This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747621]
Sun, 24 November 2019 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT) (SO)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Arizona to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747629 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Yay, Koski, after that horrid Drai shot....two straight wins on back-to-back nights....not bad, boys....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747631 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Drai looked bagged in that shootout. He’s like: eff it, a slapper it is.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747632 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Thanks to secondary scoring and Koskinen being solid, pulled out a win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747634 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Maybe holding should be a call in hockey....just hold McDavid then skate alone to the front of the net....at least we won but seriously there is a double standard.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747636 is a reply to message #747634 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

At some point you are what you're record says you are... a playoff team. announce

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747639 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

2 goals from the bottom 9 forwards at even strength for the 2nd time in a week?

https://media.giphy.com/media/lQeEWXMoN0lO0/giphy.gif

Only issue I had with the game was Neal having 0 PIMs again. He is just incapable of replacing Lucic's toughness.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 November 2019 21:17]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747644 is a reply to message #747639 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 24 November 2019 21:15

2 goals from the bottom 9 forwards at even strength for the 2nd time in a week?

https://media.giphy.com/media/lQeEWXMoN0lO0/giphy.gif

Only issue I had with the game was Neal having 0 PIMs again. He is just incapable of replacing Lucic's toughness.

They can’t all be generational talents.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747652 is a reply to message #747644 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Fun game to watch.
Love McDavid & Drai, but that OT was just ridiculous. Drai couldn't even move by the end of it. We were really lucky not to lose it as his guy was wide open all OT. I couldn't believe that they didn't take the opportunity to change when it came up several times.
Agree that when it came to his turn in the SO he was still bagged, hence the slapper.

Still...6 out of 8 points vs divisional opponents this road trip. Can't complain about that. Nice to see the secondary scoring finally show up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747640 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Sun, 24 November 2019 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

A deep team like Arizona effectively controlled our number one line at even strength and we still won. This team is coming around. Secondary scoring. What a novel idea.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747653 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Took me awhile to figure out how that third Coyotes goal went in. There's an angle on from the Phoenix broadcast that shows what happened. Nygard may have screened Koskinen, but I don't think that was the problem. The puck was actually going past the goal and hit Koskinen deflecting into the net. Whether he saw it or not, I'm not sure there would've been any difference. Simply a bad bounce.

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747658 is a reply to message #747653 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Big weekend getting 2 wins against 2 divisional opponents. They are even getting secondary scoring.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747661 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Like, why can't I get excited here? The team is a playoff team yet I feel like the carpet will be ripped from under my feet. Too many times have I been emotionally invested in the team and I get gutted. I didn't realize the damage was this deep.

Thrilled with the team's record and loved their claw back to win in in a shootout. Ethan Bear continues to surprise and Jones doesn't look out of place there. I don't know, Russell is starting to reach Steve Staios levels, that guy will block a shot any shot without regard for himself, but in the same vein Klefbom blocked 4 shots last night to Russell's 3.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747666 is a reply to message #747661 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 09:35

Like, why can't I get excited here? The team is a playoff team yet I feel like the carpet will be ripped from under my feet. Too many times have I been emotionally invested in the team and I get gutted. I didn't realize the damage was this deep.

Thrilled with the team's record and loved their claw back to win in in a shootout. Ethan Bear continues to surprise and Jones doesn't look out of place there. I don't know, Russell is starting to reach Steve Staios levels, that guy will block a shot any shot without regard for himself, but in the same vein Klefbom blocked 4 shots last night to Russell's 3.

It's understandable. The team is winning most games because the top two players are playing at a level the league hasn't seen in 20+ years. There's still some glaring weaknesses with this roster, and I think it's reasonable to ask whether the goaltending we've got to date is sustainable. We've seen Smith regress lately, and we saw Koskinen crash to earth last year after a hot start. Hopefully they continue on, and maybe Holland is able to make something happen through trade later in the year as our cap room grows closer to the deadline.

I really wouldn't hate seeing a winger or two added.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747668 is a reply to message #747666 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 09:59

It's understandable. The team is winning most games because the top two players are playing at a level the league hasn't seen in 20+ years. There's still some glaring weaknesses with this roster, and I think it's reasonable to ask whether the goaltending we've got to date is sustainable. We've seen Smith regress lately, and we saw Koskinen crash to earth last year after a hot start. Hopefully they continue on, and maybe Holland is able to make something happen through trade later in the year as our cap room grows closer to the deadline.

Unless Holland can find a way to unload Russell, Gags or Chaisson, I think what we see is pretty close to what we get this year. Enjoy it while it lasts! And hopefully it lasts long enough for some Oilers playoff hockey again.

He's gonna have an opening to make additions this summer if he can make some creative moves.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747670 is a reply to message #747668 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 10:13

Unless Holland can find a way to unload Russell, Gags or Chaisson, I think what we see is pretty close to what we get this year. Enjoy it while it lasts! And hopefully it lasts long enough for some Oilers playoff hockey again.

He's gonna have an opening to make additions this summer if he can make some creative moves.

Gotta think you could throw in one of those guys with picks or prospects if you were making a deadline splash - especially Gagner who's on an expiring deal. Maybe you can hoodwink someone in to thinking Russell's shot-blocking stats means something from a GM who hates all those analytics eggheads...

Right now, projected cap space at the deadline is $3.3MM - that's a pretty decent player, even if you don't send salary the other way:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747674 is a reply to message #747670 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 10:20

Gotta think you could throw in one of those guys with picks or prospects if you were making a deadline splash - especially Gagner who's on an expiring deal. Maybe you can hoodwink someone in to thinking Russell's shot-blocking stats means something from a GM who hates all those analytics eggheads...

Right now, projected cap space at the deadline is $3.3MM - that's a pretty decent player, even if you don't send salary the other way:

Yeah, we should be able to buy at least 1 middle 6 winger buy at the deadline, maybe more if we can add a little to move out an expensive player. Hope we can make it to the deadline in a spot where we should be buyers.

Russell's contract is a bummer with his bonus coming up. No doubt we should be able to move him in the summer relatively cheaply. With his 15 team trade list likely being all good teams that have moved beyond wanting a player like him, a move during this season would probably be tough.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747683 is a reply to message #747674 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 10:29

Yeah, we should be able to buy at least 1 middle 6 winger buy at the deadline, maybe more if we can add a little to move out an expensive player. Hope we can make it to the deadline in a spot where we should be buyers.

Russell's contract is a bummer with his bonus coming up. No doubt we should be able to move him in the summer relatively cheaply. With his 15 team trade list likely being all good teams that have moved beyond wanting a player like him, a move during this season would probably be tough.

I remember Edmonton media specifically saying what a good job Chia did on the Russell contract because the last two years made it so tradeable. Was I lied to?!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747684 is a reply to message #747683 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 11:20

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 10:29

I remember Edmonton media specifically saying what a good job Chia did on the Russell contract because the last two years made it so tradeable. Was I lied to?!

It's always awesome when the second after a contact is signed you have to try to grasp at hope about how tradeable the contract will be when it's only 50% done.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure it's only somewhat easy to move after the bonus is paid this summer. And even then, he can mess us up with his exclusion list.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747667 is a reply to message #747661 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Totally agree, would love to just shove all in and just know my team was going to wow and win the way I used to for the Oilers back in high school. A lot of us, especially the ones that have been around for awhile, have bust a few times doing that. I'm at the point where I appreciate effort and skill, good hockey and wins. I don't get as angry at the team for failure, its muted to disappointment for a number of years now.

Hope the ride lasts well into spring.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747682 is a reply to message #747667 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers are tops in the West, 3rd overall in the NHL, tops in their division. I supposed anything is possible but in all likelihood they are going to make the playoffs, they will probably be in the top 3 of the pacific and there is a good chance they will be battling for top spot in their divisions. If a person can't be at least somewhat happy with where the team is at and just focus on poking holes in how they win, then in my opinion you will probably always be down on the team.

The Oilers are winning with McDavid and Leon being amazing. Well McDavid is the best player in the world and Leon is proving he's at worst a top 10 player in the NHL, maybe top 5. McDavid scoring at almost 1.80pts per game. Probably unsustainable. But he was at almost 1.5 last year so is it unrealistic not to expect at least that? I don't think so. He's 22 and hasn't peaked yet. Leon is at 1.85 pts per game. He was at almost 1.3 last year. So he drops off a bit. I don't think he drops off that much. He had 50 goals and 105 pts last year and he is just entering his prime as a player. These guys are 2 of the best players in the NHL, they are extremely motivated to win this year. They are buying in. They might fall of slightly but it's not going to be a massive fall off.

They are winning with a great PP and really good PK. The PP should be good with McDavid and Leon. Why would they fall off much? The Oilers brought in guys who specifically were good on the PK. They have a new system and WAY WAY more commitment to it. Why would it fall off much?

They are winning because they are getting good goaltending. Early on it was unbelievable. Lately, it's cooled off slightly but they are getting good goaltending every night. These guys need to give the Oilers just decent goaltending and given how the team plays and how the Oilers manage them, why would they fall off that much?

They are winning with solid defense. They now have 3 decent, not spectacular but decent defense pairings. They played 1/4 of the season without Larsson's who's a good NHL dman. They got him back and as he gets back up to speed, he will get better. So why would the Oilers defense drop off much?

Early on, they won with next to no a depth scoring. The depth scoring is starting to come. They are getting goals every game for guys other than McDavid and Leon. Every team expects their top end guys to carry the load offensively then get some lesser guys to chip in. They are getting that now and chances are, they will get more goals from the bottom guys. It looks like guys are figuring things out. Last night, McDavid and Leon didn't get anything done last night. They got a PP goal from one of the best PP's in the league but they should have a good PP. Then they got 2 goals from Chiasson and Granlund. 2 depth guys. Then they won it in a skills competition.

They are winning because they have a good coach who knows how to deal with his guys properly and seems to be playing all his guys in the right spots. They have a good system that the players are all buying into and for most games, they are playing hard. So why would that change?

I don't think the Oilers roster is perfect, it's got holes. I had hoped that the Oilers would be battling for a playoff spot. So I am pleasantly surprised as to where they are at. I admit I am more positive on the team than some here and I could see them level off a bit but unless the team stops playing, I don't see how this team is going to drop off a ton. They are almost at the point where all they have to do is go .500 for remaining points for the rest of the year and they make the playoffs. That's not hard to do.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747722 is a reply to message #747661 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Like I said, many of us aren't going to truly believe the Oil are a good team unless we see them parading the Cup around the rink after winning a final. There have been way too many disappointments and outright failures to just turn around our way of thinking on this team.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747730 is a reply to message #747722 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Guys ( and I could give a rat's ass how politically incorrect that may , or may not be )..... It's a choice . It may be more difficult for some, but choosing to be a critic was the easy way out when they were playing crappy. I admit falling into that hole earlier ( 2008 ish ) , but quickly saw on this site, that it wasn't for me. To easy to look for / ignore the negatives, cuz they be right in front of you, The positives be where the joy be.
But it's hard to change. Thank goodness I had Oilfans... er.. I mean Oilcritics ...to show me who I didn't want to be. I mean, I certainly understood it, but it was not a healthy attitude for me... ( HULK SMASH !! TV ... sort of thing Crash . ) I look to see how hard most of these guys ( players ) are trying... & some, I can see, are trying too hard to avoid a mistake. What boils my blood ?? Players who try to take the puck away from the opposition..... FFS Man!! Take the man off the puck !!

Anyways .... I digress. Trust me guys ... it's a lot less stressful and enjoyable if you let yourself become 95% fan and be a critic on 5 % of the time ( you gotta get pissed once in a while !! ) Life is fleeting . So is Glory . Cheer while you can. Just try and forget how much money they make, and what Katz has to pay them out of our pockets with ticks & merch. ... Okay my blood is rising ... enough !!
crazy
GO OIL GO !!

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747733 is a reply to message #747730 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

goffer48 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 17:02

Guys ( and I could give a rat's ass how politically incorrect that may , or may not be )..... It's a choice . It may be more difficult for some, but choosing to be a critic was the easy way out when they were playing crappy. I admit falling into that hole earlier ( 2008 ish ) , but quickly saw on this site, that it wasn't for me. To easy to look for / ignore the negatives, cuz they be right in front of you, The positives be where the joy be.
But it's hard to change. Thank goodness I had Oilfans... er.. I mean Oilcritics ...to show me who I didn't want to be. I mean, I certainly understood it, but it was not a healthy attitude for me... ( HULK SMASH !! TV ... sort of thing Crash . ) I look to see how hard most of these guys ( players ) are trying... & some, I can see, are trying too hard to avoid a mistake. What boils my blood ?? Players who try to take the puck away from the opposition..... FFS Man!! Take the man off the puck !!

Anyways .... I digress. Trust me guys ... it's a lot less stressful and enjoyable if you let yourself become 95% fan and be a critic on 5 % of the time ( you gotta get pissed once in a while !! ) Life is fleeting . So is Glory . Cheer while you can. Just try and forget how much money they make, and what Katz has to pay them out of our pockets with ticks & merch. ... Okay my blood is rising ... enough !!
crazy
GO OIL GO !!

Wouldn't my posts be boring to read though if I went all doughy-eyed about the team though? How would I create any content?!?!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747740 is a reply to message #747733 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Or keep your post count the highest in the land ??!! Check

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747746 is a reply to message #747740 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

goffer48 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 18:27

I did peak as the top poster (I think I knocked off g2k) for a while but I’ve been surpassed. I believe kr55 is more prolific than me.

Not sure if any of us would have passed HBomb though if the old posts weren’t purged. I think he had thousands more than anyone.

It’s never been about post count for me though. I’m pretty passionate about the team and I like talking about them. I doubt you’ll be any more emotional than I will be if they ever actually win again - although maybe it’ll bug you less to see Kevin Lowe strolling around the ice with the Cup over his head.

Hockey isn’t that serious at the end of the day and everyone is welcome to participate however they see fit. If you want to be endlessly positive then that’s great. If someone wants to be critical of the team and point out the issues - that’s pretty fair too.

Honestly I never have wanted everyone to think exactly the same as me. I like to argue these things so it would be no fun if everyone just agreed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747747 is a reply to message #747746 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 19:26

I did peak as the top poster (I think I knocked off g2k) for a while but I’ve been surpassed. I believe kr55 is more prolific than me.

Not sure if any of us would have passed HBomb though if the old posts weren’t purged. I think he had thousands more than anyone.

It’s never been about post count for me though. I’m pretty passionate about the team and I like talking about them. I doubt you’ll be any more emotional than I will be if they ever actually win again - although maybe it’ll bug you less to see Kevin Lowe strolling around the ice with the Cup over his head.

Hockey isn’t that serious at the end of the day and everyone is welcome to participate however they see fit. If you want to be endlessly positive then that’s great. If someone wants to be critical of the team and point out the issues - that’s pretty fair too.

Honestly I never have wanted everyone to think exactly the same as me. I like to argue these things so it would be no fun if everyone just agreed.

I think you got robbed. You were beyond 10k before any of us were close. Must have been from all the horcoff and mact defending icon_wink

After that purge of posts from the origins of the decade of darkness I think Trump and NHL GTD threads have given me the boost need to break from the pack.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2019 19:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747748 is a reply to message #747747 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 19:38

I think you got robbed. You were beyond 10k before any of us were close. Must have been from all the horcoff and mact defending icon_wink

After that purge of posts from the origins of the decade of darkness I think Trump and NHL GTD threads have given me the boost need to break from the pack.

Legally we have to call him “Horcoff the drug cheat”.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747754 is a reply to message #747747 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 19:38

Hell yeah, man.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747737 is a reply to message #747730 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

goffer48 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 17:02

crazy
GO OIL GO !!

So basically, you're advising us to be Positive Pollyanna fans. I get where you're coming from in terms of avoiding stress, but thing is that many of us (myself included) would like to see the Oilers win another Stanley Cup. We don't get too excited about participation trophies, because it is a competition like all sports leagues are.

So anyway, being a rose-glasses wearing fan is not for me. I'm more than a little bit tired of watching the team I follow finish low in the standings and be mocked for always being in the running for the draft lottery. It may have to do with the fact that this is how I cope with being a fan of a team that has made failure its hallmark for most of the past decade and a half.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747742 is a reply to message #747737 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Whatcha ya raggin' on Rags ?? ..... As if what "you people" say has any affect on the outcome of the season. .... And it really doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks in this regard, because despite the critiques offered, I know deep down ,,, you ARE fans !!
Call me a Pollyanna fan if you want, that's just like water off a ducks back to me, and what makes you think I care any less than "you people" icon_rolleyes about the Oilers winning a championship..... I will likely be a lot more emotional than most of "you people" icon_lol when it happens.
I just say it like that because I wasn't just harping on you Rags ...but just all "you critics" out there.
Enjoy the winning ways whilst you can. I was a season ticket holder in the last season of the WHA; saw 99 begin his stellar career as an Oiler, and looking back now, that time passed so fast, then the Decade of Doom was upon us, and although it seemed to take forever, it's over. And now we enter the Era of #97. You People ... you have to understand. It will be fleeting ... like Life itself. I'm not as old as Don Cherry, and probably a tad smarter ( not that this post may indicate that ), But I'm old enough that I can tell you I recall cheering when the Captain of the Leafs ( #10 ) raised the Cup to the fans at Maple Leaf Gardens. There were not so many critics then; we knew nothing of the players' salaries, nor did we care, really. All different now though. Sad . I've blathered on enough . icon_neutral

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2019 19:10]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747816 is a reply to message #747742 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

goffer48 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 19:07

Whatcha ya raggin' on Rags ?? ..... As if what "you people" say has any affect on the outcome of the season. .... And it really doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks in this regard, because despite the critiques offered, I know deep down ,,, you ARE fans !!
Call me a Pollyanna fan if you want, that's just like water off a ducks back to me, and what makes you think I care any less than "you people" icon_rolleyes about the Oilers winning a championship..... I will likely be a lot more emotional than most of "you people" icon_lol when it happens.
I just say it like that because I wasn't just harping on you Rags ...but just all "you critics" out there.
Enjoy the winning ways whilst you can. I was a season ticket holder in the last season of the WHA; saw 99 begin his stellar career as an Oiler, and looking back now, that time passed so fast, then the Decade of Doom was upon us, and although it seemed to take forever, it's over. And now we enter the Era of #97. You People ... you have to understand. It will be fleeting ... like Life itself. I'm not as old as Don Cherry, and probably a tad smarter ( not that this post may indicate that ), But I'm old enough that I can tell you I recall cheering when the Captain of the Leafs ( #10 ) raised the Cup to the fans at Maple Leaf Gardens. There were not so many critics then; we knew nothing of the players' salaries, nor did we care, really. All different now though. Sad . I've blathered on enough . icon_neutral

So, how much did you have to drink before you posted this? If we all took your advice, this forum probably would have closed due to lack of traffic sometime within the past 15 years. I was wrong, you're not asking us to be Positive Pollyannas, you're asking us to be bandwagon-jumpers.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747840 is a reply to message #747816 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Okay Rags, you keep on keepin' on.
I'll watch you lead your existence on OILFANS with a crooked little grin, knowing now, that you are likened to a million other minions on-line who use negativity as their soapbox platform.
It is , after all, your opinion; and we are all entitled to one.

And you're right !! This Site would not be as busy as it is with out the criticisms of its members. ........ I guess I let it get to me too much sometimes and the urge to say something overwhelms me, and I turn briefly to being a hypocrite .

We're not perfect, after all..... FYI... I only drink on the golf course.

BTW. ...... Being on "a Bandwagon" connotates that one will eventually jump off. There is no bandwagon for me. I'm an Oiler fan, and will not deviate from that.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747842 is a reply to message #747840 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

goffer48 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:30

I'll watch you lead your existence on OILFANS with a crooked little grin, knowing now, that you are likened to a million other minions on-line who use negativity as their soapbox platform.

And you're right !! This Site would not be as busy as it is with out the criticisms of its members. ........ I guess I let it get to me too much sometimes and the urge to say something overwhelms me, and I turn briefly to being a hypocrite .

BTW. ...... Being on "a Bandwagon" connotates that one will eventually jump off. There is no bandwagon for me. I'm an Oiler fan, and will not deviate from that.

Don't you EVER refer to my fatalistic sarcasm as negativity!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747858 is a reply to message #747842 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:32

Don't you EVER refer to my fatalistic sarcasm as negativity!

An interesting take on negativity.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747849 is a reply to message #747840 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Criticism only comes when there is something to be critical of. Given that the Oilers have been a sinkhole of failure for most of the past 15 years, there has not been a lot to NOT be critical about. All critics are doing are pointing out what is wrong. You're basically not making much sense, but I guess that's the booze talking.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747857 is a reply to message #747849 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

HMMMMMmmmmm....

Criticism only comes when there is something to be critical of.
.... purely a point of perception;
Given that the Oilers have been a sinkhole of failure for most of the past 15 years, there has not been a lot to NOT be critical about.
...... I can definitely see your point there, but in a round about way, you've made my point...... We're no longer in that 'sinkhole' ; but people seem to be finding it very difficult to trust the positive vibes surrounding the team now.... but negativity is like an addiction that is hard to withdraw from... which initiated my post into this thread.

All critics are doing are pointing out what is wrong.
...... Another point of perception, based on opinion, and not necessarily correct.

You're basically not making much sense, but I guess that's the booze talking.
No merit, No Response

I'm not going to let you draw me any further down towards your level .

I've had enough.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747862 is a reply to message #747857 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

goffer48 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 15:51

HMMMMMmmmmm....

Given that the Oilers have been a sinkhole of failure for most of the past 15 years, there has not been a lot to NOT be critical about.
...... I can definitely see your point there, but in a round about way, you've made my point...... We're no longer in that 'sinkhole' ; but people seem to be finding it very difficult to trust the positive vibes surrounding the team now.... but negativity is like an addiction that is hard to withdraw from... which initiated my post into this thread.

...... Another point of perception, based on opinion, and not necessarily correct.

No merit, No Response

I've had enough.

The Oilers have missed the playoffs 12 out of the past 13 seasons since their playoff run in '06. In that time, they've finished at or near the bottom in most of those seasons which is how they netted 5 #1 overall picks including the one that got them Connor. Are these all just "points of perception"? Is it called something else when people including myself point out these facts?

In a sports league, the general objective is to prove that one or one's team is the best by defeating all others in order to win something call a championship, the one for the NHL being called the Stanley Cup. When a team fails to even qualify for the competition where one can win that trophy, does it not count as a failure to succeed? Do you have a different definition of "success" than the one generally used in professional sports?

"Down to my level"? So basically, you want to hide from facts by calling them "opinions" and only show up to post when the team is doing well. This is borne out when I look at your posting history, as you only seem to show up mostly during times when the team is doing well such as in 2016-17, but not so much in the years before or between that season and this one. You are hilarious to me.

Also, I actually don't mind seeing guys like you around these forums. You know why? Because it allows me at a quick glance to see that the team is indeed doing well- when these forums are mostly empty because guys like you go back to lurking, it means that the team is in the toilet yet again. It's like a Success-O-Meter, and not just for the Oilers but any pro team.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747864 is a reply to message #747862 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 16:22

HMMMMMmmmmm....

No merit, No Response

I've had enough.

The Oilers have missed the playoffs 12 out of the past 13 seasons since their playoff run in '06. In that time, they've finished at or near the bottom in most of those seasons which is how they netted 5 #1 overall picks including the one that got them Connor. Are these all just "points of perception"? Is it called something else when people including myself point out these facts?

In a sports league, the general objective is to prove that one or one's team is the best by defeating all others in order to win something call a championship, the one for the NHL being called the Stanley Cup. When a team fails to even qualify for the competition where one can win that trophy, does it not count as a failure to succeed? Do you have a different definition of "success" than the one generally used in professional sports?

"Down to my level"? So basically, you want to hide from facts by calling them "opinions" and only show up to post when the team is doing well. This is borne out when I look at your posting history, as you only seem to show up mostly during times when the team is doing well such as in 2016-17, but not so much in the years before or between that season and this one. You are hilarious to me.

Also, I actually don't mind seeing guys like you around these forums. You know why? Because it allows me at a quick glance to see that the team is indeed doing well- when these forums are mostly empty because guys like you go back to lurking, it means that the team is in the toilet yet again. It's like a Success-O-Meter, and not just for the Oilers but any pro team.

I don't see any need for us to get in to rock-throwing at each other here over who's the better fan. It's fine if you want to be critical, and it's fine if you don't. Everyone has a different perspective, but this forum is best when there's lots of contributors, and lots of viewpoints.

Now, can we get back to discussing what's really important like David Staples inane quest this week to rehabilitate Peter Chiarelli's reputation through twitter fights?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747865 is a reply to message #747862 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 16:22

HMMMMMmmmmm....

No merit, No Response

I've had enough.

OKAY .. YOU WIN

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #28)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #27)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca