This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749130]
Tue, 10 December 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Carolina to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749138 is a reply to message #749130 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Smith would of had that Hamilton shot...

McDavid penalty shot bobble... Koskinen scored on from centre ice. We’ll look back at this game in April (when other fan bases are watching their teams in the playoffs) and we’ll laugh at it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749146 is a reply to message #749138 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 21:42

McDavid penalty shot bobble... Koskinen scored on from centre ice. We’ll look back at this game in April (when other fan bases are watching their teams in the playoffs) and we’ll laugh at it.

I'm laughing at it now. Just like the play by play guys, the postgame hosts, the fans walking out and the guys putting together the highlight reels. rofl

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749147 is a reply to message #749146 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 01:21

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 21:42

I'm laughing at it now. Just like the play by play guys, the postgame hosts, the fans walking out and the guys putting together the highlight reels. rofl

*blooper reels*
Fixed it for you

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749140 is a reply to message #749130 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Welp, here begins a dreaded run of the season.

@Minny
Toronto
@Dallas
@St. Louis
Pitts
Montreal (B2B)

First 4 are teams we almost always find ways to lose to. Pitts is no joke. Montreal can catch us tired.

Then @Vancouver and the Flames next.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749141 is a reply to message #749140 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 22:46

@Minny
Toronto
@Dallas
@St. Louis
Pitts
Montreal (B2B)

First 4 are teams we almost always find ways to lose to. Pitts is no joke. Montreal can catch us tired.

Outside looking in come Christmas.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749142 is a reply to message #749141 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 21:49

@Minny
Toronto
@Dallas
@St. Louis
Pitts
Montreal (B2B)

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7WIQ4FARJdpmUni8/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749144 is a reply to message #749142 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 21:59

@Minny
Toronto
@Dallas
@St. Louis
Pitts
Montreal (B2B)

Still, that was a great first couple months to the season. 1st place!!!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749148 is a reply to message #749144 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 22:22

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 21:59

@Minny
Toronto
@Dallas
@St. Louis
Pitts
Montreal (B2B)

Still, that was a great first couple months to the season. 1st place!!!

Thanks Mr. Bush. You provided years of great SNL material.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749149 is a reply to message #749130 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Team had a sorry schedule to start which made them look better than they were. Players which perform are overplayed and it’s taking a toll. Team isn’t balanced but I would rather lose season than make panic moves that set back team further. We need to get rid of a few bad contracts and salary cap penalties to get this organization back on its feet.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749150 is a reply to message #749130 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I was hoping this team wouldn't do the reverse St. Louis, but this last week has shown the fragility of the team.

I saw about 35 minutes of last night's game, and while it was nice to see some pushback from down 3-0, the implosion after tying it was just too reminiscent of previous years.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749151 is a reply to message #749150 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Suomalainen wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 10:08

I was hoping this team wouldn't do the reverse St. Louis, but this last week has shown the fragility of the team.

I hope I'm wrong, but I knew it was just a matter of time. The first month was just smoke and mirrors. Smith and Koskinen coming back down to Earth was inevitable, and as such we won't be winning many games where we don't score at least 5 or 6. Since that 7-1 start, we are not even a .500 team.

But as terrifying as this imminent collapse is, I don't feel the team is as far away as I thought at the start of the year. The bottom 6 guys are coming around, Kassian is playing well, Bear is great. We just need a solid G, 1 more top 6 guy, and maybe 1 upgrade on D. We have the best duo in the league up front - those guys you can't just pick up wherever. But a goalie, top 6 winger and a Dman? Should be doable.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749153 is a reply to message #749151 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 07:27

Suomalainen wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 10:08

I hope I'm wrong, but I knew it was just a matter of time. The first month was just smoke and mirrors. Smith and Koskinen coming back down to Earth was inevitable, and as such we won't be winning many games where we don't score at least 5 or 6. Since that 7-1 start, we are not even a .500 team.

But as terrifying as this imminent collapse is, I don't feel the team is as far away as I thought at the start of the year. The bottom 6 guys are coming around, Kassian is playing well, Bear is great. We just need a solid G, 1 more top 6 guy, and maybe 1 upgrade on D. We have the best duo in the league up front - those guys you can't just pick up wherever. But a goalie, top 6 winger and a Dman? Should be doable.

It could come down to a trade, either deadline or before then, giving us a bit more offense. This isn't a cup contender but those empty seats have to be bothering DK. some free playoff revenue would go a long way for his bottom line. maybe kevin sits down with the fully autonomous Ken Holland and gives him some winner advice?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749154 is a reply to message #749130 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm reading the puff pieces and some Oilers fans that say, Guys, the Oilers are tied for first place in the Pacific, we don't need to worry.

Clearly those fans don't know the suffrage we have seen and experienced. This is just the wheel going round and round again. The roster (like many have said) is unbalanced, the Oilers are in cap hell, we have a bunch of filler players being asked to perform above their level and our stars are overworked.

Drai looks hurt to me, just tired when battling for the puck. McDavid's bobble on the penalty shot is indicative on how much he's put this team on his back.

Let's hop our doom and gloom rights itself, but experience tells us this is just the start. If a last place team in January can win the stanley in this world, the mighty standings will usher the Oilers out of the post season too.

Experts and some fans will say that's can't happen, experiences tells us it can and most likely will.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749158 is a reply to message #749154 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 08:51

I'm reading the puff pieces and some Oilers fans that say, Guys, the Oilers are tied for first place in the Pacific, we don't need to worry.

Clearly those fans don't know the suffrage we have seen and experienced. This is just the wheel going round and round again. The roster (like many have said) is unbalanced, the Oilers are in cap hell, we have a bunch of filler players being asked to perform above their level and our stars are overworked.

Drai looks hurt to me, just tired when battling for the puck. McDavid's bobble on the penalty shot is indicative on how much he's put this team on his back.

Let's hop our doom and gloom rights itself, but experience tells us this is just the start. If a last place team in January can win the stanley in this world, the mighty standings will usher the Oilers out of the post season too.

Experts and some fans will say that's can't happen, experiences tells us it can and most likely will.

Apparently Draisaitl now has over an hour more icetime than any forward in the league not named McDavid...Is it really any surprise these guys are slowing down? That'a a lot of wear and tear - it has always been unsustainable.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749159 is a reply to message #749158 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 09:39

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 08:51

Apparently Draisaitl now has over an hour more icetime than any forward in the league not named McDavid...Is it really any surprise these guys are slowing down? That'a a lot of wear and tear - it has always been unsustainable.

6 games in 10 days coming up. All against good teams. If Tippett is planning to play Drai 24+ a night in any close game still...gonna be a brutal run. Get the hyperbaric chamber warmed up.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749160 is a reply to message #749159 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Game was pathetic, attended it live and it really shows how empty the stands are.
Two of the middle section on either side in the uppers were 90% empty.

Drai is either hurt, tired or tired of carrying this back on his team and it shows. He looks like 50% of his normal self.

Kassian was the best forward out there yesterday.

McDavid's penalty shot was suiting for the Oilers, can't even get a shot on a penalty shot.

Nuge looked bad out there again.

PP is so predictable for gaining the zone, defense hangs onto the puck towards the red line then drops it back at the blue line for Mcdavid while he's skating around our net.

This team needs a lot of changes.
Calgary will pass us soon in the standings and we will be dropping a lot in our division.

It's pretty sad with the good start we got this season we aren't much ahead of where we were last year point wise.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749172 is a reply to message #749160 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 10:06

It's pretty sad with the good start we got this season we aren't much ahead of where we were last year point wise.

I don't really look at it the same as this. Yes, the record is similar this year, but last year's record was entirely on the back of two streaks - one early one under McLellan, and then another one just after we hired Hitchcock. Neither looked sustainable, because the team's fundamentals were so awful.

Here, we still have depth struggles, but it's moderately better - and the top end is in a new stratosphere...even with a banged-up Nugent-Hopkins not producing much. The special teams are improved, which should help us even if they revert a little back towards the mean.

I do think goaltending is a real issue, and we could definitely use at least one more really good winger to bolster the second line and to push everyone down a rung on the ladder. I'd really like to see more Gagner, less Sheahan too.

But I do think this team is better than last year and better situated to hold serve now, compared to what happened last year. This next stretch is important - December and January were a disaster last year and it has to be better this time. But hopefully we can make it through this stretch in decent shape and then get our top guys a little bit of a rest over the holidays.

I think it's okay to be a little cautiously optimistic.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749175 is a reply to message #749172 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 11:41

I don't really look at it the same as this. Yes, the record is similar this year, but last year's record was entirely on the back of two streaks - one early one under McLellan, and then another one just after we hired Hitchcock. Neither looked sustainable, because the team's fundamentals were so awful.

Here, we still have depth struggles, but it's moderately better - and the top end is in a new stratosphere...even with a banged-up Nugent-Hopkins not producing much. The special teams are improved, which should help us even if they revert a little back towards the mean.

I do think goaltending is a real issue, and we could definitely use at least one more really good winger to bolster the second line and to push everyone down a rung on the ladder. I'd really like to see more Gagner, less Sheahan too.

But I do think this team is better than last year and better situated to hold serve now, compared to what happened last year. This next stretch is important - December and January were a disaster last year and it has to be better this time. But hopefully we can make it through this stretch in decent shape and then get our top guys a little bit of a rest over the holidays.

Oh look at Mr. Bandwagon Jumper! Sheahan's goal scoring streak ends and all of a sudden he's the problem!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749381 is a reply to message #749172 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 08:05 Go to previous message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 11:41

I'm not sure that I agree with that. We had a 5 game winning streak here at the start of the season and also another good streak in November.

Goaltending I would say is a bit better then last year but not much better.
Lucic gone and Neal is better from a contract perspective and some on the player perspective.
Our bottom 9 seem on par with last year, a slight increase.
Defense about the same.
Coaching is a bit better and the defense game has improved because of that, not a tire fire usually in our zone and are more aggressive getting the puck out.

Improvement is our special teams but that is hiding the flaws a lot more PP (1st) PK (6th). We however are the only team without a short handed goal, but i'd still rather have a better PK then score a goal but just an interesting stat.

Edit:
Goaltending Save Percentage we are now 26th and 52nd.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 December 2019 08:09]

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749178 is a reply to message #749160 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Game was pathetic, attended it live and it really shows how empty the stands are.

Drai is either hurt, tired or tired of carrying this back on his team and it shows. He looks like 50% of his normal self.

McDavid's penalty shot was suiting for the Oilers, can't even get a shot on a penalty shot.

PP is so predictable for gaining the zone, defense hangs onto the puck towards the red line then drops it back at the blue line for Mcdavid while he's skating around our net.

Calgary will pass us soon in the standings and we will be dropping a lot in our division.

I know it's almost a crime against humanity to dare to question the blessed Nuge but when do people start to wonder about the guy? When you don't pair him with elite level players, he's at best a 50 pt center who relies HEAVILY on PP points to prop him up. He has 6 goals, 17 pts in 27 games which is just over a 50 pt pace and of his points 4 goals and 10 pts are on the PP. So he's barely pissing a drop 5 on 5. In an ideal situation, as a second line player who's primarily a set up guy, Nuge should be anchoring that second PP unit. So instead of playing the crap out of the top unit, you can give the top unit over a minute and then throw out the second unit for 1/3 of it and actually have some decent players on it vs the bottom 6 scraps they have now.

There has been TONS of talk that the Oilers need to go get Hall for Nuge. Stop and think about that for a second. Hall won the MVP 2 seasons ago. When healthy and playing well, he's an extremely good player wjo would be on most teams top line and one of their best players. I am not looking for Nuge to be flirting with 90 pts. How about over 60 consistently? Over 60 pts for a second line center is pretty darn good. If the only way you can get Nuge scoring at a reasonable second liners rate without being propped up by the PP is you have to get a top line player to play down on a line, isn't that a problem and maybe we should be looking not so much at the rest of the team but at Nuge? I completely understand that the Oilers need more wing help on the second line but I do question whether it's the players Nuge plays with or is it just as much Nuge who's the problem.

I like Nuge, always have but in the 8.5 seasons he's been an Oiler, I have yet to see him carry or elevate anyone on his line ever. Typically given the nature of the position and how hockey is played, a center even if he is ore a set up guy is usually the one that drives the line. So there aren't a lot of wingers out there who drive lines. The few that are out there, make CRAZY money and they make it for a reason. Now Leon can drive a line on the wing BUT he played up until recently nothing but center. Nuge has played almost exclusively at center, yet he needs a winger to drive the play other wise the line goes no where. So at what point do you either look outside of the organization for another second line center who can actually drive a line and tell Nuge that even though he thinks he likes center better, he needs t suck it up and become a winger or you move Nuge for other assets? I am just growing concerned because for years it's been "we need to get someone to play with Nuge" but I believe the only way you get that guy is to have a 8, 9 or 10 mill second line winger on Nuge's flank and I don't think a team can win when you have more than 2 really high priced players like that. They just take up too much cap space.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749185 is a reply to message #749178 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 12:02

I know it's almost a crime against humanity to dare to question the blessed Nuge but when do people start to wonder about the guy? When you don't pair him with elite level players, he's at best a 50 pt center who relies HEAVILY on PP points to prop him up. He has 6 goals, 17 pts in 27 games which is just over a 50 pt pace and of his points 4 goals and 10 pts are on the PP. So he's barely pissing a drop 5 on 5. In an ideal situation, as a second line player who's primarily a set up guy, Nuge should be anchoring that second PP unit. So instead of playing the crap out of the top unit, you can give the top unit over a minute and then throw out the second unit for 1/3 of it and actually have some decent players on it vs the bottom 6 scraps they have now.

There has been TONS of talk that the Oilers need to go get Hall for Nuge. Stop and think about that for a second. Hall won the MVP 2 seasons ago. When healthy and playing well, he's an extremely good player wjo would be on most teams top line and one of their best players. I am not looking for Nuge to be flirting with 90 pts. How about over 60 consistently? Over 60 pts for a second line center is pretty darn good. If the only way you can get Nuge scoring at a reasonable second liners rate without being propped up by the PP is you have to get a top line player to play down on a line, isn't that a problem and maybe we should be looking not so much at the rest of the team but at Nuge? I completely understand that the Oilers need more wing help on the second line but I do question whether it's the players Nuge plays with or is it just as much Nuge who's the problem.

I like Nuge, always have but in the 8.5 seasons he's been an Oiler, I have yet to see him carry or elevate anyone on his line ever. Typically given the nature of the position and how hockey is played, a center even if he is ore a set up guy is usually the one that drives the line. So there aren't a lot of wingers out there who drive lines. The few that are out there, make CRAZY money and they make it for a reason. Now Leon can drive a line on the wing BUT he played up until recently nothing but center. Nuge has played almost exclusively at center, yet he needs a winger to drive the play other wise the line goes no where. So at what point do you either look outside of the organization for another second line center who can actually drive a line and tell Nuge that even though he thinks he likes center better, he needs t suck it up and become a winger or you move Nuge for other assets? I am just growing concerned because for years it's been "we need to get someone to play with Nuge" but I believe the only way you get that guy is to have a 8, 9 or 10 mill second line winger on Nuge's flank and I don't think a team can win when you have more than 2 really high priced players like that. They just take up too much cap space.

There are 93 first line spots in the NHL, last year the 100th leading scorer in the NHL had 53 frigging points, and that list had a number of D on it. 60 points made 74th. I'm just wondering who your 2nd line centers in the league are, who produce 60 points consistently. Nuge was there last year, and yeah everyone would love to see 60-70 points, but my guess is that the list of 60 pt. second line centers is pretty short.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749192 is a reply to message #749185 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 11:41

There are 93 first line spots in the NHL, last year the 100th leading scorer in the NHL had 53 frigging points, and that list had a number of D on it. 60 points made 74th. I'm just wondering who your 2nd line centers in the league are, who produce 60 points consistently. Nuge was there last year, and yeah everyone would love to see 60-70 points, but my guess is that the list of 60 pt. second line centers is pretty short.

Not to mention that Nuge's most frequent linemates this year have been: James Neal, who has gone cold with 1 goal in his last 10, and has also had his numbers boosted significantly by playing on the 1PP (5x5 Neal is on pace to score about the same number of points as he did last year); and Alex Chiasson, who is a 4th line player 5x5 who managed to even drag down McDavid's numbers when they played together last year.

After that it's Khaira and Jurco. To expect Nuge to somehow elevate these guys to 40 point 2nd line players is crazy. RNH isn't the problem.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749193 is a reply to message #749185 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 13:41

More specifically.
RNH was 31st among centers in scoring. In other words the worst scoring 1st line center in the league.
By the time you get to 62nd, or the worst 2nd liner, you are looking at 42 points.
RNH is a victim of the lack of depth on this team. He isnt, and shouldnt have to be, capable of carrying a line all alone, but that is basically what is being asked of him.
As usual when things go wrong people want to blame the high draft picks or "star" players for not dragging the plugs they are surrounded with out of the gutter.
It is the same irrational thought that has people hate on Hall, Eberle, etc. while ignoring some players who simply arent good enough in the role they are asked to play.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749191 is a reply to message #749178 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Last season Nuge averaged about 20 minutes a game. Draisatl was about 2.5 minutes higher. Nuge produced 70% of Draisatl's point total while not playing with McDavid as much, and killing twice as much PK time. Not every 1st overall pick is a superstar but he's a solid NHLer, a point producer and a 2 way player. He's also never made a peep about playing for the Cleveland Browns of the NHL. Keep Nuge.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749205 is a reply to message #749191 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Let's remember that Nuge for a good part of his career had Eberle and Hall as his wingers and all he could muster was 56 pts as a career high. So who are these mythical linemates that you can put with Nuge? I am not trying to be difficult, I am legit asking because all he could produce is 56 pts with one hell of a winger in Hall and a pretty good shooter in Eberle. I am not arguing that the Oilers depth hasn't been very good but if Nuge can't produce at a high level with those 2, it's not getting any better than that. I am not trying to run Nuge out of town but he definitely doesn't walk on water like some people think. He has the ability to be a decent second line center but he needs a lot more help than I think he should.

Re: Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749215 is a reply to message #749205 ]
Wed, 11 December 2019 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 11 December 2019 15:26

Let's remember that Nuge for a good part of his career had Eberle and Hall as his wingers and all he could muster was 56 pts as a career high. So who are these mythical linemates that you can put with Nuge? I am not trying to be difficult, I am legit asking because all he could produce is 56 pts with one hell of a winger in Hall and a pretty good shooter in Eberle. I am not arguing that the Oilers depth hasn't been very good but if Nuge can't produce at a high level with those 2, it's not getting any better than that. I am not trying to run Nuge out of town but he definitely doesn't walk on water like some people think. He has the ability to be a decent second line center but he needs a lot more help than I think he should.

My biggest deal with Nuge has been his ability to remain healthy. Again, who is the mythical consistent 60 pt 2nd line center who will bump Nuge to wing and make him dealable?

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca