This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86)Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765059]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:15 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Chicago to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765069 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

You know, it's a good thing that the Oil had to face the Hawks in this short playoff run. They got to see first-hand what a team with experience at winning looks and plays like. Hopefully, Holland also got a first-hand look at exactly what holes need to be filled if this team will become any sort of threat next season....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765071 is a reply to message #765069 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 18:28

You know, it's a good thing that the Oil had to face the Hawks in this short playoff run. They got to see first-hand what a team with experience at winning looks and plays like. Hopefully, Holland also got a first-hand look at exactly what holes need to be filled if this team will become any sort of threat next season....

Holes? This team is like swiss cheese.. I think Holland doesn't know what to do now, he actually thought he had decent defensemen.. this bunch can't even cover an open man in front of the net.. basic Defense 101.. I think a job is open for either Bouchard or Broberg come camp

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765074 is a reply to message #765071 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 19:31

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 18:28

Holes? This team is like swiss cheese.. I think Holland doesn't know what to do now, he actually thought he had decent defensemen.. this bunch can't even cover an open man in front of the net.. basic Defense 101.. I think a job is open for either Bouchard or Broberg come camp

I really hope that Bouchard is ready to step up next season, as he will go a long way towards bolstering the Oil's blue-line corps. The next major hole are some forwards who can actually score so that Connor isn't basically playing on his own during most shifts when he's not on a line with Drai and Nuge. AA and Kassian should never be his linemates on an ideal Cup-contending team....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765077 is a reply to message #765074 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

That was an incredibly disappointing series by the Oilers. The Hawks by a very far wide margin deserved to advance.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765072 is a reply to message #765069 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

This team man.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765076 is a reply to message #765072 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

We asked for disciple and got it, till that moment of madness. Crawford stole this one for them, but that's what champions do.

At the start of the season had you told me that we'd be going to the play offs I'd have questioned your sanity. Had it not been for exceptional circumstances we'd have made the show. This team has come on leaps and bounds from last year, more of the same next season and we will be beyond the first round for sure.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765121 is a reply to message #765076 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Leia wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 19:37

We asked for disciple and got it, till that moment of madness. Crawford stole this one for them, but that's what champions do.

At the start of the season had you told me that we'd be going to the play offs I'd have questioned your sanity. Had it not been for exceptional circumstances we'd have made the show. This team has come on leaps and bounds from last year, more of the same next season and we will be beyond the first round for sure.

I needed to hear/read something like this. This series sucked the fun out of hockey for me. I hope the world gets its crap together so we can see some great hockey next December.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765073 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Experience matters.....wow great play by Chicago, they earned full Mark's in this win, Crawford was absolutely the first star of this game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765075 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Not what I envisioned for this series. Another in a line of disappointments, provided by this organization.

Does not bode well, given the economy here, I don't see ticket sales at top dollar to Oilers games being strong at all when fans are in the building again.

Definite shortcomings here on D and in terms of goaltending that can win you hockey games like Crawford just did for Chicago. I also think Tip has to look himself in the mirror in terms of messing with winning line combos in the top 6. Removing Nuge from the 2nd line was unnecessary.

Bitter pill, will not likely watch another minute of this shat, do not give a damn about any remaining teams.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765078 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Not sure why it took Tippett until the last 5 minutes of the season to reunite RNH/Draisaitl/Yamamoto, they created 2 amazing chances right away. Frig.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765079 is a reply to message #765078 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 19:41

Not sure why it took Tippett until the last 5 minutes of the season to reunite RNH/Draisaitl/Yamamoto, they created 2 amazing chances right away. Frig.

100%

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765080 is a reply to message #765078 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

One of the great mysteries of the series. McDavid line really didn't change much depending on his wingers. Always just McDavid doing stuff and guys trying to keep up. Drai line is very different without nuge there too.

Other mystery is playing Smith in game one that almost immediately gives Chicago a free goal.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765087 is a reply to message #765078 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Two big things in this:

- we got out-goaltended. Smith was atrocious, and Koskinen was not atrocious, but not good enough. Crawford struggled until the last game but stole one for them. Koskinen failed to do that. The Oilers deserved better out of the last two games but goalies were a difference.

- we got out-coached. I didn't see a lot of adjustments from Tippett. The same things that worked for Chicago in Game 1 were still working in Game 4. Meanwhile Colitton made adjustments including amping up the pressure on their PK that paid dividends and took away some of the Oilers advantages.

We seemed to struggle with the forechecking pressure all series and failed to complete passes. Tonight it was staggering how many passes didn't connect and how often we just gave the puck away as a result.

The Oilers still probably should have won tonight's game. It's pretty disappointing.

I really hope I win that 50/50 tonight and maybe it won't sting so much. (Also Lafreniere next week).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765081 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Just terrible.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765082 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Hi Razza

Also, how many more years is Kassian signed for?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765083 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Say goodbye to Sheahan.. UFA he's done..

Nobody needing a contract gets a premium after this debacle..
AA doesn't get a Qualifying offer, he goes to arbitration, low balled, then likely traded
E. Bear gets low ball
Benning gets low ball, although he played better than Larsson

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765084 is a reply to message #765083 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 19:56

AA doesn't get a Qualifying offer, he goes to arbitration, low balled, then likely traded
E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

I think you can add nurse to that list. I’m not sure he’s the guy.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765086 is a reply to message #765084 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 19:06

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

I’m a huge Nurse fan, but was he disappointing this series. Dmen take longer to mature. I’m keeping an eye on his maturation this next season.

All the tools, but needs to settle everything down and be more consistent.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765101 is a reply to message #765086 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 20:14

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

I’m a huge Nurse fan, but was he disappointing this series. Dmen take longer to mature. I’m keeping an eye on his maturation this next season.

You’re probably right. I just keep waiting for something big to happen, but I’m so frequently disappointed. Stupid cyclical game

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765103 is a reply to message #765101 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 21:24

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

You’re probably right. I just keep waiting for something big to happen, but I’m so frequently disappointed. Stupid cyclical game

If something big or highlight reel happens with a D man it’s usually a negative.

Nurse needs to start playing more efficiently, proactive not reactive.

He won’t be a game breaker like Pronger. But he can play a smart tough game in his end and make better decisions with the puck.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765109 is a reply to message #765103 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 22:38

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

If something big or highlight reel happens with a D man it’s usually a negative.

He won’t be a game breaker like Pronger. But he can play a smart tough game in his end and make better decisions with the puck.

I’m expecting something more like peak jason smith. Mostly steady, tough, and the odd dumb penalty. I’ll keep waiting.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765114 is a reply to message #765109 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 23:51

nullterm wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 22:38

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

I’m expecting something more like peak jason smith. Mostly steady, tough, and the odd dumb penalty. I’ll keep waiting.

Unfortunately I agree with you. I used to be so high on Nurse, now I question if the right move is to move him this summer/off season while his value is high. I think Bouchard and Broberg are both likely to surpass him. He has flashes of brilliance but isn't as reliable as say Klefbom.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765124 is a reply to message #765114 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Pffffffttttt... Klefbom? Oscar had a terrible series. Out of position right from the beginning of the first game where he and Larsson gave up two odd man rushes in the first minute.

I'm so over Klefbom. Dude thinks he's so much better than he is, never admits that he made mistakes. No thanks.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765088 is a reply to message #765084 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 20:06

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

Not a great series. Looked horrible on the second goal tonight.

A real goalie is tops on my wish list for the off-season though. Defence, and depth forwards could definitely use an upgrade too - but none of that matters if the goalies can't stop a damn puck.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765090 is a reply to message #765088 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 20:17

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

A real goalie is tops on my wish list for the off-season though. Defence, and depth forwards could definitely use an upgrade too - but none of that matters if the goalies can't stop a damn puck.

Could Rodrigue be a possible solution next season?

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765092 is a reply to message #765090 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 20:27

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. He under-sized (at 6'1 - how things have changed) and he hasn't played a single pro game yet. It's also hard to judge a junior goalie on a really good team. He was 31-7-1 with a .918 save percentage this year, but the other two goalies weren't much worse - 19-6-0 with .917 save percentage between them.

So is he a stud? Or is he just playing on a really good team?

I'd prefer to see us try to get someone a little more established.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765115 is a reply to message #765092 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 20:33

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 20:27

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. He under-sized (at 6'1 - how things have changed) and he hasn't played a single pro game yet. It's also hard to judge a junior goalie on a really good team. He was 31-7-1 with a .918 save percentage this year, but the other two goalies weren't much worse - 19-6-0 with .917 save percentage between them.

So is he a stud? Or is he just playing on a really good team?

I'd prefer to see us try to get someone a little more established.

Devils advocate here, with the exception of game 4, Koskinen outplayed Crawford. Crawford had a 3.5 GAA and 0.870 SV% before this game.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765125 is a reply to message #765115 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Yeah, I don't know how much of this I would put on Koski...

The Oilers played horrid D in front of him. Sure, it would have been nice to have a couple of out of this world saves, however that's not Koskinen. Put him behind a nice D corps and he's be a steady, consistent goalie.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765098 is a reply to message #765084 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

E. Bear gets low ball

Possible Trades
Chiasson
Kassian
Larsson
Benning
AA

UFAs

- Riley Sheahan: I'd bring back Sheahan if his ask goes down to reflect that of a 4C and not a 3C. The Oilesr need a 3C, and Sheahan is not it.

- Tyle Ennis: Re-sign. Liked what he added. Oilers missed it today.

- Patrick Russell: Don't re-sign.

- Mike Smith: Don't re-sign.

- Mike Green: Don't re-sign, unless he is a cheap seventh defenseman.

- The rest: Consider signing Josh Currie & Tomas Jurco for veteran depth. Do not sign Brandan Manning, Keegan Lowe, Marcus Granlund, or Shane Starrett.

RFAs

- Andreas Athanasiou: I think I try to take AA to arbitration; I believe you can shave down salary there, no? I still don't know where he fits exactly as he hasn't really gelled with anyone and seems to have a lot of skill but hasn't done a lot with it so far in Edmonton. But perhaps a third line with wingers of AA and Puljujarvi might be worth a shot.

- Jesse Puljujarvi: Sign him if you can. Perhaps he has grown, and if he can provide a little depth scoring, the Oilers can use it.

- Matt Benning: I'm not sure what to do with Benning either. I like him fine as a 3RD; I don't like him elevated higher than that in the lineup. At some point you want to bring in Bouchard as a puck-moving defenseman who can put up some points; ideally you are bringing him in on that 3RD and letting him gain some experience. Perhaps Benning is a guy that shakes loose in a trade for a forward?

- Ethan Bear: I would try to sign Ethan Bear long-term to a Klefbom-like contract. He's the real deal.

- William Lagesson: Re-sign, I guess? His career development looked positive, but then he hardly played this year. I'm not sure where he fits in on the Oilers, but he is a cheap 7th defenseman, so if they opt not to sign Mike Green, Lagesson is a good option I guess.

- The Rest: Do not sign Ryan Kuffner, Ryan Mantha, Nolan Vesey, Cameron Hebig, Angus Redmond. Re-sign Logan Day.

Trades

- Darnell Nurse - I don't think you can move Nurse. I just don't see anyone who you can elevate to that spot. Jones and Broberg are rookies; you don't want to thrust those minutes or role upon them just yet. Russell isn't equipped. I wasn't impressed with Nurse these playoffs, and think he is probably one of the most polarizing players on the team (and likely falls somewhere in between the two camps in terms of team value), but I think you keep him. Who else plays there? And it would crush Connor McDavid, who while professional, is also a human being.

- Zack Kassian - I'd trade him if you can. That's a brutal contract that I would have never signed. He's a fourth liner with limited production being paid to be more than that. I don't know if they will though.

- Alex Chiasson - I actually liked his series against Chicago, and in a depth role think he is fine. His contract is a little high; if someone wanted to take it, I wouldn't object, but I'm also not opposed to his return.

- Adam Larsson - One-year left on his deal. Do you re-sign him? I'd be leaning towards not, and if not, you have a decision to make this summer or next deadline.

- James Neal - I like his role and think he has played well. It's just that contract. If you can get someone to take it, it opens other UFA opportunities.

- Jujhar Khaira - You know what? He's fine for what he does in his role. I wish there was more there, but as a PK specialist on the fourth line, I'd probably keep him.

- Kris Russell - Think it's entirely possible Russell has played his last game for the Oilers. I think they'll be shopping him, and they should. Jones can play that spot for cheaper, and arguably better. And Broberg is waiting in the wings too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765099 is a reply to message #765098 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 21:42

- Adam Larsson - One-year left on his deal. Do you re-sign him? I'd be leaning towards not, and if not, you have a decision to make this summer or next deadline.

If you're not signing an extension with Larsson you need to trade him this offseason. Can't let the only return from the Hall deal leave for nothing.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765085 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

At the risk of sounding like “I told you so” guy, I thought from the start the team still needed this season to recover from the damage chiarelli did to the roster and salary cap.

At no point in the series, other than the first shot of the game once or twice, did this look like a cup contender. Chicago is not a good team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765091 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I’m used to disappointment by now. Despite the positivity thread, I knew all day in the back of my head that this would be the result.

On the whole, the team outplayed our expectations this season, but this series against a team THAT HAD NO BUSINESS BEING HERE, really exposed the team for how far away they are from contending. We will need a solid 3 lucky signings to turn the ship around next year.

Or maybe we’ll all be Laff’n on Monday.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765097 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

The concerns that were there all last season and most of this year got exposed. There's structural flaws in this team that need to be fixed.

That said, this Chicago team is not good. That the Oilers couldn't handle them means they didn't really deserve to move on. For the first time in my life, I'm mad at the Oilers for underachieving in the playoffs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765116 is a reply to message #765097 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 20:21

The concerns that were there all last season and most of this year got exposed. There's structural flaws in this team that need to be fixed.

That said, this Chicago team is not good. That the Oilers couldn't handle them means they didn't really deserve to move on. For the first time in my life, I'm mad at the Oilers for underachieving in the playoffs.

It's the same old story with the Oilers:

Quote:

@DimFilipovic: The Edmonton Oilers didn’t have at least one of Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl on the ice for 92:40 in that 4 game series and they combined to score.. 1 goal (while giving up 5)

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1291915308341407746? s=20

Imagine if Holland had waited until the offseason to sign Kassian. Instead they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765117 is a reply to message #765116 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

That's the real killer. Holland put the wings in a bit of a cap crunch with bad deals. Take a look at the wings roster on capfriendly and it has a few bagholder deals to under performing players long term. Kassian felt like something similar. We'll be talking about buying him out as early as next year I'm afraid.

Oh well lots of bright spots for next year still. A January start doesn't sound that far off.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765118 is a reply to message #765116 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Sat, 08 August 2020 00:32

Quote:

@DimFilipovic: The Edmonton Oilers didn’t have at least one of Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl on the ice for 92:40 in that 4 game series and they combined to score.. 1 goal (while giving up 5)

Imagine if Holland had waited until the offseason to sign Kassian. Instead they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Yep - there's an over-reliance on the big three with this team for certain.

Regular Season:
Draisaitl - 110 points
McDavid - 97 points
Nugent-Hopkins - 61 points
Kassian - 34 points
Klefbom - 34 points

Playoffs:
McDavid - 9 points
Nugent-Hopkins - 8 points
Draisaitl - 6 points
Neal - 3 points
Nurse/Klefbom/Ennis/Chiasson - 2 points

Last year was the same. Basically, if those three aren't scoring, then the team isn't winning. And in this series, they DID score. No other team in the playoffs has had the top-three production the Oilers did. They were 1st, 2nd, and tied for 5th. And we still lost because the depth gets destroyed, and the goaltending was poor.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765131 is a reply to message #765118 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 08 August 2020 01:57

Goose wrote on Sat, 08 August 2020 00:32

Quote:

Yep - there's an over-reliance on the big three with this team for certain.

Regular Season:
Draisaitl - 110 points
McDavid - 97 points
Nugent-Hopkins - 61 points
Kassian - 34 points
Klefbom - 34 points

Playoffs:
McDavid - 9 points
Nugent-Hopkins - 8 points
Draisaitl - 6 points
Neal - 3 points
Nurse/Klefbom/Ennis/Chiasson - 2 points

Last year was the same. Basically, if those three aren't scoring, then the team isn't winning. And in this series, they DID score. No other team in the playoffs has had the top-three production the Oilers did. They were 1st, 2nd, and tied for 5th. And we still lost because the depth gets destroyed, and the goaltending was poor.

I'm more worried about the defensive play after this series and the coaching decisions.

Every guy on this team was participating in the very typical Oilers thing where every time a game is close, we are just running around like dummies until something finally bad happens. And boy do our D love to help out the bad things happening. Nurse was trying to fart on the puck all series long, constantly with his back to the action in front of the net. Russell with many expert tips and deflections into our net. Klef was gambling like crazy like this was exhibition in the first few games of the series. D aren't only to blame too of course. Forwards were very useless in our own zone too constantly playing a part in leaving opposing players wide open, not even close to covering point men, skating right by open guys in front of our net as they coast to some useless area. Been a problem all year long. I keep hoping these defensive minded coaches we hire will somehow fix this stuff....not happening.

I have a hard time blame Koskinen for much since he came in. He didn't give away many if any gift goals. I think our D had a hand in almost as many goals against as Chicago scored since he was put in the net.

Smith in game 1 was an unforced coaching error. And he did exactly what everyone feared he would. Tosses Chicago a goal, leading to the whole team scrambling and playing scared leading to more chaos and Smith falling on his face on every save attempt. Tippett just watching the bleeding like McLellan, holding onto the time out like it's made of gold. Not fun tossing a game away off the bat in a best of 3 series.

Drai's line should have been reunited from the start. That line saved our playoff chances. Waited until there was 7 minutes left to being eliminated to reunite them.

Team definitely doesn't have the depth to go all the way still. We tried to add some wingers. No idea how AA scored 30 goals. We had enough to beat Chicago though. Just didn't play well. Back to being like the fans, waiting for bad things to happen and unfortunately playing a big part in it happening in our own zone with terrible defensive play.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 August 2020 11:31]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765122 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

The damage Chiarelli did to this club has very long reaching tentacles.

And the goofball that sat on the sidelines FOR AGES and watched this twit dismantle what little depth they had behind 97 and 29 is still the face of this management team.

For the love of god. Fire Bob now.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765127 is a reply to message #765122 ]
Sat, 08 August 2020 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 08 August 2020 08:00

The damage Chiarelli did to this club has very long reaching tentacles.

And the goofball that sat on the sidelines FOR AGES and watched this twit dismantle what little depth they had behind 97 and 29 is still the face of this management team.

For the love of god. Fire Bob now.

(And Kevin).

Looking through some stats again and it is goaltending that really did us dirty, no matter what the other flaws on this roster are. The Oilers outshot and outchanced the ‘Hawks through the series but had the worst goaltending stats of anyone in the play-in. Smith’s stats were horrendous, but Koskinen was still among the very worst too. 15 goals in 4 games is pretty respectable (would have been better if depth guys did anything) but they could not get the saves.

I wonder if they could escape Koskinen’s deal if a KHL team wants him...

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Haas
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca