This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign G Anton ForsbergPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772583 is a reply to message #772579 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 11:08

Has it gotten out what happened to Smith?

He went from on the bench night 1, to I think it was announced mid afternoon the next day he was out for his start. So maybe 16-17 hours? I think it got out that night or maybe in the morning so maybe 36 hours after the night 1 game, he's on LTIR for almost a month. It was back to back games so there wasn't a practice and I think only a handful of guys did the morning skate and pretty much no one who played did. So he got a significant enough injury where he misses almost a month without setting foot on the ice. He probably didn't even do much of a workout if at all because he was supposed to play so you wouldn't want to use up energy on game day.

So what happened? I am a couple years older than Smith and have kids 10 and under so similar to him and I tried to think what could happen to me that could take me out like that. So other than doing something stupid like getting drunk and falling off something which I can't see a married, pushing 40, father of young kids, the night before a game doing. We are talking slipping on ice walking to the car, slamming your hand in a car door. Maybe wrestling with kids and they drop a knee in your back.

Just bizarre to me.

Smith saw how our defense played in game 1 and decided to fall down some stairs later that night? :)

I'd bet he tweaked something in practice or training. This season has started in a hurry. Can't be easy for all the old guys.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772587 is a reply to message #772583 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 11:47

He went from on the bench night 1, to I think it was announced mid afternoon the next day he was out for his start. So maybe 16-17 hours? I think it got out that night or maybe in the morning so maybe 36 hours after the night 1 game, he's on LTIR for almost a month. It was back to back games so there wasn't a practice and I think only a handful of guys did the morning skate and pretty much no one who played did. So he got a significant enough injury where he misses almost a month without setting foot on the ice. He probably didn't even do much of a workout if at all because he was supposed to play so you wouldn't want to use up energy on game day.

So what happened? I am a couple years older than Smith and have kids 10 and under so similar to him and I tried to think what could happen to me that could take me out like that. So other than doing something stupid like getting drunk and falling off something which I can't see a married, pushing 40, father of young kids, the night before a game doing. We are talking slipping on ice walking to the car, slamming your hand in a car door. Maybe wrestling with kids and they drop a knee in your back.

Just bizarre to me.

Smith saw how our defense played in game 1 and decided to fall down some stairs later that night? :)

I'd bet he tweaked something in practice or training. This season has started in a hurry. Can't be easy for all the old guys.

When? Like I said, he was on the bench night 1 so I assume he was healthy. It was back to back games, he was the starter in the morning. There was no practice nor did he or pretty much anyone who played did the morning skate. By mid afternoon he was out. The game was done by what, 10:30 pm. So he was healthy enough then and by 2 in the afternoon he was out. So that's what 16 hours with no time on ice. Do they even train on game days? I can't see them doing much other than stretching because you wouldn't want to exert any energy on a game day.

So I guess he would have pulled something stretching but if that's a case, if a guy can't even stretch without pulling a muscle, that's a big freaking problem.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772588 is a reply to message #772587 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 12:00

Just bizarre to me.

When? Like I said, he was on the bench night 1 so I assume he was healthy. It was back to back games, he was the starter in the morning. There was no practice nor did he or pretty much anyone who played did the morning skate. By mid afternoon he was out. The game was done by what, 10:30 pm. So he was healthy enough then and by 2 in the afternoon he was out. So that's what 16 hours with no time on ice. Do they even train on game days? I can't see them doing much other than stretching because you wouldn't want to exert any energy on a game day.

So I guess he would have pulled something stretching but if that's a case, if a guy can't even stretch without pulling a muscle, that's a big freaking problem.

I wonder how hard he trained in the off-season. He got another contract basically by default.

It all just seems oddly deserved because of how lazy we were about fixing our goalie situation.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772590 is a reply to message #772588 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 13:02

Just bizarre to me.

I wonder how hard he trained in the off-season. He got another contract basically by default.

It all just seems oddly deserved because of how lazy we were about fixing our goalie situation.

Lazy?! Erroneous!! Erroneous!!!!! Ken and Co offered max term and 6 mil at Markstrom, then offered 3M and multi years at Korpisalo! It’s not Ken’s fault they took other deals elsewhere. The house of cards fell the second Markstrom took his time to decide Calgary while the lesser options left the table.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772593 is a reply to message #772590 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 12:07

Just bizarre to me.

Lazy?! Erroneous!! Erroneous!!!!! Ken and Co offered max term and 6 mil at Markstrom, then offered 3M and multi years at Korpisalo! It’s not Ken’s fault they took other deals elsewhere. The house of cards fell the second Markstrom took his time to decide Calgary while the lesser options left the table.

What that Korpisalo thing real? Wasn't he RFA?

Yeah, guess we did do the usual Oilers thing, throwing money at a UFA that played the best most recently that everyone else was trying to get too. One day maybe we actually need to scout and do trades for someone that isn't already going to be a cap headache. Maybe next year. Unless Smith still thinks he has another year in him. Then the year after next.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772594 is a reply to message #772593 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 13:11

Just bizarre to me.

Yeah, guess we did do the usual Oilers thing, throwing money at a UFA that played the best most recently that everyone else was trying to get too. One day maybe we actually need to scout and do trades for someone that isn't already going to be a cap headache. Maybe next year. Unless Smith still thinks he has another year in him. Then the year after next.

I’m literally just blowing smoke to take the heat off Ken, don’t fact check me haha. They had their eyes set on the BIG PRIZE and didn’t seem to have a backup plan for the inevitable.

It was Griess! Not Korpisalo.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 January 2021 12:17]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772598 is a reply to message #772594 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 12:15

Just bizarre to me.

I’m literally just blowing smoke to take the heat off Ken, don’t fact check me haha. They had their eyes set on the BIG PRIZE and didn’t seem to have a backup plan for the inevitable.

Ahh yes, I remember the Griess one.

Ugh. I'm realizing I don't know who to be mad at about our terrible goalie scouting. Has anyone ever been singled out as most responsible for how all we seem to do for goaltending is try to sign UFA's?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772601 is a reply to message #772598 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 11:58

Just bizarre to me.

Ugh. I'm realizing I don't know who to be mad at about our terrible goalie scouting. Has anyone ever been singled out as most responsible for how all we seem to do for goaltending is try to sign UFA's?

Literally every goal he let in was Griessy..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772604 is a reply to message #772601 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 14:09

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 11:58

Just bizarre to me.

Literally every goal he let in was Griessy..

I feel like we lost out on a Principe special with Greiss, as our defensive game and goals against would be a Greiss fire.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772603 is a reply to message #772587 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Just bizarre to me.

Story of my life after 40.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772606 is a reply to message #772603 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 13:16

Just bizarre to me.

I am over 40 as well. I am in OK shape but not pro athlete shape but I can walk around and not hurt myself.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772607 is a reply to message #772606 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 14:26

Just bizarre to me.

I am over 40 as well. I am in OK shape but not pro athlete shape but I can walk around and not hurt myself.

Heck I’m 32, have played soccer since I was 4, I’m not in pro athlete shape but some days I just roll out of bed and need to go on the IR.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772618 is a reply to message #772607 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 13:33

Just bizarre to me.

Heck I’m 32, have played soccer since I was 4, I’m not in pro athlete shape but some days I just roll out of bed and need to go on the IR.

I would say I am in above average shape, but I can put my my body out of whack by bending over too quickly. Age and intense physical activity catches up with the body. The more I rest now, the better I am. Might be Mike Smith training like he's 25 instead of his actual age.

Tough to avoid. Competitive nature wants me to keep running with the 25 years olds, but that usually means I am on the shelf shortly after. I see Mike Smith and see a competitive guy. Most athletes don't translate well after 35. I don't blame him, but this was a dropped ball by Holland. It was to be expected.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772620 is a reply to message #772618 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 14:32

Just bizarre to me.

I would say I am in above average shape, but I can put my my body out of whack by bending over too quickly. Age and intense physical activity catches up with the body. The more I rest now, the better I am. Might be Mike Smith training like he's 25 instead of his actual age.

Tough to avoid. Competitive nature wants me to keep running with the 25 years olds, but that usually means I am on the shelf shortly after. I see Mike Smith and see a competitive guy. Most athletes don't translate well after 35. I don't blame him, but this was a dropped ball by Holland. It was to be expected.

The ultimate fault is on the team for not deciding to keep 3 goalies on the roster. Normally keeping 3 goalies on your roster is a bad idea but this isn't normal times. I do think the NHL screwed the pooch on not adjusting the rules to allow for a 3rd goalie to not count as a roster spot. This is not a normal year so keeping the rules the same doesn't make sense to me. But the NHL didn't so GM's should have adjusted how they operate.

Kevin Woodley on Gregor's show said the same thing that this is a mistake on the leagues part to making to so your 3rd guy had to pass through waivers. A jerk team like Carolina set this in motion by doing it as a paper transaction as they had no intention of keeping forsberg. Not only is it making it difficult for teams but these are people and they are getting jerked around because of it. Gregor raised the point that maybe the PA would object because if you keep a guy as your 3, maybe it restricts opportunity to other teams. Woodley countered that the PA's main concern is making sure there members get paid. So if you made it so teams had to pay NHL salaries, the PA wouldn't object.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772621 is a reply to message #772620 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 14:57

Just bizarre to me.

The ultimate fault is on the team for not deciding to keep 3 goalies on the roster. Normally keeping 3 goalies on your roster is a bad idea but this isn't normal times. I do think the NHL screwed the pooch on not adjusting the rules to allow for a 3rd goalie to not count as a roster spot. This is not a normal year so keeping the rules the same doesn't make sense to me. But the NHL didn't so GM's should have adjusted how they operate.

Kevin Woodley on Gregor's show said the same thing that this is a mistake on the leagues part to making to so your 3rd guy had to pass through waivers. A jerk team like Carolina set this in motion by doing it as a paper transaction as they had no intention of keeping forsberg. Not only is it making it difficult for teams but these are people and they are getting jerked around because of it. Gregor raised the point that maybe the PA would object because if you keep a guy as your 3, maybe it restricts opportunity to other teams. Woodley countered that the PA's main concern is making sure there members get paid. So if you made it so teams had to pay NHL salaries, the PA wouldn't object.

That and bringing back an ancient Mike Smith.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772624 is a reply to message #772621 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 15:06

Just bizarre to me.

I am not going to get into a debate about the Smith signing. He wasn't my first choice but at the same time, I wasn't a fan of paying what people consider good back ups were making this offseason. I wasn't cool with paying 3.6 mill which is what Griess signed for on the worst team in the league. Or 3.66 for Talbot. You 3.9 for Crawford, 4.3 for Holtby. That's what it cost to sign the guys that made it to market.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772637 is a reply to message #772624 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 15:14

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 15:06

Just bizarre to me.

I am not going to get into a debate about the Smith signing. He wasn't my first choice but at the same time, I wasn't a fan of paying what people consider good back ups were making this offseason. I wasn't cool with paying 3.6 mill which is what Griess signed for on the worst team in the league. Or 3.66 for Talbot. You 3.9 for Crawford, 4.3 for Holtby. That's what it cost to sign the guys that made it to market.

With a time machine and hindsight, Can Talbot is still the best Oiler goalie in recent memory. Too bad Chia locked us in on Koskinen.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772638 is a reply to message #772637 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 17:37

With a time machine and hindsight, Can Talbot is still the best Oiler goalie in recent memory. Too bad Chia locked us in on Koskinen.

Absolutely, though I also remember our pitchfork media members souring on him. I think.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772639 is a reply to message #772638 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 17:15

Absolutely, though I also remember our pitchfork media members souring on him. I think.

Lots in here too.

Worth remembering that Talbot, despite a miserable start to his last season in Edmonton, had better stats than Koskinen in their last month together. The Oilers bizarrely let Chiarelli sign a goalie long-term in his last week in the position, and then traded Talbot straight up for a backup they didn't use and didn't try to keep for no good reason despite the fact he was the better goalie.

The thing that I find challenging is that Koskinen is only marginally younger, and didn't have much of a track record before that season, and even in that season started hot but was struggling when he was signed to the extension.

All that is old mistakes though. I'm more concerned with Holland twice choosing Mike Smith as his guy in the two years he's been here. Looking at his history as a GM, Holland hasn't often put much stake in having a high end goalie. I think that could be an issue - because mediocre goalies could squander seasons for us during what should be our window (read: NOW).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772644 is a reply to message #772639 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 18:34

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 17:15

Lots in here too.

Worth remembering that Talbot, despite a miserable start to his last season in Edmonton, had better stats than Koskinen in their last month together. The Oilers bizarrely let Chiarelli sign a goalie long-term in his last week in the position, and then traded Talbot straight up for a backup they didn't use and didn't try to keep for no good reason despite the fact he was the better goalie.

The thing that I find challenging is that Koskinen is only marginally younger, and didn't have much of a track record before that season, and even in that season started hot but was struggling when he was signed to the extension.

All that is old mistakes though. I'm more concerned with Holland twice choosing Mike Smith as his guy in the two years he's been here. Looking at his history as a GM, Holland hasn't often put much stake in having a high end goalie. I think that could be an issue - because mediocre goalies could squander seasons for us during what should be our window (read: NOW).

I’m inclined to believe Tippett is a key cog in the Mike Smith as an Oiler experience.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #779888 is a reply to message #772644 ]
Wed, 17 March 2021 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Forsberg on the move again - this time to Ottawa. What a magical adventure he's having this year!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772641 is a reply to message #772552 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 10:01

Devils claimed Dell

Kinda weird. Can't remember ever feeling like a season got more out of reach because we missed out on a waiver pickup before.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #772642 is a reply to message #772641 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 18:02

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 10:01

Devils claimed Dell

Kinda weird. Can't remember ever feeling like a season got more out of reach because we missed out on a waiver pickup before.

That's a really good point. In a short and compressed season Holland really put the Oilers behind the 8-ball by trying to slide a goalie through waivers / not have 3 on the roster. If Koskinen can't carry the Oilers for the next couple of weeks Edmonton could be done. Potentially huge management blunder.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #779970 is a reply to message #768043 ]
Wed, 17 March 2021 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Guy should get a $30K moving bonus every time he has to move franchises..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #780298 is a reply to message #779970 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

TSN 1200 @TSN1200
Anton Forsberg is on the ice for Sens practice today. He is alowed to practice and play because he has had 4 negative tests and was chartered from Winnipeg to Ottawa and that is considered a bubble to bubble transfer.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-27-2016/4UZwk0.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #780356 is a reply to message #780298 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 10:14

TSN 1200 @TSN1200
Anton Forsberg is on the ice for Sens practice today. He is alowed to practice and play because he has had 4 negative tests and was chartered from Winnipeg to Ottawa and that is considered a bubble to bubble transfer.

All that travel finally paying off. He's now found his time to shine!

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #780432 is a reply to message #780356 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 16:01

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 10:14

TSN 1200 @TSN1200

All that travel finally paying off. He's now found his time to shine!

And he actually plays a game and is named first star. Albeit in the AHL.

https://theahl.com/stats/game-center/1022556

33 saves on 34 shots.

Re: Oilers sign G Anton Forsberg [message #780434 is a reply to message #780432 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 20:05 Go to previous message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

What a year for him, all of this cant ve easy mentally or physically

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #34)
Next Topic:GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #33)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca