This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Nurse extended 2 years @ 5.6AAVPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Nurse extended 2 years @ 5.6AAV [message #754019]
Sun, 09 February 2020 18:02 Go to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Perhaps a premature post, but reported by Bobby Mac;

https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/status/122667060793015500 9?s=21

EDM and pending RFA D Darnell Nurse are finalizing a two-year contract extension with an expected AAV at a shade higher than $5.5M.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2020 16:03]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754025 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

A bridge. Hmm I guess he’s gone after then? These next two years are probably the better window for the Oilers to make a run at the cup, so having him a little cheaper during that period is a plus.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754026 is a reply to message #754025 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 18:15

A bridge. Hmm I guess he’s gone after then? These next two years are probably the better window for the Oilers to make a run at the cup, so having him a little cheaper during that period is a plus.

They will likely resign him prior. It’s to assist current cap issues.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754027 is a reply to message #754026 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

How stupid is this team!?!?!? You sign him to a bridge deal to save what, 750K? That’s ur just gonna piss away overpaying some other guy ie. Kassian who’s getting paid 3+mil to play on the 3rd-4th line. Why not just pony up the extra 750K and sign an 8 year deal like Morrisey so at least on the back half of the deal when the cap goes you get a couple bargain years.

My god, different GM dame asinine decisions. The fact that these people get paid 7 figures to make these decisions is laughable. The level of incompetence that this organization has sustained for as long as they have is astounding doh

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754029 is a reply to message #754027 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 19:40

How stupid is this team!?!?!? You sign him to a bridge deal to save what, 750K? That’s ur just gonna piss away overpaying some other guy ie. Kassian who’s getting paid 3+mil to play on the 3rd-4th line. Why not just pony up the extra 750K and sign an 8 year deal like Morrisey so at least on the back half of the deal when the cap goes you get a couple bargain years.

My god, different GM dame asinine decisions. The fact that these people get paid 7 figures to make these decisions is laughable. The level of incompetence that this organization has sustained for as long as they have is astounding doh

I don’t think 750K added to this gets anything long term with Nurse.

I have to side with Holland on this one. It gives wiggle room to make a push next season and an even bigger one the year after.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754035 is a reply to message #754029 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 18:56

I have to side with Holland on this one. It gives wiggle room to make a push next season and an even bigger one the year after.

If by all accounts his iron clad comparable is Josh Morrisey who signed an EIGHT year deal at $6.25M/yr just 5 months ago then how the hell do you sign Nurse for a deal that only saves you 750K for only 2 yrs that walks him right to unrestricted free agency!?!? This deal is so mind boggling stupid I can’t even begin to describe it

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754037 is a reply to message #754035 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 21:12

If by all accounts his iron clad comparable is Josh Morrisey who signed an EIGHT year deal at $6.25M/yr just 5 months ago then how the hell do you sign Nurse for a deal that only saves you 750K for only 2 yrs that walks him right to unrestricted free agency!?!? This deal is so mind boggling stupid I can’t even begin to describe it

It says to me, coupled with the 8M reports, that Darnell and his camp wouldn't go below 7 on a long term deal at this point. So in my mind this gives the team about 1.5M space for the coming 2 seasons and by all reports both parties are interested in a long term commitment with the next deal.

Also says to me that one of KRuss and/or Larss are going to be moved this summer.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754046 is a reply to message #754037 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 20:43

It says to me, coupled with the 8M reports, that Darnell and his camp wouldn't go below 7 on a long term deal at this point. So in my mind this gives the team about 1.5M space for the coming 2 seasons and by all reports both parties are interested in a long term commitment with the next deal.

Also says to me that one of KRuss and/or Larss are going to be moved this summer.

Who gives an EFF what his camp is asking or says they won’t go below? Maybe they said they wouldn’t go below 15 mil a year? So in your eyes this a 10M dollar savings. The fact that you’re trying to defend this deal is embarrassing. For the record I like Nurse...a lot but I do t line hurting my team with crappy contracts and sub par mgmt. Nurse is no where near a 7M AAV dmen. He’s a good skater but doesn’t always use it, he’s tough but doesn’t show that edge consistently. He doesn’t have a good break out pass or isn’t above average offensively. He isn’t a pure shutdown dman and has mental lapses in his own end evidenced but the absolutely stupid throwing the stick penalty the other night. So what exactly are u paying 5.5M a year for? A slightly above average dman who logs a lot of minutes on a team with no depth

[Updated on: Sun, 09 February 2020 21:17]

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754051 is a reply to message #754046 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 21:05

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 20:43

Who gives an EFF what his camp is asking or says they won’t go below? Maybe they said they wouldn’t go below 15 mil a year? So in your eyes this a 10M dollar savings. The fact that you’re trying to defend this deal is embarrassing. For the record I like Nurse...a lot but I do t line hurting my team with crappy contracts and sub par mgmt. Nurse is no where near a 7M AAV dmen. He’s a good skater but doesn’t always use it, he’s tough but doesn’t show that edge consistently. He doesn’t have a good break out pass or isn’t above average offensively. He isn’t a pure shutdown dman and has mental lapses in his own end evidenced but the absolutely stupid throwing the stick penalty the other night. So what exactly are u paying 5.5M a year for? A slightly above average dman who logs a lot of minutes on a team with no depth

I'm not clear who you're most upset about here - Nurse's camp for the outrageous ask? Holland for the short-term deal?

Nurse is a good second pairing defenceman, producing decent numbers considering he gets very little powerplay time. The rumoured amount - ~$5.5MM - is pretty good for that. Paying him much more gives us issues with the cap - in part because of previous terrible management, but it doesn't matter - we're really right up against it because the team has consistently overpaid people for the role they're in.

With Nurse, you have to consider whether he's got any chance of moving up or down the depth chart in the lifespan of his deal. At two years, it's a decent bet he stays where he is. Klefbom is under contract for another year after that deal is over, and he's clearly the top LD at the moment. He's only a year older than Nurse, and at 26, it's not that likely that the wheels are just about to come off.

Meanwhile the Oilers are high on a few LD in the system:

Jones
Broberg
Lagesson
Samorukov

Hopefully (you can't put faith in this with the Oilers brass unfortunately), the team is constantly measuring each of these players and has some perspective of how far they can climb and how they stack up.

Broberg is someone the organization had enough faith in to take well before his ranking in the draft, so if you think he's going to pass Nurse in the next 7 years, then you have to think twice about whether you want Nurse making big bucks for that entire time.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754040 is a reply to message #754035 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 20:12

I think Nurse may have an inflated idea of what he's worth. If he is saying he wants something around 7.5M long term or he's just gonna go to arbitration on his way to UFA, this is basically the compromise you have to make. He would get 5.6 in arbitration I bet, but then in arbitration you have to insult Nurse to argue why he's not worth X dollars and you poison the relationship.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 February 2020 21:01]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754032 is a reply to message #754025 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 18:15

It's not a bridge if it goes into UFA status. Its just opening him up to leaving earlier. I didn't like the number he was asking to make it long term, but it seems a little silly to have him be able to leave so early.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754043 is a reply to message #754032 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

We have a pretty nice amount of upcoming young D, that I'm not as concerned about this deal. I think if it gets to a point that it looks like we cant keep him, or he doesnt wanna sign a nice deal, I believe Holland will do what's right and get us some nice pieces for him.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754030 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

I am all for trading nurse for a forward. He has low hockey IQ. He thinks he’s Connor and can go end to end then throws up a muffin. Brings toughness and is good in his own end but once past the red line he’s an albatross.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754038 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Should be an interesting couple years with Nurse. He thinks he should be an 7-8M D. He's not gonna be happy that he barely touches the PP over that term on his way to trying to get his UFA year payday. Bouchard will be getting all the PP time soon, followed by Bear and Klef. Broberg could be knocking in a couple years too for LHD ice time too.

I'm not unhappy with the caphit. But I can't help but see Nurse as a stopgap now. So many scenarios where it won't make sense to give him even close to what he thinks he's worth in 2 years.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 February 2020 20:56]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754041 is a reply to message #754038 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

Watching YOU PEOPLE complaim makes my day

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754042 is a reply to message #754041 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PoolParty wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 20:59

Was my post a complaint? Just foreshadowing I thought :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754047 is a reply to message #754042 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

We have cost certainty with this deal.

5.5 Nurse until 21/22
4.17 Klefbom until 22/23
4.17 Larsson until 20/21
4.0 Russel until 22/23
Benning is a RFA and should not get a huge bump
From 1.9M
Bear should get a decent bump from his ELC.
Jones is still on his ELC.

If one of Russell or Larsson are moved out then we are decent shape to get a top 6 forward with that money. I like the deal.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754048 is a reply to message #754047 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 21:38

5.5 Nurse until 21/22
4.17 Klefbom until 22/23
4.17 Larsson until 20/21
4.0 Russel until 22/23
From 1.9M

If one of Russell or Larsson are moved out then we are decent shape to get a top 6 forward with that money. I like the deal.

Fortunately, you're incorrect on Russell. Just one more season after this one for him. Jones is locked up until 21-22 though - he just recently signed a two year extension at a team friendly $850K per season.

This report, if true, is how I'd like to see the Oilers handle this. Nurse isn't a superstar, and there's footsteps behind him from the prospect base. Maybe he elevates and he's worth a tonne in a couple of years, in which case we have time to try to convince him we want him to stay, or we can trade him (preferably the summer before) for a king's ransom. If he's been passed by one or two prospects, and Klefbom remains in front of him on the depth chart, then I sure don't want him getting premium dollars for max term.

I'd like to hear this is final before I give too many kudos to the team though...We've seen before that reports come out early where the reality is much worse.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754050 is a reply to message #754048 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 22:02

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 21:38

5.5 Nurse until 21/22
4.17 Klefbom until 22/23
4.17 Larsson until 20/21
4.0 Russel until 22/23
From 1.9M

Fortunately, you're incorrect on Russell. Just one more season after this one for him. Jones is locked up until 21-22 though - he just recently signed a two year extension at a team friendly $850K per season.

This report, if true, is how I'd like to see the Oilers handle this. Nurse isn't a superstar, and there's footsteps behind him from the prospect base. Maybe he elevates and he's worth a tonne in a couple of years, in which case we have time to try to convince him we want him to stay, or we can trade him (preferably the summer before) for a king's ransom. If he's been passed by one or two prospects, and Klefbom remains in front of him on the depth chart, then I sure don't want him getting premium dollars for max term.

I'd like to hear this is final before I give too many kudos to the team though...We've seen before that reports come out early where the reality is much worse.

My bad. I put next to zero effort into the numbers, but with that being said it’s actually even better than I listed.

Now Hopefully Nuge’s next deal gets prioritized this summer.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754053 is a reply to message #754042 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 21:00

Was my post a complaint? Just foreshadowing I thought :)

Don't pay any attention to her - she's an optimist who only posts to complain?!?

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754075 is a reply to message #754041 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

PoolParty wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 19:59

lol Right?!?! Great entertainment for a Monday morning.

No reason to get that upset over this deal. I like the two year deal, gives us more time to see if Nurse is the real deal. Plus, I think new TV money is coming in a couple of years so the cap will be going up.

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754087 is a reply to message #754041 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

These people never chamge. The defimition of imsamity is doimg the same thimg over amd over agaim and expectimg differemt results!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754052 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

No Cups

Good deal for both sides. He is a top 4 D on most teams. IF we win, maybe he sticks around. If not, then I figure he is on his way to LA or another big, warm market.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754060 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I remember seeing Nurse in junior during the OHL playoffs and he just dominated, best player on his team, leader, skated like the wind, ran the PP, and on top of that, tough as nails. Figured he'd be an all star in the NHL.

He's progressed as an Oiler but seems to have plateaued the last two years, struggling in his own end, and still not someone you'd put out to QB your PP, the offensive progression has stagnated, as well as defense.

The two years might work out for the team, unless 25 takes a quantum leap in performance, he won't be commanding the $8 M his agent was asking for now, and if he does make that leap, then he deserves it, and they'll happily pay him. Sounds like in the end Nurse was betting on himself to earn the $8m, and not offering a bargain for an extension, and the Oilers were not willing to take the cap risk.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754062 is a reply to message #754060 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I don't mind this deal at all. I am a big Nurse fan. I like his style of dmen which is the big, tought, physical, all around dmen. I think he is a really good second pairing dman. I would like to see him signed to a long term deal. BUT there is a limit to what I would pay Nurse. I have said all along that the number on a long term is what Morrissey got. Other than Nurse being a little tougher, they are the same dman. So I have said it many times, I don't see how he or his agent can argue they are worth more than Morrissey. I also think anyone of the believe he's only worth 5 mill on any team for a long term is smoking something. But I understand the Nurse camp wanting to get more on a long term. I get it.

So the short term is maybe the way to go. If Nurse thinks he's worth more, OK prove it. In the NHL, you get paid for points. If he is worried he will put up a bunch of 50+ pt seasons and be under paid at Morrissey money which if he did, he would be, score some points and prove it. I don't think it will happen but go ahead, score. If he puts up 50 pts 2 years in a row, you will get your money. Either by the Oilers or someone else. But if he keeps doing what he is doing which is perfectly fine, there is the evidence the team needs to give him a certain number and he won't have an argument for otherwise.

So I don't think a 2 yr deal means Nurse is gone. But in saying that, if he prices himself out of the Oilers, the Oilers have 2 years to groom a replacement which in reality, they might have internally and realistically probably need 2 years to be ready.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754083 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm fine it's a bridge deal.

I'm fine with the numbers!

I'm fine all around on Nurse getting this. I personally think he's not long for the Oilers and will finish the contract on another team, but we will see.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754085 is a reply to message #754083 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 11:28

I'm fine all around on Nurse getting this. I personally think he's not long for the Oilers and will finish the contract on another team, but we will see.

When the contract is up, if Nurse wants to be an Oiler, it will be up to him. If he wants to chase the money, I don't think it's in Edmonton. I have said it already. I think he believes he can score more. I am sure if he was on another team and given the premium offensive minutes and #1 PP time, he can probably score a little more. I don't see a ton. But with Klef plus Bear and Bouchard, he won't score more.

So in 2 yrs he will have a choice. Go to most likely a crap team because they are the ones who can afford to overpay him or stay on the Oilers, make real good money but probably take a bit less BUT you get to play with his best buddies, be a god in the City and win.

Over the years, I don't think there have been very many players who have EVER taken less in Edmonton. I think back to "beloved" Smyth who apparently the Oilers shockingly drew a line in the sand and said this is our limit. I am sure that limit was MORE than fair given what Smyth was as a player and Smyth walked over apparently 100K a year. He never wanted to leave yet he was willing to walk over 100K. If you think about the last cup final team. Did any of the guys who stayed take a discount? Hell no. With Pronger forcing a trade, every last one of those guys who stayed, held a gun to the Oilers head and used Pronger leaving as leverage. I hope we start seeing a few guys try to take a little less to build something.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2020 11:47]

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754086 is a reply to message #754085 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 11:40

When the contract is up, if Nurse wants to be an Oiler, it will be up to him. If he wants to chase the money, I don't think it's in Edmonton. I have said it already. I think he believes he can score more. I am sure if he was on another team and given the premium offensive minutes and #1 PP time, he can probably score a little more. I don't see a ton. But with Klef plus Bear and Bouchard, he won't score more.

So in 2 yrs he will have a choice. Go to most likely a crap team because they are the ones who can afford to overpay him or stay on the Oilers, make real good money but probably take a bit less BUT you get to play with his best buddies, be a god in the City and win.

Over the years, I don't think there have been very many players who have EVER taken less in Edmonton. I think back to "beloved" Smyth who apparently the Oilers shockingly drew a line in the sand and said this is our limit. I am sure that limit was MORE than fair given what Smyth was as a player and Smyth walked over apparently 100K a year. He never wanted to leave yet he was willing to walk over 100K. If you think about the last cup final team. Did any of the guys who stayed take a discount? Hell no. With Pronger forcing a trade, every last one of those guys who stayed, held a gun to the Oilers head and used Pronger leaving as leverage. I hope we start seeing a few guys try to take a little less to build something.

My Smyth feelings are well documented but he didn't actually walk over $100k. He was traded by the greatest living manager in NHL history, Kevin Lowe. We know Lowe is very reasonable and a hard but fair negotiator but who is to say who is really to blame for the Smyth trade?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754088 is a reply to message #754086 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 11:51

My Smyth feelings are well documented but he didn't actually walk over $100k. He was traded by the greatest living manager in NHL history, Kevin Lowe. We know Lowe is very reasonable and a hard but fair negotiator but who is to say who is really to blame for the Smyth trade?

I believe the story was they worked on a extension right up until the last few hours of the trade deadline. They couldn't agree to terms. It was down to 100k difference. Rather than potentially lose him for nothing, they traded him.

I am pretty positive on that. I heard Smyth talk about it was a mistake not to resign when he was on Gregor's show a few years ago. Maybe the amount I said wasn't right. I thought it was 100K but regardless, they were different by very little in the grand scheme of things. Both sides wouldn't budge and he was traded rather than lose him for nothing. I don't have a problem with a team setting a limit and not moving.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2020 11:58]

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754089 is a reply to message #754088 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 11:55

I believe the story was they worked on a extension right up until the last few hours of the trade deadline. They couldn't agree to terms. It was down to 100k difference. Rather than potentially lose him for nothing, they traded him.

I am pretty positive on that. I heard Smyth talk about it was a mistake not to resign when he was on Gregor's show a few years ago. Maybe the amount I said wasn't right. I thought it was 100K but regardless, they were different by very little in the grand scheme of things. Both sides wouldn't budge and he was traded rather than lose him for nothing. I don't have a problem with a team setting a limit and not moving.

Yeah, that's the story. It's good PR.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754155 is a reply to message #754088 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

So you don't know what he was offered or how much he already left on the table, but you're fully prepared to take the side of Kevin Lowe, arguably the worst GM in history. Don't forget that Smyth went to free agency and got a $6.25MM contract, so it's not like the market for him wasn't out there. The highest paid player the season before? Jagr at $8.36MM.

But it's ok, your boy Klowe was able to trade Smyth for the powerhouse Colin Fraser and a 7th round draft pick. With any other team, I might be worried but with how astutely aware Klowe and his cronies were with drafting, a 7th round pick is basically a 2nd round pick in their hands.

It boggles my mind that people still defend this. Lowe effed up literally every contract he ever touched, and then when it comes to one of the most respected players in the game, without knowing any of the details, they assume that Lowe made a "more than fair offer". Like Lowe's "more than fair offer" of Comrie having to pay back his $2.5MM bonus in order to get traded (it only cost the Oilers Corey Perry as he was poised to enter his prime). Or his "totally fair" decision to send Souray to the minors while icing defensive greats such as Jim Vandermeer and Kurtis Foster.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754169 is a reply to message #754155 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 08:57

So you don't know what he was offered or how much he already left on the table, but you're fully prepared to take the side of Kevin Lowe, arguably the worst GM in history. Don't forget that Smyth went to free agency and got a $6.25MM contract, so it's not like the market for him wasn't out there. The highest paid player the season before? Jagr at $8.36MM.

But it's ok, your boy Klowe was able to trade Smyth for the powerhouse Colin Fraser and a 7th round draft pick. With any other team, I might be worried but with how astutely aware Klowe and his cronies were with drafting, a 7th round pick is basically a 2nd round pick in their hands.

It boggles my mind that people still defend this. Lowe effed up literally every contract he ever touched, and then when it comes to one of the most respected players in the game, without knowing any of the details, they assume that Lowe made a "more than fair offer". Like Lowe's "more than fair offer" of Comrie having to pay back his $2.5MM bonus in order to get traded (it only cost the Oilers Corey Perry as he was poised to enter his prime). Or his "totally fair" decision to send Souray to the minors while icing defensive greats such as Jim Vandermeer and Kurtis Foster.

You're getting that backwards. We traded powerhouse Colin Fraser and the 7th in order to get Smyth back after he held the Kings for ransom, publicly demanding a trade to only one team. The Kings did get significant cap relief that helped them win Cups right after that though...so it worked out pretty well for LA.

We traded Smyth for Nilsson, O'Marra and the 15th overall pick (Plante). While none of those players made a huge impact, it's not a bad deal at the time - we got the Islanders last two first round picks, plus their upcoming first round pick. All three played games with the Oilers, while the Islanders only got a handful of games and a single playoff round with Ryan Smyth.

Lots of things I'll criticize Kevin Lowe for - he was generally horrible - but that's a decent haul for a guy who was just about to be UFA and who hadn't shown a lot of signs of willingness to find a deal ahead of testing the open market.

The bigger mistake was bringing him back. They probably should have told LA (and the Smyths) thanks, but no thanks. It was just a disruption to have him back - even at the small price we had to pay to acquire him.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754090 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 18:02

EDM and pending RFA D Darnell Nurse are finalizing a two-year contract extension with an expected AAV at a shade higher than $5.5M.

2 years? I'd rather see 4 or 5 years at that AAV. Is he worth much more at the end of 2?

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754093 is a reply to message #754090 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 12:04

2 years? I'd rather see 4 or 5 years at that AAV. Is he worth much more at the end of 2?

Probably not, other than a small “cost of living” increase. He pretty much is what he is. We’d be looking for depth in the top 4 if he left. Unless somebody steals his roster spot in the next two years...

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754095 is a reply to message #754093 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 12:21

Probably not, other than a small “cost of living” increase. He pretty much is what he is. We’d be looking for depth in the top 4 if he left. Unless somebody steals his roster spot in the next two years...

I guess we'll see, there are guys in the system that can pass Nurse on the depth chart. Where Nurse stands out is in physicality and edge, but how often do we see it?

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754094 is a reply to message #754090 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm sure the Oilers would rather have that too - but I think Nurse's camp believes he's worth much more and would be able to get a massive raise at UFA, so they agreed to a better number now, so he can make more later.

As long as he isn't caught from behind by Broberg or one of the others, he's probably right - on the UFA market right now, I bet he could get a lot more. The only question will be should the Oilers pay that or not?

It's nice to get the cap relief now though.

One side note - Oilers management is going to get more time at the cabins than ever this summer. Matt Benning and Ethan Bear now the only remaining RFAs of note, so they can spend a little money on a goalie and a couple depth wingers on July 1, and maybe shut down the office by July 15th!

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754096 is a reply to message #754019 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

The more I think about it, the more I really like the deal. I like to put it in terms of regret management. What situation has the most chance to occur?:

1. Signing him to an 8 year deal at $7M now and him not living up to it after a few years. Screwing with our ability to build a winning team.

2. Signing him to a shorter, cheaper deal now followed by him lighting the league up in points to the extent that he is worth over $7M in 2022 and we have to replace him.

I doubt #2 happens. Lets take the savings now and go for a run at a deep playoff push while we have him cheap. If he becomes too expensive in 2022, we'll be fine with the prospect pool. If we sign him long term now and he drops off in two years, it'll be regret city. Which has been the Oiler M.O. for the last decade

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754098 is a reply to message #754096 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 12:35

The more I think about it, the more I really like the deal. I like to put it in terms of regret management. What situation has the most chance to occur?:

1. Signing him to an 8 year deal at $7M now and him not living up to it after a few years. Screwing with our ability to build a winning team.

2. Signing him to a shorter, cheaper deal now followed by him lighting the league up in points to the extent that he is worth over $7M in 2022 and we have to replace him.

I doubt #2 happens. Lets take the savings now and go for a run at a deep playoff push while we have him cheap. If he becomes too expensive in 2022, we'll be fine with the prospect pool. If we sign him long term now and he drops off in two years, it'll be regret city. Which has been the Oiler M.O. for the last decade

I like the deal and I DO think he'll be likely to attract a $7MM+ deal after two years. He'll be 27, physical, a great skater and likely posting 30-40 points in each of the last 4 seasons despite minimal PP time. While his passing isn't great, and he's getting some McDavid bump on his numbers, that's still a valuable resource where if he reaches UFA, he'll get paid big by someone - who will likely even give him term.

It does give us two more years to decide if that should be us though...and that's where I see the greatest value. Well, that and the cap room over the next couple of years.

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754123 is a reply to message #754098 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 12:40

I like the deal and I DO think he'll be likely to attract a $7MM+ deal after two years. He'll be 27, physical, a great skater and likely posting 30-40 points in each of the last 4 seasons despite minimal PP time. While his passing isn't great, and he's getting some McDavid bump on his numbers, that's still a valuable resource where if he reaches UFA, he'll get paid big by someone - who will likely even give him term.

It does give us two more years to decide if that should be us though...and that's where I see the greatest value. Well, that and the cap room over the next couple of years.

Exactly why this is a HORRENDOUS deal. You're walking one of your best assets right to free agency and could lose him for nothing. If all the cap savings you're gonna get is $600k by doing a short term deal then why not just go long term like the Morrisey contract and lock up a core member for the long haul at a somewhat reasonable dollar amount.

Very stupid contract, guarantee the Oilers will be paying Darnell north of $7mil on the next deal with term for a dman who is not worth nearly that much. The fact that anybody can look at this deal and not see it for the colossal failure that it is is astonishing to me

Re: Nurse extended 2 years [message #754127 is a reply to message #754123 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

5 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 18:40

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 12:40

Exactly why this is a HORRENDOUS deal. You're walking one of your best assets right to free agency and could lose him for nothing. If all the cap savings you're gonna get is $600k by doing a short term deal then why not just go long term like the Morrisey contract and lock up a core member for the long haul at a somewhat reasonable dollar amount.

Very stupid contract, guarantee the Oilers will be paying Darnell north of $7mil on the next deal with term for a dman who is not worth nearly that much. The fact that anybody can look at this deal and not see it for the colossal failure that it is is astonishing to me

I said it before and I’ll say it again. I strongly believe Darnell and his camp were not going to accept a Morrisey AAV on a long term deal but would do closer to Trouba which is where the Oilers drew the line resulting in both sides agreeing to this 2 year deal with a smaller AAV. They’ll have plenty of time to discuss an extension from there and if the Oilers DONT like the direction again they either have a chance to sell him at the deadline (if they’re out of it) or at the draft at the end of this 2 year deal.

I’m a fan.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Next Topic:GDT: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca