #775856 is a reply to message #775852 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Salmeleinan for Spacek... that was a good deal for us.

February 12 [message #776059 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Here are today's additions to the thread:

Michel Petit
Born: February 12, 1964 (turns 57 today) in St. Malo, QU.
Position: Defenseman (shoots right)
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, October 24, 1996.
Oilers Career: 1996-97: 18 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Claimed on waivers by Philadelphia, January 17, 1997.

Petit was a rugged right shot defenseman and the very definition of "journeyman" NHLer, playing for ten different NHL teams over his fifteen year NHL career. He came to the Oilers late in his career when he was 32 (they were his eighth team), signing as a free agent after the 96-97 season had already started. After only eighteen games with the team, they decided to waive him, and Philadelphia ended up claiming him. He would play only one more season in the NHL (with Phoenix) before going to play in Germany and Italy and ending his career in 2002. Since retirement Petit has lived in Texas (hmm--Dallas wasn't even one of his ten teams) and is a sales manager for Smart Sand. Happy 57th Michel.

Brad Werenka
Born: February 12, 1969 (turns 52 today) in Two Hills, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 42 overall, June 13, 1987.
Oilers Career: 1992-93 to 1993-94: 42 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Quebec for Steve Passmore, March 21, 1994.

I can remember Werenka going all the way back to him being 16 and a star offensive defenseman on my local AJHL Fort Saskatchewan Traders. The Oilers drafted him in the 2nd round in 1987 out of Northern Michigan, and he finally joined their system in Cape Breton in 91-92. He spent the 92-93 and 93-94 seasons between Cape Breton, Edmonton, and a stint on the 1994 Canadian Olympic team (the last year before all the pros went). He never quite found his offensive game with the Oilers (getting in 42 games over two years) and they dealt him to Quebec at the 1994 trade deadline. After toiling in the minors the next few years he finally established himself as a full time NHLer with Pittsburgh in 97-98. Unfortunately, while playing with Calgary in December 2000 he sustained a concussion that eventually ended his career. He's been active since his retirement, running hockey camps for kids, briefly being an assistant coach in the WHL, getting his law degree, and practicing law. A happy 52nd to Brad.

Re: February 12 [message #776065 is a reply to message #776059 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 09:39

Brad Werenka

Left Oilers: Traded to Quebec for Steve Passmore, March 21, 1994.

Always thought the story around his trade was hilarious. Media heard a rumour he was on the trade block and asked Sather about it. He brushed off the rumours saying that the player had a long future ahead of him in this town...except they were in Quebec City when he said that. No one twigged on that when it was said, until the deal happened the next day.

February 13 [message #776090 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sat, 13 February 2021 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It's backup goalie day on the birthday thread with two to discuss:

Daryl Reaugh
Born: February 13, 1965 (turns 56 today) in Prince George, BC.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 42nd overall, June 9, 1984.
Oilers Career: 1984-85 to 1987-88: 7 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Hartford, October 9, 1989.

Reaugh had the unfortunate position of being a young goalie in the Oilers system when Fuhr and Moog simply dominated the nets. After being drafted by the Oilers in 1984, he played a single game for them during 84-85 while being in all star in the WHL (probably an emergency call up?). He spent the next two years in the AHL as Cape Breton's primary goalie. When Moog decided to sit out the 87-88 season, Reaugh got his chance to be Fuhr's backup, dressing for 60 games, but only actually seeing the ice for 6 of them (Fuhr was a beast that year). Once Ranford arrived at the trade deadline, it was back to the AHL for Reaugh. He left the Oilers' system after 88-89, signing with Hartford. There he played mostly in the AHL, though he did get 20 games in the bigs. A freak hand injury forced an early retirement in 1994. After retiring Reaugh found his calling as an NHL broadcaster. He started out with the Whalers, but soon moved to Dallas, where he has worked as the Stars' main colour commentator since 1996. His work with Jim Ralph is dubbed "Ralph and Razor" and has a cult following in Dallas. Happy 56th "Razor".

Al Montoya
Born: February 13, 1985 (turns 36 today) in Chicago, IL.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Montreal for 4th round pick, January 4, 2018.
Oilers Career: 2017-18: 9 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Not re-signed following 18-19 season.

Montoya was a veteran NHL backup (playing with four different teams) when the Oilers acquired him in January 2018 to back up Cam Talbot. He played only 9 games, with ok numbers. The most memorable part of his tenure in Edmonton was his spat with local reporter Ryan Rishaug when Rishaug called him mentally weak for refusing a pre-game interview (a very unprofessional thing to say in my opinion). With the acquisition of Koskinnen to start 18-19, Montoya found himself in Bakersfield, and didn't see any NHL action. The Oilers chose not to re-sign him following the season, and from what I can see, he has not played since then, though he hasn't officially announced his retirement yet either. He is currently working to promote hockey in the U.S. hispanic community (he is apparently the first native Spanish speaker in NHL history--though I'm not sure if this is confirmed). A happy 36th to Al.

Re: February 13 [message #776105 is a reply to message #776090 ]
Sat, 13 February 2021 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

benv wrote on Sat, 13 February 2021 10:21

The start of the Oilers complete and total inability to develop goalies?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: February 13 [message #776110 is a reply to message #776105 ]
Sat, 13 February 2021 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 13 February 2021 16:04

benv wrote on Sat, 13 February 2021 10:21

The start of the Oilers complete and total inability to develop goalies?

Nah - after picking Fuhr in 1981 the team picked a slew of guys who weren't Fuhr. Reaugh was the fourth in that line!

1982 - Ian Wood (188th overall), Chris Smith (230th). Neither got a game.
1983 - Dave Roach (180th) - never got a game.
1984 - Daryl Reaugh - 27 NHL games - I always thought he might have had a chance if the Oilers didn't always have two all-stars in front of him for his whole career here.
1985 - Brian Tessier (125th), John Haley (251st) - no games.
1986 - Mike Greenlay (189th) - 2 games!
1987 - Gavin Armstrong (189th) - no games
1988 - Tom Cole (187th) - no games
1990 - Greg Louder (101st), Mike Power (143rd) - no games
1991 - Andrew Verner (34th), Evgeny Belosheiken (232nd) - no games
1992 - Joaquin Gage (109th) - 23 games!
1994 - Jeremy Jablonski (214th) - no games
1995 - Mike Minard (83rd) - 1 game!
1996 - John Hultberg (221st) - no games
1997 - Patrick Dovigi (41st) - no games
1998 - Kristian Antila (113rd), Mike Morrison (186th) - Morrison played 29 games.
1999 - Adam Hauser (81st) - 1 game (with the Kings)!

That's the Sather Era, Post-Fuhr netminders. 20 goalies, 83 NHL games. To be fair to Sather and Barry Fraser, they didn't really need much from them. They had All-Star netminding from Moog, Fuhr, Ranford, Joseph and Salo, so when were these guys going to play? As much as they always seemed to take a goalie in those drafts, they didn't burn many picks about 180 on them, so they weren't trying really hard to land a top notch guy. I imagine the only ones that were real disappointments were Verner and Dovigi.

I had a soft spot for Darryl Reaugh, but then I always seemed to have a bit of a soft spot for the backups: Reaugh, Passmore, Brathwaite, Takko...

Re: February 13 [message #777779 is a reply to message #776110 ]
Fri, 26 February 2021 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Don't forget the many shootout entrances of Mike Morrison. Only backup to sit the whole game on the bench and takeover for for the shootout.

February 14 [message #776126 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sun, 14 February 2021 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Just one Oiler alumnus with a Valentine's Day birthday. Unfortunately there's nothing to love about how his story ends.

Walt Poddubny
Born: February 14, 1960 in Thunder Bay, ON.
Position: Left Wing (shoots left)
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 90th overall, June 11, 1980.
Oilers Career: 1981-82: 4 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Toronto (with Phil Droulliard) for Laurie Boschman, March 9, 1982.
Died: March 21, 2009 (age 49) of a heart attack in Thunder Bay, ON.

Poddubny was an Oiler draft pick in 1980. After playing with the farm team in Wichita for a couple of years, he played four games for the Oilers in 1982. Since he was still a prospect and the Oilers were in "win now" mode he was deemed expendable, and they dealt him to Toronto for the more seasoned Laurie Boschman. Poddubny would put up some pretty good point totals with Toronto, but he really found his form later in his career with the Rangers when he would have back to back seasons of 87 and 88 points. After a productive season in Quebec, his career started to nosedive a bit as his knees started to give out. By 1992 he was out of the NHL. He went to Europe for a couple of years before finishing his career in the AHL in 1995. Poddubny went into coaching after his career; he was head coach of Anchorage in the WCHL for six years until 2002. Tragically, Poddubny died in 2009 at the age of 49 of a heart attack while visiting his sister in Thunder Bay. RIP Walt.

February 15 [message #776148 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Mon, 15 February 2021 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Five days after Dillon Simpson we get to talk about his dad on Family Day. How fitting.

Bruce Bell
Born: February 15, 1965 (turns 56 today) in Toronto, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, February 1, 1990.
Oilers Career: 1989-90: 1 game (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Minnesota for Kari Takko, November 22, 1990.

Bell had a tremendous start to his NHL career, being named to the NHL all rookie team in 1985 after getting 37 points as a rookie defenseman for Quebec in 84-85. His play quickly dropped off. His rookie season would be his apex, as his numbers quickly fell. He was passed to various teams and eventually found himself in the minors by 1988. The Oilers signed him as a free agent late in the 89-90 season. He spent that time in Cape Breton, getting in one game with the Oilers. This would be his final NHL game. The Oilers dealt him the following season for Kari Takko (thus creating the immortal Takko-Bell trade) and he spent the next eight years in the AHL, IHL, and European leagues before retiring in 1998. Since retirement, he has done some coaching as well as opened his own hockey school. Happy 56th Bruce.

Craig Simpson
Born: February 15, 1967 (turns 54 today) in London, ON.
Position: Right Wing (shoots right)
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Pittsburgh (with Dave Hannan, Chris Joseph, and Moe Mantha) for Paul Coffey, Dave Hunter, and Wayne Van Dorp, November 24,, 1987.
Oilers Career: 1987-88 to 1992-93: 419 games (67 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Traded to Buffalo for Josef Cierny and 4th round pick, September 1, 1993.

As a 2nd overall pick with Pittsburgh, Simpson was the main prize the Oilers got when they dealt Paul Coffey. He fit in beautifully, sliding on the right side with Messier and Anderson and getting 43 goals in 59 games in his first season with the team. He would continue to be one of the Oilers' scoring stars over the next several years. He lead the team in goals and points during the 1990 Stanley cup run. By 92-93 Simpson was one of the last remnants of the Oiler glory years still with the team. Following that disappointing season he was starting to have back issues and would be dealt to Buffalo for scraps. After two injury plagued seasons with the Sabres, he chose to retire in 1995. Since retirement Simpson is well known as a hockey broadcaster. He started out working Oiler regional games in 1998, before joining the Oilers as an assistant coach from 2003 to 2007. He went back into broadcasting and has been the primary colour man on HNIC since 2009, usually working with Jim Hughson. A happy 54th to Craig.

Re: February 15 [message #776166 is a reply to message #776148 ]
Mon, 15 February 2021 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

What a terrible trade that coffee to pens one was.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: February 15 [message #776173 is a reply to message #776166 ]
Mon, 15 February 2021 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Mon, 15 February 2021 16:55

What a terrible trade that coffee to pens one was.

Not at all. Coffey was holding out. They got Simpson, who as Benv stated was one of the best Oilers for 5 years, plus Joseph who wasn't great but contributed 200 games, plus Mantha who turned into Keith Acton, who turned into Dave Brown.

Granted, I'm biased against Coffey (I think he gave up as much as he got), but they got a ton of value for a guy who had a reputation for acting like a child when he didn't get his way.

Re: February 15 [message #776176 is a reply to message #776173 ]
Mon, 15 February 2021 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yeah and Coffey was my favorite oiler as a kid, I was a defenceman so I had dreams of scoring the way he did.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: February 15 [message #776177 is a reply to message #776176 ]
Mon, 15 February 2021 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So in my eyes no trade would have been good enough for him lol.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

February 16 [message #776325 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Tue, 16 February 2021 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

One late WHA goalie and our first GM to discuss--albeit an interim general manager/brother of superstar.

Ken Broderick
Born: February 16, 1942 in Toronto, ON.
Position: Goalie (catches right)
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, September 28, 1976.
Oilers Career: 1976-77 to 1977-78: 49 games (3 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Quebec (with Dave Inkpen, Warren Miller and Rick Morris) for Pierre Guite and Don McLeod, November 1977.
Died: March 13, 2016 (age 74) after a short illness in Niagara Falls, ON.

Broderick was a perennial minor league goalie who, when the Oilers signed him at the age of 34, had played only a handful of games in the NHL and tons more in the minor leagues. He was the Oilers main starter for the 76-77 season playing 40 games and 3 more in the playoffs. After 9 games with the Oilers the following year, the Oilers decided Dave Dryden would be their guy, and Broderick was part of a multi player deal with the Nordiques. He finished the season playing for Quebec and then retired in 1978. No info on what he did post career, but we know he passed away after an illness at the age of 74 in 2016. RIP Ken.

Keith Gretzky
Born: February 16, 1967 (turns 54 today) in Brantford, ON.
Oilers GM career: 2018-19: 32 games (0 playoff games).

Gretzky tried to carve himself a hockey career in the shadow of his brother. He had some good junior numbers, got drafted by the Sabres in 1985, but he couldn't quite crack the bigs, never playing a single NHL game. After bouncing around the minors, he decided to retire in 1993. He immediately went into coaching becoming an assistant and then a head coach in the WCHL. He then became a scout, first with Phoenix and then with Boston before being hired by the Oilers as their assistant GM in 2016. Which brings us to his inclusion here--he was named interim GM of the Oilers in January 2019 following the firing of Peter Chiarelli. Not much to report on what he did--trading Cam Talbot and getting Sam Gagner for Ryan Spooner was about the extent of his moves. With Holland being hired to start the 19-20 season, Gretzky was made the head of the Bakersfield operation, a job he continues today. A happy 54th to Keith.

A little off topic, I'd like to throw out a personal opinion. I've heard Wayne Gretzky on a couple of occasions lament the fact that his brothers Keith and Brent never got a fair shake at an NHL career because of their last name. Paraphrasing the Great One he said something like "if their names were Keith Smith and Brent Jones they would have had decent NHL careers. But because people expected them to be 'Gretzky' they never got a fair shake". i disagree with Wayne on this. I think if Keith and Brent had been able to be third or fourth line forwards in the NHL then they would have been. Their name would probably only help, as it would provide extra buzz and make them stand out a bit over an equal player who was Smith or Jones. Just curious what others think. Do you think having the Gretzky name would hurt or help if you're a borderline NHLer?

Re: February 16 [message #776326 is a reply to message #776325 ]
Tue, 16 February 2021 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

benv wrote on Tue, 16 February 2021 09:36

Do you think having the Gretzky name would hurt or help if you're a borderline NHLer?

We should ask Keegan Lowe.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: February 16 [message #776330 is a reply to message #776325 ]
Tue, 16 February 2021 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A little off topic, I'd like to throw out a personal opinion. I've heard Wayne Gretzky on a couple of occasions lament the fact that his brothers Keith and Brent never got a fair shake at an NHL career because of their last name. Paraphrasing the Great One he said something like "if their names were Keith Smith and Brent Jones they would have had decent NHL careers. But because people expected them to be 'Gretzky' they never got a fair shake". i disagree with Wayne on this. I think if Keith and Brent had been able to be third or fourth line forwards in the NHL then they would have been. Their name would probably only help, as it would provide extra buzz and make them stand out a bit over an equal player who was Smith or Jones. Just curious what others think. Do you think having the Gretzky name would hurt or help if you're a borderline NHLer?

I don't know if I agree with Wayne on this one either. Dennis Hull had a decent NHL career but wasn't a superstar. Marty Howe wasn't his brother or his dad and still played.

Neither Brent nor Keith had great numbers at any level. They were okay Junior players and then only meh in the minor leagues. There's nothing there that makes me think they should have gotten more of a shake.

Only thing I can maybe see is coaches treating them a little differently because of who their brother was - riding them a little more, etc. I have to think Walter probably did too to an extent. I've got the impression he was a bit of a hardass when it came to that sort of thing.

Re: February 16 [message #776334 is a reply to message #776325 ]
Tue, 16 February 2021 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

To be honest Keith was an OK player, but wasn't going to have an NHL career. He came over to the UK in 89/90 and played 14 games over here. At the time our league wasn't great, it was in a worse position than we are now league wise. I got to see one of his games over here, and he hardly stood out, even with the lesser quality of the UK trained players and low end imports we were bringing in. His performance stank of career minor league player.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

February 17 [message #776391 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Wed, 17 February 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Here are today's alumni:

Vladimir Vujtek
Born: February 17, 1972 (turns 49 today) in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Montreal (with Shayne Corson and Brent Gilchrist) for Vincent Damphousse and 4th round pick, August 27, 1992.
Oilers Career: 1992-93 to 1993-94: 70 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Tampa Bay (with 3rd round pick) for Brantt Myhres and 3rd round pick, July 16, 1997.

Vujtek was a hot prospect in the Habs' system the Oilers got as part of the Damphousse/Corson trade in 1992. After getting nearly two points a game in the WHL in 91-92, he had a bit of success with the Oilers during his two seasons here. He played 70 games and got 30 points with the Oilers, while playing another 50 games with Cape Breton. After spending the 94-95 in the minors he went to play in the Czech republic, though the Oilers held on to his NHL rights. They traded him to Tampa Bay in 1997 and he spent the rest of his career bouncing between the NHL, the AHL and the European leagues before retiring in 2007. Vujtek is currently working as a player agent for Eurohockey Services. Happy 49th Vladimir.

Todd Harvey
Born: February 17, 1975 (turns 46 today) in Hamilton, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, September 15, 2004.
Oilers Career: 2005-06: 63 games (10 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Retired in 2006.

Harvey was a top pick (9th overall) in the strong 1993 draft. A huge scorer in junior, he established himself in the NHL as more of a small, bottom six forward, playing with Dallas, the Rangers, and San Jose. The Oilers signed him a day before the 2004-05 lockout, and he finally made his Oiler debut the following season. He played 63 games with the Oilers plus 10 more in the playoffs during their Stanley Cup run season--mostly as their fourth line right wing. When the Oilers didn't re-sign him after the season, he chose to retire. He's kept himself busy since retiring, first becoming an assistant coach with Guelph in the OHL from 2012 to 2017, and then a scout with the Vancouver Canucks. He's currently the director of amateur scouting with the Canucks. A happy 46th to Todd.

Back with more tomorrow.

February 18 [message #776618 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Thu, 18 February 2021 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

A busy day for Oiler moms as we get four players born on February 18:

Andy Moog
Born: February 18, 1960 (turns 61 today) in Pentiction, BC.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 132nd overall, June 11, 1980.
Oilers Career: 1980-81 to 1986-87: 235 games (37 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Traded to Boston for Geoff Courtnall, Bill Ranford, and 2nd round pick, March 8, 1988.

Moog was a 6th round pick after having a mediocre junior career, but exploded on the scene with the Oilers immediately upon being drafted after being called up late in the season and getting all the playoff games in 1981, contributing to the Oilers famous 3 game upset-sweep of the Habs. He spent most of his second year in the minors, after newcomer Grant Fuhr took over the net and Moog faltered. In 82-83 things flipped again with Moog becoming the Oilers main starter (playing 50 games) after Fuhr faltered. For the next four years (starting in 83-84) Moog would split the net pretty evenly with Fuhr, but the latter generally got all the playoff starts. This started to irk Moog enough that he sat out in 1987 (playing in the Olympics) before finally forcing his trade to Boston. He was a regular starter the rest of his career and continued to come up against his old team. He played six years in Boston (losing to the Oilers in the finals in both 88 and 90), four more in Dallas (if you're too young to remember the cup days, your fondest memory of Moog is probably Marchant putting that game 7 OT winner behind him in 1997) and one in Montreal before he retired in 1998. Since retirement Moog has worked as a goaltending consultant, an NHL assistant coach (1 year with Dallas in 09-10), and is currently an on-air analyst with Fox Sports for Stars games. Happy 61st Andy.

Moe Lemay
Born: February 18, 1962 (turns 59 today) in Saskatoon, SK.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Vancouver for Raimo Summanen, March 10, 1987.
Oilers Career: 1986-87 to 1987-88: 14 games (9 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Traded to Boston for Alan May, March 8, 1988.

Lemay was a depth NHL forward the Oilers acquired at the 1987 trade deadline. He played 10 games for them that season plus nine more in the playoffs to get his name on the Stanley Cup. The next year he found himself in the minors for the most part, getting only 4 games in with the Oilers before they dealt him to Boston. After stints with the Bruins and Jets (again mostly in the minors) he tried his luck in Europe first in Austria for one year and then in Germany, where he spent ten years playing before retiring in 2000. No info on what he's been up to since; wherever you are Moe, have a happy 59th.

Martin Marincin
Born: February 18, 1992 (turns 29 today) in Kosice, Czechoslovakia
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 46th overall, June 26, 2010.
Oilers Career: 2013-14 to 2014-15: 85 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Traded to Toronto for Brad Ross and 4th round pick, June 27, 2015.

The Oilers drafted Marincin in the 2nd round of 2010 as a hulking defenseman with some offensive upside. They brought him along slowly until the 13-14 season when he was called up from OKC to the Oilers. He spent time in both Edmonton and OKC during both the 13-14 and 14-15 seasons, showing occasional promise as well as some warts. The Oilers deemed him expendable at the 2015 draft and he was shipped off to Toronto. He has been in Toronto's system for six years now, where he has continued to yo-yo between the Leafs and the Marlies, although he's had some injury issues the last few years. A happy 29th to Martin.

Slater Koekkoek
Born: February 18, 1994 (turns 27 today) in North Dundas, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, December 26, 2020.
Oilers Career: 2020-21 to present: 15 games and counting (0 playoff games)

Koekkoek was a 10th overall pick coming out of the OHL who has not yet been able to translate his junior success into the NHL as the Oilers are already his third team in his young career. He has been establishing himself in the NHL as a steady defensive defenseman, and started off well this season with the Oilers. He's been fighting to get in the line up lately, but time will tell what the rest of his Oiler career will bring. Regardless, I wish him a happy 27th birthday.

February 19 [message #776673 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Fri, 19 February 2021 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

A couple of defensemen on the agenda today:

Randy Gregg
Born: February 19, 1956 (turns 65 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, October 18, 1982.
Oilers Career: 1981-82 to 1989-90: 453 games (130 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Claimed on waivers by Vancouver, October 1, 1990.

Gregg planned on being a doctor rather than a professional hockey player, but he was just too good at the latter to pass it up. He was playing hockey at the UofA while getting his medical degree in the late 70s. He turned down a contract from the Rangers in 1980 to play for the Olympic team, followed by two years playing in Japan. At the age of 26 he finally made his NHL debut in the 1982 playoffs, signing with and playing in 4 games for the Oilers. He soon became a regular Oiler defenseman playing with them during their heydays from 82-83 to 89-90, contributing to all 5 Stanley Cups--though he did take a brief leave during the 87-88 season to play in the Olympics, before returning in time for the cup run that year. Gregg was picked up by the Canucks on waivers in 1990, but chose to retire. This lasted only one year as he came back for the 91-92 season with the Canucks, but that would be his last season. Following his retirement, Gregg settled in Edmonton, completing his residency and becoming a family physician, operating a sports medicine practice which he continues to this day. A very happy 65th to Randy.

Ryan Whitney
Born: February 19, 1983 (turns 38 today) in Boston, MA.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Anaheim (with 6th round pick) for Lubomir Visnovsky, March 3, 2010.
Oilers Career: 2009-10 to 2012-13: 139 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Florida, September 29, 2013.

Whitney was a top defenseman in the NHL with first Pittsburgh and then Anaheim when the Oilers acquired him at the 2010 trade deadline for Lubomir Visnovsky. When he arrived, he seemed like a breath of fresh air to a team in turmoil. He played the final 19 games of 09-10 and the first 35 of 10-11 and was phenomenal--I would say the best an Oiler d-man had been since Pronger--and really seemed to enjoy playing in Edmonton. But then he suffered a foot injury on December 28, 2010 and everything changed. He would miss the rest of the season and when he finally came back during the 11-12 season he seemed a shell of his former self. He played out that and the next season with the Oilers, but his diminished play caused the Oilers to let him walk as a free agent in 2013. He signed with Florida, but spent most of the year in the AHL. He tried one year in the KHL, and a quick look in Sweden, before deciding to retire in the fall of 2015. In his retirement, Whitney has worked as an analyst with the NHL network, as well as running his own popular "Spittin' Chiclets" podcast. Happy 38th Ryan.

A lack of February 20 birthdays means there will be nothing to report tomorrow, but be sure to return on Sunday for more Oiler history.

February 21 [message #777152 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sun, 21 February 2021 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Here are today's alumni:

Bill Evo
Born: February 21, 1954 (turns 67 today) in Royal Oak, Michigan.
Position: Center (shoots left)
Acquired by Oilers: Claimed in WHA dispersal draft, June 19, 1975.
Oilers Career: 1975-76: 8 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Traded to Cleveland (with futures) for Wayne Muloin, January 4, 1976.

Evo was a defensive center with a bit of offense who never played in the NHL but managed 97 games in the WHA. Eight of those games were with the Oilers in 75-76 when he managed 4 assists. They got him at the start of the year in the dispersal draft when the Baltimore Blades folded. They traded him halfway through the season to Cleveland. After finishing the season with the Crusaders he sat out 76-77 and then played two years in the Pacific Hockey League before retiring in 1979. After retiring, Evo got his law degree and has worked as a lawyer. He was also briefly (for one season in 95-96) president of the Detroit Red Wings. A happy 67th to Bill.

Larry Melnyk
Born: February 21, 1960 (turns 61 today) in New Westminster, BC.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Boston for John Blum, March 6, 1984.
Oilers Career: 1983-84 to 1985-86: 34 games (18 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to NY Rangers (with Todd Strueby) for Mike Rogers, December 20, 1985.

Melnyk was a defenseman the Oilers acquired in 1984 after four season in the Bruins organization where he was a bubble guy, playing in both the NHL and the minors. He made his Oiler debut playing 6 games in the playoffs in 1984. The next year he would split time in both Edmonton and Nova Scotia, but was again up with the big team for the playoffs and played 12 games in the Oilers 85 cup win. He only played 6 games in 85-86 before being dealt to the Rangers. He never played in the minors again, finishing his career with the Rangers and Canucks before retiring in 1990. Don't know what he's been up to since, but I'll wish him a happy 61st.

Ryan Smyth
Born: February 21, 1976 (turns 45 today) in Banff, AB.
Position: Left Wing (shoots left).
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 6th overall, June 28, 1994.
Oilers Career: 1995-96 to 2006-07; 2011-12 to 2013-14: 971 games (68 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to NY Islanders for Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Marra and 1st round pick, February 27, 2007.
Reacquired by Oilers: Traded by Los Angeles for Colin Fraser and 7th round pick, June 26, 2011.
Left Oilers for good: Retired in 2014.

You probably don't need me to say much about Ryan Smyth. He played a total of 15 season over two different stints with the Oilers and is second in all time games played for the team behind only Kevin Lowe. He was a big part of the gritty late 90s, early 2000s teams that had to scratch for every win they got, consistently being among the top point and goal getters on those teams. He was also a big part of the 2006 Stanley Cup drive. No one seemed to love being an Oiler more than Smyth and he was (and still is) beloved by the fans--everyone remembers the tears when he was dealt to the Islanders in 2007 after a contract stand-off. His return in 2011 was met with joy by most Oiler fans (although I've always wondered if he regrets demanding a trade back to Edmonton, considering the Kings would go on to win the cup that year) and while past his prime, he had three more seasons with the team before hanging things up in 2014. Since retirement, Smyth has settled in Edmonton with his family. A very happy 45th to him.

Jim Vandermeer
Born: February 21, 1980 (turns 41 today) in Caroline, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Phoenix for Patrick O'Sullivan, June 30, 2010.
Oilers Career: 2010-11: 62 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by San Jose, July 1, 2011.

Vandermeer was an undrafted defenseman who put up points in the WHL, but had to battle for his place in the NHL. After a couple of years in the AHL he established himself as a full time NHL defenseman starting in 05-06. He came to the Oilers for the 2010-11 seson and played 62 games on a team that admittedly was not strong on the back end. This would be his only season in Edmonton as he signed with San Jose the following year. After just one season with the Sharks his NHL career was over and after a season in the AHL he finished his career in Europe before retiring in 2019. He lives with his wife and family in Vancouver. A happy 41st to Jim.

Back tomorrow for more.

Re: February 21 [message #777181 is a reply to message #777152 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Vandermeer will always be the guy who gave Eberle the puck for his first NHL goal though! weights

February 22 [message #777180 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

One ex and one current Oiler celebrating their birthdays today:

Dominic Roussel
Born: February 22, 1970 (turns 51 today) in Hull, QU.
Acquired by Oilers: Claimed on waivers from Anaheim, January 10, 2001.
Oilers Career: 2000-01: 8 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Not re-signed after 2000-01 season.

Roussel was either a backup in the NHL or starter in the minors for most of his career (although he was the starter for the Flyers for two years). He was already past his prime when the Oilers plucked him off waivers in January 2001 to backup Tommy Salo after Joaquin Gage's performance in that role had been deemed subpar. Roussel only played 8 games that year (Salo was quite the workhorse) and the Oilers let him walk after the season (they wanted to try the younger Conklin and Markkanen to audition for the backup). He tried a year in Europe, and then retired in 2003. Since retiring, Roussel founded his own private goalie training company in Quebec. A happy 51st to him.

William Lagesson
Born: February 22, 1996 (turns 25 today) in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Position: Defenseman (shoots left).
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 91st overall, June 28, 2014.
Oilers Career: 2019-20 to present: 16 games and counting (0 playoff games).

Lagesson was a 4th round pick for the Oilers in 2014 and could hopefully turn into that rare breed for these modern Oilers--a later round pick that turns into a bona fide NHLer. He's been brought up slowly by the team, playing in Sweden until 18-19, when he spent the entire season in Bakersfield. He got in his first 8 games with the Oilers in 19-20, and played another 8 this year before getting injured a week ago as of this writing. It remains to be seen how many games he'll play with the big club, but let's hope for the best and wish William a happy 25th.

With no alumni born on February 23, we're off tomorrow, so look for more in this thread on Wednesday.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 February 2021 09:54]

February 24 [message #777435 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

After nobody yesterday we return today with... well two guys with a total of ten games played. Only the oldest and most hard core has a hope of remembering these guys.

Don Cutts
Born: February 24, 1956 (turns 65 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, January 12, 1980.
Oilers Career: 1979-80: 6 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Not re-signed by Oilers following 79-80 season.

Cutts was a longtime minor league goalie who had spent his entire career in the minors when the Oilers signed him during their inaugural NHL season. He was one of six goalies they tried that year, playing six games for the team (the only six he would play in the majors) winning only one. In his autobiography, Gretzky mentioned he was nicknamed "Blinky" because he would blink his eyes every second when you talked to him--wonder if that affected his ability to see the puck. The Oilers cut him loose after the season and he played a year in Finland and one more in IHL before retiring in 1982. No info on what he's been up to since--wish him a happy 65th wherever he is.

Jeff Brubaker
Born: February 24, 1958 (turns 63 today) in Hagerstown, Maryland.
Acquired by Oilers: Claimed on waivers from Toronto, December 5, 1985.
Oilers Career: 1985-86: 4 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Philadelphia for Dom Campedelli, March 9, 1987.

Brubaker was an enforcer type forward with an interesting career. His entire career he bounced up and down between the WHA/NHL and the minor leagues. While in the minors he would actually get points in addition to PIMS, but while in the NHL he was generally an enforcer with minimal point totals (but lots of PIMS). By the time the Oilers signed him in 1985, he had already been with the Whalers, Canadiens, Flames, and Leafs. The Oilers acquired him hoping he could help with team toughness, with Dave Semenko aging. He would only get in four games with the big team, spending the rest of the time in the minors, before being dealt to the Flyers (Marty McSorley likely made him redundant). He hung around another two years before retiring in 1989. Post career he became a head coach in the ECHL, IHL, and SPHL which he did off and on from 1989 to 2005. A happy 63rd to Jeff.

February 25 [message #777514 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Thu, 25 February 2021 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Another day another Oiler alumnus birthday to celebrate:

Troy Mallette
Born: February 25, 1970 (turns 51 today) in Sudbury, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Received from NY Rangers as compensation for signing of RFA Adam Graves, September 3, 1991.
Oilers Career: 1991-92: 15 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Traded to New Jersey for Dave Maley, January 12, 1992.

Mallette was a defensive forward who had the misfortune of being the compensation awarded to the Oilers when the Rangers signed Oiler RFA Adam Graves in 1991. While Graves would go on to play 10 seasons and score 50 goals in a season for the Rangers, Mallette played only 15 games for the Oilers and was never a favourite of coach Ted Green. They would deal him to the Devils half way through the season for tough guy Dave Maley. Mallette would continue his career through the Devils, Senators, Bruins, and finally the Lightning where he suffered a career ending back injury after only 3 games in October 1997. After retiring. Mallette returned to his hometown of Sudbury where he raised a family and became a firefighter. A happy 51st to him.

Re: February 25 [message #777517 is a reply to message #777514 ]
Thu, 25 February 2021 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 25 February 2021 09:53

Another day another Oiler alumnus birthday to celebrate:

Troy Mallette
Born: February 25, 1970 (turns 51 today) in Sudbury, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Received from NY Rangers as compensation for signing of RFA Adam Graves, September 3, 1991.
Oilers Career: 1991-92: 15 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Traded to New Jersey for Dave Maley, January 12, 1992.

Mallette was a defensive forward who had the misfortune of being the compensation awarded to the Oilers when the Rangers signed Oiler RFA Adam Graves in 1991. While Graves would go on to play 10 seasons and score 50 goals in a season for the Rangers, Mallette played only 15 games for the Oilers and was never a favourite of coach Ted Green. They would deal him to the Devils half way through the season for tough guy Dave Maley. Mallette would continue his career through the Devils, Senators, Bruins, and finally the Lightning where he suffered a career ending back injury after only 3 games in October 1997. After retiring. Mallette returned to his hometown of Sudbury where he raised a family and became a firefighter. A happy 51st to him.

What a broken compensation model that was - I think the Oilers did as poorly as anyone in that model. The Blues lost Scott Stevens and got back Brendan Shanahan as compensation...meanwhile we lose Graves and just get back Mallette. Maley a further downgrade and I think he left ultimately for nothing, so a year later we had zilch from that, while the Rangers had a very effective player in Graves.

Pages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #36)
Next Topic:Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #35)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca